PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks have had "preliminary" talks with Marshall's agent

broncofaninfla
03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Seahawks have had "preliminary" talks with Marshall's agent (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/24/seahawks-have-had-preliminary-talks-with-marshalls-agent/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 24, 2010 9:36 AM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/03/B.%20Marshall%20Getty-thumb-250x185-6701-thumb-250x185-6702.jpg (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/03/B.%20Marshall%20Getty-thumb-250x185-6701.jpg)The Seahawks and Brandon Marshall continue to circle each other like Conan and Bieber (http://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/10783127822).

Seattle doesn't look willing to give up the No. 6 pick overall pick for Marshall, but they are obviously interested after picking up Marshall and his fiancee in a seaplane on March 6.

Pete Carroll admitted Wednesday morning (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14747573?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter) that Seahawks G.M. John Schneider has had "preliminary" discussions with Marshall's agent Kennard McGuire about a possible new contract. That's step one.

Step two is figuring out trade terms the Broncos would accept. Denver says they aren't looking to negotiate, but that defies logic.

Denver wants a first-round pick. If Seattle's No. 14 overall pick was the highest first-rounder they were offered, why wouldn't they negotiate?

The deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets is April 15, but a trade could possibly come closer to the NFL draft.

Nomad
03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
This reminds me of a person who really wants that big 56" flat HD flat screen and keeps going to Best Buy to look at it but won't buy it, because the house needs a new furnace and the car a new fuel pump and it's wintertime!!

In other words, Seattle really wants Marshall but they have greater needs at the oline (possibly dline) and at rb, but they may impulse buy instead of fixing the needs and go with cheaper, more unreliable parts latter in the draft!!

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Seahawks have had "preliminary" talks with Marshall's agent (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/24/seahawks-have-had-preliminary-talks-with-marshalls-agent/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 24, 2010 9:36 AM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/03/B.%20Marshall%20Getty-thumb-250x185-6701-thumb-250x185-6702.jpg (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/03/B.%20Marshall%20Getty-thumb-250x185-6701.jpg)The Seahawks and Brandon Marshall continue to circle each other like Conan and Bieber (http://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/10783127822).

Seattle doesn't look willing to give up the No. 6 pick overall pick for Marshall, but they are obviously interested after picking up Marshall and his fiancee in a seaplane on March 6.

Pete Carroll admitted Wednesday morning (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14747573?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter) that Seahawks G.M. John Schneider has had "preliminary" discussions with Marshall's agent Kennard McGuire about a possible new contract. That's step one.

Step two is figuring out trade terms the Broncos would accept. Denver says they aren't looking to negotiate, but that defies logic.

Denver wants a first-round pick. If Seattle's No. 14 overall pick was the highest first-rounder they were offered, why wouldn't they negotiate?

The deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets is April 15, but a trade could possibly come closer to the NFL draft.

Wasn't Seattle's orignal offer less than a first round pick?

Northman
03-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Yea, i believe so. They were trying to dish off a 2nd rounder and some players. Denver declined and said they want a first but my guess is they would settle for the 14th even though the tender specifies the 6th. They basically want something for nothing and we just arent going to be that stupid.

SOCALORADO.
03-24-2010, 09:30 AM

I dont think anyone knows what was offered or if there was any offer.

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Yea, i believe so. They were trying to dish off a 2nd rounder and some players. Denver declined and said they want a first but my guess is they would settle for the 14th even though the tender specifies the 6th. They basically want something for nothing and we just arent going to be that stupid.

That's what I thought. Remember McDaniels saying he wouldn't settle for anything less than a first round pick. That certainly leaves the door wide to being either one of their first round picks.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 09:35 AM

There hasn't been an offer, because Marshall hasn't signed the sheet from Denver.

There was speculation that Seattle would offer up their second round pick, but now that second round pick has moved further down the draft, due to the exchange with SD. So instead being 40, its like 60 now.

But there has not been any offer, as of yet.

