PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Everett Spine Injury

Calibroncogrl47
09-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Buffalo's training room was a far busier room than the Bills would have liked on Sunday as they have lost four players for an undetermined amount of time. Kevin Everett, Ko Simpson, Jason Webster and Coy Wire all left Sunday's opener and could not return to action.

The most serious injury was suffered by Everett after he collided with Denver return man Domenik Hixon on a kick return play to start the second half. Everett lowered his head into Hixon's shoulder and made the tackle, but appeared to be out cold on his feet before falling to the turf in a heap where he lied motionless for several minutes.

The training staff did not move him as they waited for him to come around. As the team looked on they soon gathered together for a team prayer on Everett's behalf.

The tight end was eventually loaded onto a backboard and lifted into an ambulance that was driven out onto the field. He did not move any of his extremities as he was taken into the vehicle and transported to a local hospital.

Head coach **** Jauron provided an update after the game.

"Kevin Everett has a cervical spine injury and as we speak he's under further evaluation," said Jauron. "We probably won't know anything more until tomorrow."

Several members of the team admitted that the incident did shake them up a bit even though the game continued.

"It was real hard," said McGee. "I watched the whole thing and he never moved. I've seen it on TV before, but never in real life. It's real sad to see him go off on a stretcher, but we hope he's okay."

"Being a close friend of mine, Kevin Everett, it's kind of tough, but it's the game you just have to be focused," said Parrish who was also Everett's college teammate at the University of Miami. "When something like that happens to a close friend of yours that you talk to every day and you know how much he loves football it kind of bothers you."

Even after the game despite the painful defeat the players' thoughts still turned to Everett's situation.

"When we came in here after the game the first thing we thought of was Kevin," said Lee Evans. "There are some things that are a little bigger than the game and that's certainly one example. Our hearts and prayers go out to him and we'll certainly be checking on him as soon as we can."

The injury situation didn't get any better for the Bills, who were already short-handed going into the game with defensive end Ryan Denney out with a broken foot and Keith Ellison out with a high ankle sprain.

Ko Simpson left the game in the first half with a fractured ankle. He was soon followed by Coy Wire who suffered a sprained MCL in the first half. Then in the second half Jason Webster sustained a broken forearm.

"Those are all pretty substantial injuries there," said Jauron. "It was a very down locker room because of the injuries and because of the loss."

But with 15 games left on the schedule Buffalo has no choice but to move on. Currently they have just five healthy linebackers, four healthy cornerbacks, three healthy safeties and two healthy tight ends after the club released Matt Murphy over the weekend.

The roster will likely have to undergo some change to fortify the tight end position in particular.

"It's very tough any time you get somebody hurt in this league because you're limited the way it is with 45 on game day," said Chris Kelsay. "We'll see what happens. You just wish them the best and hopefully they can get back to help our team."

It is so very sad to see something like that during a game! My prayers go out to him.. and I hope he will be ok:salute:

dogfish
09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
someone posted on the bills site that he's undergoing emergency surgery, but there was no link. . . i hope the guy is okay!

Calibroncogrl47
09-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah I just heard on the pregame that he is in emergency surgery..

Lets all keep him in our thoughts for a succesfull surgery and speedy recovery!

sneakers
09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
That stinks big time...I hope everything goes well in surgery.

East Coast Fan
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear about this and let's send out our prayers to him for a full recovery. I'm just getting over a ruptured L-5 disc myself, and I can't imagine how much more serious his injury is. God Bless him to heal with a full recovery.

Chica_Ang
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
i too, hope he heals up and will be back out there soon! oh, i hate seeing guys get hurt like that. god bless, kevin! :salute:

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Man this is horrible!!! i never want to see anyone get seriously hurt. my thoughts go out to him and his family.

Den21vsBal19
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
someone posted on the bills site that he's undergoing emergency surgery, but there was no link. . . i hope the guy is okay!

Unfortunately, it looks like that's correct

New York Post (http://stats.nypost.com/fb/story.asp?i=20070910001919610000101&ref=hea&tm=)

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday evening, hours after the Buffalo Bills reserve tight end showed no signs of movement after sustaining a severe neck injury in the team's season opener against Denver.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said he was informed by the team's medical staff the player went into surgery at a Buffalo hospital at about 8 p.m. Berchtold said he had no further information, and didn't know whether Everett had shown any signs of movement since he was driven off the field in an ambulance.

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
i didnt realize the injury was that serious...my prayers go out for him. i hope he will be ok, you never like to see someone get hurt like that.

Rick
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I suspected when they took him off the field it may be serious. Normally it is just precautions and the guy at least gives a thumbs up or something but he made absolutely no movement what so ever.

Hope he makes it out ok, and more important than if he can ever play football again I hope he can walk and live a normal life. If he can play foot ball still as well then that is icing on the cake, but walking is most important.

DenBronx
09-10-2007, 12:35 AM
I suspected when they took him off the field it may be serious. Normally it is just precautions and the guy at least gives a thumbs up or something but he made absolutely no movement what so ever.

Hope he makes it out ok, and more important than if he can ever play football again I hope he can walk and live a normal life. If he can play foot ball still as well then that is icing on the cake, but walking is most important.

that would be sad if his career and life is over from being paralized. anyhow i just paid my condolences to the bills fans. for some reason their still trying to smack talk.

shank
09-10-2007, 01:08 AM
that would be sad if his career and life is over from being paralized. anyhow i just paid my condolences to the bills fans. for some reason their still trying to smack talk.

yeah, that's pretty lame over there. they now say that we are supposed to be elite and that they are terrible, when yesterday, they were on the verge of greatness and we were nothing.

then they ignore the well-wishers and continue to smack talk the broncos... pretty bad.

BigBroncLove
09-10-2007, 01:08 AM
We can only hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. I hate to see any player injured, especially one that is so serious. Our prayers are with you Everett

sneakers
09-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Everett's agent appears not to be worried about his football career anymore, but rather if he will walk again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012007

Hawgdriver
09-10-2007, 01:26 AM
My prayers go out to Everett. It sounds like there was damage to the spinal cord, which is awful. The docs say they won't know until tomorrow because even though he has no motor control, they can give a shot of steroids, which will give the nervous cells a lease on life, and try to repair the nerve damage so he isn't as impaired. I hope we have good news tomorrow, and that he makes a full recovery in time.

broncosfanscott
09-10-2007, 02:17 AM
When I saw the replay of that hit, I couldn't help but cringe. Never good to see a player put on the board and carted off the field. I wish him all the best and pray he fully recovers from this.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=77051

Bills TE Everett has surgery after being knocked cold
posted by: Sara Gandy , Web Producer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Buffalo Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday after injuring his spine on a kickoff against the Denver Broncos, and there is concern about whether he will be able to walk again.

"He's had some sparse movement," Everett's agent Brian Overstreet told The Associated Press in a phone interview late Sunday.

"The next couple of days is going to be critical," said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. "Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again."

Overstreet said Everett came out of a "lengthy surgery" Sunday evening and the plan was for his mother, Patricia Dugas, to arrive from Texas on Monday.

Everett fell to the ground and never moved after a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half. Everett was placed on a backboard with his head and body immobilized, and carefully loaded into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The game was delayed for about 15 minutes, and the Bills gathered at the sideline while doctors attended to the player.

At 9:45 p.m., as he was leaving Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, Bills' tight end Ryan Neufeld told Buffalo's WIVB-TV the surgery "went well as far as we can tell and he's recovering right now."

Bills general manager Marv Levy said doctors informed the team that it's too early to determine the severity of the injury and they will know more after monitoring the player overnight.

"Certainly, we feel the injury is serious, but I don't want to speculate, and that's what the doctors told us," Levy told The Associated Press. "They told us to wait to hear from them before making any speculative announcement."

Coach **** Jauron said immediately following the game that the player sustained a cervical spine injury, but wouldn't discuss the severity of the injury.

Everett's injury cast a pall over the Bills following a season-opening 15-14 loss, with several players expressing concern about their teammate.

"It was real hard," cornerback Terrence McGee said. "I watched the whole thing and he never moved. ... It's real sad to see him go off on a stretcher, but we hope he's OK."

"It's real sad," added receiver Roscoe Parrish, who played with Everett at the University of Miami. "When something like that happens to a close friend of yours, and you know how much he loves football, it bothers you."

Denver players expressed concern, including kicker Jason Elam, who kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.

Before taking questions after the game, Elam said: "What we heard is not good, so for our whole team, our prayers go out to him."

