PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Thomas Dropping Weight to try 5 tech DE

Spiritguy
03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Here's some interesting info. I know some of you thought he would be better playing the 5 tech rather than NT. So what do you think? Does he have a legit shot at 5 tech with the other folks onboard?

Broncos defensive tackle Marcus Thomas wants to get in shape before he shows up to get in shape.

According to his agent James Burnoski, Thomas was physically beat up by the end of the 2009 season, particularly with a shoulder injury.

While resting up, Thomas weight expanded from his nose-tackle playing weight of 316 pounds to about 336 pounds. Thomas now wants to become a candidate for the five-technique defensive end position and has been working out with a personal trainer to get his weight down to 292 pounds.

“”The Broncos are aware of Marcus’ plans and he plans on reporting there sooner rather than later,” Burnoski said. “”He wants to make weight first and he’s almost there.”

link (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/18/marcus-thomas-cutting-weight/)

EMB6903
03-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Ever since I heard that Denver was switching to a 3-4 scheme I had always thought Thomas would be more effective as a 5 technique, Lets hope it works out.

topscribe
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't bet against him. He has quick feet and a good first step, and he's
very strong. He was considered 1st round talent, coming out of college, and the
only reason he slid was off-field issues, which have not shown up since.

He has the talent. It will be interesting now to see whether he can exploit it. I
hope he can . . .

-----

atwater27
03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
That would be so awesome.

Lancane
03-18-2010, 06:49 PM
That would be so awesome.

Agreed...we should also trade Orton to Oakland for JaMarcus Russell, he's big enough to play 5-tech!

Ziggy
03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
I hope so. DE is where he should have been put in the first place once we went to the 3-4. He has the size, strength, and quickness to be an every down player at the position. Now it's just a matter of learning a new technique. He's a young player, and we certainly need one at that postion. If he doesn't work out, he probably gets cut in preseason. If he does, we have another building block.

Dean
03-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Agreed...we should also trade Orton to Oakland for JaMarcus Russell, he's big enough to play 5-tech!

. . . or nose for that matter.

dogfish
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
yea, i'm one of those who've always thought he'd be better suited at the five-tech. . . i still don't think it's a great fit for him, but it's better than the zero-technique, which is simply a position he was never cut out to play at this level. . .

i'd say he has to be considered a long shot to stick beyond this year either way, but at least this gives him a chance. . .

silkamilkamonico
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand this 0 technique, 4 technique, 5 technigue, 8 technique, whatever. My football ignorance tells me all dline needs to do is get in there stance whatever they feel comfortable and make a push on their assignment lane.

What makes player A good at what technique...whatever...

xzn
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Marcus is 6'3 and if he gets his weight down to at least 300 he has the physical frame to excel. Bannan is 6'3 310. Mc Bean is 300.

The real question is not about his physical ability, he is a talented big guy (remember his standing backflip?), it is about if and how soon he can learn technique.

I think he's worth keeping as a developmental guy, if he works out we'd have Mc Bean, Thomas and Baker as young guys who can contribute in rotation now and could develop into reliable starters down the road.

DenBronx
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
how about he learns the run stuff technic first?

xzn
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand this 0 technique, 4 technique, 5 technigue, 8 technique, whatever. My football ignorance tells me all dline needs to do is get in there stance whatever they feel comfortable and make a push on their assignment lane.

What makes player A good at what technique...whatever...

0 is directly over the center, not shaded to either side.

1 is in the "A" gap between center and guard.

2 is straight up over the guard.

3 is in the "B" gap between guard and tackle

4 is over tackle

5 technique is shaded on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

In a 34 front the DE needs to be able to maintain outside leverage on the OT at the point of attack on an off tackle run at them or be able to stack and shed on a run away from them and crash down the line on their pursuit angle to take away cut backs from the runner. On a pass play they need to be able to threaten the edge with explosive moves or counter to the inside to collapse the pocket.

Does that help?

broncofaninfla
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Add me to the list of people who feel Thomas should have been playing DE in the 3/4 all along. Not only do I think he can contirbute there, I feel he can excel there. Sounds like he is putting the effort forth, I wish him luck and hope this is a good move for both him and the team.

LTC Pain
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
0 is directly over the center, not shaded to either side.

1 is in the "A" gap between center and guard.

2 is straight up over the guard.

3 is in the "B" gap between guard and tackle

4 is over tackle

5 technique is shaded on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

In a 34 front the DE needs to be able to maintain outside leverage on the OT at the point of attack on an off tackle run at them or be able to stack and shed on a run away from them and crash down the line on their pursuit angle to take away cut backs from the runner. On a pass play they need to be able to threaten the edge with explosive moves or counter to the inside to collapse the pocket.

Does that help?

It sure helps me xzn as I didn't know any of this stuff! Thanks!