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
There hasn't been an offer, because Marshall hasn't signed the sheet from Denver.

There was speculation that Seattle would offer up their second round pick, but now that second round pick has moved further down the draft, due to the exchange with SD. So instead being 40, its like 60 now.

But there has not been any offer, as of yet.

So there wasn't a formal offer however it is speculated that what the Seahawks were going to offer was less than a first rounder. That would make sense since McDaniels said he wouldn't take anything less than a first round pick.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
So there wasn't a formal offer however it is speculated that what the Seahawks were going to offer was less than a first rounder. That would make sense since McDaniels said he wouldn't take anything less than a first round pick.

Yeah.. thats what has been said. I believe McD said that before Seattle brought Brandon to the city to meet. But I'm not sure on that.

Initially I didn't think Seattle would offer more up than their 2nd round pick, and additional picks next season. Now that pick has moved down, that changes. Doesn't mean we get a 1st this season, but it will be interesting to find out. Definitely won't be the 6th.

McD has postured himself saying that he won't take less than a 1st. However, I think we both know that he would, if he has to . Then all he has to say is "I took the best offer we could, and felt it was the best thing for the team."

It may turn out that Seattle isn't the main player, come draft time. Another team, with a higher second round pick, or lower first, may be the surprise player. I know some will say "it has to happen before the draft" but it doesn't. Marshall doesn't have to sign the tender. He won't sign until he knows he has a trade in place... that just a quick signature and formalities.

Its interesting. Seattle may want to see what players are available on draft day, at 14, to see if they want to make the trade.

If they could trade for Marshall for something else other than their firsts this season.... they could get Clausen, Spiller, and Marshall............that would be an OUTSTANDING draft for their team.

JONtheBRONCO
03-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Just want to get rid of him. Yes, he is a beast. Yes, I understand we shouldn't just give him away but one more run in with the law and B-Marsh is done for half the season, maybe more. After that, its a very fine line for Brandon. I know he said he's changed, yada, yada, yada, but I don't buy it. The guy could get himself into real trouble again. Let him be someone elses problem, regardless of how big of a superstar he is.

Broncolingus
03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I could live with getting the 14th overall pick for BM...

BigBroncLove
03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I could live with getting the 14th overall pick for BM...

So could I. Quite honestly I think there would be plenty of players the Broncos need at this position while reducing considerably the cost of signing the rookie and the amount of time for the now league standard holdout that follows top #20 picks.

slim
03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
If we had acted quicker, we could of had Seneca Wallace :shocked:

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 12:10 PM

?? :confused:

NameUsedBefore
03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
This might be one of those deals that happens draft day. Basically we see a player we wanted still hasn't been picked at #6 and we pull the trigger. Or, McDaniels trades our first for a second, combines our thirds, and blows it all on absolutely nothing.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
This might be one of those deals that happens draft day. Basically we see a player we wanted still hasn't been picked at #6 and we pull the trigger. Or, McDaniels trades our first for a second, combines our thirds, and blows it all on absolutely nothing.

How do we pull the trigger if we see a player we want at 6?

claymore
03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Im thinking we get the #14 and draft Haden. Which normally wouldnt be so bad. But we already drafted a CB with that same pick last year. :(

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Im thinking we get the #14 and draft Haden. Which normally wouldnt be so bad. But we already drafted a CB with that same pick last year. :(

Oh man.. can you imagine if that happens? Ugh :rain:

BigBroncLove
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM

If we had the #14 I'd like Maurkice Pouncey if he was there... reach or not.

CoachChaz
03-24-2010, 12:38 PM
If we end up with 11 and 14, we have to try to trade back with one of them. Get a later first and maybe a 3rd.

slim
03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
If we had the #14 I'd like Maurkice Pouncey if he was there... reach or not.

Yeah, having a center on the roster might be a good idea.

Maybe next year we will sign three in the off season.

Northman
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
If they could trade for Marshall for something else other than their firsts this season.... they could get Clausen, Spiller, and Marshall............that would be an OUTSTANDING draft for their team.