Buffalo's third-round draft pick in 2005, Everett missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and spent most of his second season limited to special teams duty.

The Bills liked Everett's 6-foot-4 frame, and were counting on him to play a role in their passing attack this season.

Buffalo also lost three defensive starters to injury.

Free safety Ko Simpson is out indefinitely after breaking his left ankle. Cornerback Jason Webster is out indefinitely after breaking his forearm in the fourth quarter. Linebacker Coy Wire, filling in for injured starter Keith Ellison, sprained his knee in the first quarter.

Simpson was hurt when he had his feet cut out from beneath him by teammate Jason Webster as the two were attempting to tackle Broncos receiver Javon Walker. Simpson fell immediately to the ground and was unable to put any weight on his left foot.

Buffalo's fourth-round pick in the 2006 draft, Simpson started 15 games last season, and was a member of the NFL's youngest safety tandem, playing alongside rookie first-round pick Donte Whitner.

Third-year player Jim Leonhard took over for Simpson.
Wire was examined on the sideline, but made his way to the locker room on his own. Reserve Mario Haggan replaced Wire.
It's unclear when Webster was hurt. The Bills signed the seven-year NFL veteran last spring to take over as starter after losing Nate Clements to San Francisco in free agency.

(Copyright Associated Press, All Rights Reserved)

pnbronco
09-10-2007, 09:56 AM
<SNIP,,,The good news is that Everett survived the emergency surgery to repair his broken and dislocated neck. The bad news is that the doctors had to remove his third and fourth vertebrae before placing him on a respirator in intensive care. And the worst news is that, while he did have some "sparse movement," the risk of life-long paralysis is a very real and extremely disheartening reality. </SNIP>

I just read this on the Bills board. I will keep this young man in my prayers. It's just sad. I went over to the Bills board to offer my prayers. They were very grateful for the gester. You have to register, but I feel like it was worth it.

Retired_Member_001
09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
This is very very sad.

I hope for the best.

Crush05
09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
If your the praying type, please pray for him and his family!!!:pray2:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7207544

Report: Bills' Everett in ICU after surgery
/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

Buffalo Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday after injuring his spine on a kickoff against the Denver Broncos, and there is concern about whether he will be able to walk again.
"He's had some sparse movement," Everett's agent Brian Overstreet told The Associated Press in a phone interview late Sunday.

"The next couple of days is going to be critical," said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. "Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again."

Overstreet said Everett came out of a "lengthy surgery" Sunday evening and the plan was for his mother, Patricia Dugas, to arrive from Texas on Monday.

The Buffalo News is reporting that a source said surgeons had to remove bone chips from Everett's third and fourth vertebrae.

The report says Everett is in intensive care and using a respirator.

Everett fell to the ground and never moved after a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half. Everett was placed on a backboard with his head and body immobilized, and carefully loaded into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The game was delayed for about 15 minutes, and the Bills gathered at the sideline while doctors attended to the player.

At 9:45 p.m., as he was leaving Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, Bills' tight end Ryan Neufeld told Buffalo's WIVB-TV the surgery "went well as far as we can tell and he's recovering right now."

Bills general manager Marv Levy said doctors informed the team that it's too early to determine the severity of the injury and they will know more after monitoring the player overnight.

"Certainly, we feel the injury is serious, but I don't want to speculate, and that's what the doctors told us," Levy told The Associated Press. "They told us to wait to hear from them before making any speculative announcement."

Coach **** Jauron said immediately following the game that the player sustained a cervical spine injury, but wouldn't discuss the severity of the injury.

Everett's injury cast a pall over the Bills following a season-opening 15-14 loss, with several players expressing concern about their teammate.

"It was real hard," cornerback Terrence McGee said. "I watched the whole thing and he never moved. ... It's real sad to see him go off on a stretcher, but we hope he's OK."

"It's real sad," added receiver Roscoe Parrish, who played with Everett at the University of Miami. "When something like that happens to a close friend of yours, and you know how much he loves football, it bothers you."

Denver players expressed concern, including kicker Jason Elam, who kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.

Before taking questions after the game, Elam said: "What we heard is not good, so for our whole team, our prayers go out to him."

Buffalo's third-round draft pick in 2005, Everett missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and spent most of his second season limited to special teams duty.

The Bills liked Everett's 6-foot-4 frame, and were counting on him to play a role in their passing attack this season.

kcvet
09-10-2007, 12:36 PM
what a shame. probably will end his career. I pray he recovers and can walk again.

ThunderGirl
09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
How sad!!! :Cry:

I wish him well and hope we will see him walking again soon!

BTW: Elam is a class act for what he said!:salute:

pnbronco
09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett will be sedated for a day or two as doctors evaluate the extent of a severe spinal injury that could leave him paralyzed.

Everett is in the intensive care unit at Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital after a four-hour operation performed hours after he was hurt in a season-opening loss to Denver, Eric Armstead, a partner of the player's agent Brian Overstreet, told The Associated Press on Monday.
"He'll be sedated for the next 24 to 48 hours and we won't know more until then," Armstead said. "We were told by the doctors that the surgery went well."

Thank goodness the earlier report was wrong. They took out bone chips it's still very serious. I just hope that this way he has a fighting chance. I'm really sorry for the earlier post, this whole thing has made me really sad. The Bills have welcomed all posts of prayers and warm wishes. I really hope the best for this young man.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes, prayers definitely are needed. One of the doctors spoke not long ago, and said that even though there was voluntary movement in Kevin's legs, that does not mean that he definitely will be able to walk.

The doctor also said that there is still a chance of death due to respiratory problems, blood clots, etc.

Not a good situation at this time.

kcvet
09-10-2007, 05:30 PM
blood clots. thats what took the life of former chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas. he was paralyzed here in a car accident. not far from where i live.

Kapaibro
09-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Bills news link (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news_5221.html)

It was eagerly anticipated news when the Bills provided an update on Kevin Everett Monday afternoon, following his game halting spine injury on the second half kickoff of Sunday's loss to Denver. But the update only gave a clearer picture as to the severity of what is still a potentially lethal injury, and the steps that were taken to give him the greatest chance for recovery.

Everett suffered a fracture dislocation between the third and fourth cervical vertebrae. So there was an injury to the cervical spine and cervical spinal cord. But the spinal cord was intact. There was disc material pushing on the cord and bone was applying pressure as well.

"Emergency decompressive surgery was performed Sunday night to prevent pinching of the spinal cord," said team medical director Dr. John Marzo in a Monday afternoon press conference.

The surgery was performed by team orthopedist Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, who specializes in injuries of the spine, after consent was granted by Everett who was awake and alert along with his mother who was reached by phone. The surgery lasted about four hours as Everett had his third and fourth vertebrae fused together.

"Dr. Kevin Gibbons and myself worked first on the front side of the cervical spine to remove the disc, realign the spine and to fixate the spine between the third and fourth vertebrae with a bone graft, with a small cage, and with a plate and four screws," said Cappuccino. "We had the spine in good alignment and it was confirmed on all x-ray studies."

The second half of the surgery involved placing Everett face down.

"A second incision was made on the back of his neck," said Cappuccino. "The spine was decompressed or the pressure was relieved. The spinal cord was completely decompressed and the spine was fixated from the back with four screws and two small rods. At that point in time an intra-operative ultrasound was performed to evaluate the cord, the covering of the cord and the cord itself were completely intact and looked good."

Everett, who spoke to his mother personally before the surgery, said he did not want her to worry and that he loved her and his sisters and that he would get better according to Cappuccino.

Following surgery he was placed in the intensive care unit and was put on a respirator by choice as he was placed in a sedated drug-induced state to protect the integrity of the surgical procedure.

Prior to putting him into a deepened and sedated state he had decreased sensation, but the ability to feel all of his limbs. This test also showed voluntary movement in his legs, though it was being stated by the doctors that it is only a preliminary result and should not be construed as a positive or negative result, nor is it a prognosis. It's being labeled an incomplete spinal cord injury.

The doctors at this time do not know whether the injury will contract or expand from this point forward. An accurate prognosis will likely not be determined for another 72 hours at the earliest.

Dr. Cappuccino cautioned that Everett is not out of a life-threatening situation, though his chances are improved following surgery.

"I want to caution everyone to understand that this was early in the healing phase and this is not a prognostic indicator and this young man suffered a potentially lethal and grave injury," said Cappuccino. "So we are still gravely concerned."

As far as assessing Everett's chances of walking again Cappuccino said the tight end's chances are not good.

"By life I'm an optimist, but as a scientist and a clinician I have to tell you statistically the chances of that occurring are very small," Cappuccino said.

Players trying to cope
With Everett not able to speak to his teammates in his current state the players have been asked to refrain from visiting at this time. For Everett's teammates it's been a trying 24 hours.

"I think it's probably the hardest thing I'll ever have to go through as an individual just watching him go through something like that," said an emotional Brian Moorman. "It's a close team, probably the closest team I've been on since I've been in Buffalo, and when you see that happen it's really tough. I hope it's the last time I ever have to choke back tears on the middle of the playing field."

The players are hoping for the best, but it's evident they're all desperately waiting for some encouraging news. Despite all the details that were provided by the team physicians an official prognosis has yet to take place.

"We definitely know it's pretty serious, but just the extent of that seriousness is what we want to find out," said J.P. Losman. "The final prognosis is what we're looking for. Everyone wants to know. Once we find out we'll be able to show our support in whatever way we choose to do so."

Moving forward
Bills head coach **** Jauron said the mood in meetings and walk through corrections Monday was not what it normally is following a loss. It was considerably more somber.

"It wasn't anything that remotely resembles what's after just a normal football game," Jauron said. "Not immediately afterwards, certainly not today. I don't know how long it will stay that way. It does to a great degree make the game trivial. I think the effort to play the game and the effort to build a team and the feelings of teammates for each other, all those things are critically important and we play to win. But the outcome of a game is really put in perspective once something like this occurs."

At the same time Jauron has faith that his team will be able to get their work done this week as they prepare for a week two matchup with Pittsburgh while keeping Kevin Everett's well being in the back of their minds.

"It will be difficult to some degree and in one sense it will be just what we do," said Jauron. "You do go on and you do move forward without him leaving your thoughts. But they'll prepare, they'll prepare well. They're really a solid group of guys. They like each other, they work hard, they play hard, we've just got to play smarter."

"We're trying not to talk about it too much because you don't want guys to get down," said tight end Robert Royal. "You definitely want guys to continue to stick together because we have some things that we need to fix football-wise to try to go out and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers. But we're never forgetting about Kevin."

Escobar
09-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Im not religious at all, but i'll send a best wish for him :salute:

We are thinking of you

Day1BroncoFan
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
This is very sad. I will be praying for him and his family.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012739

PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and his chances of regaining a full range of body motion are very small, an orthopedic surgeon said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal."

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury remained life-threatening, saying the player is still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is currently under forced sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen. Cappuccino said it will take up to three days to determine the severity of the injury and the recovery process.

AP Photo/Don Heupel

A trainer attends to Kevin Everett after he showed no signs of consciousness following a helmet-to-helmet hit on Denver's Domenik Hixon at the start of the second half.

During the operation, Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. The process included a bone graft and the insertion of a plate and four screws.

Cappuccino said Everett was alert and is aware of the extent of his injuries.

"I was honest with him, and he told me, 'Do everything you can to help me,' " said Cappuccino, who works for the Bills as a consultant, specializing in spinal surgery.

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston. Everett was born in Port Arthur, Texas.

Everett was hurt in Buffalo's season opener against Denver on Sunday when he ducked his head while driving in to tackle Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half opening kickoff. Everett dropped face first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Physics of big hits
Buffalo Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett likely experienced about two-thirds of a ton of compressive force on his spine in a hit Sunday that left him with a serious spinal injury, according to a professor who has studied the physics of football.

Dr. Timothy Gay, professor of physics at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, said kickoffs produce more violent collisions than almost any other play in football because players have more of a chance to get up to full speed.

Gay, who was not at the game but saw video slow-motion replays, said it appears Everett's head was down when he made the tackle. That means the force of the collision was applied to his spine.

"That's why you don't go flying at a guy without your head up," said Gay, who played football at Caltech."The problem is ultimately it's a dangerous sport. You have 250-pound guys running 10 feet per second into each other. You're putting yourself in a dangerous position."

There were physics and physiology at play in Everett's case, said Gay, author of "Football Physics: The Science of the Game." The physics at play mostly involved Newton's 2nd Law of Motion: F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration). When a player undergoes extreme deceleration -- as Everett did when he hit Denver's Domenik Hixon during the second-half opening kickoff -- there will be a big force required to cause that deceleration. If Everett's head was up so his neck was not compressed, then the same force would not have done the same physiological damage.

