PDA

View Full Version : First Selection in the 2008 Draft: Linebacker?

topscribe
09-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Has anybody noticed Gold's play . . . or lack of it? He tackles like he has no
feeling in his arms. I have made excuses for him his entire career, but I've had
it. All we can do now is to hope he doesn't blow any games for us and look to
see who the best linebackers are available in the draft, IMO.

Our defense as a whole :2thumbs:

Gold :2thumbsdown:

-----

Slick
09-09-2007, 06:02 PM
feeling in his arms. I have made excuses for him his entire career, but I've had

-----

I agree Top. Unless he drastically improves I completely agree.
I was cussin Ian big time today.

Safety and DT should also be a priority.

BroncoWave
09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I think we need a DT in the draft myself.

lex
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, something needs to be done. What we saw today isnt going to cut it and it most likely will hurt most when we play someone like San Diego. As a matter of fact, we may need to bench him this year. If that happens, well need to revisit this question later.

topscribe
09-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, something needs to be done. What we saw today isnt going to cut it and it most likely will hurt most when we play someone like San Diego. As a matter of fact, we may need to bench him this year. If that happens, well need to revisit this question later.
Well, I don't know how we're going to do that.

There's not much behind him, is there?

-----

squints
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I think it will be a S, OT, or OLB. The player at anyone of those spots.

lex
09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, I don't know how we're going to do that.

There's not much behind him, is there?

-----

Do we still have Lewis?

topscribe
09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Do we still have Lewis?
Might make a decent SAM, but I think there would be a dramatic dropoff in speed at WILL.

-----

Lorcust
09-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Might make a decent SAM, but I think there would be a dramatic dropoff in speed at WILL.

-----

Does speed matter if the guy can't make the tackle?

topscribe
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Does speed matter if the guy can't make the tackle?
touché !!

-----

Joel
09-09-2007, 06:36 PM
and that's not something many of our LBs can say; D.J. is about the only one, and he's taken. I'd actually go after a potential starting MLB and start him at SLB if he can beat Webster out for the job; I wouldn't mind having Gold as our WLB, an experienced D.J. in the middle and the better of Webster or a #1 pick at SLB/backup MLB. Green's been Golds backup for a few years now, and I like Cargille, so I think the idea of converting the safety to WLB is a good one, but we need help at MLB. The thing about a good MLB prospect though is this: If D.J. DOES have a great future as our starting MLB, drafting a guy who can also play there means he has the skills to play Will or Sam at least as well. If you don't believe it, look at D.J.s history. Will may not be big enough to play Mike, and Sam may not be fast or smart enough, but Mike can do either of the other two in his sleep.

That and DT would be my top two concerns, because I'm still not happy with our run D, and it ain't because of Ian Gold. Ian Gold didn't let a rookie run 20+ yards for a TD that could've won the game on 3rd and 11; the whole team did. At this point I'm hoping Adams has a good year, stays healthy, and we can resign him for another season or two, because the two hulking first round picks (one a #! overall pick) who were supposed to insure Adams wouldn't have to play all game are gone. But when we face Gonzales, Gates and Clark later this year we'll all be very glad we have Ian Gold....

Skinny
09-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Bad games happen.

This is not routine of Gold so why the bashing?? :confused:

If missing tackles was an indication whether you had a job or not . . . Al Wilson woulda been gone along time ago.

How many times have you seen Al try to blow someone up yet watch them bounce off, change direction and pick up a first down??

I lost count (both hands and feet) after the 2004 season . . .

P.S. Good to see ya Mo! :beer:

BroncoAV06
09-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Love it! Another 1 game is the whole season thread! :marchmellow:

Slick
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Bad games happen.

If missing tackles was an indication whether you had a job or not . . . Al Wilson woulda been gone along time ago.

How many times have you seen Al try to blow someone up yet watch them bounce off, change direction and pick up a first down??

He is the highest paid linebacker on the team, by far. He played like crap, he deserves the criticism. Heck, he didn't get a tackle until 9 minutes left in the game.

Edit: his only tackle

dogfish
09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
i said in my TC preview thread back on BM that i hoped someone could mount a challenge to gold. . . he's been a good 'backer for us, but to me he looks like he's in decline, and has looked that way since the middle of last year-- i'd like to see him prove me wrong, but it's an area of concern for me. . . the way he let that WR slip his tackle was just embarrassing!

on a positive note, our other LBs played pretty well (i want to watch the game a second time before saying too much, but that was my initial impression). . . dj looked better than i expected-- hopefully he's starting to settle in-- and webster was very active, making some hard hits and generally being around the ball. . .

lex
09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Love it! Another 1 game is the whole season thread! :marchmellow:

Golds tackling was also questioned in the Cleveland pre season game.

Joel
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Bad games happen.

During the Bears game I saw Shawne Merriman whiff a tackle on Cedric Benson when he charged him to take him down in the backfield, after which Benson took off for another 10+ and a first down. No word yet on whether the Chargers are going to cut him....

Rick
09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
I think when your SLB outplays your WLB there is an issue...

Webster 8 TT, 5 Solo
Gold 1 TT, 1 Solo

Webster is on the side covered by the tight end, and isn't on the field as much as Gold...so either Webster is just that damn good or Gold was just that crappy.

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 07:51 PM

-----
I think it is a given we draft a linebacker in next years draft..so far it looks like we go with a weaksside guy. i dont know how much i want to see it in the first round. i want to see denver finnish up fixing the DL with a Massive Tackle.

A offensive tackle would be a need as well. We need a guy that can come in and play tackle and most likely take over for lepsis when he retires.

