PDA

View Full Version : Broncos need more from '09 draft class

broncofaninfla
03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Broncos need more from '09 draft class (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/broncos-need-more-from-09-draft-class/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 19, 2010 12:56 PM ET
The Denver team of Josh McDaniels and G.M. Brian Xanders did a great job with their first free agent class, picking up Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Jabar Gaffney, and Correll Buckhalter. They all made big impacts.

McDaniels' first rookie class wasn't so lucky. The Denver Post notes in an excellent article Friday that the Broncos received very little production from their rookies (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14705465#ixzz0idr9dkWT) considering they had five picks in the first two rounds and ten picks overall.

Knowshon Moreno was the only starter among them; Frank Schwab's favorite player (http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/26/offseason-spotlight-running-backs/2249/) was up-and-down. Fellow first-rounder Robert Ayers was slow to develop. Second-round picks safety Darcel McBath, cornerback Alphonso Smith, and tight end Richard Quinn did even less.

McDaniels reached into the 2000 Belichick playbook by signing a high volume of low-cost veterans and seeing a number of them stick. The Broncos also spent big in free agency this year.

It's too early to call the '09 Broncos draft class a bust. They have time to develop, but McDaniels needs to get a lot more from them this season. He also needs to show he can draft like his mentor does.

Better yet, he should draft like his mentor used to.

SOCALORADO.
03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Darcel McBath was absolutley fantastic.
The FS position is in good hands in DEN.

arapaho2
03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
knowshon was just ok...i believe he will be a great back or at least a steady professional for years to come

ayers i believe will come into his own...maylock said give him a few years and he will be the best def player taken in the draft...

mcbath is for real...in time

alphonso...i dont have much hope for..all the accolades in college..didnt amount to a player who could even manage the nickle...had he been a 4-6 rnd pick i could say give him time he'll get there, but at a first rnd value he needed to step up and show something, he couldnt. its not like we had a world of talent above him to beat out for time

quinns time will come after grahms time is done

broncofaninfla
03-19-2010, 12:15 PM

I agree, I like McBath a lot. Has a good nose for the football, playing behind Dawkins and Hill will only help him get better.

Northman
03-19-2010, 12:28 PM
He also needs to show he can draft like his mentor does.

Absolutely.

dogfish
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
man, it IS kinda painful to realize that we had THREE second rounders last year and really didn't get a damn thing out of them beyond a couple of picks from mcbath. . .

UnderArmour
03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Alphonso Smith is a ball hawk, problem is he was really slow in developing last year. McBath was playing behind Bruton early on, some players just understand NFL level faster than others. Certainly being humbled by the likes of NFL greats and future HOFers Ty Law, Champ Bailey, and Brian Dawkins can only add to his hopes of one day becoming elite, but for now I'd just like to see him contribute.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
03-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Alphonso Smith doesn't seem like much of a cover corner. Yeah he can fly to the ball occasionally and make big plays, but that's what safeties are for not cb's. Knowshon was pretty average but I think he'll eventually be great or at least good, darcel mcbath was beasting every time he saw the field. Robert ayers...we'll see.

DenBronx
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Bruton is SS and McBath is FS. So I doubt that David affected any of Darcels playing time.

Lonestar
03-20-2010, 12:11 AM
I wonder why we expect more from Joshes first draft class than almost all of mikes combined.

I think that they will come around after adjusting to NFL speed and play books.

Big transition from college ball where you are playing against one possibly two NFL caliber players across the LOS to 11.

Some make it some do not.

Lets have a level playing field when comparing busts.

broncohead
03-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I wonder why we expect more from Joshes first draft class than almost all of mikes combined.

Big transition from college ball where you are playing against one possibly two NFL caliber players across the LOS to 11.

