PDA

View Full Version : Legwold: Broncos should look at RB's

turftoad
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
Thursday, April 3, 2008

Arkansas running back Darren McFadden isn't expected to be on the board when the Broncos pick 12th in the draft. Off-field concerns about him, though, aren't likely to cause a big drop-off.

Because in Mike Shanahan's tenure as head coach, the Broncos have not taken a running back in the first round of an NFL draft.

The closest foray into that thus-far-uncharted world for Shanahan came in 2006 when, if the Broncos had not been successful in moving up to the No. 11 spot to take quarterback Jay Cutler, they would have taken Laurence Maroney.

Beyond that, Tatum Bell (No. 41 pick in 2004) and Clinton Portis (No. 51 in 2002) were the earliest selections of the Shanahan era to find their way into the backfield.

Which brings the Broncos rumbling toward this draft.

Though Denver has three running backs - Travis Henry, Selvin Young and Andre Hall - on its current roster who started games in 2007, the position is certainly in the mix of needs.

Shanahan has said repeatedly he doesn't consider Young or Hall big enough to be every-down backs, and this week he said Henry would need a "great offseason program" to be considered one again.

So, sitting in the 12th spot in the first round, the Broncos could take a swing at some of the best full-time, lug-the-rock guys in this year's rookie class.

* Darren McFadden, Arkansas

The first back since Herschel Walker in the Southeastern Conference to have at least 1,000 yards rushing as a freshman, sophomore and junior. Gained 321 yards against South Carolina in '07 - and didn't average less than 5.7 yards per carry in any of his three seasons.

Big, strong, versatile and almost certainly long gone when the Broncos pick. Some teams see some off-field concerns - he suffered a severe toe injury in a fight outside a bar in '06 - and a small smattering of scouts isn't sure if he can be a consistent inside runner as a pro.

But NFL teams let the best back in the '07 draft - Adrian Peterson - slide for some of the same reasons, and all he did was win the Rookie of the Year award. McFadden won't drop far.

* Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Just might be the best zone scheme runner in this class, certainly something that would catch the Broncos' eye. Was the Big Ten's Offensive Player of the Year with 1,681 rushing yards this past season and had 59 career receptions as well.

Patient runner who, at 225 pounds, got everybody's attention at the scouting combine by running a 4.4-second 40-yard dash on all watches. He is also climbing the board as the "safest" pick in the group, so he also might be gone by the time the Broncos are on the clock.

* Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

There are two sides to this story. On one side is pessimism that surgery in March to repair a turf-toe condition on his right foot will push him down the board because of a four-month recovery time.

On the other is the fact Stewart, who weighed 235 at the combine, still ran a 4.48 in the 40 on a right foot that needed that kind of surgery.

One of the strongest players to have gone through the school's conditioning program and elusive enough in traffic to have had 83- and 97-yard kickoff returns for touchdowns as a freshman.

And if the Broncos move down some, or simply wait as they normally do . . .

* Felix Jones, Arkansas

Though McFadden won the Doak Walker Award in '07, Jones got enough carries in the Arkansas offense to finish with 1,162 yards. Quick to the hole, a quality kick returner and averaged 7.7 yards per carry for his college career.

* Kevin Smith, Central Florida

He carried the ball an astounding 450 times this past season, finishing with 2,567 yards and 29 rushing touchdowns. He had 13 100-yard games in '07, five 200-yard games and a 320-yard, four-touchdown effort against Alabama-Birmingham.

The scouts who like him really like him, thanks to quick feet and the big-play potential he flashed throughout '07.

* Xavier Omon, Northwest Missouri State

At 228 pounds, he didn't show the top-end speed (4.62) some others did, but few in the class can match his production. He rushed for at least 1,500 yards in all four of his collegiate seasons, finishing with 2,337 yards in '07 and 37 rushing touchdowns. Also caught 29 passes this past year.

And among those who could be potential, split-the-time guys, there is Jamaal Charles, of Texas, who is the fastest of the class and averaged 20.3 yards on his 36 career touchdowns; Tashard Choice, of Georgia Tech, who had 18 career 100-yard games; and Matt Forte, of Tulane, who had two 300-yard rushing games in '07 and three of the top eight rushing games in Division I-A for the season.

legwoldj@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-2359

NUMBERS GAME

0 compensatory draft picks awarded to the Broncos in this year's draft for players lost in free agency the previous season. Fifteen teams were awarded 32 picks in all this year.

