PDA

View Full Version : The Golf Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

MOtorboat
04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I said it, I love golf. I love watching golf. I love sitting and watching golf.

:cool:

Master's Final Round today. Tiger is not playing well at all. He missed a short one for par on (I think it was 4 - I'm watching baseball too...).

shank
04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
love golf. working on getting a job at the local course so that i can play a lot this summer.

MOtorboat
04-13-2008, 02:40 PM
love golf. working on getting a job at the local course so that i can play a lot this summer.

One of the perks I receive at my job...paper pays for my golf membership.

Bronco9798
04-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't mind watching a little golf. I try to always watch the last round if it's a good battle heading in to the final 18.

BroncoBJ
04-13-2008, 02:43 PM
:elefant: My cousin is a golfer (JJ Henry). :salute:
I mainly only watch golf because of him or if I'm really bored. :lol:

MOtorboat
04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't mind watching a little golf. I try to always watch the last round if it's a good battle heading in to the final 18.

And definitely the Final Round of the Masters. There's something about it.

Broncospsycho77
04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I usually only watch the last rounds of the Masters and US Open. I kinda like the US Opens' final rounds because the course rips the players to pieces. Makes me feel a little better inside.

MOtorboat
04-13-2008, 05:49 PM
OMG...Immelman just sunk one on 16. Oh boy.

Broncospsycho77
04-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Immelman... so clutch. Funny thing is, the tournament he played before the Masters, he missed the cut.

Escobar
04-13-2008, 08:10 PM

is that bobby boy? :lol:

i'll pass on golf, don't like watching grass grow at all

Simple Jaded
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I love Golf, and I love watching Golf......especially this golfer:

http://amaz0ns.com/images/stories/gulbis.jpg How you doin? ;)......

Escobar
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I love Golf, and I love watching Golf......especially this golfer:

http://amaz0ns.com/images/stories/gulbis.jpg How you doin? ;)......

thats what im talking about

Simple Jaded
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
thats what im talking about

MmmHmmm! :beer:......

Skinny
04-14-2008, 06:59 AM
http://amaz0ns.com/images/stories/gulbis.jpg

Damn!

shank
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
i too love hot chicks in addition to golf.

aberdien
04-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I love playing golf and watching golf on tv on occasion. I've gone golfing alot lately with my dad, but I am still terrible :D

MOtorboat
04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
I love playing golf and watching golf on tv on occasion. I've gone golfing alot lately with my dad, but I am still terrible :D

I haven't got out yet this year. I swear that that's going to change on Saturday or Sunday, or both, this weekend...

In-com-plete
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I've got 7 or 8 rounds in so far this year. Played 2 down in Florida back in February and some scattered rounds since. I just got an e-mail this week about my match play golf league starting either April 30th or May 7th so I'm gonna have to get out a few times in the next week or so.

And I'm actually gonna start keeping up for my handicap. I've just got those 7 or 8 rounds entered so far and it's a lot lower than I expected. I can't wait to get the 20 in but hate to see it jump up when I do.

shank
04-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I've got 7 or 8 rounds in so far this year. Played 2 down in Florida back in February and some scattered rounds since. I just got an e-mail this week about my match play golf league starting either April 30th or May 7th so I'm gonna have to get out a few times in the next week or so.

And I'm actually gonna start keeping up for my handicap. I've just got those 7 or 8 rounds entered so far and it's a lot lower than I expected. I can't wait to get the 20 in but hate to see it jump up when I do.

man, you are a jerk :D

since i started playing golf i've been lucky to make it out 7 or 8 times a year!

still trying to get a job at a course so i can change that though. good luck with your league:salute:

aberdien
05-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Went today and played decent (for a 15 year old who sucks which means I got 8's in par 5's) on a few holes on the first 9 holes but then the back 9 I was terrible. But hey i've definately improved...I can hit it from the regular tee-offs and make it past the womens tees (when they're separated).

In-com-plete
05-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I played last Wednesday in my 9 hole work league. I played great. Took a double on #1 and ended up with a 38. Not that score matters as it's a match play. But we do have handicaps for stroke purposes.

I played 2 guys, Tolson & Richardson, since Richardson isn't gonna be there this week. Tolson had to give me a stroke and I had to give Richardson one but I took that hole outright from both of them. Beat Tolson 3-2 and Richardson 7-1 as he was awful that day. First round for him in about a month.

Gonna try and play someone tonight but figure I'll just be playing for practice. Got a 9:30 tee time at Independence (http://www.independencegolfclub.com/view.asp?id=123&page=1524) Friday. Never played there and am looking forward to it.

Broncospsycho77
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Got some tix to the Memorial this year! Hopefully, ol' Tiger's knee will restructure itself and I'll get to see him play at Muirfield this year. Phil, Vijay, and the bunch will be there, too, but we know what the main attraction is...

LordTrychon
05-07-2008, 03:25 PM
I watch and play golf badly.

When I watch, and he's out there... I'm a complete Tiger homer, but I have my other favorites as well. I've been a big Anthony Kim fan since about this time last year and he proved me right this last week. Awesome.

Played for the first time yesterday. Sucked badly... got double or worse on everything until the 9th hole... got a par.

*shrug*

Keeps me going back...

Really?

That's pretty cool, JC!

In-com-plete
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Shot a 43 last night. Struggled out the gate going double, bogey, double. Couldn't putt the entire night. I 3 putt #1, #2, #5, & #9. Three 3 putt boges. :tsk:

But, I did win my match. Good thing the guy I played carries a 2 handicap and I carry a 4. Had to give me 2 strokes (a stroke on 2 holes) and I beat him 4-3. But he had an extremely off night. He'll top 40 about once every year in this league.

MOtorboat
05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Shot a 43 last night. Struggled out the gate going double, bogey, double. Couldn't putt the entire night. I 3 putt #1, #2, #5, & #9. Three 3 putt boges. :tsk:

But, I did win my match. Good thing the guy I played carries a 2 handicap and I carry a 4. Had to give me 2 strokes (a stroke on 2 holes) and I beat him 4-3. But he had an extremely off night. He'll top 40 about once every year in this league.

That sounds like a fun league In...

I'm bad...still haven't got out this year.

In-com-plete
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
That sounds like a fun league In...

I'm bad...still haven't got out this year.

It's a blast. You have a couple/few ****** that can't stand to lose and a couple/few that'll cheat. Never really understood that. You made a double, I made par. So why do you want a bogey put down? You know it's just hurting you in the long run since we keep handicaps right? I'd probably have to give you a stroke or 2 more if you kept your actual score.

But that doesn't happen in the flight I'm in now. The guys are either better than me or right there with me. We have a 1 handicap, a 2 handicap, two 6 handicap guys, and there's 4 of us sitting at 4 right now.

The first couple years I was in it I was in the second flight with a 7-9 handicap and playing alot of guys at 9-12. It's impossible to win matches when you're giving a stroke on 3 or 4 holes. Actually, the year before last I dropped down to a 6 handicap and I played this guy carrying a 12. You know how shitty it is to shoot a 41, watch your opponent drop a 48 or 49 and lose 3-1?

I say that, but I'd rather shoot a 41 and lose than drop a 48 and win. That's why golf is so great. No matter if you're in a tournament, a league, with friends, or by yourself. You're alway competing.....against yourself.

MOtorboat
05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes! Boss came in about an hour ago and said...let's slip out of here and get nine in this afternoon...

Boo Ya!

Later folks!

OB
05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
It's a blast. You have a couple/few ****** that can't stand to lose and a couple/few that'll cheat. Never really understood that. You made a double, I made par. So why do you want a bogey put down? You know it's just hurting you in the long run since we keep handicaps right? I'd probably have to give you a stroke or 2 more if you kept your actual score.

But that doesn't happen in the flight I'm in now. The guys are either better than me or right there with me. We have a 1 handicap, a 2 handicap, two 6 handicap guys, and there's 4 of us sitting at 4 right now.

The first couple years I was in it I was in the second flight with a 7-9 handicap and playing alot of guys at 9-12. It's impossible to win matches when you're giving a stroke on 3 or 4 holes. Actually, the year before last I dropped down to a 6 handicap and I played this guy carrying a 12. You know how shitty it is to shoot a 41, watch your opponent drop a 48 or 49 and lose 3-1?

I say that, but I'd rather shoot a 41 and lose than drop a 48 and win. That's why golf is so great. No matter if you're in a tournament, a league, with friends, or by yourself. You're alway competing.....against yourself.

Damn dude - props - good scores!!!!!

I was super duper happy last week when i shot a 108 (with a foot wedge or two not counted - lol) but the course is super easy - although its a par 5 - i play with a 15 handicapper and he shot a 78 and wasnt even trying cause when he takes me and/or his son he goes to teach more than to play :lol: and yeah he just loves it :rolleyes:

I'd be freakin psyched if i shot in the 90's on a regular basis (and not on par 3 courses either :lol: )

OB
05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes! Boss came in about an hour ago and said...let's slip out of here and get nine in this afternoon...

Boo Ya!

Later folks!

You suck :coffee:

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/ass.gif

Medford Bronco
05-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Boo Ya!

Later folks!

damn I wish I were going, I went once this year in Puerto Rico and it feels like I wont go again for a long while :mad:

LordTrychon
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM

Boo Ya!

Later folks!

WTF?!

I want YOUR job!

:fight:

MOtorboat
05-14-2008, 06:31 PM
WTF?!

I want YOUR job!

:fight:

Yes...I've got a pretty good gig :D

Oh...we're taking all day next Friday off to play in a golf tournament...that should be fun :cool:

Medford Bronco
05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes...I've got a pretty good gig :D

Oh...we're taking all day next Friday off to play in a golf tournament...that should be fun :cool:

what did you and boss shoot?

Skinny
05-25-2008, 11:51 AM
# 10 Golfer "Think I'm going to drown myself in the lake."
Caddy "Think you can keep your head down that long?"

# 9 Golfer "I'd move heaven and earth to break 100 on this course."
Caddy "Try heaven, you've already moved most of the earth."

# 8 Golfer "Do you think my game is improving?"
Caddy "Yes sir, you miss the ball much closer now."

# 7 Golfer "Do you think I can get there with a 5 iron?"
Caddy "Eventually."

# 6 Golfer "You've got to be the worst caddy in the world."
Caddy "I don't think so sir. That would be too much of a coincidence."

# 5 Golfer "Please stop checking your watch all the time. It's too much of a
distraction."
Caddy "It's not a watch - it's a compass."

# 4 Golfer "How do you like my game?"
Caddy "Very good sir, but personally, I prefer golf."

# 3 Golfer "Do you think it's a sin to play on Sunday?"
Caddy "The way you play, sir, it's a sin on any day."

# 2 Golfer "This is the worst course I've ever played on."
Caddy "This isn't the golf course. We left that an hour ago."

# 1 Best Caddy Comment:

Golfer "That can't be my ball, it's too old."
Caddy "It's been a long time since we teed off, sir."

MOtorboat
05-25-2008, 11:55 AM
what did you and boss shoot?

Haha...

You can refer to these threads to find out how that went...
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14453
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14620

BroncoJoe
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Shot a 47 on nine holes this morning. Fricken 8 on the par four #18 ruined a descent game otherwise.

MOtorboat
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Shot a 47 on nine holes this morning. Fricken 8 on the par four #18 ruined a descent game otherwise.

The dreaded snow man.

BroncoJoe
05-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Didn't have anything over six until that. Hit the water, then flubbed my approach. Had a pretty good score going until that damn hole. My brother made a funny comment at the end though - "In any other sport, I'd be winning."

Tned
05-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, I got out for only the second time in about 6 months, which is about the biggest golf drought I have had in 5 years or so.

