PDA

View Full Version : WR Potential

Tebow4Ever
04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Having read that article on ESPN about Cutler's callout on Marshall, Do you all think he has lost ANY confidence in #15 being able to stay on the field? Keary Colbert had that one pretty decent season in Carolina but do you think he can hack it opposite our star reciever? Marshall has proved he can carry the weight and Im thinking we will get a pleasant surprise from Colbert this season? Thoughts?

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Having read that article on ESPN about Cutler's callout on Marshall, Do you all think he has lost ANY confidence in #15 being able to stay on the field? Keary Colbert had that one pretty decent season in Carolina but do you think he can hack it opposite our star reciever? Marshall has proved he can carry the weight and Im thinking we will get a pleasant surprise from Colbert this season? Thoughts?

I don't think Culter would be upset if Denver added a few more playmakers to the offense..including wideout. I think it would make his day if we drafted Earl Bennett.

Tebow4Ever
04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Definately, That would be nice. I myself, Am looking forward to seeing more from Tony Scheffler. I think He's definately got the potential to be a contributer.

Drill-N-Fill
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think Culter would be upset if Denver added a few more playmakers to the offense..including wideout. I think it would make his day if we drafted Earl Bennett.

I'm not sold on Bennett. What other options do you see at WR in the 2nd? Any chance the kid from State will be there?

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not sold on Bennett. What other options do you see at WR in the 2nd? Any chance the kid from State will be there?

It doesn't matter if your sold on Bennett... Cutler is and that is what truely matters. But here the guys that could be there in the 2nd

Devin Thomas shouldn't be there... if he is a lot of teams screwed up. He might be as high as #1 WR on many teams draft charts.

2nd rounders might include:

Malcolm Kelly, because of injury, but I doubt he will be there

Earl Bennett, only because we don't have a 3rd round pick

Mario Manningham... who might slip farther because he lied to scouts about off the field issues.

James Hardy, some teams are sure to have him high and he could go late 1st round

Early Doucet

Andre Caldwell, someone may jump the gun on this guy...beware of Florida recievers

DeSean Jackson, only because of his size

Drill-N-Fill
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
It doesn't matter if your sold on Bennett... Cutler is and that is what truely matters. But here the guys that could be there in the 2nd

You mean to tell me that me wearing my lucky game jersey has no impact on the game?

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
You mean to tell me that me wearing my lucky game jersey has no impact on the game?

Well that does:D:beer:

underrated29
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
YEP I HAVE BEen riding DT's jock since the season ended. I still think it will be him or sweed to the bills at 11.

Before the combine i had us taking thomas with our 2nd, but now teams know about him. If he even makes it as far as the 1st pick in the 2nd rd i would be shcocked.

I have to admit though, off topic, that i have changed my stance on jon stewart, i think he is going to fall all the way to 22- dallas first pick. Where either we nab him, or seattle trades up for him.

WARHORSE
04-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Devin Thomas shouldn't be there... if he is a lot of teams screwed up. He might be as high as #1 WR on many teams draft charts.

2nd rounders might include:

Malcolm Kelly, because of injury, but I doubt he will be there

Earl Bennett, only because we don't have a 3rd round pick

Mario Manningham... who might slip farther because he lied to scouts about off the field issues.

James Hardy, some teams are sure to have him high and he could go late 1st round

Early Doucet

Andre Caldwell, someone may jump the gun on this guy...beware of Florida recievers

DeSean Jackson, only because of his size

Doesnt even matter if Cutlers sold on him. What matters is whether the Broncos think he has the ability to play on this level.

My thoughts are that at WR, Limas Sweed in the second or Jordy Nelson in the third (we would have to gain a third) would be where Denver goes if theyre there.

There are a number of Wrs who could go later rounds, and Id rather draft there than earlier in the draft.

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Doesnt even matter if Cutlers sold on him. What matters is whether the Broncos think he has the ability to play on this level.

My thoughts are that at WR, Limas Sweed in the second or Jordy Nelson in the third (we would have to gain a third) would be where Denver goes if theyre there.

There are a number of Wrs who could go later rounds, and Id rather draft there than earlier in the draft.