PLAY THE 17TH

Steelers owner Dan Rooney isn't lobbying, but he believes the day will come when teams will play 17-game regular seasons and three-game exhibition seasons.

He said he would expect the 17th game for each team to be at a neutral site, perhaps even an international affair.

"If we went to 17 games, one of those would be in a different place," Rooney said.

TESTING, TESTING

The NFL continues to work to develop a urine test for human growth hormone, commissioner Roger Goodell said this week.

He said the league has spent $3.5 million in the past 18 months on the effort.

HE SAID IT

"We're not going there. We've got the quarterbacks that we like."

Mike Shanahan, Broncos coach, on why he hasn't spent much time yet looking at the quarterbacks in the draft.

Ground control

Running backs taken in the first two rounds of the 2007 draft:

Player Team Pick

Adrian Peterson Minnesota 7

Marshawn Lynch Buffalo 12

Kenny Irons Cincinnati 49

Chris Henry Tennessee 50

Brian Leonard St. Louis 52

Brandon Jackson Green Bay 63

Den21vsBal19
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Which brings the Broncos rumbling toward this draft.

Though Denver has three running backs - Travis Henry, Selvin Young and Andre Hall - on its current roster who started games in 2007, the position is certainly in the mix of needs.

Shanahan has said repeatedly he doesn't consider Young or Hall big enough to be every-down backs, and this week he said Henry would need a "great offseason program" to be considered one again.

So, sitting in the 12th spot in the first round, the Broncos could take a swing at some of the best full-time, lug-the-rock guys in this year's rookie class.

Hardly a ringing endorsement of our backfield.....................if the right guy was available, I could see Shanny trying to beef the position up some......

Although I've seen it suggested somewhere that taking a back at this moment in time would be like the Lions & Sanders or the Chargers & early LT...........plenty of yardage on the ground, but too many holes to be challenging for honours for a few more years yet......

shank
04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
i don't remember hearing shanny say that about henry... but it's pretty telling.

stewart/mendenhall in the 1st or xavier omon in the 5th (is he still expected to last that long or has he jumped into the 3rd like all the other guys i start liking at a mid-late rounder?!)

TimBuff10
04-04-2008, 06:08 PM
* Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Just might be the best zone scheme runner in this class, certainly something that would catch the Broncos' eye. Was the Big Ten's Offensive Player of the Year with 1,681 rushing yards this past season and had 59 career receptions as well.

Patient runner who, at 225 pounds, got everybody's attention at the scouting combine by running a 4.4-second 40-yard dash on all watches. He is also climbing the board as the "safest" pick in the group, so he also might be gone by the time the Broncos are on the clock.

I had no idea he was that big... If he is in fact the best zone type runner in the draft, I would say taking him is a no-brainer and would love to see a back in Denver that has a future instead of just being a band-aid till we find something better.

claymore
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Sad day, but with this years draft, and our needs, almost anyone at #12 will fill a need. But If we could get xavier omon in the 5th.............. I would be one happy SOB!

gobroncsnv
04-04-2008, 06:20 PM
starts to feel like these analysts play Madden to get ideas on writing topics, and that the only thing worth considering in the draft is skill players. If we find a gem WAY down the list of our picks, I'd be ok with this, but we have a lot of foundational work to get done before we look at running backs... Odds are, nobody mentioned in this list can run through an NFL dlineman. Unless we can get some people movers at the LOS, forget about this line of thinking.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Rashard Mendenhall is not the best zone blocking running back in this draft.

MHCBill
04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
ummmm... stick to the sig Dove Valley...

shank
04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I had no idea he was that big... If he is in fact the best zone type runner in the draft, I would say taking him is a no-brainer and would love to see a back in Denver that has a future instead of just being a band-aid till we find something better.

his official combine time is 4.45 at 225 lbs. stewart ran an official 4.48 at 235 lbs, and also jumped 3" higher in the vert than mendenhall, despite having a toe that needed surgery...

i'd be happy with either one, but mendenhall isn't a no-brainer. i prefer stewart.

i agree. i think he'd be very good here, but he ran with speed and elusiveness in a spread offense in college. i like stewart's power and his (imo) more impressive size/speed ratio. but there are a ton of backs this year that i'd be happy to have on our team.

slim
04-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Then who is? Mendenhall would be a stud in Denver. I would pass on Stewart and McFadden. But that's just me.