They wouldnt be able to get both Clausen and Spiller by giving up one of their firsts. :D

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Look at it this way, if we get the 14th pick back that's kind of like a redo. :elefant:

topscribe
03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
I surely hope the Broncos don't cave on this. There is no one on the draft board
who could make the Broncos a better team than they are with Marshall, IMO.

-----

dogfish
03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
This reminds me of a person who really wants that big 56" flat HD flat screen and keeps going to Best Buy to look at it but won't buy it, because the house needs a new furnace and the car a new fuel pump and it's wintertime!!

In other words, Seattle really wants Marshall but they have greater needs at the oline (possibly dline) and at rb, but they may impulse buy instead of fixing the needs and go with cheaper, more unreliable parts latter in the draft!!

well at least marshall gets to be a flat screen-- orton got stuck being macaroni salad. . . .:lol:

see slim, this is the kind of insight we need around here-- you need to post more often. . .

hell with taxes. . . .

WARHORSE
03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
ORLANDO, FLA. — At his first NFC coaches breakfast here today, Seattle coach Pete Carroll spoke about his team's interest in Broncos' restricted free agent receiver Brandon Marshall.
Carroll said Seahawks GM John Schneider has talked with the Broncos and Marshall's agent Kennard McGuire. Because Marshall is a restricted free agent, the Seahawks would probably have to first settle on a new contract with the receiver, and then talk compensation with the Broncos. It appears the Seahawks are not willing to sign Marshall to an offer sheet that would mean surrendering their No. 6 overall draft pick to Denver.
"There has been some talk," Carroll said. "John has handled that so far. But it's very preliminary."
The
All Things Broncos blog (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos)

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0321/20100321_123640_BroncosBlogBug_2010.jpg (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos)The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

Seahawks flew Marshall and his fiance Michi Nogami-Campbell into their headquarters by seaplane for a visit on March 6-7.
"Knowing he has a chance to be available just like any other aspect of building a football team we're looking for the best guys we can possibly find,"Carroll said.
"See what we can do with him and see what his individual situation holds and there's a chance you can find a way to get him."
Carroll's coaching staff in Seattle includes three of Marshall's former Broncos coaches, offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, receivers coach Jedd Fisch and tight end coach Pat McPherson.
"Those guys all know him so they gave us unique insight on how he can fit into our offense and what he can do to help us," Carroll said.

Looks like Bates and the boys are pushin for BM. Also, Carroll is admitting their desire for him to play there.
Now, it will be all about compensation...........

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14747573?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter#ixzz0j7izAlCA (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14747573?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter#ixzz0j7izAlCA)

Traveler
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Merge...

GEM
03-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Merge...

Done :D

Traveler
03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Done :D

Besos!

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Not sure if they are pushing... or just insighting

WARHORSE
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Not sure if they are pushing... or just insighting

Or infighting.......:coffee:

rationalfan
03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Just want to get rid of him. Yes, he is a beast. Yes, I understand we shouldn't just give him away but one more run in with the law and B-Marsh is done for half the season, maybe more. After that, its a very fine line for Brandon. I know he said he's changed, yada, yada, yada, but I don't buy it. The guy could get himself into real trouble again. Let him be someone elses problem, regardless of how big of a superstar he is.

same theory could be applied to a first round draft pick's knees. no one knows the future.

Northman
03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
same theory could be applied to a first round draft pick's knees. no one knows the future.

Ironically though some theories are much easier to anticipate such is the case with BM.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Ironically though some theories are much easier to anticipate such is the case with BM.

That's not irony :D

Northman
03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
That's not irony :D

Your right, its guaranteed. My bad. :laugh:

Elevation inc
03-25-2010, 02:04 AM
here is my i havent slept in 24 hours take......at pick 11 houston comes calling for it since they need haden or earl thomas very badly....we trade with them for their 20th and second rd picks.....

miami had to wait since dan williams was gone and selects dez bryant at pick 12, seattles craps its pants on missing out and trades for marshall for there 14th....

we end up with 14/20/45/51

1.)(from Seattle)- DE Jared ODrick(top 15 pick)
1.)(from houston)- LB Sean Weatherspoon(top 25 pick)
2.)OG/RT Vladimir Ducasse
2.)(from houston)- C JD walton
3.)WR Andre roberts
4.)DE/OLB- Brandon sharpe

done deal both fronts have been addressed with key players now. and we have a legit number 1 WR to groom....

come on MCD lets get er done....

WARHORSE
03-25-2010, 04:20 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. — Seaplanes are great for show.
Steady negotiation is how Brandon Marshall will get his dough.
Marshall, the Broncos' restricted free-agent receiver, appears to have taken a step closer to the Seattle Seahawks this week.

Seattle coach Pete Carroll, at his first NFC coaches' breakfast Wednesday, spoke about his team's interest in Marshall.
"Knowing he has a chance to be available — just like any other aspect of building a football team — we're looking for the best guys we can possibly find," Carroll said.

"See what we can do with him and see what his individual situation holds, and there's a chance you can find a way to get him."

Carroll said Seahawks GM John Schneider has talked with the Broncos and Marshall's agent Kennard McGuire, who was spotted Tuesday in the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes hotel that was hosting the NFL owners' meetings.

"There has been some talk," Carroll said. "John has handled that so far. But it's very preliminary."

According to NFL executives familiar with the restricted free- agent process, protocol is for the Seahawks to first negotiate the framework of a new contract with Marshall, who has managed to set aside the occasional turbulence in his personal life to produce three consecutive 100-catch seasons. Only then would Seattle start compensation talks with the Broncos.

The Broncos began the restricted free-agent process on March 3 by slapping Marshall with a first-round tender that carries a $2.512 million salary for 2010. Marshall, though, is widely considered one of the league's top five receivers and is seeking a contract worth more than $10 million a year.

Should Seattle be willing to sign Marshall away, it would have to compensate the Broncos with a first-round draft pick. Seattle has two first-round picks, Nos. 6 and No. 14.

The Seahawks, though, don't appear in a rush to part with either first-round pick. There are ways of working outside the restricted free-agent process and executing a trade involving other compensation. But if Seattle refuses to budge off its insistence of keeping both first-round picks, it may have a difficult time satisfying the Broncos.

Seattle's next-highest draft choice is late in the second round, No. 60 overall. Even if Seattle throws in two fourth-round draft choices, the Broncos would want any compensation package for a player of Marshall's caliber to begin with something higher than No. 60.

If Marshall goes past the April 15 offer-sheet deadline without a deal from Seattle, other teams figure to become involved in the week leading up to the draft on April 22.

Would Redskins and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan be interested in Marshall?
"You'll just have to wait and see," Shanahan said, smiling Wednesday. "Can't share that with you."

The Redskins would consider their No. 4 draft pick too much for Marshall, but their early second-round pick, No. 37 overall, might allow Shana- han to let bygones be bygones and strike a deal with his former team.

The Seahawks, though, are unquestionably the front-runner to employ Marshall for the 2010 season and beyond. They flew the two-time Pro Bowler and his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell, into their headquarters by seaplane for a visit March 6-7.

Carroll's coaching staff in Seattle includes three of Marshall's former Broncos coaches — Jeremy Bates, Jedd Fisch and Pat McPherson.
"Those guys know what he can do to help us," Carroll said.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14752735#ixzz0jB7HdqLQ (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14752735#ixzz0jB7HdqLQ)

Sounds to me like if Seattle is still negotiating terms of a contract, and they trade away their second round pick for a later one in the Whitehurst deal, then one of two things:

One- They know, and are willing, to give up a first for Brandon this year.

Two-They try to use selections from next years draft, such as this years second.........and next years first.

Hmmmm................:coffee:

WARHORSE
03-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Hmmm........

Would I take Seattles second round pick this year and next years first rounder?

I think I would normally.........but next year may have a lock out.