PDA

View Full Version : Metro 2033

Shazam!
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Metro 2033
The first sleeper hit of 2010.

Metro 2033 (M2) is a FPS developed by 4A games and published by THQ for Xbox 360 and PC.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/Metro2033_wiki.jpg/250px-Metro2033_wiki.jpg

M2 is based on the Russian scifi book by Dimitry Glukovsky.

In M2, the world is ravaged by nuclear war. In Russia, many of it's remaining citizens have fled the unliveable radioactive surface and taken underground refuge in the metro sections of the subway systems. With a new threat looming capable of wiping out the remaining survivors, young Artem (spelling) must make his way through to other areas of the station on a dangerous mission to give your people a chance of survival.

Many elements of M2 are clearly inspired by other games. Youll see bits of notable games like Bioshock, Borderlands, FEAR, Far Cry 2, and a passing resemblence to Fallout. While it may not be very original, anything that borrows from that pedigree of games is bound to do some things right. The game is a FPS at heart but it has some stealth, survival horror and scavenger elements all woven in to one complete single player game.

The world of M2 is dark, depressed and eerie. Many monsters and mutants altered by the radioactivity will be your main targets, with some human enemies thrown in from time to time.

The controls take some time to get used to. Any layout I used I wasnt very comfortable with. The shooting mechanics are pretty good but they could be tighter and more accurate.

There are stealth missions in the game, but I found it easier to just take out whoever needed to go with all guns blazing. The stealth mechanics arent very good, but it isnt necessary to always go that route.

The currency of the world is... bullets. High-quality ammo is rare and it's worth much more than the homemade ammo types. You can use it in your guns but it's like shooting cash through your barrels, so saving it is important. You'll find just about everything you need laying around anyway, so buying stuff is not realy a necessity. It seems to serve more of a way of upgrading. I found all sorts of new weapons and stuff everywhere without having to sell the precious bullets.

Weapons are primitively modified with some heavy duty military grade firearms you access later on. M2 makes use of a lot of improvised gadgets and tools. Your gas mask is your best friend in the game, and any time you head to the surface or travel through toxic waterways or other areas, youll need it. You have to be careful and constantly change it's filters, and in combat it can break. This added a nice touch and realism to the game I thought.

The graphics in M2 I thought were primarily top-notch, with just a few complaints of copy-pasted enemies and NPCs. Many of the environments seem to be repeated, but in a dark game like this where shit is destroyed everywhere, what else would it look like?

http://scrawlfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/metro-2033-screens_12-02-09.jpg

The sound is just ok. The repetitive Russian dialogue may wear out to some over time. There is not any real music in the game, and the guns couldve sounded louder.

The map of the Metro stations looks absolutely huge, and if you are being thorough in searching for weapons, ammo and items I can see this game stretching to 20 hours. Im already into it deep and barely scratched the surface on where to go.

M2 delivers little to the table that hasnt been done before, but its mixture of shooting, scavenging, horror and survival works extremely well. In a world where online deathmatches have been put to the top of the pile and done to death, its good to see some expansive single payer epics still feeding the market. This is a quiet game but I think a must play for fans of the genre.

8.5/10

Rated M for Mature- Blood, intense violence, strong language, sexual themes

Shazam!
06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
THQ hopping aboard Metro 2034
By Tom Magrino
GameSpot
Jun 29, 2010

Publisher VP confirms sequel to this year's postapocalyptic shooter from 4A Games will feature 3D elements; platforms, release window TBA.

4A Games' Metro 2033 may not have cracked the NPD Group's top-10 sales chart for March, but analysts still marked it as a top performer for THQ during the month. And while the publisher has yet to officially confirm sales stats for the postapocalyptic shooter, THQ is going ahead with a sequel to the Ukrainian developer's maiden effort.

As part of an interview with CVG, THQ executive vice president of core games Danny Bilson confirmed that a sequel to 2033 is in development. Titled Metro 2034, the game will support stereoscopic 3D elements, according to Bilson. However, the executive did not indicate platforms or a release window, and THQ had not responded to requests for further clarification as of press time.

While Metro 2033 may not have had landmark sales, Bilson noted that the games are relatively inexpensive to make. "There will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest cost center in the world," he noted. "Those games are unbelievably reasonable; they're built in Kiev."

Based on Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky's 2002 novel of the same name, Metro 2033 depicted a near-future Earth where human civilization was obliterated by an apocalyptic tragedy in 2013. With the planet's surface now an inhospitable wasteland overrun by bloodthirsty creatures, humanity's few survivors have taken shelter in Moscow's labyrinthine underground subway system. As the title indicates, the game picks up 20 years after the global cataclysm.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6267130.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=morenews&tag=morenews%3Btitle%3B1

This is great news. Metro 2033 was a quiet sleeper hit and one of the most underrated and unappreciated FPSs of the year. I am looking forward to the sequel. I hope they dont bog it down with all the multiplayer shenanigans like a totally original idea like Team Deathmatch and shit that will water down what was a great campaign.

ikillz0mbies
07-02-2010, 10:56 PM
ahh poo. it's not for the ps3.

Shazam!
07-03-2010, 12:59 AM
ahh poo. it's not for the ps3.

You really need an Xbox 360 man. That's where the best shooters are at.