PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant workout

Tebow4Ever
03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know if any of the broncos staff or front office attended Bryant's workout today?

dogfish
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
don't know-- but if they did, they got to see him show his ass. . . .

Dez Bryant forgot his cleats
Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2010 3:01 PM ET

As it turns out, Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant showed up on time for his Pro Day workout.

His cleats, however, didn't make the trip.

We're told that Bryant forgot to bring his cleats, and that as a result he had to wear a pair of brand-new shoes, which had not properly been broken in.

As a result, Bryant was slipping, as NFLN's Mike Mayock pointed out when discussing the workout on the air.

Per a league source, at least one team measured Bryant's times in the 40-yard dash at 4.57 and 4.62 seconds, within the 4.52 to 4.68 range reported by NFL.com. He presumably would have run faster, but for the slipping.

i don't know whether his supposed "character issues" are for real or not, but at the very least this kid sounds like kind of a dumbass. . . after getting suspended-- and with reports currently circulating that his stock is slipping due to concerns over his work ethic--you'd like to think he could take care of the little details like being ready for a workout. . . .

i know it's just one tiny incident, but it doesn't do anything to help refute rumors that he's lazy and doesn't project as a guy who'll display much professionalism. . . .

WARHORSE
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know if any of the broncos staff or front office attended Bryant's workout today?

No, but I heard he 'forgot' to bring his cleats and thats the reason he ran so slow..........

:tsk:

Not impressed.

As Mike Mayock said, he came away with more questions than answers.

He ran slow for a WR, but let me be the first to say game speed is what counts.

Running in shorts vs pads is a big difference.

Does anyone think Taylor Mays plays at 4.3 speed?

Not me.

But anyways, it is what it is, and Im sure that if the Broncos are smart, they had someone there to evaluate him.

Unless of course, they already have him crossed off their board due to character concerns............which I can totally see as having been done in the McD era.

:coffee:

Lancane
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Bryant is meeting and then having Dinner with Jerry Jones, personally I think he wants his draft stock to drop so Dallas is capable to draft him.

slim
03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
I hope this clown isn't even on our draft board.

CoachChaz
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Bryant is meeting and then having Dinner with Jerry Jones, personally I think he wants his draft stock to drop so Dallas is capable to draft him.

Wouldnt surprise me if Jones and Deion are hoping for that.

Million dollar talent...2 dollar head

nevcraw
03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
We don't want this kid slippping too far.. Ideally he would go agead of the 11th pick along with the slew of OT's that are not needed in Denver in hopes to give the the FO one of their top picks.

Northman
03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Defense, defense, defense.

LTC Pain
03-30-2010, 04:45 PM
NT, ILB and O-line center or tackle in that order. Bryant is a no-go.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

# Apparently Brandon Marshall isn't the only WR on the Seahawks radar. Seattle HC Pete Carroll spent Tuesday at Dez Bryant's Pro Day. about 5 hours ago via web

titan
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I'll be very surprised if the broncos draft bryant. McD wants "character" guys and there are too many red flags with Dez.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I'll be very surprised if the broncos draft bryant. McD wants "character" guys and there are too many red flags with Dez.

Bryant could be Seattle's 1st round pick

Buff
03-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant finally held his workout for NFL coaches and scouts Tuesday morning in Lufkin, Texas. Former Lufkin and Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeil also participated in the workout but Bryant was the star of the show that drew representatives from some 20 NFL teams including the Denver Broncos, the team many think Bryant will go to in the 2010 NFL Draft.

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/958313.html

Northman
03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
No bias there. lol

BigBroncLove
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that buff. I am assuming though that the Broncos did not send someone high up the totem pole to watch the workout. That doesn't mean they aren't interested but here is an excerpt of the notable individuals at his pro-day.

Among the NFL coaches and executives in attendance were Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary and director of player personnel Trent Baalke, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy and director of college scouting John Dorsey, Baltimore Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler, Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and Oakland Raiders scout Cliff Branch.

Bryant has been working out with Duke Rousse, a New Orleans trainer whose NFL clients include Adam "Pacman" Jones, Darren Sharper, LaRon Landry, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Antonio Cromartie.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8173b2fe&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lancane
03-30-2010, 05:22 PM
http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/958313.html

He was suppose to be the star, he ended up having a pretty sorry workout and left many questioning him more then they already were. I don't see Denver drafting him.

Buff
03-30-2010, 05:22 PM
No bias there. lol

Well I think he was more referring to the fact that everyone was there to see Bryant perform, not the other guy... Not so much referring to his performance itself. At least, that's how I read it.

Spiritguy
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Here is Mayocks thoughts on his performance.

LUFKIN, Texas — I think the NFL scouts and coaches in attendance at Dez Bryant’s private workout today — and there were a ton of them — left with more questions than answers.

I went into the workout with Bryant as my No. 3 best football player in the country — not the No. 3 best wide receiver, but the third-best football player in the draft. And here’s what I saw today. I saw a guy with a 38-inch vertical leap, I saw a guy broad jump 11-foot, 1-inches and I saw a guy run a 1.5-second flat 10 yards. When you add that all up, it should equate to a 4.4, 4.42 40.

But he ran a 4.55 as an average today. So I was disappointed with the 40. I’ve got to attach some significance to that, and that’s the difficulty all 32 teams are going to have.

He came in at 224 pounds. When he was playing his best football, he was in that 210, 212 range. But he’s cut up. It’s not like there’s a lot of body fat there.

The best part of the workout for me was that he got into the routes. He can pluck the football. Strong hands, big body, 224 pounds. I like the guy but I can’t put him in Larry Fitzgerald’s class. Larry came out at 223 pounds and ran a 4.52 40. Very similar numbers. But Larry was completely clean off the field. This kid didn’t finish the short shuttle today, didn’t finish the three-cone. There are some red flags there.

When you run 4.55 and you’re considered an elite receiver, and you’re not clean off the field — there were some issues today — I’m going to completely have to reevaluate where I have this guy going in the draft. I’m going to go back to tape and I’m going to have to talk to some people about him. I talked to enough guys around today, and everyone was thinking the same thing: ‘OK, if this guy starts to slide, are we going to take him at No. whatever.’ And a lot of people are going back to tape to do more homework on him.

His slide could be significant based on the comments I’ve heard.

Would it surprise me if he went around No. 10? No. Would it surprise me if he went, say, 25? Absolutely not. And he could fall anywhere in between.

link (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/30/bryants-workout-creates-more-questions/)

TXBRONC
03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I've had concern about him because of what I've seen from game footage that's been shown around here. This does nothing to alleviate my concerns.

Ziggy
03-30-2010, 11:05 PM
From Mayock:
I went into the workout with Bryant as my No. 3 best football player in the country — not the No. 3 best wide receiver, but the third-best football player in the draft.

When you run 4.55 and you’re considered an elite receiver, and you’re not clean off the field — there were some issues today — I’m going to completely have to reevaluate where I have this guy going in the draft. I’m going to go back to tape and I’m going to have to talk to some people about him.

Mayock is know as one of the best draft guru's in the business. I find it odd though that he has a player ranked #3 in the entire draft and 1 workout in shorts completely makes him doubt his own evaluation. Game film doesn't lie, or change. It makes me wonder just how much time Mayock had actually put into Dez in the first place.

dogfish
03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
From Mayock:
I went into the workout with Bryant as my No. 3 best football player in the country — not the No. 3 best wide receiver, but the third-best football player in the draft.

When you run 4.55 and you’re considered an elite receiver, and you’re not clean off the field — there were some issues today — I’m going to completely have to reevaluate where I have this guy going in the draft. I’m going to go back to tape and I’m going to have to talk to some people about him.

Mayock is know as one of the best draft guru's in the business. I find it odd though that he has a player ranked #3 in the entire draft and 1 workout in shorts completely makes him doubt his own evaluation. Game film doesn't lie, or change. It makes me wonder just how much time Mayock had actually put into Dez in the first place.