We played in a three man scramble. I drove great. we used my drive on 13 of 15 driving holes (it's a par 73 so only three par 3's on the course).

However, we all struggled with the short game, and only managed 5 under. With the luck of flighthing, we came in first in the 3rd flight and one $195, which pays for the tournament, cart rental, etc. and gives us about $4 back for each of us.

I am supposed to play tomorrow (no tourney, just playing), but I pulled my groin muscle on the driving range before teeing off yesterday. Something I had never done before playing golf or anything else, and was in severe pain all day. The fact I keep a couple muscle relaxants and Vicoden in my bag in case I throw my back out is the only way I made it through the tournament.

So, I'm bummed, but I don't know that I will be able to play tomorrow.

OB
05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
# 10 Golfer "Think I'm going to drown myself in the lake."
Caddy "Think you can keep your head down that long?"

# 9 Golfer "I'd move heaven and earth to break 100 on this course."
Caddy "Try heaven, you've already moved most of the earth."

# 8 Golfer "Do you think my game is improving?"
Caddy "Yes sir, you miss the ball much closer now."

# 7 Golfer "Do you think I can get there with a 5 iron?"
Caddy "Eventually."

# 6 Golfer "You've got to be the worst caddy in the world."
Caddy "I don't think so sir. That would be too much of a coincidence."

# 5 Golfer "Please stop checking your watch all the time. It's too much of a
distraction."
Caddy "It's not a watch - it's a compass."

# 4 Golfer "How do you like my game?"
Caddy "Very good sir, but personally, I prefer golf."

# 3 Golfer "Do you think it's a sin to play on Sunday?"
Caddy "The way you play, sir, it's a sin on any day."

# 2 Golfer "This is the worst course I've ever played on."
Caddy "This isn't the golf course. We left that an hour ago."

# 1 Best Caddy Comment:

Golfer "That can't be my ball, it's too old."
Caddy "It's been a long time since we teed off, sir."

:elefant:

Those all fit me - #10 the best

No golf this w/e but floated n fished the Illinois - my guy caught the biggest small mouth he ever caught - had to be 5++ pounds - we didnt have camera :tsk::tsk:

In-com-plete
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Got a couple rounds in over the weekend. Hacked around. First golf for me in a couple weeks. Shot a 90 and an 86. :mad:

I was getting off the tee great. Chipped pretty decent. But my approach shots and putting was awful. 36 holes and I had atleast a dozen 6-12 footers. Didn't drain a one of them. And I missed atleast a half dozen 4-6 footers.

On the back 9 of my second round I started coming around though. Was +6 on that 9 by way of three doubles. Two of which were on par 4's were I was 30 yards out laying 1.

Got my league match tonight. Then I have a couple rounds lined up this weekend while I'm at The Outer Banks.

In-com-plete
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Well guys, I'm officially playing bad in my golf league. Shot a 43 last night for the 4th straight Wednesday. I either fall apart the last 3 or 4 holes or my short game just sucks the entire round.

Last night I hit 6 out of 7 fairways. The only one I missed was #9 which slopes hard to the right. I was a foot into the rough. I hit 4 greens (which I'm only hitting 26% on the year) so that wasn't too bad. It's just the freakin' short game that's killing me. I had 3 different chips of 40 feet that I just chunked leaving myself about 15-25 footers for par. I'm just hitting an inch to a half inch behind the ball.

With my putting, I'm either reading the putt right and leaving it 4-10 feet short. Or I'm mis-reading it and shaving the cup. I can't seem to buy a putt.

Over the weekend I played two courses down at Nags Head. Shot an 84 and 81. Had a 4 hole stretch both days where I was +7 that turned those rounds from great ones to average/good ones. Those rounds were the complete opposite of my league rounds. I couldn't hit a fairway down there but my irons, chipping, and putting was pretty decent. Had 4 penalty strokes each round also.

I don't know. It'll come around I guess. It has to.

Oh, and I'm finally gonna get out to Independence (post #21). Was supposed to play a few weeks ago but it rained. It's one of the nicer public courses around Richmond.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I didn't get out this week. :tsK:

Was supposed to play in a tournament yesterday, but it all fell through for me...:tsk:

Tned
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I didn't get out this week. :tsK:

Was supposed to play in a tournament yesterday, but it all fell through for me...:tsk:

I pulled a groin warming up for a scramlbe three weeks ago. I had never done it, and didn't want to abandon the team (not to mention I didn't have a way home), so I played through it. Pain on every swing, which was stupid. Three weeks later, I am still icing/heating it and gulping advil. Doc told me I need to rest it 6 weeks or it will just reinjure.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I pulled a groin warming up for a scramlbe three weeks ago. I had never done it, and didn't want to abandon the team (not to mention I didn't have a way home), so I played through it. Pain on every swing, which was stupid. Three weeks later, I am still icing/heating it and gulping advil. Doc told me I need to rest it 6 weeks or it will just reinjure.

I read that earlier...that really sucks Tned. Looks like you'll be spending more time with us for a month and a half...

Tned
06-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I read that earlier...that really sucks Tned. Looks like you'll be spending more time with us for a month and a half...

Well, I"m three weeks into it. The last two days were the first time the pain of just doing normal stuff started to ease. I knew at the time it was stupid to keep playing, but I figured it would just be real painful the next day or week, didn't think it would be a lingering thing, having never pulled/strained a groin muscle before.

shank
06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
about to play my first golf of the year, just a quick 9 here in copper mountain. i'm anxious, i can't wait to get out there.

shank
06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
was only gonna play 9 but they let us play 18. shot an 88

Broncogator
06-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Going to play Annbriar today, one of the nicest courses in the area but it's the first time I've every been.

http://www.annbriar.com/

Tned
06-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Going to play Annbriar today, one of the nicest courses in the area but it's the first time I've every been.

http://www.annbriar.com/

Let me know what you think. How far from St. Louis?

Broncogator
06-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Let me know what you think. How far from St. Louis?

Very very nice. 25 min tops from the STL area

Broncogator
06-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Played in a scramble at Far Oaks on Sat. First time I've played there when it was green, usually wait for the fall rates, $85 for weekend rates in the summer is a little pricey but it's a great course. Got to see Yadier Molina's house, he just moved to the east side....kinda cool
http://www.faroaksgolfclub.com/

tubby
06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Played 9 this afternoon. Shot a 49, drank some beer. It was fun.

Tned
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Ok, after 7 weeks, I am hoping my pulled groin is finally healed. I played two rounds up in St. Louis area right before heading to memphis to fly to Europe for two weeks. Got back last night, and we are going to play today. Based on only playing three rounds of golf + one three man scramble in the last seven months or so, if I play in the 80's I'll be happy. Main thing is I am just hoping I can work myself back without reinjuring the muscle.

OB
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Ok, after 7 weeks, I am hoping my pulled groin is finally healed. I played two rounds up in St. Louis area right before heading to memphis to fly to Europe for two weeks. Got back last night, and we are going to play today. Based on only playing three rounds of golf + one three man scramble in the last seven months or so, if I play in the 80's I'll be happy. Main thing is I am just hoping I can work myself back without reinjuring the muscle.

Welcome back stranger - good luck today :salute:

I want to play :sad:

Tned
07-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome back stranger - good luck today :salute:

I want to play :sad:

I played solid, but not great. I was just hoping to break 90, but when I shot a 42 on the front, I thought I might come in, in the low 80's. Wound up with 86. My leg got tired on the back nine, and I started to get a little erratic. It will be a good tune up for Sunday.

I rarely play during the week, but since we were taking a day off after the two week trip to Europe, we played on a weekday.

In-com-plete
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
So I've been playing pretty decent all summer. Probably average a round every weekend plus the 9 holes each Wednesday in my golf league. I'd bought this program at the beginning of the year where I track my handicap, fairways, GIR, first putts, up and downs, and a few other things.

So I had 17 scores in there and it counted my best 7 ya know. I had a 9.2 handicap so I knew the next 3 rounds I had to score to keep it under 10. Well then I dislocated the middle finger on my right hand. Played 6 days later in Nashville with my dad and 2 uncles. They all 3 beat me on this 5800 yard course 90-95. I know it was because of my finger cause I couldn't even wrap it or my pointer finger around the club. Needles to say, because of the injury I didn't count that score toward my handicap.

Two days later at my family reunion I shot an 85 but was 9 over on the first 6 holes. About hole 8 I noticed I could actually wrap my hand around the club. My dad shot a 99 that day. My 2 uncles shot 102 and 106. So that just shows how much the hand bothered me that round in Nashville.

Anyway, I entered that round, an 86 at Pendelton, and a combined 84 from last week and the week befores golf league. I'm a 10.6 or 10.8 it said.

But last night in my league I dropped a 34. :elefant: Took a bogey on #1 and left a 6 foot birdie putt a foot and a half short on #9. Best nine holes I've ever played and I know I left a few shots out there. Like the 12 foot eagle putt on #6 that was on line but I left it a foot short. Still made bird but eagle woulda been sweet.

After I finished that 9 the guy I played and I played 10 more holes before the cart had to be in. Par on those 10 would have been 43. I was 3 over.

I just know this weekend I'll put up a 90 or next Wednesday I'll put up a 45. I'll be a 2 handicap in the league now BTW.

Tned
07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
So I've been playing pretty decent all summer. Probably average a round every weekend plus the 9 holes each Wednesday in my golf league. I'd bought this program at the beginning of the year where I track my handicap, fairways, GIR, first putts, up and downs, and a few other things.

So I had 17 scores in there and it counted my best 7 ya know. I had a 9.2 handicap so I knew the next 3 rounds I had to score to keep it under 10. Well then I dislocated the middle finger on my right hand. Played 6 days later in Nashville with my dad and 2 uncles. They all 3 beat me on this 5800 yard course 90-95. I know it was because of my finger cause I couldn't even wrap it or my pointer finger around the club. Needles to say, because of the injury I didn't count that score toward my handicap.

Two days later at my family reunion I shot an 85 but was 9 over on the first 6 holes. About hole 8 I noticed I could actually wrap my hand around the club. My dad shot a 99 that day. My 2 uncles shot 102 and 106. So that just shows how much the hand bothered me that round in Nashville.

Anyway, I entered that round, an 86 at Pendelton, and a combined 84 from last week and the week befores golf league. I'm a 10.6 or 10.8 it said.

But last night in my league I dropped a 34. :elefant: Took a bogey on #1 and left a 6 foot birdie putt a foot and a half short on #9. Best nine holes I've ever played and I know I left a few shots out there. Like the 12 foot eagle putt on #6 that was on line but I left it a foot short. Still made bird but eagle woulda been sweet.

After I finished that 9 the guy I played and I played 10 more holes before the cart had to be in. Par on those 10 would have been 43. I was 3 over.

I just know this weekend I'll put up a 90 or next Wednesday I'll put up a 45. I'll be a 2 handicap in the league now BTW.

Great going. 34, awesome. I assume that was on a par 36? I have been even par on a nine several times, but I have yet to be under par on a nine.

Now that I am finally playing again (didn't play much last year, and only a couple rounds from October until Memorial day, where I strained a muscle real bad which had me off the course for five weeks), my goal is to really focus on scoring. I finished last year with a 9.8 or so USGA handicap index. My goals are 1: keep it under 10, 2: regularly shoot in the 70s (par 72 courses), 3: break par on 9 holes.

OB
07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Damn i just wanna make a birdie :D

Although - ive only been playing 3 years and only go out prolly 6 or 7 times a year - i hit the range alot - but im shooting around 108 (on the easier/shorter courses - of course ;) )

I need a man who will take me golfing more :smile:

Tubby??? :D

shank
07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
i stopped through copper a couple weeks ago and played a round with my parents. i didn't have my clubs, so i used my brothers :tsk:

i'm not blaming it entirely on the clubs, but ya never know, cause my whole game was off bad. worst round of golf i've played in probably 2 years...

i need to petition western to create like a golf club or team or something so that i can play for cheap/free here in gunnison. how awesome would that be?

