PDA

View Full Version : How about a realistic draft trade sceanario?

Ziggy
04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Let's use what the GM's use and work with the current draft value chart as a guideline, then add realistic reasons WHY teams might do these trades.

Here is my proposal. Denver would like to pick up a third or better, and possibly move down in the draft. Dallas is slobbering over Mcfadden, and thier second biggest need is at cb. We are more than likely going to lose Foxworth after this year, since he has said that he would like to test the free agent waters next year and have the opportunity to be a starter. That's why this trade would made sense for both teams.

Dallas trades to Denver:
1: 22nd pick Round 1 (780 points)
2: 28th pick Round 1 (660 points)
total points= 1440

Denver trades to Dallas:
1: 12th pick round 1 (1200 points)
2: CB Dominique Foxworth if you value him as a 3rd rd pick-(116-235 points)
total points= 1316-1435

This trade would give the Cowboys a starting corner opposite Newman and a chance to move from the 12th pick in the draft, to where they think they need to be to grab Mcfadden by throwing in other picks and players. The teams at the top are much more likely to trade to the 12th pick than all the way to the latter portion of the first.
For Denver, it would give us a chance to grab 2 quality players late in round 1, or use the first to take a player and trade the other first for a 2nd and 3rd, or whatever they choose. It makes sense for both teams, and if you can value Foxworth as a 3rd round pick, fits within the draft value chart.

Thoughts?

turftoad
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Let's use what the GM's use and work with the current draft value chart as a guideline, then add realistic reasons WHY teams might do these trades.

Here is my proposal. Denver would like to pick up a third or better, and possibly move down in the draft. Dallas is slobbering over Mcfadden, and thier second biggest need is at cb. We are more than likely going to lose Foxworth after this year, since he has said that he would like to test the free agent waters next year and have the opportunity to be a starter. That's why this trade would made sense for both teams.

Dallas trades to Denver:
total points= 1440

Denver trades to Dallas:
total points= 1316-1435

This trade would give the Cowboys a starting corner opposite Newman and a chance to move from the 12th pick in the draft, to where they think they need to be to grab Mcfadden by throwing in other picks and players. The teams at the top are much more likely to trade to the 12th pick than all the way to the latter portion of the first.
For Denver, it would give us a chance to grab 2 quality players late in round 1, or use the first to take a player and trade the other first for a 2nd and 3rd, or whatever they choose. It makes sense for both teams, and if you can value Foxworth as a 3rd round pick, fits within the draft value chart.

Thoughts?

I'd do that in a minute.

haroldthebarrel
04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Id do that in a minute as well.
I think I even would have done the deal if the cowboys demanded a fourth rounder.
Then I would look to trade down again with one of the dallas picks.

BOSSHOGG30
04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I would do it, but I wouldn't be to happy about us letting Foxworth go. I like him a lot. Great character guy, super smart, and has plenty of upside. I like him more than Dre Bly.

lex
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
As Boss said in the other thread, it would have to be 3 teams to make sense.

It could be something like:
Denver #12 (1200 pts) < > Atlanta 37, 48, 68 (1200 pts)
Atlanta #3 (2200 pts) < > Dallas 22, 28 and some combination of players

That would leave us with:
Denver: 37, 42, 48, 68
Atlanta: 12, 22, 28
Dallas: 3

underrated29
04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
TRUE, but i dont see it as realistic. We might like it, but they might not value fox that high, plus only then they will be able to nab one player. If they have to move up further to get dmac, they would essentially be trading

both firsts, and a second and a player for dmac. Not worth it. Unless of course he falls out of the top 10 and then its very realistic.

I think the most realistic is trading back with houston or tampa, just a few slots. Nothing major nothing fancy.

BOSSHOGG30
04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
TRUE, but i dont see it as realistic. We might like it, but they might not value fox that high, plus only then they will be able to nab one player. If they have to move up further to get dmac, they would essentially be trading

both firsts, and a second and a player for dmac. Not worth it. Unless of course he falls out of the top 10 and then its very realistic.

I think the most realistic is trading back with houston or tampa, just a few slots. Nothing major nothing fancy.

I hope that if we trade with Tampa that we can get Michael Clayton in the deal too.

underrated29
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
i like the way you think.

BOSSHOGG30
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Broncos give:
1st round 12th overall

Bucs give:
1st round 20th overall
3rd round 83rd overall
WR, Michael Clayton

12th overall is worth 1200 points

20th overall is 850
83rd overall is 175
Clayton worth?????

LRtagger
04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Broncos give:
1st round 12th overall

Bucs give:
1st round 20th overall
3rd round 83rd overall
WR, Michael Clayton

12th overall is worth 1200 points

20th overall is 850
83rd overall is 175
Clayton worth?????

winner

broncohead
04-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Dallas trades to Denver:
total points= 1440

Denver trades to Dallas:
total points= 1316-1435

Thoughts?

I've had this idea in other threads. I would do it. Great value at the end of rd. 1 for us.

jhns
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
No trades are realistic before the draft actually happens. There is no way you could ever know who was willing to trade to our spot and they don't even know that until they see who is there at that spot on draft day. This is why I don't get the "Mock + trades" that people put out. Those are just there as pipe dreams. Noone will ever predict the draft day trades correctly.

Also, teams don't go off the value chart very much. The team that starts the trade usually spends more than what the value chart says. It hardly ever works out to be what the value chart says it should be.

broncohead
04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
No trades are realistic before the draft actually happens. There is no way you could ever know who was willing to trade to our spot and they don't even know that until they see who is there at that spot on draft day. This is why I don't get the "Mock + trades" that people put out. Those are just there as pipe dreams. Noone will ever predict the draft day trades correctly.

Also, teams don't go off the value chart very much. The team that starts the trade usually spends more than what the value chart says. It hardly ever works out to be what the value chart says it should be.

It all depends on what a team is willing to give up for their targeted prospect.

TXBRONC
04-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Dallas trades to Denver:
total points= 1440

Denver trades to Dallas:
total points= 1316-1435

Thoughts?

I was listening to a beat writer for Cowboys and he said it's not exactly accurate that Jones wants to trade up to get McFadden. Sure he would like to have him but he understands it's cost him a lot in picks and also guaranteed money if does trade up.

MOtorboat
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah...Dallas is gonna trade two first round picks to move up 10 spots, yeah, that's realistic...:rofl:

shank
04-08-2008, 11:41 PM

Yeah...Dallas is gonna trade two first round picks to move up 10 spots, yeah, that's realistic...:rofl:

see, i think the most unrealistic part is mcfadden falling past 6... i had high hopes that he would fall... all the way up until he ran that 4.27. even after the "official" time of 4.33, i knew that 4.27 would stick in people's heads and he was a top 10 LOCK. if he drops past 6 i would expect someone to trade up for him before he gets to 12. my hope would be that somehow it's with cincy or NO so that ellis can keep dropping?

Lonestar
04-09-2008, 01:33 AM
I was listening to a beat writer for Cowboys and he said it's not exactly accurate that Jones wants to trade up to get McFadden. Sure he would like to have him but he understands it's cost him a lot in picks and also guaranteed money if does trade up.

I hear the same stuff out west of you as ELP is a cowgirls town..

But he is a razorback alumni, I think I'd put money on this one.. they pretty much have a solid team this kid would fit right in and could make the difference this year.. Where most other positions would be next year players..

I think he bites the bullet and tries to get him.. Regardless of cost afterall he moves into a new stadium this year doesn't he?

He needs some one to fill those seats all the time.. and buy those jerseys..

I just can't see Jerry passing on a chance for him..

Retired_Member_001
04-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Yeah exactly. Unless McFadden drops that far I don't see it happening. It would be a dream trade though.

mclark
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM

Dallas trades to Denver:
total points= 1440

Denver trades to Dallas:
total points= 1316-1435

Thoughts?

I don't think Foxworth is any higher than a sixth round pick valuewise. He can't start. What did Warren get us last summer, as a starter? It seems like the market in terms of trading for veterans has gone down and down. A sixth round value is about 22 points. I think we'd have to give Dallas a 4th and a 5th round pick as well as our 1st and Foxworth.