McD is the coach now so he's the one who will catch the heat. It's no secret Shanny was horrible when it came to drafting anything but late round OL and RBs

Lonestar
03-20-2010, 09:06 AM
McD is the coach now so he's the one who will catch the heat. It's no secret Shanny was horrible when it came to drafting anything but late round OL and RBs
Yes I am aware of who the HC is now.

But lest we forget he had scant time to get the broncos house in order prior to the draft. Many other things to do before they (coaches) could ask th scouts what thy had.

I suspect that bcause the scouting dept had been looking primarily for shanny type players there was little to pick from after moving from smaller faster finese guys, to power football players.
That in itself may have limited the number of options on the draft board. Not to mention the lack of quality DL guys available.

I suspect that having a full year to prep for this draft things will improve.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

JDL
03-20-2010, 10:41 AM

He wasn't fantastic I wouldn't say... but he did show some signs of good play. He wasn't flashing big plays like an elite safety but I do think he will be a good/solid safety in the league and that is what he projected to be.

atwater27
03-20-2010, 12:16 PM

PLEASE

Shanahan had some dreadful drafts, I know. But he and his team had some amazing years in 06 and 08. We were on to something. We were drafting very, very good, even the biggest shanny haters can't deny that.
And don't forget some of the best to ever play for the Broncos, guys like Trevor Pryce, Al Wilson, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis and DJ Williams were all Shanahan picks. So let's have a level playing field when comparing great draft picks.

atwater27
03-20-2010, 12:19 PM

But lest we forget he had scant time to get the broncos house in order prior to the draft. Many other things to do before they (coaches) could ask th scouts what thy had.

I suspect that bcause the scouting dept had been looking primarily for shanny type players there was little to pick from after moving from smaller faster finese guys, to power football players.
That in itself may have limited the number of options on the draft board. Not to mention the lack of quality DL guys available.

Oh Jesus. How low can you guys stoop to defend your golden boy head coach like he was the only female left on earth? Pull crap out of your ass like that? Come ON!

Lancane
03-20-2010, 12:28 PM
PLEASE

Shanahan had some dreadful drafts, I know. But he and his team had some amazing years in 06 and 08. We were on to something. We were drafting very, very good, even the biggest shanny haters can't deny that.
And don't forget some of the best to ever play for the Broncos, guys like Trevor Pryce, Al Wilson, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis and DJ Williams were all Shanahan picks. So let's have a level playing field when comparing great draft picks.

People tend to outweight the good with the bad, we see it with what happened with Cutler and now Marshall, same with Plummer even after he led the team to the AFC Championship Game. I do not know why that is, but it's easiest to do so, to think logically and utilize both ends of the issue would take time. Shanahan was a great head coach, he did well enough as a general manager, but then he began to fail...instead of changing his way or trying to defer responsibility to others he continued to do so, then he began to improve and it was during this time he was let go...not because of bad drafting and personnel decisions but because he refused to fire his friend. I said this before, but if he would have fired who he was told to and switched to the 3-4 by hiring Nolan, they would both still be here.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2010, 01:17 PM
People tend to outweight the good with the bad, we see it with what happened with Cutler and now Marshall, same with Plummer even after he led the team to the AFC Championship Game. I do not know why that is, but it's easiest to do so, to think logically and utilize both ends of the issue would take time. Shanahan was a great head coach, he did well enough as a general manager, but then he began to fail...instead of changing his way or trying to defer responsibility to others he continued to do so, then he began to improve and it was during this time he was let go...not because of bad drafting and personnel decisions but because he refused to fire his friend. I said this before, but if he would have fired who he was told to and switched to the 3-4 by hiring Nolan, they would both still be here.

yeah.. I would love to hear what our team out look and predictions would be like going into 2010 with Shanahan and his offense, and Nolan going into his second year with us after last year's improvments. We definitely would be looking like a team to contend with, as oppose to .... well..... what we are.

but...thats all conjecture.... and you'll hear just as many guessing bad as you will good.

rationalfan
03-20-2010, 11:26 PM

don't worry. one day after this year's draft no one will care about last year's class. for some reason the luster of rookies dulls once a new crop rolls in.

broncobryce
03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I was going to say, broncos need more from a bunch of draft classes. Jarvis Moss....calling Jarvis Moss.

Dean
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM

I suspect that having a full year to prep for this draft things will improve.

If he was not prepared then why did he waste so many picks moving up and trading away a first in this talent rich draft?:eek:

Based upon the players he got for the eleven draft picks he used, yes, I would expect his draft to improve.

rcsodak
03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Broncos need more from '09 draft class (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/broncos-need-more-from-09-draft-class/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 19, 2010 12:56 PM ET
The Denver team of Josh McDaniels and G.M. Brian Xanders did a great job with their first free agent class, picking up Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Jabar Gaffney, and Correll Buckhalter. They all made big impacts.

McDaniels' first rookie class wasn't so lucky. The Denver Post notes in an excellent article Friday that the Broncos received very little production from their rookies (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14705465#ixzz0idr9dkWT) considering they had five picks in the first two rounds and ten picks overall.

Knowshon Moreno was the only starter among them; Frank Schwab's favorite player (http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/26/offseason-spotlight-running-backs/2249/) was up-and-down. Fellow first-rounder Robert Ayers was slow to develop. Second-round picks safety Darcel McBath, cornerback Alphonso Smith, and tight end Richard Quinn did even less.

McDaniels reached into the 2000 Belichick playbook by signing a high volume of low-cost veterans and seeing a number of them stick. The Broncos also spent big in free agency this year.

It's too early to call the '09 Broncos draft class a bust. They have time to develop, but McDaniels needs to get a lot more from them this season. He also needs to show he can draft like his mentor does.

Better yet, he should draft like his mentor used to.

How idiotic.

How many times does it have to be said that grading a draft class at the end of their 1st year is beyond ignorant!

rcsodak
03-21-2010, 08:34 PM

Shanny was the Mastermind, Jr. He dafted with the best of them! :D

rcsodak
03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
PLEASE

14yrs, 5 players that you grade as "best to ever play for the Brocos". :lol:

Seems to me, you should be looking for players that are "best to ever play. PERIOD". :salute:

rcsodak
03-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh Jesus. How low can you guys stoop to defend your golden boy head coach like he was the only female left on earth? Pull crap out of your ass like that? Come ON!

I don't think Jr considers himself to be Jesus.

And how long will you continue to bash/berate every action/non-action of McD?

Evidently, you must own some outstanding credentials in the How-to's of NFL Head Coaching.

We, on the other hand, give credit/ridicule when it's due. But not unabashedly as you and your ilk do.

rcsodak
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I was going to say, broncos need more from a bunch of draft classes. Jarvis Moss....calling Jarvis Moss.

Hmmmm....wasn't he a 1st rounder.....

....by Shanny in 07? :confused:

Funny how some claim Shanny showed "improvement" in drafting in '06 & '08. :rolleyes:

atwater27
03-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Hmmmm....wasn't he a 1st rounder.....

....by Shanny in 07? :confused:

Funny how some claim Shanny showed "improvement" in drafting in '06 & '08. :rolleyes:

Prove he didn't. I gotta hear this one.

atwater27
03-21-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't think Jr considers himself to be Jesus.

And how long will you continue to bash/berate every action/non-action of McD?

Evidently, you must own some outstanding credentials in the How-to's of NFL Head Coaching.

We, on the other hand, give credit/ridicule when it's due. But not unabashedly as you and your ilk do.

You obviously haven't seen my posts saying the Quinn trade was the right move. But you and your ilk only see what you want to see. Don't choke on the koolaid.

atwater27
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
14yrs, 5 players that you grade as "best to ever play for the Brocos". :lol:

Seems to me, you should be looking for players that are "best to ever play. PERIOD". :salute:

I didn't include anyone past 05. Nice try though revisionist historian.