Gay said more protective head restraints or different equipment likely wouldn't have made a difference in Everett's case because the issue was the angle of his head at the moment of impact.

-- Jena Janovy, ESPN.com

Replays showed the player twitching for a few seconds as he attempted to get up before falling back to the ground. Everett's eyes were open but he showed no further signs of movement during the next 15 minutes as the team's medical staff and emergency personnel placed him on a backboard and, with the player's head and body immobilized, loaded him into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

Bills team doctor John Marzo said Everett was alert from the time he was loaded onto the backboard and throughout the drive to the hospital.

"It's a tough situation to watch because he's somebody's son, brother and friend," punter Brian Moorman said Monday. "It's all you could think about during the game, after it happened, after the game and this morning. And we just want him to get better, we want him to heal."

Quarterback J.P. Losman said it was difficult to concentrate during practice.

"It seems like every couple of seconds that go by it's always popping into your head," Losman said. "Going through a walk-through, we're looking for him, wanting to hear his voice."

The Bills have Tuesday off before returning to practice to prepare to play at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Coach **** Jauron said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called him Sunday evening, offering the league's support.

"We honor ourselves by our work, and we honor Kevin by moving forward and working while never forgetting Kevin and never getting him out of our thoughts and prayers," Jauron said. "We're going to wait and see what the outcome is here and we're really hoping and praying for the best."

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

His injury recalled the one to Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard who was paralyzed below the chest. He injured his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley told the AP. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

The 41-year-old Utley now lives in Washington state and is promoting a bike tour aimed at raising money in an effort to cure paralysis.

"These are big strong men competing at the highest level. You can do everything to prepare yourself -- lift weights and all that," Utley said. "But is it going to happen again? Yes."

Everett's injury was not the only one sustained by the Bills.

Cornerback Jason Webster (broken forearm) and free safety Ko Simpson (broken ankle) had surgery, and Jauron said both could miss the rest of the season. Also, linebacker Coy Wire has a sprained knee and is out indefinitely

topscribe
09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh wow, what a bummer. This really stinks. http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_dissappointed.gif

God be with him and his loved ones . . .

-----

RunYouOver
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
This really isn't looking good :sad:

I wish him the best.

sneakers
09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Another report. Doesn't look good.

Bills Everett likely paralyzed after catastrophic neck injury

Associated Press
Originally published 05:58 p.m., September 10, 2007
Updated 05:58 p.m., September 10, 2007

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. The Buffalo Bills Kevin Everett sustained a catastrophic and life-threatening spinal-cord injury Sunday in a game against the Denver Broncos and his chances of regaining a full range of body motion are very small, an orthopedic surgeon said Monday.

A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely, Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal.

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everetts injury remained life-threatening, saying the player is still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is currently under forced sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen. Cappuccino said it will take up to three days to determine the severity of the injury and the recovery process.

During the operation, Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. Doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate and four screws.

Cappuccino said Everett was alert and is aware of the extent of his injuries.

I was honest with him, and he told me, Do everything you can to help me, said Cappuccino, who works for the Bills as a consultant, specializing in spinal surgery.

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everetts mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston.

Everett was hurt in Buffalos season opener against Denver on Sunday when he ducked his head while driving in to tackle Broncos Domenik Hixon during the second half-opening kickoff. Everett dropped face first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Replays showed the player twitching for a few seconds as he attempted to get up before falling back to the ground. Everetts eyes were open but he showed no further signs of movement during the next 15 minutes as the teams medical staff and emergency personnel placed him on a backboard and, with the players head and body immobilized, loaded him into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

AlWilsonizKING
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Very sad news.........

PEACE!!!

BroncoWave
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Just reported on Sports Center that Everett's doctor said that he made voluntary movements of his arms and legs today and that he thinks he will be able to walk out of the hospital. GREAT news for Everett!

Escobar
09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
what? THATS GREAT!!

Snapping Turtle
09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
WOW! That is FANTASTIC! I am so thrilled to hear that, great news for his friends, family, teammates and fans!

topscribe
09-11-2007, 05:14 PM
That just made my day. :woot:

-----

Skywalker
09-11-2007, 05:15 PM
This is so great!

Watchthemiddle
09-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Say what you want, but thats the power of prayer!!

:pray:

Hawgdriver
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
That's also the power of modern medicine!!! This is great news! I am so happy to hear this!

Lonestar
09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
When I saw him laying there twitching, I was worried about his future. That was not a normal response awake or unconscious.

I would say that the many Prayers were answered last night.

Reidman
09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Awesome news!

:2thumbs:

shank
09-11-2007, 06:24 PM
This is great news. Injuries are terrible, and this one was worse than most. I hope he does walk out of the hospital, and i hope someday he is lucky enough to find his way back onto the football field. (lets start with walking out of the hospital)...

very glad to hear this, it was actually bothering me since sunday.

SmithOverTO
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Excellent news! :cool:

melissAnn
09-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I just saw that on total access- that was a terrible hit to see... I was at the game and you could just tell something was really wrong- scary. I am so happy to hear he is showing signs of improvement

ThunderGirl
09-11-2007, 07:29 PM
http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431

Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.

On Monday, Cappuccino said that Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and was unlikely to walk again.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Cappuccino said Monday. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

On Monday, Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

A trainer attends to Kevin Everett after he showed no signs of consciousness following a helmet-to-helmet hit on Denver's Domenik Hixon at the start of the second half.

Everett is in the intensive care unit of Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, where he is under sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen.

Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. In reconstructing his spine, doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate, held in by four screws, and also inserted two small rods, held in place by another four screws.

Doctors, however, weren't able to repair all the damage.

Bills punter Brian Moorman immediately feared the worst when Everett showed no signs of movement as he was placed on a backboard and, with his head and body immobilized, carefully loaded into an ambulance.

"It brought tears to my eyes," Moorman said after practice. He said the sight of Everett's motionless body brought back memories of Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard, who was paralyzed below the chest after injuring his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

Utley, Moorman recalled, at least was able to give what's become a famous "thumbs up" sign as he was taken off the field. Everett didn't.

"That's what I was waiting for, and that's what everybody else was waiting for," Moorman said. "And to have to walk back to the sideline and not see that made for a tough time."

Utley, who lives in Washington state, was saddened to see replays of Everett's collision.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley said. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston. She and other family members arrived in Buffalo on Monday. Everett was born in Port Arthur, Texas, and played high school football there.

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

After reading this posted in the Live News Feed, I just wanted to comment on how glad I am that things are looking up!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks for posting ThunderGirl :salute: This definitely is great news!!!

ThunderGirl
09-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for posting ThunderGirl :salute: This definitely is great news!!!

Your welcome. I know how many people on here were concerned. My day just got a little brighter!!

RunYouOver
09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
That is GREAT news.

Skinny
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I have been reading up on alot about Kevin and amazed at how fast and well he has been moving along. It truly is a miracle in the works and hopefully he continues to progress.

He'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as well as his family and freinds.

Smoothe
09-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Just wanted to post a quick "Thank You" to the Broncos fans and organization. I am very impressed with your class and well-wishes over at the Bills boards.

Thanks for your prayers, they're making a difference.

Chica_Ang
09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Just wanted to post a quick "Thank You" to the Broncos fans and organization. I am very impressed with your class and well-wishes over at the Bills boards.

Thanks for your prayers, they're making a difference.

Thank you for your post smoothe! ...and we couldn't be happier for Kevin and all you bill fans!

What great news! I'm with topscribe---this made my day!!!:2thumbs:

omac
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks a lot for the article, ThunderGirl, that is very hopeful news indeed. Here's hoping for a full recovery. :)

Retired_Member_001
09-12-2007, 03:34 AM
This is GREAT news for the guy.

I hope he can continue to make progress so he can enjoy the rest of his life (football or no football).

:first: to Kevin Everett.

sneakers
09-12-2007, 03:36 AM
That's great to hear!

:D

broncos9697
09-12-2007, 08:21 AM
no!!! he might not walk again he will walk again...
I have preyed him and it paid off...
I love the game of football but I hate to see things like this happen even against my beloved broncos..I got very worried he was getting carted off the field he gave no thumbs up or anything he was stiff.......to his mom and brother hang in there I will keep the preyers up and he will walk again.....GOD BLESS him and his family..

broncosfanscott
09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I heard news that he has felt movement in his arms and legs, so hopefully that means that he will be able to walk out of the hospital.

Den21vsBal19
09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Fantastic news, hope he continues his fine recovery