PDA

View Full Version : Elway out of line?

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I realize that as Broncos fans we all respect and revere John Elway. For this very reason, his recent comments regarding Jay Cutler's leadership have some pretty big reverberations in the Broncos community. I, for one, am sick of all the media melodrama regarding the Cutler-Marshall fiasco and am disappointed in Elway for making some pretty irresponsible comments.

Here's some more detailed commentary on my feelings about this issue:

Elway's Distracting Comments Out of Line (http://www.rockymountainfever.net/2008/04/elways-distracting-comments-out-of-line.html)

I'd love to hear what you all think. Is Elway being irresponsible here? Do his comments make it harder for Cutler to emerge from Elway's shadow?

shank
04-10-2008, 01:02 PM
they asked, he answered.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
It's better than what John does at restaurants in his free time.

NightTrainLayne
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
It does seem odd to criticize someone for being critical in the media. . .through the media.

Kinda contradictory.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I didn't think they were irresponsible at all. Elway speaks his mind, just as his
young successor Cutler does. That makes them the same kind of leader, as I
infer it, and that excites the hell out of me for Cutler.

Actually, if you listen carefully, Elway gives both sides of it. While he said he
was "surprised" at Cutler's remarks and said he wouldn't personally do that, he
indicated his support of Cutler and said, in essence, that it is a sign of
leadership. I thought, in the end, it was generally supportive of Cutler.

It would be best to hear the live interview, which you can do here (http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/elway.cutler.marshall.2.696222.html).

-----

NightTrainLayne
04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I didn't think they were irresponsible at all. Elway speaks his mind, just as his
young successor Cutler does. That makes them the same kind of leader, as I
infer it, and that excites the hell out of me for Cutler.

Actually, if you listen carefully, Elway gives both sides of it. While he said he
was "surprised" at Cutler's remarks and said he wouldn't personally do that, he
indicated his support of Cutler and said, in essence, that it is a sign of
leadership. I thought, in the end, it was generally supportive of Cutler.

-----

I agree. Many times being a good leader means doing or saying things that they people you are leading don't like.

Do we want Cutler to be the most-liked QB, or the most-respected QB?

I'll vote for option #2.

DenBronx
04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
nah, i dont think it was out of line. the media likes to help twist everything into a story. in some ways i agree with him. cutler shouldnt have spoken so outwardly about marshall through the media...maybe he could have addressed him one on one as a friend and team mate. you never get results when you embarrass someone like that in the open. cutler showed his youth and needs to have some tact. saying all of that, marshall's still a big galute for slipping on a mcdonalds bag. :laugh:

topscribe
04-10-2008, 01:21 PM
nah, i dont think it was out of line. the media likes to help twist everything into a story. in some ways i agree with him. cutler shouldnt have spoken so outwardly about marshall through the media...maybe he could have addressed him one on one as a friend and team mate. you never get results when you embarrass someone like that in the open. cutler showed his youth and needs to have some tact. saying all of that, marshall's still a big galute for slipping on a mcdonalds bag. :laugh:

Well, the problem is, Cutler said he has already talked to Marshall "many times."
As Champ said, you can do only so much talking, then it's like just hearing
yourself speak, over and over. I don't believe Cutler just popped off to the
media. He saw what he viewed as a serious situation, so he resorted to a
serious measure. And Cutler said he stands by what he said.

I really like the leader in him. :nod:

------

nevcraw
04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Slow News period.. Cutler did the right thing and Elway is intitled to his opinion.

DenBronx
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, the problem is, Cutler said he has already talked to Marshall "many times."
As Champ said, you can do only so much talking, then it's like just hearing
yourself speak, over and over. I don't believe Cutler just popped off to the
media. He saw what he viewed as a serious situation, so he resorted to a
serious measure. And Cutler said he stands by what he said.

I really like the leader in him. :nod:

------

where are the closed door team meetings? cutler can handle issues without getting the media involved....at least i hope so.

shank
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
where are the closed door team meetings? cutler can handle issues without getting the media involved....at least i hope so.

they spent most of the offseason together and are close. they most definitely had the discussion, as cutler said they did...

the media asked jay about brandon and he answered honestly. nothing he said was wrong or out of line, so i don't see how brandon could even be upset about it. hopefully he just listens to the words of his friend and leader and shapes up.

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 01:40 PM

Well, the media is unquestionably going to ask and ask and ask. So, maybe Jay needs a better strategy for handling things. But it's a Catch-22: if he says nothing, he's soft; if he criticizes, he's too outspoken. What the hell is he supposed to say about a guy who just walked out of a DUI hearing in a cast.

Denver probably should have done a better job of protecting Cutler. This to me is a PR issues. Elway is fully aware of these things. I think he also dropped the ball and should have supported Cutler publicly and criticized him behind closed doors.

Lonestar
04-10-2008, 01:40 PM

I agree here even if he has talked with him privately airing dirty clothes in public RARELY accomplishes anything..

