PDA

View Full Version : Crennel: We're not good enough to overcome a hole as deep as we dug.

omac
09-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Yeah, that quote from your coach is just what your players need to hear; Marty, you're needed at Cleveland. :welcome:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20070909005&prov=ap

Pittsburgh 34, Cleveland 7

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
September 9, 2007

CLEVELAND (AP) -- As the Steelers huddled around him, Mike Tomlin was presented with a game ball following his first game as Pittsburgh's coach.

The Cleveland Browns handed him win No. 1 much earlier.

In their first game in 15 years without iconic coach Bill Cowher stalking the sideline, the Steelers blitzed, battered and bullied their way to a 34-7 win over the hapless Browns, whose season opener couldn't have gone much worse.

Ben Roethlisberger threw a career-high four touchdown passes as Pittsburgh built an early 17-0 lead and rolled for Tomlin, the easy-going 35-year-old former defensive coordinator who shares Cowher's passion -- not his volcanic personality.

"This win is not about me," Tomlin said. "This is the story of the 2007 Steelers."

And it began the way other seasons have, with a romp over the Browns, whose complete breakdown on an early punt set the tone for another embarrassing day of turnovers, sacks and ineptitude.

Tomlin did his best to hide his emotions, but he was clearly moved by the Steelers' outpouring of respect following the game.

"You can see the excitement in his eyes," Roethlisberger said. "He really doesn't get rah-rah. As a player you like that. He's calm. You don't have to worry about getting yelled at or spit on or getting stuff thrown at you."

Willie Parker rushed for 109 yards as Pittsburgh started the Tomlin Era with the kind of bruising victory that typified Cowher's tenure in the Steel City. Cowher went 21-5 against the Browns, but Tomlin did something even his iron-jawed predecessor couldn't: beat Cleveland in his first meeting.

Cowher, who left the Steelers in January to become a TV analyst, lost his first game against the Browns after replacing Hall of Famer Chuck Noll in 1992.

Pittsburgh dominated in all phases, forcing five turnovers and recording six sacks.

"We were expecting a lot more," said Browns coach Romeo Crennel, who dropped to 1-12 against AFC North teams and is winless in five cracks at the Steelers. "We dug ourselves a tremendous hole, and in the NFL, when you dig yourself a hole, it's hard to get out. We're not good enough to overcome a hole as deep as we dug."

Crennel recently received an unsolicited vote of confidence from general manager Phil Savage. But all the back slaps in the world won't help the third-year coach unless he wins.

By the end of the third, the Steelers led 31-7 and disgusted Browns fans fled as a steady rain further dampened what they had hoped would be a better beginning for a team that has had just one winning season since 1999.

That year, the Steelers stomped the Browns 43-0 in Cleveland's expansion return, a thumping that led to rookie quarterback Tim Couch being handed the starter's job before he or the team was ready.

The Browns, who have lost eight in a row and 14 of 15 to Pittsburgh, could be faced with a similar decision.

Crennel benched starting quarterback Charlie Frye in the first half. Frye went 4-for-10 for 34 yards, threw an interception and held the ball way too long while being flushed from the pocket.

Derek Anderson came in and didn't do much better, but he did throw a 1-yard TD pass to Lawrence Vickers to avoid a shutout.

And while their team was being dismantled, Browns fans periodically broke into chants for rookie Brady Quinn, who was designated the team's No. 3 quarterback but could soon be elevated to No. 1.

Crennel said he would have to watch game film before deciding on his starter for next week against Cincinnati.

The Steelers have no such worries. Roethlisberger, determined to put a sub-par 2006 behind him, went 12-of-23 for 161 yards. He threw two TD passes in the first quarter and two more in the third for the Steelers, who started last season 2-6 and missed the playoffs one year after winning the Super Bowl.

"There wasn't much I didn't like," Tomlin said. "I guess a few penalties. We could have played the game a little cleaner."

The Browns imploded shortly after kickoff.

On their first fourth down, newly signed Cleveland punter Paul Ernster let the snap slip through his hands before scrambling to get off a 15-yarder.

Cleveland was whistled for four infractions -- two holds, an illegal formation and having a man downfield -- on the play and the Steelers scored moments later when Roethlisberger hit Hines Ward on a 5-yarder.