The best part of the workout for me was that he got into the routes. He can pluck the football. Strong hands, big body, 224 pounds. I like the guy but I can’t put him in Larry Fitzgerald’s class. Larry came out at 223 pounds and ran a 4.52 40. Very similar numbers. But Larry was completely clean off the field. This kid didn’t finish the short shuttle today, didn’t finish the three-cone. There are some red flags there.

from the underlined part, i would guess that what he's getting at is a belief that the concerns about bryant's work ethic are correct, and that perhaps his overall value needs to be re-evaluated in light of that. . . . maybe he's going back to the tape trying to convince himself that the talent is really enough to risk a pick that high, and he's suggesting that teams will be similarly asking themselves exactly where his value lies and how this effects it. . .

Ziggy
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
from the underlined part, i would guess that what he's getting at is a belief that the concerns about bryant's work ethic are correct, and that perhaps his overall value needs to be re-evaluated in light of that. . . . maybe he's going back to the tape trying to convince himself that the talent is really enough to risk a pick that high, and he's suggesting that teams will be similarly asking themselves exactly where his value lies and how this effects it. . .

I hope your right Dog. Either way, I don't see the Broncos taking this kid, He just desn't fit the though, smart, team player mentality that McD is looking for. I think it's time to take him off of the Broncos radar, if he's not already off.

dogfish
03-31-2010, 01:02 AM
I hope your right Dog. Either way, I don't see the Broncos taking this kid, He just desn't fit the though, smart, team player mentality that McD is looking for. I think it's time to take him off of the Broncos radar, if he's not already off.

i really don't think we'll take him either. . . too much drama recently-- mcD needs guys who'll shut up and do what they're supposed to, he's embattled as it is. . . .

Nomad
03-31-2010, 05:51 AM
I'm a big advocate to address the oline first but if someone could guarantee that Byrant is a Fitzgerald clone as in work ethic, talent and attitude, I would agree how could you pass on the guy! But looking at other primadonna WO, they hold out (Crabtree), cause disruption in the locker room (TO), expect more than what they are worth when they aren't, and is just a pain in the ass, no WO talent can overcome that bs!!

Dirk
03-31-2010, 07:04 AM
Too many questions for this cat.

I would give a 2nd rounder for him but not a first. Denver's first should go for OL talent IMO.

EMB6903
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Could care less about his 40 time or personal work outs. I seen this kid absolutely dominate the big 12 whether it was a WR or PR.

Forgetting his cleats during the biggest interview of his life though? How dumb can you be?

broncofaninfla
03-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Dez has the talent to be a stud in the NFL but seems like an utter dumb ass.

CoachChaz
03-31-2010, 08:42 AM
In all honesty...he can be as much of a dumbass as he wants to be. If he stays clean off the field (and I dont consider talking to former NFL players to be a travesty), and can perfoem like ha has in college...the kid is a bona fide stud. Someone is going to look past the immaturity and take a chance on the kid and look like geniuses in the not too distant future.

Traveler
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
I fully expect Bryant to be the "Brady Quinn" of this years draft. Too many red flags on this guy for someone to take a chance on him in the top 15 selections.

Frankly, I don't see in his films why scouts have him rated so high. Since I'm not paid to evaluate talent, I'll defer to their judgement.

CoachChaz
03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I fully expect Bryant to be the "Brady Quinn" of this years draft. Too many red flags on this guy for someone to take a chance on him in the top 15 selections.

Frankly, I don't see in his films why scouts have him rated so high. Since I'm not paid to evaluate talent, I'll defer to their judgement.

He's not going to be a burner in the NFL. He'll be a 90-100 reception possession receiver. The thing I like most about him is how physical he is. If a DB is going to press him all day...they better bring a lunch, because it's going to be a workout.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8173fe9c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Dez Bryant is fed up. Less than one month before the NFL Draft, the Oklahoma State wide receiver has faced a barrage of criticism from all angles.

The latest round came after his Tuesday workout for NFL scouts, his first chance to show whether he has stayed in shape after an NCAA suspension cut short his final college season.

