PDA

View Full Version : Huge news. Defensive players now allowed to communicate with coaches

haroldthebarrel
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2008/04/fins-nfl-owners.html

Excerpt:
"-- The owners passed the resolution, by a count of 25-7, to apply the Coach-to-Quarterback communication to the defensive side. A team may designate two players each week who may wear the coach-to-defense radio, but they must never be on the field at the same time with the receiver in their helmets."

The resoluton was passed by the owners committee. Wohoo!!
For those who doesnt think it is big news I have but two words; John Lynch.

Getting another season from Lynch just now became a lot bigger than it was earlier.

underrated29
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I dont like it. I am not a fan of it persoanlly.

I like the 12th man advantage. I think it will now be a lesser effect since the defense can hear the coaches now. I also think that it will be harder on the offense. If the offense wants to audible, they change then the defense coaches see that, they can change their defense and then the offense would have to audible again, which by then could have no time left on the clock.

Bronco9798
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2008/04/fins-nfl-owners.html

Excerpt:
"-- The owners passed the resolution, by a count of 25-7, to apply the Coach-to-Quarterback communication to the defensive side. A team may designate two players each week who may wear the coach-to-defense radio, but they must never be on the field at the same time with the receiver in their helmets."

The resoluton was passed by the owners committee. Wohoo!!
For those who doesnt think it is big news I have but two words; John Lynch.

Getting another season from Lynch just now became a lot bigger than it was earlier.

Does putting a head-set in John Lynch's make him younger and cover better. No, it don't. I don't think its that big of a deal.

haroldthebarrel
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM

I like the 12th man advantage. I think it will now be a lesser effect since the defense can hear the coaches now. I also think that it will be harder on the offense. If the offense wants to audible, they change then the defense coaches see that, they can change their defense and then the offense would have to audible again, which by then could have no time left on the clock.

Well, for one thing. Peyton Mannings escapades with audibles and fake audibles is gonna get a lot worse to do.
In the end, this had to come sooner or later IMHO. The pressure will be on execution a lot more than it ever did. And to tell the truth, too many coaches gets a bad rap for plays that are due to lack of execution rather than scheming indeficiencies.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Good thing we have two veteran safeties that we could switch on and off the field. Hopefully a vet like Lynch and his sub (McCree?) could take on that responsibility. I would have to think that a safety or MLB could see the field well enough to take advantage of this luxury.

haroldthebarrel
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Does putting a head-set in John Lynch's make him younger and cover better. No, it don't. I don't think its that big of a deal.

No, but having communication with Lynch and coaches might make the OTHER PLAYERS fill their assignments better.

Mike
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Aren't fans supposed to be quiet when their team has the ball?

Bronco9798
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
No, but having communication with Lynch and coaches might make the OTHER PLAYERS fill their assignments better.

Once the ball is snapped, the communications are worthless. Again, I just don't see it as an advantage or disadvantage. QB's have communication in thier helmet. It basically is used to get a play in. Once the ball is snapped, you have to execute. Just saying......

GEM
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Aren't fans supposed to be quiet when their team has the ball?

Not at Invesco. Last game of the season, the cheese and cracker crowd was loud the whole time....bunch of idiots. :coffee:

Felt like turning around to them and telling them.....It's 4th and 2, could you possibly shut up so that the Oline don't jump early.

Sadly, a lot of people at Invesco don't have a clue as to football these days.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I like it... evens the playing field a little bit... everyone knows the rules favor the offense more than the defense. I like how they are starting to give the defense a little edge back. Imagine how good Champ Bailey would be in the old days when defensive players could pretty much grab or touch an offensive player anywhere on the field... none of this 5 yard crap.

haroldthebarrel
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Once the ball is snapped, the communications are worthless. Again, I just don't see it as an advantage or disadvantage. QB's have communication in thier helmet. It basically is used to get a play in. Once the ball is snapped, you have to execute. Just saying......

Well, just as offenses have presnap audibles so do the defense try to even that ground with their presnap audibles.

I dont know about all players, but I know that Moore gives Manning in three plays to play with two of them being audibles to advantages.

It might not be an advantage in the end, though I think it should create better rooms for the veteran defenses as well as particularly young defenses(who make more mental mistakes due to lack of experience).

I chose to call it huge news as it does take back an advantage that particularly Manning has been exploiting over the years.
He has always gone through his seconds of "talking" just to get an idea of the coverage and especially blitz assignments to the defense. Thus making his line playing a lot better than it really would have, had they not very often known the blitzes and stunts.

LRtagger
04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

I think you're looking a bit too deeply into it. What is keeping OC's from tipping the QB's to coverages and blitzes from their pressbox? I don't think it will effect the game any besides the defense not having to signal in plays. I think it's only fair that the defense be given the same luxury as the offense.

shank
04-01-2008, 04:49 PM
i don't know if i like it or not. it definitely stresses execution, but takes a lot of reponsibility away from defenses, mostly MLBs whose job it is to get their team lined up.

since only one player gets the communication system, i would expect boss or mccree to get it because they will probably be on the field more than anyone else.

niko and lynch will not be on the field in nickle and dime packages, and i would expect for boss to get the nod in any dime/prevent packages over dj because pass defense seems to be one of boss's best aspects...

(if i'm wrong and it's one ON-FIELD player at a time, then disregard what i just wrote, but i understood it to be one player per game.)

claymore
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Schefter just said New England was one of the reasons this passed this year. LMAO.

shank
04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Schefter just said New England was one of the reasons this passed this year. LMAO.

they need the guy upstairs watching tape of the opposing team to let someone know what the signals mean. seau can't be expected to overcome his alzheimer's and remember all that!

dogfish
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I like it... evens the playing field a little bit... everyone knows the rules favor the offense more than the defense. I like how they are starting to give the defense a little edge back. Imagine how good Champ Bailey would be in the old days when defensive players could pretty much grab or touch an offensive player anywhere on the field... none of this 5 yard crap.

exactly! it's far past time they stopped going to whatever lengths they can think of to create more advantages for the offense-- let the defense play! ditch the five yard no contact rule and bring back the head slap. . . :D

broncohead
04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
There could be a posibility where one player has 2 helmets. One with the headset and one without. Williams and Lynch have the headsets but only one person wares them on the field. ex. If injury or a different package makes Lynch go out Williams puts on the other helmet.

Brand
04-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Looks like the Filming Department of the Patriots just lost positions.....

I like the idea. It does take that "temptation to cheat" aspect out of the game. I would think DJ and Champ would be designated since they are in almost all of the D plays. There would still be the need for backup signals in case both of the designated players are out of the game.....

Simple Jaded
04-02-2008, 12:15 AM
So Mike Shanahan can now talk to the defensive players too? Just what he's always wanted......more control......

Lonestar
04-02-2008, 12:29 AM
This is only meant to counter the filming and decoding the hand signals from the sidelines.. That is all, the plays where being called in before just via smoke signals, or hand signals..

Belichick just got checkmated..