PDA

View Full Version : A Trade With The Browns Again?

WARHORSE
03-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Read this from Mangina first:

Mangini says more trades could be coming

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2010 12:02 PM ET
The Browns recently picked up another third-round pick, in exchange for former first-rounder Kamerion Wimbley.

But they might not be keeping it.

According to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, coach Eric Mangini said that the Wimbley trade was made due in part to an opportunity for another transaction.

"A little bit of this was done in anticipation of being able to get some other things done that will involve draft picks," Mangini said.

The Browns, who in past years traded away their picks before draft day or traded down through the rounds, hold five of the first 87 selections.

It could mean that the Browns are considering making a move on one or more restricted free agents, either via signing them to an offer sheet or trading for them. One distinct possibility in this regard is Seattle guard Rob Sims, who widely is believed to be on his way out in Seattle.

There's also a chance that the Browns will keep the picks, and use them. "Until it's done, you can't guarantee it," Mangini said. "But it gives us flexibility if we want to do that. If not, then you get another third-round draft pick, which is really a good spot to draft, whether we want to address the secondary or someplace else."

After reading the quotes, we're starting to wonder whether an Eric Mangini impersonator has infiltrated the annual league meetings. The Eric Mangini who has served as a head coach for four NFL seasons has been tight-lipped throughout his tenure.

So what gives? His new boss, Mike Holmgren, apparently has advised him that there's no benefit in following a strict policy of silence.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, if the Browns are targeting an RFA, seems to me like I should look at the guys on my roster that they might want. Not cause I wanna get rid of anyone, I just want to see if there may be someone that we have that they may want.

Guess what..............I found one.

Why did they let go of Wimbley?

Wimbley who started 16 games for every year except one in which he started 15?

Wimbley who lead them in sacks with 11 as a rookie, and led them each year?

Hes their biggest pass rush threat, and Mangini and Ryan were pleased with what he was producing on the field early last year in his move from WSLB to
SSLB in their scheme. He started off really strong, and then tailed off somewhat.

The Broncos trade for Quinn. Two hours later the Raiders announce they have aquired Wimbley.

Then I read this article and Im wondering, could it be possible the Browns want the most productive pass rusher in the NFL?

Doomerville can be had for a first and third.

For a team that seems to strike out in the draft.........seems to me like they may want a surer bet of production for their money than a high draft pick.

Im not sayin this is the case...........but I wouldnt be shocked......would you?

HMMMmmmmm.........:shocked:

I cant see the Browns trading away their biggest pass rush threat on a team that needs pressure.
Former first round pick.....for a third rounder.
Doesnt compute. Doesnt add up. Doesnt make sense. No comprende. Me no speaking de inglish. Vassap?

Italianmobstr7
03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Even if they tried to get Dumervil we wouldn't let him go... So I don't think that this has ANYTHING to do with the Broncos.

Lancane
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I would not be surprised if Dumervil was signed by the Browns, they have a need to improve and getting the 2009 NFL sack leader would really help boost fan confidence on a team that has thus far had nothing short of a dissapointing off-season. But will the Broncos match the offer? I don't believe they would...not that it is a financial issue, but McDaniels is from the Belichick tree, and they seem to believe that all talent can be replaced...well give at quarterback! - Too bad McDaniels did not learn that tid-bit.

Rick
03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Unless they feel Doom is completly hopeless as a run stopper and that Ayers can produce similar producation I don't see anyway that Doom is not retained by Denver.

broncobryce
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I think we will definetely match the offer

SR
03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you intentionally make your thread titles misleading? Jesus Jones.

dogfish
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
really doubt it. . .

cleveland was in the league's top ten in sacks last year with 40, and wimbley only had 6.5 of those. . . while over just the last 6 weeks of the season, matt roth had 4 and marcus bernard had 3.5. . . roth was a waiver wire steal-- a former 2nd round pick who was touted as a high-motor pass rusher, he had an up and down first four seasons with miami. . . roth always flashed but struggled with inconsistency and minor injuries. . . miami let him go because of some conflict with the coaching staff, and his strong play down the stretch sparked cleveland's pass rush, and is probably one of the reasons they were willing to let wimbley go-- dude was an underachiever anyway. . .

also, rookie marcus bernard was described as a "revelation" for the ability to generate pressure that he showed late in the year. . . they also spent a 2nd round pick on pass rusher david veikune from hawaii last year. . . no doubt doom would still be a serious upgrade from those guys, but it's not a position they're looking to address at this point-- they need serious help at pretty much all of the offensive skill positions, and maybe even worse in the secondary. . .

if anything, i'd say they're much more likely to make a move for marshall than doom, but i really don't see that happening either. . . i'm sure they will look carefully at the RFA market, but any move that invloves giving up their #7 overall pick just seems really unlikely IMO. . . i wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them wheel and deal and maybe try to trade for an RFA or two, but i would be really surprised if they made any moves that involve giving up that pick. . .

Lancane
03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
really doubt it. . .

cleveland was in the league's top ten in sacks last year with 40, and wimbley only had 6.5 of those. . . while over just the last 6 weeks of the season, matt roth had 4 and marcus bernard had 3.5. . . roth was a waiver wire steal-- a former 2nd round pick who was touted as a high-motor pass rusher, he had an up and down first four seasons with miami. . . roth always flashed but struggled with inconsistency and minor injuries. . . miami let him go because of some conflict with the coaching staff, and his strong play down the stretch sparked cleveland's pass rush, and is probably one of the reasons they were willing to let wimbley go-- dude was an underachiever anyway. . .

also, rookie marcus bernard was described as a "revelation" for the ability to generate pressure that he showed late in the year. . . they also spent a 2nd round pick on pass rusher david veikune from hawaii last year. . . no doubt doom would still be a serious upgrade from those guys, but it's not a position they're looking to address at this point-- they need serious help at pretty much all of the offensive skill positions, and maybe even worse in the secondary. . .

if anything, i'd say they're much more likely to make a move for marshall than doom, but i really don't see that happening either. . . i'm sure they will look carefully at the RFA market, but any move that invloves giving up their #7 overall pick just seems really unlikely IMO. . . i wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them wheel and deal and maybe try to trade for an RFA or two, but i would be really surprised if they made any moves that involve giving up that pick. . .

Some of the Cleveland fandom believes that they will either take Haden or Bryant with their first pick. Some have expressed that instead they should use it to get Marshall, and it is a need. Especially with the iffy quarterback situation they currently have...we know Holmgren is not high on Clausen, and is far more likely to take Tebow in the second. So I could see them making a move on Marshall, which does make more sense compared to Dumervil.

T.K.O.
03-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I would not be surprised if Dumervil was signed by the Browns, they have a need to improve and getting the 2009 NFL sack leader would really help boost fan confidence on a team that has thus far had nothing short of a dissapointing off-season. But will the Broncos match the offer? I don't believe they would...not that it is a financial issue, but McDaniels is from the Belichick tree, and they seem to believe that all talent can be replaced...well give at quarterback! - Too bad McDaniels did not learn that tid-bit.

i just don't understand why the broncos did'nt hire you instead of that retard we have as a hc ? he could screw up a wet dream and you have all the answers.
i bet your right he would rather see the browns improve than the broncos keep a playmaker....whoever that playmaker may be.....:beer::elefant:

dogfish
03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
i just don't understand why the broncos did'nt hire you instead of that retard we have as a hc ? he could screw up a wet dream and you have all the answers.
i bet your right he would rather see the browns improve than the broncos keep a playmaker....whoever that playmaker may be.....:beer::elefant:
sorry mods i have to bite trolls once in a while

yea, that third-rate sarcasm was really stinging. . . . :lol:

i just hope cane doesn't flee the board in pain and confusion after that mauling. . .

Ravage!!!
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
yea, that third-rate sarcasm was really stinging. . . . :lol:

i just hope cane doesn't flee the board in pain and confusion after that mauling. . .

YEah... cause 'cane is SUCH a huge troll..... its all that self-thinking opinions he has that gives him away :lol:

WARHORSE
03-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Do you intentionally make your thread titles misleading? Jesus Jones.

Yeah.

Its my sole purpose for living.

:rolleyes:

WARHORSE
03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
really doubt it. . .

Roth a waiver wire steal?

4 sacks......no tackles.

WOW!
;)

Wimbley had 69 tackles and a number of FF to go with those sacks.
NO COMPARISON. And there is no one on that roster, other than Wimbley, that would even post consideration for gameplanning by opposing offenses.

I understand the need for playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, and I dont discount those possibilities.

But look at the moves they made, and how they played the last few games of the season.

They won all of their last four games, and they did it rushing the ball and defense.

So they bring in the veteran QB to 'manage' the game. That doesnt tell me they plan on lighting it up in the air. They have the best Wildcat player in the league in Cribbs.

They have generated HUGE numbers on the ground.

Now why wouldnt someone think they might be intrested in aquiring a top notch pass rusher to go with a defense stingy against the run and coming into its own?

Looking at their team, if you want to win NOW, then you try to take that defense to another level.

They crushed the Steelers defensively, and you know that has to have them happy.

Delhomme to Marshall can be defended.

Add Doom to their defense, with Rogers coming back..............possibly very, very good.

T.K.O.
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM

if this is truly sarcasm...it's a poor attempt.
i think it goes along with almost every mcD hate post ive read and i doubt it was intended sarcastically.
i dont care either way.....we are keeping doom
and yes attempt to turn a speculative article about the browns possibly trading a 3rd rnd pick into bashing our coach about possible or previous moves is "trolling" in every sense of the word.

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
For a 1 and a 3 no one is not expendable.

Especially a 7 and a 71 choice that 7 or or 11 could be palayed into a couple of 2's(2010 and 11) or a 2 and a 3. Maybe even a later 1 and a later 2.

Take those all day. And laugh all the way to the bank and war room.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Lancane
03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
sorry mods i have to bite trolls once in a while

And just because I am of my own opinion and state as much, one that I see as feesable, does not make me or others who are of the same opinion as trolls... I'm a fan, just like you...well, smart enough to know when to shut up, ...but a fan none the less. And so you assert that I'm nothing more then a troll because I believe our head coach is a head case who is just overflowing with arrogance that makes me less then you...that's rich. Especially when he is the laughing stock of the league for the little he has done and his questionable actions, that I remind you is a widely accepted view of him with many others, including those who work for certain media outlets!

Well, I thank you for your opinion of me...though in truth I really don't give a damn.

:coffee:

Timmy!
03-23-2010, 09:08 PM
:pissing match:

WARHORSE
03-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Dont know why speculation about what your team may be involved with has to be a lightning rod for complaining or hate or whatever.

Its just football.

Its just the offseason.

Of course this is all speculation. Simply said, if a person doesnt like to speculate or discuss certain possibilities, why not just exert the effort of your index finger enough to generate a click from your mouse, and move on?

That way you dont have to waste your time, nor ours.

And Im not aiming this post at anyone, Im just sayin it makes more sense.

PEACE!!!!:beer:

rcsodak
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
And just because I am of my own opinion and state as much, one that I see as feesable, does not make me or others who are of the same opinion as trolls... I'm a fan, just like you...well, smart enough to know when to shut up, ...but a fan none the less. And so you assert that I'm nothing more then a troll because I believe our head coach is a head case who is just overflowing with arrogance that makes me less then you...that's rich. Especially when he is the laughing stock of the league for the little he has done and his questionable actions, that I remind you is a widely accepted view of him with many others, including those who work for certain media outlets!

Well, I thank you for your opinion of me...though in truth I really don't give a damn.

:coffee:

Actually, cane, MANY on Sirius NFL, both ex-FO and ex-players, are LAUDING McD's offseason choices last year, and especially this year. They think he's been hitting homeruns with his FA's, up-to and including getting Quinn on the cheap.

I'm even including some of them that have derided him for past actions.

Maybe you're just too jaded to hear 'the other "media outlets"'? :confused:

rcsodak
03-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I keep hoping I'll hear of a team giving up a #2 for Shefler.:tsk:

Italianmobstr7
03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Dont know why speculation about what your team may be involved with has to be a lightning rod for complaining or hate or whatever.

