PDA

View Full Version : Money Problems in Denver? Howso?

WARHORSE
03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Somethings been bothering me about all the so called 'Money Woes' of the Denver Broncos.

I just dont see it.

Not that Im thinking we should be doing what the Faders are doing by spending up tons of money to get FAs. I dont. I like what we've done so far, and have no problems with it.

But all this talk about us having cashflow problems, or being restricted by the cap, or blah, blah, blah........

The Denver Broncos are the tenth richest NFL franchise. They are worth approximately one billion dollars.

The Minnesota Vikings are the lowest valued franchise in the NFL, but they would be second richest franchise in MLBaseball behind the NY Yankees.

Why are the Broncos pinching, or at least trying to put out the appearance of pinching?

A reminder: Denver tried to move up to number two in the draft last year.

How can it be that we had a deal to move into the top two picks last year, which only got stymied by the Lions-not Denver, and then all of a sudden move from being able to take the financial risk of a number two pick in the NFL draft, to a team in financial straits?

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, no Einstein to be sure, but I have a little common sense, available to a few of us blue collared types.:coffee:

I mean, I can read a newspaper.:confused:

Is this draft day charades?

Is Denver once again thinking about moving up into top five territory, and if so, for WHOM?

The Broncos have partnered with the Rams in draft day trades. The Rams are at number two. The Broncos have traded with the Falcons, they are at three.

Calvin Johnson was at number two.

Are the Denver Broncos lookin for superstars?

Superstars bring in money. Superstars get jerseys sold. Superstars bring media to town. And superstars get national attention.

If Darren McFadden were in Denver.........like, say Adrian Peterson.....what would his impact be on a franchise like the Broncos? A back of his stature running in the ZB system of the Broncs, could potentially take the league by storm.......no?

The Broncos are the highest team in the top of the draft that could use a tailback. That makes them candidates for a McFadden trade. Only the Jets are in a higher draft position and are a team with possible RB needs that could possibly move up to take McFadden, but I dont see them as thinking McFadden is the answer to their problems. Without a franchise QB, the ability of a McFadden could be stymied by an offenses inability to be two dimensional.

So who else is in the McFadden derby?

All speculation on my part of course.....(some around here are rolling their eyes...lol).......... but the Denver Broncos are not cap strapped. They gained cap space, and have enough to sign quite a bit if you understand the way the cap works.

Im not advocating a trade to get McFadden.

But I am throwing out a topic for discussion. :coffee:

Thoughts? (No tomatoes)

The NFL owners meetings have begun...................beginnings of draft day trade talk.

Expect rumours to abound.

Dean
03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
With as many holes on the team as the Broncos have, I would hope that a trade up to get a running back is just a nightmare and will quickly fade.

BOSSHOGG30
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Denver can wait at 12 for McFadden, Stewart, or Mendenhall..... and regardless of who they went with that person would sell jerseys....especially once the season starts and that player is racking up yards. No need to trade up.

fcspikeit
03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Somethings been bothering me about all the so called 'Money Woes' of the Denver Broncos.

I just dont see it.

Not that Im thinking we should be doing what the Faders are doing by spending up tons of money to get FAs. I dont. I like what we've done so far, and have no problems with it.

But all this talk about us having cashflow problems, or being restricted by the cap, or blah, blah, blah........

The Denver Broncos are the tenth richest NFL franchise. They are worth approximately one billion dollars.

The Minnesota Vikings are the lowest valued franchise in the NFL, but they would be second richest franchise in MLBaseball behind the NY Yankees.

Why are the Broncos pinching, or at least trying to put out the appearance of pinching?

How can it be that we had a deal to move into the top two picks last year, which only got stymied by the Lions-not Denver, and then all of a sudden move from being able to take the financial risk of a number two pick in the NFL draft, to a team in financial straits?

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, no Einstein to be sure, but I have a little common sense, available to a few of us blue collared types.:coffee:

Is Denver once again thinking about moving up into top five territory, and if so, for WHOM?

The Broncos have partnered with the Rams in draft day trades. The Rams are at number two. The Broncos have traded with the Falcons, they are at three.

Superstars bring in money. Superstars get jerseys sold. Superstars bring media to town. And superstars get national attention.

If Darren McFadden were in Denver.........like, say Adrian Peterson.....what would his impact be on a franchise like the Broncos? A back of his stature running in the ZB system of the Broncs, could potentially take the league by storm.......no?

The Broncos are the highest team in the top of the draft that could use a tailback. That makes them candidates for a McFadden trade. Only the Jets are in a higher draft position and are a team with possible RB needs that could possibly move up to take McFadden, but I dont see them as thinking McFadden is the answer to their problems. Without a franchise QB, the ability of a McFadden could be stymied by an offenses inability to be two dimensional.

All speculation on my part of course.....(some around here are rolling their eyes...lol).......... but the Denver Broncos are not cap strapped. They gained cap space, and have enough to sign quite a bit if you understand the way the cap works.

Thoughts? (No tomatoes)

The NFL owners meetings have begun...................beginnings of draft day trade talk.

Here is a thought I have had the last few weeks, I haven't put it out there but I am beginning to feel it could happen.. I think Denver might trade up for...*Drum Roll* ................ With the 2nd pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select, Jake Long!

I just have a feeling, call it a hunch if you want...

Drill-N-Fill
03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
If its anyone its Dorsey. The guy is a freak.

Drill-N-Fill
03-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Here is a thought I have had the last few weeks, I haven't put it out there but I am beginning to feel it could happen.. I think Denver might trade up for...*Drum Roll* ................ With the 2nd pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select, Jake Long!

I would be disappointed a lil. Long/Williams/Clady very little drop off in talent. I hope its Dorsey.

Bronco9798
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM

I just dont see it.

Thoughts? (No tomatoes)

I don't think we'll see the Broncos trade up for a RB. I don't think you need McFAdden to be successful this year. I personally feel the Broncos can win with Henry and Young if they concentrate on both sides of the line. We all know you win games in the trenches on both sides of the ball. There is no debate there. That's where games are won. Cutler has the talent to lead this team, he just needs protection. The talent is there on the offense, you just need a line that can stay healthy, play together, and get a good rhythm with each other. I'm not sold on the idea that you have to draft a RB at the 12 position to be successful this year. I won't be real discouraged if we do, but I think you can reach out to another position and improve the team more by going OL or even DT with the first pick.

RB is a glamor position and people get intrigued with it. The life of a RB is about 5 years in the NFL. I think you can trade down a bit or take a RB later without effecting the possible success of the team this year.

Just my opinion.

fcspikeit
03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
I would be disappointed a lil. Long/Williams/Clady very little drop off in talent. I hope its Dorsey.

I too would rather have Dorsey, But I wouldn't be to upset with Long. It would be nice to see Mikey putting more importance on the O-line.

I also think there is quit a bit of drop off after Long... Even if he can't make it at LT, no one doubts he will be able to play RT. If Mikey feels Harris is really ready to start at LT, then I could see him drafting Long for the right side.

Lonestar
03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I do not see the need to fire a bunch of low level employees to move up int eh draft.. The amount of money saved firing all of those folks will not make a bit of difference compared to the signing bonus #2-5 get..

PAT did not see the value in there performances to justify their jobs.. Period..

Good try in making the forum a more interesting place today..

WARHORSE
03-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I do not see the need to fire a bunch of low level employees to move up int eh draft.. The amount of money saved firing all of those folks will not make a bit of difference compared to the signing bonus #2-5 get..

PAT did not see the value in there performances to justify their jobs.. Period..

Good try in making the forum a more interesting place today..

Those people are non-performance anyway, and nothing more than 'fat' positions.

It goes beyond those firings anyways. Alot of it may just as well be the media trying to swing numbers out of an ordinary situation, but either way, was counts is the fact that many, in fandom that is, believe the Broncos are in money straits.

