PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey notices teammates' absence from workouts

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Champ Bailey notices teammates' absence from workouts (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/champ-bailey-notices-teammates-absence-from-workouts/)

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 15, 2010 3:47 PM ET
When the Denver Broncos began their voluntary offseason conditioning program today, cornerback Champ Bailey was there. He noticed a lot of teammates who weren't.

"I noticed not as many guys are here as normal (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14679496). I guess with a lot of guys being restricted, and new guys coming in, not everyone's going to be here," Bailey told the Denver Post. "That's just another thing we have to deal with."

Among the players not there were restricted free agents Kyle Orton, Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Marshall, Chris Kuper and Tony Scheffler. It's not surprising that a player without a contract would decide not to participate in voluntary workouts, although Orton has said he plans to attend (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/orton-praises-quinn-will-show-for-workouts-friday/) after he gets back from the NFL Players' Association meetings in Hawaii.

Bailey said he's been in touch with Orton and Dumervil and knows they're staying in shape. He also said he's planning to call Marshall, who is not expected to be back with the Broncos in 2010.

For Bailey, who just got a $3 million bonus (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/13/broncos-pay-3-million-roster-bonus-to-champ-bailey/) as part of a whopping $26.1 million he's making combined in 2009 and 2010, he says he realizes the voluntary workouts are part of the job. Even if they're not a part of the job he particularly enjoys.

"Honestly man, it starts way too early. I think our first game is what, September?" Bailey told the Post. "It is what it is, though. They pay me a lot of money to come here and work out with these guys though, so I'm going to be here."

dogfish
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
orton's a TEAM player with a TEAM first attitude who puts the TEAM first-- i'm sure he was actually there, and champ probably just didn't notice him because he was cloaked by his aura of humility. . . .

:D

Foochacho
03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Kinda hard being at the players association meetings and team workouts at the same time. He has already said that he plans to be there since he is the qb and leader.

dogfish
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Kinda hard being at the players association meetings and team workouts at the same time.

not everyone can pull that kinda stuff off, it's true. . . then again, not many men can grow a neckbeard that compares to kyle's, either. . .

Northman
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
orton's a TEAM player with a TEAM first attitude who puts the TEAM first-- i'm sure he was actually there, and champ probably just didn't notice him because he was cloaked by his aura of humility. . . .

Team > Players association

Countdown til board meltdown

:lol:

Foochacho
03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
it's only march the team can wait a couple days.

dogfish
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
it's only march the team can wait a couple days.

there's no march in TEAM. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
03-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I knew there was reason that Champ just got that huge $3 million roster bonus! He's so damned observant! I mean, he's the only one who "noticed" that our starting QB, starting RG, starting #1 WR, and starting OLB/sackmaster, and our receiving TE weren't at offseason workouts?

He's more than just an all pro, he's a God-damned Sherlock Holmes!

Man some of these offseason articles are just terrible. Couldn't they just report who was there and who wasn't instead of having to interview Champ to say, "yep, I noticed they ain't here"? :2thumbsdown::dur:

rationalfan
03-15-2010, 06:03 PM
i'll take champ quotes any time i can get them. he's refreshing; one of the few players who speaks his mind well, rather than offering dull non-offensive banter.

FanInAZ
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Team > Players association

If he is designated as a representative of the player on his team, then its his duty as a team player to attend.

topscribe
03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
"They pay me a lot of money to come here and work out with these guys though, so I'm going to be here."

Something that seems to escape the minds of a lot of athletes . . .

-----

topscribe
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Orton is the one guy with a legitimate reason for not being there . . .

-----

Tom Nalen
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I like Champ...but it is easy to say the right things when you are the highest paid Bronco.

dogfish
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
found this posted in PFT's comments:

If only we had 22 champ bailey's........ Super Bowl every year. I mean... some of the Champ Baileys would have to eat a lot and gain about a hundred pounds. But it would be awesome.

:lol::lol:

Lancane
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM
"They pay me a lot of money to come here and work out with these guys though, so I'm going to be here."

Something that seems to escape the minds of a lot of athletes . . .

-----

Wow I get something totally different from that then you Top...

It translates like this in my opinion: "You stupid mother******s, if you would have paid Marshall, Dumervile and Kuper they would be here right now, like I am...because I got paid, but because you did not pay em' they are not here...but you paid me, so I am a happy team player!"

nevcraw
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Wow I get something totally different from that then you Top...

It translates like this in my opinion: "You stupid mother******s, if you would have paid Marshall, Dumervile and Kuper they would be here right now, like I am...because I got paid, but because you did not pay em' they are not here...but you paid me, so I am a happy team player!"

Potato - Potato.

bcbronc
03-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Orton is the one guy with a legitimate reason for not being there . . .

-----

you don't think not having a contract is a legit reason? I'd have to disagree there. one, why risk the injury while negotiating. two, other than Orton, none are guaranteed to be Broncos next year. makes no sense, or cents, for them to be attending an optional workout without a contract.

topscribe
03-16-2010, 01:02 AM
you don't think not having a contract is a legit reason? I'd have to disagree there. one, why risk the injury while negotiating. two, other than Orton, none are guaranteed to be Broncos next year. makes no sense, or cents, for them to be attending an optional workout without a contract.

Because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to others.
We cannot rightly attribute our values to others.

But that wasn't my point. I thought it should have been relatively easy to figure out.

-----