Why wouldn't it matter if Cutler our starting QB was sold on a receiver or not? I could care less what the Broncos think... Our front office has been wrong many times. How many times have we heard that guys like Nate Jackson, Wesley Duke, Roc Alexander, Jeff Shoate, Sam Brandon, Wille Middlebrooks, and so on are great talents in this league? When and if a QB says that he likes a certain receiver and they are productive together is far more important in my eyes.

nevcraw
04-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Hasty or Jordy in the 2nd. take top rated DT in the 4th. who's this years Marcus Thomas? Boss?

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Hasty or Jordy in the 2nd. take top rated DT in the 4th. who's this years Marcus Thomas? Boss?

I love Jordy Nelson... A lot, but he is a huge reach in the 2nd.

Denver really needs to trade back... bad. Even if its only a few spots back.

I'm hopeful that we trade a team that has 2 second rounders and a 3rd or 4th.

We could do something like this......
2nd: Curtis Lofton or Philip Wheeler or Jerod Mayo
2nd: Trevor Laws or Dre Moore
2nd: Gosder Cherilus or Sam Baker
3rd/4th: Jordy Nelson

haroldthebarrel
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM

If that draft happened you might even hear me screaming of joy from across the pond. At this point I think Sam Baker is very underrated. Heck he reminds me of Eric Winston who surprisingly fell to the third round and has become an above average if not better RT already.

underrated29
04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I doubt that sweed make it to the second, but that would be cool.

Also another late rd Ie. 4th rd Dt is frank okam. He has motor issues, but here only playing in a rotational would be ideal. To me he is this years marcus thomas.

jhns
04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
So are people going to be mad when/if we don't trade down? Everyone talks about it like we have the choice. We don't have the choice. We could say we want to but we would need another team that wants to trade up to the position we are in AND that team has to agree on the value of our pick. It is not as easy as some seem to think with the talk of "We MUST trade down". I see it in a lot of threads between the two boards I'm on. So is it going to upset people that we don't trade down since that is far more likely than us trading down?

I like a lot of the receivers in this class. I don't think we are going into the season without at least bringing in some competition for the #2 spot. I have a feeling there will be a receiver drafted in the first four rounds and there are a lot of good prospects in those rounds.

haroldthebarrel
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I doubt that sweed make it to the second, but that would be cool.

Also another late rd Ie. 4th rd Dt is frank okam. He has motor issues, but here only playing in a rotational would be ideal. To me he is this years marcus thomas.

Isnt it time to be extremely cautious about Texas players? They seem to need at lealst two years to acclimaticize themselves to the pro..... if they ever do.
The bust rate among Longhorns are alarming to say the least, even if any player should be counted on his own merits, both Okam and Sweed has played extremely inconsistant.

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
So are people going to be mad when/if we don't trade down? Everyone talks about it like we have the choice. We don't have the choice. We could say we want to but we would need another team that wants to trade up to the position we are in AND that team has to agree on the value of our pick. It is not as easy as some seem to think with the talk of "We MUST trade down". I see it in a lot of threads between the two boards I'm on. So is it going to upset people that we don't trade down since that is far more likely than us trading down?

I like a lot of the receivers in this class. I don't think we are going into the season without at least bringing in some competition for the #2 spot. I have a feeling there will be a receiver drafted in the first four rounds and there are a lot of good prospects in those rounds.

Atlanta has lots of ammo. They have the 3th overall pick where they could go many directions.

What we would be interested in is the fact they have two 2nd rounders. 34 and 37 overall, both in the top of the 2nd round. They also have two 3rd rounders.

If Altanta wanted our 1st rounder 12th overall, they could get top QB and as well as another top 12 player.

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Cutler played with Bennett for one season and that was 3 years ago. Does he really have that preference or comfort level with a guy under those limited circumstances? He played with Erik Davis alot longer...why didn't we look into signing him?

Stargazer
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Atlanta has lots of ammo. They have the 3th overall pick where they could go many directions.

What we would be interested in is the fact they have two 2nd rounders. 34 and 37 overall, both in the top of the 2nd round. They also have two 3rd rounders.

If Altanta wanted our 1st rounder 12th overall, they could get top QB and as well as another top 12 player.

Atlanta has a ton of holes on both offense and defense. They need every pick they can get.

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Atlanta has a ton of holes on both offense and defense. They need every pick they can get.

True.. but they might want a shot a Matt Ryan and a guy like Ryan Clady or Chris Williams or Matt Ryan and Mendenhall or Stewart.... you never know... doesn't hurt to call some of these teams that have two 2nd rounders and see if they want to move up to 12 overall.

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I too like Scar hope we draft Doucet in the 2nd round, if we go receiver....

Doucet is a stud, he was always doubled teamed and sometimes triple teamed as you can see in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNQS6k8SqQ

Guy is a play maker

nevcraw
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I too like Scar hope we draft Doucet in the 2nd round, if we go receiver....

Doucet is a stud, he was always doubled teamed and sometimes triple teamed as you can see in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNQS6k8SqQ

Guy is a play maker

I am no draft guru, but I have like Doucet as well, b/c he is blocking machine for a WR and has good hands. I thought he maybe gone but his bad 40 could have him sitting pretty for us in the 2nd.

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I am no draft guru, but I have like Doucet as well, b/c he is blocking machine for a WR and has good hands. I thought he maybe gone but his bad 40 could have him sitting pretty for us in the 2nd.

Good value in the 2nd... he was favored to the #1 WR taken before the combine... funny how a combine drops guys like they do. 4.56 isn't that bad of a forty. Plus I think he is still nursing a few nagging injuries.

tubby
04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Todd Blythe RULES!!

Lonestar
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Well I'm a firm believer that mikeys WR DAFTS over the years have sucked. PERIOD. The only one worth a damn has been Marshall and so far this year that one might blow up in his face also..

The only WR that I would support is Jordy and that with apprehension consider this franchises ability to find one in the draft..

G_Money
04-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Thomas, Hardy, Sweed, Doucet, Bennett, Nelson...there are wides I'd want in this draft. More than usual, actually.

They just seem to be an injury-prone group at the top this year.

WRs are dicey as it is...but I can be talked into liking several draft choices at the position.

Jay apparently realizes he needs some weapons, especially in a division with some killer corners. It'd sure be nice to have 3 wides and a TE who can all win their matchups with the guy across from them...

~G

Lonestar
04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Thomas, Hardy, Sweed, Doucet, Bennett, Nelson...there are wides I'd want in this draft. More than usual, actually.

They just seem to be an injury-prone group at the top this year.

WRs are dicey as it is...but I can be talked into liking several draft choices at the position.

Jay apparently realizes he needs some weapons, especially in a division with some killer corners. It'd sure be nice to have 3 wides and a TE who can all win their matchups with the guy across from them...

~G

yep but he can only throw to one at a time.. unless the run the wrong routes.. and since rookies rarely contribute..

I'd think he also realizes the importance of DEFENSE, what an impact that has on his side of the team..

G_Money
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Have we been better at drafting defensive talent and I just missed it? ;)

If I'm Jay and I see the atrocity that was our defense last year, I'd want to try to follow the Way of the Colts: Stack the offense into a juggernaut and try to get the defense to make 2 stops a game.

At least then it's in my hands and not the hands of some reject DT who can't make a critical play on 3rd down.

~G

Lonestar
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Have we been better at drafting defensive talent and I just missed it? ;)

If I'm Jay and I see the atrocity that was our defense last year, I'd want to try to follow the Way of the Colts: Stack the offense into a juggernaut and try to get the defense to make 2 stops a game.

At least then it's in my hands and not the hands of some reject DT who can't make a critical play on 3rd down.

~G

touche' :salute:

But we have so many glaring holes on the team not sure where to start..

G_Money
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
OT (I'd like Jay to live through the season, por favor)
MLB (Need one, and the best of Kou/Webster only gets us so far)
DT (depth only til I see what Peterson/Thomas/McKinley can do in a system that doesn't just want them to be punching dummys)
WR (One-handed Marshall and Stokley do not make the most fearsome tandem ever, Colbert's never done anything, and Sheff and Stok both have injury issues...as does Marshall now. Glenn freakin' Martinez is not the answer)
RB (Henry's good for one more year...okay, maybe "good" is too strong a word...and Hall and Young are not 20 carry a game guys).
S (not for the upcoming year, we have a patch, but next year...yeah...)

