PDA

View Full Version : Royals 08 Thread

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, for me and cswil...I believe the only Royals fans on the board.

MLB.com's preview...

Royals Opening Day outlook
Team faces uphill battle in ultra-competitive AL Central
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

Manager Trey Hillman is trying to bring a new dawn to the Royals from his successful experience in the Land of the Rising Sun. One thing he brings with him is the reputation of springing the unexpected on unsuspecting opponents.

Fans will want to watch for that. And they'll want to watch the thrust of power that slugger Jose Guillen promises to bring to the lineup. He's expected to bat in the cleanup spot behind Alex Gordon, the third baseman who elevated his game marvelously last season and is seen as a guiding light for a rather young team.

The pitching rotation, headed by Gil Meche with Brian Bannister and Zack Greinke alongside, looks much sturdier and the bullpen has considerable depth. The defense should be a strong point.

For the Royals, it all comes down to pumping life into an offense that last season scored the second-fewest runs in the American League. If Guillen brings along his usual production, Gordon, David DeJesus, Mark Teahen and Billy Butler should provide enough extra oomph to cure the run anemia.

Calling card
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/gameday/mugshots/mlb/115229.jpg
Guillen

Knowing Guillen can't do everything, Hillman wants to exploit some small-ball tactics. The bunt, hit-and-run and stolen base are weapons that he'd like to develop as a signature of his first Major League club. There'll be no sitting back and waiting for a three-run homer.

Achilles' Heel
The bullpen shapes up as formidable but is it really? Did Joakim Soria just get lucky as a rookie closer? Can Yasuhiko Yabuta make the transition from Japan at 34? Will Ron Mahay continue his two-year rise or slip to 2005 form? If the back end of the 'pen breaks down, it could be a long season.

You'll know they're rollin' if ...
Meche, unlike last year, gets some runs scored for him and a lot of them come from Guillen's bat.

You'll know they're in trouble if ...
They get off to another terrible start. In the past four Aprils, the Royals' cumulative record is 26-67, and they've finished last in each of those seasons.

Testing, testing
Starting on Day 1, the Royals have a three-game series with powerful division rival Detroit. They'll see what they're made of very early.

Interleague Play
Two playoff clubs, Colorado and Arizona, are on the docket this year. On the other hand, so are two last-place clubs, Florida and San Francisco. So that seems to be a competitive wash. As for St. Louis, that's always a heated, unpredictable Missouri war.

The Bottom Line
There's no doubt the Royals have improved just as there's no doubt they play in what might be the game's toughest division. They'll have to be much more than just a bit better to keep up.

Projected starting lineup
1. CF David DeJesus
2. 2B Mark Grudzielanek
3. 3B Alex Gordon
4. RF Jose Guillen
5. DH Billy Butler
6. LF Mark Teahen
7. 1B Ross Gload
8. C John Buck
9. SS Tony Pena Jr.
Projected rotation
1. RHP Gil Meche
2. RHP Brian Bannister
3. RHP Zack Greinke
4. LHP John Bale
5. RHP Brett Tomko
Projected bullpen
Closer: RHP Joakim Soria
Setup: RHP Yasuhiko Yabuta
Setup: LHP Ron Mahay
Middle: LHP Jimmy Gobble
Middle: RHP Ramon Ramirez
Long: RHP Leo Nunez

Rex
03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
I am trying hard to believe in this rotation.

Optimistic about the lineup.

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
ESPN Fantasy Projections:

PLAYER B POS AB HR RBI SB AVG OBP SLG
David DeJesus L CF 555 8 58 8 .274 .356 .404
M. Grud R 2B 489 7 53 2 .301 .342 .421
Mark Teahen L LF 483 9 56 11 .263 .331 .406
Jose Guillen R RF 545 29 100 3 .279 .339 .492
Ross Gload L 1B 314 6 45 4 .280 .313 .417
Billy Butler R DH 554 14 90 0 .300 .356 .458
Alex Gordon L 3B 575 22 70 16 .280 .350 .485
John Buck R C 361 16 48 0 .230 .304 .416
Tony Pena R SS 300 3 25 2 .253 .276 .350
OFF THE BENCH
Esteban German R INF 324 4 36 10 .287 .375 .410
Joey Gathright L OF 264 0 23 14 .284 .349 .326

ROTATION T POS G IP W SV K ERA WHIP
Gil Meche R SP1 33 197 10 0 144 4.07 1.37
B. Bannister R SP2 26 143 9 0 69 4.66 1.40
Zack Greinke R SP3 55 186 10 0 147 3.92 1.32
Brett Tomko R SP4 42 80 3 0 59 5.18 1.44
Jorge DLR L SP5 21 83 5 0 61 5.75 1.72
BULLPEN
Joakim Soria R Closer 60 73 2 30 77 2.71 1.04

Obviously, they make their projections before teams make final decision on roster and pitching lineup, as JDLR is still in the rotation here...

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
I am trying hard to believe in this rotation.

Optimistic about the lineup.

About the same here. What are the chances Bannister and Meche repeat decent years? AND Zack Greinke comes around, AND Tomko eats innings without losing games, AND John Bale can start in the big leagues...I would probably have to say that Bannister and Meche are decent, Greinke emerges and Bale and Tomko are out of the lineup by June, if not May.

Rex
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
About the same here. What are the chances Bannister and Meche repeat decent years? AND Zack Greinke comes around, AND Tomko eats innings without losing games, AND John Bale can start in the big leagues...I would probably have to say that Bannister and Meche are decent, Greinke emerges and Bale and Tomko are out of the lineup by June, if not May.

Bale and Tomko are keeping the seat warm. May, maybe.

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Bale and Tomko are keeping the seat warm. May, maybe.

If Hochevar can deliver at all, he's in that rotation by June, I would think.

CoachChaz
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm not buying that kind of production by Guillen

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not buying that kind of production by Guillen

Whoa...yeah, 29 HRs, I didn't notice that at first. Not at Kauffman.

CoachChaz
03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Whoa...yeah, 29 HRs, I didn't notice that at first. Not at Kauffman.

29 and 100 seems excessive for him at this stage in his career...especially in KC

Rex
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
29 and 100 seems excessive for him at this stage in his career...especially in KC

Depends on Gordon and Butler hitting around him.

CoachChaz
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Depends on Gordon and Butler hitting around him.

Put Ryan Howard and A-Rod around him and I'm betting he doesn't hit 29 HR's...IMO

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
LOL...Cabrera with an error to start off...

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
DeJesus hurt...Gathright replaced him in the third.

Rex
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
1-0

MHCBill
03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
There is no possible way the Royals win 70+ games this year... they stink!

MOtorboat
03-31-2008, 04:06 PM

OK...whatever...

Meche wins 12
Greinke wins 12
Bannister wins 12

(All doable, and that's 36 wins right there)

You get a total of 24 wins out of No. 4 and No. 5...doable...That's 60...you get 10 wins here and there, which we already have one out of Nunez...

Yes, the Royals can win 70 games.

Rex
03-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Dont be surprised Bill. Dont be surprised. If the bullpen is decent, I think they win 70

MHCBill
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Fellas, aint' happening.

At best they win 70... they have the worst offense in the AL and at best mediocre pitching.

I love Butler and Gordon and they have some other youngsters coming along, but their #4 hitter wouldn't hit in the top six of almost every AL team.

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
He could bat clean-up for my team

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Frankly, it's kind of a dumb statement to say the guy can't hit in the middle of the order, considering he's been doing it for the last 10 years.

Opening day position in lineup for Jose Guillen
2008, Royals 4th
2007, Mariners, 6th
2006, Nationals, 3rd
2005, Nationals, 4th
2004, Angels, 6th
2003, Reds, 5th (pinch hit opening day)
2002, Diamondbacks, 4th
2001, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
2000, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
1999, Pirates, 7th
1998, Pirates, 6th
1997, Pirates, 7th

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Great article by Posnanski this morning...I know he can be a bit of a shill sometimes, but he's a good writer, and I think this sums up how I feel about yesterday's game pretty well.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/554993.html

Royals win by playing it Hillman’s way
By JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star

DETROIT | The first second-guessable decision of Trey Hillman’s major-league career happened in the eighth inning on opening day. The Royals were up one run in Detroit against the team many believe to be the best in baseball. Hillman sent Brett Tomko back out to the mound.

Understand: Brett Tomko has played for seven teams the last nine years (and the San Diego Padres twice). Brett Tomko was released in the middle of last season, in no small part because his record was 2-11, and his ERA was 5.80. Brett Tomko this spring had a 7.23 ERA, which is what can happen when you give up 31 hits in 18 2/3 innings.

Brett Tomko gave up the game-tying home run in that eighth inning.

“We really wanted someone out there with experience,” Hillman would say. Any manager would have said the same. The difference was that Hillman had this sly little smile when he said it.

That smile was good to see. To me, the smile said: “Hey, I’m going to do what I believe.” The smile said, “You know what? I’m going to be wrong a whole lot in my life.” The smile said, “I believe in Brett Tomko; he’s my pitcher.”

Hillman seems to get it. He will make many, many decisions like this during his managing career, decisions that (when they fail) will spur talk-show hosts to screeching and send fans with their forehead veins popping to the chat boards and cause newspaper columnists to hit computer keyboards so hard that letters pop out. That’s part of the manager’s job.

But there’s also this: Despite what some like to think, decisions like this will not make or break Trey Hillman as the Royals’ manager. He was not hired to outsmart Detroit’s Jim Leyland and Boston’s Terry Francona and Cleveland’s Eric Wedge. He was not hired because he has some sort of innate baseball wisdom that will prevent him from making baseball moves that fail.

No. The Royals won the game Monday 5-4. They won in 11 innings, their first opening day extra-innings win in 36 years. And though it’s only one game, you could see in just the one game what Trey Hillman brings.