WARHORSE
04-09-2008, 01:51 PM
First of all, three way trades will not take place on draft day, theres not enough time.

But as far as the trade chart goes, its a guide....not set in stone. Teams will raise or lower the value of specifice rounds depending on the value of the players they see themselves gathering there. If Dallas doesnt think anyone down at 22 and 28 is gonna take a starting spot this year, they may take an undervalued trade (according to the trade chart) in order to go where they want in order to get a player they want.

Anything can happen on draft day, and lets hope we get some kinda lopsided trade swinging our way.........................

Also, if we DID happen to trade with Dallas, Pat Sims is the DT I want.

Some feel in the end he may prove to be the best DT in this draft. Consistently beats the double team, explosive, powerful.

Great against the run.

broncohead
04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I like Sims but not in the first.

Ziggy
04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think Foxworth is any higher than a sixth round pick valuewise. He can't start. What did Warren get us last summer, as a starter? It seems like the market in terms of trading for veterans has gone down and down. A sixth round value is about 22 points. I think we'd have to give Dallas a 4th and a 5th round pick as well as our 1st and Foxworth.

You may be right about Foxy's value being closer to a sixth rounder. The Cowboys are badly in need of a 2nd corner, so they may value him a bit higher than other teams. That being said, I think Foxworth is off to greener pastures next year, (a team that he can start on) so anything we get in return for him is better than losing him for nothing. Besides, I like the kid and would like to see what he could do on a team that needs another starter at CB. I think he'd do well.

Simple Jaded
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
As Boss said in the other thread, it would have to be 3 teams to make sense.

It could be something like:
Denver #12 (1200 pts) < > Atlanta 37, 48, 68 (1200 pts)
Atlanta #3 (2200 pts) < > Dallas 22, 28 and some combination of players

That would leave us with:
Denver: 37, 42, 48, 68
Atlanta: 12, 22, 28
Dallas: 3

I would hope Denver doesn't trade that far down, the Broncos finished that high in the draft because they don't have enough players that you need a draft pick that high to get.

Now that Shanahan finally has a draft pick worth a shit, he doesn't want it......that's fine, but when he's out of a job, I hope he realizes that it's not because of his coaching ability.

He's got to fight every instinct he has and not F' this draft up, and dropping all the way to 37 (without getting a No1 in the 09 draft at least) is screwing the pooch......but, unfortuantely, screwing the draft pooch is one of Shanahan's innate gifts.

This is no offense to you or Boss, Lex, but this is Mike Shanahan were talking about, the 2nd round is not his strong suit......

lex
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I would hope Denver doesn't trade that far down, the Broncos finished that high in the draft because they don't have enough players that you need a draft pick that high to get.

Now that Shanahan finally has a draft pick worth a shit, he doesn't want it......that's fine, but when he's out of a job, I hope he realizes that it's not because of his coaching ability.

He's got to fight every instinct he has and not F' this draft up, and dropping all the way to 37 (without getting a No1 in the 09 draft at least) is screwing the pooch......but, unfortuantely, screwing the draft pooch is one of Shanahan's innate gifts.

This is no offense to you or Boss, Lex, but this is Mike Shanahan were talking about, the 2nd round is not his strong suit......

I hear ya. Trust me, but I also have misgivings about who we would take at 12. Im hearing DeSean Jackson and Im hearing Keith Rivers. But its also true about picks at 12. The trade I mentioned appeals to me because there are some good prospects in the 2nd range....I mean, I know I would take something like Lofton, Collins, Charles, and Nelson with the trade I mentioned but for all I know we'll make the typical nonsensical picks that we've all seen before.

Lonestar
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM

2 56 Tim Crowder DE Texas
2 61 Tony Scheffler TE Western Michigan
2 56 Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State
2 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State
2 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
2 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State
2 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
2 51 Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla.)
2 51 Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
2 40 Ian Gold LB Michigan
2 45 Kenoy Kennedy SAF Arkansas
2 58 Montae Reagor DE Texas Tech
2 61 Lennie Friedman C Duke
2 61 Eric Brown SS Mississippi State
2 44 Tory James DB Louisiana State

4 of 15 looked like keepers to me. maybe 5 if you count darrent which most were calling for foxy to replace, before his untimely death...

