PDA

View Full Version : Marshall wants big contract, even if it's from Broncos

Italianmobstr7
03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 26, 2010 9:24 PM ET
In theory, a public relations firm should be able to represent a client's interests in a clear, positive manner.

Here is the statement Brandon Marshall's P.R. firm EAG released Friday night to Josina Anderson of KDVR in Denver:

"Brandon Marshall is continuing to work out and progress this offseason, and is hopeful that wherever he lands that it will be the right place. Additionally, if it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered, there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time."

Luckily, we have our P.R. firm translator nearby. It spit this out:

"Brandon Marshall wants a lot of money. It's cool if the Broncos are the team to pay it. As long as it's lot of money."

Here's a tip to Marshall if he wants to save money: Fire your public relations team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/marshall-releases-bizarre-statement/

Now I just hope our management will be smart enough to PAY THE MAN. I don't care about his off the field issues (he hasn't had any in a year at least that would cause a suspension). We are a better football team with Marshall on it, so please Broncos FO GET A CONTRACT DONE!

Buff
03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, it's been a month or two since Brandon has done anything dumb or called the franchise out publicly... So I suppose he was overdue.

Seriously, the guy doesn't get it. He is just dumb, I don't know any other way to put it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Well, it's been a month or two since Brandon has done anything dumb or called the franchise out publicly... So I suppose he was overdue.

Seriously, the guy doesn't get it. He is just dumb, I don't know any other way to put it.

There's also a small chance that he is starting to mature.

Ziggy
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Now I just hope our management will be smart enough to PAY THE MAN. I don't care about his off the field issues (he hasn't had any in a year at least that would cause a suspension). We are a better football team with Marshall on it, so please Broncos FO GET A CONTRACT DONE!

He hasn't been arrested for a whole year? Well that should be worth 20-30 million guaranteed. Forget about the fact that it will cripple the future of this team if he gets in trouble again, pay the man!

Buff
03-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Releasing a statement reminding everyone that he's unhappy with his contract situation doesn't strike me as a sign of maturity... It just strikes me as the same ol' Brandon.

But in his warped mind he probably thinks that by releasing a statement through a PR firm instead of saying it personally he is somehow being more professional.

getlynched47
03-26-2010, 09:05 PM
That's gotta be one of the worst PR Statements I have ever read.

I'm glad Marshall made a great choice for the PR department that represents him :doh:

UnderArmour
03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
At least he's honest. I'd take Marshall back for slightly less than what Larry Fitzgerald is making.

Buff
03-26-2010, 09:17 PM
At least he's honest.

But everyone knows exactly where he stands. He wants a new contract--we get it. What's the point in releasing a statement right now? Does he want us to weep for him and his $3 million salary? He's just trying to revive a stagnant trade market and instead it comes across as immature and foolish.

honz
03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Releasing a statement reminding everyone that he's unhappy with his contract situation doesn't strike me as a sign of maturity... It just strikes me as the same ol' Brandon.

But in his warped mind he probably thinks that by releasing a statement through a PR firm instead of saying it personally he is somehow being more professional.

Who the **** cares man? Of course he's not happy with his contract situation, because technically he doesn't have one! All he's really saying with this is that he is staying in shape and would be willing to return to the Broncos. I'm not seeing the big problem here...

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2010, 09:21 PM
This is the only statement that his PR firm made:

Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall's PR firm contacted FOX31 Sports to disseminate the following message Friday evening:

http://community.kdvr.com/_EAG-PR-firm-clarifies-Brandon-Marshalls-current-status/blog/2270810/96399.html

"Brandon Marshall is continuing to work out and progress this offseason, and is hopeful that wherever he lands that it will be the right place. Additionally, if it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered, there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time." ---EAG PR Firm.

It appears this statement in the original thread, is Rosenthal's interpretation of the above statement.

"Brandon Marshall wants a lot of money. It's cool if the Broncos are the team to pay it. As long as it's lot of money."

Buff
03-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Who the **** cares man? Of course he's not happy with his contract situation, because technically he doesn't have one! All he's really saying with this is that he is staying in shape and would be willing to return to the Broncos. I'm not seeing the big problem here...

1.) There is no need to release a statement other than to try and win the court of public opinion over Broncos management by reminding everyone (completely unprovoked) that the Broncos haven't offered him a long term deal. The Broncos have made their position known, this is just another example of "the wrong way to do business in the National Football League".

2.) He has a contract offer on the table to make $3mil+ next year. He can sign that anytime he wants. If he shuts up, plays, does what the coaches ask and stays out of trouble he is going to get paid. So, I'm just not feeling a ton of sympathy for the guy.

Lancane
03-26-2010, 09:40 PM
1.) There is no need to release a statement other than to try and win the court of public opinion over Broncos management by reminding everyone (completely unprovoked) that the Broncos haven't offered him a long term deal. The Broncos have made their position known, this is just another example of "the wrong way to do business in the National Football League".

2.) He has a contract offer on the table to make $3mil+ next year. He can sign that anytime he wants. If he shuts up, plays, does what the coaches ask and stays out of trouble he is going to get paid. So, I'm just not feeling a ton of sympathy for the guy.

Do you actually think that is good for a receiver of his caliber?...this is not the 80's. He should be making about 9 million a year at least.

honz
03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
FWIW, Josina Anderson said on twitter that Marshall did not release a statement and that she simply had a conversation with his representatives. Whatever that means...

Buff
03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
FWIW, Josina Anderson said on twitter that Marshall did not release a statement and that she simply had a conversation with his representatives. Whatever that means...

It means Josina Anderson is still an idiot and a crappy journalist.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM

The following statement is nothing more than a rebuttal statement:

"if it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered, there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time."

They are stating that the following, posted on 3-6 is not true, or Brandon would be staying with the Broncos:

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14523017

The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Traveler
03-26-2010, 10:01 PM
The idiocy continues! This dud(e) can mess up a wet dream.

Buff
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM

"if it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered, there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time."

They are stating that the following, posted on 3-6 is not true, or Brandon would be staying with the Broncos:

The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Even if that's true, it still leaves more questions than answers.

Why did they wait 3 weeks to refute the report? Why did they do it through Fox 31 instead of going to the original source of the report? Are they actually refuting the report? They don't specifically deny that the $9.5 million figure was inaccurate, they just imply that he wasn't offered a salary "commensurate with Marshall's skills". Maybe they thought $9.5 million wasn't enough. Were both of Klis's sources wrong?

Any way you look at it, releasing this statement is another dumb move in a long line of dumb moves by Marshall. It's not the end of the world and might ultimately being a non-issue if he gets traded... But at some point, it's like "WTF Brandon?"

claymore
03-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Even if that's true, it still leaves more questions than answers.

Why did they wait 3 weeks to refute the report? Why did they do it through Fox 31 instead of going to the original source of the report? Are they actually refuting the report? They don't specifically deny that the $9.5 million figure was inaccurate, they just imply that he wasn't offered a salary "commensurate with Marshall's skills". Maybe they thought $9.5 million wasn't enough. Were both of Klis's sources wrong?

Any way you look at it, releasing this statement is another dumb move in a long line of dumb moves by Marshall. It's not the end of the world and might ultimately being a non-issue if he gets traded... But at some point, it's like "WTF Brandon?"

It could have been much, much worse.

Buff
03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
It could have been much, much worse.

I don't disagree, but every time he opens his mouth he's just costing himself money--that's my point here. The guy doesn't know how to help his own cause.

claymore
03-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't disagree, but every time he opens his mouth he's just costing himself money--that's my point here. The guy doesn't know how to help his own cause.

I think he's delaying the money because no one wants to give up a pick for a dumbass. I think he would have to kill a prostitute to affect his money much though.

Lonestar
03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Is that a chance small enough to be risking 20+ million guaranteed on?

claymore
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Is that a chance small enough to be risking 20+ million guaranteed on?

Less risky than a draft pick. At least we know Marhsall can play AND pass a drug test!

Lonestar
03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Less risky than a draft pick. At least we know Marhsall can play AND pass a drug test!

Well we do know he can play as for the drug test getting a huge pay day may screw the pooch on that one.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Do we really know if those were Brandon's words, or the PR firm's words?

Lonestar
03-26-2010, 10:35 PM

If he hired them then he should have approval on it.

thus be responsible for it.

dogfish
03-26-2010, 10:55 PM

he really doesn't. . . and if he gets too greedy it could end up biting him in the ass. . . we'll see, but IMO he's delusional if he thinks anyone is going to pay him like larry fitzgerald without a contract that's structured to protect the team as much as possible. . . his ability and production do justify huge dollars, but he's got no one but himself to blame that he hasn't gotten it already. . .

it was reported that we were negotiating a new deal with him last offseason before he stepped on his carrot again, and some recent reports have even suggested that that offer was in the $10 mil/year range that fitz is in. . .

he's one screw up away from NO big pay day, at least nothing close to 10 mil per. . . the first substantial offer he gets, he should run not walk to sign that bad boy. . .

dogfish
03-26-2010, 11:06 PM

JR's right-- those are his hired representatives, their words do speak for him. . . it's precisely what he's paying them for. . .

"Additionally, if it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered, there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time."

i can appreciate your desire to "stick up" for guys on the team, it's just a function of your loyalty-- but there's really very little ambiguity in the statement. . .

he thought he was out of here and in the money the day we tendered him at a 1st, and now he's getting uneasy because it hasn't happened. . . seattle hasn't signed him to an offer sheet, and no one else has even met with him. . . his agent may have explained to him that-- at least ATM-- teams aren't lining up to pay him, and that the broncos could potentially still be one of his better options to get paid. . . because josh may have issues with him, but bowlen has publicly stated that he'd be happy to keep brandon in denver. . .

at the very least, it doesn't hurt him any to keep us in play, and to me this looks like some public fence-mending, along with the less than subtle reminder that he wants the big money. . . sounds to me like his camp is putting it out there that he'd be okay to stay in denver IF we're still willing to pony up. . .

Tned
03-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Even if he was offered a contract, without knowing the details, we don't know if it was 'commensurate' with his skills and the going price for such skills in the NFL.

It would need to be 4-6 years long, 8-9 million a year, and $15-25 million guaranteed.

Lonestar
03-26-2010, 11:19 PM
JR's right-- those are his hired representatives, their words do speak for him. . . it's precisely what he's paying them for. . .

i can appreciate your desire to "stick up" for guys on the team, it's just a function of your loyalty-- but there's really very little ambiguity in the statement. . .

he thought he was out of here and in the money the day we tendered him at a 1st, and now he's getting uneasy because it hasn't happened. . . seattle hasn't signed him to an offer sheet, and no one else has even met with him. . . his agent may have explained to him that-- at least ATM-- teams aren't lining up to pay him, and that the broncos could potentially still be one of his better options to get paid. . . because josh may have issues with him, but bowlen has publicly stated that he'd be happy to keep brandon in denver. . .

at the very least, it doesn't hurt him any to keep us in play, and to me this looks like some public fence-mending, along with the less than subtle reminder that he wants the big money. . . sounds to me like his camp is putting it out there that he'd be okay to stay in denver IF we're still willing to pony up. . .

But the great part is WE DO NOT have to pony up he is ours for whatever he was tendered for, this year. Potentially also next year if there is not lock out.

Take it or leave it or get your agent to talk to other teams about an incentive laden deal to make the first they have to give up to us more palatable.

Northman
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
He hasn't been arrested for a whole year? Well that should be worth 20-30 million guaranteed. Forget about the fact that it will cripple the future of this team if he gets in trouble again, pay the man!

:lol::lol::lol:

Yea, stop the presses. He's been a good boy so far in the offseason for the first time in his life. Lets just throw him a bunch of money so he can get into even more trouble. Yea, thats the ticket!

Northman
03-26-2010, 11:41 PM
At least he's honest. I'd take Marshall back for slightly less than what Larry Fitzgerald is making.

Im fine with honesty, and Marshall should be fine with Denver's honesty about not paying him until he cleans up his act. I mean, if we are being honest here.

Dean
03-26-2010, 11:56 PM
"The thread title Marshall wants a big contract" is right on tract but I don't see all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Ask yourself, don't we all?

Bosco
03-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Yet he turned down the chance to sign a contract last offseason because it had clauses to protect the team in the event of one of his inevitable **** ups.

Hey Brandon...Get the **** out!

Dean
03-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Yet he turned down the chance to sign a contract last offseason because it had clauses to protect the team in the event of one of his inevitable **** ups.

Hey Brandon...Get the **** out!

