PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Andrews released

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Would this guy be someone the Broncos should consider?

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have released offensive lineman Shawn Andrews.

ursak
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
the last game he played in was in september 2008 -after suffering depression- and then he had 2 back injuries...

Lancane
03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Would this guy be someone the Broncos should consider?

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have released offensive lineman Shawn Andrews.

Maybe with a heavily claused contract, because he has continually has had issues over the past three seasons. But I would not count on him being more then fodder at this point, he really wasted his talent if you ask me.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003245

PHILADELPHIA -- Shawn Andrews' star-crossed career in Philadelphia is over.

The Eagles released the former All-Pro right guard on Wednesday in a move that was expected. Andrews, who missed the 2008 training camp because of depression, has played in just two games over the past two years because of back injuries.

"We appreciate the efforts and contributions of Shawn while he was in Philadelphia," coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "We have, however, decided to move in another direction."

Andrews wrote "Bye, Bye Birds" on his Twitter page. He also said he plans to continue playing.

Andrews' passion for football had been questioned during his time in Philadelphia. Critics said he was more interested in his music career. The eccentric Andrews posted some videos on YouTube last summer while he was sitting out practices.

Selected with the 16th overall selection in the 2004 NFL draft, Andrews missed his rookie season after breaking a leg in the opener. He overcame weight issues and rebounded from his injury to emerge into one of the top players at his position. Andrews made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and '07 and had a contract that ran through 2015.

Last offseason, the Eagles signed Andrews' older brother, Stacy Andrews, to a lucrative contract even though he was coming off knee surgery. Shawn Andrews was moved to right tackle to replace longtime starter Jon Runyan and Stacy Andrews was supposed to play right guard. However, the brothers never played a down together with the Eagles.

Despite his talent, Shawn Andrews was known more for his offbeat personality. He sported faux-hawk haircuts that sometimes were dyed blonde or red, and often wandered through the locker room singing out loud.

Runyan retired from the NFL earlier this year to run for a House seat as a Republican in a historically Republican district in New Jersey. His campaign formally begins Thursday.

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
If were looking at Eagle's cast-offs, I'd rather see Denver taking a look at Brian Westbrook...

JMO...

Traveler
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Pass on Andrews.

Traveler
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
If were looking at Eagle's cast-offs, I'd rather see Denver taking a look at Brian Westbrook...

JMO...

Danica has a tramp stamp?

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Danica has a tramp stamp?

Yeah, baby!!!

Not 'overdone' either...

Move's her up a notch, eh?

I must say your sig vid is also A-Okay, sir...:salute:

Traveler
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, baby!!!

Not 'overdone' either...

Move's her up a notch, eh?

I must say your sig vid is also A-Okay, sir...:salute:

Thanks! Gotta love brunettes.

OOOps! I gotta get back on topic.

Shawn Andrews is not an option for us.

dogfish
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
andrews looked like he was on a fast track to being the best interior O-lineman in the game before his career was derailed by back problems. . .

i know those have a tendency to be chronic, recurring problems-- especially in guys that size-- but OTOH, he has access to the best therapy, treatment and medical care money has to offer. . .

he's obviously a bad risk considering he's missed two years now, but he's still relatively young, and other guys his age have missed large chunks of multiple seasons and been able to come back and be effective later in their careers (correll buckhalter is a great example). . .

with no salary cap, the only thing it would cost us is a roster spot that would otherwise go to a UDFA camp fodder scrub with very long odds to make the team. . .

if he can ever get healthy, andrews is exactly the kind of brute force we want in the trenches. . . if the medical staff cleared him, i'd sign him to a prove-it type deal in a heartbeat. . .

i'd be really surprised if we looked at him, though. . . given the economic/labor situation right now, i doubt bowlen is going to be an owner who feels like taking financial risks of that nature. . .

Traveler
03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
andrews looked like he was on a fast track to being the best interior O-lineman in the game before his career was derailed by back problems. . .

i know those have a tendency to be chronic, recurring problems-- especially in guys that size-- but OTOH, he has access to the best therapy, treatment and medical care money has to offer. . .

he's obviously a bad risk considering he's missed two years now, but he's still relatively young, and other guys his age have missed large chunks of multiple seasons and been able to come back and be effective later in their careers (correll buckhalter is a great example). . .

with no salary cap, the only thing it would cost us is a roster spot that would otherwise go to a UDFA camp fodder scrub with very long odds to make the team. . .

if he can ever get healthy, andrews is exactly the kind of brute force we want in the trenches. . . if the medical staff cleared him, i'd sign him to a prove-it type deal in a heartbeat. . .

i'd be really surprised if we looked at him, though. . . given the economic/labor situation right now, i doubt bowlen is going to be an owner who feels like taking financial risks of that nature. . .

Can't see the FO relying on two linemen with back issues.

WARHORSE
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM

On a physical level, Shawn Andrews is a juggernaut.

On a mental level, Shawn Andrews is a liability.

He struggles with depression and is often off in la la land.

Not to mention the non stop injuries.

Say no to drugs...........and Shawn Andrews.