All it does is cause an already immature kid to question himself, even more than he is already..

Best analogy I have here is how many of our members wish to be verbally reprimanded on this forum in front of your peers.. This is why we as moderators send Private Messages asking you to stop the horseplay..

Better yet how many would like to see their name on TV and as headlines in the new papers being horse whipped by your peer.

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm betting that Cutler could give less than a damn about what John thinks. This is his team now.

LRtagger
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Ack I am so tired of hearing about this. The media is trying to create drama since they cant rely on TO and Moss anymore. They think BMarsh will be their next outlet for the TO type drama.

And now it's "Elway is cutting down Cutler". This is simply not the case. It's a stupid situation.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM

He said in his interview that he has had many closed door meetings with
Marshall. If that is what Cutler felt he had to do, and he still stands by it,
then I support him in that it is what he needed to do. I really am not
distressed that poor widdle BMarsh was embarrassed a little bit. This is a
crossroads for BMarsh, as I see it. He can become a Moss/T.O. type or a
Rice/Rod Smith type. I think Cutler . . . and the rest of us . . . would like to
see the latter.

-----

Lonestar
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, the media is unquestionably going to ask and ask and ask. So, maybe Jay needs a better strategy for handling things. But it's a Catch-22: if he says nothing, he's soft; if he criticizes, he's too outspoken. What the hell is he supposed to say about a guy who just walked out of a DUI hearing in a cast.

Denver probably should have done a better job of protecting Cutler. This to me is a PR issues. Elway is fully aware of these things. I think he also dropped the ball and should have supported Cutler publicly and criticized him behind closed doors.

Quite simple he says that is and internal matter we are talking about.. psych 101

Mike
04-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Elway: Private criticism better
Cutler comments surprise ex-QB
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 04/10/2008 01:15:08 AM MDT

John Elway says he had no problem with Jay Cutler calling out a teammate last week. But it's not how the Broncos' legendary quarterback would have done it. He would have kept his conversation with Brandon Marshall behind closed doors.

"I was surprised to hear it, actually," Elway said Wednesday during his Colorado Crush Arena Football League news conference. "If that's what Jay feels like he needs to comment on, then he needs to do that. I mean, personally, I would have done it to (Marshall). To me, as teammates — even though I've tried to settle things in the press, looking back over the years, it's not been the right way to do it."

Upon being told what Elway said, Cutler said he was surprised his comments last week about Marshall had gotten so much attention.
"If I would have known it was going to be such a big story and get picked up by the national media like it did, I probably would have chosen my words a little more carefully," Cutler said.

"I think it's going to be a good thing for me and I think it's going to be a good thing for Brandon. I wouldn't have said what I did if I didn't care about him. I want to see him succeed. I think he's one of the most talented players in the league, and I'd hate to see him throw that all away."

Marshall is Cutler's favorite receiver, as evidenced by his team-high 102 catches last season.

Marshall and Cutler also have become friends off the field. In February, Cutler, Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler worked out together with renowned trainer Chip Smith in Atlanta.

But on March 22, Marshall engaged in horseplay with his brother at their vacation home in Orlando, Fla. A wrestling match ended with Marshall slipping and putting his right arm into an entertainment center. He suffered multiple lacerations to his muscles, tendons, a nerve, vein and artery and underwent emergency surgery.

"People have to understand about Brandon Marshall and I. We go out to dinner together, we went to Atlanta together," Cutler said. "I've talked to Brandon about this many times. It's not like this is the first time he heard this from me. Everything I said in that press conference I've said to Brandon before. I don't think he was shocked to hear what I said. Maybe he was a little embarrassed, but hopefully it will help him."

Marshall has been involved in other off-field incidents, including a disturbance outside a downtown Denver nightclub the night teammate Darrent Williams was killed, a domestic violence charge that was later dropped and a DUI charge that is pending.

Cutler seemed at wit's end last week when he spoke about Marshall's latest incident.

"He's not my favorite person right now," Cutler said. "I support him, but it's always

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler (John Leyba, The Denver Post)something with him right now and you can't have that. It's disappointing."

Elway was asked if Cutler's public remarks about Marshall were a sign Cutler is ready to become the team's primary leader.

"We'll see. There's talk and there's do," Elway said. "The bottom line is there's talk and there's wins. And there's one thing that talks and that's wins, so we'll see."

Cutler's record with the Broncos is 9-12 since he took over as starter 11 games into the 2006 season.

"John can say what he wants," Cutler said. "I'm not about to disagree with John Elway, but I've said from Day One, we're not the same quarterback on or off the field."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8866753

topscribe
04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm betting that Cutler could give less than a damn about what John thinks. This is his team now.

Well, I would think Cutler admires Elway and cares a great deal about what he
thinks. But you're right in that it is Cutler's team now, and Elway said much
the same thing. And that is what Cutler is doing: taking over the team.