Oh, would you post that contract so that all of us know what it said?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2010, 08:50 AM
http://twitter.com/josinaanderson

# F.Y.I.To be clear, Brandon Marshall did not release a statement. The aforementioned tweet came from a conversation with his representatives. about 11 hours ago via TweetDeck

It APPEARS that Ms Josina had to CLEAR some things up.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 09:55 AM
If the info came from "his REPS" it should be considered that he wanted it OUT.

Unless he fires this "rep" it should be considered FROM his lips.

One does not hire a PR firm to put out the wrong information.

Or I guess you could say this is a weak ass apology. :laugh: :laugh:

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

GEM
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Give me a break. How many times have we heard "all the right things" out of Brandon Marshall? He's the boy that cried wolf. I'm so tired of Brandon drama. Just let it get done, however it works out.

Ahhhh crap....this is Josina Anderson crap? While what I said stands true, anything coming from that dumb broad is questionable. :brickwall: If Brandon takes off out of Denver, hope he takes her with him.

Nickademus
03-27-2010, 10:43 AM

I highly doubt that this was brandon releasing a quote about his contract status. I would bet it was the agent. this is how this crap works in the off season. now had brandon done something stupid like his usual off season crap then yea I would be right with you but my guess is the dude has been put in a rubber room for the time being so that he won't hurt himself or screw all of the people who will get paid when he gets that mega contract.

broncophan
03-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Marshall just needs to disappear...................I don't care how much money he gets.....as long as the bronco organization is not the ones stupid enough to pay him.....(and I really think the bronco organization is smart enough to know not to pay him or give him another contract)

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Ahhhh crap....this is Josina Anderson crap? While what I said stands true, anything coming from that dumb broad is questionable. :brickwall: If Brandon takes off out of Denver, hope he takes her with him.

EXACTLY - it would not be the FIRST time she reported things "in her OWN words" - which just may NOT have been what was EXACTLY said to her. There is some reason she posted a CLARIFICATION

Spiritguy
03-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Great idea Gem, a two for one deal. We'll let any team have Brandon but, Josina goes too. :D

Ravage!!!
03-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I haven't seen a thing that say "marshall said anything" from this article. This was someone else supposedly speaking for him. So those of ou getting bent out of shape because of what "marshall said"...... :shrug:

Italianmobstr7
03-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Marshall just needs to disappear...................I don't care how much money he gets.....as long as the bronco organization is not the ones stupid enough to pay him.....(and I really think the bronco organization is smart enough to know not to pay him or give him another contract)

Well he won't disappear. Even if he goes to another team (which I really hope he doesn't) he'll be in our faces all season long, because he's a top 5 WR in the league. The dude is a SUPERSTAR. We only have 1 other on our team. Champ Bailey. When people think of the Broncos right now, they think of Brandon Marshall. The Broncos SHOULD give him a new contract, and keep him in Denver for a very long time. There should be some protections if he does happen to screw up, but he deserves a new long term contract (based on his play on the field) and I pray that we're the team that gives it to him.

JDL
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Marshall is worth more as a 'player' than he has received and has vastly surpassed his contract value in that regard... as a 'teammate' and 'person' I'm not entirely sure we aren't overpaying him.

T.K.O.
03-27-2010, 11:25 AM
is this supposed to be "NEWS" ?
i'm pretty sure the broncos and the entire league already knew that marshall wants paid.
and he would welcome it from any team willing.... even the broncos (which he has stated more than once)
this blurb is not earth shaking. and will not have any impact on how the broncos or any team views the situation.

gregbroncs
03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 26, 2010 9:24 PM ET
In theory, a public relations firm should be able to represent a client's interests in a clear, positive manner.

Here is the statement Brandon Marshall's P.R. firm EAG released Friday night to Josina Anderson of KDVR in Denver:

"Brandon Marshall is continuing to work out and progress this offseason, and is hopeful that wherever he lands that it will be the right place. Additionally, if it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered, there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time."

Here's a tip to Marshall if he wants to save money: Fire your public relations team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/marshall-releases-bizarre-statement/

Now I just hope our management will be smart enough to PAY THE MAN. I don't care about his off the field issues (he hasn't had any in a year at least that would cause a suspension). We are a better football team with Marshall on it, so please Broncos FO GET A CONTRACT DONE!Soo... not showing up on time to treatment on an injury is an on the field problem? I get that it kept him off of the field for an important game though. I am done with Marshall if they can get something for him. If not make him accept the tender. Maybe he'll finally get that all the bad pub is bad for his pocket book. I doubt it but hell who knows.

Tned
03-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Soo... not showing up on time to treatment on an injury is an on the field problem? I get that it kept him off of the field for an important game though. I am done with Marshall if they can get something for him. If not make him accept the tender. Maybe he'll finally get that all the bad pub is bad for his pocket book. I doubt it but hell who knows.

Showing up 20 minutes late for a treatment on his hamstring didn't keep him out of any game.

Also, I take it from the comments the last 3 1/2 months, that nobody on this forum has ever been 20 minutes late for work, or an appointment. Never had car problems, over slept, had a personal issue or anything else EVER come up and cause them to be a few minutes late for work.

Or, if you were, you were immediately fired or publicly reprimanded for showing up late.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 12:00 PM
You forgot his antics during Tc and then there was the OTAs crap also. All within the last year.

Not to mention him and his fiance beating on each other just after the probowl in ATL.

Nay the guy is golden and should be trusted just because he has gone a full year without being arrested.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Showing up 20 minutes late for a treatment on his hamstring didn't keep him out of any game.

Also, I take it from the comments the last 3 1/2 months, that nobody on this forum has ever been 20 minutes late for work, or an appointment. Never had car problems, over slept, had a personal issue or anything else EVER come up and cause them to be a few minutes late for work.

Or, if you were, you were immediately fired or publicly reprimanded for showing up late.

Do you suppose that had he not have had all the other baggage nothing would ha ve been said.

And no I make sure that I'm on time for every appointment. In fact I'm usually there 15-20 minutes early. I have multiple alarms and back the plugged in ones with battery types.

I always checkin for flights atleast 1.5 hours early.

It is simply a sign of respect that BM has not yet figured out.

The world does not rotate around him

Northman
03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Do you suppose that had he not have had all the other baggage nothing would ha ve been said.

And no I make sure that I'm on time for every appointment. In fact I'm usually there 15-20 minutes early. I have multiple alarms and back the plugged in ones with battery types.

I always checkin for flights atleast 1.5 hours early.

It is simply a sign of respect that BM has not yet figured out.

The world does not rotate around him

You mean the entire team doesnt punt the ball and pout? You mean they all dont pack it in and leave the field when they feel its too cold? Shocking. :shocked:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2010, 12:16 PM
More than likely, we have ALL done things in our past, that we should NOT have done - things we FINALLY realized were not the things to do. And, we are NOT still being held accountable for them. I for one, will give Brandon the "benefit" of not holding him accountable for past wrongs, as I hope others are doing for me, and I am sure many hope others are doing for them.

Tned
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
You mean the entire team doesnt punt the ball and pout? You mean they all dont pack it in and leave the field when they feel its too cold? Shocking. :shocked:

We can play this "make a point looking from only one side" game all day.

You mean the entire team was put on the scout team as a safety and punt gunner?

You mean no other player on the team, all year, pulled himself out of a practice for an injury, feeling bad, or other issue?

Northman
03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
More than likely, we have ALL done things in our past, that we should NOT have done - things we FINALLY realized were not the things to do. And, we are NOT still being held accountable for them. I for one, will give Brandon the "benefit" of not holding him accountable for past wrongs, as I hope others are doing for me, and I am sure many hope others are doing for them.

When you fail to learn from the mistakes you dont get the "benefit" of anything.

Northman
03-27-2010, 12:27 PM
We can play this "make a point looking from only one side" game all day.

You mean the entire team was put on the scout team as a safety and punt gunner?

You mean no other player on the team, all year, pulled himself out of a practice for an injury, feeling bad, or other issue?

Coach makes the calls, if he feels a player needs to be put somewhere he does it. Its not up to the player to throw temper tantrums because of it. But nice try there.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
When you fail to learn from the mistakes you dont get the "benefit" of anything.

You know - sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes to learn from mistakes, and even if you learn from one mistake, there is a 99.9% chance you will make another mistake.

Face it, none of us are "squeeky clean" - just because the mistakes we make are not known to the world, that does not mean we are better than anyone else. That does not mean we should be able to hold someone to a higher standard than we hold ourselves.

Northman
03-27-2010, 12:46 PM
You know - sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes to learn from mistakes, and even if you learn from one mistake, there is a 99.9% chance you will make another mistake.

Face it, none of us are "squeeky clean" - just because the mistakes we make are not known to the world, that does not mean we are better than anyone else. That does not mean we should be able to hold someone to a higher standard than we hold ourselves.

Oh my. How long does it take to learn from the same mistakes Carol? 5 years? 10 years? How long should Denver wait? How long should Denver wait for ONE player on this team to "get it" before they move on? Sorry, the percentage of the players on this team dont have that kind of problem on that kind of level. And most certainly as a team you dont throw millions of dollars to someone who cant "get it" after 13 arrests, etc. So if a child molestor has a problem learning that what he is doing is wrong do you keep giving him a pass because we arent perfect individuals? :lol:

Italianmobstr7
03-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh my. How long does it take to learn from the same mistakes Carol? 5 years? 10 years? How long should Denver wait? How long should Denver wait for ONE player on this team to "get it" before they move on? Sorry, the percentage of the players on this team dont have that kind of problem on that kind of level. And most certainly as a team you dont throw millions of dollars to someone who cant "get it" after 13 arrests, etc. So if a child molestor has a problem learning that what he is doing is wrong do you keep giving him a pass because we arent perfect individuals? :lol:

They should wait on Brandon as long as it takes if he keeps producing the way he has over the past 3 seasons. Maybe if we gave him the money he has earned and deserves he wouldn't have acted out during training camp. I'm not saying that's how he should have handled it, but just pay the damn guy and maybe he'll stop acting out.

Also, he didn't "beat" on ANY women as far as any of us know. He was found innocent of ALL charges.

Northman
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
They should wait on Brandon as long as it takes if he keeps producing the way he has over the past 3 seasons. Maybe if we gave him the money he has earned and deserves he wouldn't have acted out during training camp. I'm not saying that's how he should have handled it, but just pay the damn guy and maybe he'll stop acting out.

Also, he didn't "beat" on ANY women as far as any of us know. He was found innocent of ALL charges.

Believe that if you wish but when its more than one women reporting abuse i tend to see trend there. Ignorance is bliss as they say and just because one women cut off her own nose to spite her face by trying to blackmail Brandon doesnt mean the abuse didnt take place. She was just dumb as rocks but again, you cant simply just wipe away 13 arrests like its no thing. And no, paying him money when he cant even prove to be mature isnt the answer.

honz
03-27-2010, 01:56 PM
What's a mistake? I am unfamiliar with such a concept.

dogfish
03-27-2010, 02:07 PM
man, i can't wait until this situation is resolved, one way or another, and we can talk about something else. . . .

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:10 PM
man, i can't wait until this situation is resolved, one way or another, and we can talk about something else. . . .

No kidding. Im waiting for this guy to be gone already.

honz
03-27-2010, 02:17 PM
No kidding. Im waiting for this guy to be gone already.

I think you will be disappointed then. I don't see Marshall going anywhere...at least not this year.

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I think you will be disappointed then. I don't see Marshall going anywhere...at least not this year.

Maybe, but the sooner the better.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 02:30 PM

I forgot about the its to cold for my lungs gambit. Bm is just so much fun to laugh at. I think I know why so many want to keep him around.

But hell for 9+ mil per year they could get Eddie Murphy to come in for half time shows. and we would not have a stiff that has a personal ID pass to the commissioners floor at the NFL headquarters/office.:salute:

gregbroncs
03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
This would be nice. Unfortunately the only way for it to be "resolved" is if he is gone. If he signs the tender this becomes a topic for another year. If the Broncos match an offer from another team this may go away in less than that year but only if there is not a single problem from BM (even a minor one).

honz
03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry, but I think someone just called Marshall a "stiff".

Lancane
03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Believe that if you wish but when its more than one women reporting abuse i tend to see trend there. Ignorance is bliss as they say and just because one women cut off her own nose to spite her face by trying to blackmail Brandon doesnt mean the abuse didnt take place. She was just dumb as rocks but again, you cant simply just wipe away 13 arrests like its no thing. And no, paying him money when he cant even prove to be mature isnt the answer.

(AP)
Denver Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith was arrested Monday on charges of third-degree assault and harassment after an altercation last week with his common-law wife, authorities said.