Its just football.

Its just the offseason.

Of course this is all speculation. Simply said, if a person doesnt like to speculate or discuss certain possibilities, why not just exert the effort of your index finger enough to generate a click from your mouse, and move on?

That way you dont have to waste your time, nor ours.

And Im not aiming this post at anyone, Im just sayin it makes more sense.

PEACE!!!!:beer:

The problem I have is in the bold. We're not involved in anything concerning the Browns right now. This was literally made up out of thin air. I've always got along fine with you War, and I respect you as a poster but this literally has NOTHING to do with the Broncos. The Browns aren't giving up a 1st and a 3rd for Elvis Dumervil, and I honestly think that even if they did, Denver would match the offer. Why give up a proven pass rusher for a couple picks that could be busts? Makes no sense. You basically took an article about the Browns and just somehow came up with the possibility of them signing Dumervil? The article was about them possibly signing Rob Sims from the Seahawks. NOTHING to do with the Broncos. I guess I'm just a little confused by the point of the post is all.

frauschieze
03-23-2010, 11:23 PM
The problem I have is in the bold. We're not involved in anything concerning the Browns right now. This was literally made up out of thin air. I've always got along fine with you War, and I respect you as a poster but this literally has NOTHING to do with the Broncos. The Browns aren't giving up a 1st and a 3rd for Elvis Dumervil, and I honestly think that even if they did, Denver would match the offer. Why give up a proven pass rusher for a couple picks that could be busts? Makes no sense. You basically took an article about the Browns and just somehow came up with the possibility of them signing Dumervil? The article was about them possibly signing Rob Sims from the Seahawks. NOTHING to do with the Broncos. I guess I'm just a little confused by the point of the post is all.

Ummm....it's the offseason, nothing is going on?. A team has pretty well clearly stated they are planning on making a trade. Why not speculate on if that trade might be with the Broncos? It's not like there's a bunch of other things going on here. In Broncos news today.....Kuper is going to (but hasn't yet) sign his tender and Shanny and McD met. And that's a big news day for this time of year.

Ziggy
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Kuper has signed his tender. I'd love to see him re-signed to a 3 or 4 year contract.

topscribe
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Kuper has signed his tender. I'd love to see him re-signed to a 3 or 4 year contract.

Wow, where did that come from?

A peaceful post out of the blue . . . :shocked:

-----

Italianmobstr7
03-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Ummm....it's the offseason, nothing is going on?. A team has pretty well clearly stated they are planning on making a trade. Why not speculate on if that trade might be with the Broncos? It's not like there's a bunch of other things going on here. In Broncos news today.....Kuper is going to (but hasn't yet) sign his tender and Shanny and McD met. And that's a big news day for this time of year.

Because in no way, shape or form does this have to do with the BRONCOS... It's about the Browns possibly trading with the Seahawks for Rob Sims. There's nothing to speculate, it was just made up out of thin air by the OP. I'm not bashing the thread, I'm just saying I understand why other people think it's a dumb, trolling type of thread (although I don't think it's trolling, that's a bit extreme). It literally doesn't even mention the Broncos. It's just a guy saying that he thinks that possibly the Browns will throw a 1st and a 3rd our way.

While we're on the subject, I'm going to speculate that we're going to trade a 1st and a 3rd for Miles Austin. I mean, I know there's nothing in any way pointing towards that, but it's just a gut feeling... :coffee:

WARHORSE
03-24-2010, 02:46 AM

Youre too tense there, IM.

Maybe you need some Hawaiian sun or sumthin.

Let me guess.......you live in.........Mud Tuck Oklahoma?

Look up 'speculation' in the dictionary.

Take a deep breath........reeeeeeaaach for the mouse........then click.

WARHORSE
03-24-2010, 02:52 AM
Because in no way, shape or form does this have to do with the BRONCOS... It's about the Browns possibly trading with the Seahawks for Rob Sims. There's nothing to speculate, it was just made up out of thin air by the OP. I'm not bashing the thread, I'm just saying I understand why other people think it's a dumb, trolling type of thread (although I don't think it's trolling, that's a bit extreme). It literally doesn't even mention the Broncos. It's just a guy saying that he thinks that possibly the Browns will throw a 1st and a 3rd our way.

While we're on the subject, I'm going to speculate that we're going to trade a 1st and a 3rd for Miles Austin. I mean, I know there's nothing in any way pointing towards that, but it's just a gut feeling... :coffee:

I hate to tell you this, but trading for Rob Sims is...........drum roll.............speculation on the part of Mike Florio.

In fact, MOST of what you read in the sports media day in and day out is.......thats right....our favorite word again.....SPECULATION.

My suggestion is this: Find some shade. Find a comfortable chair. Take a crack or two of your favorite cold beverage that causes your muscles to relax............Then sit down and kick it with yourself.:beer:

OR.................you can kick rock.:D

BigBroncLove
03-24-2010, 06:31 AM
I hate to tell you this, but trading for Rob Sims is...........drum roll.............speculation on the part of Mike Florio.

In fact, MOST of what you read in the sports media day in and day out is.......thats right....our favorite word again.....SPECULATION.

My suggestion is this: Find some shade. Find a comfortable chair. Take a crack or two of your favorite cold beverage that causes your muscles to relax............Then sit down and kick it with yourself.:beer:

OR.................you can kick rock.:D

I gotta admit that I agree. Take the draft for example. Can you think of anything else that is derived from pure speculation? I really can't. Sure you can look at what players the teams are meeting with, or the pro-days they are going to, the need and everything else. However whens the last time you ever heard of any team coming out before the draft and saying, "this is our guy 100%" outside of perhaps the #1 overall spot? (if then). Mostly everything revolving the Draft is an educated guess.

I don't think it's wrong to disagree with someones point of view when it comes to speculating on off season moves, but I think it's wrong to shoot it down for the pure sake that it is speculation (or to do it with snide remarks... not that I saw any here). FTR I don't think Dumervil is going anywhere.

Personally I prefer talking straight hard football, match ups with opposing teams, implementation of system on the field, and unit/player production. The tangibles of football. Everyone has their love though. Some guys love this time before the draft more than regular season because they feel they are usually right.

Honestly though anything in the media or otherwise about football generally (but not always) falls in three categories at this time of year. Speculation, hype, or down right reaching for a story. I say talk the good talk, pro or con, this time of year. As always though pop open a beer (except now, its 5am) and keep the response in perspective :beer:.

Just my two cents.

As always, you stay classy Bronco Forums.
http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/22814-ron_burgundy.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
03-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Reach

WARHORSE
03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Reach

For the skies............

WARHORSE
03-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Read this from Mangina first:

Mangini says more trades could be coming

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2010 12:02 PM ET
The Browns recently picked up another third-round pick, in exchange for former first-rounder Kamerion Wimbley.

But they might not be keeping it.

According to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, coach Eric Mangini said that the Wimbley trade was made due in part to an opportunity for another transaction.

"A little bit of this was done in anticipation of being able to get some other things done that will involve draft picks," Mangini said.

The Browns, who in past years traded away their picks before draft day or traded down through the rounds, hold five of the first 87 selections.

It could mean that the Browns are considering making a move on one or more restricted free agents, either via signing them to an offer sheet or trading for them. One distinct possibility in this regard is Seattle guard Rob Sims, who widely is believed to be on his way out in Seattle.

There's also a chance that the Browns will keep the picks, and use them. "Until it's done, you can't guarantee it," Mangini said. "But it gives us flexibility if we want to do that. If not, then you get another third-round draft pick, which is really a good spot to draft, whether we want to address the secondary or someplace else."

After reading the quotes, we're starting to wonder whether an Eric Mangini impersonator has infiltrated the annual league meetings. The Eric Mangini who has served as a head coach for four NFL seasons has been tight-lipped throughout his tenure.

So what gives? His new boss, Mike Holmgren, apparently has advised him that there's no benefit in following a strict policy of silence.

These are the key words.

They want to accomplish another trade with someone..............

We ARE a possibility, no?

In fact, Id say that we are on the higher end of speculation probability, due to the fact that we have more desirable RFAs than any other team out there, bar none.

Not even close.:D