PDA

View Full Version : Steve Wyche Actually Said This?

BigBroncLove
03-29-2010, 11:18 AM
So the title of the story published on NFL.com by Steve Wyche is No more rookie excuses: This group must produce results in 2010. This is his addition from the Broncos roster.

No more rookie excuses: This group must produce results in 2010

QB Tom Brandstater, Denver Broncos: This sixth-round pick was the Broncos' No. 3 quarterback last season, but at 6-5 and 223 pounds with a big arm, he has the skill set to develop into a good NFL player. If Broncos coach Josh McDaniels can work his magic, the Kyle Orton-Brady Quinn situation could become a lot more interesting because Brandstater might have more ability than either passer.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81731fa6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Yeah Wyche, that's the rookie that better step up in 2010 for the Broncos :clap:. In my opinion Ayers, Moreno, and Smith, yes. While I like what he has to say about Brandstater in that story, putting him in it is just stupid.

Ok, mid morning diversion done.

claymore
03-29-2010, 11:23 AM
So the title of the story published on NFL.com by Steve Wyche is No more rookie excuses: This group must produce results in 2010. This is his addition from the Broncos roster.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81731fa6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Yeah Wyche, that's the rookie that better step up in 2010 for the Broncos :clap:. In my opinion Ayers, Moreno, and Smith, yes. While I like what he has to say about Brandstater in that story, putting him in it is just stupid.

Ok, mid morning diversion done.

Wow. I cant believe he wrote that.

Dreadnought
03-29-2010, 12:25 PM
What a complete dunce. Good grief

claymore
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
In all reality Brandstaterstunson might not make the team this year.

WARHORSE
03-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Nothin to fire Orton about.

Or Quinn.

Not yet anyway.

broncobryce
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
"might have more ability than either passer." I like wyche, but if this was true why did quinn go round one and Brandstater go 6?

gobroncsnv
03-29-2010, 06:55 PM
"might have more ability than either passer." I like wyche, but if this was true why did quinn go round one and Brandstater go 6?

Probably the same reason Tom Brady went in round 6, TD went in round 6, and Kurt Warner went undrafted...

Not everybody who writes about the drafts, along with those who make the actual draft picks, are geniuses...

and I guess I should throw in one of my favorite NFL players, Rod Smith also... undrafted...

This might be construed by some to think I mean Brandstater is the next Mr All That... sorry, just read it for what it says. These experts miss on some... just the way it is.

EMB6903
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Ya dont know where he was going with that.

As for the 2009 class the player im most confident in is Ayers, the kids a monster. He is gonna have a huge year next year. Lets hope Knowshon, and Alphonso can do the same.

Lancane
03-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Brandstater is the smart choice, well to at least be objective to what is being seen. When you look at the fandom there are many who do not back nor want Orton as the quarterback. The last quarterback to have been so disliked in orange and blue would be Brian Griese, even Plummer did not have as many against him as Orton does. There are even those who support him that feel he is not the best option for Denver, now with the addition of Brady Quinn, McDaniels gave those who are not onboard with Orton a face to back...even if Orton does well, look for fans to be screaming for him to start.

My issue with it all is that if Brandstater is that talented and better suited to be the eventual starter, then the addition of Quinn was the worst possible move for McDaniels and company. Not only did he give a face to those against Orton, but it erased the hope of Brandstater eventually being the future of the team; if Brandstater was the future then he should have been more then ready to be the backup quarterback in his second season and all we needed was a third string quarterback in case both went down, and there would have been a plethura of them for much cheaper as far as picks go. Maybe McDaniels felt that it was fairly cheap for a career backup, but then he should have stated something more optimistic and promising about the whole thing.

It's pretty bad when the media feels the best quarterback on your roster is neither the starter or backup, but the favorite to be third on the depth chart.

BroncoWave
03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Brandstater is the smart choice, well to at least be objective to what is being seen. When you look at the fandom there are many who do not back nor want Orton as the quarterback. The last quarterback to have been so disliked in orange and blue would be Brian Griese, even Plummer did not have as many against him as Orton does. There are even those who support him that feel he is not the best option for Denver, now with the addition of Brady Quinn, McDaniels gave those who are not onboard with Orton a face to back...even if Orton does well, look for fans to be screaming for him to start.

My issue with it all is that if Brandstater is that talented and better suited to be the eventual starter, then the addition of Quinn was the worst possible move for McDaniels and company. Not only did he give a face to those against Orton, but it erased the hope of Brandstater eventually being the future of the team; if Brandstater was the future then he should have been more then ready to be the backup quarterback in his second season and all we needed was a third string quarterback in case both went down, and there would have been a plethura of them for much cheaper as far as picks go. Maybe McDaniels felt that it was fairly cheap for a career backup, but then he should have stated something more optimistic and promising about the whole thing.

It's pretty bad when the media feels the best quarterback on your roster is neither the starter or backup, but the favorite to be third on the depth chart.

And by "the media" you mean exactly one person?

broncobryce
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Probably the same reason Tom Brady went in round 6, TD went in round 6, and Kurt Warner went undrafted...

Not everybody who writes about the drafts, along with those who make the actual draft picks, are geniuses...

and I guess I should throw in one of my favorite NFL players, Rod Smith also... undrafted...

This might be construed by some to think I mean Brandstater is the next Mr All That... sorry, just read it for what it says. These experts miss on some... just the way it is.

Okay, but what exactly has Brandstater shown to state he 'might have more ability'?

BroncoWave
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Okay, but what exactly has Brandstater shown to state he 'might have more ability'?

He has a cannon arm! That's what's won Jay Cutler all those Super Bowls! Oh wait...

Lancane
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
And by "the media" you mean exactly one person?

Schefter said nearly the exact same thing there genius...lol. :coffee:

rcsodak
03-29-2010, 09:11 PM

link?

:D

The backup is ALWAYS the next great player....

...until they actually step onto the field and look even worse than the other guy.

BroncoWave
03-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Yes, your evidence that the media thinks that Brandstater is our best QB is just irrefutable! :lol:

Lancane
03-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, your evidence that the media thinks that Brandstater is our best QB is just irrefutable! :lol:

Funny how you one minute state unless Schefter says it then it is not to be listened to...then turn around and blast what he had personally said himself on ESPN. Well I guess your just a hypocritical by nature.

:coffee:

BroncoWave
03-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Funny how you one minute state unless Schefter says it then it is not to be listened to...then turn around and blast what he had personally said himself on ESPN. Well I guess your just a hypocritical by nature.

:coffee:

Funny that you have the reading comprehension skills to think that I was "blasting" Schefter. Unless you actually provide a link, I have no way of knowing if you are quoting him out of context or not. I kinda doubt that he said Brandstater is our best QB though.

BroncoBJ
03-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Schefter did infact say that Brandstater should be the starter. And he also went on to say that he will be the next Bronco QB to hold up the Lombardi. :salute:

Per his twitter.

DenBronx
03-30-2010, 12:37 AM
what...schefter stating that brandstater would win us a superbowl?

what's this world coming to?

Lancane
03-30-2010, 12:49 AM
what...schefter stating that brandstater would win us a superbowl?

what's this world coming to?

No Bronx, his exact words were "Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater."

He's not the only one to look down on are quarterback situation. One media source said quote unquote "Denver even with the addition of Brady Quinn is no better then San Francisco or Buffalo with their own quarterback situations. All three have serviceable starters and all three lack potential franchise talented options behind them."

BroncoWave
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
No Bronx, his exact words were "Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater."

He's not the only one to look down on are quarterback situation. One media source said quote unquote "Denver even with the addition of Brady Quinn is no better then San Francisco or Buffalo with their own quarterback situations. All three have serviceable starters and all three lack potential franchise talented options behind them."

Saying he has the most potential to be the long term answer is quite different than saying that he is the best QB on our roster. I figured you misquoted him.

And FWIW, I am also high on Brandstater and I hope he turns out to be great, I just don't see him passing Orton or Quinn anytime soon.

Lancane
03-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Saying he has the most potential to be the long term answer is quite different than saying that he is the best QB on our roster. I figured you misquoted him.

And FWIW, I am also high on Brandstater and I hope he turns out to be great, I just don't see him passing Orton or Quinn anytime soon.

The thing that tells me that Brandstater could be more is the fact that his entire collegiate career was plagued with different offensive coordinators, it's enough to F' up anyone's career.

Biggest issue is that Orton IMHO is nothing but serviceable and I wonder if Quinn is just as much the same. Maybe it's surprising to some, but a lot of the fandom do not support Kyle Orton, they want a franchise quarterback...no matter what McDaniels' ass wants. First questions at the end of the year presser was regarding getting a new quarterback, the press asked because the fans have been asking...even Bowlen said they would look to draft a quarterback and he would like to. McDaniels however went out and brought in Quinn, starting a contreversy with the fans themselves; why draft a quarterback if Brandstater is the future or for that matter why trade for one? Brandstater if capable should have been the backup quarterback for the season. The addition of Quinn though throws a face to who fans will scream for, those who do not back Orton or those who later feel Orton is not doing a good damn job. I'm not sure how loud we can be to voice our opinions, but I think he will be surprised.

roomemp
03-30-2010, 07:02 AM
The NFL Network is to sports as Fox News is to politics :coffee:

Kaylore
03-30-2010, 07:35 AM

Actually I think he'll be better than Quinn and have a longer career.

The NFL Network is to sports as Fox News is to politics :coffee:

I agree; They're both awesome.

CoachChaz
03-30-2010, 08:16 AM
The thing that tells me that Brandstater could be more is the fact that his entire collegiate career was plagued with different offensive coordinators, it's enough to F' up anyone's career.

Biggest issue is that Orton IMHO is nothing but serviceable and I wonder if Quinn is just as much the same. Maybe it's surprising to some, but a lot of the fandom do not support Kyle Orton, they want a franchise quarterback...no matter what McDaniels' ass wants. First questions at the end of the year presser was regarding getting a new quarterback, the press asked because the fans have been asking...even Bowlen said they would look to draft a quarterback and he would like to. McDaniels however went out and brought in Quinn, starting a contreversy with the fans themselves; why draft a quarterback if Brandstater is the future or for that matter why trade for one? Brandstater if capable should have been the backup quarterback for the season. The addition of Quinn though throws a face to who fans will scream for, those who do not back Orton or those who later feel Orton is not doing a good damn job. I'm not sure how loud we can be to voice our opinions, but I think he will be surprised.

Along with about 20 other NFL teams

Nomad
03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Along with about 20 other NFL teams

Does anyone really know how to evaluate a 'franchise' QB (one of the most overused cliches I hear)? Why do certain QBs get the leeway and excuses but others don't and they've been in about the same amount of years! Sure 90% of QBs in this league could look all-pro if they had 'all the right pieces'. I say give these fellas a chance and may the best QB win, but like we've been saying if the oline sucks like last year, it wouldn't matter whose behind center, he's going to have a hard time!!

CoachChaz
03-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Does anyone really know how to evaluate a 'franchise' QB (one of the most overused cliches I hear)? Why do certain QBs get the leeway and excuses but others don't and they've been in about the same amount of years! Sure 90% of QBs in this league could look all-pro if they had 'all the right pieces'. I say give these fellas a chance and may the best QB win, but like we've been saying if the oline sucks like last year, it wouldn't matter whose behind center, he's going to have a hard time!!

Which is why it's easy to sit back and say that Brady, Manning, Brees, etc are "franchise QB's". because we've seen them perform at a franchise level. No one can say definitively that a QB will be a franchise guy upon first entering the NFL and so we're all geniuses after the fact.

What I'd be interested to see is Orton being top 5 in yards, TD's and rating over the next 2 seasons and then listen to people say he still isnt a franchise QB and just a beneficiary of the system. Unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see all the sphincter's pucker if it did.

claymore
03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Actually I think he'll be better than Quinn and have a longer career.

I agree; They're both awesome.

Thats not sayin much though!

BigBroncLove
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM

By this do you mean he'll be released or on the practice squad? Quite honestly I could see Brandstater being on the practice squad. At this point there is no reason to rush his development and he came out of a very basic system at Fresno State so we all know he will require it. While few of us have doubts about his overall potential, he'll need more than one season to find it in my opinion. At the very best at this point, he could be on the official roster but won't be activated for one game unless injuries turn it into a requirement. If you meant he'll be released, I personally doubt it. McDaniels doesn't seem to have the same aversion to keeping three QB's on his combined roster (i.e. roster and practice squad) that Shannahan did.

TXBRONC
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
By this do you mean he'll be released or on the practice squad? Quite honestly I could see Brandstater being on the practice squad. At this point there is no reason to rush his development and he came out of a very basic system at Fresno State so we all know he will require it. While few of us have doubts about his overall potential, he'll need more than one season to find it in my opinion. At the very best at this point, he could be on the official roster but won't be activated for one game unless injuries turn it into a requirement. If you meant he'll be released, I personally doubt it. McDaniels doesn't seem to have the same aversion to keeping three QB's on his combined roster (i.e. roster and practice squad) that Shannahan did.

No, Shanahan usuallly kept a quarterback on his practice squad.

BigBroncLove
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
No, Shanahan usuallly kept a quarterback on his practice squad.

You're right. I was thinking of his aversion to keeping anything more than two QB's activated at one time.