PDA

View Full Version : The Vanderbilt Connection

r8rh8r
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
The linked article argues that Earl Bennett and Chris Williams should not be top targets by the Broncos in April. It does, however, argue that seldom-discussed Vanderbilt ILB Jonathan Goff could be our long-term solution at the Mike.

The Vanderbilt Connection (http://rockymountainfever.blogspot.com/2008/04/draft-targets-vanderbilt-connection.html)

In this thread, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my assessment of Williams and Bennett. I'd also like to hear your impression of Goff, your feelings about the Mike position in general, and any other comments or criticism.

Enjoy!

Drill-N-Fill
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Pros: Goff has pretty decent size, but has very good athleticism. He displays the ability to avoid blockers and seek out the ballcarrier. He is noted for his intelligence and does not play out of control. When Goff reads and reacts to plays, he seldom takes an improper angle. He is a sure tackler and does well in zone coverage, too. Overall, Goff is a fairly complete ILB prospect.

Cons: Goff has some difficulties with getting away from blockers if he cannot avoid them. There are some concerns about his strength as well. He still has room to improve in coverage, especially against RBs.

shank
04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
i like goff a lot and wouldn't be at all upset if we got him in the 4th.

i also won't be upset if we don't take a mlb this year. i'd like to give niko a chance and feel pretty comfortable with webster backing him up, but goff would come in and compete, and could potentially be our answer for the future.

the only thing i don't like about the idea, is what if niko comes in and plays well at mike? he's only 26 and can be our long term option at mike if he plays at high enough a level. having two good players at one position isn't a bad problem to have, but would leave me feeling like we could have taken someone besides goff in the 4th (there are a LOT of players i like in the 4th)...

i was never high on bennett, but think williams at 12 would be a good pickup. i think i have albert higher on my personal board right now because of his strength and versatility, as well as how mean he plays the game, which williams seems to lack, but would be happy with either.

i like albert more because if he doesn't win out the LT spot, i'm almost sure that he will win SOME spot on our line as a rookie.

bennett isn't all that impressive to me physically or mentally, and i'd much rather get jordy nelson in the 3rd-4th if we can swing it.

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Williams I would take in heart beat. I'm not sure about Bennett or Goff but maybe.

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
i like goff a lot and wouldn't be at all upset if we got him in the 4th.

i also won't be upset if we don't take a mlb this year. i'd like to give niko a chance and feel pretty comfortable with webster backing him up, but goff would come in and compete, and could potentially be our answer for the future.

the only thing i don't like about the idea, is what if niko comes in and plays well at mike? he's only 26 and can be our long term option at mike if he plays at high enough a level. having two good players at one position isn't a bad problem to have, but would leave me feeling like we could have taken someone besides goff in the 4th (there are a LOT of players i like in the 4th)...

i was never high on bennett, but think williams at 12 would be a good pickup. i think i have albert higher on my personal board right now because of his strength and versatility, as well as how mean he plays the game, which williams seems to lack, but would be happy with either.

i like albert more because if he doesn't win out the LT spot, i'm almost sure that he will win SOME spot on our line as a rookie.

bennett isn't all that impressive to me physically or mentally, and i'd much rather get jordy nelson in the 3rd-4th if we can swing it.

I have Albert ranked ahead of Williams in my list of top 15 picks.

Drill-N-Fill
04-08-2008, 08:35 PM
A kid that I kind of like is Beau Bell MLB UNLV. 6'2 245 lbs. 4.6 40.

A big fast PLAYMAKER that tackles well. My only concern is the competition he played against. He was suppose to be round 3-4 material, but has moved up to the 2 round. And I think thats kinda high for him.

Lonestar
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I might have missed his 40 speed, unless it is 5.0 plus he looks like player to me.

Drill-N-Fill
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I might have missed his 40 speed, unless it is 5.0 plus he looks like player to me.

4.6 was his pre-combine time. I heard his combine didn't go well.

Lonestar
04-09-2008, 12:07 AM
4.6 was his pre-combine time. I heard his combine didn't go well.

Well 4.6 sounds like a good time for a 250 pound LB.. Surely good enough for a 5-7th maybe choice..

r8rh8r
04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
4.68 for an ILB is fast. Granted, its not world class speed, but its above the fold for the current stable of NFL starters.

LRtagger
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
the only thing i don't like about the idea, is what if niko comes in and plays well at mike? he's only 26 and can be our long term option at mike if he plays at high enough a level. having two good players at one position isn't a bad problem to have, but would leave me feeling like we could have taken someone besides goff in the 4th (there are a LOT of players i like in the 4th)....

This is why I think taking a MLB in this draft is a bad idea. If Niko performs well, then that is like an extra pick in this draft and in future drafts. If he doesn't meet expectations, then at least we will have a very good special teamer and we can draft a stud MLB on day one next year. Next years LB class looks very good.

r8rh8r
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Goff ran a 4.68 at the combine, third fastest among ILB's.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I love Goff. I prefer mayo if we trade back in teh first, but Goff in 2 or 3 would please me.

Drill-N-Fill
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I love Goff. I prefer mayo if we trade back in teh first, but Goff in 2 or 3 would please me.

I thought you said a few months back you weren't high on Mayo...or maybe it was someone else :confused:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I thought you said a few months back you weren't high on Mayo...or maybe it was someone else :confused:

I said pre-season on the Freak that Mayo and Hefney were on my "overhyped-Buyer Beware" list. In 2006 Mayo missed a LOT of tackles and took bad angles. I'm glad to say he proved me wrong. He had an INCREDIBLE 2007 and became a leader of the Vols D. I saw a lot of Al Wilson in him this year. Considering how average the Vol DLine was, his numbers were that much more impressive.

Hefney, however, I wasn't so wrong about.

r8rh8r
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
From the limited amount of film I've watched and the scouting reports I've read, Mayo figures to be more of a weak side linebacker in the NFL. I suspect I haven't seen as much of him as the previous poster, however, so I'm really just parroting what the rest of the media says.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-09-2008, 07:08 PM
The next in a long line of top Volunteer linebackers...Can project inside or outside depending on the defensive scheme and has experience at both...Best fit may be as a middle 'backer in a Cover 2 or on the weakside..Not a traditional thumper but he will prove awfully attractive to teams that are willing to sacrifice some size for speed...He will draw comparisons to Al Wilson and those are reasonably accurate....140 Tackles in 2007

Npba900
04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
From what I saw on the video on GOFF, what impressed me is that Goff wrapped up on every tackle that I could see. Not one shoulder tackle!

I'd like to see Denver get a chance at taking him if he last until day two.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm just upset that Goff and Mayo both play inside (or Mayo is good at DJ's spot), cuz I'd be glowing if we coulda come out of this draft w/ both.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Speaking of Goff, ESPN Insider just profiled him in their "mid-round ILB's" column. Here's what they have to say:

Explosive and instinctive, Goff is a rangy run defender who gets to the ball quickly and won't miss many open field tackles. He also can cover a lot of ground in zone and get to the quarterback when blitzing. On the other hand, he has two flaws that will cause him to slide to the fifth round. First, while he has more than adequate size, Goff still has problems anchoring at the point of attack and is working on shedding blocks, so he can struggle when teams run at him. Second, he doesn't have great man-to-man cover skills because he's a straight-line player who takes too long to open his hips when forced to change directions quickly.

Jacksonville is one of the places Goff could succeed, and the Jaguars could improve their depth at inside linebacker and begin grooming a possible replacement for 31-year-old ILB Mike Peterson. While the Jaguars would have to protect Goff in coverage far more than Peterson, they have enough size at defensive tackle to keep blockers off Goff. That's important because he has the skills to develop into a very productive run-stuffer for a team that can let him fly to the ball without having to stack up blockers. Cincinnati would be a poor fit for Goff because the Bengals don't have the size up front to clog up the middle and keep interior offensive linemen away from him.

In other words, give this guy DT support and he'll be a playmaker. Put him in the situation D.J. was in last year, and he'll struggle. This profile could be Al Wilson's. The two are very similar players. I've seen him projected as late as a 6th rounder. Given our other needs, I'd feel pretty good about this pick on day 2.