Tned
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Although - ive only been playing 3 years and only go out prolly 6 or 7 times a year - i hit the range alot - but im shooting around 108 (on the easier/shorter courses - of course ;) )

If I wasn't married, I would be packing up the clubs and heading to OK... :lol:

OB
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
If I wasn't married, I would be packing up the clubs and heading to OK... :lol:

I'll bring the riesling ;) - I prefer the drier - you?

Tned
07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll bring the riesling ;) - I prefer the drier - you?

Drier, less sweet, works for me. :D

OB
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Drier, less sweet, works for me. :D

I got all the sweet you'll need

ok

:focus:

:D

BroncoWave
07-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Some interesting scores in the First round of the British Open.

Rocco Mediate -1 (co-leader)
Greg Norman E
David Duval +3
Jean Van de Velde +3

Phil Mickelson +9
Vijay Singh +10
Ernie Els +10

I'm rooting for Rocco but I think It'd be cool if any of those first 4 people I listed won. As for the ladder 3, I'm about ready to say that none of those 3 will ever win a major again.

Broncospsycho77
07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
WTF is with Greg Norman? When did he become such a beast?

OB
07-18-2008, 01:37 PM
WTF is with Greg Norman? When did he become such a beast?

Its only friday - give him a chance (to choke) nah - i like the shark but old is he ;)

Medford Bronco
07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
speaking of golf, med is actually going to play 18 holes on Sunday.

playing here. http://www.hillviewgc.com/

It is a minor miracle that this is happening. (kids, family, work etc)

I hope to break 95 and I will be happy.

to all the golfers, may all your puts go in, may you hit all greens in regulation
and may all of your drives find the fairway. :salute:

BroncoWave
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm actually pulling for David Duval or Rocco Mediate at this point but it would be cool if Norman won.

Rex
07-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Time to dig up avatars of Rocco!

BroncoWave
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Time to dig up avatars of Rocco!

I told you I'm not going to change it off rafa for a while. :coffee:

Rex
07-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I told you I'm not going to change it off rafa for a while. :coffee:

until he loses.:cool:

BroncoWave
07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
until he loses.:cool:

Well I can already tell you he's going to lose at the Olympics and US Open but I will most definitely not change it off Nadal.

Tned
07-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Ok, I'm finally starting to get some regular play going. Not quite up to the level I was at when I finally got my handicap under 10 last year, but we'll see. I'll be ok with anything under 90 today, but would like to see myself 85 or lower, and even though I have only played 6 times in the last 9 months and 3 times in the last three weeks, I actually feel like I am on the verge of breaking 80. So, we'll see. I tee off in less than 2 hours.

Medford Bronco
07-30-2008, 01:34 AM

Like Tned said i would be on a plane to OK if I was not happily married.

Some guy is going to be very happy playing golf with you OB420. :beer:

Keep playing, it will be great for you in the long run;)

Medford Bronco
07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Some interesting scores in the First round of the British Open.

Rocco Mediate -1 (co-leader)
Greg Norman E
David Duval +3
Jean Van de Velde +3

Phil Mickelson +9
Vijay Singh +10
Ernie Els +10

I'm rooting for Rocco but I think It'd be cool if any of those first 4 people I listed won. As for the ladder 3, I'm about ready to say that none of those 3 will ever win a major again.

Mickelson is so talented and with no Tiger at the PGA he has a great chance still. Vijay as well. Els on the other hand has lost his game completely. It is sad I enjoyed the old Ernie Els with his smooth swing. The Big Easy was great in his day.

Tned
07-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Like Tned said i would be on a plane to OK if I was not happily married.

Some guy is going to be very happy playing golf with you OB420. :beer:

Keep playing, it will be great for you in the long run;)

And if she was to play in that Islander's jersey and boots in your sig.... :D

Medford Bronco
07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
And if she was to play in that Islander's jersey and boots in your sig.... :D

Now that would be great :D:beer:

and bTW Tned, med is going again on Friday. Only 9 at the scene of my last disaster. At least it is not at the crack of dawn this time.

I Hope to shoot a 45-50 and I will be happy.

I am capable of a 41 or 42 or a 56 or 57. Real consistent :lol:

Tned
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Now that would be great :D:beer:

and bTW Tned, med is going again on Friday. Only 9 at the scene of my last disaster. At least it is not at the crack of dawn this time.

I Hope to shoot a 45-50 and I will be happy.

I am capable of a 41 or 42 or a 56 or 57. Real consistent :lol:

Yea, consistency is tough in this darn game.

In-com-plete
07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Had my 34 a couple weeks ago and it dropped me to a 2 handicap in my league. All be damned if the schedule doesn't just work out for me to play the top golfer last week along with the second best as a make-up. They're both 1 handicaps.

The best shot a 32 and the other shot a 37. I shot a 40 and got beat 6-0 and 3-2. :mad:

Took 3-1 loss last night when I shot a 43. Those 3 holes the dude beat me on was that 3 hole stretch of triple, double, double. That's frustrating.

OB
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Had my 34 a couple weeks ago and it dropped me to a 2 handicap in my league. All be damned if the schedule doesn't just work out for me to play the top golfer last week along with the second best as a make-up. They're both 1 handicaps.

The best shot a 32 and the other shot a 37. I shot a 40 and got beat 6-0 and 3-2. :mad:

Took 3-1 loss last night when I shot a 43. Those 3 holes the dude beat me on was that 3 hole stretch of triple, double, double. That's frustrating.

Sand bag damn it - sand bag :lol:

j/k

tubby
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Rome is going off on 'Golf Guy'. Pretty funny stuff.

In-com-plete
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
:elefant:So I finished up my golf league last night. Although, if I had won the first or second half I'd be playing in the championship match next week. My first half record was 4-2-1. And my second half record was 3-3-1.

Anyway, I beat Mark 4-3 last night. I'm either 3-0 or 4-0 against him in the league. It's hilarious because I've just played with him a half dozen times in the league and 3 or 4 times on weekends and I've never scored better than him. But every time we go head to head I beat him.

So my scores this year are:

I averaged a 40.67 this year. Last year it was a 42.10. And the year before it was a 45.27. That's 4½ strokes per round I've shaved over the last 2 years. A stroke every other hole in other words.

Last week I had 2 guys comment on how I'm the most improved golfer over the past few years. I told them it's funny they say that considering I average the same scores on the weekends right now that I did over the past 3 or 4 years.

shank
08-18-2008, 12:53 AM
played at copper today and shot a terrible 104... but i did it with like 12 stitches in my hand, with a fear of poppin them out... we drank a lot too. it was fun.

In-com-plete
08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
So I've got 24 rounds in this year and I got my handicap down to a 9.8 according to my program. Dropped a 79 last weekend that erased an 86 from back in April. :cool:

Got a round lined up tomorrow morning at Spring Creek (http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com/?page=3836). It's the best public course in Virginia in my opinion. Well, the best public course in Virginia that I've played. This year Golf Digest ranked it the best new public course under $75.

I've played there 5 times over the last year and a half. I think my best round there is a 92 and I hit triple digits there last fall. This past spring I shot a 94 out there. I specifically remember I had 41 putts that day. I think I hit 5 fairways also.

But I've been telling my dad about this course since I first played it. How tough and nice it is. I swear I think the LPGA or Nike Tour will end up having an event there someday. But mHe and my uncle came in early for my wedding Saturday so the 3 of us (and possibly one of my ushers) are gonna play.

Tned
08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
So I've got 24 rounds in this year and I got my handicap down to a 9.8 according to my program. Dropped a 79 last weekend that erased an 86 from back in April. :cool:

Got a round lined up tomorrow morning at Spring Creek (http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com/?page=3836). It's the best public course in Virginia in my opinion. Well, the best public course in Virginia that I've played. This year Golf Digest ranked it the best new public course under $75.

I've played there 5 times over the last year and a half. I think my best round there is a 92 and I hit triple digits there last fall. This past spring I shot a 94 out there. I specifically remember I had 41 putts that day. I think I hit 5 fairways also.

But I've been telling my dad about this course since I first played it. How tough and nice it is. I swear I think the LPGA or Nike Tour will end up having an event there someday. But mHe and my uncle came in early for my wedding Saturday so the 3 of us (and possibly one of my ushers) are gonna play.

Awesome on the handicap. I only have 9 rounds in this year, and my handicap is going in the wrong direction, but I am starting to get my game back in shape. I ended last year with 9.8 or 9.9, the first time I ever cracked 10. I then didn't play between the end of September and a week or two before Memorial day, then on memorial day, I pulled my groin on the practice tee before tourney (3 man scramble) and kept playing anyway in excruciating pain (actually had vicoden with me and was taking it to get through the round, which was STUPID).

I then had to take 5 weeks off of golf to let it heal, and even when I came back, I altered my swing to limit my turn to avoid hurting. It's only been the last couple rounds I have been able to swing without feeling it pull, but now I have an uphill battle to get my handicap back down, since I have posted scores ranging from the mid 80's to high 90's this year, and have been bumping off lower scores.

I have a 76 and 80 which are going to be bumped out of my last 20 pretty soon, so my handicap is going to take another jump up if I can't quickly get down to scoring in the low 80's high 70s.

OB
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Everyone who is golfing now or in the next week and a half can all drop dead and go to hell - that is all :coffee:

Tned
08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Everyone who is golfing now or in the next week and a half can all drop dead and go to hell - that is all :coffee:

Well, if the weather is good, I hope to play twice this weekend and twice on Labor day weekend :D

OB
08-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, if the weather is good, I hope to play twice this weekend and twice on Labor day weekend :D

I hate men :mad:

Mine is going to Myrtle Beach next week for the big World ProAm deal - MF'r - if my plan works the hurricane should ruin the trip - (j/k) (yeah - thats it - im kidding)

Hasnt taken me golfin once this year - not freakin once - POS :coffee:

:listen: My bday is Sept 3 - so like if you need a caddy or anything that weekend :D

Tned
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I hate men :mad:

Mine is going to Myrtle Beach next week for the big World ProAm deal - MF'r - if my plan works the hurricane should ruin the trip - (j/k) (yeah - thats it - im kidding)

Hasnt taken me golfin once this year - not freakin once - POS :coffee:

:listen: My bday is Sept 3 - so like if you need a caddy or anything that weekend :D

Wish my wife wanted to play. I have tried to get her to take lessons, but she only did once.

OB
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Wish my wife wanted to play. I have tried to get her to take lessons, but she only did once.

Well then i can be your wife :D :elefant:(at least when you golf )

Tned
08-23-2008, 06:06 PM
I had one of my most frustrating rounds ever today. Certainly most frustrating in years.

I shot an 83, which is solid for me, but it should have been soooo much better.

I par the first 5 holes. I miss the green to the left on the par 3 6th, and chunk the chip, then get up and down on the next chip. Next hole is a par 5, on in three and three putt. Then on the next hole I miss the green left and hit a horrible chip, then two putt. Next hole, i'm on in two and FOUR putt for a double. Out with a 41.

On 10, hit the green reg (par 4) and three putt. On 11, a short par 4 (290ish), I hit a drive about 15-20 yards in front of the green (hammered) and chunk the pitch and then get up and down for par. Next par 4 (number 1 handicap), I'm short in 2, chunk the lob shot, and get up and down for bogey (but anoher horrible chip, and had to sink long putt).

Miss the next par 3 left, chunk the pitch, then get up and down for bogey. Par five, on in three and make par. Next, par 3 hit the gree and have a 30 foot putt and only hit the first putt about 15 feet, three putt bogey. Next, par four, great tee shot then I hit a litle fat and I am just short of the green. Horrible chip, two putt bogey.