-----

Mike
04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
It does seem odd to criticize someone for being critical in the media. . .through the media.

Kinda contradictory.

Glad I am not the only one who had this thought. :salute:

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Quite simple he says that is and internal matter we are talking about.. psych 101

As an amateur writer I've really struggled with this one. I mean, every time I see a barrage of tabloid journalism I want to just ignore it, but its become such a ubiquitous story, how can I?

The fact is everyone is talking about it. Its disappointing to see, as a fan. I feel like Elway had an opportunity to be a leader and shunned it. He's so influential, I find his comments frustrating.

At least by expressing a different opinion, I can try and reshape the discussion a little bit.

honz
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
People are still talking about this story?:coffee:

Ziggy
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM

From what Cutler said, there have been more than a few closed door meetings between him and Marshall. After a certain point, it's time to take it to another level. That's what Cutler did. I respect that.

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
From what Cutler said, there have been more than a few closed door meetings between him and Marshall. After a certain point, it's time to take it to another level. That's what Cutler did. I respect that.

I agree with this. And really, is Cutler's sentiment any surprise? Of course Marshall isn't his favorite person right now. Cutler is trying to build a championship contender and Marshall has been on the front lines of every offseason disruption since he joined the team. What's he supposed to do, talk about what a wonderful football player he is?

topscribe
04-10-2008, 02:05 PM
As an amateur writer I've really struggled with this one. I mean, every time I see a barrage of tabloid journalism I want to just ignore it, but its become such a ubiquitous story, how can I?

The fact is everyone is talking about it. Its disappointing to see, as a fan. I feel like Elway had an opportunity to be a leader and shunned it. He's so influential, I find his comments frustrating.

At least by expressing a different opinion, I can try and reshape the discussion a little bit.

See, that is where I have to differ. Elway said what is on him mind because he
is a leader, just as Cutler did because he is a leader. I don't find anything
wrong in what either said.

And, as I mentioned, Elway only said what he (Elway) would do, while he
did express his support for Cutler.

-----

Lonestar
04-10-2008, 02:07 PM

I was referring to Jays initial comments when asked by the reporters. IMO he should have commented it was an internal issue and will be kept inside the locker room. Some thing like "we have talked about it man to man many times".. and went on to next question..

What John had to say IMO validates those the think it should be kept inside the locker room..

BOSSHOGG30
04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Jack Elway 2012

lex
04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I like honesty. I like that Cutler called out Marshall and I like that Elway called out Cutler (if you want to call it that). And if Cutler was offended by it, I think it could stand to help Cutler in that it could make him more determined to step beyond Elways shadow. Sometimes its better in the bigger picture if not everything is said or done with a velvet glove.

Benetto
04-10-2008, 02:22 PM
This is exactly what I wanted to write, but Chaz beat me to it...

BOSSHOGG30
04-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Pretty much Elway said... that the old more knowledgable Elway wouldn't have done it, but the younger Elway did try to reach players through the media.

I don't see the big deal.

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Did Cutler try to reach him through the media or was he just being open and honest with a microphone in his face? It's always the liitle aspects of the situation that we can only assume. But from my personal point of view, my response to John would be.."John, you are a legend in this town and in this game. What you did as the QB of this team will never be forgotten and it it not my career goal to break your legacy. However, you retired and said your days with this team were done. It's my team now and I'll lead them the best way I know how...without your opinion."

Would anyone care if Craig Morton criticized Elway 20 years ago?

BOSSHOGG30
04-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Did Cutler try to reach him through the media or was he just being open and honest with a microphone in his face? It's always the liitle aspects of the situation that we can only assume. But from my personal point of view, my response to John would be.."John, you are a legend in this town and in this game. What you did as the QB of this team will never be forgotten and it it not my career goal to break your legacy. However, you retired and said your days with this team were done. It's my team now and I'll lead them the best way I know how...without your opinion."

Yeah, because that would go over really well with Denver fans. I think Cutler is better off at least pretending he respects Elways opinion, regardless if he really does or not.

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM

Craig Morton is no John Elway; that's not a useful analogy. In my article, I used the analogy of Greenspan and Bernanke, which I think is more appropriate.

WARHORSE
04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Elway said absolutely nothing that stepped on Cutlers feet. And Cutler doesnt have to be offended by Elways remarks, nor would he imo.

Did anyone miss the part where he said Cutler should do what he thinks is right? Cutler obviously did that, and Elway is simply saying he did the same thing when he was younger, but learned that its probably not what he would do today.

In other words, do what you feel is right Jay, and roll with it. If at another point in your career you might choose to do things differently, fine.

Cutler SAID he should have chosen his words more carefully...........and I agree.

He is in total support of Brandon, even while making those statements.

100%

WARHORSE
04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
And BTW.............Elway does NOT have to be mum on the Broncos. He has every right to share his opinions should he choose to do so. Why would we allow a peon news reporting analyst voice his opinion and not the greatest QB that ever played the game? (my opinion and dont bother trying to change it, save your breath and typing)

Elway has class, and hes done nothing to hamper any of the QBs that have played beyond him.

This scenario included.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Craig Morton is no John Elway; that's not a useful analogy. In my article, I used the analogy of Greenspan and Bernanke, which I think is more appropriate.

What do you mean, "Craig Morton is no John Elway?" Are you talking about
their respective abilities as QB, their locker room leadership, their respective
wisdom, what? I really don't understand that comment.

I remember Craig Morton. That he was not Elway's peer in physical ability is,
of course, a no-brainer. But, I'll tell you now, I have admired few athletes
more than I did Morton for his fire, his competitiveness, his courage, and his
leadership. Morton's cannon arm (and he did have one, trust me) had nothing
to do with what he was as a man and a leader.

I am sure that Elway did value Morton's opinion, and I am sure Cutler values
Elway's opinion. To advise a young player to discount the opinions of such
illuminaries from the history of the franchise would be horrible advice (which
I know you did not advocate; that was a generic comment).

-----

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
What do you mean, "Craig Morton is no John Elway?" Are you talking about
their respective abilities as QB, their locker room leadership, their respective
wisdom, what? I really don't understand that comment.

I remember Craig Morton. That he was not Elway's peer in physical ability is,
of course, a no-brainer. But, I'll tell you now, I have admired few athletes
more than I did Morton for his fire, his competitiveness, his courage, and his
leadership. Morton's cannon arm (and he did have one, trust me) had nothing
to do with what he was as a man and a leader.

I am sure that Elway did value Morton's opinion, and I am sure Cutler values
Elway's opinion. To advise a young player to discount the opinions of such
illuminaries from the history of the franchise would be horrible advice (which
I know you did not advocate; that was a generic comment).

-----

Craig Morton is not the reference group that John Elway is. I'm not criticizing Morton nor am I comparing him to Elway, but his influence is not apples-to-apples with the fans.

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
And BTW.............Elway does NOT have to be mum on the Broncos. He has every right to share his opinions should he choose to do so. Why would we allow a peon news reporting analyst voice his opinion and not the greatest QB that ever played the game? (my opinion and dont bother trying to change it, save your breath and typing)

Elway has class, and hes done anything to hamper any of the QBs that have played beyond him.

This scenario included.

I've no doubt that you're listening to what Elway says and that you care what Elway says. That's precisely why this is a topic of discussion. Why would I try and convince you otherwise?

Elway's stature is precisely why its different when he makes comments like this than when just about anyone else does. Elway is synonymous with the Denver Broncos. I'm arguing that there is a implied responsibility to be a good caretaker of the organization.

No one is arguing we shouldn't care what Elway thinks. But if the goal is to kill a story that is the bemusement of Broncos haters around the globe, wouldn't we prefer Elway take a different tact?

jrelway
04-10-2008, 03:13 PM
dont tell the media anything they dont need to know. its that simple.

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
dont tell the media anything they dont need to know. its that simple.

If I was a PR strategist trying to protect my QB in a city where quarterbacks face the most scrupulous standards, I would take the same tact. I agree.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Craig Morton is not the reference group that John Elway is. I'm not criticizing Morton nor am I comparing him to Elway, but his influence is not apples-to-apples with the fans.

I'm still not sure what you're getting at. But what a QB is to the fans is not
a concern here. It is what they were to the team, especially at QB where
they are leaders by default. Morton made a career of that. That Elway was
light years better than Morton as a QB on the field does not make him wiser
in a situation such as this.

Going back to your original comment, I believe it is a very apt comparison. I
don't know why it wouldn't be. Morton was indeed a leader, respected and
looked up to by his teammates. Anyone who can rise out of his hospital
bed in the morning and go out and win the AFC Championship game that
afternoon, as he did against the Raiders in 1977, is a leader and someone
I would listen to as a young--or old--quarterback.

-----

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm still not sure what you're getting at. But what a QB is to the fans is not
a concern here. It is what they were to the team, especially at QB where
they are leaders by default. Morton made a career of that. That Elway was
light years better than Morton as a QB on the field does not make him wiser
in a situation such as this.

Going back to your original comment, I believe it is a very apt comparison. I
don't know why it wouldn't be. Morton was indeed a leader, respected and
looked up to by his teammates. Anyone who can rise out of his hospital
bed in the morning and go out and win the AFC Championship game that
afternoon, as he did against the Raiders in 1977, is a leader and someone
I would listen to as a young--or old--quarterback.

-----

I've no doubt that you are speaking sincerely, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that Broncos fans listen with the same fervor when Morton walks up to the microphone. Morton's character has nothing to do with it.

Elway is a key reference group for Broncos fans--just like Michael Jordan for the NBA or Wayne Gretzky in the NHL. When these people talk, people pay very close attention to what they say--unlike other celebrities. Morton doesn't have the same stature.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I've no doubt that you are speaking sincerely, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that Broncos fans listen with the same fervor when Morton walks up to the microphone. Morton's character has nothing to do with it.

Elway is a key reference group for Broncos fans--just like Michael Jordan for the NBA or Wayne Gretzky in the NHL. When these people talk, people pay very close attention to what they say--unlike other celebrities. Morton doesn't have the same stature.

We have people saying who gives a damn what Elway thinks, when I'm saying
who gives a damn what the fans think. It is what Cutler and Marshall and the
rest of the teammates think that matters.

I am saying that Cutler should listen to Elway and Morton and Tripucka, for
that matter. Not that he should necessarily fall into lockstep with them. He
is his own QB, and needs to make his own decisions, but he needs to value
their opinion.

But yes, as a QB, I would listen to Morton as intently as I would Elway.

-----

DenverBronkHoes
04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
the media questioned Eli Manning's leadership skills and such....

look what that clown did

DenverBronkHoes
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Elways deserves the respect... the guy has the right to say what he wants... Doesnt diminished what he did.... Doesnt change anything.. This is a new era... Its no longer the "john elway years"... Times are different, players are different.....

this is jays team now and until THAT changes, were going to get what we see..

i dont have any serious complaints other than he looks high and underslept everytime he is on TV....

Davii
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Elways deserves the respect... the guy has the right to say what he wants... Doesnt diminished what he did.... Doesnt change anything.. This is a new era... Its no longer the "john elway years"... Times are different, players are different.....

i dont have any serious complaints other than he looks high and underslept everytime he is on TV....

Wait... Did you seriously just complain about that? I mean, come on.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2008, 04:24 PM

It has been highly publicized that John Elway suffers from allergies

shank
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
It has been highly publicized that John Elway suffers from allergies

i think he meant jay.

but i'm surprised to hear hoes complain about someone looking high... :confused:

JONtheBRONCO
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
What's wrong with what Elway said? Nothing to me...

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
What's wrong with what Elway said? Nothing to me...

I totally agree - they ask him what he thought, and he told them - seems pretty simple to me.

r8rh8r
04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, there were interesting points all around in this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinion and thanks to those who read the article. I hope you all enjoyed the excellent Jay Cutler video!

BroncoJoe
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Stinky (Mark Schlereth (sp?)) was on the local talk show this morning. His point was Elway didn't approach the media that way because that's how it was back then. The NFL today is a different animal - you were an outsider back then if you didn't have a wife and kids. Complete opposite today.

These kids need to be first talked to in private. Doesn't work? Take it public. Still doesn't work? See PacMan or Henry.

honz
04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
This whole entire story (Marshall, Cutler, Elway) is so blown out of proportion. It is getting...scratch that...it GOT ridiculous quite a while ago.

Marshall hasn't thrown a hissy fit, Cutler stands by what he said, Elway answered a question...the end.

BroncoJoe
04-10-2008, 07:01 PM
This whole entire story (Marshall, Cutler, Elway) is so blown out of proportion. It is getting...scratch that...it GOT ridiculous quite a while ago.

Marshall hasn't thrown a hissy fit, Cutler stands by what he said, Elway answered a question...the end.

I totally agree!

hamrob
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Here's Jay's response to John's comments:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8866753

"John can say what he wants," Cutler said. "I'm not about to disagree with John Elway, but I've said from Day One, we're not the same quarterback on or off the field."

jrelway
04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
i like that last comment from jay. im sure it bugs the hell out of him living in elways shadow. but a very good shadow it is.

Reidman
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I just watched the interview that Top posted and I didn't hear Elway criticize Cutler once. He just stated that he would have handled things differently and that Marshall's arm injury wasn't a big deal in his opinion. It's one thing to publicly crticize someone, and another to have an opinion on how the situation could have been handled differently.

Overall, I thought Elway's comments pointed more to the leaderhsip role Cutler is trying to establish.

Not sure what people in the Bronco community are up in arms over this but they really shouldn't be...

omac
04-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Like hamrob, I like this comment the most. It's typical of Jay Cutler's personality. Though he's respectful, he's confident of his own skin and abilities. He isn't trying to be the next Elway, but at the same time, he isn't trying hard to step out of Elway's shadow. Which is a good thing, because as great as Elway was as a player, his legend is even greater, such that some people forget that he was sometimes made mistakes.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I just watched the interview that Top posted and I didn't hear Elway criticize Cutler once. He just stated that he would have handled things differently and that Marshall's arm injury wasn't a big deal in his opinion. It's one thing to publicly crticize someone, and another to have an opinion on how the situation could have been handled differently.

Overall, I thought Elway's comments pointed more to the leaderhsip role Cutler is trying to establish.

Not sure what people in the Bronco community are up in arms over this but they really shouldn't be...

Very good post Reid :salute:

scott.475
04-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh my gosh, talk about being blown TOTALLY out of proportion.

