PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read: Sims, Spencer May Help Acquire Marshall

BigBroncLove
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
This article is pure conjecture, so please take it as such. Wouldn't usually post this type of stuff.... but its March. Not a lot to talk or analyze. I guess the two questions I have for you all do you think it would happen in the first place, and whether you think its the right move if so. (I deleted some things out of the article that everyone already knows, link is there if you want to read it in it's entirety)

Klis suggests that Marshall won't sign the tender until he's assured that he's being traded, and that the Broncos could take the second of Seattle's two first-round picks for Marshall, or could even take Seattle's second-round pick (now the 60th pick overall) and one of the Seahawks' two fourth-round picks for Marshall.

Another trade possibility is the Seahawks packaging their two restricted free agent interior offensive linemen, together, or separately along with a draft pick, for Marshall.

With the release of Casey Wiegmann, the Broncos are down to Dustin Fry, a 26-year old who has yet to start an NFL game, at center. Seahawks restricted free agent center/guard Chris Spencer's future in Seattle is at guard, but the Broncos may view him as a starting center. Seattle tendered Spencer, the team's first-round pick in 2005, at the "original round" level, but would likely accept a second-round pick for him. Adding a fourth-round pick may be enough to pry Marshall from Denver.

In addition to needing an experienced center, the Broncos lack depth at guard.

Rob Sims, a restricted free agent guard who the Seahawks tendered at the "original round" level (4th round compensation), has been told to stay away from the team's off-season workout program as they try to locate a trade partner. Sims is big, strong, and athletic, and could be a fit in Josh McDaniels' hybrid "Zone/Power" blocking scheme. With a 2010 draft class light on quality interior offensive linemen, Denver may view Sims as an appealing alternative to a fourth-round draft choice, and along with Seattle's second-round pick, may be enough to get a deal done for Marshall.

Where would that leave the Seahawks' interior offensive line?

One of Seattle's two first-round picks will presumably be spent on a left tackle, freeing up either Ray Willis or Sean Locklear to man one of the guard spots. The Seahawks also expressed interest in veteran free agent guards Ben Hamilton and Chester Pitts, two players who have played left guard for Seahawks offensive line coach Alex Gibbs. If the Seahawks are indeed starting a rookie (Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga) at left tackle, Hamilton and Pitts would be ideal, short-term candidates to play between rookie tackle and second-year center Max Unger.

And for as much as former general manager Tim Ruskell ignored the tackle position, he did stockpile the guard position. The Seahawks have Mansfield Wrotto, Trevor Canfield, Mike Gibson, and Steve Vallos for Gibbs, Art Valero, and Luke Butkus to work with.

http://sea.scout.com/2/955752.html

I personally like Spencer and wouldn't mind him being included in the trade personally so long as additional pics are there with him.

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
A mid-round pick and no name OL for a Pro-Bowl WR? I just wasted 3 minutes of my life reading this.

Zweems56
03-23-2010, 07:10 AM
A mid-round pick and no name OL for a Pro-Bowl WR? I just wasted 3 minutes of my life reading this.

3 minutes? Shit coach, you read slowly!

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
3 minutes? Shit coach, you read slowly!

Spent last night with my friend Jack.

BigBroncLove
03-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Tell us how you really feel though.....

Take it for what it's worth. I don't think Spencer is a no name though. Has never surrendered more than 3 sacks in a single season (avg through 5 seasons is 2 sacks). Never high on false starts or holding. Has solid play through his 5 years on a terrible squad. I don't think a 4th rounder tagged onto him would get it done (would prefer higher) but if players are thrown into the mix in the trade from Seattle I do think he's one of the best Seattle would be willing to offer.

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Tell us how you really feel though.....

Take it for what it's worth. I don't think Spencer is a no name though. Has never surrendered more than 3 sacks in a single season (avg through 5 seasons is 2 sacks). Never high on false starts or holding. Has solid play through his 5 years on a terrible squad. I don't think a 4th rounder tagged onto him would get it done (would prefer higher) but if players are thrown into the mix in the trade from Seattle I do think he's one of the best Seattle would be willing to offer.

Give me him and pick #14 and we can at least sit down and talk. But Spencer and a 2nd and we're done?

Next please

BigBroncLove
03-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Give me him and pick #14 and we can at least sit down and talk. But Spencer and a 2nd and we're done?

Next please

Yeah :laugh: lets throw jesus in there too while were at it. I love BM, and Marshall has value, but nearly that much. A 1st round pick Seattle is already on the sidelines over plus a player they plan to start at guard this year? We'll agree to disagree..

SOCALORADO.
03-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Next please

Both Linemen and pick #14.

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah :laugh: lets throw jesus in there too while were at it. I love BM, and Marshall has value, but nearly that much. A 1st round pick Seattle is already on the sidelines over plus a player they plan to start at guard this year? We'll agree to disagree..

St. Louis and Oakland also have players they plan on starting at guard this year...doesnt mean they are worth a damn.

I'm one of the few that is actually willing to give McD more than 1 year to turn things around...but if he dealt Marshall for a guard that "might start for Seattle" and a mid-round pick...I'd be first in line to light him on fire

BigBroncLove
03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
St. Louis and Oakland also have players they plan on starting at guard this year...doesnt mean they are worth a damn.

I'm one of the few that is actually willing to give McD more than 1 year to turn things around...but if he dealt Marshall for a guard that "might start for Seattle" and a mid-round pick...I'd be first in line to light him on fire

Well we all have our preferences. There's a big difference between Spencer and Gallary though, and Spencer will start its just a matter of whether its at Guard or Center. Personally I would prefer to see a first round pick in its own right. If your going to deal a #1 reciever I would hope the Broncos would get a pick they could get a new #1 in return.

This article talks about other possibilities. What I'm saying is that the suggestion of a #14 plus spencer (someone they tendered with a 1st rounder as well, was a 1st round pick in 04, and is a solid power blocking center) is just out of the question regarding what Seattle would accept. I wouldn't mind getting Spencer involved in the trade. Ya disagree.... understandable. I cna't fully disagree with some of your comments (especially about a mid rounder plus Spencer) but I do think Spencer is a better player then you know.

Mike
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Any staff that agrees to what Klis or these yahoos are suggesting should be fired on the spot.

CoachChaz
03-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Well we all have our preferences. There's a big difference between Spencer and Gallary though, and Spencer will start its just a matter of whether its at Guard or Center. Personally I would prefer to see a first round pick in its own right. If your going to deal a #1 reciever I would hope the Broncos would get a pick they could get a new #1 in return.

This article talks about other possibilities. What I'm saying is that the suggestion of a #14 plus spencer (someone they tendered with a 1st rounder as well, was a 1st round pick in 04, and is a solid power blocking center) is just out of the question regarding what Seattle would accept. I wouldn't mind getting Spencer involved in the trade. Ya disagree.... understandable. I cna't fully disagree with some of your comments (especially about a mid rounder plus Spencer) but I do think Spencer is a better player then you know.

I'm aware of Spencer's game. (close family member is a big Hawks fan). I'm just not prepared to compare his abilities at his position to marshall's at his. I dont care what round Spencer was drafted in or what they tendered him at...he and a mid-round pick do not hold equal value to Marshall.

UnderArmour
03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
If we really wanted Sims, we could just sign him with a no-trade clause like the Eagles did with Mike Bell. Pass.

BigBroncLove
03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm aware of Spencer's game. (close family member is a big Hawks fan). I'm just not prepared to compare his abilities at his position to marshall's at his. I dont care what round Spencer was drafted in or what they tendered him at...he and a mid-round pick do not hold equal value to Marshall.

There's nothing that I disagree with in this post honestly. He is not the same value as Marshall at his position, and he is not worth a mid-round pick plus Spencer for Marshall. I don't disagree on that at all.

I do think he is a worthwhile consideration to be included in a trade from Seattle. FTR he is being demoted because the Seahawks have moved to a zone blocking scheme and he no longer fits in the unit.

Traveler
03-23-2010, 08:36 AM
There's nothing that I disagree with in this post honestly. He is not the same value as Marshall at his position, and he is not worth a mid-round pick plus Spencer for Marshall. I don't disagree on that at all.

I do think he is a worthwhile consideration to be included in a trade from Seattle. FTR he is being demoted because the Seahawks have moved to a zone blocking scheme and he no longer fits in the unit.

Then the team should just wait until he gets cut.

BigBroncLove
03-23-2010, 08:46 AM

That's a good point, but it's more likely Seattle will hold on to him with his tender through the year and plug him at guard while they continue to build since they have so many holes to fill. They may throw him on the trade block before the deadline as well... who knows. The earliest I think he would see open market is next year (barring a lockout).

The reason I think Spencer is of any consideration IMO is that the Broncos have plenty of holes to fill on the offensive line. Mawae has had informal talks with the Broncos but I just don't know whether the Broncos will actually be able to land him. I think the Broncos will hopefully plug someone in at guard or center before the draft otherwise they likely will have to throw in an untested rookie regardless of their performance next year in the starting line up. That could end up being a rather painful experience, though in the long term may pay major dividends. Spencer would let us address a major need for the Broncos and hopefully get a good pick to still get a solid WR.

I will say this for McDaniels and that's I haven't seen one trade on the open FA/RFA market that he's made thus far that I didn't think the Broncos got great value in the process. If for some reason Spencer was included in a trade I would expect the Broncos to get a lot of value out of the trade regarding the pick that would accompany him.

Traveler
03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I will say this for McDaniels and that's I haven't seen one trade on the open FA/RFA market that he's made thus far that I didn't think the Broncos got great value in the process. If for some reason Spencer was included in a trade I would expect the Broncos to get a lot of value out of the trade regarding the pick that would accompany him.

On this we do agree.

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 10:50 AM
If I read that correctly he is available for a 4th round tender. I would not be upset to get a starter for a fourth. And worst case he is a backup something we could use.

For that matter let's trade him even up for Hamilton. They get a decent OLG for ZBS and we laugh all the way to the bank.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Northman
03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Look, its NOT that complicated. Denver wants a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK for Marshall. They havent said anything to implicate that their willing to settle for less. They've even made statements that if no one bites they will keep him on the roster this year. Denver would be absolutely stupid to pull a Redskins and settle for less.

dogfish
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
sorry BBL, i'm with coach on this one. . .

i would have been satisfied with a package that included their 2nd round pick before they traded down, but now tht they don't even have a high 2nd, there's no package with simms or chester that i'd take barring the inclusion of #14. . .

those guys just don't have that type of value. . . marshall is a superstar, a borderline dominant and very consistently productive physical talent. . . simms is an adequate starter, and chester is a backup-- half a dozen of those guys wouldn't be a good trade for marshall. . .

i agree with JR-- if they want to unload chester they can have ben hamilton, straight up. . . i really liked chester a lot coming out of college, but he's been nothing but a disappoinement for them-- they've been looking to replace him ever since he entered the lineup. . . good prospect, but he's a weak NFL player who doesn't belong in a starting lineup-- he's never been able to translate his weight room strength to playing with power on the field, and reports also say he's dumber than a box of rocks and consistently bungles the line calls. . . i wouldn't count on him as more than a depth pickup, if that. . .

simms at least has enough value and potential that there's reportedly been some interest in him from other teams. . . i still wouldn't consider him a main piece in a trade for a player of marshall's caliber, though. . . every team would love to get rid of a few unwanted spare parts and a mid-round draft pick and get a superstar in return, but that doesn't mean we'll think it's a viable deal. . .

i mean, i'd love to trade spencer larsen or wes woodyard and a 2nd to dallas for DWare, too. . . . lol. . . somebody tell seattle we'll give 'em jarvis moss for simms . . .

UnderArmour
03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Not to be the bearer of bad news but... Hamilton is an unrestricted free agent, so we can't trade him. Nobody seems to want him either.

orangenblueinohio
03-23-2010, 11:23 AM

I think I just watched your sig like 10 times! Nice.

dogfish
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Not to be the bearer of bad news but... Hamilton is an unrestricted free agent, so we can't trade him. Nobody seems to want him either.

yea, i actually knew that-- i was just being sarcastic. . . .

Lonestar
03-23-2010, 11:56 AM
:dito:

If they would be dumb enough to bite on that, it would work for me.
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

BigBroncLove
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I HATE YOU ALL!!!! j/k.... ;)

Well looks like I'm all on my lonesome on this one, but I do like the play of Chris Spencer still. Anyways I guess I'll eat my awesome over in this corner alone ;)

I do like all the constructive debate though. High five! (in borat voice) Fun to talk about something other than picks...

WARHORSE
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I HATE YOU ALL!!!! j/k.... ;)

Well looks like I'm all on my lonesome on this one, but I do like the play of Chris Spencer still. Anyways I guess I'll eat my awesome over in this corner alone ;)

I do like all the constructive debate though. High five! (in borat voice) Fun to talk about something other than picks...

Wow. Refreshing response to disagreeing positions.:salute:

I gotta agree with most here though BBL, just because we have a need at the interior Oline doesnt mean we should settle for talent of less value.

Afterall, we arent trying to get rid of Brandon, he has been tendered. All we're saying is, since we cant get a contract agreed upon with BM at this time, our options are to tender him at draft specific slots or franchise him.

We have chosen to slot him at a first round selection. We did not do this stating that we are willing to accept less, we did this to let teams know that he can be had at a first round draft pick cost.

In the end, we are talking about how BM impacts a game, and how those we get in return will impact the game.

A high draft pick doesnt guarantee an impact player, but it does up your chances of hitting on it.

Many should remember that Brandon is part of this equation too. In Seattles considerations for doing a deal for BM, the cost of his contract is an issue.

If Brandon has a top of the line contract in mind, then Seattle has to weigh that cost in with a high draft selection.

If draft day comes, and the Broncos arent willing to come down in their demands (which they shouldnt), and Brandon starts thinking hes going to have to play for Denver at the tendered amount, its possible he drops his price in order to spur the Hawks towards doing a deal.