PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys, Broncos likely to camp together again

claymore
03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Cowboys, Broncos likely to camp together again
Deal is in works for Dallas to pay Dove Valley visit
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
Monday, March 31, 2008

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones are expected to finalize an agreement this week for the teams to practice together for at least two days in training camp this year.

As soon the teams are notified of the August date for the preseason game, they are expected to make the practice schedule. But it is expected to fall within the first two preseason games for both teams.

The league has not yet notified teams of the league's preseason schedule; for any team with a four-game preseason schedule like the Broncos have, the NFL sets three games and each team gets to negotiate with another team for the fourth. The Cowboys would work against the Broncos for two days at the team's Dove Valley complex in Englewood.

The preseason schedule is expected to be finalized at the league meetings this week. The meetings officially begin this morning with a presentation from commissioner Roger Goodell.

Shanahan said Sunday he expected to have the preseason schedule before these meetings were over.

The Broncos traveled to Irving, Texas, in August for two days of combined workouts with the Cowboys leading to an Aug. 18 preseason game at Texas Stadium, the Broncos' second of four preseason games last season.

The teams had one-on-one work against each other - that included receivers going against defensive backs and pass rushers going against offensive linemen - with some contact.

Shanahan and Cowboys coach Wade Phillips had stressed to their teams they wanted hard practices without any on-field brawls that often had erupted in similar practices around the league. Phillips even had said, "I've seen where these things can become melees."

But the teams practiced without incident; the closest thing to a skirmish was when Broncos defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban and Cowboys tackle Marc Colombo briefly grabbed each other's face mask after a play before quickly being separated, which was the impetus for doing it again this year.

It will be the third time in the past three seasons Shanahan has had the Broncos practice with another team leading to a preseason game.

The team went to Houston in 2006 to practice against the Texans.

Broncos training camp practices have been free and open to the public, with parking having been available on a lot adjacent to their complex.

It is not yet known if they would have to take any measures to limit attendance on any day they practiced against the Cowboys because of parking concerns or extremely limited seating around their practice fields.

This is good news. If our Run D sucks right away, I know its going to be another long year.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
I hope Brandon Marshall doesn't hang out with Pac Man Jones while they are together.

HolyDiver
03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
I wished they would switch picks while they are at it.

r8rh8r
03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Phillips and Shanahan just didn't get enough of each other in the 1990's.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Cowboys are a good team for us to practice against because of their talent as well as the 3-4 defense they play.

NightTrainLayne
03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, OK.

Just NO CRYING if the Cowboys beat us up in the pre-season game again.

claymore
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Well, OK.

Just NO CRYING if the Cowboys beat us up in the pre-season game again.At least we wont be waiting on the "Gel" to happen, we will know we suck right away, if indeed that is the case. :laugh:

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, OK.

Just NO CRYING if the Cowboys beat us up in the pre-season game again.

I remember John Lynch was very agry at the Cowboys because they broke some of the rules of practice and he thought they played dirty. Hopefully the Broncos don't take this practice for granted and actually play hard like they are suppose to.

NightTrainLayne
03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I remember John Lynch was very agry at the Cowboys because they broke some of the rules of practice and he thought they played dirty. Hopefully the Broncos don't take this practice for granted and actually play hard like they are suppose to.

I was really surprised at John Lynch's comments last year, and I assumed right off the bat that the Cowboys must have really been in the wrong, and took advantage of our vanilla defensive scheme to make themselves look good.

I assumed this because of the huge amount of respect I have for John Lynch.

We all know what happens when you assume things.

Obviously, after watching the season unfold, the Cowboys didn't take advantage of a vanilla scheme. They took advantage of a porous, weak, uninspired defense.

pnbronco
03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
At least we wont be waiting on the "Gel" to happen, we will know we suck right away, if indeed that is the case. :laugh:

Good point CM, it really did show what the season was going to look like. I hope it's open, would like to go down there.

Ziggy
03-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I think it's great for the Broncos. Last year the Cowboys tore up our offensive and defensive lines in both practice and the preseason game. Denver was mahandled and dominated. It was a sign of things to come for both teams. I think now we are going to find out real early if our offensive and defensive lines have improved, or if it's going to be another long season.

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I hope they take a good look at Bobby Carpenter, I still think we should trade for him.

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Well At last I'll be able to get some Bronco new in the local paper I'll be hearing the other side however.. They will paint Americas team and discredit the Broncos as usual.

But then again they just might be telling the truth about how bad the Broncos might be..

Ryan has Zero love lost on the Broncos,, so look for them pouring on the coals..

Since I have even less confidence in slo's defensive prowess than I did for Bates or coyers this may be another loooong season..

Bronco9798
03-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Can we not use the word "Gel" this year. I hate that word. I'm still waiting for the "Gelling" that everyone was talking about last year that never happened.

NightTrainLayne
03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Can we not use the word "Gel" this year. I hate that word. I'm still waiting for the "Gelling" that everyone was talking about last year that never happened.

Niner, if you'd quit bringing it up we could all just forget about it. ;) :D

Bronco9798
03-31-2008, 01:25 PM
You guys killed me last year with that stupid word..:-)

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 01:29 PM
So is this like when Niner and Beef went camping?

Timmy!
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM
http://blogs.sun.com/mountaingirl/resource/RastaGel.JPG

Just for 9er :D

MHCBill
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Would you prefer, "It's all part of the plan."?

I believe that was a slogan you introuduced us to back in '06.

pnbronco
03-31-2008, 04:31 PM

So Niner are we just one player away from the Broncos ______ , ummmm, well, hummm being good???? Just couldn't help myself...: :D :D elefant:

DenBronx
04-01-2008, 01:24 AM
we got tooled last time we practiced with them.

broncosfanscott
04-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Maybe we will learn something this time. I just hope we don't get blown out this time around.