Brandon's injury? Okay, he got hurt at home! Yeah, hurtful to the team maybe, and we'll probably never know the whole truth about how it happened, but dang. He wasn't robbing a bank or anything when it happened. It is only magnified because he has had other, more blatantly deviant issues. Still, BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION!

Cutler's comments? Blown WAY out of proportion! I remember plenty of good QBs calling out players in the same way. Big flippin' deal.

Elway's comments? Blown WAY out of proportion, and anyone who reads any blatant or implied criticism of Jay into them MUST be looking for something that is not there. Wow...I think his comments have been TOTALLY taken out of context.

Can we just put this whole Marshall injury to rest now? What a bunch of wasted effort.

broncosfanscott
04-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Elway said because he was just answering a question that was asked. Jay and Elway are two different people and they handle things differently. I mean as Elway says:

"If that's what Jay feels like he needs to comment on, he needs to do that"

DenverBronkHoes
04-11-2008, 02:12 AM
i think he meant jay.

but i'm surprised to hear hoes complain about someone looking high... :confused:

am i the leader of a football team? making millions? having to live up to a certain standard?

its an observation..... i mean i cant find ANYHING wrong with his QB play

-biased mother bleeper

Nature Boy
04-11-2008, 03:35 AM
I realize that as Broncos fans we all respect and revere John Elway. For this very reason, his recent comments regarding Jay Cutler's leadership have some pretty big reverberations in the Broncos community. I, for one, am sick of all the media melodrama regarding the Cutler-Marshall fiasco and am disappointed in Elway for making some pretty irresponsible comments.

Here's some more detailed commentary on my feelings about this issue:

Elway's Distracting Comments Out of Line (http://www.rockymountainfever.net/2008/04/elways-distracting-comments-out-of-line.html)

I'd love to hear what you all think. Is Elway being irresponsible here? Do his comments make it harder for Cutler to emerge from Elway's shadow?

I think it's really not a big deal what Elway said and Cutler's absolutely right for publicly criticizing B. Marshall.

The video was very entertaining to watch, especially the Cutler to Marshall highlights. I hope Marshall is back to full speed and no permanent damage comes of his arm come start of season.

CoachChaz
04-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Kind of the point I was hoping to get at. Does Elway's word and opinion hold more truth simply because he had more talent?

r8rh8r
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Kind of the point I was hoping to get at. Does Elway's word and opinion hold more truth simply because he had more talent?

No, his statements are so powerful because of his celebrity. He's practically a euphemism for the organization. I'm not saying that's necessarily the way it ought to be; I'm only saying that's the way it is.

Elway's comments would be no different than Michael Jordan publicly criticizing Ben Gordon or Joe Montana publicly deriding Alex Smith. In all three cases, the player being criticized is already compared to these legends every time they walk on the field. As if that weren't bad enough, Cutler's got to deal with Elway second guessing him on national television.

As Broncos fans, we're sitting here crying in our beers about a 7 win season. 7 wins. For a lot of other franchises, 7 wins would be "it could have been worse." But in our case, it's never been worse. In Denver, the expectations are exorbitantly high and Elway is the cause--and the cure--for all those winning seasons. Does any quarterback today have to endure higher expectations or more pressure than Cutler?

If your argument is that it doesn't matter that its Elway, because he's just another guy with an opinion, I think that's short sighted. Morton and Elway don't make the same splash when they open their mouths. Every time Cutler gets in front of a microphone, they don't see Jay Cutler or Craig Morton--they see John Elway. That's the difference.

No one is more aware of these facts than Elway. He's not a Broncos 'outsider.' If it were me, and I wanted to be a "leader," I'd have picked a better tact. The fact that he didn't strikes me as hypocrisy given the subject matter.

By the way, I also happen to be a huge Orioles fan. The Orioles and the Broncos are a strange brew! We're off to a great start!

Italianmobstr7
04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
John Elway had no problem with Jay Cutler calling out a teammate last week.

But it's not how Elway would have done it. He would have kept his conversation with Brandon Marshall behind closed doors.

The Broncos' legendary quarterback said if the team's current quarterback felt like he needed to speak out about his star receiver's tendency to find off-field trouble, then so be it.

"I was surprised to hear it, actually," Elway said Wednesday during his Colorado Crush Arena Football League press gathering. "If that's what Jay feels like he needs to comment on then he needs to do that. I mean, personally, I would have done it to (Marshall). To me, as teammates — even though I've tried to settle things in the press, looking

back over the years, it's not been the right way to do it.
Upon hearing Elway had weighed in on the issue, Cutler said he was surprised his comments about Marshall had gotten so much attention.

"If I would have known it was going to be such a big story and get picked up by the national media like it did, I probably would have chosen my words a little more carefully," Cutler said.

"I think it's going to be a good thing for me and I think it's going to be a good thing for Brandon. I wouldn't have said what I did if I didn't care about him. I want to see him succeed. I think he's one of the most talented players in the league, and I'd hate to see him throw that all away."