Next par four, hit the green, three putt bogey. Par'd the par 5 18th with a two putt (lousy lag putt, but sunk a nasty sidehiller).

Just eliminating the three putts and four puts (nearly never three putt these days), and I have a 78, and that doesn't even count all the chunked pitch shots.

My short game has been on all year, and today I am firing darts and when I miss the green it is just off, never once in trouble on a tee shot, and hit quite a few greens, and I have the worst short game day I have had in years.

Golf is a cruel game.

In-com-plete
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Played Spring Creek last Thursday with my dad and uncle. I swear there's just something about that course. Before we tee'd off I was a wreck. All nervous and everything. I haven't been like that since I played in college.

I started out double, triple, double with 2 penalty strokes and a 3 putt. I calmed down and got back to back bogeys. One of which was another 3 putt and my first GIR.

Turns out I shot a 47 on the front with those two 3 putts, 2 penalty strokes, 2 GIRs, and 2 fairways hit. Which I'm hitting 60% or 61% for the season. And somehow, I had my 3 wood headcover on my 7 wood and my 7 wood headcover on my 3 wood. I didn't figure this out until after I tee'd off on #15. I hit that 7 wood 3 times and the 3 wood once before I even realized this. :lol:

But on the back I straightened things out. Really it started at #6 when I got my first par. I hit 6 or 7 of the last 10 fairways. Started striking the ball better, especially with my irons. And even though I ended up with four or five 3 putts, I actually putted pretty well. Well considering they'd just aireated the greens two days earlier.

Anyway, I shot an 41 on the back for an 88. My dad and uncle both said this was the hardest course they'd ever played. And we played the "Onyx" tees which are the middle of the 5. The other times I've played there I played the ones one up from the tips.

I also played a captains choice thing saturday before my wedding. Had 11 people playing so we had 2 foursomes and a threesome. My group was -3 through 7. -4 through 10. Not too bad considering my best man had never played before and one of my friends only plays about 3 or 4 times a year. But we hit the beer hard starting on #9. The 4 of us drank 30 beers over the last 10 holes. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the 6 foot eagle putt we all four missed on #17 and the 4 foot birdie putt we missed on #18. Ended up at 4 under. Tied with the other 2 groups. :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
A little humor for you golfers:

Subject: Golf, Wine & Italians

An 80-year-old Italian goes to the doctor for a check-up. The doctor is amazed at what good shape the guy is in and asks, "How do you stay in such great physical condition?"

I'm Italian and I am a golfer," says the old guy, "and that's why I'm in
such good shape. I'm up well before daylight and out golfing up and down
the fairways. I have a glass of vino, and all is well."

"Well," says the doctor, "I'm sure that helps, but there's got to be more to it.
How old was your Dad when he died?" "Who said my Dad's dead?" The doctor is amazed. "You mean you're 80 years old and your Dad's still alive. How old is he?" "He's 100 years old," says the old Italian golfer. "In fact he golfed with me this morning, and then we went to the topless beach for a walk and had a little vino and that's why he's still alive. He's Italian and he's a golfer, too."

"Well," the doctor says, "that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it than
that. How about your Dad's Dad? How old was he when he died?" "Who said my grandpa's dead?" Stunned, the doctor asks, "You mean you're 80 years old and your grandfather's still living! Incredible, how old is he?" "He's 118 years old," says the old Italian golfer.. The doctor is getting frustrated at this point, "So, I guess he went golfing with you this morning too?" "No. Grandpa couldn't go this morning because he's getting married today."

At this point the doctor is close to losing it. "Getting married!! Why
would a 118 year old man want to get married?"

"Who said he wanted to?"

Medford Bronco
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I actually played 9 holes at Tewksbury Country Club.

I am not a great golfer but did shoot a 49 on a par 33. I am okay off of the tee but
am pitiful on the greens. I hope to someday get better and be able to shoot consistently in the lower 40s. (when I actually have time lol in 10 tears :lol: )

Side note, I played with new clubs today. a full set of Orlimar http://www.orlimar.com/
(The X3 Forged full set). It was very enjoyable

njbroncosfan
09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I played 9 holes this past Monday at a local course and had one of my better rounds of the season. Hit my fairways pretty much all day, no penalties, no mulligans, no lost balls. 5 bogeys, 2 pars, but the last two holes killed me. Triple on the 190 yard par 3 8th, and I hit one of my best shots all days to put me in position to save a double bogey on the final hole :ahhhhh:

OB
09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
FINALLY got to play yesterday - 1st time in many months - hit decent on the range - got to the course - butthead has to be all rushy - :mad: i hate when he does that - so my first 5 or 6 holes sucked ass

I got a par :woot: a few bogeys but my putting was atrocious - partly due to the rush factor but the last 9 were great - i shot a 46 on the last nine - not much to you guys but prolly the best 9 i ever played and it was a par 5 course - so i was pretty pumped - i did lose 3 balls (but i play with cheapie balls anyways)

I was totally psyched cause my chipping was much improved - need a new putter (hint hint for anyone who wants to buy my a very expensive xmas present :D ) - i 3 putted (minimum) every whole execpt when i made par and one time i made like an 8 footer

I made it on the green from the tee on a par 3 (which distance wise isnt anything but accuracy is a big deal, in my case) and i made it on the green in 2 on a par 4 (then like 3 or 4 putted :ugh: )

It was nice to get out and play for a change - it was warm but not OK stupid hot - so it was a nice day

Went to the Eagles concert sat night - for the opening of our new BOK Center

That kicked ass too - they were awesome - i mean they really were - they havent lost anything

shank
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
k i'm looking to get a new set of clubs. i am looking at complete sets because i don't have a ton of money to buy driver, woods, irons, wedges, putter, and bag separately...

there doesn't seem to be a ton of choices out there, but from searching around i have found these two sets:

Adams Tight Lies complete set (http://www.amazon.com/Adams-Tight-Lies-Full-Set/dp/B001CRT0R4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_6)
and
Jack Nicklaus 747 LD complete set (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3002559)

i found the adams clubs for 325 shipped... anyone have experience or know about either of these two sets? maybe you have another suggested set/route of upgrading my clubs? i'm leaning toward the niklaus set. should i wait til winter? there will probably be lots of clearances and such won't there?

thanks golfers!

OB
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
k i'm looking to get a new set of clubs. i am looking at complete sets because i don't have a ton of money to buy driver, woods, irons, wedges, putter, and bag separately...

there doesn't seem to be a ton of choices out there, but from searching around i have found these two sets:

Adams Tight Lies complete set (http://www.amazon.com/Adams-Tight-Lies-Full-Set/dp/B001CRT0R4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_6)
and
Jack Nicklaus 747 LD complete set (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3002559)

i found the adams clubs for 325 shipped... anyone have experience or know about either of these two sets? maybe you have another suggested set/route of upgrading my clubs? i'm leaning toward the niklaus set. should i wait til winter? there will probably be lots of clearances and such won't there?

thanks golfers!

Go to any golf store and they usually have demo sets for you to try out - or the pro shop of your golf course - they also have demo days at ranges and courses too

IMO i wouldnt buy anything without trying them out first - too much money to invest blindly

Good luck :beer:

shank
09-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Go to any golf store and they usually have demo sets for you to try out - or the pro shop of your golf course - they also have demo days at ranges and courses too

IMO i wouldnt buy anything without trying them out first - too much money to invest blindly

very true. but i live in gunnison :(

guess i'll wait til i run up to denver next.

Medford Bronco
09-11-2008, 06:01 PM

I bought my Orlimar blindly and love them. :salute:
Good luck shawshank

I paid $299 and they were originally $599

The Orlimar X 3
http://www.orlimar.com/

High M.O.I. equals high performance. Orlimar X3 brings all of the latest advances in club weight distribution into one sophisticated solution. A full Titanium 460cc driver, Stainless fairway woods, hybrid irons and undercut irons make this THE clubs to own!

Lofts:
Driver: MRH 9.5°, 10.5°.
Fairway Wood : MRH 15°, 19°,
Hybrid Iron: MRH 19°, 22°, 25°,
Iron Set: MRH 3 and 4 hybrid-graphite, 5-PW undercut-steel
Iron Set: MRH 3, 4 and 5 hybrid,6-PW undercut-all graphite

njbroncosfan
09-15-2008, 10:57 PM
What OB, you dont even say hi?

Medford Bronco
09-16-2008, 08:22 AM

I will say high to a fellow hockey fan:salute::beer:

Go Rangers and Go Canes (to indulge myself lol)

OB
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I played 9 holes this past Monday at a local course and had one of my better rounds of the season. Hit my fairways pretty much all day, no penalties, no mulligans, no lost balls. 5 bogeys, 2 pars, but the last two holes killed me. Triple on the 190 yard par 3 8th, and I hit one of my best shots all days to put me in position to save a double bogey on the final hole

Is that my joisey boy :eek:

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

I miss you - and horsey - i emailed him a quickie the other day - he says you dont talk to him anymore and he is deeply deeply hurt :tsk::tsk:

OB
09-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Post more and maybe id notice :coffee:

shank
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
i ordered blindly. they should be here thursday. *crosses fingers

njbroncosfan
09-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Is that my joisey boy :eek:

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

I miss you - and horsey - i emailed him a quickie the other day - he says you dont talk to him anymore and he is deeply deeply hurt :tsk::tsk:

yes it's your joisey boy.

I havent spoken to either of you forever, or anyone else here, for that matter. He shouldn't take it personal. He always was a lil ***** though. haha. Tell him I said that.

And Hi Med! Go Rangers! :cool:

OB
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
yes it's your joisey boy.

I havent spoken to either of you forever, or anyone else here, for that matter. He shouldn't take it personal. He always was a lil ***** though. haha. Tell him I said that.

And Hi Med! Go Rangers! :cool:

oh i am soo going to tell him :heh: -please tell me you will be coming around a bit more :hat:

horsesense
09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
FOREEEEE!!!!
Looks like the yankees will be getting in plenty of golf here real soon.

OB
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
FOREEEEE!!!!
Looks like the yankees will be getting in plenty of golf here real soon.

Bite both of us :tsk::tsk:

So now that im getting a lil better - when you visiting family again :D

njbroncosfan
09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
oh i am soo going to tell him :heh: -please tell me you will be coming around a bit more :hat:

I shall try.

So, you guys know what's sad? My first post in this thread about golf is the last time I played! :mad:

OB
09-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I shall try.

So, you guys know what's sad? My first post in this thread about golf is the last time I played! :mad:

:Cry:

the first time i played all summer was 2 weeks ago

with clubs i bought :laugh:

horsesense
09-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Both of you need to spend more time on the driving range, and less time watching that pathetic baseball team. I aint plaing golf with yankee hacks...

OB
09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Both of you need to spend more time on the driving range, and less time watching that pathetic baseball team. I aint plaing golf with yankee hacks...

Liar - you know you would play with me :aetsch:

And all my golf stuff is broncos related anyways ;) But i can always wear a Jeter jersey just for you :D

horsesense
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Jeter gets a pass. Ive always liked him. He's a class act.
I would play golf with you, and NJ ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.

OB
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Jeter gets a pass. Ive always liked him. He's a class act.
I would play golf with you, and NJ ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.

:hug:

I still say you guys need to come to me since im in the middle :D

horsesense
09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Im in for a round at Southern Hills:mullet:
We just need to find a way to get NJ there. He's "so busy" choking down ozzies weiners, and yanking himself blind he forgot all about his friends.:lol:
Whats this bronco equipment youre carrying around these days?

OB
09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Im in for a round at Southern Hills:mullet:
We just need to find a way to get NJ there. He's "so busy" choking down ozzies weiners, and yanking himself blind he forgot all about his friends.:lol:
Whats this bronco equipment youre carrying around these days?

