PDA

View Full Version : We have expressed interest in Mawae

ursak
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Jason La Canfora, of NFL.com, reports the Denver Broncos have expressed some interest in free-agent C Kevin Mawae (Titans), according to a league source. There has been contact between the sides.

Slick
03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Jason La Canfora, of NFL.com, reports the Denver Broncos have expressed some interest in free-agent C Kevin Mawae (Titans), according to a league source. There has been contact between the sides.

Hard to get excited about a 39 year old offensive lineman, but we need someone. I think I'd prefer him to a rookie.

Carl
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Hard to get excited about a 39 year old offensive lineman, but we need someone. I think I'd prefer him to a rookie.

Id prefer him AND a rookie. Mawae and Walton solves our Center issue for now and years to come.

Carl
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Report: Mawae considering Redskins, Broncos
Brad Biggs, The National Football Post
Mar 5, 11:08 am EST

The Washington Redskins are already bringing a pair of veteran tackles in for a look in Chad Clifton and Tony Pashos and now they’re trying to reel in a veteran center, one of the most decorated in the league, Kevin Mawae.

According to a report by Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, Mawae is in talks with the Redskins and Denver Broncos. The Tennessee Titans would like the 16-year veteran to return as a backup, but Mawae is seeking a starting job.

The Broncos cut their center Casey Weigmann while the Redskins re-signed their center Casey Rabach late last night to a $12.3 million, three-year contract. It’s not known if Rabach or Mawae would be looked at to play guard. The Redskins have multiple holes on their line. Stay tuned.

Follow me on Twitter: BradBiggs

Thats so uncool of Shanny......

Nomad
03-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Id prefer him AND a rookie. Mawae and Walton solves our Center issue for now and years to come.

I agree with both of you guys!! I prefer him over a a rookie this year and possibly next year and let the rookie learn from one of the best!! But I believe fat chance we get him unless Denver does something stupid because I read somewhere that the Titans want to keep him now and are working out a deal. I could be wrong though!!

BTW, the Redskins may beat both the BRONCOS and Titans with more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hotcarl
03-22-2010, 11:58 AM
report: Mawae considering redskins, broncos
brad biggs, the national football post
mar 5, 11:08 am est

follow me on twitter: Bradbiggs

thats so uncool of shanny......

yeah, no

broncofaninfla
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd like it if we signed Mawae, I'd LOVE it if we signed him and drafted a young stud center in the early rounds. I can't think of a better guy to learn from than Mawae right now. Mawae blew holes open for the leading rusher in the NFL last year, I can't imgine why we wouldn't want him here especially if he can play a role in grooming a young center in the process.

Traveler
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Wonder why Shanny hasn't even looked at Hamilton.

broncofaninfla
03-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Good question. I haven't given it much thought but now that you mention it, I do wonder why.

Lonestar
03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
hamilton has been playing on skates the past few years his pass protection sucks .. Way to many times where he was shoved into the pocket by a DL guy.

He was great for ZBS and roll out passing but since we moved to pocket passing he IMO has been a liability.

Shazam!
03-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Broncos must Draft a C even if Mawae comes in. He's an injury waiting to happen, and if he goes down, they're ****ed.

Maybe shoulda thought about keeping former backup/heir Lichtensteiger...

dogfish
03-22-2010, 04:10 PM

probably because hamilton is done and has sucked for several years now. . . .

Spiritguy
03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Broncos Not Pursuing Mawae

"There are various reports stating the Broncos, who desperately need a center, and veteran free-agent center Kevin Mawae have expressed mutual interest in each other.

While there are various ways to characterize "interest" an NFL source told me Mawae ain’t happening in Denver. Mawae, the president of the NFL players union, is not only 39 years old, his 289-pound frame is too light for the Broncos’ new power-type blocking system. Remember, the Broncos released Casey Wiegmann, who hasn’t missed a snap since the 2001 opener, because he was considered too small at 285 pounds."

Mike Klis, Denver Post

Carl
03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I agree with both of you guys!! I prefer him over a a rookie this year and possibly next year and let the rookie learn from one of the best!! But I believe fat chance we get him unless Denver does something stupid because I read somewhere that the Titans want to keep him now and are working out a deal. I could be wrong though!!

BTW, the Redskins may beat both the BRONCOS and Titans with more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I believe Mawae wants to start and the Titans are trying to improve the position.

broncobryce
03-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I thought McD might be considering Hamilton at center. I know, he sucked balls last year but maybe as center he would be okay or compete with whoever is brought in.

BigBroncLove
03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Do you think Mawae will really come to Denver?

My understanding on why we released Casey Weigmann in the first place was two fold, age and size. Mawae is 39 years old and is 289 pounds. Not the top fit in a new power blocking scheme.

Honestly I'd like to have someone like him who is established and capable come in but it just seems so contrary in to comparison as to why the Broncos cut Weigmann in the first place... plus his age does worry me personally.

just my two cents

Slick
03-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Oh absolutely. My meaning was that we don't put our needs at center solely in the draft.

dogfish
03-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh absolutely. My meaning was that we don't put our needs at center solely in the draft.

hate to say it big boy, but it's sure starting to look like we might have to. . .

if we don't want and/or don't get mawae, there's not a whole lot left that i'm aware of. . . we're running out of options fast. . . i don't think there's a single center left in unrestricted free agency who's any better than a backup-- at this point i don't mind our odds of doing just as well if not better starting a top rookie prospect. . . still wouldn't hurt to bring in somebody as a mentor/competition/depth type signing, but. . . unless we can sign a top veteran in his prime over the next year or two, we're going to have to take our lumps with a young starter at some point. . . may as well get it out of the way now so we can start building cohesion on the line. . .

i HATE the idea of taking pouncey at #11, but at this point i'd say our need is great enough that i'd have no problem targetting jd walton at the top of the 2nd round. . .

it's also been mentioned that we might try last year's 4th rounder, seth olsen, at center. . . given our lack of other quality options, i think it's worth a shot. . . iowa linemen are typically well-coached and technically sound, qualities that translate well to playing the pivot. . . i have no idea whether he's ever made line calls, but in a pinch it's also not unheard-of for one of the guards to help a young center out with it. . .

Slick
03-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I enjoy reading your posts dogfish.

dogfish
03-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I enjoy reading your posts dogfish.

you like looking at my avatars. . . .

hope the wigger doesn't read too much into that. . .

Lancane
03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
hate to say it big boy, but it's sure starting to look like we might have to. . .

if we don't want and/or don't get mawae, there's not a whole lot left that i'm aware of. . . we're running out of options fast. . . i don't think there's a single center left in unrestricted free agency who's any better than a backup-- at this point i don't mind our odds of doing just as well if not better starting a top rookie prospect. . . still wouldn't hurt to bring in somebody as a mentor/competition/depth type signing, but. . . unless we can sign a top veteran in his prime over the next year or two, we're going to have to take our lumps with a young starter at some point. . . may as well get it out of the way now so we can start building cohesion on the line. . .

i HATE the idea of taking pouncey at #11, but at this point i'd say our need is great enough that i'd have no problem targetting jd walton at the top of the 2nd round. . .

it's also been mentioned that we might try last year's 4th rounder, seth olsen, at center. . . given our lack of other quality options, i think it's worth a shot. . . iowa linemen are typically well-coached and technically sound, qualities that translate well to playing the pivot. . . i have no idea whether he's ever made line calls, but in a pinch it's also not unheard-of for one of the guards to help a young center out with it. . .

Problem is Dog, that we have only three guards actually on the roster, Olsen...Kuper is yet to sign his restricted free agent tender and then we have McChesney who spent his first two years in the league as a defensive tackle and is yet to prove he is more then fodder. We have one center in Dustin Fry who is yet to see more time then on a practice squad. We have some depth at offensive tackle, but Ryan Harris will be an unrestricted free agent after this year, so we may have a need at the position anyways. In a round about way DF, we are hurtin' on the offensive line in a bad way.

Mawae though not a spring chicken is at least an option to solidify the line without having to force a rookie into the spot and could literally hurt the team. I hope we sign him and then draft Erik Cook, who I believe could end up being the best damn center in this draft next to Walton. Pouncey has too many questions though versatile, he is not a pure center like Cook or Walton and a few others. But if we sign Mawae our biggest need without a doubt becomes the guard positions, possibly followed by the tackle spot to find a future replacement for Harris.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I would not be surprised if three of our first four picks are offensive lineman. But at least Mawae makes it a bit easier on the Front Office to fill other positions of need.

dogfish
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Problem is Dog, that we have only three guards actually on the roster, Olsen...Kuper is yet to sign his restricted free agent tender and then we have McChesney who spent his first two years in the league as a defensive tackle and is yet to prove he is more then fodder. We have one center in Dustin Fry who is yet to see more time then on a practice squad. We have some depth at offensive tackle, but Ryan Harris will be an unrestricted free agent after this year, so we may have a need at the position anyways. In a round about way DF, we are hurtin' on the offensive line in a bad way.

Mawae though not a spring chicken is at least an option to solidify the line without having to force a rookie into the spot and could literally hurt the team. I hope we sign him and then draft Erik Cook, who I believe could end up being the best damn center in this draft next to Walton. Pouncey has too many questions though versatile, he is not a pure center like Cook or Walton and a few others. But if we sign Mawae our biggest need without a doubt becomes the guard positions, possibly followed by the tackle spot to find a future replacement for Harris.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I would not be surprised if three of our first four picks are offensive lineman. But at least Mawae makes it a bit easier on the Front Office to fill other positions of need.

yea, FTR, i wasn't arguing against bringing mawae in-- just doesn't look to me like we're going to get it done. . .

Lancane
03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
yea, FTR, i wasn't arguing against bringing mawae in-- just doesn't look to me like we're going to get it done. . .

If it hurts us, I would not be surprised if Shanahan and company gave him more then he is worth so we don't get him.

sneakers
03-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Just what we need, more old balls at center.