Marshall is Cutler's favorite receiver, as evidenced by his team-high 102 catches last season.

Marshall and Cutler also have become friends off the field. In February, Cutler, Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler worked out together with renowned trainer Chip Smith in Atlanta.

But on March 22, Marshall engaged in horseplay with his brother at their vacation home in Orlando. The wrestling match ended with Marshall slipping on a McDonald's bag and his right forearm shattering an entertainment center. He suffered multiple lacerations to his

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. (John Leyba/ The Denver Post)muscles, tendons, a nerve, vein and artery and underwent emergency surgery.
"People have to understand about Brandon Marshall and I, we go out to dinner together, we went to Atlanta together," Cutler said. "I've talked to Brandon about this many times. It's not like this is the first time he heard this from me. Everything I said in that press conference I've said to Brandon before. I don't think he was shocked to hear what I said. Maybe he was a little embarrassed, but hopefully it will help him."

Marshall had also been involved in other incidents last year, including a disturbance outside a downtown Denver nightclub the night teammate Darrent Williams was killed, a domestic violence charge that was later dropped, and a DUI charge that is pending.

Cutler seemed at wit's end last week when he spoke about his receiver's latest incident.

"He's not my favorite person right now," Cutler said. "I support him, but it's always something with him right now and you can't have that. It's disappointing."

Elway was asked if Cutler's public remarks about Marshall were a sign Cutler is ready to become the team's primary leader?

"We'll see. There's talk and there's do," Elway said. "The bottom line is there's talk and there's wins. And there's one thing that talks and that's wins, so we'll see what happens."

Cutler's record with the Broncos is 9-12 since taking over as starter 11 games into the 2006 season.

"John can say what he wants," Cutler said. "I'm not about to disagree with John Elway, but I've said from Day 1, we're not the same quarterback on or off the field."

Article was written by Mike Klis.

Scarface
04-11-2008, 09:47 AM
John I love you and all, but can't you go sell cars or tinker with your little Arena team?

BroncoJoe
04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
It's a different league today than when Elway was playing.

tubby
04-11-2008, 10:04 AM
"We'll see. There's talk and there's do," Elway said. "The bottom line is there's talk and there's wins. And there's one thing that talks and that's wins, so we'll see what happens."

__________________________________________________ _______________

Time for Cutler to win some ball games.

Rex
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
"John can say what he wants," Cutler said. "I'm not about to disagree with John Elway, but I've said from Day 1, we're not the same quarterback on or off the field."

Ziggy
04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I like the way that Cutler is standing his ground while all the time being respectful to Elway and his opinion. That's a tough spot to be in here in Denver, and the kid is handling it very well.

OB
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Sheesh I love Elway n all but hello its 2008 not 1998 - Let the boy be his own man - IMHO we as the fans cause this - just sayin

GEM
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I like the way that Cutler is standing his ground while all the time being respectful to Elway and his opinion. That's a tough spot to be in here in Denver, and the kid is handling it very well.

Oh lordy....could you imagine the uproar around here if Jake Plummer did that. :lol:

I like the kids confidence and he's the only one I've seen that isn't afraid of the Elway shadow....heck he's stepped to the side to avoid it.

MileHigh_MadMan
04-11-2008, 10:48 AM
While I'm a huge Elway fan but I always find it interesting when an ex player complains about a coach or another player using the media to 'air' his opinion...using...you guessed it THE MEDIA. If that's your opinion, great...practice what you preach and take it up with Cutler privately.

JONtheBRONCO
04-11-2008, 10:50 AM
You know, I like John and all... but, Cutler is our quarterback now, and thats all I really give a shit about. Cutler is the man.

r8rh8r
04-11-2008, 12:54 PM
This was exactly the kind of sentiment I was hoping to provoke in the "Elway's comments out of line" thread and related article. The media is having a field day with this manufactured controversy, and I don't see enough people stopping and saying, "you know what, to hell with these people, Cutler is our guy and we're behind him."

You don't have to watch much film to realize that Cutler is the best young QB in the NFL by a long shot. He's already better than Plummer. He has Hall of Fame potential. I hate to see these vultures giving him crap because his receiver is an idiot.

NightTrainLayne
04-11-2008, 01:06 PM
This was exactly the kind of sentiment I was hoping to provoke in the "Elway's comments out of line" thread and related article. The media is having a field day with this manufactured controversy, and I don't see enough people stopping and saying, "you know what, to hell with these people, Cutler is our guy and we're behind him."

You don't have to watch much film to realize that Cutler is the best young QB in the NFL by a long shot. He's already better than Plummer. He has Hall of Fame potential. I hate to see these vultures giving him crap because his receiver is an idiot.

They have to. That way in five years they can do a bunch of feel-good stories about how Cutler has overcome, and battled through all the problems that come with playing QB in Elway's shadow. :rolleyes:

topscribe
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Does a player automatically turn dunce when he retires? That's a big problem
with today's generation: failure to take advice from those older and more
experienced than they.