"Is your favorite team the Yankees" :lol:

Southern Hills - havent played it - gotta have a membership to get in there and its stupid money to get one -

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.asp?course=917645

There is a nice course called Forest Ridge we could play though - but it kicks my ass so i would prefer to play a one thats a bit easier (plays 7000+ from the back tees but its still killer for me even from the womens tees)

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.asp?course=1312156

Battle Creek is what ive been playing lately -

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.asp?course=1574456

hmm :confused: i didnt realize it is actually longer - but obviously easier (slope and rating wise)

Karsten Creek is supposed to be the best in OK - its where OSU plays (and they have some good golfers)

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.asp?course=1453056

But check out the green fees $300 :eek: vs $30 for twilight at Battle Creek

horsesense
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Im up for any of'em just as long as I can keep my mullet:mullet:
I dont remember where I played last time there. (ill get back to you on that one tho. as I kept the scorecards) We played a couple of really nice courses, and the green fees didnt make it miserable either. Nothing worse IMO than paying big bucks, and stinking up the place.

Shep
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
8:22am tomorrow
http://www.kingsdeergolfclub.com/golf/proto/kingsdeergolfclub/index.htm

horsesense
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Nice looking course.. Hit'em straight, and have fun..

OB
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
8:22am tomorrow
http://www.kingsdeergolfclub.com/golf/proto/kingsdeergolfclub/index.htm

Pretty looking course - -
Its a Links style course?

Ive never played one - are they way different?

Shep
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Pretty looking course - -
Its a Links style course?

Ive never played one - are they way different?

I'm not versed enough to know all the differences, but on this type of course it's easy to get in trouble off the fairways. As with other tracks wheree you could shank a drive and end up in another fairway. This course, you hit it off the fairway and it's gone.

Links type courses tend to make me swing a little more conservatively. I don't believe there are any trees on this course either.

horsesense
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
There are fewer trees on a links course. I wouldnt say there way different. Then again I dont play enough where it really matters either.

horsesense
09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I played here last sat. www.sanjuanhillsgolf.com I posted an 89 from the white tees.
This is one of the best values in the OC. They actually let you play free on your BD providing it falls during the week.

Shep
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I played here last sat. www.sanjuanhillsgolf.com I posted an 89 from the white tees.
This is one of the best values in the OC. They actually let you play free on your BD providing it falls during the week.

Shoot that one looks nice. I'd love to play that.

horsesense
09-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Its fun. I had my longest drive on #6. Its downhill up to the last 125-150yds where it goes back up-hill again. I got lucky ( my dad used to say we create our own luck) and hit the cart path just right, and the ball rolled all the way to the up-slope. It ended up being about 390 yds. I still give all my long hitting buddies grief about it. My normal tee shot is between 225-240 yds depending on the factors. As you can see Im not strong off the tee at all, but my short game makes up for it.

Medford Bronco
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
This ought to spice this thread up

http://z.about.com/d/golf/1/0/h/D/paula_creamer_05safeway1.jpg

http://blog.bunkershot.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/4paula1.jpg

horsesense
09-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Youre the Man Med. Thank-You!:beer:

horsesense
09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, Shep should be making the turn at Kingsdeer GC. Hopefully hes playing well, but more importantly lets hope he's having fun.

OB
09-19-2008, 10:17 AM

89 :eek: why you have to intimidate :tsk: :laugh:

Thats ok - Im out of the 120's even the 110's im in the low 100's now - so i shouldnt hold you up too much - :behindsofa:

If we could get joisey to come this way (along with you) maybe med can join then we'd have a foursome :salute:

I promise to get back in shape and wear a short skirt and putt the Villegas (sp?) ;)

Anyone watching the Ryder or know the score - US was down 1 when i left for work

horsesense
09-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I only broke 90 cause we were teeing from the whites.
Im sure youre looking as good as always. How short a skirt?;)

OB
09-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I only broke 90 cause we were teeing from the whites.
Im sure youre looking as good as always. How short a skirt?;)

That will depend on what kind of shape im in ;) - hopefully by then - cause i know it will prolly be at least a year :mad::tsk: i can be back to where i was before

I know med getting here would be a real stretch - i know how hard it would be for him - but i dont think you or joisey should have any excuse :hand:

horsesense
09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Spring Break sound about right?

OB
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Spring Break sound about right?

I'll take it :beer:

horsesense
09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
The US is up 3-1 after this am's rounds.:beer:

Shep
09-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, Shep should be making the turn at Kingsdeer GC. Hopefully hes playing well, but more importantly lets hope he's having fun.

Well it wasn't a great round, but I had a blast. Nothing better than golf, beer and a nice cigar.

Had major trouble on two holes. Par 5 3rd. Two in junk off the box, 1 in the water on the approach and took a 12. Par 5 5th, 3rd shot in the junk, tried to get it out and finally had to take an unplayable for a 10.

Ended up with a 92.

horsesense
09-19-2008, 08:01 PM
:beer:Very Nice! And So true. Nothing better than a couple of your favorite beverages, a/some fine smoke, and a great time.:cool:
Im playing the Navy course @ Seal Beach in the morning. I hope to finish before the wind kicks up. Ill post later. Have a great weekend every-one!

horsesense
09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Good news/bad news.
I shot a 35 on the front, and a 39 on the back, but it was on the Cruiser course. (par is 62). Still had a great time, and kept it down to just 2 double bogeys. Hopefully the rest of you are making the best of it..
GO Broncos!

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 10:35 AM
The US is up 3-1 after this am's rounds.:beer:

Rider Cup should be a lock minus any major idiocy...

Like Azinger's slottings today...

Go U.S!

horsesense
11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
playing Pala Mesa in the morning. The course is in prime shape right now. We were out there last month and they had just re-seeded the fairways, and the greens were done 2 weeks before that. Im gonna stay down, and play loose...

horsesense
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I suck!!! Had no business out there saturday. Playing form the championship tees didnt help either. It was a humbling experience to say the least.
The Bloody Marys were off the chart though, and did help adjusting the attitude some. (kept me me tossing my clubs in the drink)

OB
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
i hit balls last weds - 90 - 10 were total shankers - i had some nice ones but when i go alone i dont do as good as when my "coach" is there

3 years and I cant keep my damn head down :mad:

horsesense
11-26-2008, 01:02 PM
The wind brings out the worst in me. I overswing and end up topping, or pulling everything. Ive been playing for 20 plus years, and I have never been more frustrated than I was last weekend.

drewloc
02-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Hopefully going to pick up a new set of irons today, woohoo! It's been something like 10 years since I bought my last set.

shank
02-26-2009, 12:04 AM
how much can i expect to pay to reshaft my woods and driving irons? i'm a dumbass and bought regular flex.

OB
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
how much can i expect to pay to reshaft my woods and driving irons? i'm a dumbass and bought regular flex.

depends on where you go - IMO reshafting and regripping is the best way to go money wise

its like buying a used car though - be weary

horsesense
03-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I usually do'em myself. Its real easy.
Playing today at the Navy course. The weather is a perfect 10 for golf. Im sooo glad we set the clocks forward last weekend. Nothing better then a twilight round of golf with friends.:beer:

drewloc
04-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm really looking forward to getting out and playing this week. It's supposed to be really nice near the end of the week, and it will be my first round with my new irons.

MOtorboat
04-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm really looking forward to getting out and playing this week. It's supposed to be really nice near the end of the week, and it will be my first round with my new irons.

Played a course yesterday that was soggy as shit, and since my game is rusty (as in maybe five rounds in the last two summers), I couldn't hit the ball anywhere. Consistently drove it down the middle, not far, but down the middle, and consistently flubbed second shots, taking massive divots...it was ugly.

Thnikkaman
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Got to play 9 holes last week. Hit my divers and irons pretty well but my short game is shite.

Tned
04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I haven't played since September or so, because I have been trying to rehab a severely strained groin. Hope to start playing again next month.

Broncospsycho77
04-20-2009, 10:00 PM
My drives would be a cozy 250 yds if they didn't curve 50 yards left and/or right.

MOtorboat
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
My drives would be a cozy 250 yds if they didn't curve 50 yards left and/or right.

I was hitting a pretty consistent 225-240 yesterday in the fairway...I have a slice, but the more I play, the more I can control it. Stupid second shots. The fairways were soaked to shit, and I was dipping my shoulder trying to get more distance (not good)...and I couldn't hit a second shot, or a chip...to save my life. :tsk:

horsesense
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
shot an 87 at San Juan Hills GC saturday. My putter was off a little or it could have been one of those epic days.

gnomeflinger
05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
You guys watch golf? That's almost as much fun as watching paint dry. :rolleyes:

Golf is to be played, not watched.

Skinny
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
You guys watch golf? That's almost as much fun as watching paint dry. :rolleyes:

Golf is to be played, not watched.T.V. does'nt do it justice really. I use to be the same way till i went to a Heritage tournament at Hilton Head many moons ago. After that, i actually looked forward to watching some on the weekends. Ever been to a tourney?

Broncospsycho77
05-04-2009, 05:31 PM
T.V. does'nt do it justice really. I use to be the same way till i went to a Heritage tournament at Hilton Head many moons ago. After that, i actually looked forward to watching some on the weekends. Ever been to a tourney?

Yeah, I was about to say exactly what Skinny said; you really don't truly appreciate the scale to which they play if you haven't seen it live first. Some of these holes are so painstakingly difficult and have so many slopes, such deep roughs, and such creative hole design and obstacles... even an HDTV can't capture the magnitude that these courses take to ensure players don't score well. And they still do. These guys make miracle shots over and over again, and they have to keep making those shots to win, easy as that. Winners of these tournaments ravish these courses that we wouldn't even have a strategy when playing.

gnomeflinger
05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
T.V. does'nt do it justice really. I use to be the same way till i went to a Heritage tournament at Hilton Head many moons ago. After that, i actually looked forward to watching some on the weekends. Ever been to a tourney?

Yeah, I was about to say exactly what Skinny said; you really don't truly appreciate the scale to which they play if you haven't seen it live first. Some of these holes are so painstakingly difficult and have so many slopes, such deep roughs, and such creative hole design and obstacles... even an HDTV can't capture the magnitude that these courses take to ensure players don't score well. And they still do. These guys make miracle shots over and over again, and they have to keep making those shots to win, easy as that. Winners of these tournaments ravish these courses that we wouldn't even have a strategy when playing.

Okay, that's fair. I haven't seen a live game. Well, a game where people are getting paid to golf. I've seen plenty of bad games - mine included. :lol:

drewloc
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Okay, that's fair. I haven't seen a live game. Well, a game where people are getting paid to golf. I've seen plenty of bad games - mine included. :lol:

I hear that, I've been struggling with my game as of late. Need to get more consistant. On a side note though, it really does help seeing them live. The magnitude of it hits you when you are there. I hope to be able to watch the US Open at Pebble Beach someday. That place is my dream course.

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Anyone watching the Players today?

gnomeflinger
05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Mr. G and I got to play golf on some Cancun resort course. It was humid and then turned to raining gatos and perros. We made it to the 14th hole, then had to call it a day. A lot of people didn't make it past the clubhouse at the 9th hole because of the open bar on and off the course. They were very amusing on the ride back to the hotel. :laugh:

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Greatest hole in golf. Pure awesomeness.

BroncoNut
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Greatest hole in golf. Pure awesomeness.

what is the greatest hole in golf?

dumb question, but um.. is par the same for every course? And also is hole 3 always a par 3 or whatever, wherever you go?

thanks

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 05:04 PM
what is the greatest hole in golf?

dumb question, but um.. is par the same for every course? And also is hole 3 always a par 3 or whatever, wherever you go?

thanks

Are you watching the Players Championship nut?

The 17th at TPC Sawgrass is an island green, and the drama is awesome.

BroncoNut
05-10-2009, 05:06 PM

no, I think I will check it out though.

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM

It's on NBC. It's fun to watch.

OB
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Best hole in golf!!!!!!

drewloc
05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Best hole in golf!!!!!!

Definitely one of the best holes in golf. I also love #17 at Pebble Beach. That hole is amazing as well.

OB
05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Par 3's are the most fun to watch IMO, cause of the hole in one factor

I think horsie played pebble beach

In-com-plete
05-28-2009, 11:35 AM

A good friend of mine has a cousin who used to be one of the pros there. My friend has a picture of himself teeing off there at the 17th. He has it blown up and in his game room. You can actually see the ball in the top of the pic. It's pretty sweet.

But he said he hit 6 or 8 balls before he got one to stay on the green.

OB
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
well hopefully i will hit at least one golf course during my week off - wish me luck :beer:

Broncospsycho77
06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Tiger's ridiculous. Hit every fairway in the final round of the Memorial. All 14. Fourteen.

He could beat people by upwards of ten strokes if he didn't use his driver so often, IMO.

BroncoWave
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Tiger's ridiculous. Hit every fairway in the final round of the Memorial. All 14. Fourteen.

He could beat people by upwards of ten strokes if he didn't use his driver so often, IMO.

Agreed! There are several tournaments in which he'd be better off not even putting a driver in his bag. He showed today that he can win without it.

Poet
06-08-2009, 01:09 AM
I wish I could understand golf. I get the concept of the different uses for clubs and what not, but to me it always looks like the same thing. A guy hits the ball and unless he really shanks it I can't tell if he did well or not. I also have issues watching a single guy or two and then missing out on crap.

I am not saying that it is not a great sport, I am just saying why it is lost on me.

Broncospsycho77
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I wish I could understand golf. I get the concept of the different uses for clubs and what not, but to me it always looks like the same thing. A guy hits the ball and unless he really shanks it I can't tell if he did well or not. I also have issues watching a single guy or two and then missing out on crap.

I am not saying that it is not a great sport, I am just saying why it is lost on me.

It's a really, really unforgiving game, so there's a lot to appreciate when these guys are as hot as they are. Hitting all of the fairways in a round, like Tiger did yesterday, is simply amazing. There are so many variables on one swing that it's very difficult to pinpoint errors in your stroke if you're a pro.

As far as clubs go, it's basically one idea: as the iron number goes down (7 iron to 6 iron, for example), the distance increases, but then the loft of the club decreases, so the ball will travel at a more line drive-like path, which is more difficult to both spin and pinpoint. So if a guy sticks a shot within ten feet of the hole using like a 4 iron, it's very impressive that he was able to stop the ball where it did. Also, the science behind these guys' shots are insane... they could take maybe 10 different kind of shots based on the position of the hole, obstacles, hazards, etc. that may cause them to hit a trajectory that's right-to-left, left-to-right, extremely high, really low to the ground, where the ball will actually bounce once before it spins (a "stinger"), or no added spin at all and let it roll... the options are really endless. If you don't play golf (I haven't played in 1-2 years), it's really hard to appreciate the shots that they do. Hitting the ball to 15 feet from the hole on any given fairway shot is infinitely harder than it looks. These guys are on the uppermost tier of golf... it's really ****ing hard to do that stuff consistently for most people.

shank
06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
i played at copper mountain yesterday and shot an 88. it was a fun day.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-17-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12861737

STATELINE, NEV. — Although golf's top players were in Scotland there was some celebrity power at Lake Tahoe on Friday, where Tony Romo was among those vying for the lead and John Elway was near behind.

The Dallas Cowboys quarterback and the Broncos Hall of Famer were among 89 past and present sports stars, actors and politicians competing for the $600,000 purse in the first round of the 20th annual American Century Celebrity Golf Championship at Edgewood-Tahoe Golf Course.

Elway was tied for 10th with Ken Whisenhunt. They were one point behind Vinny Testaverde and Jeremy Roenick.

Former Broncos safety John Lynch was 61st and former Denver coach Mike Shanahan was 69th.

Charles Barkley, the longshot in the field who was paired with actor Ray Romano, spent several months earlier this year trying to revamp his swing during a Golf Channel series with Tiger Woods' swing coach, Hank Haney.

"Ray, are you doing the 'Haney Project' next year?" Barkley asked Romano. "Hank's a yeller and a screamer."

"So's my wife," Romano shot back before plugging his latest animated movie with the gallery on the first tee.

"Why aren't you people at 'Ice Age?"'

The field included Wayne Gretzky, introduced as "the greatest hockey player of all time"; Jerry Rice, "the greatest wide receiver in NFL history"; and ultimate fighter Chuck Liddell, "the toughest man in the field."

Michael Jordan, a tourney regular who has tired of the lengthy mention of his accomplishments during the introductions over the years, requested he be introduced only as "playing out of Chicago, Illinois."

Friday's round featured some of sports' fans all-time dream pairings:

— Romo with NFL Hall of Fame quarterbacks John Elway and Dan Marino

— Jordan with NBA greats Ray Allen and Penny Hardaway

— Gretzky with former NHL All-Stars Pierre Larouche and Grant Fuhr

— Running backs Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen and Marshall Faulk, who had a hole-in-one on the 169-yard, par-3 17th that borders the lake.

Before Barkley teed off, the mayor of South Lake Tahoe, Calif., thanked him for contributing $190,000 the past two years to a fund for victims of a wildfire that burned more than 250 homes atLake Tahoe in 2007. He also presented him with a blown-up copy of a $5 betting ticket with Barkley's 750-1 odds — which actually dropped to 499-1 by the time play began.

"I've heard you may want to get into politics," Jerry Birdwell said about the most popular golfer on the course. "I hope you don't decide to run for mayor of SouthLake Tahoe because I'd be out of a job." Barkley's stop-and-go swing showed some improvement, hitting his first drive more than 225 yards down the right side of the fairway.

But he let a few expletives go and slammed his bag with his club when he chipped into a greenside bunker on the par-3 5th and couldn't get out in three shots.

Nevertheless, he and Romano entertained the biggest gallery on the mountain course that winds through tall pines along the azure lake atop the Sierra.

"All that weightlifting aint' paying off for me, Ray," Barkley said before his 60-foot putt for par came up an inch short on the par-3 7th.

"It's an easy game," he deadpanned after the tap-in bogey, his best score of the day at that point.

Romano's par on the same hole cost him $20 when he told a boy on the tee he'd give him that much if his tee shot landed on the green, and it did.

"You're probably going to follow me around now," he told the boy after producing the money.

MOtorboat
08-16-2009, 05:48 PM
This is a freakin' choke-fest.

Tned
08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeppers, except for the chip in eagle.

MOtorboat
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeppers, except for the chip in eagle.

I feel like Jim Nance right now, but that was definitely the shot I'll remember if he wins.

MOtorboat
08-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Nevermind...wow...

Tned
08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
That was a heck of a shot. Guys only won one PGA event up to this point. Big time pressure shot.

Tiger deep in the rough, so he will need a miracle chip.

BroncoWave
08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Biggest choke job of Tiger's career. Couldn't hit a putt longer than 5 feet all day. He played WAY to damn conservative over the last 2 rounds and it finally caught up to him. Yang played well and was definitely the deserving player but Tiger should have smoked him. I am very disappointed.

Overtime
08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm glad someone other than Tiger won it. Tiger is a hell of a golf player, but I just get so sick of hearing his name. Tiger this Tiger that, blah blah blah. Tiger...take a round off, it's high time someone else got the spotlight for a change.

Congrats to Y.E. Yang on his PGA Championship win.

BroncoWave
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm glad someone other than Tiger won it. Tiger is a hell of a golf player, but I just get so sick of hearing his name. Tiger this Tiger that, blah blah blah. Tiger...take a round off, it's high time someone else got the spotlight for a change.

Um, seeing as the last 5 majors had been won by Paidrig Harrington (x2), Angel Cabrera, Lucas Glover, and Stewart Cink, I would say he has done a damn fine job of sharing the spotlight and it was his turn to win another one today. Too bad he didn't cash in.

MOtorboat
08-16-2009, 08:01 PM

I suggest you pay attention a little more before making comments (seems to be a theme). Tiger has won only 5 tournaments this year, no majors, and six straight majors have gone by without him winning.

Broncospsycho77
08-16-2009, 08:40 PM
His (Yang's) shot on 18 was un-friggin-believable. That shot blew my mind. YE's probably the best player to ever play in the same group with Tiger and perform with that Tiger crowd.

Still, Tiger seemed a little out of it... kind of like when he came in second at the US Open at Pinehurst a few years ago... everything was just that much off. Every one of his putts just skimmed the outside of the hole. His approach shots just missed the fringe and then buried in the rough. He was off on the last round, and some of his club selections were just a little off. But he's still doing well considering he was working on walking again at this point last year.

I think that some of the people in the PGA are gonna be scared at Augusta next year. Tiger'll be back.

MOtorboat
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
I think that some of the people in the PGA are gonna be scared at Augusta next year. Tiger'll be back.

But that's what everyone thought at the PGA...when he led for three rounds.

Tiger needs to retool the swing...hire a new coach...do something different...he's losing his edge...

Tned
08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
But that's what everyone thought at the PGA...when he led for three rounds.

Tiger needs to retool the swing...hire a new coach...do something different...he's losing his edge...

It's the nature of golf, his putts weren't dropping, he was a 'little' off on his approach shots. He has been much more accurate on his tee shots, and if he had dropped putts like he normally does, he would have walked away.

MOtorboat
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
It's the nature of golf, his putts weren't dropping, he was a 'little' off on his approach shots. He has been much more accurate on his tee shots, and if he had dropped putts like he normally does, he would have walked away.

It's not the nature of Tiger.

He's been off. He needs to do something. What it is, I don't know. But he needs to start with the putting.

I never thought I'd see the day where some unheralded dude stared down Tiger and won.

That's like staring down Doc Holliday at high noon.

BroncoWave
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
It's not the nature of Tiger.

He's been off. He needs to do something. What it is, I don't know. But he needs to start with the putting.

I never thought I'd see the day where some unheralded dude stared down Tiger and won.

That's like staring down Doc Holliday at high noon.

The surprising thing is that in his last two tourneys I think he had only missed 1 or 2 putts under 10 feet the whole time. His putter was on fire until this week and it just flat out died today.

Tned
08-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Again, it's the nature of golf. It's also the nature of a golfer getting older. The first thing to go is the putting, even the great ones.

However, I don't think we are their with Tiger. He had a couple shots that took bad bounces and wound up in deep green side rough, and he missed a few putts. He's had plenty of rounds like this before. The difference is, that typically whoever he is playing with folds worse -- they always show the high scoring average of the guys paired with Tiger, especially in the final round.

Lonestar
08-16-2009, 09:25 PM

hell I'd love to be that "off" in my game..

Tned
08-16-2009, 09:47 PM
hell I'd love to be that "off" in my game..

Me, too.

Thnikkaman
08-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Tiger is a total gamer. I really think he needs to swallow his pride and go back to Butch Harmon who was his swing coach at the top of his game. Sure Bud takes a lot of credit for Tiger's game, but seeing the way Tiger has played without Bud coaching him gives Bud credibility.

Shep
08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Tiger is a total gamer. I really think he needs to swallow his pride and go back to Bud Harmon who was his swing coach at the top of his game. Sure Bud takes a lot of credit for Tiger's game, but seeing the way Tiger has played without Bud coaching him gives Bud credibility.

It's Butch Harmon. I think Tiger is doing pretty good, since the British. Two wins and 2nd at the PGA is more than 90% of guys on tour do in their entire careers.