The Royals won because, even down three runs early to Detroit’s ace Justin Verlander, the hitters kept battling. Alex Gordon hit a monster two-run homer that got the Royals back into it. A bloop single in the 11th inning by Tony Peņa scored the winning run.

“We’re going to keep scrapping,” Hillman would say.

The Royals won the game because of three fabulous defensive plays — a great throw by right fielder Jose Guillen (nailed Magglio Ordoņez at the plate), a terrific catch of a line drive by second baseman Mark Grudzielanek (even though his hand had been hit by a pitch and it hurt so much he could barely close the glove) and a diving play to finish things off by third baseman Alex Gordon.

“Great defense is at the center of what we’re trying to do,” Hillman would say.

The Royals won the game because of a solid performance by starter Gil Meche. They call six innings, three runs a “quality start” in today’s baseball world, and while old-timers who grew up watching war horses like Juan Marichal and Robin Roberts may mock that, the truth is that is a quality start against a lineup as good as Detroit’s.

They won the game because of five excellent innings of bullpen work, two of those innings by Tomko (the homer was the only run he allowed), two scoreless innings by Leo Nuņez, and the save by Joakim Soria.

“Gutsy pitching,” Hillman would say. “Team effort.”

In other words, the Royals won the game by being exactly the kind of team that Trey Hillman is trying to build in Kansas City. Tough. Sound. Scrappy. Sure, it’s pretty to think that good managers can outsmart bad ones, that well-timed-pitching changes and ingenious hit-and-run hunches lead teams to victory. Sometimes, they do. Mostly, they don’t. Baseball isn’t chess; it isn’t even football. Bad teams win four out of 10.

Hillman seems to embrace this, even after only one major-league game. That’s a good sign. As for the particulars of Hillman Game No. 1: He was nervous for the game, but not quite as nervous as he had expected. He stopped to look around at the atmosphere (“It was really cool,” he said), but after five years of managing in Japan, where baseball is frenzy, he did not feel overwhelmed. He saved a baseball, the lineup card and a ticket stub from the game. But he did not seem especially joyous after the victory.

“It was a good day,” he said in the same even voice in which he says most things.

When a reporter tried to canonize him for hitting Gordon third in the lineup, Hillman quickly said, “I’m not going to take credit for that.” When another tried to praise him for his managing hunches, Hillman shook his head. “I don’t play hunches too often,” he said.

And when he was second-guessed about letting Tomko pitch the eighth inning, he offered that smile. For the record, I was the one second-guessing him. I didn’t understand why he sent Tomko out there for the eighth inning — still don’t. Tomko is the Royals’ fifth starter, not their opening-day setup man. I was grumbling like any fan when Tomko gave up the tying home run. I figured, maybe you did too, that the Royals would lose.

Then the Royals won. It was a very good win. It was the sort of hard-fought, determined, late-inning, comeback victory that the Royals have lacked in recent years. It was the sort of win that reminds you that while it’s fun to talk strategy, teams win by getting on base and finding ways to score runs and minimizing damage and dropping in a key hit or two and stealing a few outs here and there with a nice play.

“I’m proud of how unselfishly we played,” Hillman said. “And I’m proud that when we were down, nobody panicked. And, you know, I get it, I know that we got lucky, too.”

He flashed that sly smile again.

“Hey, luck’s a part of this great game,” he said.

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 08:20 AM
:D

http://www.kansascity.com/static/images/033108_ROYALSvsDETROIT_final/images/ROYDET_SP_20080331_SLK_505F.jpg

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Gordon did smoke that ball.

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Gordon did smoke that ball.

He also has that stupid grin that a lot of stars have when they make plays (Elway...). He's a cool customer, too. We've got high hopes for him up here.

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
He also has that stupid grin that a lot of stars have when they make plays (Elway...). He's a cool customer, too. We've got high hopes for him up here.

...until he comes up in a contract year. Damon, Dye, Beltran.....

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
...until he comes up in a contract year. Damon, Dye, Beltran.....

We'll see.

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
We'll see.

Hopefully they can keep him. I get tired of seeing mid market teams becoming ML farm systems for the richer teams.

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Hopefully they can keep him. I get tired of seeing mid market teams becoming ML farm systems for the richer teams.

I'm not worried so much about him, I think he signs a five or six year deal here in the near future, worth quite a bit. He's from Lincoln, he really did grow up watching the Royals.

I'm worried about keeping guys like Butler, Teahen, DeJesus. They have no Midwest ties, Butler is from Florida, Teahen Canada via California, DeJesus New York.

I think John Buck likes it here, I think he stays for a while. Then you've got Greinke, and man, who knows with that dude. Meche is here for this year and three more years. Bannister's father pitched here, so he may stay.

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't buy into the hometown BS. Mark Teixiera is from a suburb of Baltimore and grew up a huge Orioles fan. He raised a bit of a stink last year when he said he rooted for the Orioles against everyone except the Rangers...which now, I guess it's everyone in the AL, period. He's an FA after this year, but let's see if he signs in Baltimore or gets swayed by the big money of a Boston or NY. My bet is he ends up a Yankee.

MHCBill
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Frankly, it's kind of a dumb statement to say the guy can't hit in the middle of the order, considering he's been doing it for the last 10 years.

Opening day position in lineup for Jose Guillen
2008, Royals 4th
2007, Mariners, 6th
2006, Nationals, 3rd
2005, Nationals, 4th
2004, Angels, 6th
2003, Reds, 5th (pinch hit opening day)
2002, Diamondbacks, 4th
2001, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
2000, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
1999, Pirates, 7th
1998, Pirates, 6th
1997, Pirates, 7th
Wow!... Those were some powerhouse line-ups!!!

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Wow!... Those were some powerhouse line-ups!!!

Well, clearly, you're not going to discuss anything and just want to rag on the Royals, so I'll drop it.

The guy has 166 big league home runs. He's not a complete hack.

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
1997 - Rookie, lineup with Kevin Young, Al Martin, Jason Kendall
1998 - lineup with Kevin Young, Al Martin, Jason Kendall
1999 - lineup with Kevin Young, Al Martin, Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, Ed Sprague
2000 - Lineup with Greg Vaughn, McGriff, Gerald Williams, Castilla, Canseco
2001 - Lineup with Greg Vaughn, McGriff
2002 - Not big numbers in a lineup with Steve Finlry and Luis Gonzalez
2003 - Hit .337 with 23 HR in a line-up with Griffey and Dunn
2004 - 27 HR in a lineup with Vlad Guerrero, Garrett Anderson and Try Glaus
2005 - Weak Nationals lineup
2006 - In a lineup with Soriano, Zimmerman and Johnson
2007 - In a lineup with Sexson, Ibanez and Beltre

I wouldn't say these are the best teams in baseball history, but far from the weakest lineups.

MHCBill
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
He's not a complete hack, but he hardly puts fear into the opposing pitcher... so to speak.

I mean, if he's any team's #4 hitter that just tells me that team has a very, very poor offense.

Again, I don't think the Royals have a shot winning over 70 games. Just an opinion...

Maybe if they play the O's every other week! Right Coach?

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
He's not a complete hack, but he hardly puts fear into the opposing pitcher... so to speak.

I mean, if he's any team's #4 hitter that just tells me that team has a very, very poor offense.

Again, I don't think the Royals have a shot winning over 70 games. Just an opinion...

Maybe if they play the O's every other week! Right Coach?

They could win 100 if they played the O's all the time. Kevin Millar is our clean up hitter. He makes Guillen look like Ryan Howard

MHCBill
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Man, the O's were fun to watch in the mid to late 90's... Palmerio, Alomar, Ripken, Mussina, Anderson...

CoachChaz
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Man, the O's were fun to watch in the mid to late 90's... Palmerio, Alomar, Ripken, Mussina, Anderson...

...Bonilla, Hoiles, Surhoff, Bordick, Hammonds, Baines, Davis, Belle, Segui

Or as I like to refer to them...The Roidioles

MHCBill
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I wonder if there was a COSTCO for steroids in the Baltimore area?

MOtorboat
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Clearly, the Royals didn't take enough.

keithbishop
04-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Great game Monday. The Royals are my 2nd favorite team (1st is the mean, nasty, evil, despicable, and very uncouth Yankees). I've followed the Royals dating back to their heated rivalry with my Yankees when my grandpa (R.I.P. -- HUGE Royals fan) and I watched many, many, many games together.

My son and I will be at the Royals/White Sox game August 3rd and the Royals/ red soxgame August 4th.

I'm not happy that the Yankees only visit during the school year (and not on a weekend, or we could have went to a game or 2), but it will be cool to root for the Royals.

The Royals pen should be strong this season and I'm OK with the offense. Get Hochevar up and I like the rotation.

Too busy following the Yankees minor leaguers to keep up with KC's.... what other prospects might break through with the Royals this season?

Minor league regular season starts Thursday. I watch a lot of AAA games and listen to AA games when possible. Nothing better than watching kids in AAA, then seeing them deliver in the majors.

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 07:25 AM
I wonder if there was a COSTCO for steroids in the Baltimore area?

Sure was...it was owned by David Segui who later sold it to Miguel Tejada

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Random question

I was always a big Palmeiro fan all of his career and to this day, i really find it hard to believe that he was a steroid user. Considering that Tejada was named in Canseco's first book and how many Orioles have nee busted lately...does anyone think it just might be possible that Raffy was telling the truth when he said he was given the steroids from Tejada without his knowing and that Miggy saying it was a vitamin B12 shot is a load if crap? Just curious what the baseball world thinks.

Rex
04-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Random question

I was always a big Palmeiro fan all of his career and to this day, i really find it hard to believe that he was a steroid user. Considering that Tejada was named in Canseco's first book and how many Orioles have nee busted lately...does anyone think it just might be possible that Raffy was telling the truth when he said he was given the steroids from Tejada without his knowing and that Miggy saying it was a vitamin B12 shot is a load if crap? Just curious what the baseball world thinks.

It is crap. He knew. They all knew. It was ACCEPTED at the time.

