PDA

View Full Version : I hadn't seen this:Sources: Shanahan tired of Marshall

broncobryce
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I heard someone mention it before but never knew where it came from. I know it's old news, but interesting nonetheless.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4469786
September 13, 2009, 8:36 PM ET
Brandon Marshall has had his troubles with new coach Josh McDaniels this year but he wouldn't even be a Denver Bronco if Mike Shanahan had still been around.

AFC West blog

Williamson ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Shanahan was planning to dump Marshall after the receiver played in his first Pro Bowl in February, according sources familiar with the former Broncos' coach post-season thoughts. The coach went so far to share his plans with quarterback Jay Cutler, a day before Shanahan himself was surprisingly fired. Cutler was later traded to the Bears by new coach Jo sh McDaniels.

Sources said Shanahan had grown weary with Marshall off the field and even felt he was unreliable on the field, despite leading all NFL receivers with 206 catches for 2,590 yards over the previous two seasons. Shanahan, a source said, felt Marshall had cost the Broncos more victories by his poor route running, dropped passes and his tepid run-blocking efforts. The coach also anticipated some contract problems, a source said.

Shanahan was reasonably certain Marshall would get him value on the trade market but if he had run into a dead end on a deal, sources said he would have considered cutting him outright, as was reported earlier on Sunday.

broncobryce
03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Crazy that he anticipated contract problems. Guess he saw it coming too.

T.K.O.
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
WOW..... i mean wow.
i had heard the rumblings and they have been dismissed as hearsay but it sounds like a legit story i wonder if cutler would have blown a gasket if shanny had stayed and canned bm?
i guess we will never know....think of the drama ,we could have had :laugh:
heck i could start a rumor that cutler went to bowlen,told him about shanny's evil plan and that's why shanny got fired !
only to have the whole thing blow up in cutlers face when mcD arrived.
muhwhaaaamuhwaahahaa(evil laugh)

Tned
03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Either that story, or a variety of it, was posted last year. I believe the thread title was something like, "Shanahan considered cutting Marshall."

Ravage!!!
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Sources say.. sources who?

This isn't news, guys. This was even brought up to Shanahan himself, and he denied this story.

Problem is, stories like this lack much umph because 'sources' are simply left to your imagination as to who the sources are. No one is listed.

That means, "I" could have been the source, and the writer purely has to say "sources say".... it completely takes away from the validity of anything said.

This has been talked about since September of '09

broncobryce
03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I had only heard people mention it, but I didn't know where it came from. But still, you really think shanahan would say "yeah, I was gonna trade the bum" ? This guy wouldn't say anything bad publicly about anyone except al davis.

topscribe
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Reasons not to believe the story:

* Unnamed sources
* Burger Bill

Reasons to believe the story:

* Brandon Marshall

-----

broncobryce
03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Burger Bill?:lol:

topscribe
03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Burger Bill?:lol:

A nickname he earned over on MHR. :D

-----

underrated29
03-30-2010, 08:34 PM
yup total crap. Shanny would never outright release him. If he can trade ashley lelie to the falcons for a 3rd pick...

Then he can trade brandon marshall!!!!!!!!!!!1

Davii
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't think Shanny would've outright released Brandon, but I certainly think he would've attempted to trade him.

Tned
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
For those that want to read some of the discussion from September:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57560&highlight=shanahan+marshall

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/13/mort-shanahan-planned-to-cut-brandon-marshall/

The change in coaches from Mike Shanahan to Josh McDaniels has been blamed for some of the problems that Brandon Marshall has had with the Broncos but, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN that's not the case.

Per Mortensen, moments ago on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown, Shanahan was planning to cut Marshall after the Pro Bowl in February. The former Broncos coach reportedly felt that Marshall cost the team more games than he helped him win. Per Mort, Shanahan shared those thoughts with Jay Cutler the day before he was fired.

So, strangely enough, despite being suspended and demoted to the scout team during the brief McDaniels era, Marshall may actually have seen his position with the Broncos improve as a result of Shanahan's departure.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13397543?source=rss

Welcome back, and keep the queries coming.

Today's comes from Rob Ridley in Grand Junction:

Q: Last week (a report) revealed that Mike Shanahan was going to cut Brandon Marshall, but I haven't really seen anything in The Post on it. What do you know about this, and has this maybe helped Marshall realize that he is not as great as he thinks he is and has some work to do? Is he still in Josh McDaniels' doghouse?

A: In this day and age of the Internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc., there are reports about a lot of things. And when it comes to the Broncos, Marshall's activities have led the way it seems.