If someone such as Elway, how has some 20 years experience at leading a
team, i.e., quarterback, then everyone should listen. I agree with the way
Cutler handled it, too, but I don't see where that would give me cause to put
Elway down.

-----

r8rh8r
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Does a player automatically turn dunce when he retires? That's a big problem
with today's generation: failure to take advice from those older and more
experienced than they.

If someone such as Elway, how has some 20 years experience at leading a
team, i.e., quarterback, then everyone should listen. I agree with the way
Cutler handled it, too, but I don't see where that would give me cause to put
Elway down.

-----

I think if you look at the column that started this thread, you'd see that the argument that I'm calling Elway a dunce is baseless. There's no question Elway's advice is meaningful to Cutler (not to "us" because its not directed at us in the first place), I just questioned his tact. Always. Criticize. Privately. I agree, John. Always. Criticize. Privately.

Its not about putting Elway down. Elway doesn't pretend to be infallible; he's not beyond reproach.

topscribe
04-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I think if you look at the column that started this thread, you'd see that the argument that I'm calling Elway a dunce is baseless. There's no question Elway's advice is meaningful to Cutler (not to "us" because its not directed at us in the first place), I just questioned his tact. Always. Criticize. Privately. I agree, John. Always. Criticize. Privately.

Its not about putting Elway down. Elway doesn't pretend to be infallible; he's not beyond reproach.

I did not have your post in mind when I posted my comment. In fact, it was
in a different thread before it was merged with this one. I was referring, for
one instance, to the post that said something to the effect, go play with your
cars and your arena league team. I viewed that as putting Elway down.

Anyway, "always" is a mighty big word. And that is not what Elway said.
He said it is not the way he personally would do it, but he also indicated
support for Cutler's doing things the way he did it. So I agree with both
players' comments.

Anyway, I have repeated this ad nauseum, so it would do well for both of
us to consider this argument overwith. *sheesh*

(Why do issues like this seemingly always have to become pissing contests?)

-----

WARHORSE
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I've no doubt that you're listening to what Elway says and that you care what Elway says. That's precisely why this is a topic of discussion. Why would I try and convince you otherwise?

Elway's stature is precisely why its different when he makes comments like this than when just about anyone else does. Elway is synonymous with the Denver Broncos. I'm arguing that there is a implied responsibility to be a good caretaker of the organization.

No one is arguing we shouldn't care what Elway thinks. But if the goal is to kill a story that is the bemusement of Broncos haters around the globe, wouldn't we prefer Elway take a different tact?

And I totally agree with you in each aspect. Elways DOES still have to be careful how he words things. At the same time, I dont think Elway said anything at all in criticism towards Jay. If you put the heading over the article like this:

ELWAY DISAGREES WITH CUTLERS CRITICISM

all of a sudden it becomes a big issue. Elway did no such thing, he wasnt being a Cutler critic at all, and said nothing out of line. He DID say: Jay should do what he feels is right............now look at the heading like this:

ELWAYS FEELS CUTLER SHOULD DO WHAT HE THINKS IS RIGHT

this whole thing becomes a different beast.....an altogether tamed one.

scott.475
04-11-2008, 07:28 PM
This is unreal. Did John call the press conference to criticize Jay? I thought he was asked the question during a press conference about the Crush. That being the case, John did not go to the media to complain, nor did he even complain about what Jay did. The MEDIA asked John the question, and he answered back. I suppose he could have said "No comment", but that would have caused just as much of a storm. The media asked him the questioned, he answered, and it was not a complaint toward Jay, so there was no "complaining to the media" by John here.

As I look across the street at my neighbor's lawn, I see he mows with a horizontal pattern. That is not what I do, I mow on a diagonal. I am not complaining about the neighbor, mind you, but my preference is for a diagonal pattern...big deal.

It is literally impossible for me to see any criticism of Jay coming from John in that statement.

I do find it a bit ironic that when Jay first called out Brandon, almost everybody thought it was great. Now that John has spoken, however, Jay was suddenly wrong?

For a lesson on complaining to the media, watch senator (small "s" intended) Chuck Schumer sometime, if your stomach can handle it. The most dangerous place in the world is between Schumer and a news camera...THAT is complaining to the media.

It's finally Friday. Everybody go grab a beer, grab your honey, and chill out.

Hawgdriver
04-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I didn't get into daytime television programming before, and I don't plan on getting into 'man-soaps' now.

Crush05
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Well IMO and do not get me wrong I love Elway, everyone here should know that. But some things are better left alone. Elway could have just stated this is Jay's team and he is the man now. This also would have passed on the reins to Cutler in which would truely end the John Elway era. This is Jay's team and his time. I Love John to no end, so let's face the facts John is gone and there is nothing he can do for us now. So I would say and this is just an opinion that yes John crossed the line!:behindsofa: