PDA

View Full Version : We Signed Mawae Today?

WARHORSE
03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mawae

Ravage!!!
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I was JUST about to post this!

Hey.. wiki can't be wrong! :lol:

but it was dead on with the Williams signing, so who knows??? Its weird that the wiki-wiji-board has predicted again

Slick
03-23-2010, 06:58 PM
I hope that turns out to be true War. He's old, but he can still play.

getlynched47
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I hope that turns out to be true War. He's old, but he can still play.

I hope we didn't sign Kevin Mawae.

If we wanted an old, undersized, declining center, we should've just kept Casey Wiegmann. At least he knew the system.

Just say no to Mawae. Please. Jeez

McDaniels has said hundreds of times that he wants to get bigger and stronger in the trenches. They did that on the defensive line. Kevin Mawae does not fulfill that on the offensive line.

SoCalImport
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
if it has happened, I'm all for it.
He's our best chance of getting quality play at that position in the upcoming season. He's bound to retire soon so it's not like the Broncos are investing long term.
We should still use an early draft pick on a center though.

Poet
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM

If we wanted an old, undersized, declining center, we should've just kept Casey Wiegmann. At least he knew the system.

McDaniels has said hundreds of times that he wants to get bigger and stronger in the trenches. They did that on the defensive line. Kevin Mawae does not fulfill that on the offensive line.

He's old, he's 'undersized', and he's still one of the best centers in the NFL.

LRtagger
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
On March 23, 2010, Mawae signed a three year contract with the Denver Broncos as an unrestricted free agent.

OrangeHoof
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
If it's true, it's a stopgap move that can last a year or two at most so we ought to draft another center this year.

Slick
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM

I just want a savvy veteran to show our new guy the ropes. He's a very intelligent football player and you couldn't ask for a better mentor. I think it's safe to say we'll be drafting a center this year.

Peerless
03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
This signing is just as true as the reported Leonard Davis signing.

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Could not have a Better teacher than an all pro with a gazillion years exprience.

Would rather have had him at 310 plus but wisdom will beat a lot of newbies on the DL. If we can grab a couple of quality OGs to cover his back then we will be shitting in tall cotton.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Traveler
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
I saw no mention of his signing on wiki.

EMB6903
03-23-2010, 09:46 PM
lol @ anybody thinking wikipedia is a legit source.

LRtagger
03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Wikipedia was the first source to say we signed Jamal Williams wasn't it?

Now on Mawae's page it says he plays for the Panthers lol

Italianmobstr7
03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Wikipedia was the first source to say we signed Jamal Williams wasn't it?

Now on Mawae's page it says he plays for the Panthers lol

It also said Leonard Davis was a Bronco last week. No need to believe this until someone like Adam Schefter, Lindsey Jones, or Josina Anderson announce it.

rcsodak
03-23-2010, 10:52 PM
It also said Leonard Davis was a Bronco last week. No need to believe this until someone like Adam Schefter, Lindsey Jones, or Josina Anderson announce it.

You should have stopped after Shefter.
:coffee:

Italianmobstr7
03-24-2010, 01:52 AM
You should have stopped after Shefter.
:coffee:

I'm not saying either of the other 2 are great reporters, just that they have the inside scoop on Broncos news. I've seen numerous times one of the other 2 have some news before the national media does. Schefter is tons better than pretty much any other reporter as far as I'm concerned.

SoCalImport
03-24-2010, 06:19 AM
This is the only reference (outside of wiki) that I can find.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/22/broncos-express-interest-in-mawae/

JASON LA CANFORA
Broncos express interest in Mawae
Posted: March 22nd, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: 2010 Free Agency, 2010 NFL Annual Meeting, Casey Wiegmann, Denver Broncos, Kevin Mawae

"The Denver Broncos have expressed some interest in Pro Bowl C Kevin Mawae, according to a league source.

Denver lost C Casey Wiegmann to the Chiefs in free agency, and though the team is looking to get younger at that position, Mawae is a possibility and there has been contact between the sides. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Mawae has the option of returning to the Titans as well, in what would likely be a depth role. Despite his age, he made it through 2009 injury free and was voted to another Pro Bowl, but the interest in him has been limited to this point."

GEM
03-24-2010, 10:55 AM
If it's true, it's a stopgap move that can last a year or two at most so we ought to draft another center this year.

I'd be fine with it but at some point we need to get our solid center in for good. Wiegman was good for his time, then we get another stop gap. That's at least 3 years where we should be grooming our C for the future. I hope they have that person already in there or are planning on drafting. Stop gaps are what got us into this mess. Constantly picking up scrubs but never filling the position for the future.

GEM
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not saying either of the other 2 are great reporters, just that they have the inside scoop on Broncos news. I've seen numerous times one of the other 2 have some news before the national media does. Schefter is tons better than pretty much any other reporter as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather stab myself in the eyes with an ice pick than pay any attention to what Josina Anderson reports. She fully describes the word loathe for me.

dogfish
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd be fine with it but at some point we need to get our solid center in for good. Wiegman was good for his time, then we get another stop gap. That's at least 3 years where we should be grooming our C for the future. I hope they have that person already in there or are planning on drafting. Stop gaps are what got us into this mess. Constantly picking up scrubs but never filling the position for the future.

in fairness, the current coaching staff and FO haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to build for the future. . . and you could say that shanahan neglected it, but it wouldn't be the truth. . . for years it looked like ben hamnilton would slide over when nails retired, and we also drafted kory lichtensteiger in the 4th round in '08-- he was one of college football's top centers, and looked like a good fit for the zone-blocking scheme. . .

i'm assuming that he wasn't considered a good fit for the new scheme, because he was cut during the offseason. . . and we did draft a center last year-- blake schleuter (shoulda taken a chance on AQ shipley)-- but he didn't make it out of training camp. . .

not that you're wrong-- we DO need to get it taken care of long term, absolutely-- but i don't think the current hole is due to neglect or mismanagement, but rather the scheme change and failure of a few recent draft picks to stick. . .

GEM
03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
in fairness, the current coaching staff and FO haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to build for the future. . . and you could say that shanahan neglected it, but it wouldn't be the truth. . . for years it looked like ben hamnilton would slide over when nails retired, and we also drafted kory lichtensteiger in the 4th round in '08-- he was one of college football's top centers, and looked like a good fit for the zone-blocking scheme. . .

i'm assuming that he wasn't considered a good fit for the new scheme, because he was cut during the offseason. . . and we did draft a center last year-- blake schleuter (shoulda taken a chance on AQ shipley)-- but he didn't make it out of training camp. . .

not that you're wrong-- we DO need to get it taken care of long term, absolutely-- but i don't think the current hole is due to neglect or mismanagement, but rather the scheme change and failure of a few recent draft picks to stick. . .

I just don't want this coaching staff to get in the same rut of bringing in guys that are past their prime and patching the team together. Just be smarter with the draft choices and such.

rcsodak
03-24-2010, 06:27 PM
And just like that, thoughts of a union between the Denver Broncos and the acting president of the NFL Players Association have been quashed.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post blogs that, while the Broncos may have “expressed interest” in center Kevin Mawae, Denver isn’t seriously pursuing the 39-year-old free agent. In fact, Klis states that, per a league source, a deal won’t happen.

The reasoning is as we documented — center Casey Wiegmann was released over two concerns: size and age. With the Broncos moving to a power blocking scheme, Mawae is an improvement in neither.

And if you decide you’re going in a different direction, it doesn’t make much sense to replace a player with another headed in the same one.

Wuck Fikipedia

WARHORSE
03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I'd rather stab myself in the eyes with an ice pick than pay any attention to what Josina Anderson reports. She fully describes the word loathe for me.

In the words of someone I heard recently...................ruh roh!

:D