That's not...terrible.

Now we just have to fill those holes with the Right Guy, instead of a guy who wears numbers in the right range but is otherwise a lump of coal.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
DT (depth only til I see what Peterson/Thomas/McKinley can do in a system that doesn't just want them to be punching dummys)
WR (One-handed Marshall and Stokley do not make the most fearsome tandem ever, Colbert's never done anything, and Sheff and Stok both have injury issues...as does Marshall now. Glenn freakin' Martinez is not the answer)
RB (Henry's good for one more year...okay, maybe "good" is too strong a word...and Hall and Young are not 20 carry a game guys).

That's not...terrible.

Now we just have to fill those holes with the Right Guy, instead of a guy who wears numbers in the right range but is otherwise a lump of coal.

~G

Good post G,

Can't argue with those needs.... I think most people will agree with you.

Another thing I would add to this is...

We can't fix all these needs in one draft. You sort of mentioned this in your safety talk. Denver and their fans need to look at next years draft as well. Next years draft if stocked heavy in MLB and S. Denver did a good job patching up the safety position and lets hope they did that with intentions of drafting that position high next year. Also there are some super stud MLB talent coming out next year. Animal from Ohio St. and then 58 from USC. Hopefully Kootie can get us by and maybe even impress enough this year to let Denver know what route to go next year.

This year Denver needs to take advantage of the depth and talent at RB, OT, WR, and DT. They have plenty of picks to not only do this but to make a few trades to make sure they get enough talent at these positions for the season and future of the club. If they do this draft right we should have safety on our minds in next years draft as well as a MLB if Kootie doesn't pan out and then pure depth.

We can turn this ship around in two years if they play the draft smart.

shank
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
i agree boss. i really hope we just hold off on mlb, give niko a year to show what he can do.

we should not waste a pick on a safety either this year. let those be our 2 big needs heading into the 09 draft (or if niko can play, we are set).

wr, rb, ol, DT. a pick or two on kickers depending on what we plan to do there...

that gives us 4 real needs and what, 9 picks? i think if we do "saturation" tactics at a couple of positions and focus on these needs this draft, we should get guys at every position who can contribute in some way.

get a stud S and MLB in 09, when they are there. hell, trade the entire draft for Rey Maualuga and Taylor Mays.

G_Money
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
As long as we don't flush picks this year.

I'm desperately afraid we're gonna give up 4 2nd-day picks to move up into the 3rd round or whatever and draft some questionable-motor DT.

We need all these picks. We don't have a lot of front-loaded picks with just 2 1st-day ones but because our actual draft position is good they're better than they usually are for us.

And then we have a TON of picks to add positions that are either deep in this draft (DT, WR, RB as you said) or are not usually 1st day picks (K, P, middle of the OL, etc). We could do a LOT for our team with this draft.

And then come back next year to cherry-pick needs like S and LB.

I just dunno if we're gonna flush draftpicks because picking so many is too hard. It felt like that's what we did last year and we're worse off for it. There were 2nd day players we passed on, a 3rd rounder I'd like back...

If we do that again this year it's gonna really hamper our non-rebuilding rebuilding project.

~G

Watchthemiddle
04-02-2008, 05:49 PM

Of course Cutler would like more play makers on offense. From what we have seen so far out of him, is he can not do it on his own.

At this course in his career, he needs others around him to make him shine.

Until he starts to carry this team, the more play makers the better.

BOSSHOGG30
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
If we stay at 12 and select Chris Williams, Jonathan Stewart, or Mendenhall

I think these guys give the Broncos the most value for such a high pick and the cap figure that will come with it.

The 2nd round is stacked this year.... guys like Trevor Laws, Early Doucet, Jordy Nelson, Earl Bennett, Dre Moore, and many more look like good solid prospects. It will be hard to pass up on a guy like Lofton if he is still there and I wouldn't blame them for biting, even though he is a MLB and the draft in 2009 would be more convenient.

