PDA

View Full Version : Question for Broncos Forums...

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Broncos player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

Italianmobstr7
03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I feel like Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith don't get the credit they deserve. Atwater was in the league of safeties such as Ronnie Lott, but he doesn't get near the credit Lott gets.

broncofaninfla
03-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Tom Jackson and Karl Mecklenburgh.

Northman
03-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, tough question.

I do agree to some extent with Italian about Smith and Atwater but Atwater actually does get pretty good pub for his vicious hits and what not. One guy i really enjoyed watching was Steve Sewell. Not necessarily a great RB but he was excellent as far as catching the ball out of the backfield and was key any number of times on third down. I might have to think about it some more but he is the first to come to mind.

BigBroncLove
03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
This is a very tough question in my opinion. There are a lot of great football players from the Broncos that have never gotten the recognition they deserve. A lot of great players that belong in the "Hall of Fame", not the "Hall of the very good".

Honestly I have to be partial to the SB years and go Howard Griffith. Maybe Eddie McCaffery though i think he got a lot more coverage. Both will never make the Hall of Fame in my opinion but are easily worthy of the nation wide recognition they earned.

Guys like Mecklemberg and Gradishar and many of the others listed here deserve more recognition but should be in the HoF.

Tned
03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Broncos player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

I'll aree with Atwater. He was fairly well known, but not necessarily a super star.

Al Wilson and Jon Mobley at LB.
Trevor Pryce at DL (while here, he was constantly double covered as the only real DL threat)
Jake Plummer, nearly a 75% winning percentage (flame on boys)
Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey (Rod has received little recognition as compared to his achievements)

There are a bunch more, but sitting here I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure others will throw out plenty that deserve recognition.

shank
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
i ♥ eddie and rod

broncophan
03-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Meck....and Rulon Jones....

Lancane
03-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Lyle Alzado, Chip Myrtle, Floyd Little, Larry Kaminski, Rubin Carter, Barney Chavous, Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Paul Howard, Joe Rizzo, Paul Smith, Billy Thompson, Rick Upchurch and Louis Wright.

Dreadnought
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll aree with Atwater. He was fairly well known, but not necessarily a super star.

Al Wilson and Jon Mobley at LB.
Trevor Pryce at DL (while here, he was constantly double covered as the only real DL threat)
Jake Plummer, nearly a 75% winning percentage (flame on boys)
Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey (Rod has received little recognition as compared to his achievements)

There are a bunch more, but sitting here I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure others will throw out plenty that deserve recognition.

I woulda hi-5ed this post, save for one unfortunate inclusion :D

Lots of good suggestions in this thread - my own would be Steve Watson (as seen in my avvy), who tore up the league in 1981 and gave Craig Morton his best season as a pure passer. He was rock solid from 82-86 as well. Huge YPC guy, yet without blazing speed.

atwater27
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Steve Atwater, Dennis Smith, Karl Mecklenburg, Simon Fletcher.

SoCalImport
03-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Tommy (nails) Nalen

I also love me some Keith Traylor. I know he moved around as a bit of a mercenary free agent but was drafted by Denver played LB for a couple of years before leaving then came back to help the Broncos to back to back Championships. As a role player fireplug DT he made his share of huge plays for us.

shank
03-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Tommy (nails) Nalen

I also love me some Keith Traylor. I know he moved around as a bit of a mercenary free agent but was drafted by Denver played LB for a couple of years before leaving then came back to help the Broncos to back to back Championships. As a role player fireplug DT he made his share of huge plays for us.

wow, i had no idea that he was drafted as a linebacker. dude got huge!

Ziggy
03-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Karl Mecklenberg- 12th round draft pick. He is still the only player I know that played all 7 of the front 7 defensive positions in a single game. Keep in mind that he did this at 6'3 240. He went to 6 pro bowls and was named first team all pro 3 times. One of the smartest and most versatile players ever to play the game, the 'albino rhino', was a factor all over the field.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Craig Morton wasn't the bum people made him out to be.

CoachChaz
03-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Karl Mecklenberg- 12th round draft pick. He is still the only player I know that played all 7 of the front 7 defensive positions in a single game. Keep in mind that he did this at 6'3 240. He went to 6 pro bowls and was named first team all pro 3 times. One of the smartest and most versatile players ever to play the game, the 'albino rhino', was a factor all over the field.

Snow Goose