PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to open on Monday Night at home

DenBronx
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Orlando, Fla. _ If the Broncos get their way, they’ll open the 2010 season with a Monday night game against the rival Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High.

It’s been a while since the Broncos have had their way with NFL schedule makers. The Broncos haven’t opened at home since the 2004 season, when they defeated Kansas City, 34-24.
Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams and Keith Burns are the only players from that 2004 opener who are still with the Broncos (Burns is now a coach).

The NFL will announce portions of its 2010 primetime schedule Monday.

A big reason why the Broncos have started five consecutive seasons on the road is because CBS, the AFC network, is committed to the U.S. Open men’s tennis championship during the same Sunday afternoon after Labor Day that is part of NFL’s opener.

The Broncos’ 2:15 p.m. start for home games puts them in direct conflict with the U.S. Open final. The U.S. Open will still be there Sept. 12, the first Sunday of the NFL’s 2010 season, which is why the Broncos are willing to move Game 1 to Monday night, Sept. 13 in order to break their streak of season-opening road games.

If the Broncos’ request is fulfulled, they would play the second of two Monday night games, which would mean an 8:15 p.m. MDT kickoff. Which also means fans in the outlying Denver area shouldn’t blame the game-story writer if the final score isn’t in the Denver Post that hits driveways on the morning of Sept. 14.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/21/broncos-hope-to-open-on-monday-night-at-home/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter&utm_content=Twitter

BroncoBJ
03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Why do the Raiders seem to ALWAYS get a monday night game to open the season? Seems like every single year they get one. Usually its at home but hopefully this stays true and we can open at home.

But damn, Oakland seems to always get a MNF game to start the season. Not sure what they do to deserve MNF games. :coffee:

DenBronx
03-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Why do the Raiders seem to ALWAYS get a monday night game to open the season? Seems like every single year they get one. Usually its at home but hopefully this stays true and we can open at home.

But damn, Oakland seems to always get a MNF game to start the season. Not sure what they do to deserve MNF games. :coffee:

I hope this isnt our only MNF game of 2010.

I want San Diego in San Diego so we can stomp them on their own turf.

BroncoBJ
03-22-2010, 12:19 AM
I hope this isnt our only MNF game of 2010.

I want San Diego in San Diego so we can stomp them on their own turf.

Yea, I always enjoy MNF games. :salute:

Although at least our MNF streak will continue. I think its like 19 years or something like that we have going now. Not quite sure. But keep that streak alive. :salute:

It seems natural to have MNF games but then some teams NEVER get them. So we should feel privledged.

sneakers
03-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Wasn't the 2004 opener the game in which Quinton Griffith ran for like 130 yards?

sneakers
03-22-2010, 12:53 AM

I have heard that the Raiders have a lot of fans all over the place, so that would explain why they are on tv more then they should be.

Italianmobstr7
03-22-2010, 12:54 AM
If this happens, I'm going to that game!

T.K.O.
03-22-2010, 10:08 AM
that would make the off season another day longer:mad:

titan
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I like it. I remember when the broncos opened at oakland on a monday night game 2 years ago (eddie royal's coming out party) the broncos said at the time "our fans don't like monday night games so we chose to open on the road". Glad they've changed their tune. This fan loves early season monday night games in Denver - it's a great atmosphere and the weather is usually good. I'm not as thrilled about home night games in November and December.

There's a work conference I have the opportunity to go to every year the first weekend of the nfl season. This year I'm skipping it! I'm going to be at Invesco that Monday night!

Buff
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
I HATE Monday night games to start the season... In the last year or two I've decided that I'm sick of Monday night games in general. I like to watch football on Sundays. When my team isn't playing on Sunday, I don't look forward to the weekend as much. I wouldn't be upset if we never played another MNF game.

Davii
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I HATE Monday night games to start the season... In the last year or two I've decided that I'm sick of Monday night games in general. I like to watch football on Sundays. When my team isn't playing on Sunday, I don't look forward to the weekend as much. I wouldn't be upset if we never played another MNF game.

Buff, I know you can be sarcastic and joking at times, but this is no joking matter.

claymore
03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I effin hate prime time games. Its a killer on the East coast.

Buff
03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Buff, I know you can be sarcastic and joking at times, but this is no joking matter.

I'm serious, I really have come to dislike MNF. There is something to be said for NFL Sundays. NFL Mondays aren't the same.

Plus, opening the season on MNF is the worst because you have to sit around and wait for that much longer.

underrated29
03-22-2010, 12:52 PM

I cant get behind this.^ Mondays are awesome for football. Esp. After a long as day at work.

I'm serious, I really have come to dislike MNF. There is something to be said for NFL Sundays. NFL Mondays aren't the same.

Plus, opening the season on MNF is the worst because you have to sit around and wait for that much longer.

This I can totally get behind. But the week will go that much faster with a game on monday and then 6 days later a game on sunday. We always seem to open against the faiders. I mean it could be worse starting out 1-0 is not bad. But the faid? On monday, season opener, again? Wow.

Mike
03-22-2010, 12:59 PM
We always seem to open against the faiders. I mean it could be worse starting out 1-0 is not bad. But the faid? On monday, season opener, again? Wow.

Hasn't Oakland won the last two games in Denver?

Buff
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I cant get behind this.^ Mondays are awesome for football. Esp. After a long as day at work.

This I can totally get behind. But the week will go that much faster with a game on monday and then 6 days later a game on sunday. We always seem to open against the faiders. I mean it could be worse starting out 1-0 is not bad. But the faid? On monday, season opener, again? Wow.

I'll meet you halfway. I guess by the time gametime finally does roll around, it is pretty sweet to hear the MNF theme music against the backdrop of Invesco field... But I hate having to get through an entire day of football and then an entire day of work before getting to see the game.

OrangeHoof
03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Wasn't the 2004 opener the game in which Quinton Griffith ran for like 130 yards?

Yes, I have the game at home with Pat Bummerall doing the play-by-play because Mike Patrick had a heart procedure.

That was a Sunday Night game, not Monday night because Monday Nights were still on ABC back then.

OrangeHoof
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Since ESPN gets two Monday night games on opening week, this game is likely to have a late start and go on well into the night. Be prepared for a roughly 8:30 p.m. kickoff after they've finished showing the first game.

DenBronx
04-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Swing and a miss. Clearly with the recent schedule release we won't ne playing on opening night or against the Raiders at all on MNF. Our only MNF is against the Chargers later in the year.

I'm totally bummed because I was going to plan a road trip for this one.