Traveler
04-04-2008, 08:08 PM
If we don't select a OT at #12, Mendenhall should be the choice. 1st round you have to take the BPA, even if it adds to a position of strength.

TimBuff10
04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
1st round you have to take the BPA, even if it adds to a position of strength unless it is QB or TE.

Fixed it for ya :cool:

TXBRONC
04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
his official combine time is 4.45 at 225 lbs. stewart ran an official 4.48 at 235 lbs, and also jumped 3" higher in the vert than mendenhall, despite having a toe that needed surgery...

i'd be happy with either one, but mendenhall isn't a no-brainer. i prefer stewart.

i agree. i think he'd be very good here, but he ran with speed and elusiveness in a spread offense in college. i like stewart's power and his (imo) more impressive size/speed ratio. but there are a ton of backs this year that i'd be happy to have on our team.

When Mike Mayock did his draft segment on running backs he iI remember him saying that he felt that Stewart went down to easily from time to time. I think also read somewhere that for as big as Stewart is he doesn't always run with kind of power that you would expect out a back that big.

That being said, I still wouldn't be against drafting him because we do have the best running backs coach in the League.

shank
04-05-2008, 12:37 AM
When Mike Mayock did his draft segment on running backs he iI remember him saying that he felt that Stewart went down to easily from time to time. I think also read somewhere that for as big as Stewart is he doesn't always run with kind of power that you would expect out a back that big.

That being said, I still wouldn't be against drafting him because we do have the best running backs coach in the League.

i'd be fine with either one, but stewart has a higher ceiling imo. he's just good at everything, and has displayed much more power than mendenhall.

stewart-albert-williams-mendenhall @ 12 and i'm the happiest guy in all the land

Scarface
04-05-2008, 08:05 AM
If we don't select a OT at #12, Mendenhall should be the choice.

Yep. I want a tackle but if for some creepy reason we don't take one than Mendenhall should be our guy.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL%20Draft%2008/RB/rashardmendenhall.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm a Stewart guy, but if it comes down to a better fit in our system, I'd hardly be upset getting Mendenhall. Still not convinced though that Stewart couldn't run in zone system.

TXBRONC
04-05-2008, 08:41 AM
If given the choice I would take Stewart over Mendenhall. Here's PFW's top five running backs.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/topRBs.htm

Scouting reports on the five highest-ranked running backs

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 4, 2008

This is the second in a series of eight articles for this Web site, in which we're presenting excerpts from “the bible of the draft,” our 2008 Draft Preview book, which is on now sale at the PFW store. Each of the remaining articles in the series will be posted daily, through April 10. Please note that the top five players at each position are listed in the order in which they were ranked in the pre-draft issue of our print edition, published March 31.

1. RB-KR Jonathan Stewart (junior)
(5-10 1/4, 235, 4.47) Oregon

Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart

Positives: Is sculpted like a Greek god with a very thick musculature and looks like he was made to be a bell-cow back. Very, very strong with good power and snap in his hips. Has unbelievably strong hips and incredibly strong balance on contact. Carries his pads well and can power through tackles. Shows good vision to see cut-back lanes and fight through traffic and can accelerate when he finds daylight and finish runs. Is surprisingly agile for as compact as he is. Can move the pile and pick up tough yards inside. Drives through contact. Very tough and will play through pain. Faces up defenders in pass protection and has the stoutness to stick to his blocks and anchor. Catches the ball easily. Very solid character.

Negatives: Ran out of a spread-option offense in which he often received the ball moving laterally instead of downhill like he will be asked to do in the pros. Short-stepper who does not open up his stride and does not appear sudden, quick or capable of running away from defenders. Does not string a lot of moves together. Shows some tightness in his movement. Has had a number of foot and ankle injuries, and sheer girth could continue to put stress on his lower extremities.

Summary: The most complete back in the draft, Stewart could be misevaluated because of the spread offense in which he played and his deceptive, short-stepping style. But he is a load to tackle, possessing a unique blend of speed, power and strength and should be able to make an immediate impact in the pros the way he did in college. A very safe pick with Pro Bowl-caliber talent. Could easily fit into the top 10 and be the first back drafted.

2. RB Darren McFadden (junior)
(6-1 1/4, 211, 4.36) Arkansas

Positives: Has big-play capability and is a threat to score every time he finds a crease. Has a strong upper body and powerful stiff-arm and will deliver a blow. Shows the explosion and acceleration to take the corner and outrun a defense. Can stick his foot in the ground and accelerate with the type of speed you can feel as he goes by. Can run inside or outside and wear down defenses. Will dip his shoulder and drive through contact. Catches the ball well and is accurate throwing halfback-option passes (seven career TD tosses). Good versatility. Solid football character — has an aura on the field, a passion for the game and does everything he is asked. Has shown he can take over games — see second half vs. Alabama.

Negatives: Needs to take better care of the football. Is top-heavy. Runs upright with a thin lower body and some tightness in his hips. Does not sink his hips easily to change direction and goes down too easily with arm tackles. Was frequently used out of a spread shotgun formation where he took direct snaps from the quarterback and did not run downhill the way he will be asked to do in many pro-style offenses. Was little-used as a receiver. Will miss some holes and does not have great vision. Did not leave it all on the field as a junior and seemed to be protecting himself. Almost always carries the ball in his left hand. Personal character is a very, very pressing concern — will never be able to escape distractions off the field.

Summary: A boom-or-bust prospect with elite physical talent and high-risk (personal) character. Any team who considers drafting him early better make sure it has done its due diligence. Off-field distractions and hangers-on could keep him from ever realizing his immense potential. Fumbling problems are a major concern that are characteristic of his lack of discipline off the field and could keep him from staying on it. Appears destined to break a team’s heart and could ultimately cost a decision-maker his job if too much is invested in him.

3. RB Rashard Mendenhall (junior)
(5-10 1/8, 225, 4.46) Illinois

Positives: Very thickly built and looks every bit the part. Is layered with muscle on top of muscle. Attacks the perimeter and can break through arm tackles. Has good leg drive after contact. Shows good vision and sees the cut-back lane. Can pick and slide and weave through traffic. Shows the speed to kick it into another gear and pull away. Has soft hands and adjusts well to the ball. Has big-play capability. Very productive.

Negatives: Played in a spread-option offense where linemen took very wide splits, he had lanes to run through and he rarely was coming out of the I-formation downhill. Does not run with good pad level or pick up much yardage after contact. Not an overly creative runner who makes many tacklers miss. Gears down to cut. Runs top-heavy, takes too many direct hits and could wear down. Does not have great balance and falls forward and gets tripped up too easily. Not a great competitor. Was immature and did not make an immediate impact upon his arrival. Suspect ball security early in career.

Summary: Scouts have compared him to Herschel Walker because of his straight-linish running style and very impressive physical condition. Has sheer strength and speed and looks like an absolute phenom but must prove that he wants to be great. Really stood out in the Rose Bowl against a very talented USC defense and showed he could be a workhorse.

4. RB Felix Jones (junior)
(5-10 1/8, 207, 4.51) Arkansas

Positives: Very natural athlete. Runs decisively and has excellent feet. Shows the run instincts, vision and balance to string moves together. Is not easy to hit squarely. Has a knack for finding creases. Shows top burst and acceleration. Is patient finding lanes in the kickoff-return game and accelerates in a blink when he sees daylight. Exceptional lateral quickness. Very competitive.

Negatives: Thinly built and not built to withstand heavy contact or carry the workload. Durability could be a concern. Averaged only 10.2 carries and is not a bell cow. Lacks the strength to consistently run between the tackles. Needs to improve as a blocker. Was not featured in the passing game and did not return punts.

Summary: A dynamic space player with quick-cutting ability and elusiveness to contribute immediately in a complementary role. Did not play in an offense that featured backs in the passing game but has caught the ball well when he had opportunities and shows terrific instincts and traffic burst as a kickoff returner. Could make an immediate impact in the pros and be a game-breaking complement to a power back.

5. RB Ray Rice (junior)
(5-8, 199, 4.47) Rutgers

Negatives: Has had a lot of carries in his short career, and durability needs to be considered (shoulders). Is not a blazer or very quick initially and can be caught from behind. Not fluid changing direction or making multiple lateral cuts. Does not show a top gear. Very limited production as a receiver. Limited return experience.

Summary: A strong, bowling-ball type of runner, Rice runs very hard, is aggressive attacking the line and attacks defenses. He’s tough, instinctive and productive and, although not as fast as teams would like, he should be able to contribute readily in the pros in a complementary power-type role.

BOSSHOGG30
04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Stewart!

lex
04-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Mendenhall is the more complete back. He is much more shifty than Stewart and consequently is better able to avoid the big hit. He also runs with power and can catch as well as anyone in the draft. And earlier someone mentioned the jumping but neglected to point out that Mendenhall had the best times of all running backs at the cone drill...which supports what Im saying about running with more wiggle. Stewart likes to use his power but the flip side of that is that he is also absorbing punishment himself. Running back is punishing enough as it is, its better for the investment to get the guy who can better avoid the big hit.

underrated29
04-05-2008, 10:39 AM
lets not make this another stew vs mend thread.

Both would be good here, i personally prefer stewart. But really we could take a rb late. i heard that washington just ran a 4.40 and he is a big boy at 220 or something. I am starting to warm up to you chris johnson lex. I still havent seen him run yet, but from what i have been reading i am starting to agree that he is more like portis and less like a bell. I still need to see him run before i am convinced. But even he could be had in the 2.

lex
04-05-2008, 10:43 AM
lets not make this another stew vs mend thread.

Both would be good here, i personally prefer stewart. But really we could take a rb late. i heard that washington just ran a 4.40 and he is a big boy at 220 or something. I am starting to warm up to you chris johnson lex. I still havent seen him run yet, but from what i have been reading i am starting to agree that he is more like portis and less like a bell. I still need to see him run before i am convinced. But even he could be had in the 2.

That was actually about Jamaal Charles. I couldnt help but notice Legwold omitted his name when listing guys to take later.

underrated29
04-05-2008, 10:46 AM
oh, i thought that was you who like cj. Wonder who it was that was so high on him. I dont know much about charles yet, so i will have to keep reading.

BOSSHOGG30
04-05-2008, 11:20 AM
And earlier someone mentioned the jumping but neglected to point out that Mendenhall had the best times of all running backs at the cone drill...which supports what Im saying about running with more wiggle.

Lex, I would be interested to know how many of the runningbacks actually took part in the cone drill as well as Mendenhall's time that way I can compare it to other positions that ran the drill.

Skinny
04-05-2008, 11:21 AM
If we go RB on day one, i hope it's with the #12 pick. If we're gonna do it we might as well do it big. Unless Mikey & Co. can somehow pick up a 3rd rounder, and Jamaal Charles is still on the board ...

Aside from that, i hope we don't start considering another one till the fifth or beyond, just me.

TXBRONC
04-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm a Stewart guy, but if it comes down to a better fit in our system, I'd hardly be upset getting Mendenhall. Still not convinced though that Stewart couldn't run in zone system.

They both ran in a spread offense so we don't know if either of them would fit in a zone system. That being said, with Bobby Taylor as our running backs coach I think either of them could be taught.

BOSSHOGG30
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
They both ran in a spread offense so we don't know if either of them would fit in a zone system. That being said, with Bobby Taylor as our running backs coach I think either of them could be taught.

Selvin Young ran out of a spread offense and he isn't doing so bad himself.

TXBRONC
04-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Selvin Young ran out of a spread offense and he isn't doing so bad himself.

Thanks for reminding us about that. :salute:

WARHORSE
04-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Mendenhall is my first choice, but I wouldnt be bummed about any of the top three. I think our coaching staff will prepare them to dominate, and Shanny will get the most out of them.

Mendenhall is a homerun threat, and since that makes a big difference on secondaries, Id rather have that threat available, than not have it.

He can do it all, and I think he will.......especially if he runs in Denver.

Definitely a better back than Marshawn Lynch, and look how well he ran for Buffalo.

Mendenhall is the better receiver too.

Thats where my vote is cast if we pick a RB at 12.

dogfish
04-06-2008, 04:29 AM
barring injury, i think stewart is going to be the best back from this draft class-- i just think he wants it the most, and you need determination to be great at this position. . . the guy dominated on a bad wheel, think how much more powerful and explosive he would have been if he'd been completely healthy. . . turf toe is an injury that's sidelined plenty of players-- i'd like to see mayock try breaking tackles with a foot he couldn't push off with! dude put together a very solid combine performance and then had surgery the next week-- his numbers might have been through the roof if he'd been completely healthy. . .

as for him potentially not being a good fit for our system, i don't buy it. . . the best runner in team history was a pure downhill, north-south runner with very little wiggle in the open field, and stewart fits that mold very well. . . forget moving laterally-- keep your pads square to the goal line, pick a crease and get upfield, lower your shoulder and always drive forward for extra yardage-- punish tacklers. . . sound familiar? stewart isn't a good fit, my ass! bobby turner has said on many occasions that vision and burst are the two essential qualities needed to succeed in the ZBS-- stewart's vision is fine, and when his foot is healthy he has more than enough burst to get it done. . .

TXBRONC
04-06-2008, 08:58 AM
barring injury, i think stewart is going to be the best back from this draft class-- i just think he wants it the most, and you need determination to be great at this position. . . the guy dominated on a bad wheel, think how much more powerful and explosive he would have been if he'd been completely healthy. . . turf toe is an injury that's sidelined plenty of players-- i'd like to see mayock try breaking tackles with a foot he couldn't push off with! dude put together a very solid combine performance and then had surgery the next week-- his numbers might have been through the roof if he'd been completely healthy. . .

as for him potentially not being a good fit for our system, i don't buy it. . . the best runner in team history was a pure downhill, north-south runner with very little wiggle in the open field, and stewart fits that mold very well. . . forget moving laterally-- keep your pads square to the goal line, pick a crease and get upfield, lower your shoulder and always drive forward for extra yardage-- punish tacklers. . . sound familiar? stewart isn't a good fit, my ass! bobby turner has said on many occasions that vision and burst are the two essential qualities needed to succeed in the ZBS-- stewart's vision is fine, and when his foot is healthy he has more than enough burst to get it done. . .

In PFW's list of the top five running backs in this draft they actually have Stewart ranked number one on there list of prospects.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/topRBs.htm

underrated29
04-06-2008, 10:10 AM

best post of the year right there.

He ran 6/10ths of a second slower than mendehall at the combine with his broken toe

haroldthebarrel
04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Mendenhall is my first choice, but I wouldnt be bummed about any of the top three. I think our coaching staff will prepare them to dominate, and Shanny will get the most out of them.

Mendenhall is a homerun threat, and since that makes a big difference on secondaries, Id rather have that threat available, than not have it.

He can do it all, and I think he will.......especially if he runs in Denver.

Definitely a better back than Marshawn Lynch, and look how well he ran for Buffalo.

Mendenhall is the better receiver too.

Thats where my vote is cast if we pick a RB at 12.

I agree. I think that we might even have him in front of McFadden.
Still, I just dont see us taking a rb in the first round knowing the class is so deep that there should be good rbs there in the early fourth round.

If we manage to trade down and pick up a third rounder I suspect you can almost pencil in a rb taking with one of our picks in the third or fourth.

I wouldnt pick a rb in the first when I am almost certian that either Rice, Smith or Brown should be there later on. all should fit what Turner talks about in vision, quick feet and taking the one cut and go as well.
In fact, it wouldnt surprise me if one of these players have better careers than the top ones if they are lucky with the team that picks them.

come to think of it, both Boyd and Choice might also be players we will look pretty closely at as well.

WARHORSE
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree. I think that we might even have him in front of McFadden.
Still, I just dont see us taking a rb in the first round knowing the class is so deep that there should be good rbs there in the early fourth round.

If we manage to trade down and pick up a third rounder I suspect you can almost pencil in a rb taking with one of our picks in the third or fourth.

I wouldnt pick a rb in the first when I am almost certian that either Rice, Smith or Brown should be there later on. all should fit what Turner talks about in vision, quick feet and taking the one cut and go as well.
In fact, it wouldnt surprise me if one of these players have better careers than the top ones if they are lucky with the team that picks them.

come to think of it, both Boyd and Choice might also be players we will look pretty closely at as well.

Although I think Mendenhall is the best fit for Denver, the difference if we drafted Stewart would be about splitting hairs. I think theyre both great backs to have in your backfield. But oneof the hairs I would split would be the fact that Stewart has taken alot more punishment than Mendenhall to this point. His running style is more punishing to defenders........and him as well. Taking hits does take a toll on RBs, and when you one day take one hit too many, your body stops being able to do the same things it did before. Mendenhall is both physical and somewhat elusive, with the long threat. He scratches for every inch. He also has taken alot less punishement to this point in his career over Stewart. When youre investing millions of dollars into draft selections, you also have to look at who might have the longest career running for us as well.

