PDA

View Full Version : Braylon Edwards to be a Bronco?

Northman
03-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I dont have any insider information so i have no idea what the article is about but did anyone else notice this on ESPN's main page with the headline? Does anyone have the Insider with them to elaborate on this?

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/index

nevcraw
03-16-2010, 11:20 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors
Braylon involved in Marshall plan?

By now, we've all heard some creative plans on how the Seahawks can avoid sending the No. 6 overall pick to the Broncos in exchange for Brandon Marshall. The Dolphins might also be interested, if Zach Thomas has anything to say about it, according to the Miami Herald, and their pick is a little bit lower. The Jets have also been mentioned quite frequently as being interested in the WR.

We've heard some buzz on the Jets making a play for Marshall ever since the first-round tender was placed on the WR, and Michael Lombardi of National Football Post reported on Sunday that the Jets are "having internal discussions regarding Brandon Marshall and would love to put together a package of players that might entice the Broncos and still keep their first-round pick." It could be that the Broncos have told the Jets that they'll match any offer sheet that New York extends, and are using the Seahawks' interest as leverage; in other words, they want more than just the No. 29 overall pick in return if they're going to lose one of the top WRs in the league.

We have to consider the Seahawks still the front-runners here, but the pick requirement continues to be a stumbling block for them; even so, we expect to see the Broncos use that pick as leverage against other teams. No matter what, this will continue to be one of the most captivating offseason stories -- even though ESPN's Chris Mortensen instructs us to forget about it via Twitter on Tuesday -- and ESPN's John Clayton thinks that another prominent WR might even get involved:

John Clayton
Might the Jets be dangling Braylon?

"For this to work, they would have to hope Broncos coach Josh McDaniels would be interested in taking [Braylon] Edwards as part of the trade. The hold-up last year in Marshall talks was the Broncos' desire for linebacker David Harris, but the Jets can't afford to give up Harris. The Seahawks would be the Jets' main competitor for Marshall. It might cost New York a first-round pick if the Broncos can't get Harris or won't take Edwards."

Mike Reiss
Jets with Marshall could go either way

"If the Jets get Marshall -- and I think if they offered their first-round draft choice today it would be a done deal -- I'd view them as the NFL's biggest boom-or-bust team."

NightTrainLayne
03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
It just says "rumors" at this point, so I wouldn't get too worked up.

slim
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Six of one....

Lancane
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Funny thing, I mentioned the other day in passing as a joke that Edwards could be a potential part of a trade with the Jets, because we traded for Quinn (Sort of an Ohio Connection)... I would have to laugh at the irony of it all if this happened. Though I doubt that Edwards with his questionable production would warrant too much value in such a trade...it would still likely cost them the 61st overall pick with Edwards as part of the deal, if not more.

Tampa Bay could potentially offer more as could Seattle, and I still believe San Francisco will eventually place a call to inquire about Marshall.

silkamilkamonico
03-16-2010, 11:37 PM
IIRC, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Edwards has one year left on his contract, and he's going to want a huge payday, right?

Yikes..

Lancane
03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
IIRC, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Edwards has one year left on his contract, and he's going to want a huge payday, right?

Yikes..

You got a point there as well Silk, he has done less then Marshall and would want similar money. If we are going to pay that kind of money for a damn receiver, I would rather it be on Marshall who has at least proven something...Edwards thinks he is an all-pro and is yet to realize that wanting is not the same thing as being.

#1dolphinfan
03-17-2010, 12:02 AM
You down want Edwards he has the Skill but he isnt better then Brandon Marshall i would take Marshall over Edwards any day of the week

Northman
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
You down want Edwards he has the Skill but he isnt better then Brandon Marshall i would take Marshall over Edwards any day of the week

Unfortuantely Marshall doesnt want to be part of the McDcocteau plan. And when Braylon went to NY he was able to be useful unlike when he was in Cleveland. I would still take Braylon to see what he could do here.

dogfish
03-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Dear NY Jets,

Please keep that junk and send us something we can use.

TIA

the Broncos

atwater27
03-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Well if you included the sheer amount of dropped passes, they are similar receivers.

dogfish
03-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Well if you included the sheer amount of dropped passes, they are similar receivers.

but if you include that even more important category of CAUGHT PASSES, they're really not at all. . .

atwater27
03-17-2010, 01:56 AM
NFL Executives Question Brandon Marshall's Consistency, Hands

7/28/2009 1:35 PM ET By Ryan Wilson

Brandon Marshall is disgruntled. We know this because he's been telling us all offseason. Despite asking for a trade, he's unhappily reported to Broncos training camp because he's still under contract and he doesn't have much leverage.