Bryant already had endured questions about his integrity, stemming from the fact that he lied to an NCAA investigator about his interaction with NFL Network analyst and former cornerback Deion Sanders during the offseason between his sophomore and junior seasons. Bryant had dealt with questions about his background, being raised by a young mother in Texas. He had faced rumors that he skipped meetings, classes and was even late for games in college.

And then Bryant's pro day was spoiled by banter that he'd forgotten to bring the cleats he planned to wear for the workout.

"I'm not the type of person that will try to confront somebody, but now I feel like it's gone too far. It's gone too far," Bryant said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I ain't never got in trouble with nobody. I never said anything. I don't say anything wrong to nobody. I'm friendly. This here is too far.

"What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."

Bryant questions why he has faced such a flurry of rumors following his college career, which concluded just three games into his junior season. He had 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns and also returned two punts for scores in 2008.

Bryant was the only 2008 Biletnikoff Award finalist to return to school last season and entered the season as the top receiver in college. But most of the scrutiny that he has faced deals with everything but his playing ability.

"What is this? Y'all don't want me to go to the NFL or something?" Bryant said. "It's going to happen. It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game. I haven't did anything wrong to nobody."

Bryant said he believes he has received more criticism than even players who have had run-ins with the law.

"I don't look for trouble," Bryant said. "I don't find trouble or none of that stuff. I'm not a troublemaker. Just because I've experienced bad things, that don't make me no bad person. That don't make my mom a bad person. My mom overcame a lot of adversity just as well as I have.

"People change. I don't think people understand that. People change, and I thought my mama did that. And all this stuff that I've been reading, I just feel like it's foolish. It is foolish."

Bryant won't know for sure until the draft begins on April 22 whether NFL teams question his character or believe his side of the story.

"Any teams who don't draft me who think I have background problems or any of that, you're not going to draft me because of stuff that happened in my childhood?" Bryant said. "What about now? What's been going on with Dez now? Nothing bad's been going on with Dez. Nothing at all."

"Whoever passes up on me, it's over with. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did," Bryant added. "That man had issues, and teams were passing up on him, and when he got on that field, he killed them. He murdered them. Look at him today: One of the best players in the NFL."

But until he proves himself on the field, Bryant can only defend himself with his words.

Bryant said he brought six pairs of shoes to his pro day-style workout at his high school in Lufkin, Texas, and -- regardless of the hubbub around his missing cleats -- he was happy with his performance, although "in my mind I always feel like there's room to improve."

"You know how players have their particular cleats that they want, the ones they are comfortable in? I didn't have those," Bryant said. "I'm not saying it would have made any difference. But I'm saying I didn't have those."

Bryant also said it was "just not possible" for him to be late for a game while he was at Oklahoma State, and he takes issue with the suggestion that he's irresponsible.

"It ain't about my background," he said. "It's what I'm going to do for the team. It's what I'm going to bring to your team. That's what it's about."

Bryant even defends his decision to work out with free-agent cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, whom the NFL suspended for the entire 2007 season after a series of off-the-field incidents.

"Why down talk the man?" Bryant said. "The man did everything right. He's working out. He's doing good. What happened in the past was the past. That's just like anybody else. If they did something wrong, they would be looking for a second chance."

Bryant could use a second chance, too -- in the eyes of his critics.

"Whenever somebody gets the wrong impression about somebody -- not just me, about anybody -- I don't like that at all because I just feel like that's not right," Bryant said. "Especially whenever someone goes and gets some information about this person and then goes to that person, I just feel like that is not right because it's not right.

"I've never spoke my mind. I just sit back and listen. But now I just feel like it just went too far."

CoachChaz
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Obviously he wasnt an English or Public Speaking major at OSU

Lonestar
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
looks to me like another head case WR, let hope that Josh Etal do not get this future BM/TO in the draft unless they can get him in the 4th round. If they do they need to sign him to an incentive laden contract that clearly defines work ethic and locker room issues.

AND he is definitely not an english major.

In fact I have to wonder if he is smart enough to learn a play book.

GEM
03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
You all really think these guys learn in college? :confused: REALLY??

