PDA

View Full Version : would you be upset if we traded......

T.K.O.
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
kyle orton ?
i realize there are alot of bronco fans who think orton is "average at best" and i don't want to start that old debate again.
i just want to get an idea of how many think it would be a smart move,now that we have quinn,a guy mcD obviously thinks he can improve with proper coaching and/or playing time,to see what we could get for orton.
it may set us back a year in our rebuilding efforts (and it may not).
but most believe orton is only gonna be here 1 more year anyway.
my thought is that orton is coming off his best statistical year of his career and their are plenty of teams who have major concerns at qb,we just picked up quinn and will likely draft a qb by round 3.....so what do we do with kyle?
keep him for 1 year and start over?
start over now with quinn?
i saw on the post's website that about 58% of those polled want quinn to start in 2010 anyway (which is kinda starnge since he's won about 3 games in his pro career)

Northman
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Trade him for exactly what? He isnt worth anything.

NightTrainLayne
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I've been a supporter of giving McD a chance to build the team in his vision, but if he trades Orton now, I'd seriously have to start questioning wtf he is doing.

I know several knowledgeable posters think that Quinn will be starting for us next year, but I just don't see it. I see it as more of improving at back-up, and if we're lucky, the light goes off and he becomes the starter. But at this point to trade away the guy who at least has a year in the system, and hoping for Quinn to step in and win for us is just too much hoping and wishing.

SOCALORADO.
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
kyle orton ?
i realize there are alot of bronco fans who think orton is "average at best" and i don't want to start that old debate again.
i just want to get an idea of how many think it would be a smart move,now that we have quinn,a guy mcD obviously thinks he can improve with proper coaching and/or playing time,to see what we could get for orton.
it may set us back a year in our rebuilding efforts (and it may not).
but most believe orton is only gonna be here 1 more year anyway.
my thought is that orton is coming off his best statistical year of his career and their are plenty of teams who have major concerns at qb,we just picked up quinn and will likely draft a qb by round 3.....so what do we do with kyle?
keep him for 1 year and start over?
start over now with quinn?
i saw on the post's website that about 58% of those polled want quinn to start in 2010 anyway (which is kinda starnge since he's won about 3 games in his pro career)

Why do you think DEN is going to draft a QB by round 3?
Winning 3 games in CLE is considered a miracle.
Kyle Orton is a career back up and will do just that for his remaining time in DEN.

broncofaninfla
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
It depends on who or what we traded him for.

T.K.O.
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I've been a supporter of giving McD a chance to build the team in his vision, but if he trades Orton now, I'd seriously have to start questioning wtf he is doing.

I know several knowledgeable posters think that Quinn will be starting for us next year, but I just don't see it. I see it as more of improving at back-up, and if we're lucky, the light goes off and he becomes the starter. But at this point to trade away the guy who at least has a year in the system, and hoping for Quinn to step in and win for us is just too much hoping and wishing.

i agree it would set us back, however quinn is very familiar with the system the broncos run.
but, if kyle is only gonna be here another year,what's the difference ?
if a team offered us a 2nd and maybe a depth guy for either line it might be smart in the long run.another 2nd pick might get us pouncey.
i think kyle could play very well this year and if he can stay healthy,he gives us a legit playoff shot.
i don't think it's a good idea to trade him,just wanted to hear other opinions .as i am shocked that it seems more fans want quinn to start already.

T.K.O.
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Why do you think DEN is going to draft a QB by round 3?
Winning 3 games in CLE is considered a miracle.
Kyle Orton is a career back up and will do just that for his remaining time in DEN.

career back up ?
uhh he started 15 games last year ?and has won over 60 % of the games he started in the nfl.
i think you're mistaking him for cassell;)

T.K.O.
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Trade him for exactly what? He isnt worth anything.

he played better than most qb's in the game with a new coach,team and system (not to mention 2 fairly severe injuries) but you "nailed it" he's a worthless pile of dung....thanks for the incredible insight.

Broncolingus
03-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure what Denver could get for him and I can't think of anyone who could come in and take over - at this point anyway.

...plus, at least Orton has a season under his belt and should be a millisecond or two faster now on those 5-10 yard dump off passes.

claymore
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
It would just be another day at Dove Valley IMO. I wouldnt be upset or happy.

Ravage!!!
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I think NTL has a great point. Although we know I'm not a supporter of Orton's in the least, I would REALLY wonder wth is going on if we traded our starting QB at this point. Especially for basically the same 'kind' of QB in Quinn.

I also believe that we do draft a QB. Orton won't be here after this season, imo. So we do have to draft for the future. Orton won't stay around as the back-up in Denver. He'll back up somewhere else.

How many times do you see the incumbent starter stick around and be the back-up for the guy that came in and replaced him? Never. People thought Plummer would stick around and back-up Cutler. Doesn't happen.

Ravage!!!
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
career back up ?
uhh he started 15 games last year ?and has won over 60 % of the games he started in the nfl.
i think you're mistaking him for cassell;)

Uhmmm. how so? Cassell is a starting QB in the NFL.

Orton is a career back-up. He may move from team to team, starting for a season as they don't have a starter, but will always be replaced for someone that has more talent. It will soon be his third team in the NFL... that doesn't exactly spell "starter".... that screams "filler."

claymore
03-18-2010, 11:24 AM

I think NTL has a great point. Although we know I'm not a supporter of Orton's in the least, I would REALLY wonder wth is going on if we traded our starting QB at this point. Especially for basically the same 'kind' of QB in Quinn.

I also believe that we do draft a QB. Orton won't be here after this season, imo. So we do have to draft for the future. Orton won't stay around as the back-up in Denver. He'll back up somewhere else.

How many times do you see the incumbent starter stick around and be the back-up for the guy that came in and replaced him? Never. People thought Plummer would stick around and back-up Cutler. Doesn't happen.
Just out of curiosity... How would this move be any more weird then the other moves? Or would it just be your breaking point?

MileHighCrew
03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I depends. I think Kyle will be a good back up for Brady!!!!

T.K.O.
03-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Orton is a career back-up. He may move from team to team, starting for a season as they don't have a starter, but will always be replaced for someone that has more talent. It will soon be his third team in the NFL... that doesn't exactly spell "starter".... that screams "filler."

cassell had'nt started a game since high school until he got a shot,and played like crap last year.
orton has won the starting job 3 times and is expected to be the starter again next year.
so when comparing those 2 orton is the more proven qb.
but again this thread is about whether people thing a trade is a good idea at this point,with this team,and this qb.
not about if we "like" orton or think he's a pile.
i want to know if people are willing to take the lumps of starting fresh with a different qb for a pick or 2.
or they think it would be smarter to keep him another year with the hopes he can play well and guide us to the playoffs.
after all we were 1 win away with a brutal schedule and a bouncing baby HC

claymore
03-18-2010, 11:33 AM
cassell had'nt started a game since high school until he got a shot,and played like crap last year.
orton has won the starting job 3 times and is expected to be the starter again next year.
so when comparing those 2 orton is the more proven qb.
but again this thread is about whether people thing a trade is a good idea at this point,with this team,and this qb.
not about if we "like" orton or think he's a pile.
i want to know if people are willing to take the lumps of starting fresh with a different qb for a pick or 2.
or they think it would be smarter to keep him another year with the hopes he can play well and guide us to the playoffs.
after all we were 1 win away with a brutal schedule and a bouncing baby HC
Ortons competition thus far has been Grossman and Simms. I doubt Orton would have done well in KC last year.

LTC Pain
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm for any moves that will improve this team from 8-8!

roomemp
03-18-2010, 11:35 AM

I don't see how you can say Orton is a career backup..........His Win to Loss ratio is no where near a backups.......

I see it as follows........Orton is a good starter..........Or he is a crazy great backup. Although he would be a crazy good backup, he is still a good starter.

I just don't understand why some people HATE him so much. I don't get it. Thats Bears fans and Broncos fans alike

Ravage!!!
03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't see how you can say Orton is a career backup..........His Win to Loss ratio is no where near a backups.......

I see it as follows........Orton is a good starter..........Or he is a crazy great backup. Although he would be a crazy good backup, he is still a good starter.

He's a starter that keeps getting replaced. He's a starter that got beat out by Grossman.

He's a starter that the coach, JUST went out and traded for a guy he wanted BEFORE Orton to compete for the starting job.

He's a filler. He's the guy you have fill in the starting spot, UNTIL you find the one you want.... then you replace him.

He's a back-up quality player that is filling in for starting roles. We have seen this with a lot of QBs in teh NFL. They roam from team to team that doesn't have anyone with starting experience, and plays with them for a year or so, until they are replaced by better talent. Then they move on again.

roomemp
03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
He's a starter that keeps getting replaced. He's a starter that got beat out by Grossman.

He's a starter that the coach, JUST went out and traded for a guy he wanted BEFORE Orton to compete for the starting job.

