PDA

View Full Version : TSN Team Report

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Rasizer gets right to the heart of Cutler's comments. It is in no way being viewed by the veterans as no-no but a clear sign that this is his team. Rasizer also thinks Denver will take an offensive tackle in the draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=397258

Broncos Team Report
Posted: April 8, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: QB Jay Cutler's chastisement of WR Brandon Marshall was surprising because he'd played things close to the vest with his comments in his first two years in Denver. But by calling out Marshall publicly after talking to him privately several times, it's clear Cutler is ready to take over as a team leader. Cutler spoke with some of the veteran players last season, and they said he needed to have a more authoritative voice. His decision to tell Marshall his off-field antics -- whether accidental or not -- have to stop is a clear sign Cutler has taken that advice to heart. ...

The Broncos almost certainly will draft an offensive tackle from a deep pool of prospects, but for now, they are giving Chris Kuper a chance to prove he can be a starter at the position. Kuper was solid at left guard last season, as a replacement for the injured Ben Hamilton. Hamilton appears to be healthy now, and the decision to move Kuper outside indicates the team is serious about playing its top five linemen, even if it means shifting them to new positions. Kuper could get a shot at left tackle, but he may have a more realistic shot at playing right tackle for the long term.

HARD TRUTH: The Broncos had better come away with a successful draft, because the fans are getting restless. On the surface, Denver's conservative approach to free agency after a 7-9 season, the decision to let K Jason Elam sign with Atlanta, and the messy dismissal of GM Ted Sundquist make the organization appear in disarray. In the end, though, what matters is the talent on hand. With the roster seemingly thin at several spots, it's pivotal for the Broncos to get a couple of solid offensive line and defensive tackle prospects, along with a couple of weapons for the offense.

SCOUTING REPORT: TE Tony Scheffler bulked up last season, with the hope of holding up better as a blocker, and worked on his speed closer to camp. But a broken foot waylayed his plans, and Scheffler now admits he never felt quite right physically last season. During private workouts this February and March, Scheffler has focused on his quickness off the ball and on gaining separation from defenders. He will play a pivotal role working alongside Daniel Graham in two-tight end sets and be especially useful split wide in multiple-receiver sets. Scheffler has already developed a close connection with Cutler.

OFFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS: Cutler's big arm is an asset, but with Javon Walker gone, the Broncos' receivers are going to have to prove they have the speed to stretch the field vertically for the team to make deep throws more of a staple on offense. Marshall's longest receptions have come more on tackle-busting plays more than long tosses, although he had been focusing on improving his deep quickness in workouts before injuring his arm. Brandon Stokley is more of an underneath threat, particularly on third downs. It's imperative for Keary Colbert to emerge as a threat on deep routes, or for Denver to add a speedster early in the draft.

honz
04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Schef becoming a better blocker would be huge for his and the team's success. I hope he has been working hard trying to get stronger this offseason as well.

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree it is important for his success and that of his team's for him to continue to work at improving himself as a player.

broncosfanscott
04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Seeing what Scheffler did with Cutler at the end of the '06 season made me excited for '07. Unfortunatly he got injured. As he progresses as a player he will be very vital to our offense.

As far as WR, Colbert needs to step up regardless of whether it is deep routes or not.

And of course a solid LT to improve the line and give Cutler the time he needs.

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Seeing what Scheffler did with Cutler at the end of the '06 season made me excited for '07. Unfortunatly he got injured. As he progresses as a player he will be very vital to our offense.

As far as WR, Colbert needs to step up regardless of whether it is deep routes or not.

Scheffler had pretty season in '07. He had 49 receptions 549 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns. Respectively he was second in receptions, tied for second in touchdows and thrid in receiving yard.

You aint kidding about Colbert it's a must for him to step up.

omac
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Yeah, that was the story last season; too many injuries to too many key players. Hopefully they can all stay healthy; I got pissed when Brandon found a way to injure himself. :D

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that was the story last season; too many injuries to too many key players. Hopefully they can all stay healthy; I got pissed when Brandon found a way to injure himself. :D

As did Jay.

scott.475
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I agree it is important for his success and that of his team's for him to continue to work at improving himself as a player.

:laugh:

omac
04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
As did Jay.

Hehehe. I'm pretty sure every Bronco who's experienced the ups and downs from injuries last season is also pissed at him. It's like a pitcher breaking his thumb while playing xbox. :D

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Hehehe. I'm pretty sure every Bronco who's experienced the ups and downs from injuries last season is also pissed at him. It's like a pitcher breaking his thumb while playing xbox. :D

I can't say I ever thought about it in that way. :lol:

gobroncsnv
04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
You aint kidding about Colbert it's a must for him to step up.

So Tex, what are the odds. I never really followed him after SC, just know that he didn't make much of a splash in the bigs. 2 questions... ok, 3.

Did they just not give him a chance in Carolina?
How are his hands?
How about his wheels?

Appreciate whatever you could do to elaborate. Good article, by the way. I didn't look at the Rocky site today.

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
So Tex, what are the odds. I never really followed him after SC, just know that he didn't make much of a splash in the bigs. 2 questions... ok, 3.

Did they just not give him a chance in Carolina?
How are his hands?
How about his wheels?

Appreciate whatever you could do to elaborate. Good article, by the way. I didn't look at the Rocky site today.

Those are all fair questions but since I don't follow Carolina I have no idea.

As to what are his chances of stepping up? Again I don't know but I do believe he will get a decent chance to prove himself.

omac
04-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Those are all fair questions but since I don't follow Carolina I have no idea.

As to what are his chances of stepping up? Again I don't know but I do believe he will get a decent to prove himself.

His first season, 2004, he had 754 yards and 5 TDs averaging 50 yards a game. One caveat: Smith was out 15 games. But Colbert was the #2, so he did perform well as a #2. Since then, he's been pretty mediocre. The Broncos are probably just looking for a guy who can catch the ball better than Martinez. Now why couldn't we hold on to Circus? :D

TXBRONC
04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
His first season, 2004, he had 754 yards and 5 TDs averaging 50 yards a game. One caveat: Smith was out 15 games. But Colbert was the #2, so he did perform well as a #2. Since then, he's been pretty mediocre. The Broncos are probably just looking for a guy who can catch the ball better than Martinez. Now why couldn't we hold on to Circus? :D

I'm hoping it was just the scheme that led to Colbert's lack of production, but I don't know.

omac
04-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm hoping it was just the scheme led to Colbert's lack of production, but I don't know.

Yeah, I hope so. But if Marshall and Stokley can continue their production, and Colbert can have about 35 yards a game, that would be good.

TXBRONC
04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I hope so. But if Marshall and Stokley can continue their production, and Colbert can have about 35 yards a game, that would be good.

As a wide out I hope he can average more that 35 yards per game that's only 560 yards receiving. I would like see him come up with numbers similar to his rookie season.

LRtagger
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Just remember...he had the likes of:

Jake Delhomme (average at best)
Vinny Testaverde (didnt he play in Super Bowl 1?)
David Carr (LOL)
Matt Moore (who?)
Chris Weinke (another LOL)

throwing balls to him over the last two seasons

Also consider, Steve Smith is an elite receiver in this league and he was 23rd in the league in receiving yards in 2007 (just BARELY over 1000 yards). Carolina's offense as a whole has been completely terrible over the last couple seasons. Last year they were at the bottom of the league in just about every category. They averaged 170 passing yards per game. 2005 and 2006 about 200 yards per game passing.

Obviously Colbert is not going to be a league leader in Denver, but he will have much better players around him and I think he could really be a solid #2. He seems to have good physical abilities and he is still very young, we will just have to see. I am optomistic about him, though.

Even with that said, I still think we should and will draft a WR by at least the 4th round in this draft. There is too much depth and talent to pass up.

omac
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
As a wide out I hope can average more that 35 yards per game that's only 560 yards receiving. I would like see him come up with numbers similar to his rookie season.

Yup, so would I, but for the price we got him, I think 560 is ok, I mean, there's only so much ball to go around for a run-oriented team; Marshall got 1300 yards, Stokley got 600 despite a few injuries, & Scheffler got 550 despite starting late because of injuries. I'd like Colbert to get around 700+ yards, but if these 3 could perform just as good as they did last season and Colbert manages about 550 yards, our passing game production would shoot up dramatically, I think. Ofcourse, if they can all have 1,000 yards receiving, and our #1 back can have 2,000 yards rushing, I wouldn't mind, hehehe. :D

omac
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Just remember...he had the likes of:

Jake Delhomme (average at best)
Vinny Testaverde (didnt he play in Super Bowl 1?)
David Carr (LOL)
Matt Moore (who?)
Chris Weinke (another LOL)

throwing balls to him over the last two seasons

Also consider, Steve Smith is an elite receiver in this league and he was 23rd in the league in receiving yards in 2007 (just BARELY over 1000 yards). Carolina's offense as a whole has been completely terrible over the last couple seasons. Last year they were at the bottom of the league in just about every category. They averaged 170 passing yards per game. 2005 and 2006 about 200 yards per game passing.

Obviously Colbert is not going to be a league leader in Denver, but he will have much better players around him and I think he could really be a solid #2. He seems to have good physical abilities and he is still very young, we will just have to see. I am optomistic about him, though.

Even with that said, I still think we should and will draft a WR by at least the 4th round in this draft. There is too much depth and talent to pass up.

Actually, Delhomme was on fire last season; if he continued his production over the 3 games before the injury, he'd have 40 passing TDs. But yes, after he went down, the Panthers passing attack was attrocious with their musical chairs QBs. Tough for any receiver to look good in that offense.

What I like about Colbert is, as you said, he's very young so he might still be better than he's performed; also, he wasn't expensive, so that's a good thing for an unknown quantity. :cheers:

TXBRONC
04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Yup, so would I, but for the price we got him, I think 560 is ok, I mean, there's only so much ball to go around for a run-oriented team; Marshall got 1300 yards, Stokley got 600 despite a few injuries, & Scheffler got 550 despite starting late because of injuries. I'd like Colbert to get around 700+ yards, but if these 3 could perform just as good as they did last season and Colbert manages about 550 yards, our passing game production would shoot up dramatically, I think. Ofcourse, if they can all have 1,000 yards receiving, and our #1 back can have 2,000 yards rushing, I wouldn't mind, hehehe. :D

That's what I've been saying, if Colbert can get around 700 yards receiving and five touchdowns then he was wise investment.

omac
04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
That's what I've saying, if Colbert can get around 700 yards receiving and five touchdowns then he was wise investment.

Yup, he'd be a steal. :cheers:

Lonestar
04-11-2008, 02:30 AM
That's what I've saying, if Colbert can get around 700 yards receiving and five touchdowns then he was wise investment.

Even if having him on the field and he gets 300 yards a a TD or two and it opens up the field for other WR to get some catches and TD's it is worth it at what he is making..

More would be better but a willing blocker for the run game someone that can run decent routes and snags a few, opens up the possiblities for everyone else from Graham to RB's.