A lot of these kids are from really bad neighborhoods, they don't study in high school, they play ball. Then these scouts come knocking. These kids know they need to do college on their way to the NFL, it's just a stop on the way there. They are passed through grades they have no business passing, they aren't flunked when that is really what they need. For what...the ability on the field.

I don't know why people are so surprised when some NFL or NBA players talk and they really are not all that smart. Smarts don't pay the bills for these guys, playing ball does.

Nomad
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
You all really think these guys learn in college? :confused: REALLY??

A lot of these kids are from really bad neighborhoods, they don't study in high school, they play ball. Then these scouts come knocking. These kids know they need to do college on their way to the NFL, it's just a stop on the way there. They are passed through grades they have no business passing, they aren't flunked when that is really what they need. For what...the ability on the field.

I don't know why people are so surprised when some NFL or NBA players talk and they really are not all that smart. Smarts don't pay the bills for these guys, playing ball does.

Hey, I watched 'BoyZ In The Hood' the other night on BET!!:D

weazel
03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
I could pretty much guarantee Denver is not picking a WR with the first pick. There's much more pressing needs.

Lonestar
03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I could pretty much guarantee Denver is not picking a WR with the first pick. There's much more pressing needs.

TWO YEARS AGO I WOULD BE taking the bet. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

broncobryce
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't be THAT shocked. Who thought Denver would take Moreno last year? I sure as hell didn't. And with the free agents signed on the D-line...........

EMB6903
03-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Then you havent been watching Bryant play at Okie state.

You dont have to be a scout to see how dominant Bryant was in College. the kid was putting up video game like numbers.

Lancane
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Then you havent been watching Bryant play at Okie state.

You dont have to be a scout to see how dominant Bryant was in College. the kid was putting up video game like numbers.

So did Lelie, Nash, Edwards and a plethura of other receivers that could be called bonified busts. Look at Roy Williams, in fact the ratio of successful first round receivers is a staggering 20%, which means that 80% of those wideouts taken in the first round have not lived up to their potential or have been outright busts. For example let's look at the 2005 NFL Draft:

03. Braylon Edwards
07. Troy Williamson
10. Mike Williams
21. Matt Jones
22. Mark Clayton
27. Roddy White

Of those mentioned above, Edwards was considered the talent not to be passed at receiver and only one has truly had success and that would be Roddy White who was the 27th overall pick, officially all but two have been complete busts.

I don't buy for a minute that Bryant is a talent not to be missed...I would rather we drafted Gilyard or a number of other receivers.

honz
03-31-2010, 07:47 PM

I highly doubt he wants to lose out on millions of dollars...

EMB6903
03-31-2010, 08:35 PM
So did Lelie, Nash, Edwards and a plethura of other receivers that could be called bonified busts. Look at Roy Williams, in fact the ratio of successful first round receivers is a staggering 20%, which means that 80% of those wideouts taken in the first round have not lived up to their potential or have been outright busts. For example let's look at the 2005 NFL Draft:

03. Braylon Edwards
07. Troy Williamson
10. Mike Williams
21. Matt Jones
22. Mark Clayton
27. Roddy White

Of those mentioned above, Edwards was considered the talent not to be passed at receiver and only one has truly had success and that would be Roddy White who was the 27th overall pick, officially all but two have been complete busts.

I don't buy for a minute that Bryant is a talent not to be missed...I would rather we drafted Gilyard or a number of other receivers.

Im not going to discredit Bryant as a prospect because of what other WR's in the first round have/havent done, I think its extremely ignorant to look at draft history when judging a player. Kinda like people hating on Junior QB's last year.