DENVER -- Denver Bronco's player Richard Quinn was arrested on charges of domestic violence and harassment on Monday after he allegedly threw his girlfriend to the ground and refused to allow her to call 911.

Quinn and his girlfriend, Tiffany Merritt, 22, got into an argument in their residence in the 10100 block of Inverness Main Street in Englewood, said Deb Thompson of the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office.

AURORA, Colo. -- Former Broncos defensive back Tyrone Braxton has been arrested on suspicion of drug possession.

Denver Broncos defensive lineman Marcus Thomas was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance on Sunday in his native Florida, the Jacksonville Times-Union...

Former Broncos receiver Vance Johnson was arrested Thursday at the Larimer County Justice Center.

According to a county arrest report, Johnson was arrested for failing to appear on a civil matter and on a warrant out of Garfield County. Johnson posted a combined bond of $41,500. The arrest warrant from Garfield County stems from a divorce case in which Johnson is accused of not paying his ex-wife $36,500.

Best known as one of the "Three Amigos" -- along with fellow Broncos receivers Mark Jackson and Ricky Nattiel -- who played together for the Broncos from 1987 to 1992.

Johnson has had a tough time since leaving the NFL. His 19-year-old son died in a 2007 Denver auto accident. His Garfield County home went into foreclosure in March 2008, and he surrendered his 2006 Land Rover in February 2008, according to the Glenwood Springs Post-Independent. Johnson also was arrested in February 2008 by Rifle police after he allegedly failed to appear in court on a bad check case in Larimer County from 2001.

AURORA, Colo. (AP) — Denver Broncos tight end Daniel Graham was arrested Friday on a charge of harassing his former girlfriend, who said the player hit a bedpost after an argument about the sale of their home.
Graham was arrested on suspicion of criminal mischief and harassment and released on a personal recognizance bond, the Arapahoe County sheriff's department said. His next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 18.

Sports People: FOOTBALL; 4 Broncos Arrested
Published: July 21, 1991

It was just one of those little barroom brawls that spilled outside, but by the time the dust cleared and the broken glass was swept up early yesterday, four members of the Denver Broncos were under arrest on charges of assault and resisting arrest. One of them, cornerback-safety ALTON MONTGOMERY, had 13 stitches in his hand.

According to the police in Greeley, Colo., where the Broncos train, the brawl began when another patron struck Montgomery with a beer bottle, and three of Mongomery's teammates, running back MELVIN BRATTON and linebackers RONNIE HALIBURTON and MICHEAL BROOKS, joined the fray.

The patron who was said to have struck Montgomery was also arrested. (AP)

Darrell Reid was arrested on disorderly conduct and trespassing charges early Sunday, February 8, 2009 after refusing to leave a nightclub's parking lot.[2] According to a police report, Reid, arrived at Club Oxygen about 1:30 a.m. as an off-duty officer was helping clear the nightclub's parking lot because the club was at capacity. The officer told Reid he could not enter the nightclub, but the Colts player said he knew the owner and should be allowed to go inside. When the officer again asked Reid to leave, Reid reportedly backed up his vehicle and nearly collided with another car. The officer then told Reid to immediately leave the parking lot. But, according to the report, Reid replied, "I don't have to because I am a football player with the Indianapolis Colts." The officer replied he didn't care who Reid was and ordered him "for the last time" to leave. Reid was then arrested by the officer after he left his vehicle in park and showed no sign of pulling away from the parking lot, the report said.

Do I dare continue?

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 02:34 PM
People are forgetting how good Marshall is on the football field regardless of how stupid he acts off it. Hes easily the most talented reciever to ever wear a Broncos uniform.

Also.. how many times has Marshall been suspended by the league due to his trouble off the field?

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 02:35 PM

I suspect so but he is not 12 like I was at the time. It is time for him to move on out of DEN so all the past is not drug up overtime he FUBARS again.

Not sure why everyone is willing to give him a pass on all of his transgressions here in town.

Other than cheap talk he has done NOTHING to show he is a NEW man. and we have heard it time and time again. How many mentors has he went through and PROMISED NO MORE.

It is his agent that should be shaking him by his feet and telling him to shut the hell up and before speaking to anyone to talk to him or his lawyer first.

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I forgot about the its to cold for my lungs gambit. Bm is just so much fun to laugh at. I think I know why so many want to keep him around.

But hell for 9+ mil per year they could get Eddie Murphy to come in for half time shows. and we would not have a stiff that has a personal ID pass to the commissioners floor at the NFL headquarters/office.:salute:

It is unfortuante that we got stuck with such a dumbass for a receiver. Why oh why did we get stuck with this *******? Why couldnt we get a guy like Fitz? Instead we got stuck with Yucko the clown. Thank god its not costing us an arm and a leg during this BS.

honz
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I suspect so but he is not 12 like I was at the time. It is time for him to move on out of DEN so all the past is not drug up overtime he FUBARS again.

Not sure why everyone is willing to give him a pass on all of his transgressions here in town.

Other than cheap talk he has done NOTHING to show he is a NEW man. and we have heard it time and time again. How many mentors has he went through and PROMISED NO MORE.

It is his agent that should be shaking him by his feet and telling him to shut the hell up and before speaking to anyone to talk to him or his lawyer first.
Because he makes us a much better football team. Teams of 50 choir boys don't win Super Bowls.

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Do I dare continue?

Do they all make the same the mistakes more than once? Do they all have 13 arrests? I'll wait.

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:39 PM
People are forgetting how good Marshall is on the football field regardless of how stupid he acts off it. Hes easily the most talented reciever to ever wear a Broncos uniform.

Also.. how many times has Marshall been suspended by the league due to his trouble off the field?

You should learn to read, no one has forgot how good he is on the field.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 02:41 PM
It is unfortuante that we got stuck with such a dumbass for a receiver. Why oh why did we get stuck with this *******? Why couldnt we get a guy like Fitz? Instead we got stuck with Yucko the clown. Thank god its not costing us an arm and a leg during this BS.

Its too bad we ended up with a 4th round WR that has posted 3 straight 100+ reception years in his first 4 years in the league while on a rookie contract.

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Its too bad we ended up with a 4th round WR that has posted 3 straight 100+ reception years in his first 4 years in the league while on a rookie contract.

Woohoo, personal stats are great. I want championships. "Me" players are for losers.

Lancane
03-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Do they all make the same the mistakes more than once? Do they all have 13 arrests? I'll wait.

No North, you're missing the most valued part of our justice system, that is to be convicted of the crime...and not by public opinion either.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 02:45 PM
You should learn to read, no one has forgot how good he is on the field.

lol. damn you are uptight.

anyways whats the big reason for wanting him gone? his pety off field incidents that have led to him being suspended 1 game by the league?

Is that really the reason you want to get one of the best WR's this league will ever see?

give me a break

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM

anyways whats the big reason for wanting him gone? his pety off field incidents that have led to him being suspended 1 game by the league?

Is that really the reason you want to get one of the best WR's this league will ever see?

give me a break

Yea, slapping around women is petty. :lol:

Wow!

Northman
No North, you're missing the most valued part of our justice system, that is to be convicted of the crime...and not by public opinion either.

Yea, because 13 arrests were by accident. Damn dude you are naive. :lol:

Lonestar
Do I dare continue?

just how many repeat offenders in your examples.

Once could be an anomaly but he has had inexcess of 35 police reports filed on him throughout out his college and professional career one about 13 months ago in ATL

HE was found not guilty the same way that OJ was exonerated. That did not diminish the bruises on her arms and face. She was a stupid woman that asked for money to go away had she not done that he would have been found guilty does anyone doubt that.

there is a pattern with this guy one that can not be explained away.

I love him on the field when he plays. But unfortunately we can not keep him chained up till practice or game day and keep him away from doing something stupid in the off season. Figure out a way to do that and I have no issues in giving him a great contract.

Giving him big money without him maturing is like giving a free pass in the candy store and expect him to not get sick on all the candy he will eat.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Yea, slapping around women is petty. :lol:

Wow!

Who said he slapped around a woman?

Get your facts straight.

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
just how many repeat offenders in your examples.

He doesnt have an answer. He cant even follow the discussion correctly and you expect him to have a legit answer for you?

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Who said he slapped around a woman?

Get your facts straight.

I have my facts straight. Being arrested for multiple assaults on different women speaks volumes. Just because one girl dropped the charges while the other thought she was miss sneaky by trying to blackmail him over it doesnt mean he didnt do it.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 02:52 PM

give me a break

Actually we all expected 8 games and then were relieved when he got ONLY three games and then after promising to go to anger management classes and legal wrangling it was reduced to ONE game.

But did he learn from that?

Please do not say he did as there have been numerous incidents since.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I have my facts straight. Being arrested for multiple assaults on different women speaks volumes. Just because one girl dropped the charges while the other thought she was miss sneaky by trying to blackmail him over it doesnt mean he didnt do it.

was he convicted of domestic violence on these women?

yes or no?

Dudes telling me to learn to read.

The irony

Northman
03-27-2010, 02:54 PM
was he convicted of domestic violence on these women?

yes or no?

Dudes telling me to learn to read.

The irony

let me guess, you thought OJ was innocent too right? :lol:

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM
let me guess, you thought OJ was innocent too right? :lol:

What does OJ killing two people have to do with some bitter money hungry female accusing Marshall of hitting her?

smh

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Do I dare continue?

No, let me. You had to use how many players to fill your page with incidents? Let's just look at Brandon's alone:

October, 2004: Misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer. (Later dismissed)

April, 2005: Retail theft of $20 bed sheets at Burlington Coat Factory. (Later dismissed)

June, 2006:Reports of domestic violence, no charges ever filed.

December, 2006:Was named as a possible cause that ultimately led to the death of cornerback Darrent Williams via drive-by shooting after spraying champagne on night club patrons.

January, 2007: Incident with his own father that reportedly included gun shots. No charges were filed.

March, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, no charges filed.

March, 2007: Arrested for false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges were later dismissed after attending anger management classes.

June, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, including an “accidental cut” on his girlfriends thigh and a rock thrown at the passenger side of her friends’ car. No charges were filed.

June, 2007: Police respond to “fight-in-progress” call and find girlfriend with noticeable bruises and scratches. No Charges filed.

October, 2007: Cited for driving under the influence, BAC of 0.116.

January, 2008: Girlfriend files for temporary restraining order, was later lifted.

March, 2008: Domestic violence call, ultimately resulting in Marshall fleeing the scene. Girlfriend would then file for another temporary restraining order.

August, 2008: Suspended for three games by the NFL. After appeal, the league reduced the suspension to one game without pay plus a fine.

September, 2008: Charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery as a result of the incident the previous March.

September, 2008: A year after being cited for DUI in Denver, Marshall pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of driving while ability-impaired. He was sentenced to one year of probation.

February, 2009: Became engaged to then girlfriend Michi Nogami-Campbell, a different female than the one named in the incidents above.

March, 2009: Marshall and Nogami-Campbell seen in a physical altercation. Situation is “under review” per the NFL.

And last (for now), but certainly not least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWm1lak8NQ

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:04 PM
What does OJ killing two people have to do with some bitter money hungry female accusing Marshall of hitting her?

smh

Simple. It means that celebrities and athletes get beneficial treatment from the justice system. As i pointed out just a minute ago one women thought she would get creative and try to blackmail Brandon and thus got the case thrown out. His new fiance dropped the charges which is the first sign of "battered woman syndrome". OJ was known to beat his wife before the murder which shows a pattern of abuse. So unless your naive enough to believe that both Whatley and Brandon's new fiance are in cahoots together to try and make false charges on him than the only other answer is that Brandon has a anger/abuse problem. One of which he needed to address and pleaded out to get his last suspension reduced. Just because OJ wasnt found of guilty of murder doesnt mean he was not guilty of the crime. The evidence and testimony was screwed up getting him off on a technicality much like Whatley did when she tried to extort Brandon for money.

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:05 PM
No, let me. You had to use how many players to fill your page with incidents? Let's just look at Brandon's alone:

October, 2004: Misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer. (Later dismissed)

April, 2005: Retail theft of $20 bed sheets at Burlington Coat Factory. (Later dismissed)

December, 2006:Was named as a possible cause that ultimately led to the death of cornerback Darrent Williams via drive-by shooting after spraying champagne on night club patrons.

January, 2007: Incident with his own father that reportedly included gun shots. No charges were filed.

March, 2007: Arrested for false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges were later dismissed after attending anger management classes.

June, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, including an “accidental cut” on his girlfriends thigh and a rock thrown at the passenger side of her friends’ car. No charges were filed.