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
I know it was accepted at first, but I mean for him to get busted right after being on on capitol hill. Just seemed a little stupid and risky. Not to mention...I've met the guy quite a few times...NOTHING about him says RoidHead.

MOtorboat
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
:focus:

:D

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 07:38 AM
BTW Andy...I tild DC you said HI and he said he missed you and was looking forward to another foot massage. Not sure what that means, but I told him I'd tell you.

Rex
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
I know it was accepted at first, but I mean for him to get busted right after being on on capitol hill. Just seemed a little stupid and risky. Not to mention...I've met the guy quite a few times...NOTHING about him says RoidHead.

500 HR screams roidhead.

MOtorboat
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
BTW Andy...I tild DC you said HI and he said he missed you and was looking forward to another foot massage. Not sure what that means, but I told him I'd tell you.

I like getting my feet rubbed. I guess he likes giving foot massages. Who am I to discriminate?

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 07:45 AM
500 HR screams roidhead.

Does it? 19 ML seasons, retired when he was 40 and ONLY because of the suspension. 569 career HR.

Does that mean EVERYONE in the 500 club was/is a roidhead?

Rex
04-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Does it? 19 ML seasons, retired when he was 40 and ONLY because of the suspension. 569 career HR.

Does that mean EVERYONE in the 500 club was/is a roidhead?

Most of the recent 500 HR guys probably are.

CoachChaz
04-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Most of the recent 500 HR guys probably are.

I would tend to agre with you in general, but I think that's a thought process that us fans have to try to avoid. While I don't doubt that there are a fair share of top players over the last 25 years that had nice careers while using the drug...I don't want to assume that ALL of them did.

MOtorboat
04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
2-0.

Rex
04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
2-0.

I wonder why my Fox Sports Midwest here in PBurg showed women's tennis today?

MOtorboat
04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I wonder why my Fox Sports Midwest here in PBurg showed women's tennis today?

Uh-oh, that could be a really bad sign. I watched the third-sixth on my lunch break.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't remember who thought it was 1953 (or whatever) when the Royals last went 2-0, but it was 2003. Also, 1953 would be impossible, since they were an expansion team in 1969.

MHCBill
04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
68 more wins to go...

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
68 more wins to go...

Only 62 if you're an Orioles fan

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 08:17 AM
68 more wins to go...

Yup, to eclipse 70. Good to see you pulled out the calculator for that one.

MHCBill
04-03-2008, 08:20 AM
No need to be hostile... just my humble prediction.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Gordo!

Home run No. 2!

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 01:40 PM
cs, you getting the game today on FSN?

Rex
04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
cs, you getting the game today on FSN?

Yes. I have no idea why I didnt yesterday.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Yes. I have no idea why I didnt yesterday.

Did you get to see Gordon's home run, I missed it...came home too late, but saw the replay.

Rex
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Did you get to see Gordon's home run, I missed it...came home too late, but saw the replay.

No. Missed it.

Rex
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
3-0

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't have my calculator handy, but I believe that's 67 to go.

Rex
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
You know that last time you posted that stupid broom, they lost about 11 straight.

Idiot.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
You know that last time you posted that stupid broom, they lost about 11 straight.

Idiot.

It was only up for 50 minutes. Maybe they will only lose one.

Rex
04-03-2008, 03:43 PM
It was only up for 50 minutes. Maybe they will only lose one.

You know you are now on the hook!

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
You know you are now on the hook!

I unjinxed the jinx, right.

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I unjinxed the jinx, right.

Somehow I don't think the Royals need a jinx to be bad.

Rex
04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Somehow I don't think the Royals need a jinx to be bad.

Please quit pissing on our campfire.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Insert,

"Yeah, if it was against the weak ______________, they'd win _____ games," comment from Coach.

Problem being, this is one of the teams picked to win it all.

CoachChaz
04-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Insert,

"Yeah, if it was against the weak ______________, they'd win _____ games," comment from Coach.

Problem being, this is one of the teams picked to win it all.

I only comment because I can relate. If the Orioles win more game than the Royals, then I'll stop being so negative. Today is the last day that we'll get to be at .500. The Royals will get at least a week of that.

Rex
04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Just got my opening day ticket.

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Just got my opening day ticket.

Where you at?

Rex
04-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Where you at?

I am not sure. My buddy that got them called and told me they are here. He always sells the season tickets and gets some from some of his printing vendors for opening day. Last year we were 4 rows behind the Royals dugout.

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I am not sure. My buddy that got them called and told me they are here. He always sells the season tickets and gets some from some of his printing vendors for opening day. Last year we were 4 rows behind the Royals dugout.

Wow...nice.

Our Opening Day tickets suck. We have the 20-game plan, so we don't always get our tickets for Opening Day. We're normally in 216, for Opening Day we're in 234.

Rex
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow...nice.

Our Opening Day tickets suck. We have the 20-game plan, so we don't always get our tickets for Opening Day. We're normally in 216, for Opening Day we're in 234.

So are you going Tuesday?

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
So are you going Tuesday?

Looks like it.

Rex
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Looks like it.

Uh Oh. You know what that means.:shocked:

BroncoBJ
04-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I've been to Kauffman stadium a few times. :elefant:

Heres a video from my view 2 summers ago when I was there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RA2Ad5tUhA&feature=PlayList&p=1DEE2AE827BAD057&index=1

not bad seats :salute:

I love all baseball stadiums though. My goal is to attend every MLB Ballpark. :salute:

And :eek: @ KC being the last undefeated team.

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I've been to Kauffman stadium a few times. :elefant:

Heres a video from my view 2 summers ago when I was there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RA2Ad5tUhA&feature=PlayList&p=1DEE2AE827BAD057&index=1

not bad seats :salute:

I love all baseball stadiums though. My goal is to attend every MLB Ballpark. :salute:

And :eek: @ KC being the last undefeated team.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I was at that game, sitting right behind you in the second deck...and I'm still pretty sure that was a strike.

BroncoBJ
04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty sure I was at that game, sitting right behind you in the second deck...and I'm still pretty sure that was a strike.

:lol: @ Pretty sure you were behind me. You could have been. It was August of 2006 and the Royals swept Boston so it was a great time. :elefant:

But since you go to 20 or so games a year chances are you were there as well.

I think Kauffman is probably one of my favorite stadiums though. Its a fun place to be at. :salute:

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
:lol: @ Pretty sure you were behind me. You could have been. It was August of 2006 and the Royals swept Boston so it was a great time. :elefant:

But since you go to 20 or so games a year chances are you were there as well.

I think Kauffman is probably one of my favorite stadiums though. Its a fun place to be at. :salute:

Not right behind you literally...I meant straight behind you in the second deck, that's where our season tix are. The second deck is great. All except for opening day, there are less lines for concessions and bathrooms...and on some weak nights, you are almost all by yourself.

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Uh Oh. You know what that means.:shocked:

Now that you said something, how much you want to bet that prices have gone up from $7?

Rex
04-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Now that you said something, how much you want to bet that prices have gone up from $7?

I think it will be $7. Wasnt it $6.50 last year?

Mo, Should I wear my Yankees Suck t shirt?

BroncoBJ
04-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Not right behind you literally...I meant straight behind you in the second deck, that's where our season tix are. The second deck is great. All except for opening day, there are less lines for concessions and bathrooms...and on some weak nights, you are almost all by yourself.

Yea I didn't think you were right behind me and able to touch my shoulders or anything. Thats pretty cool though. And I like the second deck a lot as well at most stadiums. You get a great view of everything. The thing that sucks about being down low is people always have to get up after every pitch to go do something and I'm constantly getting up for people. Sounds like you have great seats though. Second deck near first base/home is a pretty good view. And the cool thing about season tickets is you get the first right to playoff games. :elefant:

MOtorboat
04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I think it will be $7. Wasnt it $6.50 last year?

The 24-ouncers that we buy on the second deck (same old dude has worked there all five years, he's cool) were like $8 or $8.50 last year.

I think at the regular concessions they were already $7...I can't remember. Either way, its too damn much.

MOtorboat
04-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Nice win...3-1, good defense today. Billy mashed, 3-4, two doubles, both off the wall, plus a single that might be a double against anyone but Minnesota, their outfielders are fast.

Soria is a stud, 3 up, 3 down, all three strikeouts...

See ya Tuesday! Opening Day!

Watchthemiddle
04-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Nice win...3-1, good defense today. Billy mashed, 3-4, two doubles, both off the wall, plus a single that might be a double against anyone but Minnesota, their outfielders are fast.

Soria is a stud, 3 up, 3 down, all three strikeouts...

See ya Tuesday! Opening Day!

Nothing like watching a game at Kauffman stadium.

Royals are off to a good start.

Rex
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Better not punk me Midget.

MOtorboat
04-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Better not punk me Midget.

Do you like Boulevard?

Rex
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Do you like Boulevard?

Barely.

MOtorboat
04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Barely.

So its just Miller Lite for you, eh?

Rex
04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
So its just Miller Lite for you, eh?

Lord No. I would drink Boulevard instead of that crap.

MOtorboat
04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
The ROYALS Win!

Fuk the Yankees!

BroncoBJ
04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Good win again guys :salute:

Damn the Yankees offense is pretty much dead. You already have more wins vs the Yanks this year then last year. :(
Well if the Royals sweep us I wont care if we can sweep Boston. :elefant:

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Nothing better than watching NY and BOS lose.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Fuk the Yankees!

Nice.

Care to sign up for some lessons on how to show class?

What is the deal? You should be thrilled with the erformances of Bannister, Grienke, and the offense. Great series by the Royals.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Nice.

What is the deal? You should be thrilled with the erformances of Bannister, Grienke, and the offense. Great series by the Royals.

It's not my fault you're a ******* moron.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Nice.

Edited.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:36 PM
It's not my fault you're a ******* moron.

I have a 9 year old son who frequently reads along with me. This is a family site. I'd rip a Yankees fan via PM for making a pathetic post like that (10:14 PM last night).

I'm a ____________ moron because I'll only root for the Royals in 152 out of their 162 games this season?

Keep it up. You're looking better and better. :rolleyes:

BroncoBJ
04-10-2008, 11:36 PM
:lol: Poor MB is on the rag.
It sucks you couldn't sweep NY. :lol:

BroncoBJ
04-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I have a 9 year old son who frequently reads along with me. This is a family site. I'd rip a Yankees fan via PM for making a pathetic post like that (10:14 PM last night).

I'm a ____________ moron because I'll only root for the Royals in 152 out of their 162 games this season?

:lol: I guess if we swear then it makes us better fans?

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I love how you claim all this bullshit about being a non-Steinbrenner guy and a Royals fan. You're a ******* moron, who has no clue about the economics of baseball. Good job, you're a ******* idiot. who has no clue what money means to what team you root for. You are a typical idiot Yankees fan.

You are amazing.

Impossible to believe someone loves the sport more than his team.

Even more difficult to imagine the fact that the baseball years of my life were shared with my grandfather (R.I.P.), a KC baseball fan dating back to the debut of the A's. He hated Steinbrenner, but never showed your lack of class.

I have yet to show an ounce of disrespect for the Royals, nor will I ever. I followed them long before I started rooting for them.

Make sure to keep up the name calling, though. It demonstrates...... nothing, actually. Am I to be impressed?

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM

I love how you use your kid to get some sympathy...that's awesome.

I was very contempt to say nothing at all until you posted (my post was last night), so play the innocent victim. It's not my fault you decided to respond, so congrats on the "my 9-year-old was viewing" crap. Nothing like 24 hours until some idiot decides to log on, is there.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:42 PM
You are amazing.

Impossible to believe someone loves the sport more than his team.

Even more difficult to imagine the fact that the baseball years of my life were shared with my grandfather, a KC baseball fan dating back to the debut of the A's. He hated Steinbrenner, but never showed your lack of class.

I have yet to show an ounce for the Royals, nor will I ever. I followed them long before I started rooting for them.

Make sure to keep up the name calling, though. It demonstrates...... nothing, actually. Am I to be impressed?

I made the statement last night, not tonight, but you decided to talk shit tonight. Again, not my problem.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:44 PM
:lol: I guess if we swear then it makes us better fans?

Obviously.

Maybe if I start posting like that, I'll gain enough approval to be allowed to root for KC when they don't play the Yankees. ;)

Didn't know I had to sign up.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
I love how you use your kid to get some sympathy...that's awesome.

I was very contempt to say nothing at all until you posted (my post was last night), so play the innocent victim. It's not my fault you decided to respond, so congrats on the "my 9-year-old was viewing" crap. Nothing like 24 hours until some idiot decides to log on, is there.

Sympathy? LOL. Try reality.

Didn't happen to see the post last night.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Obviously.

Maybe if I start posting like that, I'll gain enough approval to be allowed to root for KC when they don't play the Yankees. ;)

Didn't know I had to sign up.

I'm sorry, I apologize for not being considerate to you viewing the internet and your eight year old. I'll try harder. My apologies.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I love how it's my fault his kid saw a bad word.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I made the statement last night, not tonight, but you decided to talk shit tonight. Again, not my problem.

Makes me wonder how you handle losing a series?

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Makes me wonder how you handle losing a series?

Again, I made a statement about the Yankees last night. I'm sorry your child saw that, that sux, but then again, it's not my fault you were viewing an internet message board with your child. I would never do that.

BroncoBJ
04-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I think this thread should be moved to the lounge so there can be no problems. :salute:
Then you guys can cuss like sailors. ;)
And KB's son does check by every once in a while though I'm sure hes sound asleep now anyways but still.

I'm usually happy every time my team takes 2 out of 3. I dont know why its so hostile in here.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I love how it's my fault his kid saw a bad word.

You typed it and know the rules as well as I do. I think this is a great site and it isn't too much to ask to keep language appropriate.... but, then again, I'm an idiot.
:rolleyes:

No big deal, I guess. Carry on.

Am I banned from rooting for thre Royals?

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
You typed it and know the rules as well as I do. I think this is a great site and it isn't too much to ask to keep language appropriate.... but, then again, I'm an idiot.

No big deal, I guess. Carry on.

Am I banned from rooting for thre Royals?

It wasn't moderated. That's not my problem. I'm sorry KB that your kid saw that, I really am, but you came off as a complete *******, so I responded accordingly.

BroncoBJ
04-10-2008, 11:54 PM
KB is probably one of the more classiest baseball fans I've come across :salute:
Maybe cause he likes the same team as mine?
I dont know.
I remember that LB guy last year got pissed when the Yanks beat Boston and thier division lead went from like 6 to 5 or something :lol:
And called KB every name in the book.
Thats what this reminds me of.

keithbishop
04-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I think this thread should be moved to the lounge so there can be no problems. :salute:
Then you guys can cuss like sailors. ;)
And KB's son does check by every once in a while though I'm sure hes sound asleep now anyways but still.

I'm usually happy every time my team takes 2 out of 3. I dont know why its so hostile in here.

No problem this way. I didn't appreciate it and didn't think it represented even a tiny bit of class. Mentioning it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

My son is a member of BTB and the crew loves it when he is in gameday threads. We spend a ton of time together and constantly watch/ listen to games together.

I'll make sure to avoid this site while he's awake. My mistake.

MOtorboat
04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
No problem this way. I didn't appreciate it and didn't think it represented even a tiny bit of class. Mentioning it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

My son is a member of BTB and the crew loves it when he is in gameday threads. We spend a ton of time together and constantly watch/ listen to games together.

I'll make sure to avoid this site while he's awake. My mistake.

Again, my apologies, I didn't expect younger children to be viewing a message board, because I would never let them do so. You don't have a problem with that, I guess. It was not moderated. You called me out, as if it's my fault, and you attacked me as if I was an *******. I do not take that lightly. If you've got a problem take it up with the mods. Don't call me out for something that was not moderated. It is, again, not my problem.

keithbishop
04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
It wasn't moderated. That's not my problem. I'm sorry KB that your kid saw that, I really am, but you came off as a complete *******, so I responded accordingly.

Look, I came into the thread to congratulate the Royals on winning the series. Meant to do so last night, but was tired after following a bunch of games and getting things organized for my daily updates of prospect stats starting Friday (don't worry... I'll only do so in the Yankees thread here if another Yankees fan requests it).

Tell you what, though, I'll continue to root for the Royals as my 2nd favorite team (the only pro sport I have a 2nd favorite) with or without your approval.

BroncoBJ
04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I guess informing someone that this is a family site and praising the Royals for a great series is calling someone out? :lol:

But its the internet. No need to catch feelings. :salute:

keithbishop
04-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Again, my apologies, I didn't expect younger children to be viewing a message board, because I would never let them do so. You don't have a problem with that, I guess. It was not moderated. You called me out, as if it's my fault, and you attacked me as if I was an *******. I do not take that lightly. If you've got a problem take it up with the mods. Don't call me out for something that was not moderated. It is, again, not my problem.

Again, he didn't see it, I was just glad he didn't.

I don't lock the door and ban him from spending time with me when I'm on the internet. There is no reason for me to do so. I won't be a member of a site which would make me want to do that. He has every bit as much of a right to be a sports fan as you or I do. I intended to check out this site in between innings tonight, but there was a potentially serious injury to our AAA starting pitcher and I was scrambling for info.

I said it lacked class. I didn't call you names, nor will I. I have nothing to gain by doing so.

OB
04-11-2008, 12:15 AM

Not taking sides - uhhh yeah thats it - but kb is THE all time BASEBALL legend of the boards - for most any team - never mind the Yanks and the Royals

Come on MO - this man gives me shiznit all the time cuz i hate arod - :lol:

seriously KB is the COOLEST ever and this thread shocked me :eek:

You would really like him if you got to know what the true depth of his baseball knowledge is - look at denverbroncos.com if u dont believe me :beer:

keithbishop
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
I guess informing someone that this is a family site and praising the Royals for a great series is calling someone out? :lol:

But its the internet. No need to catch feelings. :salute:

Just wait until it is discovered that I'm a huge fan of Grudzielanek and Teahen (Teahen is one hell of a nice guy) and think the Grudzielanek to Mientkiewicz 2B/1B combo in 2006 was the best defensively I've seen in years... perhaps ever.

Hope I didn't cross any lines there. ;)

BroncoBJ
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Again, he didn't see it, I was just glad he didn't.

I don't lock the door and ban him from spending time with me when I'm on the internet. There is no reason for me to do so. I won't be a member of a site which would make me want to do that. He has every bit as much of a right to be a sports fan as you or I do. I intended to check out this site in between innings tonight, but there was a potentially serious injury to our AAA starting pitcher and I was scrambling for info.

I said it lacked class. I didn't call you names, nor will I. I have nothing to gain by doing so.

You're a moron :lol:
You should call people names. It will help you get a good rep on the internet. :salute:

OB
04-11-2008, 12:18 AM
um yanks won 2nite - i still hate gayrod - lets move on :hand: :lol:

and homegrown non hitting pitcher had a tad to do with it :smile:

keithbishop
04-11-2008, 12:27 AM
um yanks won 2nite - i still hate gayrod - lets move on :hand: :lol:

and homegrown non hitting pitcher had a tad to do with it :smile:

Moving on........ and pulling for KC vs. Minnesota this weekend.

MOtorboat
04-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Hochevar to start today.

Rex
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Boy, the Royals cannot hit the ball.

MOtorboat
04-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Boy, the Royals cannot hit the ball.

Nope...they cannot :tsk:

Rex
04-21-2008, 08:25 AM

Well, at least the middle relief is terrible.

MOtorboat
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/584320.html

A beat story without a single quote. Good job Bob...:rolleyes:

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Provided the weather holds up, we could get close to 6 hours of Royals baseball on television tonight. Pre-game at 4:30, first game at 5...over around 7:30, pre-game for game 2, second game starting around 8, over at 10:30...post-game till 11.

Medford Bronco
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM

they must have watched the Dodgers play :sad:

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
they must have watched the Dodgers play :sad:

Nope...pretty sure its the other way around...we really only have three, maybe four big-league caliber sticks in the lineup...ok, maybe 5...

Everyone in LA CAN hit, they just aren't right now.

Medford Bronco
04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Nope...pretty sure its the other way around...we really only have three, maybe four big-league caliber sticks in the lineup...ok, maybe 5...

Everyone in LA CAN hit, they just aren't right now.

or have not for 5 years.

too many young guys mixed in with guys way past their primes.

Just my take, I could be wrong like I usually am :laugh:

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Sidney Freakin' Ponson has had two scoreless, hitless innings against the Royals to start today's game. :tsk:

MHCBill
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
How's my prediction looking?

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
How's my prediction looking?

Well, they are on pace to win 70 right now...so your "no possible way," prediction looks kind of stupid.

Medford Bronco
05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Do Amos Otis, George Brett, Dennis Leonard, Darryl Porter
and Willie Wilson still play for this team :D

Rex
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Do Amos Otis, George Brett, Dennis Leonard, Darryl Porter
and Willie Wilson still play for this team :D

Darryl Porter is dead.:tsk:

Medford Bronco
05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Darryl Porter is dead.:tsk:

I did not know that sorry :tape:

I apoligize if I offended

Joel
05-04-2008, 04:36 AM
I was wondering what a thread on a team from KC was doing in a Broncos forum. Mainly I just popped in to mention as an aside that, while I usually say, "Austin" because no one knows where I REALLY live, I am, in fact, in Liberty Hill, 30 miles N of Austin (and if that still makes no sense, check your new managers bio. ) Though when I think of sporting excellence in our little town I still think of the current two time defending 3A State Champ Panthers football team (perfect in '07!)

Carry on....

MHCBill
05-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Well, they are on pace to win 70 right now...so your "no possible way," prediction looks kind of stupid.

HOSTILE!!!

Rex
05-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I did not know that sorry :tape:

I apoligize if I offended

No offense taken. He had a drug problem. I was just saying.

CoachChaz
05-05-2008, 09:30 AM
No offense taken. He had a drug problem. I was just saying.

Also got himself a WS MVP award.

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm frustrated with my rehab, so I'm gonna make it worse...

Royals LHP Bale fractures pitching hand punching hotel door

CLEVELAND -- Kansas City Royals left-hander John Bale, already on the disabled list due to a tight shoulder, broke his pitching hand punching a door at the team's hotel Friday night.

A club spokesman said Bale informed team officials he had pain in his hand after arriving at Progressive Field for Saturday night's game against Cleveland. X-rays were taken during the game, revealing the fracture on the side of his hand.

Bale returned to Kansas City Sunday morning. He will be examined by team doctors, possibly as early as Monday.

Ironically, Bale was making progress with his shoulder problem and it was hoped he would come off the DL in the next few days. He threw a simulated game Friday and was due to throw live batting practice early in the week. Following Friday's throwing session, manager Trey Hillman was optimistic Bale was close to being activated.

But according to MLB.com, Hillman said the condition of Bale's arm worsened after the session, leading to frustration.

"Very unfortunate," Hillman said, according to the Web site. "He's embarrassed about it."

The 33-year-old Bale began the season in the rotation. He was 0-3 with a 7.63 earned run average, allowing 13 earned runs and 25 hits in 15 1/3 innings. The Royals planned to move Bale to the bullpen when he returned.

The Royals signed Bale following the 2006 season. He spent the 2004-2006 seasons pitching in Japan. Bale has also pitched for Toronto, Baltimore and Cincinnati. He is 3-6 with a 4.84 ERA in 56 career appearances.

For his part, Hillman was disappointed.

"I'm not pleased," said Hillman, according to MLB.com. "Players [must] think before they do things. They've got to think about how it's going to affect the rest of their team -- how it's going to affect their individual possibilities of being able to perform.

"It's very unfortunate. I hope there's something salvageable for him. But we'll just have to wait and see where it goes."

Rex
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Also got himself a WS MVP award.

1982. But he was a drug addict and died way too early.

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Thought I'd share...I'll add some more players to it at some point.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/RoyalsBackground.jpg

CoachChaz
05-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Make one with Royals batters facing Daniel Cabrera

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Make one with Royals batters facing Daniel Cabrera

That one would just be blank.

slim
05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
MB, what's the scoop on De La Rosa? He had one terrible outing and one pretty decent outing so far. You know anything about this guy?

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
MB, what's the scoop on De La Rosa? He had one terrible outing and one pretty decent outing so far. You know anything about this guy?

Be prepared for one good outing and four bad ones. Dude's got all sorts of stuff...great fastball that pops when it gets to the plate and a decent slider, and of course he's left handed. He's always been working on the change and slider, and he has serious control problems...also a lack of concentration...this is now his third organization...I doubt if he'll become any more than maybe a left-handed bullpen specialist...

slim
05-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Be prepared for one good outing and four bad ones. Dude's got all sorts of stuff...great fastball that pops when it gets to the plate and a decent slider, and of course he's left handed. He's always been working on the change and slider, and he has serious control problems...also a lack of concentration...this is now his third organization...I doubt if he'll become any more than maybe a left-handed bullpen specialist...

Great, we already have enough guys with control/concentration issues...see Morales and Jimenez.

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Great, we already have enough guys with control/concentration issues...see Morales and Jimenez.

Bingo...at least they are young...De La Rosa is what he is.

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
******* Royals...it's only turning out like this because now Coach can make fun of my ass...

MOtorboat
05-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Mexican Tough!

Gives up the home run and then stonewalls Hanley Ramirez and Jorge Cantu...nice...

keithbishop
05-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Doesn't involve the Royals.... or the majors.... nor does it deserve a thread of it's own, but the Yankees AAA team provided an inning I thought would generate some laughs............

Bonehead play (glad I was only listening): Scranton had the bases loaded with no outs. Nick Green was at the plate. He hit a tapper to
3B.... Juan Miranda was out on a force at the plate. Runners on 1B and 2B advanced on the play, but Green thought it was a foul ball and was tagged out in the batters box to complete the DP:mad:.

Yes, he would have been safe at 1B had he ran. Chris Stewart K'd to end the inning. Yeah, they lost.... and deservedly so.

keithbishop
05-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Good to see the Royals playing very well. Only 2 games out in the Central.

MOtorboat
05-19-2008, 08:22 PM

MOtorboat
05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
three more frickin' outs...NICE job Royals...

MOtorboat
05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Crap.

What a great story, though. I can't be sad about this. John Lester beats cancer and pitches a no hitter.

Bronco9798
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
BOSTON'S LESTER TOSSES NO-NO

Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester, who survived cancer, no-hits the Royals in a 7-0 victory. He walks just two, while striking out nine. It's the 18th no-hitter in Boston history and the first by a BoSox lefty since Mel Parnell's in 1956.

yep,,we have aq No-No!!!!

MOtorboat
05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
BOSTON'S LESTER TOSSES NO-NO

Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester, who survived cancer, no-hits the Royals in a 7-0 victory. He walks just two, while striking out nine. It's the 18th no-hitter in Boston history and the first by a BoSox lefty since Mel Parnell's in 1956.

yep,,we have aq No-No!!!!

I seriously can't knock this...this is a great story...

Congrats to Jon Lester.

Bronco9798
05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
I seriously can't knock this...this is a great story...

Congrats to Jon Lester.

Yep, I agree! Nice to see...

MOtorboat
05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
:doh:

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Fist pump:...Teahen with the inside the parker!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Against friggin' Joe Nathan!

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I love baseball.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Soria is a stud...he made Gomez look stupid...fastball inside and Gomez swung so hard he fell over.

keithbishop
05-31-2008, 01:19 AM
What in the hell is going on, MB?? I'm at an absolute loss to explain the Royals recent play.

MOtorboat
05-31-2008, 02:07 AM
What in the hell is going on, MB?? I'm at an absolute loss to explain the Royals recent play.

Have you followed the team the last five years?

I'm not.

They suck.

No talent. Little coaching. The ability to believe Tony Pena Jr. is actually a major league SS.

MHCBill
05-31-2008, 05:51 AM
OK...whatever...

Meche wins 12
Greinke wins 12
Bannister wins 12

(All doable, and that's 36 wins right there)

You get a total of 24 wins out of No. 4 and No. 5...doable...That's 60...you get 10 wins here and there, which we already have one out of Nunez...

Yes, the Royals can win 70 games.
Changing your tune in less than two months MB?

MOtorboat
05-31-2008, 11:54 AM

Your vast knowledge and contributions to the entire baseball forum are greatly appreciated.

lex
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Its too bad what has become of the Royals. They used to be outstanding back in the 70s and 80s. Its kind of sad how its forgotten how good this franchise used to be. I guess its easy to forget since its not a major media market. I really wish this team would be relevant again.

keithbishop
05-31-2008, 11:44 PM

No. Just frustrated by the long losing streak after a pretty nice stretch of games.

MOtorboat
05-31-2008, 11:46 PM
No. Just frustrated by the long losing streak after a pretty nice stretch of games.

Pena has got to go.

They gave German a shot tonight, and Aviles one on Thursday.

Something has to be done at SS to get ANYONE with a bat.

I think I might hit better than TPJ.

keithbishop
05-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Have you followed the team the last five years?

I'm not.

They suck.

No talent. Little coaching. The ability to believe Tony Pena Jr. is actually a major league SS.

Yeah, I've followed them since I was a little kid. Only rooted for them the past 3 seasons, though.

Can't blame you for your comments. FWIW, I still see talent there. Without the right coaching/mix of players though, talent doesn't matter a bit.

Glad they won tonight.

MOtorboat
05-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Glad they won tonight.

Big sigh of relief.

The 1-0 score started to worry me, but DeJesus hit a HR, and they had a big inning in the fifth.

Daviess pitched pretty well, except for the third.

keithbishop
05-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Pena has got to go.

They gave German a shot tonight, and Aviles one on Thursday.

Something has to be done at SS to get ANYONE with a bat.

I think I might hit better than TPJ.

To think that such a big deal was made of him last season.

The Yankees have a kid in AAA, Alberto Gonzalez, that would trump Pena across the board (granted that isn't saying much, but Gonzalez is a fine SS).

.176 OBP :shocked:. Brutal.

Makes you wonder what it takes to be demoted.

MOtorboat
05-31-2008, 11:56 PM
To think that such a big deal was made of him last season.

The Yankees have a kid in AAA, Alberto Gonzalez, that would trump Pena across the board (granted that isn't saying much, but Gonzalez is a fine SS).

.176 OBP :shocked:. Brutal.

Makes you wonder what it takes to be demoted.

Angel Berroa is much better...commits about the same number of errors, but has less range, BUT he hits much better...

Any possibility the Royals could send Nunez or Ramirez to the Yanks for this kid?

The only two real SS prospects the Royals have, Bianchi and Moustakis, are in Single-A and Bianchi probably will never reach the majors and Moustakis won't be a SS.

keithbishop
05-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Big sigh of relief.

The 1-0 score started to worry me, but DeJesus hit a HR, and they had a big inning in the fifth.

Daviess pitched pretty well, except for the third.

I was pissed that they didn't play this afternoon. The Yankees and all their minor league teams played tonight. I watched the big team and listened to the AA team (until their rain delay -- listened to Class A during the delay).

Kept an eye on the Royals game/score when I could.

keithbishop
06-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Angel Berroa is much better...commits about the same number of errors, but has less range, BUT he hits much better...

Any possibility the Royals could send Nunez or Ramirez to the Yanks for this kid?

The only two real SS prospects the Royals have, Bianchi and Moustakis, are in Single-A and Bianchi probably will never reach the majors and Moustakis won't be a SS.

Gobble would get it done. Nothing against Nunez or Ramirez, but the Yankees have 3 RH in AAA (Scott Patterson, JB Cox, David Robertson), and one in AA (Mark Melancon -- a name to remember ...and mispronounce... It's Mel-Ann- Son) that will be in the majors this season.

Our LHs in AAA (Heath Phillips and Billy Traber -- I'd trade both for a 1-year subscription to Baseball America) are a complete joke and we don't have one on the major league roster:shocked:.

I like Gonzalez a lot, but he's kind of blocked by someone at SS.

MOtorboat
06-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Gobble would get it done. Nothing against Nunez or Ramirez, but the Yankees have 3 RH in AAA (Scott Patterson, JB Cox, David Robertson), and one in AA (Mark Melancon -- a name to remember ...and mispronounce... It's Mel-Ann- Son) that will be in the majors this season.

Our LHs in AAA (Heath Phillips and Billy Traber -- I'd trade both for a 1-year subscription to Baseball America) are a complete joke and we don't have one on the major league roster:shocked:.

I like Gonzalez a lot, but he's kind of blocked by someone at SS.

GOBBLE!

We could get a solid SS prospect for GOBBLE!

Someone pull the trigger!

keithbishop
06-01-2008, 12:11 AM
GOBBLE!

We could get a solid SS prospect for GOBBLE!

Someone pull the trigger!

Yeah. Sad state of affairs for LHRP, isn't it? Any LH with a pulse is better than what the Yankees have above AA.... and I'm not sold on the kid in AA yet, either.

keithbishop
06-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Glad to see Bannister bounce back after he'd made 3 consecutive poor starts.

Easy win over Cleveland.

MOtorboat
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Glad to see Bannister bounce back after he'd made 3 consecutive poor starts.

Easy win over Cleveland.

Ramirez made it interesting in the ninth, but it was a good win. A big inning in the third and Bannister pitched well...

It sucks, because that 10 in a row just hurt them so bad.

Just behind Detroit in the standings, the Royals have played two more games and lost them both.

MHCBill
06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Your vast knowledge and contributions to the entire baseball forum are greatly appreciated.I've forgot more about baseball than you'll ever know big guy.

And I'm not the one to predict the stinkin' Royals winning more than 70 games this year.

Funny stuff.

Take it easy MB... I love ya. We're just having fun shootin' the shiz!!!

MOtorboat
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
I've forgot more about baseball than you'll ever know big guy.

It shows.

MOtorboat
06-02-2008, 08:45 AM
How Baseball America's Top 10 Royals Prospects are doing on June 2:
Mike Moustakis, SS, Burlington Bees (A)

Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
BUR MID .239 52 205 22 49 8 2 7 24 82 12 34 3 3 .290 .400 .690
Daniel Cortes, P, Northwest Arkansas (AA)

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
NWA TEX 2 2 3.27 7 7 0 0 0 33.0 24 13 12 3 17 31 0.81 .200
Luke Hochevar, P, Kansas City Royals (MLB) and Omaha Royals (AAA)

OMA PCL 1 1 2.60 3 3 0 0 0 17.1 11 7 5 2 6 12 5.00 .180
Minors 1 1 2.60 3 3 0 0 0 17.1 11 7 5 2 6 12 5.00 .180
MLB 3 5 4.98 8 8 0 0 0 47.0 47 30 26 4 27 33 2.26 .261
Blake Wood, P, Northwest Arkansas (AA) Wilmington (A)

WIL CAR 3 2 2.67 10 10 0 0 0 57.1 32 17 17 3 15 63 1.08 .168
NWA TEX 0 0 6.23 1 1 0 0 0 4.1 7 3 3 1 2 6 0.75 .350
Minors 3 2 2.92 11 11 0 0 0 61.2 39 20 20 4 17 69 1.05 .185
Daniel Duffy, P, Burlington Bees (A)

BUR MID 0 2 8.49 3 3 0 0 0 11.2 16 11 11 2 5 18 1.29 .327
Carlos Rosa, P, Omaha Royals (AAA), Northwest Arkansas (AA)

NWA TEX 4 2 1.20 8 8 0 0 0 45.0 30 8 6 2 7 42 1.31 .189
OMA PCL 2 1 4.71 4 4 0 0 0 21.0 24 11 11 2 4 20 2.50 .293
Minors 6 3 2.32 12 12 0 0 0 66.0 54 19 17 4 11 62 1.59 .224
Julio Pimintel, P, Northwest Arkansas (AA)

NWA TEX 2 5 5.76 11 11 0 0 0 59.1 67 40 38 7 20 43 1.35 .288
Matt Mitchell, P, Burlington Bees (A)

BUR MID 3 4 3.75 11 8 0 0 0 48.0 52 26 20 2 9 36 0.62 .281
Derrick Robinson, CF, Wilmington (A)

WIL CAR .281 51 210 30 59 9 3 0 16 74 15 46 28 5 .333 .352 .686

Note: Yasihuto Yabuta was considered the Royals No. 9 prospect...that's crap, because he went straight to the majors...so I left him off. He sucks anyway.

MHCBill
06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
It shows.Thank you.

keithbishop
06-02-2008, 11:43 PM
How Baseball America's Top 10 Royals Prospects are doing on June 2:
Mike Moustakis, SS, Burlington Bees (A)

BUR MID .239 52 205 22 49 8 2 7 24 82 12 34 3 3 .290 .400 .690
Daniel Cortes, P, Northwest Arkansas (AA)

NWA TEX 2 2 3.27 7 7 0 0 0 33.0 24 13 12 3 17 31 0.81 .200
Luke Hochevar, P, Kansas City Royals (MLB) and Omaha Royals (AAA)

OMA PCL 1 1 2.60 3 3 0 0 0 17.1 11 7 5 2 6 12 5.00 .180
Minors 1 1 2.60 3 3 0 0 0 17.1 11 7 5 2 6 12 5.00 .180
MLB 3 5 4.98 8 8 0 0 0 47.0 47 30 26 4 27 33 2.26 .261
Blake Wood, P, Northwest Arkansas (AA) Wilmington (A)

WIL CAR 3 2 2.67 10 10 0 0 0 57.1 32 17 17 3 15 63 1.08 .168
NWA TEX 0 0 6.23 1 1 0 0 0 4.1 7 3 3 1 2 6 0.75 .350
Minors 3 2 2.92 11 11 0 0 0 61.2 39 20 20 4 17 69 1.05 .185
Daniel Duffy, P, Burlington Bees (A)

BUR MID 0 2 8.49 3 3 0 0 0 11.2 16 11 11 2 5 18 1.29 .327
Carlos Rosa, P, Omaha Royals (AAA), Northwest Arkansas (AA)

NWA TEX 4 2 1.20 8 8 0 0 0 45.0 30 8 6 2 7 42 1.31 .189
OMA PCL 2 1 4.71 4 4 0 0 0 21.0 24 11 11 2 4 20 2.50 .293
Minors 6 3 2.32 12 12 0 0 0 66.0 54 19 17 4 11 62 1.59 .224
Julio Pimintel, P, Northwest Arkansas (AA)

NWA TEX 2 5 5.76 11 11 0 0 0 59.1 67 40 38 7 20 43 1.35 .288
Matt Mitchell, P, Burlington Bees (A)

BUR MID 3 4 3.75 11 8 0 0 0 48.0 52 26 20 2 9 36 0.62 .281
Derrick Robinson, CF, Wilmington (A)

WIL CAR .281 51 210 30 59 9 3 0 16 74 15 46 28 5 .333 .352 .686

Note: Yasihuto Yabuta was considered the Royals No. 9 prospect...that's crap, because he went straight to the majors...so I left him off. He sucks anyway.

Excellent, MB!! Not the Yabuta part, of course ;). I know way too much about craptacular Japanese pitchers.

Love to read anything about prospects.