Also... Lelie isnt half** the player as Dez Bryant is, the only reason Bryant isnt going in the top 6 is because he was suspended for having lunch with Deion Sanders.

dogfish
03-31-2010, 08:46 PM
I highly doubt he wants to lose out on millions of dollars...

for the chance to play on a good team instead of getting drafted by someone like oakland? not that he's fast enough for the cryptkeeper, but you know what i mean. . .

wouldn't be the worst career choice. . . dallas has an established offense, quarterback, and top receiver and TE to attract attention. . . jerry jones is very loyal to "his" guys, and he wasn't cheap with the contracts even when there was a salary cap. . .

wanting to go there would make sense, especially for a texas kid who's friends with deion sanders. . . he would lose some upfront money, true, but it could be more than balanced out later if he turns into the big star he thinks he is. . . first off, you have to produce to get that big contract, and it's a lot harder on a crap team-- especially when you depend entirely on somebody else to get you the ball. . . look how many top wideouts had their careers ruined in detroit before they hit on an unbustable prospect. . . bryant's chance of putting up big numbers is definitely higher in dallas than it would be with most if not all of the teams drafting in the top ten. . .

besides, look what jerruh is paying roy williams to produce basically nothing-- if the cap goes away for good, a player like dez stands to make FAR more than he ever could playing for a team like buffalo or jacksonville. . .

and he doesn't have to drop all the way to the cowboys' pick to end up there. . . they may well be interested in trading up for him if he falls within their reach. . . .

Lancane
03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Im not going to discredit Bryant as a prospect because of what other WR's in the first round have/havent done, I think its extremely ignorant to look at draft history when judging a player. Kinda like people hating on Junior QB's last year.

Also... Lelie isnt have the player as Dez Bryant is, the only reason Bryant isnt going in the top 6 is because he was suspended for having lunch with Deion Sanders.

I'm not discounting nor discrediting him as a talented prospect because of past drafts...I simply pointed out that he is not the only one to herald the statement that 'he was a talent not to be passed on'. When there is a large chance that it is otherwise. You never know, but there is more against him then meetings with Deion Sanders and the lunch or dinner in question. His stupid remarks to the media, slandering the NCAA, his going to watch Pacman Jones workout when he said he surrounds himself with good people, his questionable pro-day workout and more, it all counts against him...more with some then others. The reason I believe we pass on him is because for one I believe Dallas will trade up to nab him and also because the whole character issue for McDaniels would be questioned if he drafted him to replace another questionable receiver.

As to whether or not Bryant succeeds, only time will tell...

In regards to your ignorant Lelie comment, you do know unlike Bryant, Lelie in two seasons had more yards as well as a better YPC average, a better 40 time and more touchdowns. Lelie was a hot prospect, just as were the others taken in the first round, just like Roy Williams and Troy Williamson. It's how they are coached and transition to the pro level, there is no guarantee that Bryant will be the next Marshall or the next Williams.

EMB6903
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not discounting nor discrediting him as a talented prospect because of past drafts...I simply pointed out that he is not the only one to herald the statement that 'he was a talent not to be passed on'. When there is a large chance that it is otherwise. You never know, but there is more against him then meetings with Deion Sanders and the lunch or dinner in question. His stupid remarks to the media, slandering the NCAA, his going to watch Pacman Jones workout when he said he surrounds himself with good people, his questionable pro-day workout and more, it all counts against him...more with some then others. The reason I believe we pass on him is because for one I believe Dallas will trade up to nab him and also because the whole character issue for McDaniels would be questioned if he drafted him to replace another questionable receiver.

As to whether or not Bryant succeeds, only time will tell...

wait a minute....Has this kid ever been in trouble? I mean real trouble? not lying about having dinner with one of his childhood heroes?

there is a lot of hate on this board towards Dez Bryant for some reason. I guess its from how stupid Marshall has acted.

Lancane
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
wait a minute....Has this kid ever been in trouble? I mean real trouble? not lying about having dinner with one of his childhood heroes?

there is a lot of hate on this board towards Dez Bryant for some reason. I guess its from how stupid Marshall has acted.

I don't hate him EMB, I think he is a rather talented young man who does not have his head screwed on right. It's not legal trouble that is bothering people, it's his character. It's not like he is the next Pacman or Incognito, he does however have questions in regards to his character and his actions as of late leave people only asking more. There is no question that many view him as being talented, but when you add his character issues and the issues we have with Marshall who is both beloved and despised within the fandom, is ridding us of one for a possible nother really likely? I don't believe so.