The romp was on.

"I'd like to think we got the bad one out of our system," Browns wide receiver Joe Jurevicius.

Notes

Quinn was designated as Cleveland's third quarterback. Crennel said he never considered bringing in the first-round pick. "What was I going to do, put him in there and throw him to the dogs?" ... Jeff Reed kicked two field goals for Pittsburgh. ... Browns Hall of Fame guard Gene Hickerson, enshrined last month, served as an honorary captain. At halftime, Hickerson, whose health has been declining in recent years, was presented with his Hall of Fame ring.

In all fairness, Pittsburgh looks to be a powerhouse this year, so the Browns may have faced one of the better, severely underated teams in the league. But come on, Frye and Anderson are giving them no choice but to speed up Quinn's emergence in the starting lineup. He should at worst be elevated to #2, but he should already be practicing with the first team. Poise is something both Frye and Anderson seem to be lacking in, and Quinn seems to have (an over-)abundance of. :cool:

Cleveland Rocks
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, that quote from your coach is just what your players need to hear; Marty, you're needed at Cleveland. :welcome:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20070909005&prov=ap

In all fairness, Pittsburgh looks to be a powerhouse this year, so the Browns may have faced one of the better, severely underated teams in the league. But come on, Frye and Anderson are giving them no choice but to speed up Quinn's emergence in the starting lineup. He should at worst be elevated to #2, but he should already be practicing with the first team. Poise is something both Frye and Anderson seem to be lacking in, and Quinn seems to have (an over-)abundance of. :cool:

He meant that in the sense that with the poor play from the get-go (Ernster's pooched punt) and then that followed with Frye's poorly timed interception dug the team into a hole. Because of that 10-0 start the team had no choice but to abandon the ground game and play from behind. Anderson is not speeding up Quinn's emergence into the starting lineup and played decent given the circumstance. Frye though, his confidence obviously has been tarnished and he now has what former coach Davis called "happy feet". Under no circumstance should Quinn play. He is not ready and it is far safer and better to have him sit on the bench for a majority of the season - no matter the QB play. Throwing Quinn out against the tough Defenses the Browns play the first half of the season is career suicide for both Crennel and Quinn.

Also, Crennel should not be fired. If the management continues to fire coaches and give them only 2-3 year tenure the team will never gel and will be in a constant state of flux. That there leads to failure as well as the continued lack of a consistant QB.

topscribe
09-10-2007, 01:30 PM
First, Quinn showed flashes in preseason of being a phenom. I really believe he
is heads and shoulders above your other QBs. I'm not sure Crennel isn't making
a mistake by not playing him. We saw yesterday what that did for Cutler.

Second, in the unlikely event that Marty ever went back to Cleveland, that
would be the Browns' assurance they would again become a power in the NFL.
You're right about a revolving door for coaches. So get Marty and keep him:
That would be the first thing I would say to Jim Brown.

-----

omac
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I understand what you're saying Charlie, I just don't think it sounded right coming from the head coach. It sounded like he didn't have confidence in his team. On your point on the 10-0 start, if he had confidence on his offense and his defense, then he'd know he'd still have a lot of time, and he'd try to communicate that patience with the team. There was really no need to abandon the ground game just yet. If the preseason was any indicator, the Browns offense and defense have improved ... just execute with confidence and take your lumps.

Also, I don't like how he's been handling his QB's. He seems indecisive, except on the stance of of NOT playing Quinn. If that's the case, I think it would've been better for Frye's psyche and confidence if Crennel just let him take his licks and go down fighting the whole game. He picked Frye to be his #1, he should allow him to try and redeem himself.

Also, I agree with topscribe. Quinn as a rookie looks much more polished and poised than either veteran QB on the team. And though I agree that changing coaches often is a huge mistake, I think with a team like the Browns, why not chose an alread proven coach, then stick with him. Marty would be perfect. Crennel could be a coordinator, and that's probably his strength anyway.

Cleveland Rocks
09-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I understand what you're saying Charlie, I just don't think it sounded right coming from the head coach. It sounded like he didn't have confidence in his team. On your point on the 10-0 start, if he had confidence on his offense and his defense, then he'd know he'd still have a lot of time, and he'd try to communicate that patience with the team. There was really no need to abandon the ground game just yet.