We should have no problem finding two really promising prospects that can come in right away and provide us with great value for not only this year, but the future.

We have two 4th rounders, two 5th rounders, a 6th rounder and two 7th rounders to find needs at the other positions we have issues at. It is important that we not only get needs but value and depth.

fcspikeit
04-03-2008, 12:59 AM

If we got Laws and Nelson I would be extremely happy with this draft!

my feeling is that Laws will go late in the first and Nelson will go late in the second or early in the 3rd...

With all the character troubles we have had in the NFL, I believe there will be a number of teams using character as the determining factor..

fcspikeit
04-03-2008, 01:10 AM

BOSS, ATL has three 2nd round picks after the Hall trade...

EMB6903
04-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Definately, That would be nice. I myself, Am looking forward to seeing more from Tony Scheffler. I think He's definately got the potential to be a contributer.

I think we will see a huge year from Scheffler in the recieving game having a chance to come into training camp healthy as our #1 receiving option at TE

honz
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Chris Henry

Stargazer
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Chris Henry

Very talented and will come cheap.

lex
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Chris Henry

Yeah, there are probably several Denverites right now who would like to have their window broken with a beer bottle followed by getting punched in the face.

PS- I know you were being facetious.

turftoad
04-03-2008, 01:14 PM

And won't play til the 09' season, if he's lucky.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Let's give the Denver Police Department a break and avoid this character.

haroldthebarrel
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
We have one receiver already who seems to make enough trouble. It appears Marshall is annoying the lockerroom enough to make Cutler speak out against him.
There is ample enough receivers to go in the second to third round so I'd say no to Henry.
In fact if there is one receiver Id like as a second to third receiver it is Matt Jones.
I will be very surprised if the Jags dont cut him as he should be behind Weathersby, Porter, Williams and Williamson. Or at least behind three of them.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM

That's not...terrible.

~G

I have to disagree ...............Selvin Young had several games of more than 20 touches and atleast one game of OVER 20 carries.........He IS an every down back.............MLB'ers, we don't need a superstar there. Like I said before, Aldridge and Cadrez were not all that great and they started for both Super Bowl teams of the late 90's.

haroldthebarrel
04-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I have to disagree ...............Selvin Young had several games of more than 20 touches and atleast one game of OVER 20 carries.........He IS an every down back.............MLB'ers, we don't need a superstar there. Like I said before, Aldridge and Cadrez were not all that great and they started for both Super Bowl teams of the late 90's.

I disagree. Id love to get Kevin Smith, Rice or Brown in the middle rounds.
Any of them in Denver should beat out Young pretty quick.

My dream scenario would be for us to grab Hardy and sign Matt Jones as a free agent. Three receivers all 6'4'' or taller with sub 4.5 speed.
Man the matchups would be so awesome.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I disagree. Id love to get Kevin Smith, Rice or Brown in the middle rounds.
Any of them in Denver should beat out Young pretty quick.

My dream scenario would be for us to grab Hardy and sign Matt Jones as a free agent. Three receivers all 6'4'' or taller with sub 4.5 speed.
Man the matchups would be so awesome.

I like Hardy too...............But Young is going to surprise you this year Harold.

haroldthebarrel
04-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I like Hardy too...............But Young is going to surprise you this year Harold.

I hope he does, but I think he will be behind Henry if the latter is injury free.
And stays off the bong.

I guess the second part of my reasoning is that I've watched a lot of Rutgers games the past two years and I have never seen a back so much like TD like Rice. He only needs to get to be about 210.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I hope he does, but I think he will be behind Henry if the latter is injury free.
And stays off the bong.

I guess the second part of my reasoning is that I've watched a lot of Rutgers games the past two years and I have never seen a back so much like TD like Rice. He only needs to get to be about 210.

I like Rice.................but I guess I just have more faith in Henry, Young and even Hall. I think we're good there...............Better off grabbing Chauncey Washington in the 6th round.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Did Selvin Young prove he could stay healthy and carry the load?

haroldthebarrel
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I like Rice.................but I guess I just have more faith in Henry, Young and even Hall. I think we're good there...............Better off grabbing Chauncey Washington in the 6th round.

Thomas Brown of Georgia also looks like a sleeper. He even has the injury bug like TD did in college. Wouldnt mind spending a fourth on him and he should be a priority in the fifth round.
There are some players that if they go to the right club their chances of stardom increases dramatically. The three I mentioned in Denver should really make a case for ROY should they get to start some games in Denver. They'd never look back.
I like Young, but I think he is best a 1200 yards back in Denver. Rice could easily be a 2k rusher in Denver. That is how high I think of him.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Yes, see the last game Boss?

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
SPLIT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2007 140 729 5.2 50 1 35 231 6.6 24 0 2 1
Career 140 729 5.2 50 1 35 231 6.6 24 0 2 1

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM

WEEK OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
1 @BUF W 15-14 2 7 3.5 4 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2 OAK W 23-20 (OT) 3 43 14.3 40 0 1 1 1.0 1 0 0 0
3 JAC L 23-14 2 7 3.5 6 0 2 37 18.5 20 0 1 1
4 @IND L 38-20 8 81 10.1 32 0 2 19 9.5 11 0 0 0
5 SD L 41-3 1 0 0.0 0 0 4 20 5.0 9 0 0 0
6 Bye
7 PIT W 31-28 2 1 0.5 2 0 1 16 16.0 16 0 0 0
8 GNB L 19-13 (OT) 18 71 3.9 18 0 6 49 8.2 24 0 0 0
9 @DET L 44-7 6 12 2.0 6 0 2 15 7.5 9 0 0 0
10 @KC W 27-11 20 109 5.5 34 1 3 20 6.7 11 0 1 0
11 TEN W 34-20 14 54 3.9 9 0 2 9 4.5 5 0 0 0
12 @CHI L 37-34 (OT) Did Not Play
13 @OAK L 34-20 7 28 4.0 9 0 2 17 8.5 10 0 0 0
14 KC W 41-7 17 156 9.2 50 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
15 @HOU L 31-13 8 34 4.3 20 0 5 8 1.6 5 0 0 0
16 @SD L 23-3 10 39 3.9 10 0 2 8 4.0 5 0 0 0
17 MIN W 22-19 (OT) 22 87 4.0 20 0 3 12 4.0 8 0 0 0

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
last game, 22 carries, 3 receptions.............

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Boss, he can easily handle 22 carries, 4-5 receptions EVERY game.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Boss, he can easily handle 22 carries, 4-5 receptions EVERY game.

I find that hard to believe considering Young averaged less than 10 carries a game last season and he was still got hurt. He only had two games where he carried the ball 20 times or more. Two for 16 just doesn't show me enough to support that. Usually a back wears down over his career, but Young hasn't shown he can stay healthy as a rookie or even in college. I wouldn't want to own a franchise such as the Broncos and put all my marbles in a guy like Selvin Young.

Good change of pace back, but not star material. He has always been a change of pace back or role player and that is all he will ever be.

lex
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Thomas Brown of Georgia also looks like a sleeper. He even has the injury bug like TD did in college. Wouldnt mind spending a fourth on him and he should be a priority in the fifth round.
There are some players that if they go to the right club their chances of stardom increases dramatically. The three I mentioned in Denver should really make a case for ROY should they get to start some games in Denver. They'd never look back.
I like Young, but I think he is best a 1200 yards back in Denver. Rice could easily be a 2k rusher in Denver. That is how high I think of him.

If youre going to subscribe to the myth that we should get anyone and plug him in, Cory Boyd is the best option late in the draft.

haroldthebarrel
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
If youre going to subscribe to the myth that we should get anyone and plug him in, Cory Boyd is the best option late in the draft.

I am not. I just think highly of this draft class. The second tier rbs in this class is just awesome. And for the record, I couldnt stand last years class except of Peterson of course. And I thought highly of Pittman.

But please enlighten me on Boyd. Never even heard the name before I think.

lex
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I am not. I just think highly of this draft class. The second tier rbs in this class is just awesome. And for the record, I couldnt stand last years class except of Peterson of course. And I thought highly of Pittman.

But please enlighten me on Boyd. Never even heard the name before I think.

Played for South Carolina and was held back by the fact that his offensive line was dreadful...in particular the interior OLine. He can catch, see the cutback, has a burst, and runs with good pad level. Isnt great at one thing (except maybe cutback) but is good at a lot of things. Massively undervalued due to playing on a bad team in what is generally considered to be the toughest conference.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I find that hard to believe considering Young averaged less than 10 carries a game last season and he was still got hurt. He only had two games where he carried the ball 20 times or more. Two for 16 just doesn't show me enough to support that. Usually a back wears down over his career, but Young hasn't shown he can stay healthy as a rookie or even in college. I wouldn't want to own a franchise such as the Broncos and put all my marbles in a guy like Selvin Young.

Good change of pace back, but not star material. He has always been a change of pace back or role player and that is all he will ever be.

In 1973, Otis Armstrong 26carries 90 yards 3.5 0

in 1974...............1407, lead the league in rushing................Sorry Boss, I see Selvin doing close to the same thing. But splitting time with Henry will cut down on his carries too.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
In 1973, Otis Armstrong 26carries 90 yards 3.5 0

in 1974...............1407, lead the league in rushing................Sorry Boss, I see Selvin doing close to the same thing. But splitting time with Henry will cut down on his carries too.

I would have to say that playing runningback in the 70's would not only be a different type of era, but it doesn't really compare to playing runningback right now.

More and more you need at least two guys to carry the load.

Selvin Young is our outside runner...we still need a runningback that excels between the tackles.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I would have to say that playing runningback in the 70's would not only be a different type of era, but it doesn't really compare to playing runningback right now.

More and more you need at least two guys to carry the load.

Selvin Young is our outside runner...we still need a runningback that excels between the tackles.

Okay Boss...............You and I need to place a bet on this.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Okay Boss...............You and I need to place a bet on this.

I already win... Shanahan already said that Young isn't an everydown back. It doesn't matter what me and you think about Young... thing is... Shanahan isn't as high on him as you are and he calls the shots.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Played for South Carolina and was held back by the fact that his offensive line was dreadful...in particular the interior OLine. He can catch, see the cutback, has a burst, and runs with good pad level. Isnt great at one thing (except maybe cutback) but is good at a lot of things. Massively undervalued due to playing on a bad team in what is generally considered to be the toughest conference.

He would fit in nicely... Another guy with character issues is what we need. I do agree he will be good, but he does have a character flag. He was kicked off the team in 2005, don't forget.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I already win... Shanahan already said that Young isn't an everydown back. It doesn't matter what me and you think about Young... thing is... Shanahan isn't as high on him as you are and he calls the shots.

LOL !!!!!!!!!!! and why did he say that Boss? ..................Perhaps, ...........just perhaps, to motivate him?

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 03:08 PM

So lets bet then...........:D

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 03:08 PM
LOL !!!!!!!!!!! and why did he say that Boss? ..................Perhaps, ...........just perhaps, to motivate him?

Just like he motivated Mike Bell huh....

Shanahan isn't the motivating type. He says it how it is. Doesn't mean he is right, but he doesn't shy back from saying how he feels about a player.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 03:10 PM
So lets bet then...........:D

You want to bet me that Selvin Young does or doesn't average 20 attempts per game?

He would need 320 + carries for the year.
:confused:

Not happening!:tsk:

lex
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
He would fit in nicely... Another guy with character issues is what we need. I do agree he will be good, but he does have a character flag. He was kicked off the team in 2005, don't forget.

I didnt forget. The guy had an impoverished upbringing so he might have had some behavioral problems. If he has done ok the past couple of years, that offsets the suspension...plus he'll be there in the late rounds...how much risk is there.

HolyDiver
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
You want to bet me that Selvin Young does or doesn't average 20 attempts per game?

He would need 320 + carries for the year.
:confused:

Not happening!:tsk:

No, let's bet on Young rushing for over 1000 yards.

lex
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM

Bump