Lonestar
03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
If I recall, Josh likes SMART, fast, versatile players. Not sure he meets any of those criteria..

Like Lancane said how can he replace a head case with a head case. other than the contract would be cheaper for the next 4 years.

I do not see him getting drafted by us. (that seems to be the kiss of death) said the same thing about Clady and cutler so he might be here after all.

BigBroncLove
03-31-2010, 10:00 PM
If I recall, Josh likes SMART, fast, versatile players. Not sure he meets any of those criteria..

Like Lancane said how can he replace a head case with a head case. other than the contract would be cheaper for the next 4 years.

I do not see him getting drafted by us. (that seems to be the kiss of death) said the same thing about Clady and cutler so he might be here after all.

Yeah, personally I don't think he'll be suiting up in orange and blue either. It's obvious from the way that the organization has been handled thus far with McDaniels that player character and intelligence plays a big part in the type of team he is trying to build. Both of those things work against Dez Bryant when hes added into the equation of that scheme in my opinion.

I do believe Bryant can be an excellent receiver in the league. Physically I think he has all the tangibles. It really would be a question of environment for him to excel, as well as lack of distractions. Currently the type of organization Denver has become simply won't cater to the environment I think someone like Bryant would need. Denver is transforming into an organization of selfless discipline. While none of us can directly vouch for or against Bryant's character, based on his well known childhood and recent comments these are things I think Bryant won't have from the get go.

He may well be able to develop that with guys who have had similar jaded pasts who have changed to avoid problems in the NFL, but I don't think McD wants to slowly mold someone with that many potential issues, proven or not. He seems to want guys who are at that point mentally now, or at least can shift to it quickly. It is very possible Bryant will never get in to any league problems due to arrest or trouble, but I do think he could very easily be a distracting prima donna. Someone McDaniels (or all the disciples of Belichick) has little patience for.

It's a shame because a receiver of his qualities, with the movement to physical big bodied WR's, he fits the perfect mold to become a force in this league. He's a great looking WR. Someone who very well will excel, but for the aforementioned reasons, I don't envision him landing in Denver. Obviously all of this is just a damn guessing game for us fans :).

On a side note, I'd love to see Arrelious Benn drop to our 2nd round draft spot, but I just don't think he will. He has all the same tangibles as Bryant (with bigger questions on his speed) but without a single hint of character issues. Alas... I doubt we land him unless we trade up in the 2nd or get a low 1st.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
I believe the interior should be addressed first and foremost, but I stand by my original comments on this dude. What has he done that is so wrong that warrants all the negativity? I get that folks who are sick of BM (like me) are leery of another WR who folks say is a diva, but it still hasn't gotten to that point yet. Could he be? sure. Is he a problem child right now? no. That's all the illiterate dude is saying. If ya want an olineman, great. I do too. But don't hate on him cuz ya don't like his personality.

Ziggy
04-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Bryant: Pre-draft criticism has `gone too far’
12 hours, 18 minutes ago

Buzz up! 117 PrintBy JEFF LATZKE

AP Sports Writer

EDITOR’S NOTE—This is the second installment of a periodic diary-style story from Dez Bryant that will move in the weeks leading up to the April 22 draft.

Dez Bryant is fed up. With less than a month to go before his football fate will be decided in the NFL draft, Bryant has faced a barrage of criticism from all angles.

The latest round came after his workout for NFL scouts Tuesday, his first chance to show whether he’s kept in shape after having his final college season cut short by an NCAA suspension.

Bryant had already endured questions about his integrity, stemming from the fact that he lied to an NCAA investigator about his interaction with former NFL player Deion Sanders in the offseason between his sophomore and junior seasons at Oklahoma State.

He had dealt with questions about his background, being raised by a young mother in Texas.

He had faced rumors that he skipped meetings, classes and was even late for games while at OSU.

And then, of all things, his pro day was spoiled by banter that he’d forgotten to bring the cleats he planned to wear for the workout.

“I’m not the type of person that will try to confront somebody but now I feel like it’s gone too far. It’s gone too far,” Bryant said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I ain’t never got in trouble with nobody. I never said anything. I don’t say anything wrong to nobody. I’m friendly. This here is too far.

