PDA

View Full Version : Quinn wants to start

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos aren't publicly saying they have another open quarterback competition on their hands.

They don't have to.

Josh McDaniels' actions and the words of Brady Quinn and Kyle Orton show they most certainly do.

AFC West blog
ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Quinn, acquired from the Cleveland Browns on Sunday in exchange for fullback Peyton Hillis and two draft picks, was diplomatic in his introductory teleconference Monday, declining to come right out and say he intends to supplant Orton as the starter.

A day after Orton said he was confident he was still the starter, Quinn made it clear he intends to be under center and not sending in signals when the 2010 season starts in six months.

"I'll put it this way, I think every quarterback on our roster wants to play," Quinn said. "Believe me, whether it's Tom [Brandstater], Kyle, or myself, we're all quarterbacks. We're going to be team players first, but we all want to be out there playing."

McDaniels hasn't spoken publicly since the trade. Asked if McDaniels had promised him a chance to fight for the starting job, Quinn demurred.

"Really, those conversations are private at this point," he said. "But I think all of us quarterbacks are going to be working our best to compete with one another and make each other better."

That group won't include Chris Simms, last year's backup who was jettisoned Monday.

When Orton was acquired in the Jay Cutler trade last April, McDaniels threw open the competition for the starting job and Orton emerged the winner by late June.

Quinn

He guided Denver to a 6-2 start but a 2-6 finish left them out of the playoffs for the fourth straight season.

Afterward, McDaniels endorsed Orton's status as his starter, saying, "I'm pleased with a lot of what Kyle did and I saw improvement in what he did. I was happy to have the opportunity to work with him this year and we'll look forward to the future."

Then, McDaniels' actions spoke just as loudly Sunday when he traded for Quinn.

Quinn passed his physical on Monday -- he finished last season on injured reserve with a severely sprained left foot -- and began participating in the team's offseason training program.

Orton, meanwhile, was in Hawaii, where he's attending the NFL players association meetings as the Broncos' union representative. His commitment there won't allow him to show up in Denver until Friday.

Quinn said he was thankful for a fresh start in Denver.

In three up-and-down seasons in Cleveland, he played in 14 games and started a dozen times after the Browns selected him No. 22 overall in the 2007 draft following a stellar career at Notre Dame.

Quinn started nine games for the Browns last season, sharing time once again with Derek Anderson. He suffered his foot injury on Dec. 20 against Kansas City and finished the year on IR for the second straight season (he had a broken finger on his right hand in 2008).

Quinn is due $700,000 this season and next, although his salary will go up considerably if he wins the starting job.

Orton was tendered for one year at $2.621 million. As a restricted free agent, any team signing him to an offer sheet would have to be willing to forfeit a first-round draft pick to Denver, an almost prohibitive cost for a quarterback with middling statistics like Orton's.

Simms, who played in two games last season, was set to make $2.54 million next season.

Quinn said he hadn't had a chance to go over the playbook yet, but he anticipated there would be a lot of crossover from the offense he ran in college for Charlie Weis and the one McDaniels runs in Denver. Both are proteges of Bill Belichick.

Quinn lost to Denver in each of the last two seasons. He said he saw vast improvement in Denver's defense last season but the thing that impressed him the most was the Broncos' offensive line.

Ryan Harris protected his Quinn's blindside in college. Now, he's the Broncos' right tackle with All-Pro Ryan Clady playing the left side.

"I think you've just got to be excited to have that type of talent in front of you," said Quinn, hopeful he'll get to admire this line from up-close next season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecziMWWIa88

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 07:41 PM
woot on my scooping skills :welcome:

also: Ryan Harris protected his Quinn's blindside in college. Now, he's the Broncos' right tackle with All-Pro Ryan Clady playing the left side.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
should i be thinking of a name that goes with T.B.Q. ?:D
any help ?

p.s. and nothing with queer in it clay...

broncobryce
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Of course he wants to start. Nice article though.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Of course he wants to start. Nice article though.

i was just gonna post that,i hope all our qb's "want to start"....
oh and could you shop quinn's face on the 3rd dude in your avy ?:laugh:

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
any help ?

To Be Quiet?

To Be Quite Honest? (popular interent speak TBQH, would require adding an "h" (pronounced "AICH") to the end)) :beer::cool::coffee:

FanInAZ
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
any help ?

That's why its not really a good idea to have screen name of players that have yet to achieve legendary status. Having someone like Elway in your screen name is a can't miss. Having the name of someone who just got run out of his previous town, might be like getting a tattoo of your current girlfriend's name only to have the relationship go sour. After all, how many of those who had Plummer or Cutler in the screen name still post here?

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
That's why its not really a good idea to have screen name of players that have yet to achieve legendary status. Having someone like Elway in your screen name is a can't miss. Having the name of someone who just got run out of his previous town, might be like getting a tattoo of your current girlfriend's name only to have the relationship go sour. After all, how many of those who had Plummer or Cutler in the screen name still post here?

i bought my dad an autographed jay cutler helmet for xmas a few years ago. :(:(:(

:beer::beer::tsk:

FanInAZ
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
i bought my dad an autographed jay cutler helmet for xmas a few years ago. :(:(:(

:beer::beer::tsk:

:D At least it might be worth $5 more then a none autographed Jay Cutler helmet. :D

dogfish
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Quinn wants to start

tough shit, nancyboi!

war neckbeards. . . .

Timmy!
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Dogfish: Kyle Orton fan club president. :heh:

dogfish
03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Dogfish: Kyle Orton fan club president. :heh:

i can't take top's spot-- i already told him i'd be second in charge. . . .

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 08:29 PM

i know ....i guess i was just caught up in all the drama after cutler left.
i had the screen name "cutler's crew" at bc before i found this far superior site.
and i thought about adding an "ed" to the end of it....but i look to the future rather than dwell in the past.
i think i can keep it T.K.O. and drop the team kyle orton if he gets benched

Lancane
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
tough shit, nancyboi!

war neckbeards. . . .

I can tell you'll be fun to talk with if Brady Quinn actually does beat him for the spot and becomes the starter...lol.

Thnikkaman
03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I love you Hot Carl. Can I have your babies. :D

topscribe
03-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Until you get rid of that avatar, even #2 is going to be shaky for you . . .

-----

Ziggy
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Does anyone really want him to come in here and say that he doesn't want to start? McD made the right choice at starting QB last season. The 'Simms needs to be the starter' bandwagon disappeared real fast once he got on the field outside of preseason opponents. The funny thing is, he looked like a world-beater against them. If Quinn looks great in the preseason, it's going to get ugly around here. Right now the job is Orton's to lose.

turftoad
03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Does anyone really want him to come in here and say that he doesn't want to start? McD made the right choice at starting QB last season. The 'Simms needs to be the starter' bandwagon disappeared real fast once he got on the field outside of preseason opponents. The funny thing is, he looked like a world-beater against them. If Quinn looks great in the preseason, it's going to get ugly around here. Right now the job is Orton's to lose.

A world beater Ziggy? For real??

dogfish
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Until you get rid of that avatar, even #2 is going to be shaky for you . . .

-----

i'm almost positive kyle orton would approve of this avatar. . . :D

Ziggy
03-15-2010, 10:36 PM
A world beater Ziggy? For real??

16/24 186 YARDS 2 td's 0 int's for his 2 preseason games. Those numbers not good for you?

turftoad
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
16/24 186 YARDS 2 td's 0 int's for his 2 preseason games. Those numbers not good for you?

Not bad, but not world beater stuff, esspecially in the pre season.

Orton is far from a world beater.

Ziggy
03-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Mmmmmm, I was talking about Simms, and I didn't say that either was a world beater. I said that he looked like a world beater in pre-season. I also prefaced the sentence with funny thing is....

turftoad
03-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Mmmmmm, I was talking about Simms, and I didn't say that either was a world beater. I said that he looked like a world beater in pre-season. I also prefaced the sentence with funny thing is....

Sorry then, my bad. :beer:

#1dolphinfan
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I would hope he would want to start and i think he will end up starting at some point in next season for the broncos he is a very talented QB he was just put in a horrible spot in Clevland. Plus this is the offense he ran in college and that is what made him a first round pick i think he will push orton for that job and if he gets a hold if it he isnt going to give it up.

Ziggy
03-16-2010, 12:16 AM
I would hope he would want to start and i think he will end up starting at some point in next season for the broncos he is a very talented QB he was just put in a horrible spot in Clevland. Plus this is the offense he ran in college and that is what made him a first round pick i think he will push orton for that job and if he gets a hold if it he isnt going to give it up.

Welcome, Dolphinfan. Off topic here, but who is the concensus player by Fins fans for your #12 pick?

#1dolphinfan
03-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Welcome, Dolphinfan. Off topic here, but who is the concensus player by Fins fans for your #12 pick?

It's mixed with dolphin fans me I want Dez Bryant or to trade for Brandon Marshall a lot of them want Earl Thomas, or Brandon Graham

hotcarl
03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
great thread, lots of thrills

TXBRONC
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Quinn has shown anything that gives me confidence that he will be anything terrific, but a change of residence and the fact he's ran this exact offense on a smaller scale but that might make a difference. However, we'll have to see if he is capable of beating out Orton. If he's not worth a plug nickle I think we'll be looking for a franchise quarterback at this time next year.

SOCALORADO.
03-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Quinn has shown anything that gives me confidence that he will be anything terrific, but a change of residence and the fact he's ran this exact offense on a smaller scale but that might make a difference. However, we'll have to see if he is capable of beating out Orton. If he's not worth a plug nickle I think we'll be looking for a franchise quarterback at this time next year.

Quinn will start at QB, week 1.
I'm callin it.

This post could really bite me in the ass down the road.
Oh well, its boring around here.

Traveler
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Did they ever!

McDaniels did make the right choice for starter at QB. That probably explains why he made to choice so early between Orton & Simms.

Just goes to show that maybe JMFMcD does know a little something about QB's.

I'll continue to defer to his judgement on matters such as these.

My wish is that others join me instead of....

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/Papi728/wahmbulance.jpg

Traveler
03-17-2010, 09:51 AM

I have only one negative concern with this trade for Quinn. There was mention in several articles that one of his biggest drawbacks was he panics under pressure.

That is/was our former QB's problem too. Hopefully we do not have a repeat of the same INT issue.

TXBRONC
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Quinn will start at QB, week 1.
I'm callin it.

This post could really bite me in the ass down the road.
Oh well, its boring around here.

Down the road? This post could start a full scale war in the next 15 seconds. :D

Anyway, if the competition is open at quarterback and Quinn is the better man I'm all for it.

TXBRONC
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I have only one negative concern with this trade for Quinn. There was mention in several articles that one of his biggest drawbacks was he panics under pressure.

That is/was our former QB's problem too. Hopefully we do not have a repeat of the same INT issue.

Quite honestly I don't Orton was all that good under pressure either.

Dreadnought
03-17-2010, 10:05 AM

So who hates Brady Quinn worse, you or Claymore? For the record, while I didn't like the trade I don't especially hate Quinn. That doesn't mean I've improved my view of McDaniels one jot, it just mean I don't yet hate Quinn. And no, I don't really think he is a homosexual. Philip Rivers OTOH....

Traveler
03-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Quite honestly I don't Orton was all that good under pressure either.

True to a point. Different circumstances IMO. Orton was a staute and can't make plays on the move. The line protection was atrocious at times also.

claymore
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
So who hates Brady Quinn worse, you or Claymore? For the record, while I didn't like the trade I don't especially hate Quinn. That doesn't mean I've improved my view of McDaniels one jot, it just mean I don't yet hate Quinn. And no, I don't really think he is a homosexual. Philip Rivers OTOH....
I hate him in a purely redneck bigot sort of way. I think Dog might have a legitimate reason.

arapaho2
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM

no differant than orton...how many times we see him just throw it away because pressure was comeing when scrambling just a little would allow a wr time to get open...or dumping it to the short guy with somebody open deeper..just cause theres a little pressure

quinn will get used to better blocking just like orton did

Traveler
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
no differant than orton...how many times we see him just throw it away because pressure was comeing when scrambling just a little would allow a wr time to get open...or dumping it to the short guy with somebody open deeper..just cause theres a little pressure

quinn will get used to better blocking just like orton did

Let me be more clear. Maybe I should have said panics in pressure situations when great QB's make plays when the team needs it most.

claymore
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Let me be more clear. Maybe I should have said panics in pressure situations when great QB's make plays when the team needs it most.

Plummer was very frustrating to say the least.

weazel
03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
doesn't every QB want to start?

dogfish
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

I hate him in a purely redneck bigot sort of way. I think Dog might have a legitimate reason.

yea, i definitely dislike him even more than clay. . . i honestly don't care if he's gay or not-- i don't think it would be very popular in the locker room, but other than that i could give a shit who anyone sleeps with. . . i can't stand him because he's an arrogant, self-entitled megadouche and a terrible quarterback. . . .

Lancane
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
yea, i definitely dislike him even more than clay. . . i honestly don't care if he's gay or not-- i don't think it would be very popular in the locker room, but other than that i could give a shit who anyone sleeps with. . . i can't stand him because he's an arrogant, self-entitled megadouche and a terrible quarterback. . . .

You must hate McDaniels with a passion as well...:D

dogfish
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
You must hate McDaniels with a passion as well...:D

nah, i'm cool with josh most of the time. . . i do sometimes wonder if he has a tendency to be his own worst enemy, and i get frustrated with what i percieve as rookie mistakes (like admitting that they weren't prepared for last year's draft, but then being hyper-aggressive), but i think he has the potential to be a really good coach. . .

i do worry that hitching his star to orton's wagon (let alone quinn) could be a mistake that leads to his undoing here in denver, and i was really hoping he'd draft a talented QB prospect to whisper to. . . it's one of the reasons that acquiring quinn bothers me so much. . .

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Dogfish, I don't care for Brady Quinn either, mostly because he's a pretty boy queer that couldn't throw his own shit and hit a barn. But you said "i can't stand him because he's an arrogant, self-entitled megadouche", and I'd like to know exactly how you know this?

How many times have you spoken with Brady Quinn?

Lancane
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
nah, i'm cool with josh most of the time. . . i do sometimes wonder if he has a tendency to be his own worst enemy, and i get frustrated with what i percieve as rookie mistakes (like admitting that they weren't prepared for last year's draft, but then being hyper-aggressive), but i think he has the potential to be a really good coach. . .

i do worry that hitching his star to orton's wagon (let alone quinn) could be a mistake that leads to his undoing here in denver, and i was really hoping he'd draft a talented QB prospect to whisper to. . . it's one of the reasons that acquiring quinn bothers me so much. . .

Well I agree with you on this completely. I feel that even though he is a solid coach, it will be his personnel decisions and headstrong desire to prove himself better then the talent on the roster that will, as you said be his undoing in Denver. Especially under Bowlen...the man is a bonified offensive minded owner and he saw a good offense dismantled and replaced with a mediocre unit, this is why I believe McDaniels would be stupid to actually trade Marshall, he gives the team a sort of security blanket, because he has that type of talent. If the offense is worse and does not improve and he continues to go with mid-grade talent because they are team orientated, then we could see his demise much quicker then some think.

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Dogfish, I don't care for Brady Quinn either, mostly because he's a pretty boy queer that couldn't throw his own shit and hit a barn. But you said "i can't stand him because he's an arrogant, self-entitled megadouche", and I'd like to know exactly how you know this?

He just throws off that vibe. I'm sure Dogfish isn't the first to get that impression from Quinn.

dogfish
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM

probably about exactly as many times as everyone on here who calls philip rivers a douche has spoken with him, so feel free to run down all those posts too. . . .

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Quinn wants to start...

http://www.twinsdays.org/geauga_lake/surprise.gif

Of course he does...

Who wouldn't say that?

dogfish
03-17-2010, 01:36 PM
He just throws off that vibe. I'm sure Dogfish isn't the first to get that impression from Quinn.

public people create impressions of their personality based on their actions and their words in interviews. . .

quinn's comments during his holdout were more than enough to convince me that he's a complete ass. . . .

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
...that he's a complete ass. . . .

...don't forget that he's ghey too. :D

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
public people create impressions of their personality based on their actions and their words in interviews. . .

quinn's comments during his holdout were more than enough to convince me that he's a complete ass. . . .

In his defense, his more recent comments have been much better.

Did he learn a lesson, or is he just playing to the microphone? I don't know, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Still, I totally understand someone who doesn't want to give that benefit. He earned whatever impression he gets fairly enough.

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
players change. Hard not to be cocky and arrogant when everyone has kissed your butt your entire life due to your athlete ability. They are humpty dumpty until something knocks you off your wall. The NFL is good about being an egg-tipper.

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
probably about exactly as many times as everyone on here who calls philip rivers a douche has spoken with him, so feel free to run down all those posts too. . . .

Man... what a douche. I hate that guy.

dogfish
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Man... what a douche. I hate that guy.

me too, man. . . me too. . . .

claymore
03-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Id take rivers over Quinn. :eek:

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM

We're talking football here, Clay...

...not 'in bed?'

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Noooo way!!!!! You're nuts!! Quinn understands our mega-difficult, takes years to master, no-one-can-get, super complex system of bubble screens and button hooks!! What would RIvers do?

Dreadnought
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM

As fans we have that right. I can pretend Rivers is a douche, merely based on his wearing the powder blue - plus he is ghey on top of it. Every Raider is a felon, as are their fans. Thats a known fact. Jay Cutler whined his way out of town. All Chiefs fans have mullets and F-150's on cinder blocks and date their kin. All of these things are known truths to football fans, most often because its comforting to think so. And note too that some of these might even have a grain of truth to them, however miniscule. :D

claymore
03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
We're talking football here, Clay...

...not 'in bed?'
NO way. Id want QUinn to butter my biscuits.

Sex=Quinn

Football= Rivers

:eek:

Noooo way!!!!! You're nuts!! Quinn understands our mega-difficult, takes years to master, no-one-can-get, super complex system of bubble screens and button hooks!! What would RIvers do?LMFAO! damn... Could you imagine the sweet 9 yard hail mary rainbows to Gaffney though!

Ravage!!!
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
LMFAO! damn... Could you imagine the sweet 9 yard hail mary rainbows to Gaffney though!

Whoo Hooo.... that just hurt me to read :tsk:

Lancane
03-17-2010, 02:08 PM
NO way. Id want QUinn to butter my biscuits.

Sex=Quinn

Football= Rivers

:eek:
LMFAO! damn... Could you imagine the sweet 9 yard hail mary rainbows to Gaffney though!

You want to have sex with Quinn and for him to butter your biscuits...and here I thought you just hated him because you believe him to be gay, did not know you swung that way Clay...go stud!...hehehe. You're even talking about rainbows?...:eek:

Dreadnought
03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Noooo way!!!!! You're nuts!! Quinn understands our mega-difficult, takes years to master, no-one-can-get, super complex system of bubble screens and button hooks!! What would RIvers do?

That is an outstanding point Rav. The system is so brilliantly complicated that we need to refocus our draft efforts. Our future QB needs to come from MIT or Johns Hopkins, probably with a degree in Particle Physics or abstract mathematics. Once that happens you will see the brutal efficiency of the bubble screen/button hook offense unleashed! Throw in an occassional delayed draw out of a shotgun...Man, I can see it all now!

We don't have the right kind of players on the roster, thats all. Forget the SEC and Big 12

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
... I'd want QUinn to butter my biscuits...

http://motivateurself.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/omfg.jpeg

Lancane
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Come on Lingus, if Clay is willing to open up his 'Mangina' for Quinn to feel welcomed and make him a better quarterback, that's really giving it his all for the sake of the team!

We should applaud his effort... :congrats:

Broncolingus
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Come on Lingus, if Clay is willing to open up his 'Mangina' for Quinn to feel welcomed and make him a better quarterback, that's really giving it his all for the sake of the team!

We should applaud his effort... :congrats:

Alright, fine...

Here you go, Clay...

http://rlv.zcache.com/well_butter_my_butt_and_call_me_a_biscuit_tshirt-p235945540889792647trlf_400.jpg

Bon Appétit, big guy...

arapaho2
03-18-2010, 11:40 AM

and again no differant then play it safe orton...in every game you could see multiple times the pressure was close and he chose the simple checkdown, throw the ball away..or drop to a fetal position...when a second more would mean a wr getting open deeper

SOCALORADO.
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
and again no differant then play it safe orton...in every game you could see multiple times the pressure was close and he chose the simple checkdown, throw the ball away..or drop to a fetal position...when a second more would mean a wr getting open deeper, that Orton could hit anyways, cause he cant throw that far.....

:lol:

Lancane
03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
and again no differant then play it safe orton...in every game you could see multiple times the pressure was close and he chose the simple checkdown, throw the ball away..or drop to a fetal position...when a second more would mean a wr getting open deeper

Shhhh... You should not talk about people's heroes that way, the neckbeard society will be all anal now, because their furry friend got dissed. Now we will have to hear how Brady is even gayer then gay...lol.

dogfish
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Brady Quinn says his foot is fine
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2010 9:43 PM ET

The Cleveland Browns placed quarterback Brady Quinn on injured reserve in December with a foot injury. But in his first public comments since being traded to the Denver Broncos, Quinn said the foot is no longer an issue.

"The foot is good, I appreciate you asking," Quinn said at his press conference in Denver today.

Quinn suffered what has been described as a severe Lisfranc sprain in his left foot during the Browns' December 20 against the Kansas City Chiefs, but after two months in a walking boot he's healthy, passed his physical and is working out with his new team.

Those workouts, he says, have been strenuous.

"The guys on the team are unbelievable," Quinn said. "Working out with them, you see their competitive nature, the way they work, their dedication. The only tough adjustment now has been the altitude, going up and down the stairs has been a little rough here. That, amongst other things [strength coach Rich] Tuten has us doing."

Quinn says he's also been watching film and studying the Broncos' playbook. One thing he hasn't done yet is touch base with fellow Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton. That meeting is expected to take place on Friday.

he's probably afraid orton will drop him with a swift right hook. . . . 'cuz kyle orton is badass like that. . .

edit: some of the comments left on that post are pretty amusing. . .

Maybe he can learn to throw with his foot.

Overtime
03-19-2010, 12:46 AM
great acquisition. I'm excited about Quinn coming to Denver!!!

screw Kyle Orton he sucks!!!