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
It's Butch Harmon. I think Tiger is doing pretty good, since the British. Two wins and 2nd at the PGA is more than 90% of guys on tour do in their entire careers.

Right, but he's not one of those 90%. Hell, he's not even 98%. He's probably the greatest golfer to ever live.

Thnikkaman
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM

I am less of an Ex Las Vegas resident for getting that mixed up.

Shep
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I am less of an Ex Las Vegas resident for getting that mixed up.

Bud/Butch eh... Butch is Phil's swing coach. I know Phil has other things on his mind right now, but he's still not swinging well, nor has he since before Amy's illness.

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Bud/Butch eh... Butch is Phil's swing coach. I know Phil has other things on his mind right now, but he's still not swinging well, nor has he since before Amy's illness.

I didn't watch a whole lot of the early tee times yesterday, and once Paddy had the quad bogie on eight (or whatever hole that was), they didn't really show anyone else after that anyway...but the two swings I saw him take were atrocious.

Shep
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I didn't watch a whole lot of the early tee times yesterday, and once Paddy had the quad bogie on eight (or whatever hole that was), they didn't really show anyone else after that anyway...but the two swings I saw him take were atrocious.

The really fun part was watching Angel Cabrera putting for birdie to go -2 on one hole, then watching him throw up an 11 on the next hole (a par 3) to end up at +10.

Makes me feel a lot better about my own game.

OB
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
That was a great round of golf yesterday - I kept saying it was the tides turned for tiger - he is usually the one pulling something out of his ass - I missed seeing padrigs snowman though - I wanted to see it and I missed Angels deal too - didnt even hear about that

LordTrychon
08-18-2009, 01:01 AM
That was a great round of golf yesterday - I kept saying it was the tides turned for tiger - he is usually the one pulling something out of his ass - I missed seeing padrigs snowman though - I wanted to see it and I missed Angels deal too - didnt even hear about that

Padraig's 8 was horrible. I saw it coming too, when he had that same view out of the rough, staring at the green with water behind it.

Ouch.

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
for you golfers this is way to funny. even IF you do not play Tim Conway is fall down funny.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEig1D4sJdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEig1D4sJdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtR2kGBHEW8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtR2kGBHEW8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tt8t08lD43w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tt8t08lD43w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GA0HyqSGAa8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GA0HyqSGAa8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3dm6DA_CNU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3dm6DA_CNU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLLIbIk3j_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLLIbIk3j_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qv3aPEBx7Z0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qv3aPEBx7Z0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tned-Mobile
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
On a business trip in Spain and played my first round of golf in a little over 18 months. Ok, not entirely true, as I played in a scramble last october or November, but it is my first real round of golf.

Wasn't as bad as it could have been, but not great. It was a reasonably tough course, but not super tough, I think the course rating was around 74 and slope around 125 (going by memory, as I didn't keep a card).

They claimed to have europe's longest par 5, but I don't think it's the case anymore. From the tees we were playing, it was 560 meters long, which is about 612 yards, which is the longest par 5 I have played. No elevation change to help you, in fact it was a littl up hill for the second half of the hole. I hit my drive to the right and wasn't sure if it was findable, so played a provisional, which I clocked down the left side of the fairway (the entire landing area sloped hard right). I found my first ball behind a big bush and to chip out 45* backwards down the fairway and to a spot about 40 yards behind my provisional, then cracked a three wood and then an iron on to the green and bogeyed the 612 yard monster, after essentially taking a penalty stroke on the punch out.

Inconsistent after so much time off and shot a 91, which included a few bad drives, 4 three putts, and several pitiful pitches and chips. So, it wasn't a great score, but there were a lot of easy strokes left on the course.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-30-2010, 12:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5342934

Hank Haney, Tiger Woods' swing coach who parted ways with the world's No. 1 golfer in May, told Golf Digest in an interview that his relationship with Woods "didn't get dysfunctional; it always was dysfunctional."

In a wide-ranging interview in the magazine's August issue, Haney said that he worked with Woods intermittently and that Woods didn't plan ahead much (leaving Haney to speculate when he would need to travel to meet Woods). He also indicated his relationship with Woods was rocky at the 2010 Masters.

According to Haney, after Saturday's round at Augusta National, Woods told Haney he was unhappy with how he'd played despite being in contention. "Then on Sunday when he warmed up, he wasn't open to suggestions. He wasn't asking what he should do."

Haney said they talked only two times after that. "That was his way of blaming me," Haney said in the interview. "Maybe I'm reading too much into it; maybe I'm being too sensitive. But when someone doesn't talk to you ... ."

After they left Augusta National, Haney said he sent Woods an e-mail with suggestions on what he needed to work on. "I got no acknowledgement at all, but that wasn't unusual," Haney said. "Then it got to the point where I didn't know what he was doing or thinking. Yet the whole time he was telling the media I was still his teacher and that I was going to continue to be his teacher and I was talking to him every night."

Haney told Golf Digest he thought Woods was surprised when he decided to part ways on the day after The Players, where Woods withdrew with a neck injury during the final round.

"I think he was quite surprised, but that really would be a question for him," Haney said. "This was something I'd been thinking about for a long time. I knew that this was not going to last forever."

Haney was Woods' coach for six years. During that time, Woods won six of his 14 major championships.

"Six years for a coach is a long, long time," Haney said. "How many baseball managers or football coaches make it six years? Not many. The difference in my case is, it was my decision."

Haney told Golf Digest that Woods doesn't need a coach for his swing. "He needs what a friend can offer," Haney said. "Whether he values my friendship and whether he feels I can offer anything as a friend, that's up to him."

Haney said he was in China when Woods was involved in an auto accident outside of his home in the early-morning hours after Thanksgiving. Woods' life then became tabloid fodder, as stories of marital infidelity surfaced. Woods spent time in a rehabilitation clinic.

Haney said he didn't see Woods in person between that day and March 8, as Woods prepared to return to golf at the Masters.

"I'm proud of Tiger for accepting responsibility and getting some help," Haney said in the Golf Digest interview. "I think that's all a man can do. There was one report that said I left him because I was morally against what he did. That's not true. I really believe that everybody makes mistakes. You take responsibility for your mistakes and try to come back, and he truthfully has. I don't like what Tiger did, but I give him credit for accepting responsibility and trying to get better."

He also said that he was present at four of the five sessions where controversial Dr. Anthony Galea treated Woods. Galea is a Canadian doctor who has been charged by U.S. and Canadian officials with conspiracy, smuggling, unlawful distribution of human growth hormone and introducing the unapproved drug Actovegin into interstate commerce. Woods has denied taking any illegal substances, and Haney backed him up. "There was never anything that went into Tiger Woods' body that didn't come out of his body," Haney said.

Haney stressed he still considers Woods a friend.

"It's the greatest opportunity a teacher could ever have," Haney told Golf Digest. "I'm so thankful for it. It's just incredible. I learned so much. The experiences were almost indescribable. I got to stand next to and watch the greatest golfer who ever lived."

MOtorboat
05-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Needed to dig this thread back up.

Good playoff coming up with McIlroy and Rickie Fowler

BroncoNut
05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
this thread makes me a little sad. I miss OB420. I thought she was cool. Shit, she's probably a great grandmother by now

MileHighCrew
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I didn't watch the tournament yesterday, but I shot +8, which for me is a very good score. Came really close to a hole-in-one on the 8th hole. 156 yard par 3, about 3 feet away. It was great and sucked all at the same time to be that close and it not go in.

BroncoNut
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I wonder if OB still smokes a lot of pot

Poet
05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
She's still a fine ass cougar.

shank
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
She's still a fine ass cougar.

lol, wut?

Thnikkaman
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Went out and played 18 this morning. I've been struggling for a long time to get back down to my ~13 handicap that I played with before I got married. Been trying hard to break 100, went out and shot a 93. Feeling pretty good right now.

MOtorboat
02-17-2013, 05:35 PM
No one wants to win the Northern Trust.

BroncoJoe
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I completely failed at golf this (last) year. Did not play a single round :(

MOtorboat
02-18-2013, 02:56 PM
I completely failed at golf this (last) year. Did not play a single round :(

I think I only played once. I want to get back into it this year.

BroncoJoe
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
What makes it even more of a fail, is I live on a golf course.

MOtorboat
02-18-2013, 03:01 PM
What makes it even more of a fail, is I live on a golf course.

Good grief, Joe.

Skinny
02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/G9enpD8.gif

MOtorboat
03-03-2013, 04:44 PM
It's a bad thing when the final round of a PGA Tournament isn't as interesting to me as reruns of Pawn Stars...

MOtorboat
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm watching Ernie Els' press conference and all they want to ask him about are Rory McIlroy and the anchored ban on long putters...

Thnikkaman
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm watching Ernie Els' press conference and all they want to ask him about are Rory McIlroy and the anchored ban on long putters...

That's got to suck. Reminds me how the rest of the Broncos players must have felt when Tebow was the starting QB.

MOtorboat
03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
That's got to suck. Reminds me how the rest of the Broncos players must have felt when Tebow was the starting QB.

Well, he has moved to the belly putter, himself, so that's a legitimate question to ask him, but the Rory stuff got kind of awkward.

They got around to talking about his autism charities, and brought Donald Trump on, who owns the course they're playing at this week and made a big donation to Els' charity.

MOtorboat
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
RT @JasonSobelGC Rory McIlroy on a text message he got from Tiger Woods this morning: "He told me to get my finger out of my ass and win this week."

aulaza
04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Seriously excited about the masters. Watching the Par 3 really gets me in the mood!!

BroncoWave
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Masters Week is one of the best weeks of the year in sports. I cannot wait! Really hoping Tiger can pull this one out.

Chef Zambini
04-12-2013, 09:26 PM
love augusta, its #1 on my bucket list of sports venues!
more than lambeau, more than alp d'uez.

the 14 year old made the cut, that's awesome!
enjoy the masters everyone !

Chef Zambini
04-13-2013, 11:17 AM
anyone following this BS about tigers drop on 15 friday?
WTF is wrong with the PGA? !!!
people can call in and aSSES PENALTIES THAT THE officials who were on the course, with the group did not?
... and then to assess the penalty after the fact?
WTF?
what other sport would even consider sucha process?
I want to call travelling on an NBA player, have his slam dunk taken away.
I noticed that batter had his back foot out of the batters box when he hit that home run.
NFL fullback did not have his shirt tucked in when he crossed the goal line.
what a huge pile of horseshit this all is!

Ravage!!!
04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
It's always been that way. Has been since the PGA was televised. I find it to be VERY odd, but, the PGA likes it because it keeps people watching and it gives them a thousand more eyes to watch for alll the infractions that can occur on a golfcourse. SOoooo many damn, stupid, rules. THere are only a few officials on the golf course, and they can't see everyone considering there are woods, bends, trees, ravines, and sand traps.

I guess I always chuckle when I hear that a fan "called in" on the infraction, but am used to it.

BroncoWave
04-13-2013, 11:32 AM
The fact that golf lets fans call in to report rules violations is a big of a joke as their is in sports. It puts guys like Tiger at a huge disadvantage since every one of his shots is televised. How about hiring enough officials to police things instead of relying on fan call-ins?

I also think it's an even bigger joke that people are saying Tiger should DQ himself. There is a new rule protecting you from being DQ'ed for singing an incorrect scorecard if it was correct when you signed it, and changed after the fact. The fact that you could be DQ'ed for that before is also a joke.

I really like golf, but they have some gay-ass rules. Thankfully this new one that protects golfers from being DQ'ed makes sense.

MOtorboat
04-13-2013, 11:49 AM
The fact that golf lets fans call in to report rules violations is a big of a joke as their is in sports. It puts guys like Tiger at a huge disadvantage since every one of his shots is televised. How about hiring enough officials to police things instead of relying on fan call-ins?

