PDA

View Full Version : Keith Rivers Pro Day puts him on the Clock

WARHORSE
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Rivers ran a 4.51 and jumped an astonishing 40.5 inches in his verticle.

This at 6' 3" and 241 lbs. Thats incredible and this guy can play.

Very good at blitzing, sideline to sideline player, huge, a three down player.

He just moved up my draft board.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
We already have a 1st round linebacker with pro bowl potential at WILL. You might of heard of him.... D.J. Williams.

tubby
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
We already have a 1st round linebacker with pro bowl potential at WILL. You might of heard of him.... D.J. Williams.

He had 141 tackles in the middle last year why would we move him back to Will?

:D

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Because he should of had 160 :D And Kootie is going to get one shot to impress and if he doesn't we will draft a MLB next year.

Take your pick:

Rey Maualuga
Jasper Brinkley
James Laurinaitis

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Because he should of had 160 :D And Kootie is going to get one shot to impress and if he doesn't we will draft a MLB next year.

Take your pick:

Rey Maualuga
Jasper Brinkley
James Laurinaitis

Maualuga will be the next Junior Seau.

mopatt24
04-03-2008, 11:24 AM

Take your pick:

Rey Maualuga
Jasper Brinkley
James Laurinaitis

Rey = Pure Beast

underrated29
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Thats nice. But we dont need him.

NameUsedBefore
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
No idea who he is but if he's available and the only OT/DT's left aren't worth it, I think you go the Patriots-route and just make a pick based on pure value. (We kinda need some LB, too)

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
We will be wishing we were needing a linebacker in next years draft more than this years draft.

I say give Kootie a shot. Move D.J. back to Weak and Boss Bailey is a natural SAM. We aren't going far this year anyways. If Kootie doesn't work we will be more than happy with the MLB coming out in next years draft. If Kootie does work out then we have one lesser need.

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
The problem is Maualuga and Laurinitis would most liely have been top 10 picks this year. Assuming they improve, I think the same fate holds true for them in next years draft. Are we going to be bad enough to nab one of them?

If we stick at 12 and Rivers is the best player to suit our needs, I have no problem taking him. I've never been impresed with Bailey.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 12:19 PM
The problem is Maualuga and Laurinitis would most liely have been top 10 picks this year. Assuming they improve, I think the same fate holds true for them in next years draft. Are we going to be bad enough to nab one of them?

If we stick at 12 and Rivers is the best player to suit our needs, I have no problem taking him. I've never been impresed with Bailey.

Why can't you trade up to get Maualuga or Laurinitis? If you have a need go and get it.

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Why can't you trade up to get Maualuga or Laurinitis? If you have a need go and get it.

I don't want to assume we'll have a willing trade partner.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't want to assume we'll have a willing trade partner.

You always have someone wanting out of the top 10... always and I doubt the 3 MLB's I have listed will all go in the top 10

lex
04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Pass

shank
04-03-2008, 01:25 PM

lol tubbs. we've been over this.

Maualuga will be the next Junior Seau.

great, you just ruined maualuga for me...

draft laurinitis!

underrated29
04-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Coach, i dont know much about next years draft class, but when was the last time 3 lb were even taken before 11?

Plus there is that knoshawn moreno who is top 10, and i am sure there are 1 or 2 qbs who will be as well as some dt's de's and ol. If they all did go top 10 like maybe you are thinking then we (if we are gonna suck again) should be in line for some prime dt,de,ol,s that should have but didnt go top 10.

LRtagger
04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
you also have to assume that if we dont go RB in this draft we will all be wanting a stud RB in the first next year (Knowshon)

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Plus everyone is sating wait til next year to draft a safety when there will be some good ones out there. So what do we do? Draft a LB, S or RB in the first next year?

I know that not all 3 MLB's will go top 10, but are we assuming we'll have a top 15 pick? What if we win 10 and steal a playoff game? Then what do we give up to move into the top 15? Just too many assumptions involved to play a waiting game.

lex
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
you also have to assume that if we dont go RB in this draft we will all be wanting a stud RB in the first next year (Knowshon)

No thanks. Pass.

Retired_Member_001
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't be overly dissapointed if we went with Keith Rivers, however I wouldn't be over the moon about it. There are better options (Stewart, Clady).

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Plus everyone is sating wait til next year to draft a safety when there will be some good ones out there. So what do we do? Draft a LB, S or RB in the first next year?

I know that not all 3 MLB's will go top 10, but are we assuming we'll have a top 15 pick? What if we win 10 and steal a playoff game? Then what do we give up to move into the top 15? Just too many assumptions involved to play a waiting game.

We have a lot of draft picks this year. We need to address OT, RB, WR, and DT in this years draft. We don't need to worry about anything else. If we can't address four positions with a 12th overall pick, a mid-round 2nd, two 4th's, two 5th's, a 6th, and two 7th's... then something is wrong. That is 9 picks for 4 positions.

We should have three targets next year maybe four, and you have to remember free agency can always take care of at least one need.... MLB, if Kootie doesn't pan out, and Safety. I don't see why Denver can't have a guy like Taylor Mays and move up in the draft and get him. Trade away picks... who cares. We are already a young team and this years draft will only make us younger and deepier.

S- Weakness in 2009 (taylor Mays?)
CB -Champ, Bly, Foxworth, Paymah (I don't see this as a weakness next year do you?
OLB - Boss and Williams (young and locked up)
DE - Moss, Dumervil, Crowder, Engelberger (young and locked up)
DT - Thomas and 2008 rookie (young and locked up)

OT - Harris, Pears, Kuper 2008 rookie (young and locked up)
OG - Kuper, holland, Hamilton (could be a weakness in 2009 because Hamilton will have to slide over to C if Nalen doens't come back)
C- Hamilton? (I see this as a weakness in 2009)
QB- Cutler (young and locked up)
RB- Young, Hall, and 2008 Rookie (young and locked up)
WR- Marshall, Stokely, Colbert, 2008 Rookie (young and locked up)
TE - Graham and Scheffler (young and locked up)

Your talking a super talented and young team, similar to how the Chargers were built in just two years, if you play it smart. 2010! SUPERBOWL!

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM

it would be nasty to have 3 linebackers with that type of athletisism though. Rivers playing Next to DJ for the next 5 years is a dream and would clearly improve our front 7.

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't be overly dissapointed if we went with Keith Rivers, however I wouldn't be over the moon about it. There are better options (Stewart, Clady).

stewart shouldnt even be in the discussion anymore for us at 12. Mendenhall definately but Stewart already having toe problems concerns a lot of NFL Front offices

Retired_Member_001
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
stewart shouldnt even be in the discussion anymore for us at 12. Mendenhall definately but Stewart already having toe problems concerns a lot of NFL Front offices

Trade down a couple of spots for him.

Once he has his surgery he will be fine.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I like Rivers a lot, I know most don't -- but I think he'll be a great pro.

As for DJ Williams having Pro-Bowl potential at WILL, are you serious? In Slowik's scheme he'll be asked to blitz and there will also be more emphasis on him in passing coverage. Those are two things he's not really good at. I feel sorry for DJ, being moved around now his fourth time (WILL, SLB, MIKE, now WILL again) has got to piss him off. I hope for the best, but meh.

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM

As for DJ Williams having Pro-Bowl potential at WILL, are you serious? In Slowik's scheme he'll be asked to blitz and there will also be more emphasis on him in passing coverage. Those are two things he's not really good at. I feel sorry for DJ, being moved around now his fourth time (WILL, SLB, MIKE, now WILL again) has got to piss him off. I hope for the best, but meh.

ya this is getting ridiculous starting atleast 1 year at every linebacker position is a complete joke, I wish we had just kept him at Middle for the rest of his career with the Broncos, last year at Middle was unbelievable seeing that we had no DT's in front of him and it was the first year hes ever played the position.

lex
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Trade down a couple of spots for him.

Once he has his surgery he will be fine.

Yeah, all we have to do is conjure the Trade Down Fairy...it's easy.

Retired_Member_001
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, all we have to do is conjure the Trade Down Fairy...it's easy.

When draft day comes round all kind of trade possibilities come up. I know you keep having a go at "Who are we going to trade down with?" but when Draft day comes up things change. Players fall for example, which will make a team want to trade up to get a guy they never thought they could get.

For example, I doubt that the trade with Jacksonville last draft was "planned". It was mos probably something that just came up on draft day.

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
When draft day comes round all kind of trade possibilities come up. I know you keep having a go at "Who are we going to trade down with?" but when Draft day comes up things change. Players fall for example, which will make a team want to trade up to get a guy they never thought they could get.

For example, I doubt that the trade with Jacksonville last draft was "planned". It was mos probably something that just came up on draft day.

that was one of the dumbest things Shanahan has ever done, right when we moved up I thought Reggie Nelson was ours, but we take Jarvis Moss... SMH...

if we just stayed put he would have been right there and we wouldnt have had to give up a draft pick for it.

tubby
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
that was one of the dumbest things Shanahan has ever done, right when we moved up I thought Reggie Nelson was ours, but we take Jarvis Moss... SMH...

if we just stayed put he would have been right there and we wouldnt have had to give up a draft pick for it.

10-4 Jwalk

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM
lol, you think Im jwalk?

tubby
04-03-2008, 05:15 PM
lol, you think Im jwalk?

You got to be. I don't know anyone else who can talk football so good.

Try and keep your nose clean this time. And try not to sue anyone.....:rolleyes:

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
just because I dont suck up and actually know what Im talking about doesnt make me Infa, He was the one who got me on Broncosfreak awhile back... Ima tell him you still have him in your head though.

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
No idea who he is but if he's available and the only OT/DT's left aren't worth it, I think you go the Patriots-route and just make a pick based on pure value. (We kinda need some LB, too)

NUB brace yourself, but I agree with you, but I would also add if all of the top three running backs are gone as well.

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
damn 6 people in here... LETS TALK FOOTBALL???

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
what do you guys think of Drafting Brandon Albert at #12?

In my opinion hes the best Olineman in this class, guy dominated everybody that he went up against in college, and Mayock said hes the best blocker hes ever seen in space.

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM

I dont see us having a shot at Maualuga, or Laurinitis and drafting into the top 10 is as rare as it gets

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

There was an article written one Denver's local rags and D.J. was asked about playing Mike. He said liked and he stayed that would be great , however if he got moved back to the Will he would mind that either. He just doesn't want to play the Sam position again.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I dont see us having a shot at Maualuga, or Laurinitis and drafting into the top 10 is as rare as it gets

Then draft Darry Beckwith, Brandon Spikes, Darryl Sharpton, Sean Lee, Jasper Brinkley, or Daniel Holtzclaw

2009 is loaded with MLB

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
As for safety, 2009 is super stacked too! You have too look ahead... you can't just look at the current draft.

Taylor Mays,USC, 225 pound safety who can play either safety position and runs a 4.3 forty.

Myron Rolle, Florida St. A safety with no weaknesses in his game

William Moore, Missouri

Nick Harris, Oklahoma

Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech

Kevin Ellison, USC

Derek Pegues, Mississippi St.

Patrick Chung, Oregon

Lovon Ponder, Miami

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, that's if Rolle decides to come out BOSS; and I'm not sure he will. He certainly has that potential; but he's already in graduate school at Florida State as a third year player. He cares a great deal about his academics and he's one of those guys who I wouldn't expect to come out unless he wants to make a life out of football; however he doesn't have to do that -- much like Frank Okam; because he's a genius and quality person off the field.

Also, as a Florida State die hard, I would disagree with your assessment that he doesn't have flaws; (I could elaborate) -- but I agree with you on the depth and potential of next year's safety class. Perhaps the Broncos have looked ahead. I still wouldn't mind a guy like Jamar Adams on Day 2 for some depth; but I too am excited with the possibilities of getting a safety next year; which seems more like a reality after the contracts of Lynch and McCree are up; and whatever happens with Abdullah; since he'll be out of contract unless extended as well.

Drill-N-Fill
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Got Lofton?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X_x4WvWEJO4

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Oh, and I recently read that Washington and Denver were the only teams not at USC's Pro Day. . . haha!

Astrass
04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I'd consider drafting Rivers. He's the best LB on the boards and if Ellis is gone by the 12th I'd consider him. We have only one proven LB in DJ. Bailey did not do good in Detroit and Kodi.... (sp) was a career back-up. Rivers is a natural talent and has played every position at LB at USC. He is adaptable.

Broncospsycho77
04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
This isn't the year for an LB. If it fails this year, it fails. Next year's draft will be stacked, and if our LB corps fail this year, we'll surely have a high enough pick to snag one, as unfortunate as it sounds.

broncohead
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
That would be sweet if Rivers went ahead of Ellis on the Bengals draft board. Just wishfull thinking.

Drill-N-Fill
04-03-2008, 07:32 PM
There is always 1 team in that 8-12 range that reaches. Last year it was Ginn. The year before it was the bills with Donte Witter (sp?).

That means someone nice should be droping to us :elefant:

lex
04-03-2008, 09:39 PM

Like I said, its easy...it virtually falls in your lap...just snap your fingers on draft day.

Lonestar
04-03-2008, 10:43 PM

unless we fixed the LOS could be a real possibility we were 4 FG or 12 point away for being a #3 pick this year..

honz
04-03-2008, 10:52 PM
unless we fixed the LOS could be a real possibility we were 4 FG or 12 point away for being a #3 pick this year..
That would have been AWESOME! Seriously.

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM

JR it's a meaningless point, fact is we didn't finish 3-13 we finished 7-9.

Lonestar
04-04-2008, 01:43 AM
JR it's a meaningless point, fact is we didn't finish 3-13 we finished 7-9.3

It is meaningless to some but those that see the broncos with a clear vision realize that this teams is closer to 3-13 than it is 13-3 and a few even great draft choices will not make this team at the end of the year 13-3 unless the entire Division falls flat on their face and we will everything at home.. Which BTW home Field does not even count as a n advantage any more..

To all that dream mikey is the salvation and things are going to be Super this year.. AIN'T gonna happen folks....

I called it 7-9 last year when everyone else was 10-6 to 14-2.. After seeing how badly we looked I even thought it might go 3-13 and being 12 points from that seemed to reinforce my thought process there.

Last year we had lots of injuries and frankly only two real bright spots on offense last year Jay and Marshall. Now one of them has a huge dark cloud circling his future. Outside to Champ only two on defense DJ and Elvis, with a few comers.. But still have lots of questions about this team..

You can spout 7-9 as your mantra all you wish, we all know deep down inside we were not that good.. Just no one wants to admit how far the mighty have fallen..

Thought I'd be burned in effigy last year when I stated we were rebuilding, no no the faithful replied we were just reloading.. AHAHAHAHA

Maybe mikey should get a new nick name mikey obama. Mr Hope and Change..

Hey I like that!!!!!!

shank
04-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Oh, and I recently read that Washington and Denver were the only teams not at USC's Pro Day. . . haha!

i am not religious, but will pray that this means we are targeting ellis.

(even though you're not big on getting another 3-tech)

EMB6903
04-04-2008, 02:43 AM

sure you can say that, you could also say we were a couple plays away from 10-6 too, right?

TXBRONC
04-04-2008, 07:21 AM
That would be sweet if Rivers went ahead of Ellis on the Bengals draft board. Just wishfull thinking.

Well the Bengals are in need of linebackers.

Astrass
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
his is all I need to know about Southern California's Keith Rivers: He wore No. 55 for the Trojans.

Check, please. I'm sold on the guy. Because 55 is the number once worn at USC by Willie McGinest, Junior Seau and Chris Claiborne, and it's a jersey the school's football team doesn't exactly hand out randomly.

Keith Rivers matched the best OLB time from the combine with his 4.51-second 40 at USC's Pro Day. (US Presswire)
Keith Rivers matched the best OLB time from the combine with his 4.51-second 40 at USC's Pro Day. (US Presswire)
"Great linebackers have worn it and made it proud," Rivers said. "It's kind of a club of guys."

Better add Rivers to the list. He not only was one of the top defenders in the nation last season; he was the best linebacker anywhere, named to All-American and All-Pac-10 first teams despite being handicapped by a sore ankle.

Rivers is quick. He's fast. He's a reliable tackler. He's instinctive. He's outstanding in pass coverage. He works hard. He hits hard. And he's versatile, playing all three linebacker positions at the Senior Bowl practices.

More important, he lived up to his number.

"When I got it," said Rivers, "they sent out (a notice) to all the other 55s and let them know a new person was going to be wearing it because it hadn't been worn in years. I was honored to have it and tried my best to live up to it."

Though born in California, Rivers grew up in Orlando, Fla., so let's be honest here: He didn't know a lot about USC's 55s or the linebackers who wore the jersey. What he did know was that he was going somewhere with a rich tradition of great defensive players, some of whom were linebackers ... and, yes, some of whom drove 55.

"After awhile," he said, "you get a sense of how important it is and how important it is to practice hard every day and work hard in the weight room because the number means so much. It's bigger than you."

Few at USC were bigger than Rivers during his stay there. He had 240 career tackles, including 18.5 for losses. He was a dominant figure as the team's weakside linebacker -- chosen in 2007 as a Butkus semifinalist and one of 17 quarterfinalists for the Lott Trophy.
Poll
Who will be the best pro outside linebacker?
Cliff Avril
Keith Rivers
Xavier Adibi
Erin Henderson
Tavares Gooden
Look out for sleepers

Granted, his numbers were down from his junior season, but Rivers underwent preseason surgery to remove bone chips in his left ankle, an injury that caused him to miss a game and that became a topic of conversation with more than one team at the annual NFL scouting combine.

Rivers called the injury "a freak thing," adding that it wasn't "that big of a deal," but if a club is going to invest a top 15 draft choice in the guy -- and someone will -- it wants to make sure it's not taking a risk.

Trust me, it's not. At USC's Pro Day this week, Rivers had a 42-inch vertical jump, 5½ inches higher than the next-best outside linebacker at the combine, and a 10-foot-7 long jump. He also ran 4.51 in the 40, tying Wesley Woodyard's time in February for first place.

But Rivers is as impressive to meet as he is to watch, and that might have had something to do with him being a team captain. It might have had something to do with wearing that most famous of USC jerseys, too.

"There's a (responsibility that goes with it)," said Rivers, "on and off the field -- to be a leader, to make plays and to dominate."

Sounds like a job description for the first linebacker in the draft. Keith Rivers, come on down.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10759809/rss

TXBRONC
04-04-2008, 08:04 PM

It is meaningless to some but those that see the broncos with a clear vision realize that this teams is closer to 3-13 than it is 13-3 and a few even great draft choices will not make this team at the end of the year 13-3 unless the entire Division falls flat on their face and we will everything at home.. Which BTW home Field does not even count as a n advantage any more..

To all that dream mikey is the salvation and things are going to be Super this year.. AIN'T gonna happen folks....

I called it 7-9 last year when everyone else was 10-6 to 14-2.. After seeing how badly we looked I even thought it might go 3-13 and being 12 points from that seemed to reinforce my thought process there.

Last year we had lots of injuries and frankly only two real bright spots on offense last year Jay and Marshall. Now one of them has a huge dark cloud circling his future. Outside to Champ only two on defense DJ and Elvis, with a few comers.. But still have lots of questions about this team..

You can spout 7-9 as your mantra all you wish, we all know deep down inside we were not that good.. Just no one wants to admit how far the mighty have fallen..

Thought I'd be burned in effigy last year when I stated we were rebuilding, no no the faithful replied we were just reloading.. AHAHAHAHA

Maybe mikey should get a new nick name mikey obama. Mr Hope and Change..

Hey I like that!!!!!!

Those with clear vision look at the record for what it is.

Retired_Member_001
04-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Like I said, its easy...it virtually falls in your lap...just snap your fingers on draft day.

Now you get the picture. ;)

BroncoWave
04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Pass

No thanks. Pass.

Well who can argue with that thought-provoking logic? :D