View Full Version : Broncos Cut Simms

Buff
03-15-2010, 02:07 PM
...Bout time.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/15/2010 12:55:21 PM MDT
Updated: 03/15/2010 01:06:38 PM MDT

A day after trading for quarterback Brady Quinn from Cleveland, the Broncos on Monday cut backup QB Chris Simms.

Simms, who played in parts of two games last season, was set to make $2.54 million next season.

In Week 11, Simms started against the Chargers in Denver. But he was benched after only three series in favor of an injured Kyle Orton. It was just Simms' second start since 2006.

The Broncos now have three quarterbacks on their roster: Orton, Quinn and second-year pro Tom Brandstater.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14679399?source=rsssimplepiehome#ixzz0iH39g4OG

East Coast Fan
03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah. All he did was clean out our cash register. But we were nuts enough to pay him that kind of money....

Nomad
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
:whoo::party: Daddy Simms is going to rip the BRONCOS next year!!:lol:

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Hooray! A move I actually fully support and enjoy!

Adios, Spleenless Wonderboi!

claymore
03-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Well now we are almost as good now as we were last Friday.

GEM
03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Woooohoooo the world is right again. Phil Simms can go back to despising the Broncos as much as he did prior to last year. :laugh:

underrated29
03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I for one and going to miss our little Golden Rod.

honz
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Meh, Simms didn't work out for us, but he seems like a good guy that tries hard. No need to celebrate his misfortune of having a career derailing spleen injury.

Ziggy
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Simms was worth a gamble. It's not like he cost us a draft pick. Turns out, he just doesn't have it. Oh well. Nothing lost.....out of my wallet anyways.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM

i'm happy with the apparent upgrade of quinn over simms.....but man that was COLD:smow:

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Well now we are almost as good now as we were last Friday.

but a whole lot gayer....right?:tsk:
somebody needs a happy pill

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
i'm happy with the apparent upgrade of quinn over simms.....but man that was COLD:smow:

Except that I have called him that since the day we signed him, in hopes he would be a great QB here. :D His story would have been epic had he been able to overcome all he's been through. I even thought, clearly mistakenly, that he showed more than Orton in preseason and should have been the starter.

I'm sure he's a great guy and I mean no malice in my nickname for him. But man, he sucked out loud on the field last year, I always thought we paid way too much for him and I'm glad we have a replacement and he's off the books.

Northman
03-15-2010, 02:21 PM
About fricking-spleen time.

G_Money
03-15-2010, 02:32 PM

Ditto. We could get Rod Smith out of retirement to be our backup QB and I'd be happier about it than getting another year of Simms.

Thank you Brady Quinn for replacing the spleenless wonder on our depth chart. :salute:

Believing you cannot possibly suck as much as Phil's son sucked doesn't mean I have high hopes yet...but it's a start. :laugh:

~G

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm never happy about anybody losing a job BUT we are better off without Simms in our QB mix. Seems like a great guy but didn't seem to have what it takes anymore to be a NFL QB.

rationalfan
03-15-2010, 02:48 PM
this has never/rarely been discussed about cutler's exit, but i still believe the rift between mcdaniels and cutler began when the broncos signed simms.

it wasn't because cutler was threatened by the competition. he was annoyed that simms was scheduled to make more than he was in 2009. fortunately for cutler, the matt cassel hit the fan and he found a good excuse to publicly be mad at the organization.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm never happy about anybody losing a job BUT we are better off without Simms in our QB mix. Seems like a great guy but didn't seem to have what it takes anymore to be a NFL QB.

I agree - I am sure that when he almost died on the football field when he was injured - that totally done him in mentally, as far as playing any more football.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Part of the problem was that when he came into the league, he was expected to live up to the ability of his father, so he was always sort of in his shadow. Same happened for Griese, though I would say he was more successful of the two. Elway's son will be cast in a similar light eventually, can you imagine living in his shadow and the expectations that will fall onto him...

:eek:

claymore
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Part of the problem was that when he came into the league, he was expected to live up to the ability of his father, so he was always sort of in his shadow. Same happened for Griese, though I would say he was more successful of the two. Elway's son will be cast in a similar light eventually, can you imagine living in his shadow and the expectations that will fall onto him...

Elway's kid already quit on football I think.

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Didn't Jack quit playing ball?

Lancane
03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Elway's kid already quit on football I think.

I did not know that, but looked it up...well it's probably for the better, he really did not love the sport as much as others and the shadow on him had to be difficult.

#1dolphinfan
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Chris Simms seemed to look good when he was in Tampa before he has his injury but ever since then he has gone down hill and down hill fast

HORSEPOWER 56
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
If for nothing else, this is the upside of the Quinn trade...;)

Timmy!
03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Shocking.

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
now we only have 3 gay quarterbacks :(

Lancane
03-15-2010, 03:23 PM

People keep saying that...but Quinn's girlfriend is a F'n fox, I think more men would claim to be gay if you could get with a girl like her...lol.

claymore
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
People keep saying that...but Quinn's girlfriend is a F'n fox, I think more men would claim to be gay if you could get with a girl like her...lol.

I bet she has an 8 inch clitoris.

rationalfan
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM

i realize many of these "gay" posts are for humor. but i have to imagine a few of the promiment broncos over the years were secretly homosexual (law of averages). for example, there was always a strong rumor about one of the three amigos ...

as seinfeld would say, "not that there's anything wrong with that."

Buff
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Neckbeard slays a ton of poon too.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I bet she has an 8 inch clitoris.

Clay...bro, hahaha...Oh ****!

I can not stop laughing, I would still trade my wife for her...even if that was true, sometimes those little freakish birth defects are fun...lol.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Neckbeard slays a ton of poon too.

Girls hanging out in front of Weight Watchers doesn't count as poon, but Whale Hunting!

:D

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I suggest ya'll start a Lounge thread for this train of thought.

And by suggest, I mean it cannot continue in Broncos Talk.

Thanks.

Tned
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Simms was worth a gamble. It's not like he cost us a draft pick. Turns out, he just doesn't have it. Oh well. Nothing lost.....out of my wallet anyways.

I had really hoped Simms would have a good showing here. I followed him a little when he was in Tampa and thought he was a gutsy player, even before playing in the playoff game with the ruptured spleen.

Obviously, I wasn't impressed with his play last year, and I fully expected him to get cut after the Quinn trade was announced, but when we first signed him (other than at that point I knew Cutler was gone), I hoped for more from him.

KCL
03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
What a shocker!!!!

claymore
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM
What a shocker!!!!

Hey! Keep that talk in the lounge! :werd:

Tned
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
this has never/rarely been discussed about cutler's exit, but i still believe the rift between mcdaniels and cutler began when the broncos signed simms.

it wasn't because cutler was threatened by the competition. he was annoyed that simms was scheduled to make more than he was in 2009. fortunately for cutler, the matt cassel hit the fan and he found a good excuse to publicly be mad at the organization.

I'm not sure if him making more bothered him, since Cutler had the up front money. However, the message it sent me, so I am sure that Cutler and his agent saw, was that they paid Simms much more that a spleenless backup, who hadn't really played in three years should have been paid ($6 million over two years). That told me that McDaniels was going to move Cutler and wanted someone he thought he could slip into the starting spot.

Whether or not that was part of their rift. Who knows?

Timmy!
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
:mod:

claymore
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
:mod:

Timmy, this place is getting out of hand. We need to carry this joint on our backs.

Timmy!
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Timmy, this place is getting out of hand. We need to carry this joint on our backs.

Good thing I have wide shoulders. :D

Broncolingus
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Broncos Cut Simms...

J6_1Pw1xm9U

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
i went ahead and started a gay thread in the lounge to keep teh ghey in there :elefant:

Dirk
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Hooray! This made an otherwise blah Monday much better!

But I do hope the best for Chris....I'm not all mean. :listen:

UnderArmour
03-15-2010, 06:51 PM
If it had been up to me, I would have cut him before he got on the plane after the Redskins game and made him catch another flight, that was HORRIBLE.

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
If it had been up to me, I would have cut him before he got on the plane after the Redskins game and made him catch another flight, that was HORRIBLE.

exactly. that was embarassing. he was in camp before orton and acted like he had never read the playbook or a gameplan for that game. see ya!

turftoad
03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
You guys remember how his dad, Phil, would diss the Broncos all the time during broadcasts?
Then Chris came to Denver, no more bashing from Phil.
That said, I bet he really hates the Broncos now. Can't wait to hear the bashing to the extreme from here on out. :tsk:

Just thought of that. :D

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
You guys remember how his dad, Phil, would diss the Broncos all the time during broadcasts?
Then Chris came to Denver, no more bashing from Phil.
That said, I bet he really hates the Broncos now. Can't wait to hear the bashing to the extreme from here on out. :tsk:

Just thought of that. :D

im phil simms

turftoad
03-15-2010, 07:39 PM
im phil simms

I already knew that Carl. :salute:

DenBronx
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
wow this exspleens alot on what the broncos think of simms.

hotcarl
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
wow this exspleens alot on what the broncos think of simms.

when he gets home hes going to have a lot of (e)xplainin(g) to do!!

Bozo Jr.
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow! Really...what took so long. I see a career change in Golden Rod's future.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
03-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Bye Chris Simms!!!!

You ******* *****!!!!

Hate you!

Won't miss you!!!

PEACE BITCH!!!

Dirk
03-19-2010, 05:19 AM
:tsk:

OMG. Such hate. Uncalled for. Granted I was one of the outspoken on getting rid of him, but wow!

roomemp
03-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Simms gave it his best. I respect that....He was a team guy......He just doesn't have it anymore........No need to hate the guy

TXBRONC
03-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Agreed hating Simms because he didn't do very well is pathetic.

claymore
03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
I hope he enjoys being a millionaire.

Nomad
03-19-2010, 07:36 AM
I hope he enjoys being a millionaire.

:lol:True! No matter who we dislike or bitch about, these guys can always think to themselves....haha, I'll make more than you ever will and I suck at what I do!!

SR
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Bye Chris Simms!!!!

You ******* *****!!!!

Hate you!

Won't miss you!!!

PEACE BITCH!!!

Worst....post....ever....

broncofaninfla
03-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Uhhh.......yeah.......Simms didn't work out and I think we are a better team without him BUT I didn't hate the guy at all. He worked hard, was a class act and was very supportive of Orton and Mcd. He was well liked and respected by his teammates just seemed to have lost the skills needed to perform at the NFL level. I didn't want him on the team anymore but I didn't hate nor wish him any ill will.

atwater27
03-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Bye Chris Simms!!!!

You ******* *****!!!!

Hate you!

Won't miss you!!!

PEACE BITCH!!!

Clearly you have no sensitivity. What will ChrisSimmsSoldier#128 do now?

LTC Pain
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Clearly you have no sensitivity. What will ChrisSimmsSoldier#128 do now?

Haters have no loyalty and always find another negative bandwagon to jump on.

Zweems56
03-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I never was a fan of Simms, but wow.

You're a ******* *******.

MileHighCrew
03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow Simms wasn't even close to one of the Broncos I have been happy to see go over the years. I am happy from the stand point I think the Broncos are stronger without Simms, but not happy because I thought he was a douche. I hope Simms goes to the UFL to get some playing time and tries to work his way back into the NFL instead of finding another place to hold a clip board.