PDA

View Full Version : Quinn being traded to Denver had been mentioned in January...

Lancane
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Report: Broncos' Brandon Marshall Rumored to Browns for Brady Quinn by Scott McLaughlin on Jan 31, 2010 7:15:17 PM

The Denver Broncos are expected to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall soon after the NFL’s trading and free-agency period opens on March 5, according to the Denver Post. One of the rumors circulating around Miami in the week leading up to Sunday’s Pro Bowl has Marshall heading to Cleveland in exchange for quarterback Brady Quinn.

Rumors initially suggested the Browns were considering sending the explosive Josh Cribbs -- who holds the NFL record for career kickoff returns for touchdowns and who is also on the AFC Pro Bowl roster -- and draft picks to the Broncos, the Web site said. New reports, however, name Quinn as the centerpiece of the deal, rather than Cribbs.

Marshall and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels had several disputes throughout the season, culminating in McDaniels benching Marshall for the team’s regular-season finale because the wideout was late for a therapy session.

In Marshall, the Browns would get a true No. 1 receiver, something they’ve been lacking since they traded Braylon Edwards to the Jets back in October. Quinn would likely challenge Kyle Orton for the Broncos’ starting job under center.

NFLMocks.com also names the Redskins, Seahawks, Ravens, Dolphins and Cowboys as possible destinations for Marshall.

Though it is not breaking news, because a trade has been made. The fact that Denver had made a move to trade for him last off-season and then this came up, sort of points to the fact that McDaniels really wanted Quinn. I agree that his talent was wasted in Cleveland and they ruined him because inept coaching, but this could point to what some believe was already out there and that is that Orton is not as beloved by the coaches as it appears to some fans. Marshall as part of the trade is ridiculous, but we can speculate that Quinn is McDaniels' chosen quarterback no matter the reports.

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I've seen a couple different folks mention that we made a move for Quinn last season, but I don't think that's the case at all.

There was a hoax trade rumor that got posted I think at PFT, but it was made up out of whole cloth over at the Freak. Other than that, I've never seen word that we made a move for Quinn last year.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I've seen a couple different folks mention that we made a move for Quinn last season, but I don't think that's the case at all.

There was a hoax trade rumor that got posted I think at PFT, but it was made up out of whole cloth over at the Freak. Other than that, I've never seen word that we made a move for Quinn last year.

It's pretty much common knowledge among sports fans and broadcasters that McD tried to get Quinn during the Cutler trade.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM

An inside source had supposedly leaked the information to the Plains Dealer, and a couple other sources. Remember, according to McDaniels he did not initiate a trade for Cassell either, even though his old buddy Belichick would not backup his story...lol. Whether it's true or not, it gives us something to think upon.

WARHORSE
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I dont think this is so much about not liking Orton as it is thinking that Quinn has been misused in Cleveland.

Quinn was very good at Notre Dame, and its hard to believe he just all of a sudden doesnt get it.

If his passing game can be coached up to where Orton is, then hes an upgrade because he is very mobile, unlike Kyle.

McDaniels ran Cassell alot in NE when Brady went down and it was very effective.

Tom Brady does not have that, and neither does Orton. Orton of course is not Tom Brady in the passing department, nor can he move in the pocket like Tom can.

Orton can barely get out of his own way when it comes to running or side-stepping a pass rush.

I think the trade is a very sound investment by McD and X-man.

I have a golf clap for them accompanied with a few nods of approvement.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I dont think this is so much about not liking Orton as it is thinking that Quinn has been misused in Cleveland.

Quinn was very good at Notre Dame, and its hard to believe he just all of a sudden doesnt get it.

If his passing game can be coached up to where Orton is, then hes an upgrade because he is very mobile, unlike Kyle.

McDaniels ran Cassell alot in NE when Brady went down and it was very effective.

Tom Brady does not have that, and neither does Orton. Orton of course is not Tom Brady in the passing department, nor can he move in the pocket like Tom can.

Orton can barely get out of his own way when it comes to running or side-stepping a pass rush.

I think the trade is a very sound investment by McD and X-man.

I have a golf clap for them accompanied with a few nods of approvement.

I'm not anti-Quinn, I do admit that I'm anti-Orton, but if you read between the lines, I feel that Quinn is who he really wants helming his offense and Orton was just the transitional journeyman filling the gap. He knew we couldn't get Clausen, who I mentioned earlier was likely the Bronco's number one quarterback in the draft, so he fell back on the Quinn option.

WARHORSE
03-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not anti-Quinn, I do admit that I'm anti-Orton, but if you read between the lines, I feel that Quinn is who he really wants helming his offense and Orton was just the transitional journeyman filling the gap. He knew we couldn't get Clausen, who I mentioned earlier was likely the Bronco's number one quarterback in the draft, so he fell back on the Quinn option.

Its a possibility. But if Clausen was a target, I think he would be very much within our reach at 11 imo.

I think McD HOPES that Quinn can supplant Orton.....and so do we ALL, no?

Quinn has the talents to do so, and this is a matter of whether he can get his game to a higher level hear in Denver, and I have full confidence in Josh to get the most out of him. If he doesnt make it here, he wont be in the NFL much longer.

SOCALORADO.
03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Just relax guys, QWinn will be the starter, week 1.

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
It's pretty much common knowledge among sports fans and broadcasters that McD tried to get Quinn during the Cutler trade.

An inside source had supposedly leaked the information to the Plains Dealer, and a couple other sources. Remember, according to McDaniels he did not initiate a trade for Cassell either, even though his old buddy Belichick would not backup his story...lol. Whether it's true or not, it gives us something to think upon.

Can you produce a link to these common knowledge stories?

Ziggy
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
We'll never know for sure if McD was going after Quinn last year. Unless someone from one of the 2 organizations comes out and admits that there was talk, it's all speculation. Who cares? Quinn's a Bronco now, and Marshall is still here, drawing very little interest from the rest of the league. Had McD traded Marshall for Quinn and a draft pick or 2, this place would have went nuclear. It was a move to bolster the QB position.

McDaniels and Xanders traded a guy that didn't fit in here and therefore had no value to the Broncos, and 2 late round picks for Quinn. He's an upgrade over Simms at the very least. It's a low risk move. I can't wait to see what happens on this board when we take a QB in the draft also.

OldschoolFreak
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Quinn has the potential to be a badass.

You all remember that late-season Sunday night game against Denver in 2008. He looked really comfortable and was a true play-maker identifying the right reeds, quickly releasing the ball, and making things happen with his legs when no one was open. Obviously a lot has to happen for him to regain his earlier form but I'm thinking he has the potential to be really good here.

Dirk
03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I still think that Orton is going to be the starter come week 1. I would give him the nod if he shows a steady improvement in practices/camps. One year under his belt he surely will be better.

Now having said that, if Quinn comes in and impresses McD with how quickly he learns the system and he outshines Orton in camps and preseason.....we have a QB contraversy. And if that is the case, I sure as hell hope that McD chooses 1....and only 1 to go the season with and not do the QB swap every other game. It does nothing to bolster a players confidence and does not make them any better...only worse.

SOCALORADO.
03-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I still think that Orton is going to be the starter come week 1. I would give him the nod if he shows a steady improvement in practices/camps. One year under his belt he surely will be better.

Now having said that, if Quinn comes in and impresses McD with how quickly he learns the system and he outshines Orton in camps and preseason.....we have a QB contraversy. And if that is the case, I sure as hell hope that McD chooses 1....and only 1 to go the season with and not do the QB swap every other game. It does nothing to bolster a players confidence and does not make them any better...only worse.

QWinn already knows the system. He had the guru teach it to him in college.
He only needs to review just a bit. Hes already ahead of Orton in every way except for the exact lingo that MCD uses for playcalling.

broncobryce
03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
QWinn already knows the system. He had the guru teach it to him in college.
He only needs to review just a bit. Hes already ahead of Orton in every way except for the exact lingo that MCD uses for playcalling.

Yep. As long as he can handle McD screaming at him when he F's up. "No more my bad, make the fugging play!"

Shazam!
03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
...and Orton was just the transitional journeyman filling the gap.

This was Orton's role from the start. When trading Cutler he wanted a stopgap Starter in return. Orton was never going to be the long term answer for QB.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
This was Orton's role from the start. When trading Cutler he wanted a stopgap Starter in return. Orton was never going to be the long term answer for QB.

I think most of us knew that, except for his fan club...they think he is here for the long haul.