He's a filler. He's the guy you have fill in the starting spot, UNTIL you find the one you want.... then you replace him.

He's a back-up quality player that is filling in for starting roles. We have seen this with a lot of QBs in teh NFL. They roam from team to team that doesn't have anyone with starting experience, and plays with them for a year or so, until they are replaced by better talent. Then they move on again.

I agree with everything you just said but that doesn't make him a career back up........He is still a starter he just might not be a franchise QB like Manning or Brady. He is still a solid starter not just a back up

Elway and the Broncos spoiled us fans.........Fanchise QB"S are truely rare to find.

Lancane
03-18-2010, 11:50 AM
No...

This is one thing that McDaniels did this off-season that bothers me, Orton and Kuper should have both been given lower tenures. I would have done a second round tenure for Kuper, but only a third round tenure on Orton.

Chances are that Kuper had a better chance to find another team, especially since he really does not fit the new blocking scheme well. Orton would have already have netted us a pick, from either Seattle or Cleveland, maybe Washington or even Arizona.

So would I be upset if they traded him? Not a chance in hell, he is nothing more then a stop-gap journeyman and I would rather we threw Brandstater or Quinn in the fire and see what they can do.

roomemp
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
No...

This is one thing that McDaniels did this off-season that bothers me, Orton and Kuper should have both been given lower tenures. I would have done a second round tenure for Kuper, but only a third round tenure on Orton.

Chances are that Kuper had a better chance to find another team, especially since he really does not fit the new blocking scheme well. Orton would have already have netted us a pick, from either Seattle or Cleveland, maybe Washington or even Arizona.

So would I be upset if they traded him? Not a chance in hell, he is nothing more then a stop-gap journeyman and I would rather we threw Brandstater or Quinn in the fire and see what they can do.

We could not afford to give Kups away. We are already replacing 2 interior offensive line spots .

With that said....Orton is more valuable to us this year than a 3rd round pick. At the time of the tender Quinn was not on the team so he does not factor into this. If we gave away Orton, We probably would have had Brandstater, Simms, and a rook.........Thats a pretty scary group to go into the season with (and I don't mean that in a good way"

dogfish
03-18-2010, 12:00 PM
would you be upset if we traded......

kyle orton ?

yea. . . i don't love the guy as our starting quarterback, but he's kinda the only one we have. . . if we traded him we'd win three games next year barring getting really lucky in the draft. . .

in any case, we're clearly NOT going to, so there's no point spending a lot of time discussing it. . . .

*shrugs*

T.K.O.
03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
with teams paying 5-7 mil a year for guys like anderson and whitehurst,i think if we had'nt put the 1st rnd tender on orton he would either be gone or we would be matching an offer around double what we are scheduled to pay him.
it was a smart move on the F.O.'s part to put a high tender on a guy who did a pretty damn good job last year and is expected to be better next.

TXBRONC
03-18-2010, 12:17 PM

If I remember correctly McDaniels did show interested in Quinn going back to about this time last season. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying this guy is the future of the Broncos but I don't think he brought Quinn in as just a back up with no thought he might be able to challenge Orton because he has ran this base offense in college.

There is just no way that McDaniels wasn't aware of the fact that Quinn ran this offense in college and while I admit I don't know that for absolute fact I just can't see McDaniels not being aware of this. Now this is where I believe McDaniels did a superb job with this move. If he has in the back of mind that Quinn might be able to compete then he will look like a five star freakin genius if Quinn blossoms. If Quinn can't he'll know relatively quickly but he'll still have back up quarterback position covered and wont have lost anything in the process.

SOCALORADO.
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Spot on.
Hes a filler who always has played for teams that have a really good defense, which allows him to just be a caretaker of the offense, and let the defense win the game.
Once teams last year stacked the box and congested the intermidiate and short passing lanes,daring Orton to throw deep, which he cant, Orton fell apart. Which in turn caused the defense to fall apart cause they were always running back onto the field after yet another 3 and out by Orton and Co.
He worth nothing more than a 6th. But hes a really good back-up to keep.
Orton=backup

WARHORSE
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
We wont be trading Orton for anything that doesnt involve getting another QB.

Like a first rounder.

What teams would want Kyle?

Raiders?
Rams?
Bills?
Skins?
Seahawks?
Jags?
Niners?

These are the only teams I see as having issues at QB.(oh, and Chicago)

Kyle got tagged essentially cause hes more valuable to us vs everyone else.