View Full Version : Orton not fretting over quinn trade

titan
03-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Like what Orton has to say in this interview

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/14/orton-not-fretting-quinn-trade

Posted March 14, 2010, 10:51 pm MT
Orton not fretting Quinn trade
By MIKE KLIS

Talked to Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton earlier this evening. He’s out in Hawaii attending the NFL union meetings. Orton’s reaction to the Brady Quinn trade: “”We’ve made a lot great moves this offseason and this is another one,’’ Orton said. “”He’s a great player and I’ll be happy to work with him.’’

The other moves Orton referred to were mostly about the Broncos revamping their defensive line with the signings of Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green.

Orton said he had to talked to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels before the trade for Quinn was executed.

“”I will keep that private but I do have total confidence that I’m the guy there,’’ Orton said. “”Just like every year I’m going in to try and earn my starting job. I don’t think I have anything to fret.’’

Orton’s presence over there will make him absent here at 8 a.m. Monday for the first team meeting of the 2010 season. Orton said he will arrive at Dove Valley and begin his offseason conditioning program with the team Friday.

“”My couple days I’m not there is certainly not a message I’m trying to send,’’ Orton said. “”I’m out here trying to help the 53 players on the roster and the 1,900 players get ready for a lockout that the owners seem committed to.’’

Orton is the only one of the Broncos’ Big 5 restricted free agents _ the others are Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Marshall, Chris Kuper and Tony Scheffler _ who will attend the team’s voluntary offseason conditioning program this week. Many of the NFL’s restricted free agents will skip the voluntary session as a form of protest against their one-year tenders. In other years, fourth- and fifth-year players like the Broncos’ Big 5 would have become unrestricted free agents. Not in the uncapped year. Complete free-agent eligibility has been upped to six years of service.

“”It’s an unfortunate situation that people have to handle individually. It’s a personal decision,’’ said Orton, a fifth-year player. “”I see it as the clubs are using the rules in place to put the tenders on these guys. It’s also in the rules that players don’t have to show up for offseason workouts. I certainly support the other four guys 100 percent for not showing up. I also feel that as a quarterback, I owe it to my teammates to be there.’’

His newest teammate, and quarterback partner, is Quinn.

“’Whether you trade for a guy, or draft a guy, or you sign a guy in free agency, all you ask for is a chance for competition,’’ Orton said. “”I’ve been in situations where that wasn’t the case and that’s the most frustrating deal. If you get beat out by a guy you can handle that. If you never have a chance to compete then that’s a whole different story.’’

Ravage!!!
03-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Phwew..... I know I feel a lot better

Lancane
03-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Does anyone else feel the drama coming? Just wondering, because the way I see it, McDaniels' seems to be pinning his tenure on Kyle Orton's shoulders. Bowlen states that he would like a franchise quarterback, so McDaniels trades for Brady Quinn...but why not draft someone? Orton will only get his one year tenure or a small contract at best, no way Bowlen let's McDaniels and Xanders give a big contract to Orton with only one year of marginal success. Not to mention that fans will likely be screaming for Quinn when the Broncos lose or have slow games, I can hear it now. So he eliminated Brandstater from the minds of the fans to be the eventual starter, or for now. But after this upcoming season, McDaniels will only have two years left on his contract, so he sort of has to prove that he is the coach and Orton is the man, because if not then he will be Orton-less with likely one year to prove himself and Quinn, Brandstater or some said Rookie can do it at that point and if not then well, say good-bye McDaniels...three years with no success and the team will still be hurting to fix what he dismantled.

It's like a sports soap opera...lol.

Tangerine
03-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Does anyone else feel the drama coming? Just wondering, because the way I see it, McDaniels' seems to be pinning his tenure on Kyle Orton's shoulders. Bowlen states that he would like a franchise quarterback, so McDaniels trades for Brady Quinn...but why not draft someone? Orton will only get his one year tenure or a small contract at best, no way Bowlen let's McDaniels and Xanders give a big contract to Orton with only one year of marginal success. Not to mention that fans will likely be screaming for Quinn when the Broncos lose or have slow games, I can hear it now. So he eliminated Brandstater from the minds of the fans to be the eventual starter, or for now. But after this upcoming season, McDaniels will only have two years left on his contract, so he sort of has to prove that he is the coach and Orton is the man, because if not then he will be Orton-less with likely one year to prove himself and Quinn, Brandstater or some said Rookie can do it at that point and if not then well, say good-bye McDaniels...three years with no success and the team will still be hurting to fix what he dismantled.

What are you rambling about?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
03-15-2010, 01:37 AM

What the **** are you talking about?

Broncolingus
03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
"...there is no drama..."

http://www.empireonline.com/images/features/100greatestcharacters/photos/2.jpg

sneakers
03-15-2010, 05:14 AM
"...there is no drama..."

http://www.empireonline.com/images/features/100greatestcharacters/photos/2.jpg

I sense a great disturbance in the force...

FanInAZ
03-15-2010, 05:20 AM
I sense a great disturbance in the force...

No kidding! It started with the Cutler trade last year and it looks like it could be even worst this year. I'm not saying that I'm not giving McD the benefit of the doubt, but there are quite a few fans on this site that are not.

claymore
03-15-2010, 06:55 AM

I dont think it could get anymore dramatic.

McDaniels needs t have an "Anchor Baby" if he has a crap year in 2010.

Brady is it.

Nomad
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I hold Orton to a higher standard than the last yahoo who was under center when it comes to being a professional and not being a baby about the matter and competing for the job againt another QB.....Orton's had alot of experience from his Chicago days!

It seems a few here want drama and I don't recall Bowlen ever making that comment! Oh well, some people always live in the glass half empty world!!

Tned
03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
“”My couple days I’m not there is certainly not a message I’m trying to send,’’ Orton said. “”I’m out here trying to help the 53 players on the roster and the 1,900 players get ready for a lockout that the owners seem committed to.’’

“”It’s an unfortunate situation that people have to handle individually. It’s a personal decision,’’ said Orton, a fifth-year player. “”I see it as the clubs are using the rules in place to put the tenders on these guys. It’s also in the rules that players don’t have to show up for offseason workouts. I certainly support the other four guys 100 percent for not showing up. I also feel that as a quarterback, I owe it to my teammates to be there.’’

A couple statements from Orton I thought was interesting.

First, the language about the owners being committed to a lockout. From what I have seen, the union played hard ball leading up to the expiration of the CBA, because they thought they had much more leverage (owners fear of an uncapped year) than they actually had.

Second, his words about the OTA's and that he will attend, even though he is an RFA without a contract. It's one of the reasons I like him.

claymore
03-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I hold Orton to a higher standard than the last yahoo who was under center when it comes to being a professional and not being a baby about the matter and competing for the job againt another QB.....Orton's had alot of experience from his Chicago days!

It seems a few here want drama and I don't recall Bowlen ever making that comment! Oh well, some people always live in the glass half empty world!!

You mean Plummer? he was the only one that I know of that acted like a Baby in this situation.

Tned
03-15-2010, 08:37 AM
What are you rambling about?

What the **** are you talking about?

I think he's saying that Orton is gambling his career in Denver on Orton, and is using Quinn at least partially to stop the "start Brandstater" screams, and also to remove the pressure of drafting a QB this season, since he just traded for a guy that is only a few years removed from being a first round pick.

A head feint, simply meant to buy him the time he needs to prove that he can win with Orton and doesn't need to draft a big name QB.

Something like that.

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Orton is used to competition, not even sure how much competition Quinn will even be. I just hope we draft a guy who makes both obselete.....

CoachChaz
03-15-2010, 08:52 AM
You mean Plummer? he was the only one that I know of that acted like a Baby in this situation.

Were you asleep last off-season?

Nomad
03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Orton is used to competition, not even sure how much competition Quinn will even be. I just hope we draft a guy who makes both obselete.....

Do you really think McDaniels will go after a QB in this draft??

claymore
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Were you asleep last off-season?
I dont get it.

I think he was implying that Cutler was a baby, which I dont understand. Plummer was a baby when Cutler was drafted though.

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Do you really think McDaniels will go after a QB in this draft??

I'm convinced of it, yes. I think he'll follow through with his declaration of selecting the best player available and I think at some point that will be a QB.

Nomad
03-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I dont get it.

I think he was implying that Cutler was a baby, which I dont understand. Plummer was a baby when Cutler was drafted though.

They both were, but I liked Plummer though there were plenty of times I said' that effing Plummer' and really couldn't stand Cutler and last year really sealed the deal!! Orton is handling this like a professional regardless of what people think of his talent and Orton or Quinn could be a different QB behind a solid oline and running game!!

Nomad
03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm convinced of it, yes. I think he'll follow through with his declaration of selecting the best player available and I think at some point that will be a QB.

That's cool! But at this point with the addition of Quinn and having Tom B, I'd be surprised!!

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 09:10 AM
That's cool! But at this point with the addition of Quinn and having Tom B, I'd be surprised!!

i thinks its clear MCD's comments with his Qb's outside of orton are smokescreens...lol:lol:

i would imagine we will go with orton, quinn, and let brandy earn his job against another late rd Qb....heck could be crompton in the 6th rd and he ends up on the PS.....lol

Northman
03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
You live by the sword you die by it. Either McD sinks or swims but right now i see a lot of what happened to Mangina in Cleveland. Disgruntled reciever, Quarterback carosel, assitant coach carosel, the list goes on. McD has a lot to do this year so for the sake of my time i hope he can do it but on the surface it doesnt look all that pretty.

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 09:16 AM
You live by the sword you die by it. Either McD sinks or swims but right now i see a lot of what happened to Mangina in Cleveland. Disgruntled reciever, Quarterback carosel, assitant coach carosel, the list goes on. McD has a lot to do this year so for the sake of my time i hope he can do it but on the surface it doesnt look all that pretty.

brandon has been disgruntled for years, and its his own fault.....QB carousel? MCd never switched out qb's mid game or mid season.....he gives his Qbs the chance to compete and stays with the winner....not even close to how mangina ran his operation, and i glad we have a carosule right now at Qb unless people are happy with a abysmal chris simms and a unproven brandy....its actually a position of need....we just addressed it.....