I also think it's an even bigger joke that people are saying Tiger should DQ himself. There is a new rule protecting you from being DQ'ed for singing an incorrect scorecard if it was correct when you signed it, and changed after the fact. The fact that you could be DQ'ed for that before is also a joke.

I really like golf, but they have some gay-ass rules. Thankfully this new one that protects golfers from being DQ'ed makes sense.

While I agree that viewers, and CBS and NBC shouldn't be allowed to inform PGA of rules violations, the two shot penalty was assessed because of something he said in his post round interview with CBS.

BroncoWave
04-13-2013, 11:51 AM
While I agree that viewers, and CBS and NBC shouldn't be allowed to inform PGA of rules violations, the two shot penalty was assessed because of something he said in his post round interview with CBS.

But the only reason what he said raised that many eyebrows is because they were already alerted by a fan that something was amiss on that hole. Had they not already been alerted and looked into it, I highly doubt they would have looked into it just based on that comment in his interview.

MOtorboat
04-13-2013, 11:54 AM
But the only reason what he said raised that many eyebrows is because they were already alerted by a fan that something was amiss on that hole. Had they not already been alerted and looked into it, I highly doubt they would have looked into it just based on that comment in his interview.

I don't know about that, because they'd already ruled he did nothing wrong, then he had the interview and came back to it. So, it's possible.

I think it's kind of dumb that they could re-review it based on that too...

Seems ridiculous all the way around to me.

BroncoWave
04-13-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't know about that, because they'd already ruled he did nothing wrong, then he had the interview and came back to it. So, it's possible.

I think it's kind of dumb that they could re-review it based on that too...

Seems ridiculous all the way around to me.

Yeah, once you sign your scorecard and they OK it, that should be it. No other pro sport changes things after the fact. And I don't see why a tournament like the Masters doesn't pony up to hire enough competent officials to police everything in the first place.

Ravage!!!
04-13-2013, 12:34 PM

It was actually the comments from his interview that allowed him NOT to be disqualified.

First, I'm GLAD Tiger is still in the tourny, as it makes it SOOO much better.

That being said, he should have been disqualified. As disgussed on the radio this morning, the rule for the committee to disqualify someone states that ignorance of the rules are NOT a reason not to disqualify someone.

Then, even in the added admendum, the rule states that ignorance of the rule CAN be justfied if the player has no reason to know, or, does not have any way of being advised of such rule. How can ANYONE say that he did not have access to be advised of such rule when in playing at Augusta? Officials are available to be called at any moment. A ruling as to where to drop, is always on call.

So I DO think that because Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods, they allowed the 2 stroke penalty instead of the obvious disqualification. I'm still glad that they ruled it this way, but don't think that if it were any other player, they would have.

Ravage!!!
04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah, once you sign your scorecard and they OK it, that should be it. No other pro sport changes things after the fact. And I don't see why a tournament like the Masters doesn't pony up to hire enough competent officials to police everything in the first place.

Because it's golf. The same reason that there is no official score keeper to keep your card for you, is the same reason they don't have an official walking around behind you watching every move. The game of golf is SUPPOSED to be self policed. That's the point of the game. That's why they don't have some 'ref' at every tree, and why they don't have an official score keeper and you have to sign your card. Signing your card doesn't mean you didn't cheat when signing your card, which is why they allow penalties to be dished out after signing them. If they didn't, then a player could "hurry up" and sign his card so that he couldn't be penalized for a wrongful placing or moving of his ball.

Now one could say that if the game is to be "self policed"..why do they allow people to call in? Because the game of golf is supposed to be a gentelman's game in that you self police, however, people that watch your game...such as those you play with or spectators, can call a penalty on you IF you do not call it on yourself. So, the PGA allows calls in because they are "spectators" just as much as your party or those on the sidelines watching the match.

No other sport allows for the opposing teams to call penalties against you, but Golf does. It's not the same thing as every other sport. People you are playing with, people you are playing against, those that are watching, officials on the course, and you (yourself) can all call infractions against your shot.

BroncoWave
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM
So I DO think that because Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods, they allowed the 2 stroke penalty instead of the obvious disqualification. I'm still glad that they ruled it this way, but don't think that if it were any other player, they would have.

I completely disagree. There is a new rule this year that allows you not to be DQ'ed if your scorecard was correct when you signed it and changed after the fact. Assuming they follow that rule, any golfer would have been allowed to keep playing.

BroncoWave
04-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Because it's golf. The same reason that there is no official score keeper to keep your card for you, is the same reason they don't have an official walking around behind you watching every move. The game of golf is SUPPOSED to be self policed. That's the point of the game. That's why they don't have some 'ref' at every tree, and why they don't have an official score keeper and you have to sign your card. Signing your card doesn't mean you didn't cheat when signing your card, which is why they allow penalties to be dished out after signing them. If they didn't, then a player could "hurry up" and sign his card so that he couldn't be penalized for a wrongful placing or moving of his ball.

Now one could say that if the game is to be "self policed"..why do they allow people to call in? Because the game of golf is supposed to be a gentelman's game in that you self police, however, people that watch your game...such as those you play with or spectators, can call a penalty on you IF you do not call it on yourself. So, the PGA allows calls in because they are "spectators" just as much as your party or those on the sidelines watching the match.

No other sport allows for the opposing teams to call penalties against you, but Golf does. It's not the same thing as every other sport. People you are playing with, people you are playing against, those that are watching, officials on the course, and you (yourself) can all call infractions against your shot.

Yes, I know how golf works, I've been watching it for years.

My point is that I think it's stupid how they operate. I get that "self policing" is a tradition of the sport, but i think it's dumb. On the professional level, you have guys playing for millions of dollars in these tournaments, and that opens the possibility of a lesser player, who isn't on TV and won't be caught, breaking a rule and not policing himself so that he can make the cut and make a bit more cash. I have no doubt this has happened.

This is why every pro sport but golf has 3rd party refs who police and score the games themselves. It's all well and good to say it's a "gentleman's game" and the players can police themselves, but it's really not practical. If you had refs that made these decisions, it would eliminate most controversies like this.

MOtorboat
04-13-2013, 01:16 PM
It was actually the comments from his interview that allowed him NOT to be disqualified.

First, I'm GLAD Tiger is still in the tourny, as it makes it SOOO much better.

That being said, he should have been disqualified. As disgussed on the radio this morning, the rule for the committee to disqualify someone states that ignorance of the rules are NOT a reason not to disqualify someone.

Then, even in the added admendum, the rule states that ignorance of the rule CAN be justfied if the player has no reason to know, or, does not have any way of being advised of such rule. How can ANYONE say that he did not have access to be advised of such rule when in playing at Augusta? Officials are available to be called at any moment. A ruling as to where to drop, is always on call.

No. It was the new rule that allowed him to stay in.

It was the interview that led to the penalty.

The statement from Augusta National:

"Yesterday afternoon, the Rules Committee was made aware of a possible Rules violation that involved a drop by Tiger Woods on the 15th hole.

"In preparation for his fifth shot, the player dropped his ball in close proximity to where he had played his third shot in apparent conformance with Rule 26. After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules.

"After he signed his scorecard, and in a television interview subsequent to the round, the player stated that he played further from the point than where he had played his third shot. Such action would constitute playing from the wrong place.

"The subsequent information provided by the player's interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning. After meeting with the player, it was determined that he had violated Rule 26, and he was assessed a two stroke penalty. The penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player's round."

- Fred Ridley, Chairman, Competition Committees

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/22065005/augusta-national-statement-on-tiger-woods

BroncoWave
04-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Also, Rav, I find it odd that you would say the Masters bent the rules to let Tiger stay in because he is a star and it helps ratings, but when someone says the NBA is trying to get the Lakers into the playoffs to help ratings, you call them conspiracy theorists. Not being very consistent there.

Chef Zambini
04-14-2013, 02:42 AM
in his interview he said he moved back, 'a couple yards"
I think he just mis-spoke and meant a few feet, because the ViDEO makes it look like he was within 2 feet of his original divit!
what I did NOT know is that unlike the other 3 MAJORS, a rules official is NOT assigned to every group.
I love golf and augusta, but too much of the golf rule book is pedantic bullshit!
when they DQ.d the walrus for "building a stance"
because he put down a towel to keep his pants clean as he kneeled to take a shot, I knew then that GOLF was F';d up !
that was also the masters and a call from a TV viewer !

aulaza
04-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Yes, but he moved it back to get a better lie, therefore gaining an advantage. Otherwise why would he have done it? That's the whole point - he gained an advantage. This is actually case where a rule was meaningfully broken, unlike the incident you mention. The rule he broke was not 'pedantic BS'.

I do kind of hope he doesn't win now, only because it will always be tarnished if he does. I think it would be better for him to just withdraw. Having said that, I hope now that the decision has been made we can just move on and enjoy the rest of the masters.

aulaza
04-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Also just to add, presumably this development mean that, under this new rule, a precedent has been set that nobody should be disqualified for handing in an incorrect scorecard? Otherwise it really will be making an exception for Tiger.

MOtorboat
04-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Also just to add, presumably this development mean that, under this new rule, a precedent has been set that nobody should be disqualified for handing in an incorrect scorecard? Otherwise it really will be making an exception for Tiger.

I don't think that's what this does, specifically. It saves a player from coming to the course the next day and finding out they reviewed a play and then disqualified him. If a player knowingly submits a scorecard that is invalid with a rules violation that the rules committee has already ruled on before he signs his scorecard, then that player is still going to get disqualified.

It looks bad because its Tiger, but that's how the rule seems to read.

aulaza
04-14-2013, 07:21 AM
I don't think that's what this does, specifically. It saves a player from coming to the course the next day and finding out they reviewed a play and then disqualified him. If a player knowingly submits a scorecard that is invalid with a rules violation that the rules committee has already ruled on before he signs his scorecard, then that player is still going to get disqualified.

It looks bad because its Tiger, but that's how the rule seems to read.

But surely that would imply that because Tiger was ignorant of the rule, that absolves him from disqualification? What you're saying suggests it matters if you did it 'knowingly' or not - I always thought ignorance of the rules of the game was not a sufficient excuse? Im not an expert here, but that is just how I would read it.

MOtorboat
04-14-2013, 07:24 AM
But surely that would imply that because Tiger was ignorant of the rule, that absolves him from disqualification? What you're saying suggests it matters if you did it 'knowingly' or not - I always thought ignorance of the rules of the game was not a sufficient excuse? Im not an expert here, but that is just how I would read it.

Neither am I, but the rule seems to imply that this guards from a player thinking he's signed a scorecard correctly, only to show up the next day and have the rules committee say they reviewed something and there was a violation.

I don't know for sure, because it also reads very vague.

33-7. Disqualification Penalty; Committee Discretion
A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

Any penalty less than disqualification must not be waived or modified.

If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule.

A lot of subjectivity there...

Chef Zambini
04-14-2013, 10:14 AM
the rule is designed to keep a player from DQ because he signed his scorecard, unaware of a penalty, imposed aftr the fact.
such was the case with tiger.
he felt he made a proper drop.
after watching the video, so did the rules commitee.
then tiger indemnified himself with his comments, and the same commitee changed their minds and assesed the penalty, AFTER he signed the card.

aulaza
04-14-2013, 10:20 AM
OK thanks, I hadn't heard that explanation, makes more sense now.

By the way what does the early scoring look like today? If the greens are as firm as yesterday it will be brutal. I don't think they'll want it any tougher than yesterday, 4 was an absolute killer!! (amongst others)

The pins should be a little more accessible though. I don't think they'll let the greens firm up any more, otherwise they'll move backwards today.