Looks like me and you against the world..

BTW if we are unable to trade up to get one of the few stud DT in the draft or back and have to settle for someone that might be graded out as a # 15-18 pick and get someone at a position that we truly need, what is the issue as long as we make the effort to get the best value..

The key to my comment, "is a player that is graded next at position of need.

To hear some of you say we can't reach to the next best player @ DT, OLT. Just does not make sense to me.. If we took the 4th best CB @12 because he was graded out at 11-14 because he was the BAP, that would bother me.

As long as we fill a position of need with the next best player who really gives a Crap.

TXBRONC
04-10-2008, 06:12 PM

I'm sure Shanahan realizes how valuable the number 12 pick is. If he drops out of the first altogether he's going to come away with an '09 first round pick that I would almost bet money on. That being said, I don't see him dropping out of the first round in strong draft.

haroldthebarrel
04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm sure Shanahan realizes how valuable the number 12 pick is. If he drops out of the first altogether he's going to come away with an '09 first round pick that I would almost bet money on. That being said, I don't see him dropping out of the first round in strong draft.

I am at this point that if we stay and as long as the team drafts Williams I will more or less be extatic anyway. If they could trade down and get him or Clady that would be a lot cooler but I dont think so. I guess my wish for a true LT is ever so present and I have sort of fallen in love with Williams over Clady.

I would however be very angry if we loose out on a OT prospect in this draft.
This team likely wont be true contender until at least next season, and to install a new tackle then would just prolong the drought.

I wouldnt mind taking Cherilus in the second if we trade down. In fact, if we were to trade down I would keep an eye on who might take him in order to perhaps make a little move up for him.

I do hope we take some guys in the trenches in this draft just as we did last year. One can never have enough talent in the trenches, and if you are solid, even average linebackers and safeties can look good for the most part.

Taking Rivers or Desean Jackson scares me. Why take a receiver in the first when you can get Malcolm Kelly in the second. Even if his pro day sucked, there is ample enough videotape of him so he could resemble Boldiin to some extent.
Besides, I wouldnt mind at all us getting either of Nelson or Doucet in the second or third round(trade down).
People say there are only a lot of second receivers in this draft but there are so many of them and there are always the ones who suddenly "get it" and become numero unos.

BOSSHOGG30
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Jets, Broncos, and ?

This will be the trade three team trade.

lex
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Jets, Broncos, and ?

What if Goodman is telling Shanahan that McFadden is the best RB he has seen since Bo Jackson? What if its a two team trade thats holding up the Robertson deal because its contingent on McFadden being available at 6? Im sure everyone would be thrilled with this idea. I know two people who wouldnt have a problem with it though.

haroldthebarrel
04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Jets, Broncos, and ?

good point. perhaps it is the parameters of the Robertsons deal that is contingent on some sort of three way trade with the Jets and another team.
There are a lot of sutors. Minnesota could be one trying to get Harvey.
Dallas and the maniacs in redskinland are another.

I have a feeling this draft could be a trade heaven thing and leave every mock draft look odd.

haroldthebarrel
04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
What if Goodman is telling Shanahan that McFadden is the best RB he has seen since Bo Jackson? What if its a two team trade thats holding up the Robertson deal because its contingent on McFadden being available at 6? Im sure everyone would be thrilled with this idea. I know two people who wouldnt have a problem with it though.

I dont think I would be all that pissed if McFadden actually was at our pick and we took him. I am certain the coaches could make him a superstar in Denver. Any rb in denver should consider himself lucky as you dont get a better shot at rb stardom in the whole league.

That said, I would still rather trade down, but I wouldnt get pissed off like if we took Desean Jackson, Rivers or another receiver.
the thing about Rivers is that we could have a trio of linebackers with DJ inside that could wreak havoc so I dont think he would be a bust.
Just not a great pick, just like I always said that DJ was a good pick but tradign up for a trenchtalent like Tommie Harris, in this case Williams is more a great pick.