“What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don’t think it has anything to do with me playing football.”

Bryant questions why he has faced such a flurry of rumors following his college career, which came to an early conclusion just three games into his junior season. He had 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns and also returned two punts for scores in 2008.

He was the only 2008 Biletnikoff Award finalist to return to school last season and entered the season as the top receiver in college.

But most of the scrutiny Bryant has been facing has dealt with everything but his playing ability.

“What is this? Y’all don’t want me to go to the NFL or something? It’s going to happen,” Bryant said. “It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game.

“I haven’t did anything wrong to nobody.”

Bryant said he believes he has received more criticism than even players who have had run-ins with the law.

“I don’t look for trouble. I don’t find trouble or none of that stuff. I’m not a troublemaker,” Bryant said. “Just because I’ve experienced bad things, that don’t make me no bad person. That don’t make my mom a bad person. My mom overcame a lot of adversity just as well as I have.

“People change. I don’t think people understand that. People change, and I thought my mama did that. And all this stuff that I’ve been reading, I just feel like it’s foolish. It is foolish.”

Bryant won’t know for sure until the draft begins on April 22 whether NFL teams are questioning his character or believe his side of the story.

“Any teams who don’t draft me who think I have background problems or any of that, you’re not going to draft me because of stuff that happened in my childhood? What about now? What’s been going on with Dez now? Nothing bad’s been going on with Dez. Nothing at all,” Bryant said.

“Whoever passes up on me, it’s over with. I feel like I’m going through the same situation Randy Moss(notes) did,” he added. “That man had issues and teams were passing up on him, and when he got on that field, he killed them. He murdered them. Look at him today: One of the best players in the NFL.”

Until he can prove himself on the field, Bryant can only defend himself with his words.

— He said he brought six pairs of shoes to his pro day-style workout at his high school in Lufkin, Texas, and—regardless of the hubbub around his missing cleats—he was happy with his performance although “in my mind I always feel like there’s room to improve.”

“You know how players have their particular cleats that they want, the ones they are comfortable in? I didn’t have those,” Bryant said. “I’m not saying it would have made any difference. But I’m saying I didn’t have those.”

— He said it was “just not possible” for him to be late for a game while he was at Oklahoma State and takes issue with the suggestion that he’s irresponsible.

“It ain’t about my background. It’s what I’m going to do for the team. It’s what I’m going to bring to your team,” he said. “That’s what it’s about.”

— He even defends his decision to work out with Adam “Pacman” Jones, who was suspended for the entire 2007 season after a series of off-the-field incidents.

“Why down talk the man? The man did everything right. He’s working out. He’s doing good. What happened in the past was the past. That’s just like anybody else. If they did something wrong, they would be looking for a second chance.”

Bryant could use a second chance, too—in the eyes of his critics.

“Whenever somebody gets the wrong impression about somebody—not just me, about anybody—I don’t like that at all because I just feel like that’s not right,” Bryant said. “Especially whenever someone goes and gets some information about this person and then goes to that person, I just feel like that is not right because it’s not right.

“I’ve never spoke my mind. I just sit back and listen. But now I just feel like it just went too far.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nomad
04-01-2010, 06:11 AM

The WO corps before Bryant caused this pre-judgement and it's too bad but he should be on the straight and narrow and show he wants to be a professional and be there for his team! I've never said he had off the field issues as far as the police blotter, but what Crabtree did last year drew the line for me with these unproven WOs coming out of college! Bryant may become the next Fitzgerald or he could become the next TO/Crabtree or a Marshall.

I believe oline is top priority (no matter what seem believe to be a reach (another NFL overused word)). I'd sign Bryant with clauses but no NFL player wants to hear this because they want to do as they please and act innocent when they do it. Bryant could have redeemed himself from the questions by being at the combine and participating in everything and PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Forgetting cleats in simple in some minds but that tells many he still has more proving to do as far as being reliable and disciplined and we all know he's going to want a big payday being hitting the field.....just too many ????!

He sounds like a Raider!!