MLB or WLB or SLB

As of right now i approve of websters play. hes fairly cheap and is a serviceable backer. i think there other positions which we need to go after then SLB

MLB so far DJ has looked decent. i think we can get great production if we can get more DLineman to keep Olineman off our backers.

WLB, while gold is not all that i think he is serviceable. maybe we can get briggs? if we get a briggs type i think it would be a late selection we get more depth at.

Needs in my book right now are DL, OL, S, LB,

lex
09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I think it is a given we draft a linebacker in next years draft..so far it looks like we go with a weaksside guy. i dont know how much i want to see it in the first round. i want to see denver finnish up fixing the DL with a Massive Tackle.

A offensive tackle would be a need as well. We need a guy that can come in and play tackle and most likely take over for lepsis when he retires.

MLB or WLB or SLB

As of right now i approve of websters play. hes fairly cheap and is a serviceable backer. i think there other positions which we need to go after then SLB

MLB so far DJ has looked decent. i think we can get great production if we can get more DLineman to keep Olineman off our backers.

WLB, while gold is not all that i think he is serviceable. maybe we can get briggs? if we get a briggs type i think it would be a late selection we get more depth at.

I wouldnt be surprised if Kuper ends up playing tackle.

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Kuper ends up playing tackle.
As much as i wouldn't mind seeing Kuper playing tackle. i think we need to actually Pick up a Name Lineman. not another project. we need a guy that can step right in and dominate. (Jake long?) this year is Deep again at all the need positions we are probably gonna end up in the draft. Except for safety (yet looks like there are some no names making a name for themselves and stepping up this year in College.

I think we can get a beefy DLineman all the way up to probably the fourth round. probably get a pretty good tackle up until i would think the third round. and LB i think we need to go in the first three rounds as well if we go that route.

So far the broncos don't look as bad as i thought they might be. I think we have great depth at some positions and what we need is starter/premiere guys which i think well be able to nab.

lex
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
As much as i wouldn't mind seeing Kuper playing tackle. i think we need to actually Pick up a Name Lineman. not another project. we need a guy that can step right in and dominate. (Jake long?) this year is Deep again at all the need positions we are probably gonna end up in the draft. Except for safety (yet looks like there are some no names making a name for themselves and stepping up this year in College.

I think we can get a beefy DLineman all the way up to probably the fourth round. probably get a pretty good tackle up until i would think the third round. and LB i think we need to go in the first three rounds as well if we go that route.

So far the broncos don't look as bad as i thought they might be. I think we have great depth at some positions and what we need is starter/premiere guys which i think well be able to nab.

I dont know. I made a point of watching Kuper in the preseason and I was very impressed. He started out playing guard and did really well there. He then moved to tackle and he also did a good job there. There were a couple of gaffes that you might expect when a guy goes from playing guard where he is flanked by another blocker on both sides to tackle where the guy he is blocking has more freedom of movement since he can go substantially wide. In any case, I though Kuper did very well and Im not so sure anyone we draft is closer to playing than Kuper is. Maybe Im wrong (or maybe Im right but Shanahan and Co dont agree) but I wouldnt be at all displeased to see what Kuper can do for us at tackle. I would love to have Long as Ive said many times before but I also think he may not be attainable. If its someone besides Long, its not really worth it because Long is as blue chip as it gets when looking for zone blocking OLinemen. But again, I dont think he's attainable as much as Id like to have him.

Plus, unless Kenny Phillips isavailable, Im not sure its worth drafting a safety right away. I also remember someone posting something about them going the FA route when getting a safety.

I think it might be a LB.

Skinny
09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
He is the highest paid linebacker on the team, by far. He played like crap, he deserves the criticism. Heck, he didn't get a tackle until 9 minutes left in the game.

Edit: his only tackleNo armchair QB has the right to knock (criticise) a player unless your a Faider (Sapp, Warren) or Randy Moss :tongue:

Ian Gold certainly does'nt deserve that. He plays all out every game and is not known as a "slacker".

Looking at the stats, alot of guys did'nt tackle.

Defense
Name.........TKL
D. Williams....7....1 Sack
N. Webster...5
C. Bailey......3
J. Moss........3
J. Shoate.....3
A. Gordon.....3
J. Engelberger.2
D. Bly...........2
E. Dumervil....2
J. Lynch.......1....1 Sack
N. Ferguson...1
S. Adams.....1
S. Rice........1
I. Gold.........1
H. Abdullah...1
M. Thomas...1

Offensively the Bills had just 47 plays, Denver had 71. There was'nt alot of tackles to go around.

There are alot of factors to take into consideration when mentioning tackles. Do you know how many plays went to Ian's side??

Yep, Ian missed some tackles. It happens to everyone. But if we're gonna knock somebody for lack of tackles^^^^^^^spread the love!

Let the Lynch replacement threads begin . . .
I think when your SLB outplays your WLB there is an issue...

Webster 8 TT, 5 Solo
Gold 1 TT, 1 Solo

Webster is on the side covered by the tight end, and isn't on the field as much as Gold...so either Webster is just that damn good or Gold was just that crappy.Neither.

Most teams, majority of the time, run to the strong side (TE side). Therefore most plays flowed his (Webster) way.

My point in case. Another thing to take into consideration.

Slick
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
No armchair QB has the right to knock (criticise) a player unless your a Faider (Sapp, Warren) or Randy Moss :tongue:

Ian Gold certainly does'nt deserve that. He plays all out every game and is not known as a "slacker".

Looking at the stats, alot of guys did'nt tackle.

Defense
Name.........TKL
D. Williams....7....1 Sack
N. Webster...5
C. Bailey......3
J. Moss........3
J. Shoate.....3
A. Gordon.....3
J. Engelberger.2
D. Bly...........2
E. Dumervil....2
J. Lynch.......1....1 Sack
N. Ferguson...1
S. Adams.....1
S. Rice........1
I. Gold.........1
H. Abdullah...1
M. Thomas...1

Offensively the Bills had just 47 plays, Denver had 71. There was'nt alot of tackles to go around.

There are alot of factors to take into consideration when mentioning tackles. Do you know how many plays went to Ian's side??

Yep, Ian missed some tackles. It happens to everyone. But if we're gonna knock somebody for lack of tackles^^^^^^^spread the love!

Let the Lynch replacement threads begin . . .Neither.

I've got 30 years of football seasons invested in the Broncos. If you think I can't say Ian Gold played like crap today on a message board, something stinks.

I didn't start the thread, I merely stated my opinion. I didn't call him a slacker, and yes you're right, he missed a lot of tackles. I watched him.

If a fan can't criticize a player on a message board, then we might as well drop a bomb on the place.

I thought he stunk today and I voiced my opinion.

If he plays great next week, I'd be the first to sing his praise.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I think we need a DT in the draft myself.

I agree with both you and Top....We need DT's in the draft....And Ian Gold sucks at tackling!

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 09:14 PM
i said in my TC preview thread back on BM that i hoped someone could mount a challenge to gold. . . he's been a good 'backer for us, but to me he looks like he's in decline, and has looked that way since the middle of last year-- i'd like to see him prove me wrong, but it's an area of concern for me. . . the way he let that WR slip his tackle was just embarrassing!

on a positive note, our other LBs played pretty well (i want to watch the game a second time before saying too much, but that was my initial impression). . . dj looked better than i expected-- hopefully he's starting to settle in-- and webster was very active, making some hard hits and generally being around the ball. . .

i wonder if the coaches are going to sit down with him this week and show him the game tape of him missing tackles. its pretty embarassing thats for sure. ian used to be really good for us....whats his deal? he keeps it up you will be hearing for his head from most of the fans.

Skinny
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I've got 30 years of football seasons invested in the Broncos. If you think I can't say Ian Gold played like crap today on a message board, something stinks.

I didn't start the thread, I merely stated my opinion. I didn't call him a slacker, and yes you're right, he missed a lot of tackles. I watched him.

If a fan can't criticize a player on a message board, then we might as well drop a bomb on the place.

I thought he stunk today and I voiced my opinion.

If he plays great next week, I'd be the first to sing his praise.lol, you did'nt start the thread but you quoted me slick. If you do quote me then i'll back up my opinion with my reason, same as you did.

I did'nt say "you can't" say Ian stunk. I said he does'nt deserve it. My opinion, thats' all.

If i came across in my post in that way i apologize for it was'nt what i ment.

You have every right to voice your opinion. I'm doing the same thing!

Slick
09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
lol, you did'nt start the thread but you quoted me slick. If you do quote me then i'll back up my opinion with my reason, same as you did.

I did'nt say "you can't" say Ian stunk. I said he does'nt deserve it. My opinion, thats' all.

If i came across in my post in that way i apologize for it was'nt what i ment.

You have every right to voice your opinion. I'm doing the same thing!

It's all good Skinny. I like Ian, always have, maybe that's why I was harsh.

We all know he can play better and I'm sure he will.

What matters most is the W. :salute:

Off topic,

I love SC. I went to a gamecock game and had a ball, and the women at the game were beautiful.

I hope Spurrier takes your boys to the promised land.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I've been one of the lone critics of Ian Gold since he was re-signed after his stint in Tampa Bay, and I've continued that charge filled with football knowledge and logic. Finally, people are starting to come around. There's no doubt that the guy is a phenomenal athlete, but he has always had the propensity to over pursue the play and his size is a liability any way you slice it. There are linebackers his size that can make plays, and are steady contributors - but he lacks no bulk and is blown off the ball consistently. The guy couldn't even shed a block from an eight year old.

Not only that, but his tackling form is piss poor and the guy is a locker room stink from what I've heard. When he left to Tampa Bay, I was certain he had burned the bridges down (he was pretty critical, as well as his agents) but obviously they weren't. He along with Warren were the two players I've been pegging as not on this team by the start of next season, and so far I'm one for one.

Like I said on the Orange Mane, it must suck knowing that the only reason you're hear is because someone else broke their neck, and that we have nobody else.

D.J. had his career sidelined for two years because of Denver's decision to bring back Ian, and his inability to make plays in this defense (when he should) proves just how little of a contributor this guy is going to be this year. Sure, it's only week one - but these are the same mistakes he's been making since his return to the Broncos. The only plays I remember Ian Gold making are his cheer leading antics on the sidelines when the offense does something nice. It's a damn shame, because even though Webster is playing well - we need a long-term solution on either side of Williams.

Lucky enough for the Broncos, there are a lot of quality linebackers in this draft. More so at WILL than SAM, but there are ILB who could flip as well. It might not be a first-round need, but it's definitely first day. That, along with defensive tackle and safety. You have to consider offensive line depth as well.

It'll be interesting to see if Williams' brother makes the jump. Not because of the brother thing, but that he's a phenomenal player.

I'd expect Gold to put up sometime soon, or he'll be out of town at the end of this season.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I've been one of the lone critics of Ian Gold since he was re-signed after his stint in Tampa Bay, and I've continued that charge filled with football knowledge and logic. Finally, people are starting to come around. There's no doubt that the guy is a phenomenal athlete, but he has always had the propensity to over pursue the play and his size is a liability any way you slice it. There are linebackers his size that can make plays, and are steady contributors - but he lacks no bulk and is blown off the ball consistently. The guy couldn't even shed a block from an eight year old.

Not only that, but his tackling form is piss poor and the guy is a locker room stink from what I've heard. When he left to Tampa Bay, I was certain he had burned the bridges down (he was pretty critical, as well as his agents) but obviously they weren't. He along with Warren were the two players I've been pegging as not on this team by the start of next season, and so far I'm one for one.

Like I said on the Orange Mane, it must suck knowing that the only reason you're hear is because someone else broke their neck, and that we have nobody else.

D.J. had his career sidelined for two years because of Denver's decision to bring back Ian, and his inability to make plays in this defense (when he should) proves just how little of a contributor this guy is going to be this year. Sure, it's only week one - but these are the same mistakes he's been making since his return to the Broncos. The only plays I remember Ian Gold making are his cheer leading antics on the sidelines when the offense does something nice. It's a damn shame, because even though Webster is playing well - we need a long-term solution on either side of Williams.

Lucky enough for the Broncos, there are a lot of quality linebackers in this draft. More so at WILL than SAM, but there are ILB who could flip as well. It might not be a first-round need, but it's definitely first day. That, along with defensive tackle and safety. You have to consider offensive line depth as well.

It'll be interesting to see if Williams' brother makes the jump. Not because of the brother thing, but that he's a phenomenal player.

I'd expect Gold to put up sometime soon, or he'll be out of town at the end of this season.

Who is his brother, Dream?

Skinny
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
It's all good Skinny. I like Ian, always have, maybe that's why I was harsh.

We all know he can play better and I'm sure he will.

What matters most is the W. :salute:

Off topic,

I love SC. I went to a gamecock game and had a ball, and the women at the game were beautiful.

I hope Spurrier takes your boys to the promised land.No doubt man :beer:

Things getted heated up in a hurry when talking about football. Especially Bronco football.

I had a opportunity to go to the Georgia game but i had to work. Free bus ride with the cheerleaders and mascot too! :tsk: Guy i work with has season tickets and is a Gamecock usher (20 yrs) for the games and offered the pass.

But i'm do for a reveiw so i did what i had to do.

Man, too many times we've started off strong (S.C.) and faded down the stretch. That said . . . we'll see.

topscribe
09-09-2007, 09:48 PM

MLB or WLB or SLB

Have we all forgotten about Marcus Thomas? He's not starting now because
he's a rookie who had not played for a year before joining the Broncos, but
I believe he is destined for stardom. Bates commented that Thomas has
Pro Bowls in his future. If Gordon is good enough to start now, he should be
good enough to provide depth in the future.

Regarding safety (which I know you didn't mention; I'm responding to others),
I believe Abdullah is a comer. He plays like a faster Lynch. Even Lynch is a
fan of his. And I'm sure it's not easy to impress an eight-time Pro Bowler.

We might need an offensive lineman, but how urgent is that? With Kuper,
Myers, Pears, and Harris, we have some promising young linemen coming up.

It just seems we're hurtin' for certain at LB. Unless Gold picks up his game,
he's going to hurt us. We actually have two very good linebackers: Williams
and Webster. After that, it gets dicy, IMO.

Yes, it would be nice to get a star at another position, but doesn't it seem
that LB is the place of the most urgent need?

-----

lex
09-09-2007, 09:50 PM

I hear you. Although, like many things its a matter of degree. Yeah he missed tackles before but he also got to plays with his speed. But now he is just completely whiffing and its not just one game and seems to be getting a lot worse. He was pathetic today just like he was 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, if he continues to be this bad, we probably cant afford to wait until the end of the year. A linebacker with one tackle but 3 (at least) missed tackles. Thats horrible. Though a lot will be dictated by what happens during the season, LB just moved to the top of the list in terms of needs as far as Im concerned. We need a space eating, gap-controlling DT, a safety and LBs.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Who is his brother, Dream?

Worrell Williams, LB - Cal.

Chidoze
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM

-----
I noticed this too. He was running around like crazy in the 1st half hitting people........he just couldnt complete the tackle though.

I still think he's a above average OLB, but he just needs to wrap up and stop trying to take peoples heads off. :salute:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Thomas still needs a running mate, and Amon Gordon is not a long-term guy here in Denver. McKinley isn't a long-term option either. Once Adams retires, (and he will) Denver will have three defensive tackles, I'm not counting Antwon Burton.

Abdullah has potential, but there are guys out there who have way more. Denver will need to find a safety when John retires because that'd leave us short one. Cox and Abdullah, regardless of the feel good stories aren't long term solutions. That needs to be understood. However, there's nothing wrong with them being role players.

Pears and Myers are in contract years, and Myers and Pears didn't play well today. Holland played terrible, which makes me wonder why Kuper isn't starting. I'm excited about Harris, but he's currently out of commission. The Broncos will need another prospect at tackle, and taking a look inside wouldn't hurt either.

Depends on the person. I'd place all three of those defensive needs on par with each other because we could use a starter and depth. Help on the line, in particular tackle needs to be done too. We have two fourth's and fifth's so we'll be able to get some depth players, but since we only have two first-day selections, we have to choose wisely.

We'll see as the season progresses.

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Ian Gold has made some mistakes early this season. Remember though this is a new scheme give him a little more time. As someone else noted about his coverage skills are tops in the leuage.(not the best but up there) and also the person noted that he will be invalueable when we face teams with a good tight end.

Did you see Williams return for a touchdown on a fumble a week or so ago. If i was gonna get any brother of a linebacker already in the leuage i think would take Erin Henderson from Maryland.

Just a note i just found out one of Clay matthews sons is a linebacker at USC. Thats a great pedigree right there.

I would place Line help above safety help becuase i dont know how much Lepsis has left in his tank. and i am not sold on Harris yet. and i am pretty encouraged by Hamza

I think it could be OT DT S LB well soon enough see though

lex
09-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Here are the top 50 according to scout.com:

Pos Overall
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
DT 1 Glenn Dorsey SR 6-2/299/- LSU Gonzales, LA
DE 2 Chris Long SR 6-4/284/- Virginia Charlottesville, VA
WR 3 Early Doucet SR 6-1/210/- LSU Saint Martinville, LA
DT 4 Sedrick Ellis SR 6-1/285/- USC Chino, CA
OT 5 Jake Long SR 6-7/313/- Michigan Lapeer, MI
DE 6 Quentin Groves SR 6-3/254/- Auburn Greenville, MS
OLB 7 Keith Rivers SR 6-3/220/- USC Lake Mary, FL
WR 8 Limas Sweed SR 6-5/219/- Texas Brenham, TX
DE 9 Tommy Blake SR 6-3/252/- TCU Aransas Pass, TX
CB 10 Terrell Thomas SR 6-1/195/- USC Rancho Cucamonga, CA
DT 11 Demario Pressley SR 6-3/295/- North Carolina State Greensboro, NC
WR 12 Adarius Bowman SR 6-4/220/- Oklahoma State Chattanooga, TN
OLB 13 Dan Connor SR 6-3/233/- Penn State Wallingford, PA
OT 14 Sam Baker SR 6-5/305/- USC Tustin, CA
CB 15 Simeon Castille SR 6-1/193/- Alabama Birmingham, AL
QB 16 Chad Henne SR 6-3/225/- Michigan West Lawn, PA
QB 17 Brian Brohm SR 6-4/226/- Louisville Louisville, KY
MLB 18 Philip Wheeler SR 6-2/230/- Georgia Tech Columbus, GA
OLB 19 Xavier Adibi SR 6-2/236/- Virginia Tech Hampton, VA
OT 20 Gosder Cherilus SR 6-7/319/- Boston College Somerville, MA
DE 21 Lawrence Jackson SR 6-5/265/- USC Inglewood, CA
QB 22 Colt Brennan SR 6-3/201/- Hawaii Santa Ana, CA
S 23 Jonathan Hefney SR 5-9/185/- Tennessee Chatham, VA
CB 24 DeJuan Tribble SR 5-9/190/- Boston College Cincinnati, OH
OLB 25 Ali Highsmith SR 6-1/225/- LSU Miami, FL
RB 26 Mike Hart SR 5-9/196/- Michigan Nedrow, NY
DT 27 Frank Okam SR 6-5/320/- Texas Dallas, TX
OG 28 Eric Young SR 6-4/305/- Tennessee Union, SC
TE 29 Fred Davis SR 6-4/245/- USC Toledo, OH
CB 30 Antoine Cason SR 6-0/185/- Arizona Los Alamitos, CA
OLB 31 Ezra Butler-Beaton SR 6-2/248/- Nevada Calabasas, CA
QB 32 Matt Ryan SR 6-5/220/- Boston College Philadelphia, PA
MLB 33 Jasper Brinkley SR 6-2/262/- South Carolina Thomson, GA
CB 34 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie SR 6-2/182/- Tennessee State Bradenton, FL
RB 35 Tashard Choice SR 6-1/205/- Georgia Tech Lovejoy, GA
TE 36 John Carlson SR 6-6/255/- Notre Dame Litchfield, MN
QB 37 Andre Woodson SR 6-5/230/- Kentucky Radcliff, KY
CB 38 Chevis Jackson SR 6-0/190/- LSU Mobile, AL
MLB 39 Vince Hall SR 6-0/238/- Virginia Tech Chesapeake, VA
S 40 Tierre Green SR 6-1/200/- Nebraska Omaha, NE
OT 41 Tony Hills SR 6-6/305/- Texas Houston, TX
WR 42 Keenan Burton SR 6-2/195/- Kentucky Louisville, KY
RB 43 Allen Patrick SR 6-0/191/- Oklahoma Conway, SC
S 44 Darien Williams SR 6-0/197/- Oklahoma Mesquite, TX
DT 45 Joseph Bryant SR 6-5/322/- Texas A&M Jasper, TX
OT 46 Mike McGlynn SR 6-5/315/- Pittsburgh Youngstown, OH
WR 47 Eddie Royal SR 5-10/180/- Virginia Tech Chantilly, VA
OT 48 Chris Williams SR 6-6/320/- Vanderbilt Baton Rouge, LA
OT 49 Barry Richardson SR 6-7/330/- Clemson Mt Pleasant, SC
WR 50 Harry Douglas SR 5-11/170/- Louisville Jonesboro, GA

Ill also paste their top ranked DTs, Ss, and OLBs.

lex
09-09-2007, 10:27 PM
DTs:

Pos Pos
DT 1 Glenn Dorsey SR 6-2/299/- LSU Gonzales, LA
DT 2 Sedrick Ellis SR 6-1/285/- USC Chino, CA
DT 3 Demario Pressley SR 6-3/295/- North Carolina State Greensboro, NC
DT 4 Frank Okam SR 6-5/320/- Texas Dallas, TX
DT 5 Joseph Bryant SR 6-5/322/- Texas A&M Jasper, TX
DT 6 Andre Fluellen SR 6-4/280/- Florida State Cartersville, GA
DT 7 Nick Hayden SR 6-5/301/- Wisconsin Hartland, WI
DT 8 B.J. Raji SR 6-2/320/- Boston College Westwood, NJ
DT 9 Dre Moore SR 6-4/311/- Maryland Charlotte, NC
DT 10 Lionel Dotson SR 6-4/286/- Arizona Houston, TX
DT 11 Barry Booker SR 6-4/290/- Virginia Tech Amherst, VA
DT 12 Keilen Dykes SR 6-5/295/- West Virginia Youngstown, OH
DT 13 Jason Shirley SR 6-5/330/- Fresno State Fontana, CA
OLBs:

Pos Pos
OLB 1 Keith Rivers SR 6-3/220/- USC Lake Mary, FL
OLB 2 Dan Connor SR 6-3/233/- Penn State Wallingford, PA
OLB 3 Xavier Adibi SR 6-2/236/- Virginia Tech Hampton, VA
OLB 4 Ali Highsmith SR 6-1/225/- LSU Miami, FL
OLB 5 Ezra Butler-Beaton SR 6-2/248/- Nevada Calabasas, CA
OLB 6 Malik Jackson SR 6-2/230/- Louisville Dunwoody, GA
OLB 7 Tavares Gooden SR 6-2/238/- Miami (FL) Fort Lauderdale, FL
OLB 8 Bo Ruud SR 6-3/235/- Nebraska Lincoln, NE
OLB 9 Larry Grant SR 6-3/226/- Ohio State Norcross, GA
OLB 10 Shawn Crable SR 6-5/245/- Michigan Massillon, OH
OLB 11 Demarrio Pleasant SR 6-2/231/- Oklahoma Lewisville, TX
OLB 12 Brian Toal SR 6-0/252/- Boston College Ramsey, NJ
OLB 13 Beau Bell SR 6-3/245/- UNLV
OLB 14 Robert Killebrew SR 6-2/230/- Texas Klein, TX
OLB 15 JoLonn Dunbar SR 6-0/226/- Boston College Syracuse, NY
OLB 16 Alvin Bowen SR 6-4/220/- Iowa State Montclair, NJ
OLB 17 Stanford Keglar SR 6-2/247/- Purdue Indianapolis, IN
OLB 18 Bryan Kehl SR 6-3/231/- BYU
Ss:

Pos Pos
S 1 Jonathan Hefney SR 5-9/185/- Tennessee Chatham, VA
S 2 Tierre Green SR 6-1/200/- Nebraska Omaha, NE
S 3 Darien Williams SR 6-0/197/- Oklahoma Mesquite, TX
S 4 Jamar Adams SR 6-2/212/- Michigan Matthews, NC
S 5 Dennis Keyes SR 6-2/199/- UCLA Van Nuys, CA
S 6 Josh Barrett SR 6-3/231/- Arizona State Reno, NV
S 7 Quintin Demps SR 6-1/205/- UTEP San Antonio, TX
S 8 Chris Horton SR 6-1/216/- UCLA New Orleans, LA
S 9 Tommy Zbikowski SR 6-0/207/- Notre Dame Buffalo Grove, IL
S 10 Tony Cade SR 6-2/205/- Oklahoma Lewisville, TX
S 11 Roger Williams SR 6-1/210/- Florida State Warner Robins, GA
S 12 Eric Brock SR 6-1/209/- Auburn Alexander City, AL
S 13 Bobbie Williams SR 6-0/212/- Bethune Cookman
S 14 Thomas Decoud SR 6-2/204/- California Pinole, CA
S 15 Dominique Barber SR 6-0/210/- Minnesota Plymouth, MN
S 16 Damon Nickson SR 6-0/177/- Middle Tennessee Milton, FL
S 17 Eric Wicks SR 6-1/205/- West Virginia Pittsburgh, PA
S 18 James Silva SR 5-11/210/- Boston College East Providence, RI
S 19 David Roach SR 6-2/215/- TCU Abilene, TX
S 20 Marcus Griffin SR 6-0/202/- Texas Austin, TX
S 21 D.J. Parker SR 6-0/198/- Virginia Tech Chatham, VA
S 22 Caleb Campbell SR 6-3/224/- Army Perryton, TX

Does Dream or anyone else know of a list of the underclassmen? Looking at the above, maybe we should trade down?

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 10:37 PM

-----

To be honest top i agree LB is a need but not a top need.

I like Thomas i don't think he fits the scheme at this time. I have said that since we drafted him. Whether he can overcome his weaknesses and become a tackle type we are looking for remains to be seen. ( i am not a hater by anymeans i just want to see if he can do it. )

Football starts on the lines. We have some of the best CB's in the leauge. we need to get our line to be able to dominate. Be able to apply pressure and effectively have guys that are able to plug holes and make teams throw on one of our strengths.

I think with a dominate Dline and a Great secondary we can have servicable linebackers. Not that is what i want its something i think we can sacrafice. and place a lower priority.

Our Oline is missing the Mcneils. Ogdens zimmermans. (not in there style of play but there ability to dominate.) We have to be able to give jay the time to throw. I like Lepsis but he is on the backside of his career. We need a anchor for our oline.

I am not a all knowing football guy but that is how i see it.

topscribe
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM

I like Thomas i don't think he fits the scheme at this time. I have said that since we drafted him. Whether he can overcome his weaknesses and become a tackle type we are looking for remains to be seen. ( i am not a hater by anymeans i just want to see if he can do it. )

Football starts on the lines. We have some of the best CB's in the leauge. we need to get our line to be able to dominate. Be able to apply pressure and effectively have guys that are able to plug holes and make teams throw on one of our strengths.

I think with a dominate Dline and a Great secondary we can have servicable linebackers. Not that is what i want its something i think we can sacrafice. and place a lower priority.

Our Oline is missing the Mcneils. Ogdens zimmermans. (not in there style of play but there ability to dominate.) We have to be able to give jay the time to throw. I like Lepsis but he is on the backside of his career. We need a anchor for our oline.

Well, you make sense and may very well be right. I would rather have an
excellent DL and so-so linebackers than excellent linebackers and a so-so
DL. You and I witnessed how far the latter got us, didn't we?

I'm working on a magic potion to restore Rich Jackson, Dave Costa, and
Rulon Jones to their prime so we can bring them back. Then we should be
fine. :D

-----

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Well, you make sense and may very well be right. I would rather have an
excellent DL and so-so linebackers than excellent linebackers and a so-so
DL. You and I witnessed how far the latter got us, didn't we?

I'm working on a magic potion to restore Rich Jackson, Dave Costa, and
Rulon Jones to their prime so we can bring them back. Then we should be
fine. :D

-----I am not old enough to remember the first two. but i was definetly a big fan of Rulon Jones and Greg Kragen Some of my earliest broncos favorites as a kid.

dogfish
09-09-2007, 11:13 PM

damn you for not knowing everything! :mad:

Broncos Mtnman
09-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Gold has ALWAYS been a weak talent when it comes to tackling. I have no idea why we took him back.

He's one of the fastest LBs in the NFL, but his speed is his nemesis when it comes to tackling. He will often over-pursue the play, and many times he's simply out-muscled by the guy he's trying to tackle.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him replaced in the draft next year.

DenBronx
09-09-2007, 11:32 PM
maybe we do what we have done the past few drafts and that is stock draft. one year we took mostly dbs, next year it was wrs/tes, this year was mostly dline and next might be linebackers.

our safeties are not getting any younger either. webster is ok and occasionaly he will make a nice hit but he is not the answer. dj needs massive help....ian might be replaced next year and webster might continue his role but as a backup where he belongs.

broncosinindy
09-09-2007, 11:33 PM
damn you for not knowing everything! :mad:

I keep telling myself one day........ I will rule the world!!!

Broncosfreak_56
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
He...um...how do I put it nicely...?

SUCKED. Maybe he had a bad game though, so im willing to say his play was an abirration. I hope.

Joel
09-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Meh. I don't expect Gold to have as many tackles as Webster when they're trying to jam their rookie top draft pick down our throats on the ground; while all the LBs have to do everything, Will tends to draw more pass coverage and Sam tends to draw more run stuffing. That's why Gold and his whopping 223 lbs. are at Will and would never work at Sam, and like I say, we'll see that against the many teams we face with premiere receiving TEs.

As to whether we should go for a WLB, MLB or SLB, I say once again: Anyone capable of starting at MLB in the the NFL can has the smarts, speed and coverage ability to start at Will, and the size and tackling to start at Sam, and the proof is that D.J. did both before being moved to MLB when we needed a new starter. If we draft a Pro Bowl Will and the people concerned about our Sam are right, we're in trouble; if we the opposite happens, we're still in trouble. If, on the other hand, we draft a future starting MLB and both D.J. and Webster have long outstanding careers in the middle and on the strong side he can start at Will and average a half dozen picks and sacks every year. If Gold plays another half dozen years and/or Louis Green really is the future there we'll have a guy who stuffs the run at least as well as Webster and can cover better. If Webster and Gold both work well in the long term but D.J. never makes the transition to MLB we'll have that problem licked. It's a win-win-win, in addition to relieving my concerns about what happens if D.J. doesn't transition well and/or, heaven forbid, gets hurt; I'm still not convinced Webster is the do it all guy who can fill that hole with no slippage. In my perfect world we'd have three starting MLBs and a decent Will and Sam to backup those positions if one of the starters has to move to the middle.

We still need a NT though....

Joel
09-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Thomas still needs a running mate, and Amon Gordon is not a long-term guy here in Denver. McKinley isn't a long-term option either. Once Adams retires, (and he will) Denver will have three defensive tackles, I'm not counting Antwon Burton.
I agree with most of that; Thomas is more likely to accommodate the coaches desire to have the tackles be cloggers than Warren or Kennedy because he has a lot to prove, but while I like the talent, as well as the stats McKinley posted for awful Browns teams when he was healty, we entered this season with a lot of talented finesse pass rushing tackles and one true clogging NT in Adams, who won't be around long. Gordon really ISN'T good enough to start or he would've done so last year instead of sitting on the bench until the very end of the Bungles game (or maybe I'm thinking of Burton, because they both look the same to me: Two of last years practice squad guys who've been promoted because we solved the Kennedy/Warren starter problem by dumping both). We need to draft a NT, even if Thomas is a future HoFer AND even if we can scrape another year out of Sam Adams, because that only gives us two DTs on a team that wants three or four to rotate.

Abdullah has potential, but there are guys out there who have way more. Denver will need to find a safety when John retires because that'd leave us short one. Cox and Abdullah, regardless of the feel good stories aren't long term solutions. That needs to be understood. However, there's nothing wrong with them being role players.
I (potentially) disagree on Abdullah; we just don't know yet, but by the time Lynch retires he may be a very solid replacement. On the other hand, with Brandon gone for at least this season and Fergy aging I wouldn't mind picking up a good centerfielder (it'd be nice to have one on a roster of 53... ) it's just not nearly as high a priority as NT and MLB for me.

Pears and Myers are in contract years, and Myers and Pears didn't play well today. Holland played terrible, which makes me wonder why Kuper isn't starting. I'm excited about Harris, but he's currently out of commission. The Broncos will need another prospect at tackle, and taking a look inside wouldn't hurt either.
Pears and Myers haven't shown enough that teams are going to be beating a path to their door or they can afford to hold out for $10 mill. I think they're both going to be here and be very productive for a long time; it certainly looks like the coaches mean Myers to be "Ben Hamilton Mk II", and one of the many nice things about him and Kuper is that they've both played every position on the line. Pears is a natural RT who'll only get better starting at his natural position; LT is a much bigger concern for me because 1) Pears isn't as well suited to that more demanding position and 2) I know we're all excited about the latest product of storied Notre Dame, but IMHO storied Notre Dame is just that to an even greater extent than most of the NCAA; until they take the field and perform in a regular season game Harris, Thomas and Crowder are just scrubs to me.

Depends on the person. I'd place all three of those defensive needs on par with each other because we could use a starter and depth. Help on the line, in particular tackle needs to be done too. We have two fourth's and fifth's so we'll be able to get some depth players, but since we only have two first-day selections, we have to choose wisely.
I agree with that last part, and that's why I'd make it a NT and MLB.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-10-2007, 10:54 PM
We need to draft a NT, even if Thomas is a future HoFer AND even if we can scrape another year out of Sam Adams, because that only gives us two DTs on a team that wants three or four to rotate.

Unfortunately, BJ Raji isn't elligible for this year (NT, Boston College) so our options via the draft went down a bit, and with Marcus Harrison getting dismissed - it went from a nice year to a little skeptical regarding the position. There are still two or three names there, Okam and Bryant for sure - Dre Moore has that ability and Jason Shirley from Fresno St. is another option.

I (potentially) disagree on Abdullah; we just don't know yet, but by the time Lynch retires he may be a very solid replacement. On the other hand, with Brandon gone for at least this season and Fergy aging I wouldn't mind picking up a good centerfielder (it'd be nice to have one on a roster of 53... ) it's just not nearly as high a priority as NT and MLB for me.

With a weak safety class, and the likelihood we'll miss out on a guy like Kenny Phillips, we can wait until the fourth or fifth round to look for a prospect. Heck, a lot of guys have been in that area the past few years and are starting. There still isn't as much as a premium at the position as advertised, so you can get starting potential prospects in that area of the draft. I just consider it a big need because we could have two people to replace in the next year or so, not just one. I hear you on NT/LB though.

Pears and Myers haven't shown enough that teams are going to be beating a path to their door or they can afford to hold out for $10 mill. I think they're both going to be here and be very productive for a long time; it certainly looks like the coaches mean Myers to be "Ben Hamilton Mk II", and one of the many nice things about him and Kuper is that they've both played every position on the line. Pears is a natural RT who'll only get better starting at his natural position; LT is a much bigger concern for me because 1) Pears isn't as well suited to that more demanding position and 2) I know we're all excited about the latest product of storied Notre Dame, but IMHO storied Notre Dame is just that to an even greater extent than most of the NCAA; until they take the field and perform in a regular season game Harris, Thomas and Crowder are just scrubs to me.

I have more positive thoughts on Myers and Kuper, but Pears just doesn't do it for me. As a right tackle, you should be great at blocking the run, but Pears isn't. As much as I like Harris, the jury is still out - so we'll just have to wait and see. Another tackle prospect would be nice. There should be some quality options all around the board, this is a great year there.

I agree with that last part, and that's why I'd make it a NT and MLB.

I don't know why you think MLB, do you assume DJ won't do well or are you interested in moving him elsewhere?

A versatile linebacker who can play multiple positions would be key. There are a few of those guys, both inside and out (who can flip) so we're fortunate. There are quite a few guys I am high on, and as the college season progresses I'll touch on some in my blog.

I really, really like Keith Rivers. I think he's the real deal.

Lonestar
09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I have not read many of the posts here so If I repeat someone ideas We must think alike.

gold IMHO is loved by someone near the top of the totem pole. Or at least was.

I think it is time to start looking in the Draft/FA for a above average quick WLB.

We do not have to waste #1 on one. Just probably first dayer.

Our biggest priority should be a really BIG DT to take over for Adams.

Safety is probably next on the wish list. For day one.

We have all day on the second day to look for OLine guys.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I have not read many of the posts here so If I repeat someone ideas We must think alike.

gold IMHO is loved by someone near the top of the totem pole. Or at least was.

I think it is time to start looking in the Draft/FA for a above average quick WLB.

We do not have to waste #1 on one. Just probably first dayer.

Our biggest priority should be a really BIG DT to take over for Adams.

Safety is probably next on the wish list. For day one.

We have all day on the second day to look for OLine guys.

I think think this is a sound plan, but remember we don't have a third-rounder - but I like the way you're thinking. As usual, I'm always evaluating players as the college season progresses and there is a little ambiguity on the first-day for a big NT/stuffer at defensive tackle, but there are some guys.

There is a lot of value at linebacker, so we could find a good one at either #1 or #2.

A safety could be found in the fourth, as well as offensive line depth. We also have two fifth-rounder and two seventh-rounders, so we have a lot of options on Day 2, but I don't think this is going to be a team that'll need six day two selections. That just seems like an awful lot, considering the roster we seem to have for the future.

lex
09-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I think think this is a sound plan, but remember we don't have a third-rounder - but I like the way you're thinking. As usual, I'm always evaluating players as the college season progresses and there is a little ambiguity on the first-day for a big NT/stuffer at defensive tackle, but there are some guys.

There is a lot of value at linebacker, so we could find a good one at either #1 or #2.

A safety could be found in the fourth, as well as offensive line depth. We also have two fifth-rounder and two seventh-rounders, so we have a lot of options on Day 2, but I don't think this is going to be a team that'll need six day two selections. That just seems like an awful lot, considering the roster we seem to have for the future.

I thought I read something a while back that someone posted that said theyre more likely to get a FA to play safety. Im actually cool with that with such a weak draft class for Ss. I think we should multiply our picks by trading down. When I looked at the LB picks I actually saw some depth there. I think Ruud was around 5 or 6. If we stood pat though and drafted Connor, I wouldnt complain either. I think we need to draft LBs, DT and maybe even another returner. This may sound weird but I also think we should start looking at guys with specific skills who play special teams at schools that are good at special teams. Something needs to be done about our special teams.