I'm learning a lot these days.... things like predicting a team is capable of winning 70 games in a 162 game season is something major. :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
06-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm learning a lot these days.... things like predicting a team is capable of winning 70 games in a 162 game season is something major. :rolleyes:

Don't listen to me, KB, I don't know anything about baseball.

MHC Bill, however, knows so much that he doesn't provide anything but negative comments about the Royals. I mean, hatred is something that is becoming of someone, especially when the hatred is for a team who has been no good for years.

It's not that its pathetic to not participate in the baseball forums and just slam one of the worst teams in the last few years, I mean, that's an honorable thing to do. Especially when you don't contribute anything to any of the other baseball threads.

keithbishop
06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't listen to me, KB, I don't know anything about baseball.

MHC Bill, however, knows so much that he doesn't provide anything but negative comments about the Royals. I mean, hatred is something that is becoming of someone, especially when the hatred is for a team who has been no good for years.

It's not that its pathetic to not participate in the baseball forums and just slam one of the worst teams in the last few years, I mean, that's an honorable thing to do. Especially when you don't contribute anything to any of the other baseball threads.

Yeah. I was pretty much in awe of what he adds to the thread. "When in the presence of greatness...." you know, that sort of thing.

Maybe I need to start slamming the Pirates or something.

MHCBill
06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Fine... what can I say?

I think Moustakas is the real deal, but will probably take 3 or 4 years to make an impact in the majors. Not a huge surprise because of his age, but he just hasn't shown the plate discipline yet in LoA ball.

The best prospect in baseball in my opinion not named Bruce is David Price in the Rays system. The Rays are truly ready for a long run battling it out with the Sox in the AL East. With their current team and what's waiting in the wings in the minors they should be strong assuming they stay healthy. Jake McGee and Wade Townsend in AA are very, very good prospects. In HiA they have Price and another very good starter by the name of Jeremy Hellickson. With this much depth in pitching it should allow them to make some trades for vets if need be as well as keep their system stocked. Also, I think they'll either draft Tim Beckham (HS shortstop from Georgia) or Buster Posey (Fla.St. catcher) #1 this week in the draft. I don't think they need another arm at the top of the draft, but they can try to add some more bats to their lineup. Beckham is years away, but Posey is probably already defensively.

As for other top prospects or any other matters related to the great game of baseball (i.e rules, coaching, opinions, player evaluations) please let me know.

I'm just kidding fellas... I'll come off my high horse. I was just busting on MB because when I said the Royals wouldn't win 70 games this year at the beginning of the season MB called me on it. Just having some fun.

Take care.

keithbishop
06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Fine... what can I say?

I think Moustakas is the real deal, but will probably take 3 or 4 years to make an impact in the majors. Not a huge surprise because of his age, but he just hasn't shown the plate discipline yet in LoA ball.

The best prospect in baseball in my opinion not named Bruce is David Price in the Rays system. The Rays are truly ready for a long run battling it out with the Sox in the AL East. With their current team and what's waiting in the wings in the minors they should be strong assuming they stay healthy. Jake McGee and Wade Townsend in AA are very, very good prospects. In HiA they have Price and another very good starter by the name of Jeremy Hellickson. With this much depth in pitching it should allow them to make some trades for vets if need be as well as keep their system stocked. Also, I think they'll either draft Tim Beckham (HS shortstop from Georgia) or Buster Posey (Fla.St. catcher) #1 this week in the draft. I don't think they need another arm at the top of the draft, but they can try to add some more bats to their lineup. Beckham is years away, but Posey is probably already defensively.

As for other top prospects or any other matters related to the great game of baseball (i.e rules, coaching, opinions, player evaluations) please let me know.

I'm just kidding fellas... I'll come off my high horse. I was just busting on MB because when I said the Royals wouldn't win 70 games this year at the beginning of the season MB called me on it. Just having some fun.

Take care.

OK, I have some questions ;):

Any time frame on Dellin Betances' return from injury?

Is Humberto Sanchez still on target to pitch in extended spring training games June 10th or so? I'm assuming he will join High A Tampa once he's up to 40 pitches in an outing, but the GCL season will be underway, so he could start there, too. I envision a month in Class A, a month in Trenton, then a jump to Scranton. Thoughts?? What is your opinion on his move to the pen.... is it permanent or just for 2008? I think it should be a permanent move.

Was Christian Garcia's last start just a bump in the road? I believe it was, but it's still hard to believe he was hammered like that by Fort Myers. Everyone has off days, but it's a little disconcerting this soon after he returned from the DL. Everything I've read gives him a major league comp. to AJ Burnett stuff-wise....high praise, indeed. Promotion to AA in July? He'll finish the season in AA, IMO.

Any word on Damon Sublett's injury? Tampa has enough offensive problems as is. Hopefully he's back when the 7-day DL period ends.

What do you make of Austin Jackson's start? I'm happy wit his across the board performance and look for him to move up to AAA in August. Would you agree, or would he be better served with a full year in AA?

Phil Coke is starting for Scranton tonight (1st game up from AA). Will he stay or return to Trenton to start Sunday? I'm leaning towards the latter, but it depends where Alan Horne makes his next start. After a 77 pitch extended spring training outing, I think he's ready to jump back into Scranton's rotation, but there are positive sides to him making a start or 2 for High A Tampa:
1. Team facilities are in Tampa ...definite plus.
2. If he does, it would be on a rehab assignment and he wouldn't count against Tampa's 24-man roster.
3. Lesser competition for a game or 2 would be fine coming off an injury.

Anyways, I have a billion more questions, but it's time for the big game.

Trenton leads 1-0 bottom 1st, by the way. I think Eric Hacker's recent promotion to Trenton should have happened a month ago.

Last one.... any word on Chase Wright's return?

MHCBill
06-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Why does a Yankee fan hang in a Royals forum?

By the way... I like Sublett alot!!!

Montero in LoA is going to be a stud.

MB is way over his head. j/k

keithbishop
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Why does a Yankee fan hang in a Royals forum?

By the way... I like Sublett alot!!!

Montero in LoA is going to be a stud.

MB is way over his head. j/k

The Royals are my adopted 2nd favorite team. Strange, because I'd never had a 2nd favorite pro team (any sport). I didn't root for them back then, but have admired the Royals since Willie Wilson was a terror on the basepaths and Brett hit everything in sight. After watching and listening to them for ages, they grew on me.

I was just playing in the last post, of course (though those were legit questions).

No need to even mention the player's name, but my most recent prospect frustration:

Reliever puts up nice numbers in AAA, especially over the last couple of weeks. I hadn't seen him pitch since spring training, but he didn't pitch often enough in the spring to get a good grasp of his stuff (and, as Latroy Hawkins said " Spring don't mean $#%t, dude."). Listened to his last AAA appearance before he was promoted.... and the announcer was talking about his 94 MPH fastball. Threw me a bit...didn't think he had that kind of velocity.... then he pitches in his first major league game: 88-89 MPH consistently, but didn't touch 90. Can I sue for false advertisement? This happens far too often for my taste.

Said reliever is back in AAA after 2 days in the majors.

keithbishop
06-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Though I'm pretty sure I could have hit better than the Yankees did tonight with runners on, tip of the cap to KC for a well deserved win.

The rest of my comments on the game have been censored, but they were really bad.

OB
06-07-2008, 12:04 AM
why does everyone get onto KB about being a yankees fan when he shows he totally knows what he is talking about when it comes to baseball - period - u people r pissin me off - if u cant have an intelligent discussion with him cause you cant keep up - dont play the lame -"if ur a this fan, why r u here" - lamest smack ever!!!!

And bite me MO - screw the royals :mad:

Damn Yankees

MOtorboat
06-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Though I'm pretty sure I could have hit better than the Yankees did tonight with runners on, tip of the cap to KC for a well deserved win.

The rest of my comments on the game have been censored, but they were really bad.

A blind squirrel eventually finds a nut.

Timmy!
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Dear Royals,

Please sweep the ghey annoying snakes. TIA.

Sincerely,
Rockies fans.

Timmy!
06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
2 outta 3. Thanks KC.

MOtorboat
06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
2 outta 3. Thanks KC.

You are welcome...

Rockies coming to town next week...trying to go to at least 2 of the 3.

Timmy!
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
You are welcome...

Rockies coming to town next week...trying to go to at least 2 of the 3.

Bring a broom :D

lex
06-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Im really hoping the Royals can do well in this series vs the Cardinals. Come on Kansas City!!! Go Cubs!

KCL
06-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Excellent game for the Royals today vs the Giants! :beer:

Timmy!
06-24-2008, 04:12 AM
Call off your dogs MB. One of these teams has a shot at the playoffs :D

Rex
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Call off your dogs MB. One of these teams has a shot at the playoffs :D

Which team? The Rockies are horrid.

Timmy!
06-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Which team? The Rockies are horrid.

They've been playing much better lately. I think they have the 2nd or 3rd best record in June in all of MLB. It's only going to take 85 wins (at most) to win the NL west. If the Royals would just lay down..... :D

Watchthemiddle
06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I love the Royals.

I was born in Blue Springs, grew up a HUGE Royals fan...have the 85 Royals World Series win on tape....( for those of you too young, its on a VCR tape)

Bret Saberhagen being hugged by the best 3rd baseman of all time or best baseball player of all time ( George Brett )

I used to spend my summers at my grandparents farm ( DeKalb, MO) and go to a game every year..,...and if I wasn't at the game, listening to it on the radio with grand pops while working the fields....( was listening to the game when Bo Jackson had 3 HR's and then seperated his shoulder)

So....as much as I would love to see the ROckies win this series....I love the Royals as well.

I just see the Rockies in a better position to accomplish something over the Royals. The Royals get outstanding talent, and then when it comes time to pay them, they trade them and start all over.

Timmy!
06-24-2008, 05:06 PM
For the record, the Royals are my AL team. Kauffman was the first MLB ballpark I ever attended a game in...and the Royals even won :D

Rex
06-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Rockies pitching is making KC look like a team of hitters.

Timmy!
06-25-2008, 08:00 AM
KC is smoking hot right now, talk about running into a buzz saw. The Rockies are suddenly playing like they did in April and May. Nice thing is, both the Rocks and Royals are only 8 games back in their divisions. Lots of ball to play, season is only 1/2 over. I'd crap myself if they both made the playoffs.

MOtorboat
06-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Sweep. :D

KCL
06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
KC is smoking hot right now, talk about running into a buzz saw. The Rockies are suddenly playing like they did in April and May. Nice thing is, both the Rocks and Royals are only 8 games back in their divisions. Lots of ball to play, season is only 1/2 over. I'd crap myself if they both made the playoffs.

I would love to see the Royals get into the playoffs...they won the World
Series back in 1985...my daughter was born the 6th game of that series.
It was the same day that Bret Saberhagan and his wife had their baby.

That was back in the George Brett days when we had owners who actually
gave a crap about the team.

Timmy!
06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Sweep. :D

Told ya :cool:

Rex
06-26-2008, 10:07 AM
While being surprised at KC's recent hitting surge, I am not surprised by the sweep. In my opinion, Colorado and Kansas City are similar teams talent wise, but I would give KC a big advantage in pitching.

MOtorboat
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
FWIW, Kansas City is 41-28 against the NL in the last four years and 273-342 overall.

keithbishop
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Bump. A 17-32 finish to reach 70 wins is still, of course, possible.

keithbishop
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
My son and I attended Saturday's 9-7 win over the White Sox and last night's 4-3 win over boston. It was a shame we couldn't see DeJesus and Grudzielanek play, but, other than that, it was a wonderful trip.

Saturday was fun -- 7 HR from the 2 teams and Soria was great. Griffey only played a few innings, but it was an honor to watch him.
Beyond the game:
Saturday was military appreciation day. We arrived early and received camouflage Royals hats (pretty cool). The tributes to our men and women in service were quite touching. I must admit I nearly shed a tear during the national anthem. I wish I could recall the man's name, but it was sung by a member of the Air Force. As many times as I've heard the national anthem, his was the best by far. His voice was so powerful that I thought the stadium would shake. His range was outstanding and he didn't try to "over do it" like I've heard so often. Everyone involved in the military ceremonies received a well deserved ovation. Geez.... it's getting to me again. I'm damned proud to be an American.

Monday:

Briefly.................

red sox fans nearly outnumbered the Royals fans and were certainly more vocal until Soria entered in the 9th.

boston jumped on Gil Meche for 2 runs in the 1st and Buchholz breezed through the 1st inning (I believe it was 8 pitches to 22 for Meche in the 1st). Meche didn't have his stuff and had problems locating all night, but battled his way to a 6 IP 2 ER quality start.

Alex Gordon's 13th HR got the crowd in the game and pulled KC to within 2-1. After his HR, the pitchers reversed courses. Meche looked good and Buchholz had problems throwing strikes, including walking in KC's final 2 runs in the 3rd.

Both pens were sharp in the 7th + 8th, but the 9th became a nailbiter.

Trey Hillman brought in Tony Pena Jr. to play SS, moved Mike Aviles from SS to 2B, Ross Gload from LF to 1B, and Esteban German from 2B to LF. Sadly, Mark Grudzielanek and David DeJesus are injured.

After Crisp led off the inning with a single and Nancy K'd swinging, Pedroia singled on a fly ball to German. A regular outfielder would have made the catch for a big out, but utility IF German let the ball drop in front of him.

Ortiz grounded out to 1B, advancing the runners. Youkilis was intentionally walked. Jason Bay, 0-4 with 2 K's entering the 9th (no, I wasn't impressed) hit a ground ball for what should have been the game's final out, but 3B Gordon and SS Pena collided in an attempt to field the ball. It was a Bad News Bears play and it looked like boston was destined to at least tie the game. Sean Casey stung a ball to RF, but it was right at Mark Teahen to seal the win.

There was no joy in Mudville and it was a treat to walk out of the stadium with a huge group of upset red sox fans.

MOtorboat
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a good time, KB...

95% of the "Boston fans" couldn't even find Boston on a map.

Little warm for ya?

Rex
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Boy, there sure are a lot of Ks and Missouri Red Sox fans these days!!

Bandwagon ********.

BroncoBJ
08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
:laugh: Yea bandwagon fans make me sick. :fight:
I guess that makes me hate Boston even more.
And it seems like every time I go to KC for a game its always Boston playing them.
I have bad timing.

The Royals are only like 6 games behind .500 :eek:

MOtorboat
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
The Royals are only like 6 games behind .500 :eek:

On pace for 75 wins.

keithbishop
08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a good time, KB...

95% of the "Boston fans" couldn't even find Boston on a map.

Little warm for ya?

We caught a big break there. Club level seats were in the shade for the whole game Saturday and for all but maybe an inning last night. Nice breeze made it bearable.

keithbishop
09-20-2008, 08:54 PM

They just won their 70th.

No great accomplishment, but, after winning 69 in 2007, a 1 game improvement shouldn't have been viewed as impossible.

MOtorboat
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Hmmm...74 wins and third place...

How's the crow?

MHCBill
09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I'll take my plate of crow... good thing they got real hot the last two weeks.

However, they could push 80 wins next year.

MOtorboat
09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I'll take my plate of crow... good thing they got real hot the last two weeks.

However, they could push 80 wins next year.

Don't jinx 'em....:coffee:

There's still a lot of holes, and nothing to fill them from down in the minors. I'm skeptical...

MOtorboat
10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Sweet! More first basemen!

KC acquires power-hitting Jacobs
Royals send reliever Nunez to Marlins for first baseman

By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals acquired power-hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs from the Florida Marlins on Thursday for right-handed reliever Leo Nunez.

Jacobs, who turned 28 on Thursday, should answer the Royals' need for a proven power hitter. He had career highs of 32 home runs and 93 RBIs for the Marlins last season. A left-handed hitter, he batted .247 and had an on-base percentage of .299.

The Marlins were looking for relief help, and Nunez was 4-1 with a 2.98 ERA in 45 games last season. He was on the disabled list from May 29 to July 21 with a strained right lat.

The Marlins see Nunez as a late-inning setup man or perhaps a closer candidate down the line.

Jacobs, is eligible for arbitration for the first time, and his salary is expected to rise to roughly $3.5 million in 2009.

The addition of Jacobs creates an even bigger jam at first base for the Royals, who already have Ryan Shealy, Ross Gload, Billy Butler and Kila Ka'aihue lined up there.

None of them, however, have the Major League power credentials of Jacobs. In one year with the New York Mets and the last three with the Marlins, Jacobs has a total of 80 home runs, 98 doubles and 247 RBIs in 421 games. His career average is .262.

The Marlins acquired Jacobs from the Mets on Thanksgiving night 2005 as part of the Carlos Delgado trade.

The Royals-Marlins deal had been in the works during the World Series, and by Wednesday night, it was essentially completed pending a review of medical records.

Jacobs was part of history for Florida this season. The Marlins became the first team in MLB history to have four infielders each connect on 25 or more home runs. Shortstop Hanley Ramirez had 33, while Jacobs and second baseman Dan Uggla each finished with 32. Third baseman Jorge Cantu delivered 29.

We now have: Ryan Shealy, Billy Butler, Ross Gload, Mike Jacobs and Kila Ka'aihue. Meanwhile, we have a 40-year old 2B, a 2B playing shortstop and the future SS is at Single-A. Nice.

Medford Bronco
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Sweet! More first basemen!

We now have: Ryan Shealy, Billy Butler, Ross Gload, Mike Jacobs and Kila Ka'aihue. Meanwhile, we have a 40-year old 2B, a 2B playing shortstop and the future SS is at Single-A. Nice.

Its a sad day when the only Royals that I actually remember all played back in the day.

George Brett, Dennis Lenard, Willie Wilson, Hal McRae, Darryl Porter
UL Washington, Dan Quizinberry, Willie "Mays" Aikens, Frank White, Charlie Leibrandt, Al Cowens and Dane Iorg and George Orta who was out on that play at 2nd base vs St Louis in 85

I cant name more than 2 Royals on the current team.

the only ones that come to mind without cheating are

The lefty Pitcher Bannister and shit only one..the other was the pitcher
who used to play for Seattle, his name esapes me :lol:

MOtorboat
10-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Its a sad day when the only Royals that I actually remember all played back in the day.

UL Washington, Dan Quizinberry, Willie "Mays" Aikens, Frank White, Charlie Leibrandt, Al Cowens and Dane Iorg and George Orta who was out on that play at 2nd base vs St Louis in 85

Well, I just named five :laugh:

I root fairly geographically Med...when I moved here I started rooting for the Royals, and my dad was a big Bo Jackson fan back in the day before the Rockies, so it wasn't that hard...

1. DeJesus, CF
2. Teahen, LF
3. Gordon, 3B
4. Guillen, RF
5. Butler, DH
6. Jacobs, 1B
7. Aviles, SS
8. Buck, C
9. Grudzielanek, 2B

Starting to look like a better lineup. Starting.

MOtorboat
01-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Yes.

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1001677.html

Greinke agrees to four-year deal with Royals
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

The Royals reached agreement Monday morning with right-handed pitcher Zack Greinke on a four-year contract that buys out his first two seasons of free-agent eligibility.

Financial terms were not immediately available.

The deal comes after Greinke, 25, produced a breakout season in 2008 by going 13-10 with a 3.47 ERA in 32 starts. He achieved career highs in numerous categories, including victories, innings and strikeouts.

Greinke had sought $4.4 million through arbitration before agreeing to the multi-year contract. The Royals had offered $3.4 million. He made $1.4 million last season.

The deal is expected to be confirmed this afternoon in a downtown news conference.

KCL
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM

same here Med...those are the good ole days when KC won the WS.
They had a hell of coach in Howser.Sadly he passed away a couple of years later and The Quiz is gone too :sad: