PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment on Brandstater

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
If I am interpreting the following correct, this comment is from Adam Schefter, on Brandstater:

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
If I am interpreting the following correct, this comment is from Adam Schefter, on Brandstater:

Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.

While that is interesting...unless McDaniels can actually do more then put together a mediocre team and actually find success in the post season within the next two years, there is a likelyhood that Denver will have a new regime and one that likely does not use the spread offense.

NightTrainLayne
03-15-2010, 01:27 PM

I was just trying to get here to post those two tweets from Schefter.

#1: Adam_Schefter Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

#2: Adam_Schefter RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.

rationalfan
03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
While that is interesting...unless McDaniels can actually do more then put together a mediocre team and actually find success in the post season within the next two years, there is a likelyhood that Denver will have a new regime and one that likely does not use the spread offense.

now here's a quote from someone with an open mind.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I think Adam is making a point that the 2 top QBs on the roster, are NOT long-term solutions. I dont' think this is a comment 'for' Brandstater, as much as it was 'against' Quinn and Orton.

CoachChaz
03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I appreciate Shefter's insider stuff...but I'll stick with the input of NFL personnel guys when it comes to potential and talent

Lancane
03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
now here's a quote from someone with an open mind.

I am very open minded, however, the most interesting thing to me is that if they felt Brandstater was the future in Denver, why has the team been so heavily investing time looking at quarterback prospects available in this years draft. Why trade for Quinn to be the backup quarterback, because if he was really the best long-term answer, shouldn't Brandstater be given the chance to backup Orton this year as he progresses in the system, instead of trading two good picks and a player for a backup? I guess I just question the whole of it...

Not to mention that Schefter has also had a falling out with Denver's Front Office, he seems to have little insider information anymore since moving to ESPN and since Shanahan's left-over staff members have gone.

honz
03-15-2010, 01:38 PM

I guess change is scary to a lot of fans, but I feel like McD has shown more that suggests we are headed in the right direction than the other way around. With all the brand new schemes and roster overhaul that happened last year, not to mention a tough schedule, to not have a drop off in success is encouraging to me. It seems to me that a lot of people forget that we had a mediocre roster and had been a middling team for several years before McD got here.

SOCALORADO.
03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I am very open minded, however, the most interesting thing to me is that if they felt Brandstater was the future in Denver, why has the team been so heavily investing time looking at quarterback prospects available in this years draft. Why trade for Quinn to be the backup quarterback, because if he was really the best long-term answer, shouldn't Brandstater be given the chance to backup Orton this year as he progresses in the system, instead of trading two good picks and a player for a backup? I guess I just question the whole of it...

Not to mention that Schefter has also had a falling out with Denver's Front Office, he seems to have little insider information anymore since moving to ESPN and since Shanahan's left-over staff members have gone.

The "NE way" is to invest in the most important position in pro sports. Even if you have a HOF QB currently in his prime. Look how it pans out for them in draft picks.

Nomad
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
May the best QB win the job! Whatever it takes for the BRONCOS to win.....is that PR enough!:D

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2010, 01:43 PM

What kind of a falling out did Schefter have with Denver's Front Office? I had not heard that.

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
What kind of a falling out did Schefter have with Denver's Front Office? I had not heard that.

its not so much a falling out as it is the new staff gives a crap less about shefter.....shanny was boys with shefter....MCd is friends with no media member and probally never will be....

Lancane
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I guess change is scary to a lot of fans, but I feel like McD has shown more that suggests we are headed in the right direction than the other way around. With all the brand new schemes and roster overhaul that happened last year, not to mention a tough schedule, to not have a drop off in success is encouraging to me. It seems to me that a lot of people forget that we had a mediocre roster and had been a middling team for several years before McD got here.

Defensively mediocre, but Denver had a terrific offense before he came, they were young and improving rapidly and were just short of a good rusher to be even better. I would trade McDaniel's offense for Shanahans' in a heartbeat; could you imagine where we would have gone with Cutler and company plus Moreno and Buckhalter last year with last year's defense? We would have won the damn division outright, of that I have no doubts. Now we are changing blocking schemes and lack lineman to really put it together, half the fandom does not want Orton to be the quarterback, we may lose our best offensive weapon in Marshall and we still have a few defensive issues...

Do you really want to tell me we have improved, looks more like we have taken a step back and are rebuilding more then what was needed!

Ravage!!!
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM

I agree. If Brandstater had shown enough, then he would be competing for the starting role this season. For some reason, some around here think that rookies are going to sit for 3-4 years to learn....even though we see rookies starting all over the NFL. :confused:

I don't think Brandstater ever sees a game as an NFL starter (without injury to the guy ahead of him). Seems that those late round, back-up, QBs are so VERY VERY popular on our message boards. I still remember all the clamor for BVP and Jackson. The list can go on and on.

Schefter's comment was intended to be a poke against Orton and Quinn more than for Brandstater.

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
its not so much a falling out as it is the new staff gives a crap less about shefter.....shanny was boys with shefter....MCd is friends with no media member and probally never will be....

Making up stuff isn't cool, man. A conjecture is fine, but don't state things as fact if you don't know. And then consider:

Why is it that Schefter continues to be the one who usually breaks all Denver news? :confused:

honz
03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Defensively mediocre, but Denver had a terrific offense before he came, they were young and improving rapidly and were just short of a good rusher to be even better. I would trade McDaniel's offense for Shanahans' in a heartbeat; could you imagine where we would have gone with Cutler and company plus Moreno and Buckhalter last year with last year's defense? We would have won the damn division outright, of that I have no doubts. Now we are changing blocking schemes and lack lineman to really put it together, half the fandom does not want Orton to be the quarterback, we may lose our best offensive weapon in Marshall and we still have a few defensive issues...

Do you really want to tell me we have improved, looks more like we have taken a step back and are rebuilding more then what was needed!
We had a decent offense, but far from terrific. We moved the ball well, but getting the ball in to the endzone and rushing in short yardage situations had been a consistent problem under Shanny for a while. I attribute much of that to the ZBS and our undersized OLine. That change was welcomed by me.

Did our offense regress last year? Yes, but I expect it to be significantly better next year assuming we keep Marshall, which I believe we will. Also, Shanny had several years to get talent like Moreno and Bucky in here to go along with a decent defense, but he was unable to do so. Him being stuck in his ways, many that us fans had grown comfortable with and accustomed to, began to hurt the organization. I welcome the change and am excited by it. There is always some bumps in the road when dealing with a great deal of transition, but I still feel like McD will take this team in the right direction over the next few years. I don't see any reason why we won't get better if we keeping adding solid players like McD has done plenty of since he signed on.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Making up stuff isn't cool, man. A conjecture is fine, but don't state things as fact if you don't know. And then consider:

Why is it that Schefter continues to be the one who usually breaks all Denver news? :confused:

Schefter wrote for the Denver Post for 15 years. He was right here in Denver.

Also frau is correct - Schefter continues to be the one who usually breaks all Broncos news first. I will read something on his twitter page, and then go to the Denver Post to see what they have, and it takes them some time to post what Schefter has already posted.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Schefter wrote for the Denver Post for 15 years. He was right here in Denver.

Also frau is correct - Schefter continues to be the one who usually breaks all Broncos news first. I will read something on his twitter page, and then go to the Denver Post to see what they have, and it takes them some time to post what Schefter has already posted.

Schefter has not been the one to break news regarding the Broncos since going to ESPN, let's not forget that the remaining staff members of Shanahan's regime are likewise gone...Schefter is tight with Shanahan, he is writing Shanahan's biography for him. Please tell me what F'n news stories has he broken this off-season regarding Denver? He can twitter all he wants, Klis may listen to him, and likely writes his column based off that. But I have seen more news about Denver broken by other sources before Schefter has stated such. Jay Glazer of Fox Sports broke the Quinn trade story, the inept Klis broke the cutting of Andra Davis...even our signings were broke by other such reporters, Schefter's input thus far has been nothing but conjecture...like Seattle might sign Marshall, or Seattle weighing in on Marshall. That is not breaking the story as if he was still an insider. If he breaks a real big story, then I will say I was wrong and eat crow...till then!

claymore
03-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Schefter has not been the one to break news regarding the Broncos since going to ESPN, let's not forget that the remaining staff members of Shanahan's regime are likewise gone...Schefter is tight with Shanahan, he is writing Shanahan's biography for him. Please tell me what F'n news stories has he broken this off-season regarding Denver? He can twitter all he wants, Klis may listen to him, and likely writes his column based off that. But I have seen more news about Denver broken by other sources before Schefter has stated such. Jay Glazer of Fox Sports broke the Quinn trade story, the inept Klis broke the cutting of Andra Davis...even our signings were broke by other such reporters, Schefter's input thus far has been nothing but conjecture...like Seattle might sign Marshall, or Seattle weighing in on Marshall. That is not breaking the story as if he was still an insider. If he breaks a real big story, then I will say I was wrong and eat crow...till then!

Spiritguy just broke the Matt Tennant workout story.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Spiritguy just broke the Matt Tennant workout story.

Hahaha... :beer:

Nomad
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM

He was only joking pretending not to know:D but he never admits being wrong!! Honestly who cares who breaks the story or has the inside info, if something happens it'll get out eventually and then we'll all know!

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Let's not forget that our GM (in name), Xanders, was here when Shanahan was. Let us not forget most of the scouting staff has remained in place. IIRC, our cap and contract expert is still here. There are lots of staff members from the Shanahan era that are still in Dove Valley.

I'd have to go back to try to find out what stories he's broken. If I get bored enough, I might do that.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Let's not forget that our GM (in name), Xanders, was here when Shanahan was. Let us not forget most of the scouting staff has remained in place. IIRC, our cap and contract expert is still here. There are lots of staff members from the Shanahan era that are still in Dove Valley.

I'd have to go back to try to find out what stories he's broken. If I get bored enough, I might do that.

Where do you get this crap? Really...I want to know, Xanders had been here not even a whole season before Shanahan was released. So they really did do much together at all, most people knew that when he was named G.M., Dave Bratten and Greg Miller are the only two scouts remaining from the Shanahan regime, hired within his tenure here...the others are mostly new, Cornell Green and Scott DiStefano were both here long before Shanahan was the head coach here. Most of those who were hand picked by Shanahan were replaced...

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 02:51 PM

I agree to a point but our offense wasn't mediocre, our defense was putrid. Now our defense is better and offense putrid.

rationalfan
03-15-2010, 03:05 PM

those are good points. but none of that was in your first post, which read like a pessimistic take on the organization fueled only by bias.

rationalfan
03-15-2010, 03:06 PM
on schefter: peter king still says to believe anything schefter says about the broncos.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
those are good points. but none of that was in your first post, which read like a pessimistic take on the organization fueled only by bias.

I guess I could see where that could be, but was not meant to be that way. My view on the whole is that it feels like McDaniels is betting his career on Orton. He already has been bashed by the media and around the league for so much, starting with the Cutler issue...and betting it all on Orton is not really the best move. But hey, if it works great...if not then we fans just have to wait longer to find success.

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Where do you get this crap? Really...I want to know, Xanders had been here not even a whole season before Shanahan was released. So they really did do much together at all, most people knew that when he was named G.M., Dave Bratten and Greg Miller are the only two scouts remaining from the Shanahan regime, hired within his tenure here...the others are mostly new, Cornell Green and Scott DiStefano were both here long before Shanahan was the head coach here. Most of those who were hand picked by Shanahan were replaced...

Who says breaking news has to come directly from the head coach? Use your thinking cap please. When I used to get breaking news, it came from the administrative side, NOT the coaching side. Unfortunately, my old contact is gone (who, btw, wasn't "handpicked" by Shanahan). Denver is more than just McDaniels.

The fact is you said Shanahan's staff was all gone and that is patently untrue.

NightTrainLayne
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
on schefter: peter king still says to believe anything schefter says about the broncos.

As far as that goes, I have yet to see Schefter be wrong on much Broncos related.

Only time I've seen Schefter wrong on anything was him tweeting that Bob Stoops was leaving Oklahoma last season, and he quickly retracted it and said that he should just stick with the NFL.

Lancane
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Who says breaking news has to come directly from the head coach? Use your thinking cap please. When I used to get breaking news, it came from the administrative side, NOT the coaching side. Unfortunately, my old contact is gone (who, btw, wasn't "handpicked" by Shanahan). Denver is more than just McDaniels.

The fact is you said NO ONE remained and that is patently untrue.

Point taken...:lol:

But as I pointed out in another thread, Denver since Schefter went to ESPN from the NFLN has really had some of the worst coverage by local media. Even when local media reports 'breaking news' it is reported on sites like PFT before the actual site of the columnist or reporter...which is pretty sad. My point is and was that as for this off-season, Schefter has yet to be the one breaking a major story regarding the Broncos. The biggest thus far being the trade for Quinn and Jay Glazer broke that story.

LTC Pain
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I only hope McDaniels gives Brandstater a better chance to develop and fit into the Bronco offense as compared to what he gave Peyton Hillis. If Brandsater gets to only play in a couple of pre-season games over the next two seasons then is dropped like the plague then all the "project QB", "McDaniels knows how to develop QBs", "Brandstater has a chance to succeed long term" talk was BS.

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM

:confused: i made nothing up, shanny and shefter were good friends....mcd has no loyalty to the media right now nor should he??? i mean have you seen how he addresses them???:confused:

and shefter probally does it because its his job, and we tend to always have alot of news going on in the football world....

the factual reality is shefter hasnt been right on stuff with the broncos like he was when shanny was here...you tell me if he still has the inside intel on denver all the time..or is he just having bad days at the office..:confused:

and maybe i stated it as fact because i do know.....:eek: shefter isnt the insider for denver info anymore....

rcsodak
03-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I was just trying to get here to post those two tweets from Schefter.

#1: Adam_Schefter Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

#2: Adam_Schefter RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.

Gee......thanks for that duplicate post, NTL. :rolleyes:

:lol:

rcsodak
03-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Alot of good that "great" offense does for you, lan, when you are giving up more points than you're scoring.

Last I looked, no team has ever won the SB in the last umpteen years, that doesn't have a good defense.

Evidently you forgot that Shanny didn't know shit about the other side of the ball? ;) And it's not like his last 2 years' offenses were lighting it up! They were his usual great-between-the 20's, and kick the FG!

You can't have it both ways. Either it's shanny's 'FG offense/shit defense', or McD's 'good defense/FG offense'.

I'll take the latter. :cool:

frauschieze
03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
:confused: i made nothing up, shanny and shefter were good friends....mcd has no loyalty to the media right now nor should he??? i mean have you seen how he addresses them???:confused:

and shefter probally does it because its his job, and we tend to always have alot of news going on in the football world....

the factual reality is shefter hasnt been right on stuff with the broncos like he was when shanny was here...you tell me if he still has the inside intel on denver all the time..or is he just having bad days at the office..:confused:

and maybe i stated it as fact because i do know.....:eek: shefter isnt the insider for denver info anymore....

:facepalm:

It is not worth the time to argue. I've already stated and rested my case. Not sure if you saw before you posted or not, but I'm not going to repeat it.

Elevation inc
03-16-2010, 05:59 AM
:facepalm:

It is not worth the time to argue. I've already stated and rested my case. Not sure if you saw before you posted or not, but I'm not going to repeat it.

meh okay no worries...maybe i was just lost in translation then...*shrugs*