PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #8 immaculate deflection

titan
03-29-2010, 05:36 PM
From my sports blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

Resuming my countdown of my all time greatest bronco plays:

Some of you may be thinking "Are we going to see any recent plays in the countdown?" Well here's a play from last season that will go down as one of the great Bronco finishes ever:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/stqFuKdOMJQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/stqFuKdOMJQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'll always remember this play in part because of the dramatic finish and in part because of the unusual circumstances in which I saw it. Here's my story:

Since 1968 I have probably missed watching a complete Bronco regular season game less than 10 times - this was one of them. I had an early morning flight to Las Vegas for a business conference that was going to start that Sunday afternoon. I did not want to miss Josh McDaniels first game as head coach. I knew it was going to be a key game, as
I wrote about in my blog the week (http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/2009/09/cincinnati-will-be-bellwether-game-for.html) before the game:

"If the Broncos beat the Bengals ...

It'll be a huge boost in the team's confidence. All the critics of the offseason changes and disappointing preseason will be quieted. If the Broncos can beat a good Bengals team on the road, I predict they start out 4-0. The schedule then gets much tougher, and they'll finish with an 8-8 record."

My flight was delayed and I finally got to my hotel towards the end of the third quarter. I had to find a sports book so I could at least watch the finish! I walked over to Caesar's Palace and the Broncos/Bengals game wasn't on any of their big screens. Finally I spotted in a small corner of the sports book a single tv showing the game. I stood with a crowd of about 15 broncos and bengals fans watching the last 6 minutes.

I arrived at the tv just in time to see the Bengals start their go ahead drive. When Cincinnati scored the go ahead td with 38 seconds left I didn't have much hope. I was already late to my business conference so I started walking out of the sports book. Just then Caesar's Palace switched the game to one of their "big screens". I stopped, turned around, and thought "I might as well watch the last couple of plays."

Then the miracle happened. This 53 year old Bronco fan was jumping up and down like a 12 year old as Stokley crossed the goal line! Bronco fans in the sports book were high fiving each other. A Bengals fan ripped up his wager ticket in disgust.

I said "forget the conference!" and stuck around the sports book to see the replay about 15 times.

Finally I did make it over to the conference and I was in meetings until late that night. I got back to my hotel after 10 pm and saw a guy with a Chicago Bears jersey in front of the elevator. "I'm from Denver, how did Cutler do tonight?" I asked (not knowing anything about the Packers/Bears Sunday night game)

The Bears fan glared at me and walked away without saying anything.

For one game at least, McDaniels was looking pretty good as the new Denver head coach, and Cutler's 4 interceptions gave Bears fans a glimpse of what was to come later in the 2010 season. It was a good day to be a Bronco fan!

Next on the countdown: Another big play by a current Bronco player

muse
03-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Heh, great stuff. I love this version too:

E09_jVpVitc

topscribe
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
That was an exciting moment for me, Titan, and I thank you for posting it.

It would be a far more pleasant memory, had it not been the first game of one
of the most painful seasons I ever spent with the Broncos. Oh yes, those teams
of the '60s were far worse, and so were those failures. But we had come to
expect them. This last season had my hopes built up, then along came the pin
of the second half of the season and coldly and cruelly popped my balloon. It
still hurts.

But the play itself is one to remember. If I can now just get a separation . . .

-----

broncophan
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
What an amazing finish!!!.......I was there......went with a friend of mine who is a bengals fan......he was not too happy....lol.....It was fun leaving the stadium and seeing the look of disappointment on all the faces of bengal fans.....and hi-fiveing some of the other bronco fans who were there......

Love to hear Gus Johnsons call of that play......could listen to it forever....

e-Lou-sive1
03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
This was a very exciting play and watching it I knew Orton was throwing up a prayer and to see the ball tipped up and Stokley in perfect position was incredible. I was at a sports bar and we were sitting around Bengal fans and they were not as shocked because they were used to Denver or somebody else coming up with one big play to beat them.

Brandon Marshall came up with the big play over the Dallas cornerback for a TD which was also pretty amazing. The thing in common is that they were under/over thrown passes where the receiver made the difference.

Denver has a history of miracle plays and just the other day on the NFL Network they were showing NFL stadiums that were intimidating to their opponents and Mile High Stadium was No.1.

claymore
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
That was an exciting moment for me, Titan, and I thank you for posting it.

It would be a far more pleasant memory, had it not been the first game of one
of the most painful seasons I ever spent with the Broncos. Oh yes, those teams
of the '60s were far worse, and so were those failures. But we had come to
expect them. This last season had my hopes built up, then along came the pin
of the second half of the season and coldly and cruelly popped my balloon. It
still hurts.

But the play itself is one to remember. If I can now just get a separation . . .

-----
Tickets were only a Nickel though! :D

Italianmobstr7
03-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I was watching with 2 friends at my house and when it happened i freaked out. As soon as stokely caughtnit I jumped up, yelled" Run Brandon run!!!" after he scored I ran towards my room, buy slipped and fell onto our walkway entrance and just laid there laughing as my roommates cracked up uncontrollably. One of the best/funniest moments I've had as a Broncos fan.

Northman
03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
What an amazing finish!!!.......I was there......went with a friend of mine who is a bengals fan......he was not too happy....lol.....It was fun leaving the stadium and seeing the look of disappointment on all the faces of bengal fans.....and hi-fiveing some of the other bronco fans who were there......

Love to hear Gus Johnsons call of that play......could listen to it forever....

Sure wish i could of have had that moment last year in Bmore. :tsk:

UnderArmour
03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Broncos+Gus Johnson+Week 1 game=Crazy finish.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x3v8IfY4ViA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x3v8IfY4ViA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>