Also, although I think its substantial that Stewart ran with an injured big toe.............it was an injured big toe. The big toe is critical to RBs, and I dont think I want the guy who has to deal with an injury that is known to be a recurring one, vs one who has no injury to this point. He may go on to never have another problem with that toe for the rest of his career.......but who knows?

Its just smart football.

TXBRONC
04-06-2008, 12:04 PM
best post of the year right there.

He ran 6/10ths of a second slower than mendehall at the combine with his broken toe

And he weighs about ten pounds more than Mendenhall.

BOSSHOGG30
04-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Although I think Mendenhall is the best fit for Denver, the difference if we drafted Stewart would be about splitting hairs. I think theyre both great backs to have in your backfield. But oneof the hairs I would split would be the fact that Stewart has taken alot more punishment than Mendenhall to this point. His running style is more punishing to defenders........and him as well. Taking hits does take a toll on RBs, and when you one day take one hit too many, your body stops being able to do the same things it did before. Mendenhall is both physical and somewhat elusive, with the long threat. He scratches for every inch. He also has taken alot less punishement to this point in his career over Stewart. When youre investing millions of dollars into draft selections, you also have to look at who might have the longest career running for us as well.

Also, although I think its substantial that Stewart ran with an injured big toe.............it was an injured big toe. The big toe is critical to RBs, and I dont think I want the guy who has to deal with an injury that is known to be a recurring one, vs one who has no injury to this point. He may go on to never have another problem with that toe for the rest of his career.......but who knows?

Its just smart football.

He is 21 years old... I think he will be ok. We aren't talking about a 24 or 25 year old kid here. He averaged less than 175 touches a year.

dogfish
04-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Stewart has taken alot more punishment than Mendenhall to this point. His running style is more punishing to defenders........and him as well. Taking hits does take a toll on RBs, and when you one day take one hit too many, your body stops being able to do the same things it did before. Mendenhall is both physical and somewhat elusive, with the long threat. He scratches for every inch. He also has taken alot less punishement to this point in his career over Stewart. When youre investing millions of dollars into draft selections, you also have to look at who might have the longest career running for us as well.

i don't know why you'd say that, war. . . not counting kick returns (too lazy to look it up ATM), stewart had 565 touches in college to mendenhall's 447. . . besides, the guy is 235 pounds of pure muscle and he runs with a naturally low center of gravity-- he's built to handle plenty of punishment, that's one of the things i like about him. . .

TXBRONC
04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
i don't know why you'd say that, war. . . not counting kick returns (too lazy to look it up ATM), stewart had 565 touches in college to mendenhall's 447. . . besides, the guy is 235 pounds of pure muscle and he runs with a naturally low center of gravity-- he's built to handle plenty of punishment, that's one of the things i like about him. . .

What you think about the criticism that Stewart has short choppy steps and is somewhat stiff in the hips?

honz
04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Don't we want a back that delivers and takes punishment? If I recall, that is exactly what the best running back Denver has ever had liked to do.

Needless to say, I am a Stewart guy, but I would honestly be very happy with both.

*Wow, I should really read my posts before submitting them...

dogfish
04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
What you think about the criticism that Stewart has short choppy steps and is somewhat stiff in the hips?

doesn't particularly bother me-- there's no player so good they can't find SOME weakness or flaw in his game, and tightness in his hips won't prevent him from coming downhill like a mack truck. . . i'll take that any day over a back who's afraid of contact, can't run through arm tackles, or has fumbling issues. . .

BOSSHOGG30
04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
For you that think Stewart is just a power back, you haven't seen him play too much. He is very shifty and is good at avoiding contact. He doesn't always look to run someone over. Sometimes he gets to shifty and that is why he takes the bigger hits.

Lonestar
04-06-2008, 03:17 PM
For you that think Stewart is just a power back, you haven't seen him play too much. He is very shifty and is good at avoiding contact. He doesn't always look to run someone over. Sometimes he gets to shifty and that is why he takes the bigger hits.

Something Bobby will fix...