June, 2007: Police respond to “fight-in-progress” call and find girlfriend with noticeable bruises and scratches. No Charges filed.

January, 2008: Girlfriend files for temporary restraining order, was later lifted.

March, 2008: Domestic violence call, ultimately resulting in Marshall fleeing the scene. Girlfriend would then file for another temporary restraining order.

August, 2008: Suspended for three games by the NFL. After appeal, the league reduced the suspension to one game without pay plus a fine.

September, 2008: Charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery as a result of the incident the previous March.

September, 2008: A year after being cited for DUI in Denver, Marshall pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of driving while ability-impaired. He was sentenced to one year of probation.

February, 2009: Became engaged to then girlfriend Michi Nogami-Campbell, a different female than the one named in the incidents above.

March, 2009: Marshall and Nogami-Campbell seen in a physical altercation. Situation is “under review” per the NFL.

OWNED. Now please, can the lemmings go and bury their heads back in the sand.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4A756xTC0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4A756xTC0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a model citizen to me. Got to keep his pimp hand strong.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:09 PM

how many NFL suspensions did it result in?

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a model citizen to me. Got to keep his pimp hand strong.

You think BM fans dont know Marshall is an idiot off the field? Its obvious the guys a jackass but dont act like his stupidity has earned him a half year suspension or anything.

Now I know a lot of people might not agree with me on this but as long as he can keep himself on the field and produce I care less about his personel life and how stupid he acts off the field.

I do know one thing though. There isnt another player on the Broncos roster that works harder then BMarsh.

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Now I know a lot of people might not agree with me on this but as long as he can keep himself on the field and produce I care less about his personel life and how stupid he acts off the field.

And thats the million dollar question now isnt it? And thus, why Denver wont take the risk without some protection of their own. Because they know he is only one incident away from a suspension. History has proven that Marshall isnt reliable enough to stay out of trouble and thats why many of us would rather see him go than deal with his stupid bullshit. Marshall is hardly the last great receiver to ever play the game.

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 03:41 PM
how many NFL suspensions did it result in?

Not that it should matter in the big picture, but since it does to you, here goes:

If Marshall gets in trouble again, he'll be looking at an 8-16 game suspension. If Bowlen has paid him a 9-10 million dollar a year contract, we now have a good chunk of our cap taken up on a player that cannot contribute to the team. 2 more incidents, and we have a Pacman Jones situation. I don't care how talented a player is, he doesn't help a team when he's on suspension. You also can't sign other players that could help the team due to the money owed to the suspended player. For that reason, if Bmarsh gets in trouble again, it's like taking away more than one player from the roster.

For those that think he is going to sign a contract that will protect the team in the case that he screws up again, dream on. It would have already happened. Despite what some folks think, headcases don't get cured with millions of dollars. More often than not, they tend to have even more of a sense of invulnerability, leading them to act worse than before.

If Marshall had 1 or 2 incidents over his adult life, I would lean toward paying him and giving him another chance. That's not the situation though. His behavior speaks for itself. Pat Bowlen is a business man. He was burned by Travis Henry and Darrell Gardner. I highly doubt he takes the same risk with this kid.

Lonestar
03-27-2010, 03:46 PM
And thats the million dollar question now isnt it? And thus, why Denver wont take the risk without some protection of their own. Because they know he is only one incident away from a suspension. History has proven that Marshall isnt reliable enough to stay out of trouble and thats why many of us would rather see him go than deal with his stupid bullshit. Marshall is hardly the last great receiver to ever play the game.

Actually that is more like a 50 million dollar question. with upwards of 20 of it being guaranteed.

it is real easy for the average joe to say hey Pat is a billionaire he can afford it.

BUt not many here would step up and guarantee this salary with their paycheck or home.

as pointed ow it is not just about money it is roster spot and the ability to pay other players when he gets dinged by Goodell again NOT IF he gets it but when.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I remember hearing you know it alls tell me how when Marshall got caught up in his latest altercation with his wife he was going to receive a suspension. Then I remember the know it alls telling me after the domestic violence case is all said and done with that he was going to receive a half a year suspension atleast.

Bosco
03-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Well he won't disappear. Even if he goes to another team (which I really hope he doesn't) he'll be in our faces all season long, because he's a top 5 WR in the league. The dude is a SUPERSTAR. We only have 1 other on our team. I wouldn't go as far as calling the guy a superstar. He just put up his first double digit touchdown total despite 3 seasons of 100+ catches and he disappears from alot of games as well.

That said, superstar or not means little to me. If he's a problem, boot his ass out of town. The Patriots have been doing things that way for over a decade now and it earned them 3 Lombardi Trophies. Thankfully our coach brought this winning ways with him.

The Broncos SHOULD give him a new contract, and keep him in Denver for a very long time. There should be some protections if he does happen to screw up, but he deserves a new long term contract (based on his play on the field) and I pray that we're the team that gives it to him. At this point, Brandon and his agent have made it fairly clear that they aren't too interested in signing a contract with those protections in it.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Not that it should matter in the big picture, but since it does to you, here goes:

If Marshall gets in trouble again, he'll be looking at an 8-16 game suspension. If Bowlen has paid him a 9-10 million dollar a year contract, we now have a good chunk of our cap taken up on a player that cannot contribute to the team. 2 more incidents, and we have a Pacman Jones situation. I don't care how talented a player is, he doesn't help a team when he's on suspension. You also can't sign other players that could help the team due to the money owed to the suspended player. For that reason, if Bmarsh gets in trouble again, it's like taking away more than one player from the roster.

For those that think he is going to sign a contract that will protect the team in the case that he screws up again, dream on. It would have already happened. Despite what some folks think, headcases don't get cured with millions of dollars. More often than not, they tend to have even more of a sense of invulnerability, leading them to act worse than before.

If Marshall had 1 or 2 incidents over his adult life, I would lean toward paying him and giving him another chance. That's not the situation though. His behavior speaks for itself. Pat Bowlen is a business man. He was burned by Travis Henry and Darrell Gardner. I highly doubt he takes the same risk with this kid.

There is definately going to be a clause in his contract regardless of what team signs him. The reason Denver hasnt signed him is because he wants top WR money

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Actually that is more like a 50 million dollar question. with upwards of 20 of it being guaranteed.

it is real easy for the average joe to say hey Pat is a billionaire he can afford it.

BUt not many here would step up and guarantee this salary with their paycheck or home.

as pointed ow it is not just about money it is roster spot and the ability to pay other players when he gets dinged by Goodell again NOT IF he gets it but when.

I dont have nearly the kind of money pat does and ill be damned if im just going to give it away to a player who just doesnt give a shit. :coffee:

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:54 PM

There is definately going to be a clause in his contract regardless of what team signs him. I think the reason Denver hasnt signed him is because he wants top WR money not because he refuses to sign a contract that has certain contract stimulations.

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:55 PM
There is definately going to be a clause in his contract regardless of what team signs him. The reason Denver hasnt signed him is because he wants top WR money

Uh no, the reason why Denver hasnt signed him is because they dont want to pay him up front guaranteed money. Again, they want to protect themselves and Brandon wants free money which isnt going to happen there in Denver.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:55 PM
At this point, Brandon and his agent have made it fairly clear that they aren't too interested in signing a contract with those protections in it.

based off what information?

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I remember hearing you know it alls tell me how when Marshall got caught up in his latest altercation with his wife he was going to receive a suspension. Then I remember the know it alls telling me after the domestic violence case is all said and done with that he was going to receive a half a year suspension atleast.

You have to love it when people run out of intelligent responses and resort to name calling. We are simply stating our opinion, the same as you are. If you don't like what we're saying feel free to put us on ignore, or simply skip over our responses. You lose all credibility and respect when you resort to this type of reply.

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I do know one thing though. There isnt another player on the Broncos roster that works harder then BMarsh.

I would agree with this statement before Cutler left. Then his off season workout program and regular season studying schedule was above reproach. You wanted all players to work like him. This last season with all the controversy and unhappiness, being he didn't look over the playbook with any serious till the second week of the preseason I would say that work ethic has fallen off.

BM works harder than anyone one on the Broncos offense once he has the ball in his hands. that I will agree with.

As for any suspension, that's really up in the air if he falls in trouble again. But I think, if that did happen which may well not, a 4 game suspension is just as likely as an 8 game suspension.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Uh no, the reason why Denver hasnt signed him is because they dont want to pay him up front guaranteed money. Again, they want to protect themselves and Brandon wants free money which isnt going to happen there in Denver.

^^ lol

Northman
03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
^^ lol

Show me where im wrong.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I would agree with this statement before Cutler left. Then his off season workout program and regular season studying schedule was above reproach. You wanted all players to work like him. This last season with all the controversy and unhappiness, being he didn't look over the playbook with any serious till the second week of the preseason I would say that work ethic has fallen off.

BM works harder than anyone one on the Broncos offense once he has the ball in his hands. that I will agree with.

As for any suspension, that's really up in the air if he falls in trouble again. But I think, if that did happen which may well not, a 4 game suspension is just as likely as an 8 game suspension.

regardless of him throwing a hissy fit at practice and refusing to attend OTA's he still showed up in great shape while players like Champ Bailey were having to sit because they showed up to training camp out of shape.

Its amazing to think how little time Marshall had to prepare with the Broncos playbook and still end the year with 100+ receptions. It will take even great WR's time to adjust to a new scheme. It took Marshall what? 4 weeks, literally?

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 04:01 PM
regardless of him throwing a hissy fit at practice and refusing to attend OTA's he still showed up in great shape while players like Champ Bailey were having to sit because they showed up to training camp out of shape.

Its amazing to think how little time Marshall had to prepare with the Broncos playbook and still end the year with 100+ receptions. It will take even great WR's time to adjust to a new scheme. It took Marshall what? 4 weeks, literally?

No where, at any point, did I say he didn't adjust to the system well. I was responding to the fact that you said he is the hardest working player on the Broncos. Which, given the proof of his on team issues during last season, is no longer the case.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Show me where im wrong.

I never said you were wrong, Its just you were trying to tell me like I had said otherwise. Thats all.

Northman
03-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I never said you were wrong, Its just you were trying to tell me like I had said otherwise. Thats all.

You said Denver didnt offer him a higher contract but that really wasnt what Brandon's beef was with the offer that was given to him. Denver offered him a good contract but it didnt include a lot of up front guaranteed money. So really, it wasnt the yearly pay that seemed to be the problem for Marshall. It was the guaranteed portion of it. Two different things.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
No where, at any point, did I say he didn't adjust to the system well. I was responding to the fact that you said he is the hardest working player on the Broncos. Which, given the proof of his on team issues during last season, is no longer the case.

I understand Marshall's reasoning as to why he didnt want to practice with an injury during his contract year. I understand why he didnt trust the Medical staff at dove valley over previous issues with his hip. Im not going to put that against him and say he doesnt have a great work ethic because of it.

A player cant just come in with two weeks left in training camp and become that much of an impact all year because he "adjusted to the system well"

Just because he didnt attend volenteer work outs and held out last year doesnt mean he didnt work his ass off to prepare for the 2009 season, because he definately did. As it showed.

Career year in a completely different system with a mediocre QB at best.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
You said Denver didnt offer him a higher contract but that really wasnt what Brandon's beef was with the offer that was given to him. Denver offered him a good contract but it didnt include a lot of up front guaranteed money. So really, it wasnt the yearly pay that seemed to be the problem for Marshall. It was the guaranteed portion of it. Two different things.

a higher contract means "more guarenteed money"

you know that right?

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I understand Marshall's reasoning as to why he didnt want to practice with an injury during his contract year. I understand why he didnt trust the Medical staff at dove valley over previous issues with his hip. Im not going to put that against him and say he doesnt have a great work ethic because of it.

A player cant just come in with two weeks left in training camp and become that much of an impact all year because he "adjusted to the system well"

Just because he didnt attend volenteer work outs and held out last year doesnt mean he didnt work his ass off to prepare for the 2009 season, because he definately did. As it showed.

Career year in a completely different system with a mediocre QB at best.

A QB who at times stares down his first receiver in his progression until he becomes open. The first receiver being Marshall, which makes that first receiver in the progression tailor made to get a lot of passes. Hence why a guy like Jabar Gaffney comes away with the game or two like he did (with double digit receptions) when He filled that slot. And why guys like Eddie Royal further along in his check downs did not, despite being very open quite a bit last season.

Volunteer program I could care less about. You do what works for you regarding weight and cardio training in my opinion. That's not what concerns me. What concerns me is work ethic regarding studying. Playbook studying goes to the heart of victory, and that has nothing to do with medical staff. That has everything to do with his inability to see past himself and work, even when disgruntled. Those two weeks he had to sit out in the regular season could have been two weeks contributing to the team, not to his ego.

Dumervil is a great example of a player, who must be upset given he still isn't signed to the contract he's proven himself well worth (without the off field issues to deal with) but yet still isn't signed to the multi million dollar deal he's played for. How does he handle that situation? His work ethic never slipped last season. He never complained and that is the hardest working player. The guy who you know, regardless of his personal situation, will be in that film room when it counts. The guy you want other team members to look up to.

Northman
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
a higher contract means "more guarenteed money"

you know that right?

Not in every case. Some players contracts themselves are not very steep but if the up front guaranteed money is right than the contract itself isnt very much. Thats why in most cases now its the guaranteed money that is more important to the player than the actual contract itself. They know that the contract money is based off of incentives, clauses, etc. Guaranteed money is exactly that, guaranteed. But not all players are worried about that aspect of it.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Not in every case. Some players contracts themselves are not very steep but if the up front guaranteed money is right than the contract itself isnt very much. Thats why in most cases now its the guaranteed money that is more important to the player than the actual contract itself.

So.. its the upfront money that is important...... which is what you just complained about Marshall not willing to accept.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Like him or not like him, Marshall is the best player on this team. He's the most dominant, at his position... and the player that any team would be the first to mark as their biggest concern to play again.

He's the only Marque player we have. I know some wish him gone, but honestly, this team just can not keep getting better by getting rid of its best players. Can't keep doing this year in and year out. Can't keep expecting to play TOP players peanuts, and expect them to simply go-along with it. No matter how you try to justify that, it will not work.

Northman
03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
So.. its the upfront money that is important...... which is what you just complained about Marshall not willing to accept.

Exactly, because Denver doesnt want to take the risk. Now your getting it. ;)

Northman
03-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Like him or not like him, Marshall is the best player on this team. He's the most dominant, at his position... and the player that any team would be the first to mark as their biggest concern to play again.

He's the only Marque player we have. I know some wish him gone, but honestly, this team just can not keep getting better by getting rid of its best players. Can't keep doing this year in and year out. Can't keep expecting to play TOP players peanuts, and expect them to simply go-along with it. No matter how you try to justify that, it will not work.

We are rebuilding anyway, might as well make it a clean sweep and start from scratch. Get rid of the problem child and start over. McD just needs to clean out the garbage and start a new.

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 04:42 PM

This I agree with. I would like to keep BM but regardless I think it's important to understand his short comings and make a decision as to whether he's still worth it. For me I am more worried about Marshall still wanting to bust his ass for the Broncos given all that has transpired, just as I am worried about his off field conduct.

However the case for Kuper, Dumervil, and Marshall makes it very obvious that to this point in the the offseason the Broncos are still low balling some of their best players. As for the 9.5 Million dollar contract, I don't know for sure exactly how much guaranteed money was in the contract offered Marshall or the language so I can't say he turned it down with or without good reason.

For me, I think the Broncos need to give Dumervil a good contract. Last year the Broncos made a statement to Marshall that dealing with the Broncos internally was rewarded with solid contracts when we signed Weigmann to an extension. Don't do that to other players who likely have done that. There's still a lot of off season so a lot can happen, but if the Broncos FO finds Marshall's conduct and behavior untenable, okay. Just don't be completely cheap and snub all the good players that have earned something more...

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 04:52 PM
This I agree with. I would like to keep BM but regardless I think it's important to understand his short comings and make a decision as to whether he's still worth it. For me I am more worried about Marshall still wanting to bust his ass for the Broncos given all that has transpired, just as I am worried about his off field conduct.

However the case for Kuper, Dumervil, and Marshall makes it very obvious that to this point in the the offseason the Broncos are still low balling some of their best players. As for the 9.5 Million dollar contract, I don't know for sure exactly how much guaranteed money was in the contract offered Marshall or the language so I can't say he turned it down with or without good reason.

For me, I think the Broncos need to give Dumervil a good contract. Last year the Broncos made a statement to Marshall that dealing with the Broncos internally was rewarded with solid contracts when we signed Weigmann to an extension. Don't do that to other players who likely have done that. There's still a lot of off season so a lot can happen, but if the Broncos FO finds Marshall's conduct and behavior untenable, okay. Just don't be completely cheap and snub all the good players that have earned something more...

Go ahead and list all of the RFA's that have been re-signed to lucrative contracts by the other 31 teams. The CBA has more to do with this than anything else right now.

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Go ahead and list all of the RFA's that have been re-signed to lucrative contracts by the other 31 teams. The CBA has more to do with this than anything else right now.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I do understand the financial and league wide issues whirling around RFA currently. Still I feel for players such as Dumervil and Kuper you are asking for them to conduct themselves in a similar, business only fashion, when a CBA is signed and they do see UFA (when both to this point have conducted themselves in a very loyal manner).

Poet
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM

No there's not.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I do understand the financial and league wide issues whirling around RFA currently. Still I feel for players such as Dumervil and Kuper you are asking for them to conduct themselves in a similar, business only fashion, when a CBA is signed and they do see UFA (when both to this point have conducted themselves in a very loyal manner).

Kuper signed on March 23rd, so he is signed, sealed and delivered :salute:

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Kuper signed on March 23rd, so he is signed, sealed and delivered :salute:

I know... still would of liked a contract though :D

Lancane
03-27-2010, 05:28 PM

There is a worry of 2011 being a dead year, with less income and more payout and it could literally hurt the league in whole. I don't believe the owners are dumb enough to let it happen...but?

Problem is that if some players are not locked up, then they will be free to walk because it's very likely the new CBA will still let a team only franchise one player. This could be why Marshall is more then likely traded and why we may not see Dumervil get his big contract, they would not be able to franchise both and they don't really want to pay close to 20 million for two players when there is a CBA issue and character questions, so I understand that part of it all. The problem in my mind is that you can not let your team simply go to hell because the CBA and your fiscally afraid, it could come back to bite you in the backside.

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Agreed. If you listen to his interview on the FAN, he is happy with the raise, but not pleased with the overall CBA situation. Prater signed a contract, but I never got the details of how long or for how much.

dogfish
03-27-2010, 06:01 PM
It is unfortuante that we got stuck with such a dumbass for a receiver. Why oh why did we get stuck with this *******? Why couldnt we get a guy like Fitz? Instead we got stuck with Yucko the clown.

because we never had a top five pick to draft a larry fitzgerald, andre johnson or calvin johnson. . . playing for a small school was also part of it, but concern over marshall's character was one of the main reasons we were able to get such a dynamic physical specimen in the 4th round to begin with. . .

At this point, Brandon and his agent have made it fairly clear that they aren't too interested in signing a contract with those protections in it.

well that's probably going to be tough shit for them, because right now it doesn't look like anybody is overly interested in signing him to a megadeal. . .

we'll see what happens. . . i continue to believe that both he and his reps are straight delusional if they think anyone's going to sign him to fitz-type money without some sort of protection. . .

Tned
03-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Yep, when he signs with another team, and has a 22 catch game, or goes to the Pro-bowl and someone posts about it in "Other NFL Teams", then we can argue about whether or not we should be talking about Marshall, since he isn't a Bronco anymore.

Either way, this topic won't be over for a REALLY long time.

Lancane
03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
because we never had a top five pick to draft a larry fitzgerald, andre johnson or calvin johnson. . . playing for a small school was also part of it, but concern over marshall's character was one of the main reasons we were able to get such a dynamic physical specimen in the 4th round to begin with. . .

well that's probably going to be tough shit for them, because right now it doesn't look like anybody is overly interested in signing him to a megadeal. . .

we'll see what happens. . . i continue to believe that both he and his reps are straight delusional if they think anyone's going to sign him to fitz-type money without some sort of protection. . .

Well if that is what he expects, then I say trade his ass...sorry BM, but with the character issues 9 million is a solid figure, to get 14 or so a year...he better get the Pope to declare him for sainthood! I want Marshall to stay, but I also want to see him mature, so unless he is willing to have severe clauses in the contract then he is too risky for us to spend top dollar on him. Plus taking less with clauses would show that he is a team player and not a me-me esque athlete.

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Well if that is what he expects, then I say trade his ass...sorry BM, but with the character issues 9 million is a solid figure, to get 14 or so a year...he better get the Pope to declare him for sainthood! I want Marshall to stay, but I also want to see him mature, so unless he is willing to have severe clauses in the contract then he is too risky for us to spend top dollar on him. Plus taking less with clauses would show that he is a team player and not a me-me esque athlete.

Looks like you're starting to come around Lan. If he was willing to sign a contract with clauses to protect the team, I think we would have re-signed him a long time ago. Maybe the lack of interest with the rest of the league will be a wake up call to him and his agent.

Lancane
03-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Looks like you're starting to come around Lan. If he was willing to sign a contract with clauses to protect the team, I think we would have re-signed him a long time ago. Maybe the lack of interest with the rest of the league will be a wake up call to him and his agent.

We can hope, and it's really sad that the league has become such a fiscal based league. I understand the need to get paid and for up-front money...but what I don't understand is the lack of loyalty and the lack of willingness to do right by a team that really wants to keep you. So what you make five million dollars less a year then the top receivers, so what they want you to have clauses to do your best. I'm sure the Broncos would be willing to add more bonus money for good behavior and so forth. So he could still come out on top where he makes as much as Fitz and others but based on how he conducts himself, that I believe he should have no problem with and if he does...

Then I say F' him and trade him, as long as the effort was made on our parts then we as fans who like BM can ask for nothing more!

BigBroncLove
03-27-2010, 06:30 PM
We can hope, and it's really sad that the league has become such a fiscal based league. I understand the need to get paid and for up-front money...but what I don't understand is the lack of loyalty and the lack of willingness to do right by a team that really wants to keep you. So what you make five million dollars less a year then the top receivers, so what they want you to have clauses to do your best. I'm sure the Broncos would be willing to add more bonus money for good behavior and so forth. So he could still come out on top where he makes as much as Fitz and others but based on how he conducts himself, that I believe he should have no problem with and if he does...

Then I say F' him and trade him, as long as the effort was made on our parts then we as fans who like BM can ask for nothing more!

I also think that's why Fitzgerald made the money he did. Because he is that type of player you want on your team, so you're willing to pay top money to keep a player of his caliber (both talent and character) around.

Which is also why I think you saw the Cardinals pass on giving Anquan Boldin a big contract (on top of his injury issues). It's funny that the player Marshall wanted to be when he came into the league was Boldin. It seems he's emulated him in both his YAC and contract negotiation skills.

Northman
03-27-2010, 06:36 PM

You've explained perfectly my stance.

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Puffery!

"commensurate" is the key word.

He was offered the contract, without a humongous guarantee, and then he pulled his camp stunt and they pulled the offer.

Sure is a good thing it doesn't take a PHD for us to be knowledgeable fans.

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I highly doubt that this was brandon releasing a quote about his contract status. I would bet it was the agent. this is how this crap works in the off season. now had brandon done something stupid like his usual off season crap then yea I would be right with you but my guess is the dude has been put in a rubber room for the time being so that he won't hurt himself or screw all of the people who will get paid when he gets that mega contract.

Doubt that! He spent his BD last week at casinos in Vegas. Haven't yet heard if he's sprayed any 'patrons' with bottled beverages or not..... :coffee:

Nomad
03-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Puffery!

He was offered the contract, without a humongous guarantee, and then he pulled his camp stunt and they pulled the offer.

Watching a little O'Reilly are we!!:D I saw it too!!

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I haven't seen a thing that say "marshall said anything" from this article. This was someone else supposedly speaking for him. So those of ou getting bent out of shape because of what "marshall said"...... :shrug:

And here all along, I thought you understood what the "business relationship" legal entanglements all meant, rav. :tsk:

Tned
03-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Puffery!

What 'exactly' were the contract details that he was offered?

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 07:08 PM

If my ass was on the line, and I'd been in/out of hot water, and looking for a new contract, you bet your ass I wouldn't be late. Hell, MOST people with a grain of a brain would be EARLY!

Tell me it'd be for 10's of Millions, and I'd SLEEP OVERNIGHT in the tub!

When I think of BM, all I can think of is: he's a living testament to the power of dumb!

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 07:13 PM

And Big Ben R is a fun guy to be around and treats all women he meets with respect and honor.

:puke:

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Not when the NFL has it's OWN "legal system", and public opinion weighs heavily on the 'sentencing'.

rcsodak
03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
You think BM fans dont know Marshall is an idiot off the field? Its obvious the guys a jackass but dont act like his stupidity has earned him a half year suspension or anything.

That just shows your BMHomerism. I bet there's 50 other guys that would bet otherwise. :rolleyes:

Tned
03-27-2010, 07:43 PM
If my ass was on the line, and I'd been in/out of hot water, and looking for a new contract, you bet your ass I wouldn't be late. Hell, MOST people with a grain of a brain would be EARLY!

When I think of BM, all I can think if is: he's a living testament to the power of dumb!

So, I take it that you are saying that like Jr, you have never been late to work or an appointment? No dead battery, flat tire, family emergency, nothing. Never late, ever?

Or, do you just hold Brandon to a higher standard then yourself?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Puffery!

http://twitter.com/josinaanderson

F.Y.I.To be clear, Brandon Marshall did not release a statement. The aforementioned tweet came from a conversation with his representatives.

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 08:28 PM
So, I take it that you are saying that like Jr, you have never been late to work or an appointment? No dead battery, flat tire, family emergency, nothing. Never late, ever?

C'mon Tned. Unless we work for ourselves or can make our own hours, I'm sure we've all been late at least once. The difference is, we don't get paid millions to work 9 months out of the year and abide by the law. You can minimize his issues all you want, but the fact remains that he continues to put himself into bad situations over and over again. It's not any one thing that is the problem, it's the whole picture. I don't care if he catches 20 balls every game, he does no good to a team while on suspension. He's just not worth the risk vs. the cost, and as of now, at least 31 NFL owners seem to have taken the same stance.

honz
03-27-2010, 08:29 PM

When I think of BM, all I can think if is: he's a living testament to the power of dumb!

You definitely wouldn't intend to be late. Hell, I've never intended to be lat for work, but sure enough I've been late for work on more than one occasion.

honz
03-27-2010, 08:34 PM
C'mon Tned. Unless we work for ourselves or can make our own hours, I'm sure we've all been late at least once. The difference is, we don't get paid millions to work 9 months out of the year and abide by the law. You can minimize his issues all you want, but the fact remains that he continues to put himself into bad situation over and over again. It's not any one thing that is the problem, it's the whole picture. I don't care if he catches 20 balls every game, he does no good to a team while on suspension. He's just not worth the risk vs. the cost, and as of now, at least 31 NFL owners seem to have taken the same stance.
So you are in fact holding him to a higher standard then? We all know he has made mistakes, but I think the risk of re-signing a proven Marshall is a far better option than the risk of paying a bunch of money to an unproven Dez Bryant. We all know how hard it is to find a star WR in the draft.

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 08:42 PM
So you are in fact holding him to a higher standard then? We all know he has made mistakes, but I think the risk of re-signing a proven Marshall is a far better option than the risk of paying a bunch of money to an unproven Dez Bryant. We all know how hard it is to find a star WR in the draft.

Who said anything about Dez Bryant? Yes, it is hard to find a star receiver in the draft. Tell me which team has won a super bowl in the recent era with a 10-12 million dollar per year receiver on the roster. This is a QB driven league. I'd rather spend the money on Oline, Dline, and QB.

Tned
03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
C'mon Tned. Unless we work for ourselves or can make our own hours, I'm sure we've all been late at least once. The difference is, we don't get paid millions to work 9 months out of the year and abide by the law. You can minimize his issues all you want, but the fact remains that he continues to put himself into bad situations over and over again. It's not any one thing that is the problem, it's the whole picture. I don't care if he catches 20 balls every game, he does no good to a team while on suspension. He's just not worth the risk vs. the cost, and as of now, at least 31 NFL owners seem to have taken the same stance.

FWIW, '09 was the first time Marshall was paid millions, so I guess based on that if he had been 20 minutes late for a therapy session in '08, we wouldn't be talking about this. Not.

The fact is it is ridiculous how this 20 minute late things is being blown out of proportion. Plenty of players, Broncos and otherwise, have been late to practices, meetings or treatments. This is nothing more than Marshall being on many people's shit list, so therefore anything he does, from a dropped pass, to a comment to the press, to being a few minutes late, will be blown way out of proportion.

Poet
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
FWIW, '09 was the first time Marshall was paid millions, so I guess based on that if he had been 20 minutes late for a therapy session in '08, we wouldn't be talking about this. Not.

The fact is it is ridiculous how this 20 minute late things is being blown out of proportion. Plenty of players, Broncos and otherwise, have been late to practices, meetings or treatments. This is nothing more than Marshall being on many people's shit list, so therefore anything he does, from a dropped pass, to a comment to the press, to being a few minutes late, will be blown way out of proportion.

When you do shit you get less leash to do shit.

Ziggy
03-27-2010, 08:54 PM

And if he would have always been a law abiding citizen, and not disrupted pracitice by being a baby, it wouldn't be an issue. He made his own bed.

Northman
03-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Its actually nothing more than Marshall putting himself in that position to begin with. If Marshall knows he's on the hot seat he needs to do whatever is necessary to make sure that he is more accountable than usual when it comes to meetings, behavior, etc.

Northman
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
When you do shit you get less leash to do shit.

Pretty much sums it up. Other players probably get leeway because they arent career ****ups.

honz
03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Who said anything about Dez Bryant? Yes, it is hard to find a star receiver in the draft. Tell me which team has won a super bowl in the recent era with a 10-12 million dollar per year receiver on the roster. This is a QB driven league. I'd rather spend the money on Oline, Dline, and QB.
Bryant was simply an example...we would have to replace Marshall somehow unless we want to have a Raven-esque group of WR's.I don't know about 10-12 million dollar WR's but recent star WR's that have won the Super Bowl include Marques Colston, Reggie Wayne, and Plaxico Burress. And if you go back a little further you have Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, and even our own Rod Smith.

honz
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Its actually nothing more than Marshall putting himself in that position to begin with. If Marshall knows he's on the hot seat he needs to do whatever is necessary to make sure that he is more accountable than usual when it comes to meetings, behavior, etc.

This happened to me recently...

I somehow overslept and was woken up by my boss asking where I was...he wasn't really mad at me because I am usually a very dependable employee, but I could tell he wasn't exactly happy.

For the next several days I made it a point to be on time or a few minutes early to make up for being late that one time, but sure enough about a week later I flipped the wrong switch on my alarm before I went to sleep so my alarm didn't go off and I ended up being late again.

Shit happens.

Northman
03-27-2010, 09:10 PM
This happened to me recently...

I somehow overslept and was woken up by my boss asking where I was...he wasn't really mad at me because I am usually a very dependable employee, but I could tell he wasn't exactly happy.

For the next several days I made it a point to be on time or a few minutes early to make up for being late that one time, but sure enough about a week later I flipped the wrong switch on my alarm before I went to sleep so my alarm didn't go off and I ended up being late again.

Shit happens.

Do you have 13 arrests which include assault charges to your credit? Im not sure what kind of job you have but do you kick the computer monitor across the room when your not happy with your job? I think not. This is more than just being late. Brandon has a history with problems and thus the leash is shorter with him. Pretty simple logic my man.

Bosco
03-27-2010, 09:25 PM

I agree. I just hope we can move him and get decent compensation for him.

dogfish
03-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Do you have 13 arrests which include assault charges to your credit? Im not sure what kind of job you have but do you kick the computer monitor across the room when your not happy with your job? I think not. This is more than just being late. Brandon has a history with problems and thus the leash is shorter with him. Pretty simple logic my man.

i have to agree with this. . . if brandon's in the doghouse with a chunk of the fan base, he pretty much earned it with his pattern of behavior over the past few years. . .

a great contrast is the recent DJ williams situation. . . he decided to skip our offseason workout program to stay in miami and train, despite being under contract unlike all the RFAs who haven't signed their tenders yet. . . and it barely raised a comment-- i thought people would bitch themselves silly over it in typical fan over-reaction behavior, but it got all of one thread with about half a dozen replies and was promptly forgotten. . . probably because DJ is a consummate team player, a guy who has basically watched his own development be potentially stunted by playing a new position every damn year-- a guy who switched to SAM and didn't say a word about it (at least until after he was moved again) despite probably knowing that SAMs don't put up the stats that WILLs do and it was likely to hurt his value. . .

if brandon had stayed out of trouble and pulled stupid shenanigans like the punting the ball in TC episode, i really dount anyone-- starting with JMFMCD, most likely-- would have given him much grief for showing up 20 minutes late for therapy one time. . . it wasn't an isolated incident-- very much the contrary. . .

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
You have to love it when people run out of intelligent responses and resort to name calling. We are simply stating our opinion, the same as you are. If you don't like what we're saying feel free to put us on ignore, or simply skip over our responses. You lose all credibility and respect when you resort to this type of reply.

what name calling? me calling out the know it alls that thought they knew Brandon Marshalls situation last year?

I bet you were one of the people who thought Brandon Marshall was going to be suspended for multiple games by the league last year.

I hear you out on the stating your opinion bs. But if youre wrong expect to be called out on it, and dont get so sensitive when you do get called out.

Oh ya. Seattle drafted Aaron Curry last year, not Alex Mack.

EMB6903
03-27-2010, 10:03 PM

Well seeing as there have really only been 3 WR's in NFL history to average over 10 mil per year its pretty pointless to ask a question like that.

Northman
03-27-2010, 10:40 PM
i have to agree with this. . . if brandon's in the doghouse with a chunk of the fan base, he pretty much earned it with his pattern of behavior over the past few years. . .

a great contrast is the recent DJ williams situation. . . he decided to skip our offseason workout program to stay in miami and train, despite being under contract unlike all the RFAs who haven't signed their tenders yet. . . and it barely raised a comment-- i thought people would bitch themselves silly over it in typical fan over-reaction behavior, but it got all of one thread with about half a dozen replies and was promptly forgotten. . . probably because DJ is a consummate team player, a guy who has basically watched his own development be potentially stunted by playing a new position every damn year-- a guy who switched to SAM and didn't say a word about it (at least until after he was moved again) despite probably knowing that SAMs don't put up the stats that WILLs do and it was likely to hurt his value. . .

if brandon had stayed out of trouble and pulled stupid shenanigans like the punting the ball in TC episode, i really dount anyone-- starting with JMFMCD, most likely-- would have given him much grief for showing up 20 minutes late for therapy one time. . . it wasn't an isolated incident-- very much the contrary. . .

Outstanding post and 100% on the money.

Tned
03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Fandom is a fickle thing...

Northman
03-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Fandom is a fickle thing...

How so?

arapaho2
03-27-2010, 11:40 PM
But everyone knows exactly where he stands. He wants a new contract--we get it. What's the point in releasing a statement right now? Does he want us to weep for him and his $3 million salary? He's just trying to revive a stagnant trade market and instead it comes across as immature and foolish.

whats the point in our coach publicaly singing a player praises...only to trade, or release them soon after? any differant?

sakic_avs
03-28-2010, 12:36 AM
whats the point in our coach publicaly singing a player praises...only to trade, or release them soon after? any differant?

The differences are:

McDaniels was forced into a media setting for his job. He is required to meet with them on a regular basis, especially at the league meetings and OTAs.

Marshall, and his crack team of PR agents, offered up a bonehead statement when nothing should have been said.

I do have to laugh at the idiots that are saying Brandon didn't say what he said, because he said it through a PR agency. Are you really stupid enough to believe that a company you hire to make statements for you isn't your words? When you make the decision to hire a PR staff, they speak for you. Period. Trying to play that off as "he didn't actually say it," is naive and idiotic.

Ziggy
03-28-2010, 01:23 AM
what name calling? me calling out the know it alls that thought they knew Brandon Marshalls situation last year?

I bet you were one of the people who thought Brandon Marshall was going to be suspended for multiple games by the league last year.

I hear you out on the stating your opinion bs. But if youre wrong expect to be called out on it, and dont get so sensitive when you do get called out.

Oh ya. Seattle drafted Aaron Curry last year, not Alex Mack.

Yes, the name calling of 'know it all'. If we don't agree with you we're know it alls? Ironic isn't it? And yes, Aaron Curry was drafted by Seattle last season, not Alex Mack. I admitted my mistake. Want a cookie?

Nomad
03-28-2010, 07:52 AM
. Want a cookie?

I like oatmeal raisin and chocalate chip!!:)

EMB6903
03-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Yes, the name calling of 'know it all'. If we don't agree with you we're know it alls? Ironic isn't it? And yes, Aaron Curry was drafted by Seattle last season, not Alex Mack. I admitted my mistake. Want a cookie?

Its just funny how so many people think they know what Goodell is going to do with Brandon Marshall if he gets into trouble again. A lot of these people probably thought Marshall was going to be suspended by the league more then 1 game in 2008, the same ones thought he would be convicted of domestic violence and suspended half a season this past year.

Woohoo, personal stats are great. I want championships. "Me" players are for losers.

Production like that doesnt prevent you from winning championships.

Does anybody else get sick of "those guys" who everytime somebody brings up individual stats they run to the superbowl talk?

Ravage!!!
03-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I can name a lot of 'me' players that have won championships. Team success comes from individual play. You have to have individual players, making good plays, to win. Thats not team oriented? Playing hard on the field, and making the catches that are thrown at you, IS team oriented. Has anyone EVER heard talk of Marshall being in the huddle griping/complaining/bitching to get the ball (ala Irvin or others)?

This whole 'faking injury' thing, and late for trainer has been absolutely so BLOWN out of proportion, simply to justify trading away the most dynamic player this team has seen at WR (ever) in a Broncos uniform.

Damn right he wants his fair pay. Just as every NFL player in the NFL does. Just as our wonderful "TEAM oriented" QB pointed out in a statement from his OWN mouth "its every players dream to got UFA." I guess he's only 'team oriented' and doesn't want his MONEY?

DAWKINS... was let go from Philly because he wouldn't sign a contract that was cheap enough for Philly to keep. He's a ring-o-famer in Philly, yet he went because of MONEY.

CHAMP BAILEY.. the reason we have Champ Bailey, is because he was holding out for MORE MONEY in Washington.

Yes... Marshall wants his money. Damn right he does. Who doesn't?

Northman
03-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I can name a lot of 'me' players that have won championships. Team success comes from individual play. You have to have individual players, making good plays, to win. Thats not team oriented? Playing hard on the field, and making the catches that are thrown at you, IS team oriented. Has anyone EVER heard talk of Marshall being in the huddle griping/complaining/bitching to get the ball (ala Irvin or others)?

This whole 'faking injury' thing, and late for trainer has been absolutely so BLOWN out of proportion, simply to justify trading away the most dynamic player this team has seen at WR (ever) in a Broncos uniform.

Damn right he wants his fair pay. Just as every NFL player in the NFL does. Just as our wonderful "TEAM oriented" QB pointed out in a statement from his OWN mouth "its every players dream to got UFA." I guess he's only 'team oriented' and doesn't want his MONEY?

DAWKINS... was let go from Philly because he wouldn't sign a contract that was cheap enough for Philly to keep. He's a ring-o-famer in Philly, yet he went because of MONEY.

CHAMP BAILEY.. the reason we have Champ Bailey, is because he was holding out for MORE MONEY in Washington.

Yes... Marshall wants his money. Damn right he does. Who doesn't?

Does Dawkins and Bailey have a laundry list of arrests? Ill wait....

Lonestar
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I find it hard to feel sorry for him or any other pampered athlete or star that holds out for that extra bit of money.

If the stories are true and I have not seen any rebutals from the BM camp/side h could be making 9.5 already instead of 2.2 he made last year.

The guy just lost 7 milion up front. And looks to lose another 7 plus this year. So far his "agent" or ego has cost him 14 million+ dollars.

If they get another CBA in place the worst/best thing that happenes is he is franchise and he still does not get his GUARAnteed money.

Just how long will it take for him to "get it" and sign with someone. Better to have money upfront than to hold out for top dollar and ne ver get it. So far it looks like he has flushed atleast 14 mil plus the difference of franchise money V top dollar money.
I'm guessing that is say 3 mil so he is going on close to 17-20 million.

Hmmmm does not take a brain surgeon to figure out he is losing money every day.

He has not figured out that his agent is not looking out for anyones interest but his own %.

I can't justify anyone stupid enuff to flush close to 20 milion down the toilet being on MY team.

Donning my asbestos suit awaiting the flames. :salute:

Lonestar
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Let me add he would have to sign a contract for 4 years today at 11 milion just to break even on what he lost just last year.

And we are not seeing any movement here are we.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14771546

Before proceeding to the weekly Brandon Marshall market update, let's try to clear up this mysterious $9.5 million-a-year contract offer from the Broncos that suddenly became part of the conversation eight months after it allegedly occurred.

Marshall's representatives told me last week that he is continuing to work out this offseason and is hopeful that wherever he lands will be the right place.

"If it were true that a contract extension commensurate with Marshall's skills was actually offered," one of them said, "there would be no question as to what team Marshall would be staying with at this time."

So, for the record, the recent suggestion that Marshall turned down an offer competitive with those of the NFL's best receivers because he wanted out of Denver is vigorously disputed by his people.

I don't know anything about the specifics of the Broncos' offer, but I do know that NFL contracts are the most difficult in sports to value because of all the nonguaranteed money that never gets paid, not to mention incentive clauses, deferrals and backloading.

From a public-relations standpoint, it makes sense for the Broncos to put the onus on Marshall, just as they put it on Jay Cutler a year ago. After all, people inside and outside the organization see a talent drain on the offensive side of the ball and some of them wonder what's going on.

The fact remains that the problems between the organization and a number of Mike Shanahan's players coincided with coach Josh McDaniels' arrival. McDaniels has every right to make these moves. He's in charge. But he needs to own them.

While it's possible that Marshall's personal baggage has suppressed the market for him in restricted free agency, there's basically been no action on hundreds of players in the same boat. In Marshall's case, no one wants to give up a first- round draft pick in compensation when they believe that after April 15 the price will drop.

McDaniels may have felt that benching Marshall for the last game of the season was a matter of principle, but it also damaged his leverage. It was like announcing to the league he didn't want Marshall on his team.

So let's assume no one signs Marshall to an offer sheet that requires a first-round draft pick as compensation. Just because Seattle flew him in for a visit and let him ride in a seaplane doesn't mean the Seahawks are the only team with an interest. Look up and down NFL rosters and you'll find any number of others that could be interested if the price is right. For example:

• New York Jets. The New York Post reported that quarterback Mark Sanchez called Marshall last week to wish him a happy birthday. With Braylon Edwards on a one-year tender and Jerricho Cotchery well-suited to the slot, Marshall could give Sanchez a big-time weapon on the outside. The Jets have draft picks at the bottom of the first, second and fourth rounds. The New York Post said the Broncos are no longer demanding a first-round pick for Marshall.

• Tampa Bay. Having lost Antonio Bryant in free agency, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. is about the Bucs' only remaining receiving weapon. The Bucs aren't giving up the third overall draft pick by writing an offer sheet, but they have two second-round picks, a third and a fourth to play with.

• Jacksonville. Having cut veteran Torry Holt, the Jags are left with Mike Sims-Walker and that's about it. Plus, they need to sell tickets, which Marshall, as a star with roots in the state, could help them do. They have third- and fourth-round picks — one of each was the price Baltimore paid for Anquan Boldin — but no second.

• Carolina. Not the Panthers' top priority, but can you imagine Marshall on one side, replacing aging Muhsin Muhammad, and Steve Smith on the other?

• Washington. Yes, Shanahan played coy at the owners' meetings, suggesting he might be interested. And yes, Marshall would fit in nicely opposite Santana Moss. And no, McDaniels is not letting this happen.

• Chicago. Ditto and ditto.

Seattle actually doesn't make as much sense as some of these because Marshall and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are both possession receivers. But it does have that seaplane.

By showing his hand at the end of last season, McDaniels put himself in a tough bargaining position. But assuming no one springs for an offer sheet, he should be able to get several teams to return his calls if he's willing to accept a more modest return.

Ravage!!!
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Does Dawkins and Bailey have a laundry list of arrests? Ill wait....

Thats not the point. Some are complaining that Marshall is looking to get paid. That he is somehow "selfish" because he wants a long-term contract. He's no different than every other player in the NFL, even some of the best we have on our very team.

Bailey wouldn't sign with Washington, and was holding out for the most lucrative contract for a CB in NFL history. Doesn't exactly sound like a "TEAM player." Going by the words around her, Marshall should be "about the TEAM" and simply accept inferior contracts because of his off-field problems. When the reality is, he's looking to get FAIR pay for his on-field production. Just as EVERY FOOTBALL player in the NFL.

Dawkins. Spent his entire NFL career and was probably the most beloved Eagle on the team. Didn't just 'sign' a contract to stay in Philly. He didn't take a pay-cut and be the "TEAM player" by taking less purely to stay with Denver. Just as people think Marshall should do with Denver. He should be 'happy' to take the contract, because its the one Denver is offering, and after all, he's had his off-field problems. Hah.

Marshall would be STUPID to sign a contract with a team for a contract with no up-front money. Moronic. For those that are calling him stupid, are the very ones thta would absolutely look like the business FOOLS for signing that deal. Everyone knows, that every owner would absolutely LOVE to sign every player to no guaranteed money, and purely pay them on a 'yearly' contract. Then, when they get hurt, you simply dump their ass.

NFL is the only sport that doesn't guarantee contracts. THe players are smart for not accepting such crap.

Doesn't have to do with Bailey's past or Dawkins past. The point is, despite them being icons in their city, despite them being the "Good guys"... they STILL held out for more MONEY. Nothing different than what Marshall is doing. Difference is, Marshall has been MORE dominant at HIS position, and at such a young age. He's been paid peanuts compared to anyone else NEAR his abilities and production, and yet some here think he should look at his off-field dilmmas and simply accept less money?? Horse crap!!!

He risked his ENTIRE career by playing in '08 after injury... only to find out that he was misdiagnosed by the team's doctors... yet wasn't rewarded. He was told he had to prove himself again. He only produced yet another 100+ catch/pro-bowl season. Yet, not good enough.

Some wiz-ards on the board want to believe that players should just purely be happy with the BS contract purely because of the money it involves. Again, thats horse crap. Some geniuses try to say that "my job doesn't guarantee money"...blah blah blah..... But they aren't famous. They aren't making the company MILLIONS purely by being on the field and selling jerseys. These athletes aren't some drone sitting behind a desk or digging a ditch. They aren't the catalyst that makes the company (NFL in this case) BILLIONS of dollars. There is absolutely NO comparison to professional sports contracts and the deal for some average plumber.

If you want elite athletes on the Broncos, you better be ready and willing to PAY elite money. Marshall is an ELITE athlete in the NFL.

Every NFL player wants their pay to be on scale with the others at their positions, given the same production. That 1-yr contract offered with NO money up front, is crap offer. ITs a crap offer and thats why the agent (a lawyer that actually knows what NFL contracts are about) probably laughed at the deal. That was a contract that basically told Marshall "hey, we don't really want you here long term."

Gripe, complain, cry, scream from the top of your steeple about how Marshall has been a bad boy all you want. If it makes you feel better to have the Rudy's of the world on the team, and if you can brag to your friends "we may not win, but we have such bible-thumping good dudes on the team"..... then great. Thats your right.

Some want to try and tell me that Marshall hasn't got us to any playoff games, or to the Super Bowl. We can " win without him."

For those that continue to point out that they would rather have the Bailey's and the Dawkins on the team (players that held out for MORE money, but are great guys nonetheless).. how many rings do THEY own between them? Goes both ways.

I understand that in order to have great talent, you have to pay the dollars. I want the talent on the field.

Ravage!!!
03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14771546

By showing his hand at the end of last season, McDaniels put himself in a tough bargaining position. But assuming no one springs for an offer sheet, he should be able to get several teams to return his calls if he's willing to accept a more modest return.

Wait a minute, Carol. I thought the people on this board said that the benching would have NOTHING to do with negotiations?? I thought it was a fact that no one would look at that, nor would it cause such a problem? :confused:

Northman
03-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Thats not the point. Some are complaining that Marshall is looking to get paid. That he is somehow "selfish" because he wants a long-term contract. He's no different than every other player in the NFL, even some of the best we have on our very team.

Bailey wouldn't sign with Washington, and was holding out for the most lucrative contract for a CB in NFL history. Doesn't exactly sound like a "TEAM player." Going by the words around her, Marshall should be "about the TEAM" and simply accept inferior contracts because of his off-field problems. When the reality is, he's looking to get FAIR pay for his on-field production. Just as EVERY FOOTBALL player in the NFL.

Dawkins. Spent his entire NFL career and was probably the most beloved Eagle on the team. Didn't just 'sign' a contract to stay in Philly. He didn't take a pay-cut and be the "TEAM player" by taking less purely to stay with Denver. Just as people think Marshall should do with Denver. He should be 'happy' to take the contract, because its the one Denver is offering, and after all, he's had his off-field problems. Hah.

Marshall would be STUPID to sign a contract with a team for a contract with no up-front money. Moronic. For those that are calling him stupid, are the very ones thta would absolutely look like the business FOOLS for signing that deal. Everyone knows, that every owner would absolutely LOVE to sign every player to no guaranteed money, and purely pay them on a 'yearly' contract. Then, when they get hurt, you simply dump their ass.

NFL is the only sport that doesn't guarantee contracts. THe players are smart for not accepting such crap.

Doesn't have to do with Bailey's past or Dawkins past. The point is, despite them being icons in their city, despite them being the "Good guys"... they STILL held out for more MONEY. Nothing different than what Marshall is doing. Difference is, Marshall has been MORE dominant at HIS position, and at such a young age. He's been paid peanuts compared to anyone else NEAR his abilities and production, and yet some here think he should look at his off-field dilmmas and simply accept less money?? Horse crap!!!

He risked his ENTIRE career by playing in '08 after injury... only to find out that he was misdiagnosed by the team's doctors... yet wasn't rewarded. He was told he had to prove himself again. He only produced yet another 100+ catch/pro-bowl season. Yet, not good enough.

Some wiz-ards on the board want to believe that players should just purely be happy with the BS contract purely because of the money it involves. Again, thats horse crap. Some geniuses try to say that "my job doesn't guarantee money"...blah blah blah..... But they aren't famous. They aren't making the company MILLIONS purely by being on the field and selling jerseys. These athletes aren't some drone sitting behind a desk or digging a ditch. They aren't the catalyst that makes the company (NFL in this case) BILLIONS of dollars. There is absolutely NO comparison to professional sports contracts and the deal for some average plumber.

If you want elite athletes on the Broncos, you better be ready and willing to PAY elite money. Marshall is an ELITE athlete in the NFL.

Every NFL player wants their pay to be on scale with the others at their positions, given the same production. That 1-yr contract offered with NO money up front, is crap offer. ITs a crap offer and thats why the agent (a lawyer that actually knows what NFL contracts are about) probably laughed at the deal. That was a contract that basically told Marshall "hey, we don't really want you here long term."

Gripe, complain, cry, scream from the top of your steeple about how Marshall has been a bad boy all you want. If it makes you feel better to have the Rudy's of the world on the team, and if you can brag to your friends "we may not win, but we have such bible-thumping good dudes on the team"..... then great. Thats your right.

Some want to try and tell me that Marshall hasn't got us to any playoff games, or to the Super Bowl. We can " win without him."

For those that continue to point out that they would rather have the Bailey's and the Dawkins on the team (players that held out for MORE money, but are great guys nonetheless).. how many rings do THEY own between them? Goes both ways.

I understand that in order to have great talent, you have to pay the dollars. I want the talent on the field.

Denver would be glad to pay elite players. Just so as long as they:

1) Buy into the system and are a team oriented guy.

2) Dont have a lot of baggage that may cause them to lose time on the field.

What your failing to grasp here Rav is that just because YOU dont think the off the field stuff is important the NFL does and thats the bottom line here. There are plenty of elite players in this league that dont behave like Brandon does. Again, this isnt rocket science homie. If Brandon would learn how to be "great" off the field he would already be getting paid big bucks. There is only ONE guy to blame for why he isnt getting paid. Brandon ******* Marshall.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Wait a minute, Carol. I thought the people on this board said that the benching would have NOTHING to do with negotiations?? I thought it was a fact that no one would look at that, nor would it cause such a problem? :confused:

Keep in mind that what you are referring to is the writer's opinion, just like those posting here have their own opinions.

Lonestar
03-28-2010, 01:21 PM

What your failing to grasp here Rav is that just because YOU dont think the off the field stuff is important the NFL does and thats the bottom line here. There are plenty of elite players in this league that dont behave like Brandon does. Again, this isnt rocket science homie. If Brandon would learn how to be "great" off the field he would already be getting paid big bucks. There is only ONE guy to blame for why he isnt getting paid. Brandon ******* Marshall.

While I agree with almost everything you said here. I'm not totally convinced that they are looking to pay mega stars before they establish the TEAM mentality in DEN.

Call me dumb but I see them wanting great players that are willing to put the team first and sit on their own ego for the team.

NOw can you be a great player and be a team player.

I saw many of the them on the SB teams. all role players that did not let their egos run amuck, even the HOF guys like John were willing to allow the others to carry the load because they realized that it was a TEAM and Past SB more or less proved that out.

Josh brought in a lot of players that we into team first. and those wise old VEts like Champ and DJ were comfortable enough with them selves that they got it also.

ONly the pampered cry babies had an issue with the changing of the guard. I firmly believe that the class of 06 was promised a pay day by mike if they got through the season and when he was fired those private promises or strong hints evaporated into thin air.

As I said above BM has already cost himself 7+ million in GUARATNTEED money as it would have been in the bank drawing intreset if he was smart enough to invest wisely instead of blowing it all.

But NO he wanted up front money that he felt he was entitled to, just because he was a "PRO BLOW" player. Sometimes EGOS are a dangerous thing. If he was wise he could very well have invested in an insurance policy to guarantee income should he be hurt, a career ending injury, as we all know that getting placed on IR continues the money for that year. I'll even bet that it could have been negotiated into the contract for the Broncos to pick up the cost.

BUT NO folks it was nothing but EGO that caused him to walk away from the 9.5 last year in TC.

Northman
03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
While I agree with almost everything you said here. I'm not totally convinced that they are looking to pay mega stars before they establish the TEAM mentality in DEN.

Call me dumb but I see them wanting great players that are willing to put the team first and sit on their own ego for the team.

NOw can you be a great player and be a team player.

I saw many of the them on the SB teams. all role players that did not let their egos run amuck, even the HOF guys like John were willing to allow the others to carry the load because they realized that it was a TEAM and Past SB more or less proved that out.

Josh brought in a lot of players that we into team first. and those wise old VEts like Champ and DJ were comfortable enough with them selves that they got it also.

ONly the pampered cry babies had an issue with the changing of the guard. I firmly believe that the class of 06 was promised a pay day by mike if they got through the season and when he was fired those private promises or strong hints evaporated into thin air.

As I said above BM has already cost himself 7+ million in GUARATNTEED money as it would have been in the bank drawing intreset if he was smart enough to invest wisely instead of blowing it all.

But NO he wanted up front money that he felt he was entitled to, just because he was a "PRO BLOW" player. Sometimes EGOS are a dangerous thing. If he was wise he could very well have invested in an insurance policy to guarantee income should he be hurt, a career ending injury, as we all know that getting placed on IR continues the money for that year. I'll even bet that it could have been negotiated into the contract for the Broncos to pick up the cost.

BUT NO folks it was nothing but EGO that caused him to walk away from the 9.5 last year in TC.

Well, my point with that is that they are already paying pretty good money to guys like Champ and Dawkins who are already "team" oriented. I have no doubt that if Brandon were to act like a reasonable human being they would pay him his worth. Tom Brady is a team guy but he gets paid like an elite player. If players have proven their worth on the field and with the team itself i dont think McD and Bowlen will hold back paying them top dollar.

Lonestar
03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, my point with that is that they are already paying pretty good money to guys like Champ and Dawkins who are already "team" oriented. I have no doubt that if Brandon were to act like a reasonable human being they would pay him his worth. Tom Brady is a team guy but he gets paid like an elite player. If players have proven their worth on the field and with the team itself i dont think McD and Bowlen will hold back paying them top dollar.

Well that is logical I can not disagree.

BUt I just posted this in another thread. BM would have received about $95,000.00 per catch last year had the guy sucked it up and signed a contract. does anyone else think this is absurb, like I do.

Ravage!!!
03-28-2010, 05:46 PM

No... I'm grasping your point. But as people keep posting about the 'alleged' 9.5 million offer, people expect a player to simply accept inferior offers purely based on the number they see. Its absurd. Just as its absurd for anyone to think that Marshall should accept less money than what he's worth, PURELY based on his off-field troubles in the past.

If the "great" guys and players can hold out for big money.... then they are proving to be just as "less" team oriented than others that are doing the same. I guess Champ wasn't buying into the system with his former team, I guess Dawkins wasn't buying into the system of his former team.

THis "buy into the system" ... is crap. There isn't reason to "buy into the system" when it hasn't shown an ounce of success. How about this.. BUILD trust and let the players buy into YOU. Its very easy for people to "buy into the system" when they are being paid fairly.

Ask all the players from around the NFL that have gone to Super Bowls (win or lose), and the next year they want to big money and end up going to other teams. I guess they weren't "buying into the system" that took them to the Championship. That doesn't even make sense ... 'buy into the system.'

Poet
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
No... I'm grasping your point. But as people keep posting about the 'alleged' 9.5 million offer, people expect a player to simply accept inferior offers purely based on the number they see. Its absurd. Just as its absurd for anyone to think that Marshall should accept less money than what he's worth, PURELY based on his off-field troubles in the past.

The problem is that the idiot is accepting less money right now. By the time this issue has been resolved he will have missed two years of big money. Then take the back end of his contract (and if he gets big money) and disregard it because it's rare for players to actually get to that last year where you normally find that MONSTER number (think being cut, extensions, trade and a new contract, etc etc etc).

He SHOULD accept an incentive laden deal that will pay him big bucks if he performs and stays out of trouble. He SHOULD do this because the only reason why he wasn't paid big bucks earlier is because of HIM.

It's called personal accountability. He's upset that his actions have consequences and he's trying his hardest to eschew said consequences.

If the "great" guys and players can hold out for big money.... then they are proving to be just as "less" team oriented than others that are doing the same. I guess Champ wasn't buying into the system with his former team, I guess Dawkins wasn't buying into the system of his former team.

Dawkins and Bailey are known as leaders. They're both headed towards the HOF. They never batted down balls or missed games because of a phantom injury. They never quit practice because 'cold air makes it hard to breath'.

I have memories of Dawkins playing through an injured neck. I remember when Bailey lined up against TO on a bum ankle.

Didn't Dawkins and Bailey go to McDaniels to talk to him about being tough on the guys who didn't care (i.e. guys like Marshall)?

Dawkins wanted to be in Philly, they opted to go younger. Bailey was traded, but I don't think that his want for dollars could have been that big of a detriment because look how much money the Redskins gave Portis.

THis "buy into the system" ... is crap. There isn't reason to "buy into the system" when it hasn't shown an ounce of success. How about this.. BUILD trust and let the players buy into YOU. Its very easy for people to "buy into the system" when they are being paid fairly.

And one of the reasons it hasn't had success is because of bums like Marshall and Scheffler.

Marshall opted to not let McDaniels build trust with him and vice versa. He was too concerned with not being paid and couldn't get it around his very simple and primitive mind that no one was going to pay him as much as he wanted because of the shit that he did. A year later and the SAME shit is still going on.

He is being paid fairly OVERALL. As a player he's definiely a top ten WR and maybe even a top five. On the field, that is. As a player on a TEAM he isn't.

The Ravens, the team that traded for TERRELL OWENS, opted to not trade for Marshall and went for a LESSER talent and player in Boldin. Boldin, the same guy who was upset and not happy when his team made the SUPERBOWL. The same guy who had contract issues. They traded for that guy over Marshall.

We all know why, and it isn't because Baltimore is shy about seeking out talent.

Ask all the players from around the NFL that have gone to Super Bowls (win or lose), and the next year they want to big money and end up going to other teams. I guess they weren't "buying into the system" that took them to the Championship. That doesn't even make sense ... 'buy into the system.'
They make business decisions. Most of them don't pull the shit that Marshall does.

rcsodak
03-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Exactly how many times does one have to "be late" before they show a "pattern"?

If a person is constantly stepping in shit, tned, wouldn't you surmise he has a problem with seeing where he's going?

BM has stepped in so much shit, he might as well use turds as boots!

Listen, go back in time and look how much I've backed his dumb ass. I've always been one of the fans that thought he'd mature....get his head on straight....realize his worth/importance, and step up and lead.
But I've grown cold to his silly, immature theatrics. He's a disruption to the team....and becoming one with the league.

NOBODY wants to step forward as yet, and offer him the moon, as he thinks he's worth. Ever ask yourself "WHY?"? I'll tell you, tned, it's NOT because of anything McD has done. This trainwreck started after he was drafted. He's been warned. He's been counseled. He's been benched. He's been suspended. And this was all before he was a free agent, so money can't be used every time as an excuse!

He's "Baby TO"!

And to date, I've NEVER heard him publicly admonish that label. That's disconcerting in itself.

rcsodak
03-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Since when do you put such importance on a writer's opinion?

The entire NFL has ALL of BM's 4yrs to look at. NOT just wk 17 of 2009.