PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Open Season @ OAK on MNF

tubby
03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Kickoff Weekend primetime schedule includes Monday doubleheader

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the 2008 Kickoff Weekend national primetime television schedule on Monday.

For the fifth consecutive season, the defending Super Bowl champion will open the season by hosting the NFL Thursday night season kickoff. The 2008 regular season officially opens on Thursday, Sept. 4 when the New York Giants host the Washington Redskins at 7 p.m. ET on NBC.

The kickoff will be 90 minutes earlier than the start time of the traditional season opener due to the Republican National Convention.

The Week 1 Sunday night primetime contest will feature a rematch of of Super Bowl XLI, with the Chicago Bears at the Indianapolis Colts at 8:15 p.m. ET. It will mark the Colts' first game in their new home, Lucas Oil Stadium.

The first Monday night of the 2008 season will feature a doubleheader for the third consecutive season. In two matchups of division rivals on Sept. 8, the Green Bay Packers will host the Minnesota Vikings at 7 p.m. ET, followed by the Denver Broncos at the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 p.m. ET. Both games will be televised on ESPN.

The announcement of these national primetime TV games was made by Goodell at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Florida.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d8077fc99&template=with-video&confirm=true

NightTrainLayne
03-31-2008, 01:00 PM
All-right! Let's get it on!

Shanny will be working on the game-plan non-stop for months. I can't wait.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
w

1-0

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Could they make it any later for us on the east coast. Wow! that sucks

BroncoJoe
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
So, you'll be a little tired on Tuesday Boss. You can do it!

Geez. September seems VERY far away....

Bronco9798
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
What is this, the 4th year in a row starting the season on the road? Hopefully we will get two back to back home games to end the season this year.

Escobar
w

1-0

Like last year huh....... :coffee:

claymore
Could they make it any later for us on the east coast. Wow! that sucksI freakin Hate MNF ( love it but its tooo late). Its 1 AM before I can realistically fall asleep. :tsk: Plus this is what three years we have opened on the road? BS if you ask me.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
So, you'll be a little tired on Tuesday Boss. You can do it!

Geez. September seems VERY far away....

I'll have to get some Coors Light to keep me up. :D:beer:

turftoad
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
What is this, the 4th year in a row starting the season on the road? Hopefully we will get two back to back home games to end the season this year.

Kev, you get to have the Faiders logo on your sig the whole offseason.

vtroper
03-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Yikes, that's an ass sandwhich game here on the East Coast

claymore
03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Yikes, that's an ass sandwhich game here on the East Coast
LMMFAO, thats the best way it can be put for us poor bastages.

Bronco9798
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
I'll be on vacation that week. :-)

tubby
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
I thought for sure the Broncos would open at home this year.

:frown:

GEM
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I thought for sure the Broncos would open at home this year.

:frown:

How long has it been since we opened up at home?

tubby
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
How long has it been since we opened up at home?

NameUsedBefore
03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Jay Cutler and JaMarcus Russell... Should be a solid game considering Oakland can only go up and they look like they've added some solid pieces this off-season.

Scarface
03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Ke Ke Ke Yeaaah!!!!!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/2007-11-19-091741.jpg

Bronco9798
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Jay Cutler and JaMarcus Russell... Should be a solid game considering Oakland can only go up and they look like they've added some solid pieces this off-season.

We should really dominate this game, in all reality. But we should of dominated the Rams, the Dolphins, and Bills the last 3 years as well on opening day.

Escobar
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Ke Ke Ke Yeaaah!!!!!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/2007-11-19-091741.jpg

wtf??

Scarface
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
wtf??

Metalocoplypse. You're seriously missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nISjjwnQnK8

HolyDiver
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the 2008 Kickoff Weekend national primetime television schedule on Monday.

For the fifth consecutive season, the defending Super Bowl champion will open the season by hosting the NFL Thursday night season kickoff. The 2008 regular season officially opens on Thursday, Sept. 4 when the New York Giants host the Washington Redskins at 7 p.m. ET on NBC.

The kickoff will be 90 minutes earlier than the start time of the traditional season opener due to the Republican National Convention.

The Week 1 Sunday night primetime contest will feature a rematch of of Super Bowl XLI, with the Chicago Bears at the Indianapolis Colts at 8:15 p.m. ET. It will mark the Colts' first game in their new home, Lucas Oil Stadium.

The first Monday night of the 2008 season will feature a doubleheader for the third consecutive season. In two matchups of division rivals on Sept. 8, the Green Bay Packers will host the Minnesota Vikings at 7 p.m. ET, followed by the Denver Broncos at the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 p.m. ET. Both games will be televised on ESPN.

The announcement of these national primetime TV games was made by Goodell at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Florida.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d8077fc99&template=with-video&confirm=true

Dammit, I hate waiting until Monday night for our season opener............Plus, MNF doesn't start here until almost 9:00.............eastern.

WARHORSE
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
I dont like starting on the road, but if we gotta, Id love to start it off with handing the Pukes and home loss to start their season. Lets begin their season with rumors of firings, lockeroom discontent, DeAngelo Hall ripping Jamarcus and throwing him under the bus, and Al Davis losing his last few hairs.

Im itchin for a scrape anyways and monday night in Jokeland is fine with me to get it goin.

1-0http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/tasmanianWHAT.gif

dogfish
03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
screw all this petty complaining! if you're a good team you expect to win regardless of where you're playing, and if you're not it doesn't matter anyways. . . i like opening on the road-- i'd rather have as many home games as possible down the stretch. . . .

if anyone can think of a better way to open the season than going into the crack hole and kicking oakland's ass on national television, just tell me what it is. . . .

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
might be two years in a row we start the season against one of the premier rookie runningbacks... last year... Lynch... this year McFadden?

lex
03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
screw all this petty complaining! if you're a good team you expect to win regardless of where you're playing, and if you're not it doesn't matter anyways. . . i like opening on the road-- i'd rather have as many home games as possible down the stretch. . . .

if anyone can think of a better way to open the season than going into the crack hole and kicking oakland's ass on national television, just tell me what it is. . . .

Except theres no guarantee that we will get home games down the stretch. It seems like we can fully expect to open on the road and not rule out playing 5 of our last 8 games on the road.

Timmy!
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Sounds good to me. Sure would be nice to have some home games at the end of the year though.

tubby
03-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Dammit, I hate waiting until Monday night for our season opener............Plus, MNF doesn't start here until almost 9:00.............eastern.

Yo numbnutz, can you read? Try 10:15.........eastern. There are 2 games that Monday.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
talk about a boring monday night football lineup for fans.... Of course we like it because we are Broncos fans.. but think about it... Packers with no Farve... Oakland sucks... Denver isn't great anymore...Vikings are great if your a Adrian Peterson fan or a fan of a good defense.... besides that fans don't have much to look forward to for Monday night.

WARHORSE
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
talk about a boring monday night football lineup for fans.... Of course we like it because we are Broncos fans.. but think about it... Packers with no Farve... Oakland sucks... Denver isn't great anymore...Vikings are great if your a Adrian Peterson fan or a fan of a good defense.... besides that fans don't have much to look forward to for Monday night.

Its called premonition.

Premonition.

I have a premonition that the monday night game between the Broncos and the Faders will be AWESOME instead of sucking.

Promonition.

:coffee:

Besides. Its the beginning of the season and everyone will be trying to snort up every game possible.

Like a broke crack addict that just stumbled up on a $100 bill, we will be JONESING.

horsesense
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Boring?:confused:
Anything but boring. These are 2 great rival games. Aaron Rogers may not be Brett Favre (just yet), but give the kid a chance. When filling in for Brett last season he more than held his own. How bout watching A. Peterson, and AJ Hawk go head to head. All this followed by a Bronco/Raider prime time game where both teams always play each other tough. I cant wait.
The NFL couldve done much worse to open the season..

Retired_Member_001
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
What sad soul (apart from Broncos and Faiders fans) would want to watch us on MNF?

A horrible defense plays a horrible offense.

LRtagger
03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
10:15 WTF

Better go ahead and call that Tuesday off of work

SmilinAssasSin27
03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Well...at least I know I won't be traveling to Carolina or NY in week 1...

Rex
03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Well...at least I know I won't be traveling to Carolina or NY in week 1...

Is the 1st game one of the 3 that you watch?

denbroncofan26
03-31-2008, 04:34 PM

Is 7 pm really that late?

denbroncofan26
03-31-2008, 04:35 PM
lol nm i misread it...geez 10:15 is really late for the start of a game

SmilinAssasSin27
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Is the 1st game one of the 3 that you watch?

huh?

mopatt24
03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah it sucks we're starting the season on the road, but BRING IT ON!!!

Some where in Florida, Mike Shanahan is licking his chops

Thnikkaman
03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
I wonder if Greenie and Golec are calling this one like they did with Crackmore and the Bungles last year.

Bronco Bible
03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
They need to do something about the starting times --thats past my bedtime;)

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Guess this means we can get our asses kicked on National TV first thing this year..

Since Defense usually gels first and this is now their third year in Ryan's system. And we are most likely going to be one WR short of a full load going the beginning of the season..

I can hardly wait..

BroncoJoe
03-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Guess this means we can get our asses kicked on National TV first thing this year..

Sine Defense usually gels first and this is now their third year in Ryan's system. And we are most likely going to be one WR short of a full load going the beginning of the season..

I can hardly wait..

Always the optomist... :tsk:

I swear you've got to be related to Zambini15. Do you like bicycle racing?

Thnikkaman
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM

Since Defense usually gels first and this is now their third year in Ryan's system. And we are most likely going to be one WR short of a full load going the beginning of the season..

I can hardly wait..

Do you cut yourself to feel?

dogfish
03-31-2008, 05:43 PM

I can hardly wait..

BOOOOO!!!!

JR, this time you have gone TOO FAR!!

recognizing our pitiful drafting and general lack of talent is one thing, but predicting a loss to the faders. . . . ??

:mad: :tsk:

G_Money
03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
http://static.flickr.com/118/317073169_5170a5632d_m.jpg

I'm glad it's the Raiders. Shanny actually cares about Raiders games. It means we might do more than passively run the ball 3 times from the 8 yard line and kick a field goal.

And then we'll see what we're made of. Raiders on opening night? How can you not look forward to that?

If the Broncos lie down for that game it'll be a lie-down season. If they get up for it and play with some passion maybe we'll have something. I prefer early bell-weathers to false hopes from beating up on 'tard teams that don't have enough invested in the games anyway.

~G

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
http://static.flickr.com/118/317073169_5170a5632d_m.jpg

I'm glad it's the Raiders. Shanny actually cares about Raiders games. It means we might do more than passively run the ball 3 times from the 8 yard line and kick a field goal.

And then we'll see what we're made of. Raiders on opening night? How can you not look forward to that?

If the Broncos lie down for that game it'll be a lie-down season. If they get up for it and play with some passion maybe we'll have something. I prefer early bell-weathers to false hopes from beating up on 'tard teams that don't have enough invested in the games anyway.

~G

I don't think the will lie down, they flat will not be prepared for it.. IMO This may be al davis's super bowl this year..

Ryan had the defense going pretty good last year one of the top rated pass defenses, IIRC since Ryan is related to buddy who we fired that is just more reason for them to whoop up on us..

The only think that remains to be seen is what kinda QB they will have. If we can put some heat on him.. If we can remotely stop the Run game..

broncosfanscott
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM

That is why I am glad I live on the west coast.

Opening the season on the road..........what are the odds? :rolleyes: I hope the Broncos get to open at home sometime soon.

Nature Boy
04-01-2008, 03:15 AM

Wow! a double header on Monday Night and with the Broncos and Raiders... awesome!

BroncoBJ
04-01-2008, 03:33 AM
I'm stoked for this game. I might actually make it down in Cali for it. The only AFC West Stadium I havn't been too is in Oakland so that be a great one to go to. But it feels good to start the season off 1-0. :lol:

I hope they come out to play this year. Now I can't wait for the rest of the schedule to come out. :salute:

broncophan
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM

That's the problem.....we're not a good team..........:D.....we need all the help we can get....and opening on the road is not help.....but oh well.....we gotta play 8 at home and 8 on the road.....so what the hell......

powderaddict
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Nothing like coming to work tired and hung-over :beer:!

Add flying high from watching the Broncos kick the living poo out of the raiders, and we have ourselves a very good day! :salute:

I'm pretty happy about this. This could be a great way to kick off the season.

Italianmobstr7
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't think the will lie down, they flat will not be prepared for it.. IMO This may be al davis's super bowl this year..

Ryan had the defense going pretty good last year one of the top rated pass defenses, IIRC since Ryan is related to buddy who we fired that is just more reason for them to whoop up on us..

The only think that remains to be seen is what kinda QB they will have. If we can put some heat on him.. If we can remotely stop the Run game..

No he didn't. Their defense actually DECLINED last year. It was the year before that they were very good. I don't think that they're going to have any extra motivation to want to beat us, then we're going to have on them. Even with all of the guys they've signed they still don't scare me. They're this years Washington Redskins. They sign a lot of free agents to HUGE deals, and it's going to get them no where. Honestly, I don't see how they can afford a top 5 draft pick after all the signings they made.

G_Money
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Jr...they were top 10 against the pass because they were next-to-last against the run. We were a top-10 passing defense too - because it was always 3rd and 2 since we couldn't stop the run.

We're a top-10 running team even with idiots and 3rd stringers running the ball. The additions they've made have been mostly an aid to the passing defense, which was already okay. Now they might be a legit top-10 pass defense. But we're gonna be trying to stuff the ball down their throat all day and they haven't shown they can stop that yet.

Unless they figure out how to stop the run again with a new set of DTs (and Kalimba Edwards can somehow be their answer to their pitiful sack problem of just 27 last year) I just don't see how dominating this defense is. Great corners? Yes. Interesting talent? Yes. I like Ryan as a defensive coach and I think in time he'll probably build something dangerous there. They seem to be stocking up on defensive talent with an eye toward making him the HC after Kiffin leaves.

But why would you think that the Raiders D would be instantly deadly while the Broncos O would be pitiful? I mean I know we were pitiful to start last year at the outset but USUALLY we start the season exceedingly fast, and usually due to offensive explosions.

And unlike Ryan, we'll have the element of surprise out of the gate. Whatever D we're running isn't gonna be like The Bates Defense.

Whether it'll be good or not is up for argument...:coffee: But at least it'll be different.

~G

Magnificent Seven
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
TALK IS CHEAP. Look at Broncos' previous records. We used to talk trash about the Dolphins, Rams, and Bills in season 2005, 2006, and 2007. "Oh, I think Broncos will beat them. Blah Blah Blah." Broncos have lost to the Dolphins and Rams on opening day. Last season, Bills were almost beat our team on opening day. Moreover, the raiders have won over Broncos in Oakland. I would rather to see them kicking their asses than talking.

However, I agreed with you. It would be a good game on Monday Night Football. I am glad that Broncos and Raiders game are back on Monday Night Football. GO BRONCOS!

Lonestar
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Jr...they were top 10 against the pass because they were next-to-last against the run. We were a top-10 passing defense too - because it was always 3rd and 2 since we couldn't stop the run.

We're a top-10 running team even with idiots and 3rd stringers running the ball. The additions they've made have been mostly an aid to the passing defense, which was already okay. Now they might be a legit top-10 pass defense. But we're gonna be trying to stuff the ball down their throat all day and they haven't shown they can stop that yet.

Unless they figure out how to stop the run again with a new set of DTs (and Kalimba Edwards can somehow be their answer to their pitiful sack problem of just 27 last year) I just don't see how dominating this defense is. Great corners? Yes. Interesting talent? Yes. I like Ryan as a defensive coach and I think in time he'll probably build something dangerous there. They seem to be stocking up on defensive talent with an eye toward making him the HC after Kiffin leaves.

But why would you think that the Raiders D would be instantly deadly while the Broncos O would be pitiful? I mean I know we were pitiful to start last year at the outset but USUALLY we start the season exceedingly fast, and usually due to offensive explosions.

And unlike Ryan, we'll have the element of surprise out of the gate. Whatever D we're running isn't gonna be like The Bates Defense.

Whether it'll be good or not is up for argument...:coffee: But at least it'll be different.

~G

Well my gut feel without the benefit of the draft outcome, Jun 1 cuts and Denver's history of sucking on opening day coupled with how much davis hate mikey. Still tends me to lean to this being a big time loss..

Hopefully I'm wrong here but I've been pretty good at prognosticating season W-L records.

Right now this is a BIG loss for us..

Timmy!
04-01-2008, 02:58 PM

I can hardly wait..

Didn't the Faiders almost fire Ryan in January because of "slipping performance?"

I think Jrwiz should have a Lance Armstrong avatar. It would make me a lot more comfortable.

Lonestar
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Didn't the Faiders almost fire Ryan in January because of "slipping performance?"

I think Jrwiz should have a Lance Armstrong avatar. It would make me a lot more comfortable.

If they did he is still listed on their web site..

Rob Ryan

Defensive Coordinator; born December 13, 1962, Ardmore, Okla. Linebacker Oklahoma State 1984, Southwestern Oklahoma State 1985-86. No pro playing experience. College coach: Western Kentucky 1987, Ohio State 1988, Tennessee State 1989-1993, Hutchinson (Kan.) C.C. 1996, Oklahoma State 1997-99. Pro coach: Arizona Cardinals 1994-95, New England Patriots 2000-03, joined Raiders in 2004.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/coaches?coaType=head&team=OAK

Davis was trying to get kiffin to leave, to give the job to Ryan. If you have more info on his departure post a link.. :lol:

Devilspawn
04-01-2008, 06:53 PM

Ryan wanted to go to the Jets, which Kiffin wanted because of that slippage, but Ryan had a year left on his contract. Al Davis used his muscle to block the move to the Jets and keep Ryan one more year. It was one of the first moves that started the Davis-Kiffin riff.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
we better kick their friggin asses.

Bronco9798
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Absolutely no excuse to not win this game, and this being said in April. Even if the Raiders inprove this season, the Broncos have a better team already position by position.

BANJOPICKER1
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
That's the problem.....we're not a good team..........:D.....we need all the help we can get....and opening on the road is not help.....but oh well.....we gotta play 8 at home and 8 on the road.....so what the hell......
We didnt seem that great at home last year either..:D
This year will be different!!!
GOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:

Timmy!
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
If they did he is still listed on their web site..

Rob Ryan

Defensive Coordinator; born December 13, 1962, Ardmore, Okla. Linebacker Oklahoma State 1984, Southwestern Oklahoma State 1985-86. No pro playing experience. College coach: Western Kentucky 1987, Ohio State 1988, Tennessee State 1989-1993, Hutchinson (Kan.) C.C. 1996, Oklahoma State 1997-99. Pro coach: Arizona Cardinals 1994-95, New England Patriots 2000-03, joined Raiders in 2004.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/coaches?coaType=head&team=OAK

Davis was trying to get kiffin to leave, to give the job to Ryan. If you have more info on his departure post a link.. :lol:

I said "almost" fired, not FIRED. Which would mean he's still a Raider. Guess that might be why he's on their website. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177174

Obviously, this never happened and was possiblely the start of the Kiffin/David feud. Just figured you'd enjoy the link... :rolleyes:

Stargazer
04-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm glad the Broncos are on MNF opening day weekend. Looking forward to it!