PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Dragon's dropped there home opener, 4-3

claymore
04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Dragon drop home opener, 4-3
Alex Burnett was masterful through the first five innings of Cameron's baseball home opener. Before a large crowd of the hometown faithful, he struck out eight, gave up one hit and walked one. He had however, hit three batters indicating a lack of control, which would undo him in the sixth.

Meanwhile Andrew Nellenstein of LeBlond was turning in almost identical numbers on the mound, but found himself on the short end of a 1-0 game.

The Dragons jumped out to their lead when a throwing error by shortstop Phillip Kafka, that was sandwiched between two strikeouts, gave Dakota Fletcher an opportunity to run the bases. He stole second and then aggressively scored on Dakoda Phillips RBI single.

There would be no more fireworks in this game until LeBlond's half of the sixth. It started with a walk to the Eagles third baseman Lueckenhoff, who moved to second when Burnett hit his fourth batter on a 0-2 count. In an effort to sacrifice the runners to second and third, Chris Schultz laid down a perfect bunt and loaded the bases with a single. The center fielder Merrick then golfed a single off his shoe tops that drove in the tying run.

At that point, Cameron Coach Randy Anderson, brought in Sean Skilling to replace Burnett. Skilling was able to get Schott to ground back to him and he promptly forced the runner at home, whereupon Cameron catcher Greene threw to first to double off the hitter. The return throw from first baseman Summers was late and LeBlond took a 2-1 lead.

Skilling then gave up a full count RBI single to Banks to make the score three to one. He walked Montag, and then Kafka drove in the fourth run of the inning with a single to left center, and those were all the runs the Eagles would need.

Cameron demonstrated strong offense in their half of the seventh. After a leadoff strikeout to Wilburn, Phillips walked, followed by what could have been an inning ending double play grounder by Grassley. The second baseman dropped the throw from the shortstop and the runners were safe. A wild pitch advanced the runners to second and third and then Blake Levins delivered a single that scored both runners.

LeBlond brought in Lueckenhoff to relieve and he struck out Greene, followed by a game ending ground ball, to third, by Summers.

"We did some good stuff on the field," said Anderson. "Alex had really good stuff, with a lot of pop on the ball, but in high school baseball one bad inning can beat you, and we had ours. We had a lot of new guys on the field and it is going to take some time to get to know how we will best fit together. Sean will need more innings before he will throw with confidence, but then again we almost came back to win."

Not a bad performance considering this was only the second time this season for the Dragons to be on their own field.

BeefStew25
04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Aw, man....sucks....well, the season is a long one. We need to do good against Springfield and Columbia.

claymore
04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Aw, man....sucks....well, the season is a long one. We need to do good against Springfield and Columbia.

Coach Anderson will get them back. I think Sean will need more innings. He just wasnt throwing with confidence.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I didn't even write that Clay.

BroncoJoe
04-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I didn't even write that Clay.

We figured that, MB. There were no spelling or grammatical errors.

BeefStew25
04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I think we should all fly to Cameron and watch a game. Tailgate in the outfield, make banners, etc.

claymore
04-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I didn't even write that Clay.I did that on purpose. Back on topic, I think that bunt that the kid Schultz laid down is what killed us.

It loaded the bases.

Rex
04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
WTF Mo, you too important to cover high school baseball now?

Rex
04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Spring is in the air, sort of
Ah, the snow has melted (well most of it) and Spring is in the air (sort of), and Spring Sports are just around the corner.

The sweet sounds of Denny Matthews are on the radio, the gloves are popping out at the baseball fields, the golfers have made it on to the course for the first time, and the tennis courts, Dave Goodwin Field and the track are finally clear.

Not much except practice, practice, practice will go on for the next week and a half. Yes, we're talking about "practice."

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I did that on purpose. Back on topic, I think that bunt that the kid Schultz laid down is what killed us.

It loaded the bases.

The real problem is that Seifert has an elbow injury and isn't on the mound.

WTF Mo, you too important to cover high school baseball now?

My staff writer wanted to, so I said OK...gives me a few nights off I wouldn't normally have, so I'm cool with that.

claymore
04-03-2008, 10:10 AM
The real problem is that Seifert has an elbow injury and isn't on the mound.

My staff writer wanted to, so I said OK...gives me a few nights off I wouldn't normally have, so I'm cool with that.Is Seifert the star of the squad?

BroncoJoe
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I might be in St. Louis on the 15th. Are you close to there MB? Maybe I could attend a game.

Rex
04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I might be in St. Louis on the 15th. Are you close to there MB? Maybe I could attend a game.

Your knowledge of Missouri geography is so horrible Joe.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Is Seifert the star of the squad?

Yes, he's got a community college scholarship in Iowa. He'll play third base for them. He hit over .400 last year. He's just not a big athlete, I think he's 5-11...

BroncoJoe
04-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Your knowledge of Missouri geography is so horrible Joe.

Well, does anyone really care about that State?

I don't know what city MB is in.

Rex
04-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Well, does anyone really care about that State?

I don't know what city MB is in.

Umm....Cameron.....dumbass.

BroncoJoe
04-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Oh. Well, at least he's near St. Joseph.

claymore
05-05-2008, 08:10 AM
April 29 2008
Stand up and take notice
Cameron's golfers are good. Just how good they are, is yet to be seen, but I can tell you, that as scores roll in this season, I see five very talented golfers that could earn the Dragons a team berth in the State Tournament.

Daniel O'Connor, Aaron Gould and Trent White have all been medalists in dual meets this year, and the Dragons have won every conference dual up to this point, and defeated a very good Lawson team yesterday by 10 strokes.

They've had their rough patches, as evidenced in their own tournament, where they finished fourth, but the competition is stiff. One off day can ruin a team's chances at a state berth.

These guys are good. I can see them winning the District Tournament. It will take some heart, and a little bit of soul........... But these kids got what championships are made of.

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
These guys are good. I can see them winning the District Tournament. It will take some heart, and a little bit of soul........... But these kids got what championships are made of.

They already won the district tournament :coffee:

claymore
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
They already won the district tournament :coffee:Well thanks for the spoiler, I was going to lead up to that....... :rolleyes: