PDA

View Full Version : Elam sucks thread(linked)

Rick
09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
This is not my opinion, the guy is only one of the best Broncos of all time and a sure future hall of famer for God's sake...

Here is a link on the other Broncos Forums from some idiot with seemingly no clue.

Idiot Link (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=101042)

lex
09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, that thread is one for the vault there. Not only was he completely wrong from the outset but he was made to look incredibly bad after Elam hit the game winner under extreme duress. Has there ever been an occasion in the history of these boards where someone has had more egg on his face than that guy right there? LOL.

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
i saw that....i dont post over there anymore but if i did i would have ripped into that guy. i really dont think he is a bronco fan...he is probably a bitter bills fan that created an account to act like a broncos fans to try and stir up things. why else would a bronco fan say elam sucks after winning the game for us?

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Kickers don't make it to the Hall of Fame....

And although this guy's thread is ridiculous, god forbid somebody other than a Broncos QB take some criticism.

Elam screwed the pooch today (and then hit the biggest kick since his 63yarder).....

Slick
09-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I was over there some this evening but I didn't see that. 2 posts from the guy.

Maybe it was a former kicker we had in camp.:laugh:

BroncoWave
09-09-2007, 09:27 PM

And although this guy's thread is ridiculous, god forbid somebody other than a Broncos QB take some criticism.

Elam screwed the pooch today (and then hit the biggest kick since his 63yarder).....

There's a difference between criticizing someone and clamoring for their release.

lex
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM

And although this guy's thread is ridiculous,
If this is how you feel...

god forbid somebody other than a Broncos QB take some criticism.

Elam screwed the pooch today (and then hit the biggest kick since his 63yarder)....

then whats the point of making this comment?

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:36 PM
If this is how you feel...

then whats the point of making this comment?

Because his thread is about Elam getting the hell out of Denver!

Elam deserves some criticism, that's fair, but cutting the guy is ridiculous.

Fair enough?

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
There's a difference between criticizing someone and clamoring for their release.

I agree, BTB. HUGE difference!

Rick
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=203

lex
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Because his thread is about Elam getting the hell out of Denver!

Elam deserves some criticism, that's fair, but cutting the guy is ridiculous.

Fair enough?

Holy smoke dude! Do you ever say anything relevant? No its not fair. You are not able to discern why people were ripping the poster. If they were ripping him for the premise of his thread, then you stand in agreement and that makes scolding/lecturing people about being critical not even relevant or necessary. And you didnt even answer my question. Yikes!

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Holy smoke dude! Do you ever say anything relevant? No its not fair. You are not able to discern why people were ripping the poster. If they were ripping him for the premise of his thread, then you stand in agreement and that makes scolding/lecturing people about being critical not even relevant or necessary. And you didnt even answer my question. Yikes!

Lex! I said that criticism is fair, calling for his head is stupid.....Why don't you get that?

He missed two FG's that could've cost the game, Lex...That's grounds for criticism! It's completely fair to criticize Elam.

Brush up on your Reading and Comprehension.

I could'nt care less if you guys rip the poster that started that thread...In fact, I don't care what you do...

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:50 PM

I see one guy there, Rick, am I missing something?

lex
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Lex! I said that criticism is fair, calling for his head is stupid.....Why don't you get that?

He missed two FG's that could've cost the game, Lex...That's grounds for criticism! It's completely fair to criticize Elam.

Brush up on your Reading and Comprehension.

I could'nt care less if you guys rip the poster that started that thread...In fact, I don't care what you do...

My response to this, is "ok,...so?" Seriously, was anyone even disputing this? You making this point is like me saying people shouldnt eat a lot of salt. Its inane unless someone was taking issue with criticizing Elam in general. And I dont really have a problem with reading comprehension. I just have a problem when things dont make sense. Maybe I should just let inane remarks slide but initially Id really like to believe theres some relevance to them. If I had known the eventual outcome would be something to the contrary, Id just ignore your remark but again, Im trying to discern why you made the remark in the sense that it had something to do with something...anything really. But now I know it was just an aside comment/lecture...ok, and?

Rick
09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Just showing a kicker that made it to the hall.

Maybe not a lot of them do but it shows it is not impossible.

lex
09-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Just showing a kicker that made it to the hall.

Maybe not a lot of them do but it shows it is not impossible.

Yeah not many have Elams resume though. They 63 yarder really boosts his cache.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
My response to this, is "ok,...so?" Seriously, was anyone even disputing this? You making this point is like me saying people shouldnt eat a lot of salt. Its inane unless someone was taking issue with criticizing Elam in general. And I dont really have a problem with reading comprehension. I just have a problem when things dont make sense. Maybe I should just let inane remarks slide but initially Id really like to believe theres some relevance to them. If I had known the eventual outcome would be something to the contrary, Id just ignore your remark but again, Im trying to discern why you made the remark in the sense that it had something to do with something...anything really. But now I know it was just an aside comment/lecture...ok, and?

Is something on your mind, Lex?

I guess if I wanted to say something relevant I should have asked: "Would we have won today if David Treadwell was the kicker?" :rolleyes: :D......

topscribe
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't see anything out of the way from what Link said. Sure, the poster on
the other board doesn't have a clue. But it is in the realm of fairness to
criticize a player, even if the one doing the criticizing is all wet. And wanting
to get rid of Elam, as Link expressed, is asinine.

I might add that, of the two FGs Elam missed, one was on him and the other
was on Leach . . . a bad snap. They even pointed that out in a replay. That
also has taken me aback, that as many times as Elam's two misses have been
mentioned, I have yet to read where one of them was a bad snap. :confused:

-----

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
...Mix in an "Enter" key or two when you're puking your "relevant" points.....

topscribe
09-09-2007, 10:05 PM
We're getting a little bit too personal in here, guys. ;)

-----

BroncoWave
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, this thread is going nowhere fast.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
We're getting a little bit too personal in here, guys. ;)

-----

But that dude has a burr in his saddle over something....

topscribe
09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Okay . . . :focus: . . . what about that bad snap? :noidea:

-----

lex
09-09-2007, 10:12 PM

I guess if I wanted to say something relevant I should have asked: "Would we have won today if David Treadwell was the kicker?" :rolleyes: :D......

But that dude has a burr in his saddle over something....

Stop trying to spin it.

lex
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Okay . . . :focus: . . . what about that bad snap? :noidea:

-----

I had heard that it was damp there from someone at the bar I was at. Also, its not like Elam was missing badly or coming up short. People are jumping the gun way too much. I need wait and see before I throw Elam under the bus.

Chidoze
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
This is not my opinion, the guy is only one of the best Broncos of all time and a sure future hall of famer for God's sake...

Here is a link on the other Broncos Forums from some idiot with seemingly no clue.

Idiot Link (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=101042)
Typical newbie post for that board..........:rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Stop trying to spin it.

Spin what, Lex? You're confused!

And you're no longer making "relevant" points :D.....

Medford Bronco
09-09-2007, 10:34 PM

I thought you were going to say Fred Steinfort or Rich Karlis :laugh:

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I thought you were going to say Fred Steinfort or Rich Karlis :laugh:

No, that's not "relevant" because Elam didn't replace those guy's....It's not my logic, it's Lex's! *shrugs*

lex
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
No, that's not "relevant" because Elam didn't replace those guy's....It's not my logic, it's Lex's! *shrugs*

Look here, Captain Inano. Weve been asked to drop it. I can give as good as I get but youve established that you like saying things of little value. Drop it.

SR
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't see the problem. Elam botched two kicks and redeemed himself when we needed him. The game is over and we won...so drop it.

lex
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't see the problem. Elam botched two kicks and redeemed himself when we needed him. The game is over and we won...so drop it.
Its ok to criticize him...and in other news, the people like chewing gum.

SR
09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Its ok to criticize him...and in other news, the people like chewing gum.

It's fine to critisize him...but my post was more in reference to the link that was posted in post #1. Elam is a HOF kicker (just you watch) and to throw him under the busy for a couple of missed kicks that, at the end of the game, didn't hurt us any is pretty ludacris.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Look here, Captain Inano. Weve been asked to drop it. I can give as good as I get but youve established that you like saying things of little value. Drop it.

I was responding to someone else, lex! I'll continue to post however I feel like it....got it? :salute:

Captain Inano? ? ? :D

lex
09-09-2007, 10:49 PM
It's fine to critisize him...but my post was more in reference to the link that was posted in post #1. Elam is a HOF kicker (just you watch) and to throw him under the busy for a couple of missed kicks that, at the end of the game, didn't hurt us any is pretty ludacris.

I agree with everything you said. I was just being facetious with the "its ok to criticize him" remark...I just felt like saying something inane for the sake of saying it.

SR
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I agree with everything you said. I was just being facetious with the "its ok to criticize him" remark...I just felt like saying something inane for the sake of saying it.

Fo shizzle.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Inane:

in·ane (n-n)
adj. in·an·er, in·an·est
One that lacks sense or substance: interrupting with inane comments; angry with my inane roommate.

Saying Elam is not above criticism here is "inane".....Apparently! :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Alright he missed two kicks, even kickers can have a bad day.

Rick
09-09-2007, 11:00 PM
No one is above criticism to be sure, but to say just get rid of him due to mistakes such as the guy in that link I posted said is like saying cut the QB due to he threw an INT, or cut the RB due to a fumble.

INT's happen, fumbles happen, and missed kicks will happen.

SR
09-09-2007, 11:01 PM
No one is above criticism to be sure, but to say just get rid of him due to mistakes such as the guy in that link I posted said is like saying cut the QB due to he threw an INT, or cut the RB due to a fumble.

INT's happen, fumbles happen, and missed kicks will happen.

No, sir, they do not. The Denver Broncos entire roster shall play flawless football or they shall not play football at all!

TXBRONC
09-09-2007, 11:07 PM
No, sir, they do not. The Denver Broncos entire roster shall play flawless football or they shall not play football at all!

Damn how did John Elway ever survive? Because I know for fact he had more than his fair share of "flawed preformances."

SR
09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Damn how did John Elway ever survive? Because I know for fact he had more than his fair share of "flawed preformances."

I'm glad you're as good at sarcasm as I am. ;)

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Alright he missed two kicks, even kickers can have a bad day.

I'm not argueing that, TX, and I wasn't criticizing Elam, other than to say he screwed the pooch. I only said that it's fair to criticize Elam, he had a bad day. I don't see what the big deal is.

A lot of players had a bad day, kickers are not immune....

topscribe
09-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I have too many threads to monitor to be stuck here modding this one
because you guys cannot understand the requests of two different Mods to
cut out the arguing and flaming.

So if we cannot get back on topic and be civil, I'll go ahead and close the
thread so I can get some work done elsewhere . . . :tsk:

-----

Watchthemiddle
09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Elam had a few misses, but redeemed himself when it counted.

Cutler had a few mistakes but redeemed himself when it counted.

The defense missed some tackles, but redeemed itself when it counted.

Our offense couldn't score to save their lives, but redeemed itself when it counted.

Javon Walker dropped some passes, but caught the ones that counted.

How does that saying go..."it doesn't matter how hard you get knocked down.........."?

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
this game shouldnt have came down to field goals anyway. i dont want to see us do terrible in the redzone this year. although a few bills fans i was talking to said they are really good at defense in the redzone. to be fair i think elam pulled one and then had a bap snap on the other. so really only one could have been his fault. and what do you guys expect from 48 yards?

Watchthemiddle
09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
this game shouldnt have came down to field goals anyway. i dont want to see us do terrible in the redzone this year. although a few bills fans i was talking to said they are really good at defense in the redzone. to be fair i think elam pulled one and then had a bap snap on the other. so really only one could have been his fault. and what do you guys expect from 48 yards?

:dito:

Anytime your offense has a QB throw for over 300 yards, a 130+ yard rusher, and a 100 yard WR, you should put up more then 15 points on the board.

ooopps...this could be a hijack...sorry..

:focus:

SR
09-09-2007, 11:34 PM

Anytime your offense has a QB throw for over 300 yards, a 130+ yard rusher, and a 100 yard WR, you should put up more then 15 points on the board.

Not a hijack at all. You guys are absolutely right. I suppose that's what it all ultimately boils down to....if our redzone offense (or even our offense on their side of the 50) would have been worth a darn today, not so much pressure would have been on Elam.

I will say though, that Elam is the guy I would want the weight of the world on when it comes to kicking a game winning fieldgoal...20/24 including today is IMPRESSIVE.

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 11:40 PM

stats wise it seems as if we would have put up at least 30 points. if elam would have nailed both of those and we would have made that 2 point conversion that would have been another 8 points and a 23-14 win. even with that its the settling for field goals that hurt the score board but sometimes you have no choice but to kick one.

that early drive when we were 4th and 2 i think we should have let henry or sapp pick us up a couple of hard hards up the middle.

Joel
09-10-2007, 12:32 AM
My two cents, for whatever that's worth:

I've had some issues with Elams accuracy in the past (the home game against the Giants in '05 is an example of a game winning kick he missed, and it was like, 46 yards, which shouldn't be a big deal for him) but he is an exceptional kicker. What I find laughable is that it seems like a lot of people feel like "sure, he was great once, but now that he's over thirty it's OBVIOUS he doesn't have the leg strength he used to have". BS; NFL kickers play into their late thirties all the time, and it's not uncommon to play into their early forties. Heck, Blanda played for 26 years, for just about every team before he was done, and a lot of that was as a kicker. Forget who it was in the night game tonight, but one of the punters (was it Scifres?), according to Al Michaels, is older than the Super Bowl. For those not keeping track, the 42nd one of those will be played next February. It's one of those things that makes me think, "Yeah, OK, you're entitled to your opinion like anyone, but your arguments demonstrate you don't know what you're talking about so I'm not paying much attention".

Elam's a fine kicker, there's a reason he's tied for the record and he might even still break it. He's not as accurate as I'd like, but he's not really inaccurate either; he's just not Morten Andersen. Sometimes he'll shank one between the 30 and 40, occasionally it'll cost us and I'll complain, but it doesn't happen every week; if it did I'd be more upset about our offense not getting into the red zone often enough (as was the case in '05.... ) I'm willing to give him a little breathing room on the accuracy in exchange for a real chance to score 3 points any time we cross midfield. ;)

Joel
09-10-2007, 12:40 AM

According to NFL.com, Henry is currently the second leading League rusher and Cutler is #2 in passing yardage. Looked at another way, in the thread complaining about Ian Gold someone defended his lack of listed tackles on the grounds that Buffalo ran 41 plays and we ran over 70, so no one had a chance to get a lot. Yet we won by a point with a last second FG. A lot of people share some responsibility for that, but Ian Gold and Jason Elam are nowhere near the top of the list.

I wish I'd been able to see the game, 'cos I haven't really dissected the play-by-play yet, but one thing I did notice is that Cutler ran for a clutch 4th and 2 and passed for another to sustain that last drive, and while it was certainly four down territory, I don't understand why anyone would through a third and long pass short of the sticks. Those are eleven of the top professional athletes in the fourth largest country on earth; they're not gonna let one guy get an extra two or three yards very often. Not to mention the fact that if you can complete a twenty yard pass, why not complete a twenty-three yard one instead? It concerns me.

Krugan
09-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Another reason to enjoy this message board.

There isnt 30 "OMG he suxorz!!1! " threads here.

(sorry im just happy to have this site around)

OB
09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Im just wondering when I will get my IP for telling the dude that started the threa "He swallows" :laugh:

SR
09-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Im just wondering when I will get my IP for telling the dude that started the threa "He swallows" :laugh:

I probably should just keep my mouth shut. It's so hard! I want to say something along the lines of "at least he doesn't spit"...DAMMIT...:tsk:

Lonestar
09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Absolutely!!! To have the kind of offensive yards we did and have the game this close means we have to be able to put the ball away in the red zone and not turn it over. While Jason contributed to the tightness of the game we should not have been trying 40+yard FG anyway.

BTW someone mentioned that Kicker do not go to the HOF.

Jason is 5 FG behind Stenrerud, 12 PAT behind him it took him 19 years to get into the HOF and Jason has only been playing for 15.

Jason hold the record for the longest FG made.

Elam, who has scored more for Denver than anyone else in NFL history has for his team.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1383

if this clown form KC can get in I see no reason that Jason would not make it.

OB
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Absolutely!!! To have the kind of offensive yards we did and have the game this close means we have to be able to put the ball away in the red zone and not turn it over. While Jason contributed to the tightness of the game we should not have been trying 40+yard FG anyway.

Jason is 5 FG behind Stenrerud, 12 PAT behind him it took him 19 years to get into the HOF and Jason has only been playing for 15.

Elam, who has scored more for Denver than anyone else in NFL history has for his team.

Just saw some :cough: highlights and we need to score 7 yes 7 points in the red zone - only one TD :eek: - Im gonna try and get home before 4:30 - NFL Network is replaying the game and at least I wont have to worry about taking my anxiety pills before the game :laugh:

broncosinindy
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Elam won the game. when it comes down to it sure the fella made mistakes. jay had a lot of mistakes. but he came through. whats next elam sucks lets cut him...

GEM
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Elam won the game. when it comes down to it sure the fella made mistakes. jay had a lot of mistakes. but he came through. whats next elam sucks lets cut him...

Over on the other board.......yep, that's what's next.:shocked:

Simple Jaded
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM

It's hard enough for Bronco players to get into the HoF, it'll be near impossible for Elam to get in considering the HoF just doesn't have much use for kickers.

Though, if they were to start inducting kickers, you won't find many more deserving than Elam....