Sometimes the reports are responsible, and sometimes they are not. Sometimes, especially at some of the larger operations, like ESPN for example, they have a pile of people covering the league who are almost competing with one another to be first. In my opinion, it has caused some folks — many of whom I've known for quite some time — to perhaps rush some things on air as they jockey for their own spots within the company.

Some may disagree with that, but it's just an observation.

There was indeed a report about Shanahan having a plan to cut Marshall after last season. All I can tell you is that Shanahan has told people I know very well the report was not true, that he had no intention of cutting Marshall.

And frankly, the logic isn't quite there in the original premise since Shanahan had often kept — and paid far more to — players like Travis Henry who had far deeper off-the-field troubles. Henry was eventually cut when the list of transgressions got too long, but that was long after he had already secured a huge signing bonus from the team.

That's not to say Shanahan would have signed Marshall to a new deal any more quickly than the team's current administration. The team had begun to limit his finances a little more late in his tenure, and they were less active in the free-agent market after spending mistakes like Simeon Rice cost the franchise some big money.

Shanahan would have likely made Marshall play out this season, or at least most of it, as well to see where his development was on and off the field before giving him a new deal.

As far as the doghouse, McDaniels is going to play Marshall, but McDaniels will also rotate, and Marshall's playing time won't increase until his routes are cleaner.

MasterShake
03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
WOW..... i mean wow.
i had heard the rumblings and they have been dismissed as hearsay but it sounds like a legit story i wonder if cutler would have blown a gasket if shanny had stayed and canned bm?
i guess we will never know....think of the drama ,we could have had :laugh:
heck i could start a rumor that cutler went to bowlen,told him about shanny's evil plan and that's why shanny got fired !
only to have the whole thing blow up in cutlers face when mcD arrived.
muhwhaaaamuhwaahahaa(evil laugh)

A little part of me wishes this part of your post happened, and all the drama last year was just an illusion. Then a big part of me kicks the little part of me in the groin and tells me to let it go and move on.

broncofaninfla
03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
This is old news that has already been denied by the Shanny camp.

CoachChaz
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Odds are slim that Shanny would admit to this anyway. All it would do is open up another can of worms and he has alot more to worry about than fielding questions about decisions he considered making when he was the coach in Denver. I'd deny it if I were him as well

Dreadnought
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Odds are slim that Shanny would admit to this anyway. All it would do is open up another can of worms and he has alot more to worry about than fielding questions about decisions he considered making when he was the coach in Denver. I'd deny it if I were him as well

Agreed - there is no percentage in him not denying it. In any event the whole thing isn't implausible. I could easily see getting good and tired of Brandon Marshall as a subordinate. Outright release wasn't going to happen, but it wouldn't have surprised me even a little to see Shanny ship BM out of town at a slight discount.

CoachChaz
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Agreed - there is no percentage in him not denying it. In any event the whole thing isn't implausible. I could easily see getting good and tired of Brandon Marshall as a subordinate. Outright release wasn't going to happen, but it wouldn't have surprised me even a little to see Shanny ship BM out of town at a slight discount.

Yeah, I think I'd have to send a package to a coach Kaczynski style is they just outright released him, but a trade makes sense considering the personality we're dealing with

LordTrychon
03-31-2010, 10:26 AM

Yeah, I would have believed it possible if it didn't say 'release'. However, it did. To me, that makes the whole thing seem more than a bit unlikely.

underrated29
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM

right, but arent the adds just as slim as shanny sharing this information with anyone. Let alone a player on the team, who also happens to be best buddies with the player he was going to release......

Shanny never let anyone in on his intentions. Even in the draft, so why would he tell a player, not even the broncos brass, that he is going to do it.

CoachChaz
03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
right, but arent the adds just as slim as shanny sharing this information with anyone. Let alone a player on the team, who also happens to be best buddies with the player he was going to release......

Shanny never let anyone in on his intentions. Even in the draft, so why would he tell a player, not even the broncos brass, that he is going to do it.

I have no idea what kind of relationship Shanny had with his players. I know he was very close with Elway and considering Cutler was "his guy", I guess I can see him having a relationship with Jay where he would make this comment. On one hand I can see where a coach would make his own decisions and on teh other, I can see where Shanny may have had a good relationship with his QB and wanted to discuss his plans for the future of the passing game.

It's all off-season specualtive banter anyway.

Lonestar
03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Knowing how it would affect jays numbers and that he would hav to find another target. Just perhaps he was feeling him out.

I also believe that mike shared a lot of his thoughts with those he felt h could trust. Just kept it from the media that was all.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel