PDA

View Full Version : Kuper getting shot at RT

SmilinAssasSin27
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Broncos notes: Kuper gets shot at Right tackle, looking at kickers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Versatile lineman.

Last season, second-year offensive lineman Chris Kuper started the Broncos' final 11 games at left guard in place of injured Ben Hamilton. With Hamilton fully recovered from his concussion injury, Kuper will get a chance this offseason to compete with Colorado State product Erik Pears at right tackle.

Ryan Harris, the Broncos' third-round pick in the 2007 draft, is expected to replace the retired Matt Lepsis at left tackle. There is also the possibility the Broncos will use their No. 12 overall draft pick on an offensive tackle.

Footnotes.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan arrived at the owners meetings appearing fit, tanned and relaxed. He won't speak publicly until the AFC coaches breakfast Tuesday. . . . The first kicker selected in last year's draft was Justin Medlock, who was cut by Kansas City after missing a 30-yard field goal on the first drive of the season. Medlock is now in St. Louis, stuck behind the league's highest-paid kicker in Josh Brown. He has received permission to seek a trade. The Broncos are interested, but not at the expense of a draft pick. . . . The Broncos also are considering bringing in veteran free agents John Carney and Paul Edinger to compete with Matt Prater, who remains the top candidate to replace Jason Elam.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8751817

dogfish
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
i'm kinda torn on this. . . i really like kupes at OLG, but if he can play outside, great-- he's certainly night and day tougher and more talented than eric pears! IF hamilton is actually healthy and ready to play, i like him and kuper being on the field a lot better than only one of them and pears. . .

anyone else wonder a little bit if this may not be some half-assed attempt to cover a potential intention to spend a high pick on an OT? maybe i'm just reading more into it than need be, but i'm always suspicious of the ridiculous lengths to which shenanigans goes to conceal his draft day plans. . .

GEM
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
i'm kinda torn on this. . . i really like kupes at OLG, but if he can play outside, great-- he's certainly night and day tougher and more talented than eric pears! IF hamilton is actually healthy and ready to play, i like him and kuper being on the field a lot better than only one of them and pears. . .

anyone else wonder a little bit if this may not be some half-assed attempt to cover a potential intention to spend a high pick on an OT? maybe i'm just reading more into it than need be, but i'm always suspicious of the ridiculous lengths to which shenanigans goes to conceal his draft day plans. . .

Dog, we're trained as Bronco fans to ALWAYS read deeply into everything....cause Shanny is a sly devil!

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I think we all seen this coming. Pears and Harris will battle for LT and Kuper will pretty much win the RT job on his own. Holland and Hamilton will start at guard and Nalen will of course be the starting center. Alexander and Wiegmann will be back ups and I'm sure we will add another tackle and a center to the mix via the draft.

TXBRONC
03-31-2008, 06:13 PM

I'm wondering if maybe this a precursor to picking an offensive tackle.

broncohead
03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Hopefully he can man the RT position so we don't have to move him back to LG when Hamilton is gone. I have bouncing players around.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Hopefully he can man the RT position so we don't have to move him back to LG when Hamilton is gone. I have bouncing players around.

that is why we have Weigmann and Alexander... two guys who can play multiple positions. Weigmann will be the back up center and guard and Alexander can play RT and guard. The winner between Pears and Harris at LT will be the back up tackle.

G_Money
03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
I actually like Kuper at tackle better than guard if he can pull it off. We're gonna see I guess.

I might lose my lunch though if we don't add at least two OL in this draft, and preferrably one of them being a 1st day OT.

~G

TXBRONC
03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
that is why we have Weigmann and Alexander... two guys who can play multiple positions. Weigmann will be the back up center and guard and Alexander can play RT and guard. The winner between Pears and Harris at LT will be the back up tackle.

If we actually do draft a offensive tackle in this year's draft I think that could mean that Pears or Alexander or both will be gone.

Drill-N-Fill
03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Shanny is taking care of all his needs, so we can trade into the top 5 and get Dorsey (is that reading into the article enough?) :elefant:

TXBRONC
03-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Shanny is taking care of all his needs, so we can trade into the top 5 and get Dorsey (is that reading into the article enough?) :elefant:

It seems to be a rather conservative reading. :D

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Dog, we're trained as Bronco fans to ALWAYS read deeply into everything....cause Shanny is a sly devil!

With the exception of Cutler not sure he needed to be..

His drafting prowess hopefully is not being copied by anyone else.. If it is they better also have a lifetime contract..

honz
03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I think we all seen this coming. Pears and Harris will battle for LT and Kuper will pretty much win the RT job on his own. Holland and Hamilton will start at guard and Nalen will of course be the starting center. Alexander and Wiegmann will be back ups and I'm sure we will add another tackle and a center to the mix via the draft.
Pears at LT???:eek: Dear god, no. I don't trust Pears one bit to watch Cutler's back...I hope Harris is up for the challenge and is as good as the Broncos say he is. Whatever happens, the broncos need to draft AT LEAST one high quality OL, preferably one on the first day, IMO. Our biggest needs by far are OL and DT.

Simple Jaded
03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm wondering if maybe this a precursor to picking an offensive tackle.

That's what I'm hoping for......I'm keepin the dream alive (Until Shanahan wipes his ass with it)......

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Pears at LT???:eek: Dear god, no. I don't trust Pears one bit to watch Cutler's back...I hope Harris is up for the challenge and is as good as the Broncos say he is. Whatever happens, the broncos need to draft AT LEAST one high quality OL, preferably one on the first day, IMO. Our biggest needs by far are OL and DT.

HE watched his back in his rookie year, when Lepsis went down..

Pears is a natural OLT.. Where he played most of his career save last year..

However I do not disagree with drafting a Stud OLT. It would be nice having Quality instead of hand me downs on the OLINE for a change.. Just maybe we could get something done in the redzone with the running game.

lex
03-31-2008, 10:45 PM

Or maybe Branden Albert. I wouldnt just assume that they are banking on Hamilton being what he was, especially after last year with Lepsis.

TXBRONC
03-31-2008, 10:45 PM
HE watched his back in his rookie year, when Lepsis went down..

However I do not disagree with drafting a Stud OLT. It would be nice having Quality instead of hand me downs on the OLINE for a change.. Just maybe we could get something done in the redzone with the running game.

Pears had a tight end flanking him much of the time when he played left tackle.

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Pears had a tight end flanking him much of the time when he played left tackle.

So did lepsis and this time the TE was a better blocker..

Do you think that whoever is starting this year will not have the TE security blanket around also?

TXBRONC
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM

Do you think that whoever is starting this year will not have the TE security blanket around also?

No Lepsis didn't have tight end to his left nearly as much as Pears did the year.

What I think is if our starting left tackle is competent he wont have tight end flanking as much as Pears did.

lex

I think we should consider the fact that Pears and Lepsis were both undrafted and that we can maybe do better by taking someone 4-6. We get a lot out of these guys but they have limitations. Theres a reason they went undrafted (yeah, I know Lepsis was a TE, but he was still a project).

honz

Further proof that we need a stud OT to watch Jay's back. It would open the playbook up a little bit.

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I think we should consider the fact that Pears and Lepsis were both undrafted and that we can maybe do better by taking someone 4-6. We get a lot out of these guys but they have limitations. Theres a reason they went undrafted (yeah, I know Lepsis was a TE, but he was still a project).

Precisely if you draft quality the odds are they will not need a baby sitter to do the job..

But mikey is a miracle worker with skut OLINE guys that no one wants.. time for that to change time to gt quality for a change and be able to score almost at will inside the Red zone specifically inside the 5. Which has been few and far between since TD and Zimmerman retired..

Lets see ZIM is HOF when was he drafted.? Is suspect not in the 4 round..

lex
03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Precisely if you draft quality the odds are they will not need a baby sitter to do the job..

But mikey is a miracle worker with skut OLINE guys that no one wants.. time for that to change time to gt quality for a change and be able to score almost at will inside the Red zone specifically inside the 5. Which has been few and far between since TD and Zimmerman retired..

Lets see ZIM is HOF when was he drafted.? Is suspect not in the 4 round..

He was drafted in the 2nd. A rolls royce would be nice but Im just ready to get rid of the pinto.

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Further proof that we need a stud OT to watch Jay's back. It would open the playbook up a little bit.

I'm an advocate of drafting quality have been for years.. It is just mikey is not.. thinks he can get castoffs and make it work.. Those years are over..

We should have had more passing yards last year but we did not because before most of the year Graham was to busy watching Lepsis backside, to get out into the pass patterns.. Jay was to busy running for his life.. This OLINE was not designed for Pass protection it was designed to ZBS.. Run the ball and the primary pass from roll outs..

Now we are asking them to drop back pass block DL types that out weigh them by 10-40 pounds who are by their very nature quicker than our guys..

When they block as a group they are pretty good but to have that they have to know what the guy next to him is going to do.. Since Lepsis went down in 2006 we have not had that..

dogfish
03-31-2008, 11:35 PM

this is a statement i've heard a lot on these boards, and i just don't agree with it. . . if people think that he's a natural left tackle because that's the position he played in college, then most of the tackles in the league are natural left tackles-- a large portion of the tackles who get drafted played the left side in college because they were the best OT on their team, which was the case with pears. . . but playing the left side in the pros is altogether a different animal, and many guys who were successful there in college can't handle it at the next level, and have to switch to the right side. . .

by skillset, i don't see pears as a natural LT at all-- he just doesn't have the quickness and footwork to handle NFL speed off the edge, and he's not a natural knee bender. . . he's a big stiff who lets guys get under his pads and eat him up. . . unfortunately, he really doesn't play with the power you want from a guy his size, so he's not a great fit on the right side either. . . bottom line, pears has one natural position in the NFL. . . BACKUP!!

people say he was better on the left in '06, but IMO he just had a few solid games before opposing teams had any film of him-- once they did he got taken to school, just like he'll continue to do as long as we keep trying to pass him off as a starting NFL tackle. . .

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 11:38 PM
this is a statement i've heard a lot on these boards, and i just don't agree with it. . . if people think that he's a natural left tackle because that's the position he played in college, then most of the tackles in the league are natural left tackles-- a large portion of the tackles who get drafted played the left side in college because they were the best OT on their team, which was the case with pears. . . but playing the left side in the pros is altogether a different animal, and many guys who were successful there in college can't handle it at the next level, and have to switch to the right side. . .

by skillset, i don't see pears as a natural LT at all-- he just doesn't have the quickness and footwork to handle NFL speed off the edge, and he's not a natural knee bender. . . he's a big stiff who lets guys get under his pads and eat him up. . . unfortunately, he really doesn't play with the power you want from a guy his size, so he's not a great fit on the right side either. . . bottom line, pears has one natural position in the NFL. . . BACKUP!!

people say he was better on the left in '06, but IMO he just had a few solid games before opposing teams had any film of him-- once they did he got taken to school, just like he'll continue to do as long as we keep trying to pass him off as a starting NFL tackle. . .

I'm not advocating him as Our starter I was merely stating a fact..

TXBRONC
04-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Does Tony Mandarich ring a bell? He was road grater at Michigan State but when he got the pros they found that he had poor footwork.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
...and was on roids.

...and wanted the lights of hollywood more so than an NFL career.

TXBRONC
04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
...and was on roids.

...and wanted the lights of hollywood more so than an NFL career.

More than likely he was, but if I'm not mistaken he was never tested so I don't think we know for sure. At least I've never heard that Tony had tested positive or even admitted to taking steroids.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I had heard that he admitted. He tried a comeback and actually was solid for a short while after he got that whole wanting to box Mike Tyson thing out of his system.

dogfish
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
pretty much the poster boy for high pick busts until the chargers graced the world with ryan leaf. . .

:laugh:

TXBRONC
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I had heard that he admitted. He tried a comeback and actually was solid for a short while after he got that whole wanting to box Mike Tyson thing out of his system.

I remember he started at offensive guard for the Colts for awhile.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
yep...and he was respectable. But nothing more.

Retired_Member_001
04-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Excellent post, well said.

Typically coaches will put their best Offensive Tackle on the left side to protect the Quarterbacks blindside. Just because he played left tackle in College, it doesn't mean he is a natural left tackle. Damn that must have been one bad offensive line if Pears was the left tackle

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Typically coaches will put their best Offensive Tackle on the left side to protect the Quarterbacks blindside. Just because he played left tackle in College, it doesn't mean he is a natural left tackle. Damn that must have been one bad offensive line if Pears was the left tackle

He may have been good in college, because he didn't go up against elite talent.

Lonestar
04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

I thought he played at Colorado and he was brought in because he was a "local" boy for lack of a better term..

I have not followed the BUffs for a long time.. So could not tell you for sure..

dogfish
04-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I thought he played at Colorado and he was brought in because he was a "local" boy for lack of a better term..

I have not followed the BUffs for a long time.. So could not tell you for sure..

he's from colorado state, not CU. . . .

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

You're close, he played at CSU.

topscribe
04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

I'm kind of with you with mixed emotions. Kuper shows so much promise at
OLG that I hate to see him moved. Moreover, I really expected him to actually
beat out Hamilton at the position.

However, the best linemen probably should be at tackle if they can play out
there. That is where the best pass rushers generally come from, where the
most stress is put on the OL. So if he can upgrade that position, then
Hamilton has proven he is at least adequate at guard.

-----

Lonestar
04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
he's from Colorado state, not CU. . . .

Thanks I thought it had Colorado in it.. But have they not beat the snot out of the buffs for the past 4-5 years?

topscribe
04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
You're close, he played at CSU.

I am a rabid CSU fan, and, believe me, that is nowhere near close. :mad2:

:D

-----

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I am a rabid CSU fan, and, believe me, that is nowhere near close. :mad2:

:D

-----

Close in the board sense of the word. :D He played at CSU one of the state's major universities.

Lonestar
04-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Close in the board sense of the word. :D He played at CSU one of the state's major universities.

:listen: Spoken like a true flatlander.. :D :laugh:

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 05:58 PM
:listen: Spoken like a true flatlander.. :D :laugh:

JR I grew up Wyoming I'm not a flatlander. :beer:

topscribe
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Depends. Pretty flat in the SE corner. :D

-----

Lonestar
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM

Well that explains it!! :cool:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
You know, I'm still inclined to believe that Denver would have Kuper lined up at RT rather than left tackle. Harris has to earn the LT job, but that'd be a waste of a third rounder if he wasn't able to win the starting job. If it were me, I'd still draft a tackle early; (Brandon Albert might be the best option because of LT/RT/OG flexibility) and have Harris and Kuper penciled in as starters right away. However, with Albert's skill set I'd have a hard time believing he couldn't supplant either of them for a starting position.

Denver has some good depth on the interior with Kuper, Hamilton (if healthy), Wiegmann, Nalen and Holland. It's just Pears/Harris at tackle that are concerning. At any case, I think Kuper flipping outside isn't a bad idea; but he was considered a guard at the next level for a variety of reasons. I didn't have a problem with us getting interior help; and I certainly am pleased with Tom and Ben coming back; but we can't just side step this tackle issue by assuming that Kuper is going to be a quality RT or LT.

I'd be more fine with him at RT than I would left.

As much as I'd like a skill positioned player over an offensive tackle from a production standpoint, it's imperative that we get a "franchise" type tackle.

I don't know if Chris Williams is that guy, I don't know if Jeff Otah is that guy -- heck; who knows if Branden Albert is?

All I have to say is that there are a dozen teams looking for their future franchise tackle; and Denver has the position on about all but two of them. As much as it's not a sexy pick; if Denver doesn't find a way to improve the tackle position at either #12 or #42; that just tells me all I need to know about where this franchise is headed.

You don't pass up drafting a tackle in a draft where there are around 5-7 first round caliber talents; with some decent "B" rate guys behind them as well.

A dream scenario would be able to trade down a bit; hope that one of the aforementioned are there -- take 'em, and then fill out some other positions.

We have a nice set up of picks on Day 2; and we should be able to get some nice special teams players, and good depth selections (perhaps a surprise starter) but it's very important that #12 and #42 are used right. I think in order to have a "successful" Day One; we have to use one of them on a tackle. It just has to happen.

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Depends. Pretty flat in the SE corner. :D

-----

I grew up in the SW corner.

BOSSHOGG30
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
You know, I'm still inclined to believe that Denver would have Kuper lined up at RT rather than left tackle. Harris has to earn the LT job, but that'd be a waste of a third rounder if he wasn't able to win the starting job. If it were me, I'd still draft a tackle early; (Brandon Albert might be the best option because of LT/RT/OG flexibility) and have Harris and Kuper penciled in as starters right away. However, with Albert's skill set I'd have a hard time believing he couldn't supplant either of them for a starting position.

Denver has some good depth on the interior with Kuper, Hamilton (if healthy), Wiegmann, Nalen and Holland. It's just Pears/Harris at tackle that are concerning. At any case, I think Kuper flipping outside isn't a bad idea; but he was considered a guard at the next level for a variety of reasons. I didn't have a problem with us getting interior help; and I certainly am pleased with Tom and Ben coming back; but we can't just side step this tackle issue by assuming that Kuper is going to be a quality RT or LT.

I'd be more fine with him at RT than I would left.

As much as I'd like a skill positioned player over an offensive tackle from a production standpoint, it's imperative that we get a "franchise" type tackle.

I don't know if Chris Williams is that guy, I don't know if Jeff Otah is that guy -- heck; who knows if Branden Albert is?

All I have to say is that there are a dozen teams looking for their future franchise tackle; and Denver has the position on about all but two of them. As much as it's not a sexy pick; if Denver doesn't find a way to improve the tackle position at either #12 or #42; that just tells me all I need to know about where this franchise is headed.

You don't pass up drafting a tackle in a draft where there are around 5-7 first round caliber talents; with some decent "B" rate guys behind them as well.

A dream scenario would be able to trade down a bit; hope that one of the aforementioned are there -- take 'em, and then fill out some other positions.

We have a nice set up of picks on Day 2; and we should be able to get some nice special teams players, and good depth selections (perhaps a surprise starter) but it's very important that #12 and #42 are used right. I think in order to have a "successful" Day One; we have to use one of them on a tackle. It just has to happen.

I'm feelin ya... This would be the smart thing to do. I too like a few later round O-linemen like Zuttah, Sullivan, Hill, Stamper, Kraus, Lichtensteiger, Velasco, and Cavender.

nevcraw
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks I thought it had Colorado in it.. But have they not beat the snot out of the buffs for the past 4-5 years?

If you consider CSU's 2-4 record since 02 against CU beating "the snot" out of them then you are correct. Otherwise it looks like it has been and will continue to be the other way around..

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm feelin ya... This would be the smart thing to do. I too like a few later round O-linemen like Zuttah, Sullivan, Hill, Stamper, Kraus, Lichtensteiger, Velasco, and Cavender.

I think Zuttah is a possible early Day 2 selection in the third round; but I'd love to get him in the fourth. I agree with you though; get a tackle -- and get some other versatile players. I mean; crap we have nine picks already. At least two can go towards youth on the offensive line. :beer:

shank
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
dream i agree with you 100%

90% of the time.

i would be ok if we don't take a day 1 OT, it would inspire me with confidence in the team's confidence in ryan harris. i agree that it will be a shame if he can't be expected to compete or even start outright in our system, because he will have been a waste of a 3rd round pick...

i set the bare minimum at zuttah, and if that's what we get, i will expect harris to impress. if we take a T on day one, then i'm as happy as a squirell in a nut factory because it means that the faith in harris was not there, and the staff took the best step towards correcting the problem.

how many more days til we can stop guessing? so eager!

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't be "disappointed" if we didn't take a tackle earlier either, I'd just be a little well, "What the heck?" If they don't take one early, it's one of two things. Denver won't ever put emphasis on drafting offensive lineman early considering they believe they can find mid-level talent to succeed in their system and two; that they're confident in who they have.

I love Harris; and I was hoping Harris would be one of our selections back in November of 2006 (I was praying for Harris and Crowder the whole time!) and I hope he can be the guy; but I think we still have to take the adequate measures to ensure we have someone else if he's not. I don't think Kuper or Pears should be long term OT guys here; but that's JMHO.

A little more than three weeks away. My two weeks of Hell are pretty much over (somewhat) so now I'll have more time to get excited about all this stuff. It's gonna be a real treat this year for sure.

Simple Jaded
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
If Harris can move over and start at RT for a decade, he's not a wasted 3rd round pick.

Hell, with picks like Watts/Pierce/Clarett/Toviessi (the list goes on), if Harris can at least provide depth at both tackles, it's not a wasted 3rd round pick.

This is the Denver Broncos we're talking about......

shank
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
If Harris can move over and start at RT for a decade, he's not a wasted 3rd round pick.

Hell, with picks like Watts/Pierce/Clarett/Toviessi (the list goes on), if Harris can at least provide depth at both tackles, it's not a wasted 3rd round pick.

i might be wrong, but i don't see that happening. harris is already somewhat of a finess LT, and RT are usually more powerful by nature. i don't know if harris can make the transition, and has only one true position at LT.

someone who knows more about the differences between the 2 positions and more about harris could proabably say with more confidence if that's possible.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM

I just have a hard time believing Harris would ever be a good right tackle. He's a finesse pass blocking LT and was drafted as one. Sure, he provides tackle depth at both spots; but he's not the kind of guy you want on the right side of the line, IMHO. He's not a road-grading blocker. He's probably an upgrade over Pears though.

I just would love to see Harris start this year. He and Crowder are my little baby boys.

dogfish
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM

click the link at the bottom of my sig. . . . ;)

right now it's 22 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes and 21 seconds , but of course it'll be less seconds by the time i've posted this. . . .

:lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
22 Days, Omg. Yes. It's gonna be amazing. I'll be 21 then. . . and if the Broncos pick someone like Kentwan Balmer, I can just walk to the bar down the block and drink away the selection legally. WOO.

broncohead
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
If we draft an OT in day one it could also mean that the confidence in Pears isn't there.

shank
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
22 Days, Omg. Yes. It's gonna be amazing. I'll be 21 then. . . and if the Broncos pick someone like Kentwan Balmer, I can just walk to the bar down the block and drink away the selection legally. WOO.

i have til august :shocked:

it'll be cool to have my first football season of age!:beer:

nevcraw
04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Ahhh to be that young again... Happy Birthdays in advance guys!

Simple Jaded
04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
i might be wrong, but i don't see that happening. harris is already somewhat of a finess LT, and RT are usually more powerful by nature. i don't know if harris can make the transition, and has only one true position at LT.

someone who knows more about the differences between the 2 positions and more about harris could proabably say with more confidence if that's possible.

I just have a hard time believing Harris would ever be a good right tackle. He's a finesse pass blocking LT and was drafted as one. Sure, he provides tackle depth at both spots; but he's not the kind of guy you want on the right side of the line, IMHO. He's not a road-grading blocker. He's probably an upgrade over Pears though.

I just would love to see Harris start this year. He and Crowder are my little baby boys.

In any other system I'd totally agree with you guys, but the Broncos don't seem to put much value (If any) in a prototypical offensive lineman......Holland is the only lineman on the team that I'd consider a road-grader.

Harris is no doubt a poor fit for RT on any other team (Almost any other team), but not the Broncos, imo.

But, then again, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I'd hate to see the Broncos pass up a better LT prospect because they wouldn't know what to do with Harris......

TXBRONC
04-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Our right tackle doesn't have to be powerful because we run a zone blocking scheme. I think regardless of what side Harris would be on he has be a solid run blocker or wont play.

Lonestar
04-03-2008, 10:10 PM
dream i agree with you 100%

90% of the time.

i would be ok if we don't take a day 1 OT, it would inspire me with confidence in the team's confidence in ryan harris. i agree that it will be a shame if he can't be expected to compete or even start outright in our system, because he will have been a waste of a 3rd round pick...

i set the bare minimum at zuttah, and if that's what we get, i will expect harris to impress. if we take a T on day one, then i'm as happy as a squirell in a nut factory because it means that the faith in harris was not there, and the staff took the best step towards correcting the problem.

I'd rather take a stud on day one and let Harris fight it out with him we get the best of both worlds that way.. we nail down a great OLINE for the next 4-15 years..

Then we can fix the other side or the LOS with the other day one pick..

Just imagine fixing the biggest two issues on day one.. Everything else gets easier for everyone else if the LOS is fixed.. Pro bowl CB and Will LB are let loose to play ball instead of babysitting the lousy DL we have had for almost decade..