Holding out is an option, but that typically goes something like this: player demands trade or more dough, threatens to sit out until said demands are met, organization ignores demands because player is still under contract, and when the fines (usually totaling four figures a day) start piling up, player reconsiders, returns to works, and claims it was all a big misunderstanding. Yeah, I've seen this movie before.

For now, Marshall is in Englewood, Colorado preparing for the season. No idea if he's with the team by Week 1, but the Denver Post's Jeff Legwold talked to NFL executives to get a sense of what other clubs think of the mercurial, big-play wideout. In short, all of the executives polled said, he would have to show he's healthy after offseason hip surgery - a far bigger concern for them than for many who believe Marshall can quickly force a trade – and they would like to see fewer dropped passes and more touchdowns.

Marshall, despite back-to-back 100-catch seasons to go with a Pro Bowl trip in '08, is not considered a precise route runner and many general managers worry that he drops too many balls as he attempts to position his body to run after the catch before he has secured the ball. That all sounds about right: NFL personnel types are more concerned with physical health than off-field issues, because, well, this is a business. even guys with sordid pasts and sketch presents can help win games. The bigger story, I think, is that Marshall has somehow avoided the "that guy's not afraid to drop a pass" spotlight. I mean, poor Braylon Edwards. He can't quietly have a four-drop game without the media bringing it up every 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, Marshall dropped four more passes than Edwards in 2008 (18 to 14), and the biggest complaint we hear about him is that he's immature. Braylon should be so lucky. (Ironically, he's considered an all-around swell guy.)

(Of course, this also bears mentioning: Edwards had 55 receptions (873 yards, 3 TDs); Marshall had 104 (1,265, 6). For Braylon, that works out to one drop for every 3.9 receptions while Marshall dropped one pass for every 5.8 receptions. That's almost a two-pass-catch difference.)

Whatever, the point remains: despite the awesome physical talent, Marshall is still raw. And that, along with the occasional concerns about his attitude, could mean his current trade value isn't enough to get him out of Denver. But, hey, if we learned anything from Jay Cutler it's this: Don't give up. Well, unless your coach hurts your feelings. But in terms of demanding a trade, be vigilant. http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/28/nfl-executives-question-brandon-marshalls-consistency-hands/

Traveler
03-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Only offer Denver should accept from the Jets should be David Harris, the #29 pick and a #3.

broncophan
03-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Unfortuantely Marshall doesnt want to be part of the McDcocteau plan. And when Braylon went to NY he was able to be useful unlike when he was in Cleveland. I would still take Braylon to see what he could do here.

We just got Quinn....a Notre Dame Alum........I don't think I could stomach us getting a Michigan Alum as well.......

Tned
03-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Brandon Marshall is disgruntled. We know this because he's been telling us all offseason. Despite asking for a trade, he's unhappily reported to Broncos training camp because he's still under contract and he doesn't have much leverage.

Holding out is an option, but that typically goes something like this: player demands trade or more dough, threatens to sit out until said demands are met, organization ignores demands because player is still under contract, and when the fines (usually totaling four figures a day) start piling up, player reconsiders, returns to works, and claims it was all a big misunderstanding. Yeah, I've seen this movie before.

For now, Marshall is in Englewood, Colorado preparing for the season. No idea if he's with the team by Week 1, but the Denver Post's Jeff Legwold talked to NFL executives to get a sense of what other clubs think of the mercurial, big-play wideout. In short, all of the executives polled said, he would have to show he's healthy after offseason hip surgery - a far bigger concern for them than for many who believe Marshall can quickly force a trade – and they would like to see fewer dropped passes and more touchdowns.

Marshall, despite back-to-back 100-catch seasons to go with a Pro Bowl trip in '08, is not considered a precise route runner and many general managers worry that he drops too many balls as he attempts to position his body to run after the catch before he has secured the ball. That all sounds about right: NFL personnel types are more concerned with physical health than off-field issues, because, well, this is a business. even guys with sordid pasts and sketch presents can help win games. The bigger story, I think, is that Marshall has somehow avoided the "that guy's not afraid to drop a pass" spotlight. I mean, poor Braylon Edwards. He can't quietly have a four-drop game without the media bringing it up every 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, Marshall dropped four more passes than Edwards in 2008 (18 to 14), and the biggest complaint we hear about him is that he's immature. Braylon should be so lucky. (Ironically, he's considered an all-around swell guy.)

(Of course, this also bears mentioning: Edwards had 55 receptions (873 yards, 3 TDs); Marshall had 104 (1,265, 6). For Braylon, that works out to one drop for every 3.9 receptions while Marshall dropped one pass for every 5.8 receptions. That's almost a two-pass-catch difference.)

Whatever, the point remains: despite the awesome physical talent, Marshall is still raw. And that, along with the occasional concerns about his attitude, could mean his current trade value isn't enough to get him out of Denver. But, hey, if we learned anything from Jay Cutler it's this: Don't give up. Well, unless your coach hurts your feelings. But in terms of demanding a trade, be vigilant. http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/28/nfl-executives-question-brandon-marshalls-consistency-hands/

That was from last offseason, and he both showed he was healthy, and IIRC, he decreased his dropped passes. Going from one of the most in the league (also targeted 1st or 2nd most in '08 I believe), to middle of the pack or so in dropped passes.

broncofaninfla
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I can't recall how many times me and buddes slapped high fives and laughed our *sses off watching Edwards dropping passes, some sure TD. No thanks, pass. I wouldn't want this guy if he played for free. Some of the worst hands I've ever seen on a WR.

claymore
03-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I have no desire to replicate the success Edwards and Quinn have already produced.

Nomad
03-17-2010, 08:03 AM
I can't recall how many times me and buddes slapped high fives and laughed our *sses off watching Edwards dropping passes, some sure TD. No thanks, pass. I wouldn't want this guy if he played for free. Some of the worst hands I've ever seen on a WR.

Like in last years playoff game, it was a sure td for the Jets and Mr Bricks himself didn't catch the ball!:lol:

claymore
03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Like in last years playoff game, it was a sure td for the Jets and Mr Bricks himself didn't catch the ball!:lol:

They call Michael Clayton "Skillet" here. Every time they mention his name on the local radio the playa skillet sound(2 skillets clapping together).

TXBRONC
03-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Dear NY Jets,

Please keep that junk and send us something we can use.

TIA

the Broncos

I looked up the word butterfingers and his picture was by the definition.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Ryan Wilson is a bonified blogger, nothing more. He reports his opinions only, he is not on the inside, he spent years writing blogs before to NFL Fanhouse, which is not tied to the league...I would listen to that idiot Florio from PFT before I started quoting articles by Ryan Wilson, even if I agreed with him. Which I do not; half the missed passes I remember were as much the quarterbacks' fault as his.

atwater27
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Ryan Wilson is a bonified blogger, nothing more. He reports his opinions only, he is not on the inside, he spent years writing blogs before to NFL Fanhouse, which is not tied to the league...I would listen to that idiot Florio from PFT before I started quoting articles by Ryan Wilson, even if I agreed with him. Which I do not; half the missed passes I remember were as much the quarterbacks' fault as his.

If it hits your hands, you ******* catch it. It isn't called a drop unless it hits your hands.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
If it hits your hands, you ******* catch it. It isn't called a drop unless it hits your hands.

A dropped pass can be reflective of a quarterback, throw too high or too far in any given direction, including toward the turf, thereby forcing the receiver to extend in any given direction only to tip the pass or barely touch it without the chance to catch it. How many times did we see Marshall or Gaffney adjust to get back to where the ball was going to actually be? If a quarterback is not on the same page as his receiver and throws it off route or slower it would force making them adjust to get it only to miss more often. You act like Orton was freakin' Billy the Kid with his arm...agreed they should catch it if it hits their hands, but that was rare for Orton.

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Marshall doesn't really have a 'dropped pass' problem. No more than the average WR, except Marshall has been targeted more so than every WR in the league.

Just because a ball hits your hands and isn't caught, doesn't mean the 'dropped pass' was due to WR error. Thats why the stat is nebulous at best. Who determines the dropped pass? What is their criteria? If its purely 'it hit the hands'.. than that has to be looked at as a pretty useless set of circumstances considering there are so many things going on in a football game.

GEM
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Please Lord....shoot me if Braylon ends up a Bronco. :lol:

atwater27
03-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Marshall couldn't even catch a perfect Peyton Manning pass in the endzone at the pro bowl.

nbenallo33
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
why the heck would we want this low life?

MileHighCrew
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Marshall couldn't even catch a perfect Peyton Manning pass in the endzone at the pro bowl.

Maybe he was scared he'd catch Nerditis

Lancane
03-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Guess that's never happened before, stop the presses and someone contact Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, I mean neither has never dropped a perfect Manning pass ever!

:coffee:

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Guess that's never happened before, stop the presses and someone contact Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, I mean neither has never dropped a perfect Manning pass ever!

:coffee:

Did you see that HUGE pass, at a major part in the game, dropped by Fitzgerald in the playoffs this year? Come-back route, right in his gut from some guy named Warner. Right in his hands....in the playoffs... dropped. Fitz sucks. :coffee:

atwater27
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Funny stuff guys. It's not my fault Marshall consistently is among the league leaders in dropped passes. And I am sure McDaniels has noticed too. And that's really the only opinion that matters when it comes to keeping him or not.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Funny stuff guys. It's not my fault Marshall consistently is among the league leaders in dropped passes. And I am sure McDaniels has noticed too. And that's really the only opinion that matters when it comes to keeping him or not.

Really? I think Pat Bowlen and Brian Xanders would have a fair argument against that...especially if McDaniels gets his wish to unload the Pro-Bowl receiver and fields an even worse offensive unit. Then McDaniels will likely be stripped of any decision making, if not shown the door.

;)

atwater27
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Really? I think Pat Bowlen and Brian Xanders would have a fair argument against that...especially if McDaniels gets his wish to unload the Pro-Bowl receiver and fields an even worse offensive unit. Then McDaniels will likely be stripped of any decision making, if not shown the door.

;)

What makes you think they want to keep him?

Lancane
03-17-2010, 01:01 PM
What makes you think they want to keep him?

I guess you sort of overlooked Pat Bowlen's statement that he wanted Marshall to remain a Bronco, and that he hoped something could be worked out? And Xanders might be McDaniels' puppet, but I bet we see that change if his job is on the line. Let's not forget that Bowlen specifically fired Shanahan because he wanted more say with 'his' own team, if McDaniels decides to overlook that, well then he will be following Shanahan's path out of town sooner then he liked. Not saying it's a guarantee...but, when McDaniels fields an offense that is even worse then last years, which was mediocre compared to the year before? I am sure Bowlen will praise him right?...lol.

atwater27
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I guess you sort of overlooked Pat Bowlen's statement that he wanted Marshall to remain a Bronco, and that he hoped something could be worked out? And Xanders might be McDaniels' puppet, but I bet we see that change if his job is on the line. Let's not forget that Bowlen specifically fired Shanahan because he wanted more say with 'his' own team, if McDaniels decides to overlook that, well then he will be following Shanahan's path out of town sooner then he liked.

After statement from Bowlen and McDaniels over the last 2 years, I don't trust a single thing they publically say.. It's just political gamesmanship.

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM

I can show you he isn't amongst the 'leaders' last year. I can show you the year that he dropped the most passes, that his percentage of passes dropped to passes thrown to him, were in the middle of the pack. Thats average.

That means he catches the MOST passes with the average amount of drops. I"ll take that n a HEARTBEAT. So your "consistently" in league leaders line, is totally bogus and made-up.

As far as McD's opinion of him, I've not heard one comment that Marshall's dropped passes is the problem with him. It's sure as HELL not the problem with this offense.

underrated29
03-17-2010, 01:07 PM
braylon edwards as stone hands.... I had him in FF last year and watched every single pass thrown his way as a brown and a jet...He dropped some of the easiest catches i have seen...

I almost shat myself when he held on to the td catch in the playoffs for 80 yards. The dude has skill and talent but need to work on his hands in every single way possible. But he will not, he is to cocky, or lazy or whatever to do that. If he went out and practiced catching 500 balls a day he might just get it. But his concentration is nil and I do not want him.

atwater27
03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I can show you he isn't amongst the 'leaders' last year. I can show you the year that he dropped the most passes, that his percentage of passes dropped to passes thrown to him, were in the middle of the pack. Thats average.

That means he catches the MOST passes with the average amount of drops. I"ll take that n a HEARTBEAT. So your "consistently" in league leaders line, is totally bogus and made-up.

As far as McD's opinion of him, I've not heard one comment that Marshall's dropped passes is the problem with him. It's sure as HELL not the problem with this offense.

Fair enough.. He was 3rd in the league in dropped passes in 2008 and dropped at least 7 passes last year. Did he improve or does Jay just have more mustard on his throws? Either way, it is not a good stat for a wide receiver at this level.

Lancane
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
After statement from Bowlen and McDaniels over the last 2 years, I don't trust a single thing they publically say.. It's just political gamesmanship.

Your choice...believe or not what you will. That is your given right, as is mine. Personally, I think McDaniels knows that his arse is starting to get warmer from the hot seat that is getting closer and closer to him to be sitting on. Heads around the NFL are still all over him, ridiculing him about the Cutler-fiasco and how he handle everything thus far, including what is happening as of now with Marshall. Bowlen got called senile last year because of what he allowed McDaniels to do...I'm sure he loved that! I truly think, and this is my opinion only, that not everything is as hunky dory at Dove Valley as so many want to believe.

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Now thats something I 100% agree with

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Fair enough.. He was 3rd in the league in dropped passes in 2008 and dropped at least 7 passes last year. Did he improve or does Jay just have more mustard on his throws? Either way, it is not a good stat for a wide receiver at this level.

7 passes? Thats it? over a 16 game season with that many passes targeted to him? H ow many targeted passes did he have in order to catch 100+ balls? I just don't think 7 passes dropped, is that many. In fact, I'm quite impressed with that.

Not to mention, I don't know who's the one counting the dropped passes you are referring to.