View Full Version : McDaniels: 'No question' Orton the Broncos' No. 1

T.K.O.
03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
McDaniels: 'No question' Orton the Broncos' No. 1
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/22/2010 04:40:46 PM MDT
Updated: 03/22/2010 05:51:08 PM MDT

(Cyrus McCrimmon, The Denver Post)ORLANDO, FLA. — This time from the coach's mouth.

The only mouth at Dove Valley worth listening to when deciding who will be the Broncos' starting quarterback in 2010.

Although the Broncos just completed a trade for Brady Quinn, will Kyle Orton remain the starter?

"Yep. No question," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said here Monday at the NFL meetings. "He's earned it. He's a guy who made the most of an opportunity he was given last year. He still hasn't been in our system for a calendar year. Year two, I anticipate he will know more, he'll be more comfortable in a system.

"Kyle started all but one game for us last year and he's got the respect of his teammates and coaches and we look forward to him

Fans, sign up now for Broncos Premium, our website offering don't-miss news, analysis and features only available to registered users. It's free!

improving. Now Brady's here competing and as always players determine their roles play by what they do on the field."

Besides Quinn, the Broncos also rebuilt their defensive line. The new starters are Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams and Jarvis Green while former starters Ryan McBean, Ronnie Fields, Le Kevin Smith and Marcus Thomas fortify the depth.

"One of the things we wanted to make a focal point was to improve our size and we want to be a physical football team," McDaniels said. "And obviously it's important to have that type of line offensively and defensively to be able to establish that type of play."

Another big offseason issue for the Broncos is receiver Brandon Marshall. He's a restricted free agent who three weeks ago was given a first-round tender with a $2.5 million salary. After Marshall held out in protest of the $2.2 million salary last season, expectations are he'll play elsewhere this year.

"It's not in our hands," McDaniels said. "We tendered all of our restricted free agents. And we're still in the process of letting that play out."

There remains the possibility of the Broncos eventually signing Marshall and another restricted free agent, tight end Tony Scheffler, to their tenders and then trading them.

The Broncos other restricted free agents are Elvis Dumvervil, who is coming off an NFL-leading 17-sack season, Chris Kuper, a two-year starter at right guard, and Orton. Only Orton has been participating in the team's offseason conditioning program.

McDaniels said he's not concerned about the offseason absences of Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper and Dumvervil.

"Every team is dealing with it," McDaniels said.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14733257#ixzz0ixb2fUzE

Lancane
03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Yep, we're doomed for mediocrity...well at least we have a weaker schedule this up coming season, so Orton can make mediocrity look good, then his fandom can claim he is elite...

:coffee:

TXBRONC
03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Yep, we're doomed for mediocrity...well at least we have a weaker schedule this up coming season, so Orton can make mediocrity look good, then his fandom can claim he is elite...

:coffee:

Well if he's sold like TKO is trying say then were is the contract extension?

dogfish
03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
JMFMCD FTMFW

yea boy-eee. . . .

topscribe
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Oh, I didn't notice . . . did TKO write that article?

-----

Lancane
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM

He'll probably get it once McDaniels finally get's Bowlen to believe that gold comes from Orton's ass. So likely right after the draft, after he trades Marshall and possibly Dumervil for more draft picks, since Bowlen seems to believe in McDaniels so highly it is very likely to happen.

T.K.O.
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
mcD has never said orton would start beyond 2010.....right?
get it now?:beer:

Timmy!
03-22-2010, 09:30 PM
JMFMCD FTMFW

yea boy-eee. . . .

:rofl:

Viva la neckbeard!

Shazam!
03-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I believe they said the same thing about Jake Plummer in 2006... until Game 12.

dogfish
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
:rofl:

Viva la neckbeard!

yep, that's what i'm talkin' about. . .

Northman
03-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Of Course Kyle will start the season. Now, whether he finishes it or not is something else.

Dirk
03-23-2010, 05:21 AM
I just don't understand it.

Orton who many think is just mediocre came into Denver last year, with everything NEW on his plate. Coaches, system, players etc.

I think he did pretty damn good for all things considered.

Let the guy have another year before hanging him up with his cleats.

Nomad
03-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I just don't understand it.

Orton who many think is just mediocre came into Denver last year, with everything NEW on his plate. Coaches, system, players etc.

I think he did pretty damn good for all things considered.

Let the guy have another year before hanging him up with his cleats.

Yeah, Orton has made me frustrated at times but overall he did a pretty good job especially his mobility and pocket awareness (I understand he had an injury so it's a legit excuse and the oline sucked after the bye)! Now I remember plenty of times saying effing Elway or effing Plummer because of their mistakes, but I'm willing to give Orton a chance.

With this said, if Quinn is playing lights out in preseason and at TC and orton is struggling, then you'd have to go with the hot hand. I'd be disappointed with McD if he didn't!

claymore
03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Orton might not even be on our roster in September. This dont mean Shitite.

SOCALORADO.
03-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Qwinn will start week 1.

broncofaninfla
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Orton might not even be on our roster in September. This dont mean Shitite.

Agreed, if I've learned one thing about Mcd is you cant trust anything that comes out of his mouth. No matter what Mcd says now, given Ortons less than spectacular year, Quinn will provide competition for the starting QB. If Mcd says it openly he has a full blown QB conterversy on his hands.

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
We all know the Josh is like GWB the root of all evil and the players are angels with no issuses.

BTW KO had career highs last year. Playing with a compound dislocated fore finger for the first few games. A high ankle sprain. For the last few games. His top WR and TE not playing at all.

Add to that while playing in a brand new scheme to all players and coaches except for the LS, one RB and the HC.

That is what careers are made of.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

claymore
03-23-2010, 10:20 AM
We all know the Josh is like GWB the root of all evil and the players are angels with no issuses.

BTW KO had career highs last year. Playing with a compound dislocated fore finger for the first few games. A high ankle sprain. For the last few games. His top WR and TE not playing at all.

Add to that while playing in a brand new scheme to all players and coaches except for the LS, one RB and the HC.

That is what careers are made of.

Lipstick on a pig. But a pig is still a pig.

topscribe
03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Lipstick on a pig. But a pig is still a pig.

I cannot understand, Clay, why you are so cynical that you cannot give credit
where credit is due. I always find it very impressive when one performs well
despite facing obstacles and handicaps. What Orton had to deal with was
daunting.

So of what is this lipstick composed?

Smart
Good arm (instead of lipstick, some of you have egg on your faces over this)
Accurate
Better mobility than given credit for
Winning record
Great work ethic
Tough as nails
Persevering
Driven
Natural leader

Hmmm . . . looks like a pretty good brand of lipstick to me . . . :coffee:

-----

honz
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Agreed, if I've learned one thing about Mcd is you cant trust anything that comes out of his mouth. No matter what Mcd says now, given Ortons less than spectacular year, Quinn will provide competition for the starting QB. If Mcd says it openly he has a full blown QB conterversy on his hands.

Don't mean to pick on you, because several people here do it...but I just find it funny that people loved how Shanny would always lie and put up smoke screens and now people rip on McDaniels for doing the same thing. It simply comes with the territory.

claymore
03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I cannot understand, Clay, why you are so cynical that you cannot give credit
where credit is due. I always find it very impressive when one performs well
despite facing obstacles and handicaps. What Orton had to deal with was
daunting.

So of what is this lipstick composed?

Smart
Good arm (instead of lipstick, some of you have egg on your faces over this)
Accurate
Better mobility than given credit for
Winning record
Great work ethic
Tough as nails
Persevering
Driven
Natural leader

Hmmm . . . looks like a pretty good brand of lipstick to me . . . :coffee:

-----
I didnt see the Smart, Good Arm, and Accurate part of Kyle Orton that you did. I watched every Quarter of every game. What I saw was a guy throw short to internmidiate passes to Brandon Marshall. Half of them were innacurate. He was asked to play a certain way and he did.

The winning record thing is old. A QB doesnt win on his own. Its a team sport, and a good team wins together.

I cant get excited about a never will be QB. Im not going to even pretend.

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Great post very logical in your persentation, very true in all regards.

But Top the hate is to strong for whatever the reason.

Many hated Jake and mostly because he was not John reincarnate.

Another QB will always be better than KO. How many folks were lusting after simms and once he was proven a bust then they wanted TB.

Because he is not a rocket arm mullet head. He is a pig with lipstick.

claymore
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM

Another QB will always be better than KO. How many folks were lusting after simms and once he was proven a bust then they wanted TB.

I strongly disliked plummer because of his anger managment issues and his sexual perversions.

I disliked Plummer because he is/was and forever will be a TERRIBLE QB. An above average athelete but a terrible QB.

Made me sick to see such a sick individual in a Broncos uniform.

Ravage!!!
03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
the only handicap and obstacle I've seen Orton play with, is his athletic ability

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I look at it this way. Orton will most likely never be a top 10 QB. if that works for the scheme and system, then fine. But I believe McD knows this as well, otherwise he wouldnt have traded for Quinn. Now, will Quinn ever be a top 10 QB? Who knows. Nothing that happened in Cleveland ever offered him much opportunity to show his abilities. They say Holmgren didnt like what he saw on tape, but if he watched the tape closely...he should probably be tradidng the whole roster.

Worst case, Quinn is an experiment. Maybe he flourishes in Denver...maybe not. Bottom line is this. Support McD or hate him...I think we all know that Orton is NOT the QB of this team for the next 10 years.

topscribe
03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I look at it this way. Orton will most likely never be a top 10 QB. if that works for the scheme and system, then fine. But I believe McD knows this as well, otherwise he wouldnt have traded for Quinn. Now, will Quinn ever be a top 10 QB? Who knows. Nothing that happened in Cleveland ever offered him much opportunity to show his abilities. They say Holmgren didnt like what he saw on tape, but if he watched the tape closely...he should probably be tradidng the whole roster.

Worst case, Quinn is an experiment. Maybe he flourishes in Denver...maybe not. Bottom line is this. Support McD or hate him...I think we all know that Orton is NOT the QB of this team for the next 10 years.

You're right: Orton may never be a top 10 QB. But then, he may. After all, he was
the #14 QB despite playing with serious injuries, in a new system, yada yada
yada . . . as I've pointed out ad nauseam. So I don't know why he should not be
much better this year, as McDaniels pointed out. :whoknows:

-----

topscribe
03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I didnt see the Smart, Good Arm, and Accurate part of Kyle Orton that you did. I watched every Quarter of every game. What I saw was a guy throw short to internmidiate passes to Brandon Marshall. Half of them were innacurate. He was asked to play a certain way and he did.

The winning record thing is old. A QB doesnt win on his own. Its a team sport, and a good team wins together.

I cant get excited about a never will be QB. Im not going to even pretend.

"Smart," "accurate," "good arm" are term McDaniels uses for Orton. And he has
seen every quarter of every game from the sidelines; every minute of every
practice, where he has worked directly with the QBs; and every minute of every
game over his pre-Broncos career.

And the winning thing gets old to those who do not want that brought up
because that is in his favor. It's just like the stats thing: point out stats in
Orton's favor, and we get told that stats mean nothing. Yup, that's why they
keep stats, isn't it? Because it means nothing.

Some of you just doggedly insist that Orton is a bad QB, so much so that you
seem to have your own soap box to preach it. And then I try to convey some
facts that belie your claims, and I'm the one called down for it.

I don't know what it is about you guys: whether it is because Orton's name is
not Elway, or he doesn't have Tom Brady good looks, or the word "Orton" just
doesn't sound right. But you will not acquiesce even to the complimentary
aspects of Orton's play. He's just not good at anything, is he?

I don't know if I even enjoy posting here anymore . . .

-----

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
You're right: Orton may never be a top 10 QB. But then, he may. After all, he was
the #14 QB despite playing with serious injuries, in a new system, yada yada
yada . . . as I've pointed out ad nauseam. So I don't know why he should not be
much better this year, as McDaniels pointed out. :whoknows:

-----

Very valid point. It's just my opinion, but I dont have a ton of faith in him. I would love for him to prove me wrong...but I dont have a good gut feeling. Not much to go on, I know, but I just dont think KO is the guy whose jersey we'll be wearing 5 years from now

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 12:57 PM

because that is in his favor. It's just like the stats thing: point out stats in

-----

Relax. i think it's more middle ground when you get down to it. Is he as horrible as most people play him out to be? Not even close. But there are some that dont like him or McD or anything else, so they'll always find the negatives.

Is KO as good as some others make him out to be? Not even close. But there are some that feel compelled to defend him and McD and everything else, if for no other reason...because they're sick of all the blind negativity. Fair enough.

It's more middle ground. Is KO a serviceable QB with potential to be better? Sure he is. He could also have very well peaked. We'll find out soon enough. personally, I'm ok with the guy...I just dont see him as a franchise QB.

claymore
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM

-----

Settle down Top.

I dont hate Orton. He is a top 20 QB at best. If he is ever more than that it will blow people away. It would be the suprise of the century.

We disagree on Orton. I like him, but hope he is our backup soon.

Ravage!!!
03-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Don't hate him, just don't get excited about him. Doesn't make me turn on the games, BECAUSE of him. I'm not going to brag to anyone that he's our QB... its more like "we have to win despite him." Not the kind of player that makes you want to buy his jersey, because you know he's not going to be around in 2 years. He's just kinda... there. Blah at best. You root for him because he's wearing the right jersey, but that doesn't mean you don't wish you had someone better playing his position.

He's just kind of one of those :shrug: type of players. Like "eh"....

claymore
03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Don't hate him, just don't get excited about him. Doesn't make me turn on the games, BECAUSE of him. I'm not going to brag to anyone that he's our QB... its more like "we have to win despite him." Not the kind of player that makes you want to buy his jersey, because you know he's not going to be around in 2 years. He's just kinda... there. Blah at best. You root for him because he's wearing the right jersey, but that doesn't mean you don't wish you had someone better playing his position.

He's just kind of one of those :shrug: type of players. Like "eh"....

He is the Macaroni salad at a barbecue. Its there, it aint great, but its free, and its filling.

Ravage!!!
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
He is the Macaroni salad at a barbecue. Its there, it aint great, but its free, and its filling.

EXACTLY!!! :beer:

dogfish
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
LMAO

let's see that macaroni salad drill a sweet two-yard bubble screen. . . .

claymore
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
LMAO

I want a steak that can throw a hot dog 60 yards on a rope. :drool:

TXBRONC
03-23-2010, 01:56 PM
LMAO

Do you want to see that with the right hand or the left hand? :heh:

Lancane
03-23-2010, 02:05 PM

It's not hate, I mentioned this many times before...we're spoiled on this I agree, but it is rather rare for a quarterback to come to a new city, be a starter and be accepted by the masses. Brees when he went to New Orleans was not accepted right away, but at least he had the ability to be elite and has become so. It's harder for a team to accept someone like Orton who is nothing more then a semi-talented journeyman. Most fandoms want their respective teams to draft someone, someone that will become a franchise quarterback, they don't want someone with years in the league that is not really their own. I know several fans in Minnesota who were pissed they got Farve. You should hear what Seattle and Cleveland fans are saying. Orton will never be fully accepted...

As to your point of Jake Plummer, some of the same said rules apply to him...but he was closer to that then any other quarterback here, being accepted that is. But from a talent standpoint, even though I hated him...I would trade Orton for Plummer in a damned heartbeat!

broncofaninfla
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't mean to pick on you, because several people here do it...but I just find it funny that people loved how Shanny would always lie and put up smoke screens and now people rip on McDaniels for doing the same thing. It simply comes with the territory.

Honestly every NFL coach is guilty of lying pubically at times, I just happen to feel Mcd does it more than others and at the wrong times. My point in this was Mcd is going to make the decision that is best for the team for game 1. If it was Brady or Farve as the starter it would be a no brainer that they would be starter but it isn't it's Kyle Orton. While not likely it's concieveble that Quinn could beat him out. To say Orton is 100% our starter this early in the 2010 campaign, I feel is his way of heading off any QB contervesry going into camp. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to get another "Brian Griese" type starting QB surprise announcement goig into week #1 if Quinn comes out looking like the better QB option. It's not that I think Quinn is all that, I don't at all, just not sold on Orton based on his 2009 performance. I do feel Orton will be better this year though and Quinn will have to be at the top of his game to dethrone Orton....

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 04:00 PM
It is wonderful to get a "franchise" QB in the draft but for the most part they are top 5 maybe 10 picks. If not top 3 picks.

While I would love to have a Sanchez, Ben, manning (either but Peyton would be my choice) I'm not ready to go 1-15 to get one nor am I ready to go for the most part 4-12 for a couple of years before they develope.

I'll take someone elses hand me down like brees or farve in a heart beat. Add in a brady just to prove you do not have to draft one nd laugh all the way to the playoffs.

When I have a dislike for someone I have a good reason, not just a macaroni salad feeling. :laugh:

Not all "franchise" QB have to have a Cannon arm like jay had, in fact I think he is just as likely to be a FQB and he is to be a coach killer like jeff george.

topscribe
03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Settle down Top.

I dont hate Orton. He is a top 20 QB at best. If he is ever more than that it will blow people away. It would be the suprise of the century.

We disagree on Orton. I like him, but hope he is our backup soon.

You know I had an experience just a little while ago that I find hilarious.

Just after my last post, I went with my daughter to a Chinese restaurant. After
the meal, we got the perfunctory fortune cookies with the bill. Mine said:

"Avoid senseless contradictions with others."

Now, I'm not into this fortune stuff or any of that superstition. But this . . . ROTF!! :lol:

-----

dunk7
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I had a similar experience...I had some orange Koolaid but after I was done, I still believed Orton sucks.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Honestly every NFL coach is guilty of lying pubically at times, I just happen to feel Mcd does it more than others and at the wrong times. My point in this was Mcd is going to make the decision that is best for the team for game 1. If it was Brady or Farve as the starter it would be a no brainer that they would be starter but it isn't it's Kyle Orton. While not likely it's concieveble that Quinn could beat him out. To say Orton is 100% our starter this early in the 2010 campaign, I feel is his way of heading off any QB contervesry going into camp. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to get another "Brian Griese" type starting QB surprise announcement goig into week #1 if Quinn comes out looking like the better QB option. It's not that I think Quinn is all that, I don't at all, just not sold on Orton based on his 2009 performance. I do feel Orton will be better this year though and Quinn will have to be at the top of his game to dethrone Orton....

Exactly what was the lie? Orton started and finished last season as the starting quarterback - there have been no training camps - no preseason or regular season games yet - so, of course he is the starting quarterback AT THIS TIME. Does anyone REALLY think that if Brady looks better than Orton in training camp, and in preseason games, that Orton will STILL be the starting QB when the regular season starts??????

Lancane
03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Exactly what was the lie? Orton started and finished last season as the starting quarterback - there have been no training camps - no preseason or regular season games yet - so, of course he is the starting quarterback AT THIS TIME. Does anyone REALLY think that if Brady looks better than Orton in training camp, and in preseason games, that Orton will STILL be the starting QB when the regular season starts??????

Yes...

Simply put some of us are not naive, McDaniels is in all honesty both egotistical and contemptuous. He has not been proven otherwise with anything he has done yet. I do believe that he would start Orton over Quinn, even if Quinn was better...why? Because he wants to prove that it is he and not the talent on the roster that make us win.

topscribe
03-23-2010, 05:50 PM

I guess those of us who refuse to believe that Orton "sucks" and that McD is a
horse's ass are just naive. It seems there are people who take the cynical view
on just about everyone else . . .

-----

broncobryce
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I want a steak that can throw a hot dog 60 yards on a rope. :drool:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Brady Quinn!:lol:

dogfish
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
You know I had an experience just a little while ago that I find hilarious.

Just after my last post, I went with my daughter to a Chinese restaurant. After
the meal, we got the perfunctory fortune cookies with the bill. Mine said:

"Avoid senseless contradictions with others."

Now, I'm not into this fortune stuff or any of that superstition. But this . . . ROTF!! :lol:

-----

and maybe if it had said "avoid contradictions with senseless others," you could actually assume that it meant clay and i. . . .

dunk7
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes...

Simply put some of us are not naive, McDaniels is in all honesty both egotistical and contemptuous. He has not been proven otherwise with anything he has done yet. I do believe that he would start Orton over Quinn, even if Quinn was better...why? Because he wants to prove that it is he and not the talent on the roster that make us win.

DING DING DING...We have a winner...Couldn't agree more. As long as McD is coach, Orton will be our starter no matter what talent is on our roster. I think he wants to prove that every decision he's made has been perfect. I wouldn't be shocked to see Alphono "Webster" Smith, start at corner this year.

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Silly Bovine Excretment being posted.

Josh is going to play who he believes will win for him.

He would not have traded for either KO or BQ if he did not think they could be an upgrade.

topscribe
03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
and maybe if it had said "avoid contradictions with senseless others," you could actually assume that it meant clay and i. . . .

I took it generically, as in senseless going both ways . . .

-----

TXBRONC
03-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Probably not, however if McDaniels did decide to hold off starting Quinn even if is the better quarterback he would not be the first coach to do so. Remember when Jimmy Johnson traded Hershel Walker for all those picks and a few players from the Vikings? Getting those picks was conditional upon Johnson playing those guys that he got from the Vikings. Those players didn't play at all so that Johnson could exercise his option of getting the drafts from the Vikings. Years later Johnson said the players he got from the Vikings were clearly better than ones he had on his roster at the time of the trade but he didn't start those players he got in the trade so that he could get the picks.

If I'm not mistake if Quinn starts we give up the 6th round pick and a conditional pick (Is that right guys?). If he doesn't we only give up the 6th rounder. I'm not saying he will do that nor am I criticizing if he does I'm just saying it wouldn't be the first that something like that happened.

broncofaninfla
03-24-2010, 07:31 AM

I think you misunderstood my post. Here's an article form the Denver Post that does a better job of explaining my point.

Krieger: Seeing through McD's bluff

By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/24/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0720/20090720__Jmcdaniels072009a~p1_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2927126 ) Broncos coach Josh McDaniels (Denver Post file photo)

It is not exactly breaking news that you can't believe everything a football coach says publicly. This was true before Josh McDaniels was born, and it's still true now that he's coach of the Broncos.
In fact, he might have reminded you when he showered praise on quarterback Chris Simms at the NFL combine just a couple of weeks before releasing him. It wasn't just that he complimented Simms' work ethic, which is the equivalent of a letter of recommendation. He also said this:
"We wouldn't have Chris there if we didn't feel good about him having an opportunity to play and win games with us."
Either he changed his mind on the plane ride home from Indianapolis or this was a smoke screen at the time.
So, when McDaniels said repeatedly Tuesday at the NFL owners' meetings that the Brandon Marshall situation is "out of our hands," you are well-advised not to take him literally. In fact, you are well-advised not to take him figuratively, either.
Marshall's future is only out of the Broncos' hands if they want it to be, and even then, not for long.
If McDaniels wants to move Marshall, and that's still the way to bet, he could be negotiating with interested teams right now. The rules permit him to make a deal in the same way that San Diego and Seattle just made one for quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, like Marshall, a restricted free agent.
The Chargers did not get the third-round draft choice called for as compensation by their contract tender, at least in part because Seattle didn't have one. Instead, they agreed to accept a third-round choice next year and exchange second-round picks with the Seahawks this year.
Similarly, if the Broncos wanted to deal Marshall badly enough, they could entertain trade offers of less than the first-round draft choice required as compensation by their contract tender. Based on the fact that no team has signed Marshall to an offer sheet since the market opened nearly three weeks ago, it is fair to question whether any team will.
By claiming the situation is out of his hands, McDaniels may be signaling that he has no intention of accepting lesser compensation for Marshall. On the other hand, he may be bluffing, hoping to persuade any interested teams that an offer sheet is the only way to get the Pro Bowl receiver.
If it's a bluff, it's a tough sell, given McDaniels' public differences with Marshall. And besides, it's good for only another 22 days. April 15 is the deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets. After that, the player's rights revert to his former team, even if he hasn't signed its contract tender, as Marshall hasn't.
From then on through the first six weeks of the regular season, the Broncos can still work out a sign-and-trade for Marshall with another team. But the offer sheet option — and the first-round draft pick compensation that it carries — goes away on Tax Day.
In the absence of another suitor, the Seahawks, who brought Marshall in for a visit, have no reason to sign him to a sheet that would cost them the sixth overall pick in the draft. Even though Marshall is a sure thing, a 100-catch receiver three years running, and the sixth pick is not, Seattle isn't giving up more than it has to.
John Schneider, the Seahawks' new general manager, has kicked the tires on a number of free agents since March 5 without making offers. Marshall is only one of them. But Schneider still needs a starting wideout. The Seahawks lost Nate Burleson to Detroit through free agency and now list second-year player Deon Butler, with 15 NFL catches, as the starter opposite T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
In other words, Schneider is likely biding his time, knowing that if another team doesn't rush in before April 15, he might be in a position to acquire Marshall at a bargain price, assuming the Broncos are determined to move him.
McDaniels would certainly like it to be out of his hands because that would mean somebody signs Marshall to an offer sheet and the Broncos get a first-round pick in compensation. But if Seattle continues to play the waiting game and no other team jumps into the mix, Marshall will be right back in McDaniels' hands come Tax Day. Sort of like a refund.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14744694#ixzz0j62ritqJ (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14744694#ixzz0j62ritqJ)

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I think you misunderstood my post. Here's an article form the Denver Post that does a better job of explaining my point.

Krieger: Seeing through McD's bluff

By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/24/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0720/20090720__Jmcdaniels072009a~p1_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2927126 ) Broncos coach Josh McDaniels (Denver Post file photo)

It is not exactly breaking news that you can't believe everything a football coach says publicly. This was true before Josh McDaniels was born, and it's still true now that he's coach of the Broncos.
In fact, he might have reminded you when he showered praise on quarterback Chris Simms at the NFL combine just a couple of weeks before releasing him. It wasn't just that he complimented Simms' work ethic, which is the equivalent of a letter of recommendation. He also said this:
"We wouldn't have Chris there if we didn't feel good about him having an opportunity to play and win games with us."
Either he changed his mind on the plane ride home from Indianapolis or this was a smoke screen at the time.
So, when McDaniels said repeatedly Tuesday at the NFL owners' meetings that the Brandon Marshall situation is "out of our hands," you are well-advised not to take him literally. In fact, you are well-advised not to take him figuratively, either.
Marshall's future is only out of the Broncos' hands if they want it to be, and even then, not for long.
If McDaniels wants to move Marshall, and that's still the way to bet, he could be negotiating with interested teams right now. The rules permit him to make a deal in the same way that San Diego and Seattle just made one for quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, like Marshall, a restricted free agent.
The Chargers did not get the third-round draft choice called for as compensation by their contract tender, at least in part because Seattle didn't have one. Instead, they agreed to accept a third-round choice next year and exchange second-round picks with the Seahawks this year.
Similarly, if the Broncos wanted to deal Marshall badly enough, they could entertain trade offers of less than the first-round draft choice required as compensation by their contract tender. Based on the fact that no team has signed Marshall to an offer sheet since the market opened nearly three weeks ago, it is fair to question whether any team will.
By claiming the situation is out of his hands, McDaniels may be signaling that he has no intention of accepting lesser compensation for Marshall. On the other hand, he may be bluffing, hoping to persuade any interested teams that an offer sheet is the only way to get the Pro Bowl receiver.
If it's a bluff, it's a tough sell, given McDaniels' public differences with Marshall. And besides, it's good for only another 22 days. April 15 is the deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets. After that, the player's rights revert to his former team, even if he hasn't signed its contract tender, as Marshall hasn't.
From then on through the first six weeks of the regular season, the Broncos can still work out a sign-and-trade for Marshall with another team. But the offer sheet option — and the first-round draft pick compensation that it carries — goes away on Tax Day.
In the absence of another suitor, the Seahawks, who brought Marshall in for a visit, have no reason to sign him to a sheet that would cost them the sixth overall pick in the draft. Even though Marshall is a sure thing, a 100-catch receiver three years running, and the sixth pick is not, Seattle isn't giving up more than it has to.
John Schneider, the Seahawks' new general manager, has kicked the tires on a number of free agents since March 5 without making offers. Marshall is only one of them. But Schneider still needs a starting wideout. The Seahawks lost Nate Burleson to Detroit through free agency and now list second-year player Deon Butler, with 15 NFL catches, as the starter opposite T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
In other words, Schneider is likely biding his time, knowing that if another team doesn't rush in before April 15, he might be in a position to acquire Marshall at a bargain price, assuming the Broncos are determined to move him.
McDaniels would certainly like it to be out of his hands because that would mean somebody signs Marshall to an offer sheet and the Broncos get a first-round pick in compensation. But if Seattle continues to play the waiting game and no other team jumps into the mix, Marshall will be right back in McDaniels' hands come Tax Day. Sort of like a refund.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14744694#ixzz0j62ritqJ (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14744694#ixzz0j62ritqJ)

People shouldn't get themselves bent out of shape about this like it's some kind of slam. All head coaches do this at various times to cover themselves. It's not a big deal.

broncofaninfla
03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
People shouldn't get themselves bent out of shape about this like it's some kind of slam. All head coaches do this at various times to cover themselves. It's not a big deal.

Agreed! I've said it before, as much bland hate as there is for Mcd there is just as much or much blind love for the guy.

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Agreed! I've said it before, as much bland hate as there is for Mcd there is just as much or much blind love for the guy.

There are things that I have disagreed with what the coach did but there also things that I have agreed with him on.

Nomad
03-24-2010, 09:09 AM

I wouldn't call it blind love as much as wanting to give the guy a chance to run his own team plus he was new to being a head coach (maybe there are few fans like that)! Most people who dislike him is because of the Cutler thing, which I applaud him for getting rid of his ass! I believe the advocators for McDaniels have been just as critical (especially his drafting and some personnel moves) but not in every damn move he makes. The funny hypocritical thing I find is fans are willing to give certain players years to develop but expect a rookie HC to work miracles in one year when developing his team and expect his rookie class to work miracles as well! I call that blind hate for a guy without giving him a chance!!

Ravage!!!
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't call it blind love as much as wanting to give the guy a chance to run his own team plus he was new to being a head coach (maybe there are few fans like that)! Most people who dislike him is because of the Cutler thing, which I applaud him for getting rid of his ass! I believe the advocators for McDaniels have been just as critical (especially his drafting and some personnel moves) but not in every damn move he makes. The funny hypocritical thing I find is fans are willing to give certain players years to develop but expect a rookie HC to work miracles in one year when developing his team and expect his rookie class to work miracles as well! I call that blind hate for a guy without giving him a chance!!

So... those that dislike him are blinded by emotion, but those that like him are the "neutral", more logical, of the posters? Okaaaayy. Gotcha. No bias there.

A rookie player is one player on the field (or not on the field, depending on the case), while a rookie HC can devoid your team of its greatest talent in a single season. Normally I expect the HC to be more mature than the players, whether he's a rookie or not. HC rookie mistakes, can hurt your franchise for LONG after he's fired... while a rookie mistake, messes up the play or the game. NFL franchises have the time to allow a rookie player to develop. NFL franchises don't have that kind of time to give the same time of development for a guy in charge of your team, your players, and your draft.

HUGE difference.

claymore
03-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Silly Bovine Excretment being posted.

Josh is going to play who he believes will win for him.

He would not have traded for either KO or BQ if he did not think they could be an upgrade.

I cant believe you are saying that BQ might be an upgrade to KO. I have to be in hell.

SOCALORADO.
03-24-2010, 10:27 AM
I cant believe you are saying that BQ might be an upgrade to KO. I have to be in hell.

QWinn will start week 1. :coffee:..... and yes your in hell..

TXBRONC
03-24-2010, 10:36 AM

I was wondering when you were going to post that Quinn will start week 1. :lol:

claymore
03-24-2010, 10:39 AM

I would love that. We might need to put Tobscribe on a 24 hour watch though.

slim
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Brady has purdy lips.

War neckbeard.

SOCALORADO.
03-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Top is just pissed cause QWinn dissed him.
They were best of friends once..................
http://talleywhackers.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/brady-quinn.jpg

topscribe
03-24-2010, 11:38 AM

I think Krieger is over-analyzing a bit. He tends to do that, though . . .

-----

Lonestar
03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Obviously Josh wanted BQ and now we will see who the better of the two are. I will trust the coaches to make the right decisions.

As for the RFA not getting long term contracts other than perhaps doom IMHO none of them have had a fair enuff shot in the scheme to know for sure whether they are worth Millions of guaranteed money. Perhaps after this coming year we can make inteligent decisions.

Lonestar
03-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Obviously Josh wanted BQ and now we will see who the better of the two are. I will trust the coaches to make the right decisions.

As for the RFA not getting long term contracts other than perhaps doom IMHO none of them have had a fair enuff shot in the scheme to know for sure whether they are worth Millions of guaranteed money. Perhaps after this coming year we can make inteligent decisions.

topscribe
03-25-2010, 10:09 PM

Top is just pissed cause QWinn dissed him.
They were best of friends once..................
http://talleywhackers.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/brady-quinn.jpg

You guys got me all wrong. Doesn't bother me a bit. :coffee:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/MadCat.jpg

-----