PDA

View Full Version : Pro Scout Tom Mario Joins Me For MHR Radio -- TONIGHT

TheSportsGuru
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
A great show lined up for you tonight on MHR RADIO. With the draft just 2 and a half weeks away it's getting to be crunch time, and who better to break it down with than scouting legend Tom Marino, who now is Scout.com's NFL Expert. He's going to join us for the entire hour to break down the draft, the Broncos, and answer your questions.

Here is just a bit of background on Marino, who has over 30 years of experience in scouting in Professional football --

Marino is a member of the Ourlads.com Scout Hall of Fame with his work as an NFL Scout, and he has an impressive list of credentials.

St Louis Rams (NFL)
Regional/National Talent Scout
June, 2000 - June, 2006

· Rams primary post season workout scout.
· Refined grading system with the implementation of a specific category for non-football athletes
· Highest ranked scout over the six year period in draft-make %.

New Orleans Saints (NFL)
1986 - June 2000

· Highest ranked scout evaluating college prospects in both percentage and prospects viewed from 1987 through the 2000 player draft.
· Appointed by Jim Finks to become the architect of Saints 1987 replacement team (signed 49 free agents within a three day period).

New York Giants (NFL)
April, 1977 - June, 1982

Dallas Cowboys (NFL)
Scouting / WFL consultant
November, 1975 - May 1976

Needless to say, Marino is the perfect guest for this time of year and I am hoping you guys come with your questions ready. If you can't make the show, feel free to e-mail them to me - milehighreport@gmail.com - and I will make sure to ask them.

WARHORSE
04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Awesome. Thanks

Ziggy
04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info, but I'll be working. Any chance you could post some of the highlights of the show on a thread tomorrow?

MOtorboat
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info, but I'll be working. Any chance you could post some of the highlights of the show on a thread tomorrow?

Ziggy, I haven't looked there in a while, but mhr should have archived shows...

http://feeds.feedburner.com/mhr_radio

Ziggy
04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Just listened to the podcast from last nights show. BTW thanks for the link missouribronc. Here are a few of the highlights I picked out from Tom Marino's comments:

1. He rates Chris Williams as the #1 LT prospect in this draft, compares him to Walter Jones, and thinks he would be perfect for the Broncos.

2. No dominant safeties in this draft. Kenny Phillips is a good player, but not great.

3. Rates Earl Bennet as the #17 WR in this draft.

4. Rates Desean Jackson as the 8th best WR in the draft and can't justify a team speniding a first round pick on him.

5. Thinks Boss Bailey will really help the Broncos this year.

6. Unsure about Niko as a Mike LB. Didn't sound like he wanted to commit to him either succeeding or failing in that position.

7. On 2nd tier DT possibilities- Balmer-no pass rush skills but still rated as the #3 DT Marcus Harrison-could be the surprise of second tier. Dre Moore- no pass rushing skills, good run stopper Mario Presley-unimpressive Trevor Law- "try hard guy", can be good player in NFL, not a great one sleeper-Steven Dykes from West Virginia

8. Loves Cutler, had him rated as the top QB in his class (06). Thinks he will be very special when it's said and done.

9. Thinks Felix Jones is the perfect RB for the Broncos system.

SportsGuru- Great interview. I would have liked to have heard his opinion on the RB's, but you were a bit crammed for time at the end it seemed. Thanks for the info though! It was a very informing interview.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
If I can make just a quick off-topic comment, Ziggy, I just wanted to say it's
good seeing you around. Hope to see more of you. :wave:

-----

Ziggy
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
If I can make just a quick off-topic comment, Ziggy, I just wanted to say it's
good seeing you around. Hope to see more of you. :wave:

-----

Much appreciated! I'm an old time Bronco fan. I go back to the pre-Elway days, even pre-Orange Crush days. Back then we didn't have forums. Matter of fact, we didn't even have internet! Anyways, I've been through good and bad times with this team, and forums like this make both that much better. Thanks for the welcome.

topscribe
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Much appreciated! I'm an old time Bronco fan. I go back to the pre-Elway days, even pre-Orange Crush days. Back then we didn't have forums. Matter of fact, we didn't even have internet! Anyways, I've been through good and bad times with this team, and forums like this make both that much better. Thanks for the welcome.

Are you kidding? The first Broncos game I saw was their very first one ever
played . . . and the very first game of the AFL at all, 9 September 1960.
They beat the Boston Patriots 13-10 (and have owned them since).

Shoot, they barely had television back then. :laugh:

-----

Lonestar
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Are you kidding? The first Broncos game I saw was their very first one ever
played . . . and the very first game of the AFL at all, 9 September 1960.
They beat the Boston Patriots 13-10 (and have owned them since).

Shoot, they barely had television back then. :laugh:

-----

I was there also sitting in the north end zone that first year, in the shadows of the old press boxe behind home base.

Our TV was a black and white munz about a 20 inchers or so only if you had the rabbit ears line up just right.

Ziggy
04-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Great to see other old time Bronco fans around. I'm guessing the majority of folks on here are a bit younger than us though. Either way, if you're a loyal Bronco fan, whether it's been for 5 years of for 50, you're ok in my book.

Dean
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
:welcome: Boy you guys sure are OLD. ;)

omac
04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
1. He rates Chris Williams as the #1 LT prospect in this draft, compares him to Walter Jones, and thinks he would be perfect for the Broncos.

Interesting. Btw, look how closely he mirrors Jake Long in size and athleticism ....

Jake Long, 6'7, 313 lbs, 5.17 40-time

Chris Williams, 6'6, 315 lbs, 5.17 40-time

If he really is the best, it shouldn't be too much of a problem taking him at the spot we're at, since he's rated at one site as the 5th best OT, but would it be a reach? Would it be safe to wait for the 2nd round to get him?

Ziggy
04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Interesting. Btw, look how closely he mirrors Jake Long in size and athleticism ....

Jake Long, 6'7, 313 lbs, 5.17 40-time

Chris Williams, 6'6, 315 lbs, 5.17 40-time

If he really is the best, it shouldn't be too much of a problem taking him at the spot we're at, since he's rated at one site as the 5th best OT, but would it be a reach? Would it be safe to wait for the 2nd round to get him?

He won't be there in the second round. He may not even be there with the 12th pick. Even Jake Long is considered by most to be a true right tackle with the ability to move to left. Chris Williams is one of the few highly rated tackles in this draft that is considered a true left tackle.

omac
04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
He won't be there in the second round. He may not even be there with the 12th pick. Even Jake Long is considered by most to be a true right tackle with the ability to move to left. Chris Williams is one of the few highly rated tackles in this draft that is considered a true left tackle.

Then I hope we get him. We can surely get a quality RB past the 1st round, and maybe some quality DTs after too.

WARHORSE
04-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I was there also sitting in the north end zone that first year, in the shadows of the old press boxe behind home base.

Our TV was a black and white munz about a 20 inchers or so only if you had the rabbit ears line up just right.

Gulp.:shocked:

I thought I was old school. Ok, a newfound deference to ya JR. Ive been a fan since pop warner days back in the mid seventies........but I was born in 63, so you've been watchin since before I was a thought?

I defer.:salute:

Lonestar
04-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Gulp.:shocked:

I thought I was old school. Ok, a newfound deference to ya JR. Ive been a fan since pop warner days back in the mid seventies........but I was born in 63, so you've been watchin since before I was a thought?

I defer.:salute:

Well you were probably an itch in your daddies pants about the time the striped socks hit the field..

A lot of us old guys have more time standing in line to get to the urinal than alot of current group of fans from the glory days..

:cool:

WARHORSE
04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Well you were probably an itch in your daddies pants about the time the striped socks hit the field..

A lot of us old guys have more time standing in line to get to the urinal than alot of current group of fans from the glory days..

:cool:

Well, since my daddy raised me right when it comes to such matters, I'll just nod my head and say.........................no comment.

topscribe
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
:bump:

-----