Nomad
03-15-2010, 09:20 AM
i thinks its clear MCD's comments with his Qb's outside of orton are smokescreens...lol:lol:

i would imagine we will go with orton, quinn, and let brandy earn his job against another late rd Qb....heck could be crompton in the 6th rd and he ends up on the PS.....lol

What did McD say?? You say Tom B is unproven why not give him a chance and draft for depth at other positions in the later rds!!

Shazam!
03-15-2010, 09:20 AM

You cant be serious.

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
What did McD say?? You say Tom B is unproven why not give him a chance and draft for depth at other positions in the later rds!!

because MCD is a qb whisperer much in the way shanny was with rb's:lol:

Nomad
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
because MCD is a qb whisperer much in the way shanny was with rb's:lol:

:lol:I guess we'll see!! Maybe McD can be an oline and dline whisperer as well!!

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 09:33 AM

I'm very curious to see where Brandstater is at this point in his career. Looks like we'll have some good competition at the QB spot for both the starting and back up postions.

I'm guessing we'll see some veteran additions on the O line soon as I doubt we will fill all of those holes with draft picks.

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 09:36 AM
:lol:I guess we'll see!! Maybe McD can be an oline and dline whisperer as well!!

well personally i belive he is on the right track with the DL....:salute:

but i starting to wonder if he only belives we need 4 people on the OL....i mean no center yet....or maybe he just didnt think mawae, hadnot and fraley were worth there asking price....

i certainlly hope he turns into a draft whisperer and gets us some extra picks before rd 4....getting some DL youth, and a starting center plus depth at guard would be beastly....:D

Nomad
03-15-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm very curious to see where Brandstater is at this point in his career. Looks like we'll have some good competition at the QB spot for both the starting and back up postions.

I'm guessing we'll see some veteran additions on the O line soon as I doubt we will fill all of those holes with draft picks.

What veterans do you speak of that are worth giving a try??

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 09:41 AM
well personally i belive he is on the right track with the DL....:salute:

but i starting to wonder if he only belives we need 4 people on the OL....i mean no center yet....or maybe he just didnt think mawae, hadnot and fraley were worth there asking price....

i certainlly hope he turns into a drfat whisperer and gets us some extra picks before rd 4....getting some DL youth, and a starting center plus depth at guard would be beastly....:D

The o line has my full attention to, resigning Hochstien scares the living sh*t out of me. He already audtioned for the guard postion and flopped in teh worst way, I hope Denver isn't counting on him to turn it around.

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
The o line has my full attention to, resigning Hochstien scares the living sh*t out of me. He already audtioned for the guard postion and flopped in teh worst way, I hope Denver isn't counting on him to turn it around.

i thought hochstein played well at times...i would like to see him as a back-up though not a starter....i belive it was hamilton, weigman and polumbus that were our main issues.....that combined with harris untimely injury...yeah well we were f'ered.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
i think this means simms is history.....how can that be a bad thing ?:confused:

Broncolingus
03-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Orton not fretting over quinn trade

This is Orton's spokesperson confirming that he isn't 'frettin' over this move...

http://www.lambcity.com/images/LCC%20Hillbilly%20weekend%202004/hillbilly11.jpg

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
This is Orton's spokesperson confirming that he isn't 'frettin' over this move...

http://www.lambcity.com/images/LCC%20Hillbilly%20weekend%202004/hillbilly11.jpg

i thought it WAS orton....until i noticed the beard is on "the face" and not "the neck";)

Lancane
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I think he's saying that Orton is gambling his career in Denver on Orton, and is using Quinn at least partially to stop the "start Brandstater" screams, and also to remove the pressure of drafting a QB this season, since he just traded for a guy that is only a few years removed from being a first round pick.

A head feint, simply meant to buy him the time he needs to prove that he can win with Orton and doesn't need to draft a big name QB.

Something like that.

Finally someone sees the point, I guess I should have used 'baby-talk' for some others to understand.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Klis: Orton will still be the starter in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2010 8:44 PM ET
With former first-round pick Brady Quinn now shipped from Cleveland to Denver, there's a question as to whether Quinn or Kyle Orton will be the starting quarterback for the Broncos.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the new guy won't supplant the holdover; per Klis, Orton will start.

Though Orton's status could change, the decision makes sense, for a couple of reasons. First, Orton is a restricted free agent, tendered at the first-round level. His base salary is $2.62 million, nearly four times greater than Quinn's $700,000 compensation.

Then there's the fact that Quinn will unlock $5.9 million in 2011 escalators if he takes 70 percent or more of the snaps on offense this season. By making him the backup, the Broncos are guaranteed to get two seasons out of him at a total payout of a paltry, relatively speaking, $1.4 million.

For the Browns, the move closes the books on one of the worst recent trades since the Cowboys pillaged the Vikings in exchange for Herschel Walker more than 20 years ago. Cleveland gave up a high second-round pick in 2007 and a first-round pick in 2008 for the ability to pick Quinn. To the extent that anyone is still interested in trading for Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, that price tag should be kept in mind.

Broncolingus
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
i thought it WAS orton....until i noticed the beard is on "the face" and not "the neck";)

Actually, I think its Jake Plummbor...that ought to be where he is about now methinks.

...just don't see his kids banjo in the pic anywhere.

Anyway, another pic of a 'hot dude' for all the girls here to oogle over...:D

Lancane
03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Klis: Orton will still be the starter in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2010 8:44 PM ET
With former first-round pick Brady Quinn now shipped from Cleveland to Denver, there's a question as to whether Quinn or Kyle Orton will be the starting quarterback for the Broncos.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the new guy won't supplant the holdover; per Klis, Orton will start.

Though Orton's status could change, the decision makes sense, for a couple of reasons. First, Orton is a restricted free agent, tendered at the first-round level. His base salary is $2.62 million, nearly four times greater than Quinn's $700,000 compensation.

Then there's the fact that Quinn will unlock $5.9 million in 2011 escalators if he takes 70 percent or more of the snaps on offense this season. By making him the backup, the Broncos are guaranteed to get two seasons out of him at a total payout of a paltry, relatively speaking, $1.4 million.

For the Browns, the move closes the books on one of the worst recent trades since the Cowboys pillaged the Vikings in exchange for Herschel Walker more than 20 years ago. Cleveland gave up a high second-round pick in 2007 and a first-round pick in 2008 for the ability to pick Quinn. To the extent that anyone is still interested in trading for Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, that price tag should be kept in mind.

Read that, but the one thing I have to completely disagree with is that if Quinn proves to be better then Orton and is benched clearly for the money...then McDaniels really has no business coaching in the NFL. I don't think Josh would do that, but...

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Read that, but the one thing I have to completely disagree with is that if Quinn proves to be better then Orton and is benched clearly for the money...then McDaniels really has no business coaching in the NFL. I don't think Josh would do that, but...

might play him 68% of the snaps to keep from having to pay him 5.9 mill in 20011 when there may not be any games though....that may be bowlen's choice not mcD's.
i would have said 69% but clay would have got "all excited":laugh:

underrated29
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Quinn will not play better than Orton THis year.... He might next year or after that, but I promise you there is no way, no way that Orton loses his job to quinn....

Not because Quinn sucks, but Orton knows the system and is getting the hang of things, and we face less tough defenses this year and will have a better ol and run game...Now of course Quinn would have that too, but my point being. Kyle will be slinging it this year and Quinn will not stand a chance against him this year.

Northman
03-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Yea, i dont care about the salary money. I just want the best QB to be under center and if it turns out to be Quinn so be it. Its all about winning for me.

Northman
03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Quinn will not play better than Orton THis year.... He might next year or after that, but I promise you there is no way, no way that Orton loses his job to quinn....

Not because Quinn sucks, but Orton knows the system and is getting the hang of things, and we face less tough defenses this year and will have a better ol and run game...Now of course Quinn would have that too, but my point being. Kyle will be slinging it this year and Quinn will not stand a chance against him this year.

Yea, i remember hearing that about Brister and Griese at one point too. :confused:

Trust me, if Orton stinks it up early i dont think McD will hesitate to pull him.

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
What veterans do you speak of that are worth giving a try??

Mawea (sp) for one but honestly am not in love with anybody available right now. Not sure who is still available and hoping some get cut soon to add to the available list.

broncofaninfla
03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Lets say for the sake of an argument that Orton wins the job, Denver is still one injury away from fielding our back up QB which looks like will be Quinn right now. I can't say that gives me a rosey feeling considering our O line woes.

Nomad
03-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Finally someone sees the point, I guess I should have used 'baby-talk' for some others to understand.

It might be possible that people understand what you are saying and don't agree with your take.

underrated29
03-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Yea, i remember hearing that about Brister and Griese at one point too. :confused:

Trust me, if Orton stinks it up early i dont think McD will hesitate to pull him.

I agree, jMFmd would be dumb not to pull the plug. But I am saying that Orton will not stink it up....He will be solid. Or atleast solid enough to keep brady at bay. (for this year that is.)

Lancane
03-15-2010, 12:35 PM

That is your opinion, and promise what you want...but fact remains that Quinn has more experience in the spread offense then Orton. Now I'm not saying he will or will not, no one really knows the truth of it. Fact remains that originally McDaniels wanted Quinn last year to come to Denver and be his general before he got Orton. And any scout you ask will tell you that Quinn has far more athletic ability, upside and talent then Orton. Plus he is a Weis product, Charlie Weis has had more to do with New England's offense then many people give credit for, after all he was the offensive coordinator there and he also coached Quinn at Notre Dame, so in around about way Quinn has more experience with the Pro-Spread then Orton does in a single season. The one key factor will be how badly did Cleveland's inept coaches screw up Quinn during his time away from the spread offense!

So I would not guarantee anything...Quinn will want to prove his worth, especially since he will want to get paid, he is only making $700,000 for the year, he has no new contract and no upfront money coming to move and traveling back and forth to Ohio would be taxing. I do not think Orton will just be handed the job either, no matter what McDaniels said...because obviously he says one thing and his actions speak something else.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
one thing mcD has always said is he will put the players that give us the best chance to win on the field.
he has not said orton (or any player for that matter) has the starting spot next year,so i dont see where speculation on the matter should become a way to bash the coach....but never the less it will anyway:laugh:

Ravage!!!
03-15-2010, 12:47 PM
one thing mcD has always said is he will put the players that give us the best chance to win on the field.
he has not said orton (or any player for that matter) has the starting spot next year,so i dont see where speculation on the matter should become a way to bash the coach....but never the less it will anyway:laugh:

Every coach says this.

underrated29
03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
That is your opinion, and promise what you want...but fact remains that Quinn has more experience in the spread offense then Orton. Now I'm not saying he will or will not, no one really knows the truth of it. Fact remains that originally McDaniels wanted Quinn last year to come to Denver and be his general before he got Orton. And any scout you ask will tell you that Quinn has far more athletic ability, upside and talent then Orton. Plus he is a Weis product, Charlie Weis has had more to do with New England's offense then many people give credit for, after all he was the offensive coordinator there and he also coached Quinn at Notre Dame, so in around about way Quinn has more experience with the Pro-Spread then Orton does in a single season. The one key factor will be how badly did Cleveland's inept coaches screw up Quinn during his time away from the spread offense!

So I would not guarantee anything...Quinn will want to prove his worth, especially since he will want to get paid, he is only making $700,000 for the year, he has no new contract and no upfront money coming to move and traveling back and forth to Ohio would be taxing. I do not think Orton will just be handed the job either, no matter what McDaniels said...because obviously he says one thing and his actions speak something else.

I agree with everything you are saying. But I still also stand by the fact that Kyle win be our starter this year. Next year, I doubt it, unless of course he goes off for 30+tds, which is possible but doubtful. Quinn is our future now, and maybe a developmental QB like, pike, skelton, etc from the draft. However, Kyle is still the man until they get brady up to speed.... I just do not see brady coming in and beating out kyle this year.. To much to do, to much to learn. Kyle has a year of exp. It will be his job.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I think this "too much to learn" stuff is WAAYYYYy over-rated. Reading defenses is what QBs need to learn. WRs run the SAME routes from team to team. ITs the NAMES of the routes and reads that take a QB to learn from moving from one team ot the next. Quinn has a HUGE leap ahead since he already knows the terminology. There won't be all this learning curve. I heard people say the same thing when we drafted a QB, thinking it would be 2-3 years before he was put in while learning behind the incumbent.

It just doesn't take that long. THe playbook really isn't as deadly complicated as some make it out to be. Ask any QB that moves, and they always say that its the 'name of the plays" that is the hardest part to learn. If you have that down...well.........

Lancane
03-15-2010, 01:15 PM

No, I would not say anyone is bashing him...well not exactly, more or less we are questioning him. According to reports by Lombardi of the NFLN and Klis of the Denver Post, Orton is still the starter via McDaniels own words and Ortons'.

But let's look at the underlining of the situation: Bowlen states he would like to draft a quarterback; chances are slim that would happen now. The statement alone starts rumors ablaze, because he also said that he wants Orton to return? Yet, the team has not made a big effort to get him re-signed to a longer deal, Bowlen is not the type to give a big contract to a quarterback with one good, yet mediocre season under his belt. We all know that Orton was in the doghouse a couple times last year, apparent from McDaniels being up in his face a few times and yelling at him on the sidelines. We also know for a fact that Denver coaches and scouts have been visiting quarterback prospects for this year's draft in droves. That alone tells me that they are not as high as they say on Brandstater nor on Orton being the long-term quarterback of the team, after all...McDaniels only has three more years on his contract to prove he was not a mistake, likely two years if he wants to see a chance to see his contract year.

We also know from what has been said by several media sources that McDaniels wanted Cassell, but his second choice was infact Quinn and Orton was said to be his third. Now he has Quinn, his second overall choice to be his quarterback, does anyone really believe that he wants Orton to succeed over Quinn? That is like saying that if he would have gotten Cassell and Orton last year that Orton would be the favorite to lead the team, we all that is not so. Plus Quinn is a Weis product, and Charlie Weis was the offensive coordinator at the height of New England's success with the pro-spread, he took it to Notre Dame and had success with it and Quinn was successful in that system. Orton hails from a whole different system and found success in the Pro-Spread, but can he really beat someone who knows the system better and had more years in it, let alone is a former first round pick with what some consider far more talent?

The other issue is McDaniels...he is a good coach, but he is known for contridicting himself. Cutler's the quarterback, yet he tries to trade him...he looks forward to playing with Cutler and yet he moves to get Quinn to replace him after Cassell is no longer in the picture. Marshall and him are on good terms, but then again...and everyone thinks he wants Marshall gone now and there are signs that the relationship is still strained and as of yet he has no new contract. Look at what he said about Hillis and where that went.

Overall, until the season actually begins...many of us will not have a clue what he is planning or thinking. And with his track record, if I was Orton...I would not feel secure because of what he said, after all...no coach should guarantee a starting position, especially when suddenly he gets the quarterback he actually wanted before you came to town and one that was raised in the system.

CoachChaz
03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I think this "too much to learn" stuff is WAAYYYYy over-rated. Reading defenses is what QBs need to learn. WRs run the SAME routes from team to team. ITs the NAMES of the routes and reads that take a QB to learn from moving from one team ot the next. Quinn has a HUGE leap ahead since he already knows the terminology. There won't be all this learning curve. I heard people say the same thing when we drafted a QB, thinking it would be 2-3 years before he was put in while learning behind the incumbent.

It just doesn't take that long. THe playbook really isn't as deadly complicated as some make it out to be. Ask any QB that moves, and they always say that its the 'name of the plays" that is the hardest part to learn. If you have that down...well.........

I agree and disagree. I do think there is a transitional phase for QB's that can take more than a season to accomplish. It's most obvious when young QB's transition to the NFL, but can occur when transitioning to a new team and system.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I agree and disagree. I do think there is a transitional phase for QB's that can take more than a season to accomplish. It's most obvious when young QB's transition to the NFL, but can occur when transitioning to a new team and system.

Sure. But Quinn has had plenty of NFL film-room study, and working with/against NFL defenses. He knows the speed of the NFL, and is familiar with how to read different defenses. Thats the advantage over getting a rookie (well, obviously that depends on the rookie).

But Quinn, in this circumstance, is WAY ahead. ITs like Favre moving to the Vikings last year. Favre knew the plays, knew the terminology, and understood the system already. Quinn is going to know this when coming in. He's not going to have to spend time just 'learning' allllllllll the names for every route and position on the field. He'll know it all (maybe needing some brushing up, but thats a weeks worth of study).

I believe, from that point forward....its not who knows the system better. IT will come down to who plays better on the field. Even right now, if the coach just makes up a play in his head, and calls out the routes.... Quinn isn't going to be completely clueless. He's going to understand what was said from day 1. HUGE advantage compared to Orton last year.

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Every coach says this.

of coarse they do....and they mean it.
why would'nt they ? i doubt many people get to become a head coach of an nfl team by trying to lose

CoachChaz
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Sure. But Quinn has had plenty of NFL film-room study, and working with/against NFL defenses. He knows the speed of the NFL, and is familiar with how to read different defenses. Thats the advantage over getting a rookie (well, obviously that depends on the rookie).

But Quinn, in this circumstance, is WAY ahead. ITs like Favre moving to the Vikings last year. Favre knew the plays, knew the terminology, and understood the system already. Quinn is going to know this when coming in. He's not going to have to spend time just 'learning' allllllllll the names for every route and position on the field. He'll know it all (maybe needing some brushing up, but thats a weeks worth of study).

I believe, from that point forward....its not who knows the system better. IT will come down to who plays better on the field. Even right now, if the coach just makes up a play in his head, and calls out the routes.... Quinn isn't going to be completely clueless. He's going to understand what was said from day 1. HUGE advantage compared to Orton last year.

I agree...and based on that, I feel Quinn should be able to have success if he played this season. I think there would be some transitioning as it pertained to teammates, etc. But I think (assuming the OL gets fixed) he could step in and continue to grow as an NFL QB

Nomad
03-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I agree...and based on that, I feel Quinn should be able to have success if he played this season. I think there would be some transitioning as it pertained to teammates, etc. But I think (assuming the OL gets fixed) he could step in and continue to grow as an NFL QB

Right now, I have doubts on any QB out there around the league if the oline is as piss poor as they were at the end of the season.

I was reading at BM (being people like to compare or they are looking for the next HOFer), but someone brought up how Steve Young sucked at Tampa and got a new start in SF!! May not be a good comparison, but a new start could be a good thing for Quinn!!

Elevation inc
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM

i agree in a way but i dont think quinn will be able to play very well next year at level some already expect, i think he will be great for this system and the learning curve there will be minimal, but rest assured quinn has quite a few flaws developed from his days in clevland, his accuracy has dropped, his dropback technique isnt very good, his decision making is poor, and his confidence has been shot....

with that being said i belive he has the skill set to be a franchise Qb with the right coaching...in denver i belive he gets it, which is why i think the deal for the long run is good for us...

i do not however belive he is ready to start next year, nor do i want him to....make no mistake about it, MCD has some serious coaching to do with this kid to get him out of that stank clevland left on him....

andersen went from being a probowler to cant even get a job worthwhile now....that orginization literally set quinn back, MCd has the skil lto fix that and quinn certainly has the tools.

the good news is we dont need him to start right away, becasue he doesnt need that pressure, he gets solid coaching a good vet to learn from, and a chnace to compete and be with a team that wants him....

this is the best spot quinn could have landed for a career ressurection, but i do not belive in anyway shape or from that will occur next year.

im not a quinn fan, but i do see his potential and upside, and i do belive with the right coaching he could very well be the future here in 2011 or 2012, but i do not see that happening next year....there is just to much damage and bad habbits he learned in clevland to fix in off-season....i belive he could be a back-up effectively next year if he had to start here or there, but he is not ready for a full shot untill he gets his flaws corrected....

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
No, I would not say anyone is bashing him...well not exactly, more or less we are questioning him. According to reports by Lombardi of the NFLN and Klis of the Denver Post, Orton is still the starter via McDaniels own words and Ortons'.
But let's look at the underlining of the situation: Bowlen states he would like to draft a quarterback; chances are slim that would happen now. The statement alone starts rumors ablaze, because he also said that he wants Orton to return? Yet, the team has not made a big effort to get him re-signed to a longer deal, Bowlen is not the type to give a big contract to a quarterback with one good, yet mediocre season under his belt. We all know that Orton was in the doghouse a couple times last year, apparent from McDaniels being up in his face a few times and yelling at him on the sidelines. We also know for a fact that Denver coaches and scouts have been visiting quarterback prospects for this year's draft in droves. That alone tells me that they are not as high as they say on Brandstater nor on Orton being the long-term quarterback of the team, after all...McDaniels only has three more years on his contract to prove he was not a mistake, likely two years if he wants to see a chance to see his contract year.

We also know from what has been said by several media sources that McDaniels wanted Cassell, but his second choice was infact Quinn and Orton was said to be his third. Now he has Quinn, his second overall choice to be his quarterback, does anyone really believe that he wants Orton to succeed over Quinn? That is like saying that if he would have gotten Cassell and Orton last year that Orton would be the favorite to lead the team, we all that is not so. Plus Quinn is a Weis product, and Charlie Weis was the offensive coordinator at the height of New England's success with the pro-spread, he took it to Notre Dame and had success with it and Quinn was successful in that system. Orton hails from a whole different system and found success in the Pro-Spread, but can he really beat someone who knows the system better and had more years in it, let alone is a former first round pick with what some consider far more talent?

The other issue is McDaniels...he is a good coach, but he is known for contridicting himself. Cutler's the quarterback, yet he tries to trade him...he looks forward to playing with Cutler and yet he moves to get Quinn to replace him after Cassell is no longer in the picture. Marshall and him are on good terms, but then again...and everyone thinks he wants Marshall gone now and there are signs that the relationship is still strained and as of yet he has no new contract. Look at what he said about Hillis and where that went.

Overall, until the season actually begins...many of us will not have a clue what he is planning or thinking. And with his track record, if I was Orton...I would not feel secure because of what he said, after all...no coach should guarantee a starting position, especially when suddenly he gets the quarterback he actually wanted before you came to town and one that was raised in the system.

According to reports by Lombardi of the NFLN and Klis of the Denver Post, Orton is still the starter via McDaniels own words and Ortons'.
could you please provide a link where mcD or orton have stated orton is the starter next year especially one that was taken since the quinn trade ,since that is your assertion.

The statement alone starts rumors ablaze, because he also said that he wants Orton to return?
why would drafting a qb mean bowlen does,nt want orton to return ?
drafting a qb does not mean "starting a new qb"

. We all know that Orton was in the doghouse a couple times last year,
uhhh....no we don't lots of players get yelled at ,that does'nt mean the coach is done with them or they are "in the dog house" as you say

[B] yet he moves to get Quinn to replace him after Cassell is no longer in the picture.[/B
absolutely false....nothing has ever been said that he tried to get quinn before cutler had demanded a trade and was already gone

Lancane
03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
According to reports by Lombardi of the NFLN and Klis of the Denver Post, Orton is still the starter via McDaniels own words and Ortons'.
could you please provide a link where mcD or orton have stated orton is the starter next year especially one that was taken since the quinn trade ,since that is your assertion.

The statement alone starts rumors ablaze, because he also said that he wants Orton to return?
why would drafting a qb mean bowlen does,nt want orton to return ?
drafting a qb does not mean "starting a new qb"

. We all know that Orton was in the doghouse a couple times last year,
uhhh....no we don't lots of players get yelled at ,that does'nt mean the coach is done with them or they are "in the dog house" as you say

[B] yet he moves to get Quinn to replace him after Cassell is no longer in the picture.[/B
absolutely false....nothing has ever been said that he tried to get quinn before cutler had demanded a trade and was already gone

T.K.O, quit with the highlighting...lol.

First off, I am not saying Bowlen did not want Orton to return, but that he did in fact want to draft a quarterback, with Denver bringing in Quinn that makes in very unlikely to happen. Do you really think they will have four quarterbacks on the roster? Why exactly was Quinn brought in? Brandstater if as good as reports state should be the backup, so why the need to draft one...why waste picks for a backup when we had one? As for the guarantee that Orton will start, that is stupid management...never guarantee someone is the starter, a true coach would say that you have to earn your spot!

Orton was not in his doghouse, really? How many times did you see other starting quarterbacks...give Plummer getting ripped into like that? It is rare, usually a coach and quarterback are on a very similar page, they may look disgusted with one another...big difference.

As to the trade for Quinn last year, there was nearly a three way trade with Cleveland and who the hell was it...eh, don't remember...but according to what was reported Quinn was the focal point of the trade for McDaniels. Believe it or not, that is your choice.

dogfish
03-15-2010, 02:19 PM
of course orton's not fretting-- nobody with a badass neckbeard like that has any reason to be afraid of a guy who couldn't beat out derek anderson under not one but two different coaching staffs. . . kyle knows he'll beat that nancyboi like a rented mule. . .

Tned
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
of course orton's not fretting-- nobody with a badass neckbeard like that has any reason to be afraid of a guy who couldn't beat out derek anderson under not one but two different coaching staffs. . . kyle knows he'll beat that nancyboi like a rented mule. . .

I predict by the time we are a week into the training camp reports, we will be in the middle of a full blown QB controversy, with the reports about how well Quinn is throwing the ball, and how Orton is struggling.

Save this post, boys, it's as good as gold.

claymore
03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
I predict by the time we are a week into the training camp reports, we will be in the middle of a full blown QB controversy, with the reports about how well Quinn is throwing the ball, and how Orton is struggling.

The worlds most boring QB controversy. We should bring in Ryan leaf just to make it interesting.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
The worlds most boring QB controversy. We should bring in Ryan leaf just to make it interesting.

Then it wouldn't be a QB controversy anymore...

it would be Queer Eye For The Straight Guy.

dogfish
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM

maybe we should get derek anderson. . . .

:fear:

T.K.O.
03-15-2010, 04:45 PM
T.K.O, quit with the highlighting...lol.

First off, I am not saying Bowlen did not want Orton to return, but that he did in fact want to draft a quarterback, with Denver bringing in Quinn that makes in very unlikely to happen. Do you really think they will have four quarterbacks on the roster? Why exactly was Quinn brought in? Brandstater if as good as reports state should be the backup, so why the need to draft one...why waste picks for a backup when we had one? As for the guarantee that Orton will start, that is stupid management...never guarantee someone is the starter, a true coach would say that you have to earn your spot!

Orton was not in his doghouse, really? How many times did you see other starting quarterbacks...give Plummer getting ripped into like that? It is rare, usually a coach and quarterback are on a very similar page, they may look disgusted with one another...big difference.

As to the trade for Quinn last year, there was nearly a three way trade with Cleveland and who the hell was it...eh, don't remember...but according to what was reported Quinn was the focal point of the trade for McDaniels. Believe it or not, that is your choice.

we needed a replacement for simms,you don't go into a season with orton,who has had some fairly major injuries in each of the last 2 seasons ,a 2nd year 6th rndr and a rookie.
and i'm still waiting for you to show where mcD said orton was the anointed starter next year ?
and yes orton got yelled at a couple times but both he and coach said there was no problem with that....orton said they are both passionate about the game and that happens.....no biggy.
and i was not questioning that mcD showed interest last year in quinn....i was saying you're timeline of events was not accurate.
everything ive read is that mcD was interested in quinn after the broncos had decided they could not work things out with cutler.
you said mcD tried to trade for quinn after he was unable to get cassell.
as if he tried to trade cutler for quinn....thats not what went down

TXBRONC
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM

I think you're spot on.

This move doesn't surprise me in the least. McDaniels showed interested in this kid last season and Quinn also has experience in this exact same offense.

Ravage!!!
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
He didn't trade for a back-up (although we did need one). He traded for a guy to compete for the starting role. Even Bowlen expressed interest in seeing someone else competing for the starting role. That doesn't exactly show that the FO is enamored by our Orton.

The press is going to be all over this from day one of training camp, and its going to be a topic of discussion after every game played. Bring Quin in.. bring Orton in.

topscribe
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM

That's why I rely heavily on reports from posters on the various Broncos
boards for what really is happening in camp, those who were actually
attending, that is. While we were hearing last year how much better Simms
was doing than Orton, these guys were commenting on Simms' inaccuracy.
That, of course, proved out in real games.

If one or the other, Orton or Quinn, is going to be the better QB, I prefer to
hear it generally from our own posters . . .

-----

Traveler
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
The press is going to be all over this from day one of training camp, and its going to be a topic of discussion after every game played. Bring Quin in.. bring Orton in.

Hell, we don't even have to wait that long. Kizla at the DP is already stirring ther pot.

topscribe
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Hell, we don't even have to wait that long. Kizla at the DP is already stirring ther pot.

Ah yes, Kiz and Woody.

With them, who needs the comics section?

-----

TXBRONC
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Yea, i dont care about the salary money. I just want the best QB to be under center and if it turns out to be Quinn so be it. Its all about winning for me.

And I have to believe that McDaniels sees that way as well. He says he wants to win and that he will play the best players. If that's the case then Quinn should start over Orton if is the better quarterback.

Also regardless of what some people think, McDaniels isn't going to get five or six years to develop a winning football team.

dogfish
03-16-2010, 02:46 PM

kiszla is probably the single dumbest assclown on the entire planet. . . . :lol:

i can't remember the last time he said something that wasn't wrong. . .