I was mistaken, I forgot about Jamal Lewis' fumble. 17-0

First, Quinn showed flashes in preseason of being a phenom. I really believe he
is heads and shoulders above your other QBs. I'm not sure Crennel isn't making
a mistake by not playing him. We saw yesterday what that did for Cutler.

Second, in the unlikely event that Marty ever went back to Cleveland, that
would be the Browns' assurance they would again become a power in the NFL.
You're right about a revolving door for coaches. So get Marty and keep him:

But still, that is preseason. Who in their right mind would have Quinn play now? That was against Pittsburgh and everyone knows about their defense. Coming up soon is the Patriots. Would you really want Quinn out there against the Patriots? I sure wouldn't. Quinn would be far more of a liability in those games than the other QB's. Frye I would like to be given one more chance against Cinci and then if things don't work out again, Anderson should play. Crennel is the coach and right now all I want is Crennel. Also, your precious Cutler inherited a team that played in the AFC Championship game the season before he was drafted. Quinn, the last time the Browns played in an AFC Title Game was 1989.

omac
09-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I was mistaken, I forgot about Jamal Lewis' fumble. 17-0

It's still only 2 TDs and a field goal. 3 more quarters to make up for it. They could've used some patience, I think, unless they aren't too confident in their offense.

But still, that is preseason. Who in their right mind would have Quinn play now? That was against Pittsburgh and everyone knows about their defense. Coming up soon is the Patriots. Would you really want Quinn out there against the Patriots? I sure wouldn't. Quinn would be far more of a liability in those games than the other QB's. Frye I would like to be given one more chance against Cinci and then if things don't work out again, Anderson should play. Crennel is the coach and right now all I want is Crennel. Also, your precious Cutler inherited a team that played in the AFC Championship game the season before he was drafted. Quinn, the last time the Browns played in an AFC Title Game was 1989.

Very true, preseason is a different thing. It does, however, look like the Browns have decided that Quinn is the direction they'll take, so should start tailoring the offense and the season to him. What Walsh did with Montana was that he'd insert him in certain game situations that he knew he could handle, to give him both experience and confidence, and that worked out great.

For Quinn to ride the bench while learning, the Browns would be better suited to have a more experienced veteran QB starting who won't get flustered as much; someone who Brady can learn from, and who can keep the team competitive, similar to what Palmer, Schaub, Leinart, and Cutler had, and Beck, Kolb, and JaMarcus can now learn from. What they've had instead is a QB carousell with young QBs, all expecting to be the future of the team. I don't think that's good.

On starting a young QB too soon ..... most aren't ready for it, and it could destroy their psyche. Some are, like Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler ... I think Quinn is too. He seems to have that same arrogant confidence that will allow him to take his licks and still believe in his abilities.

BroncoBJ
09-11-2007, 03:35 AM
lol Browns. I didnt watch the game but Damn they are horrible. I'm predicting a 2-14 record for them this year. If Quinn Plays soon I'll say they end up 4-12 at best. And this was the year that the Browns would be good. New Olinemen, New RB, New QB, new personal and they suck.

The Dallas Cowboys are officially on the clock.

Why Couldnt we have traded the Browns are 21st pick so we could get the 1st overall pick in next years draft.

Them Tricky Cowboys.

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 08:55 AM
lol

In case you were unaware, there is a smack forum here. Why don't you take your business there. There is a place for your filth and it sure isn't this forum.

Also, in case you were unaware (and I'm sure you are) this was Week 1 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. A team that went to the SuperBowl a few short years ago. There are still 15 games that the Browns play this year. I did not join this board to hear your drivel.

BroncoBJ
09-11-2007, 11:49 PM
In case you were unaware, there is a smack forum here. Why don't you take your business there. There is a place for your filth and it sure isn't this forum.

Also, in case you were unaware (and I'm sure you are) this was Week 1 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. A team that went to the SuperBowl a few short years ago. There are still 15 games that the Browns play this year. I did not join this board to hear your drivel.

In case you didnt hear your 3 Qbs on your roster have a combined 2 wins.
LOL @ getting rid of Frye.
He did suck though. So props on getting rid of him.
I dont know why Seattle needs him though.

talk to me when the Browns win a game.