I still think Denver will make a move this year concerning next years first round pick if they can. Whether to move up, or move back into the first this year is to be seen, but I think they will if the opportunity presents itself.

WARHORSE
03-30-2008, 11:04 PM
If its anyone its Dorsey. The guy is a freak.

I would love to see Dorsey in orange and blue. LOVE it. The man would help us tremendously, and has character that I love. Easy going, but leads by example, with fire on gameday.

But the Dorseys of the league dont generate hoopla.

Lets be honest.

When making decisions on draft day, the ability of a player to generate revenue is definitely taken into consideration when looking at the top five selections, and up to ten.

Why do you think the Oakland Jaders continue to be one of the top money makers even when theyre suckers and losers?

The fader attire keeps selling.

Looking at the players in the draft, who has the potential to be Bradyesque?

McFadden not only runs, he played QB, and can throw the ball.

(talkin to meself now)

That has enormous potential when looking at the upside of that player right there.

Enormous.

Bronco9798
03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I'd rather be poor and be competitive, instead of selling jerseys, generating money, and losing. Just saying.....

BeefStew25
03-30-2008, 11:09 PM
War, those cuts have nothing to do with the actual draft. It is all about the CBA. The uncapped year is going to make the owners pretend they are emptying the ashtray.

fcspikeit
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I would love to see Dorsey in orange and blue. LOVE it. The man would help us tremendously, and has character that I love. Easy going, but leads by example, with fire on gameday.

But the Dorseys of the league dont generate hoopla.

Lets be honest.

When making decisions on draft day, the ability of a player to generate revenue is definitely taken into consideration when looking at the top five selections, and up to ten.

Why do you think the Oakland Jaders continue to be one of the top money makers even when theyre suckers and losers?

The fader attire keeps selling.

Looking at the players in the draft, who has the potential to be Bradyesque?

McFadden not only runs, he played QB, and can throw the ball.

(talkin to meself now)

That has enormous potential when looking at the upside of that player right there.

Enormous.

Because gang bangers like to wear silver and black... Most don't even know who the starting QB for the Raiders is, let alone care how awful the team is.

WARHORSE
03-31-2008, 05:15 AM
War, those cuts have nothing to do with the actual draft. It is all about the CBA. The uncapped year is going to make the owners pretend they are emptying the ashtray.

You may be right, and you pegged that one, but who picked Denver to pave the way?

Im lookin at Jerry Jones building a stadium that could house NASA on its patio, and selling huge private suites cause thats one area the CBA doesnt allow anyone else to tap the individual franchises at.

Bowlen better bring us up to speed quick, or we wont be in the top ten for very long. Forget about fronting your position. Try and make it so that no matter what happens, the Broncos are gonna be sittin pretty.:mad:

lex
03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
An interesting and lucid thought and well-deserving of a high five at the very least. I would say that Denver is not likely going to trade up but I wouldnt rule it out. Another thing to consider though is that Goodman was in charge of scouting the southeast United States and he seems to have Shanahans ear. It would not shock me if we did something and I wouldnt at all be disappointed if we did, depending on what we would give up.

Retired_Member_001
03-31-2008, 03:50 PM

To be honest I don't see us moving up that high. If we were to trade up it would only be by a couple of spots out of fear someone else may take the guy we want. I don't think giving up picks is the right idea, I would imagine trading up to the #2nd overall means we have to give up the 2nd rounder which I am not a fan of. With all the holes we have we will need the 2nd rounder. We could draft a good OT, DT or LB in the 2nd round.

The only thing I would be a fan of is trading up for 2 first rounders.

BroncoJoe
03-31-2008, 05:10 PM
The NFL, through the league and its 32 teams, has more than $9 billion of debt. The figure, which has never before been public, is disclosed in a letter that the league’s outside general counsel, Gregg Levy, wrote last October to the NFL Players Association in response to the union’s questions about a league resolution to reduce team debt.

The letter earlier this month was included as an exhibit in a court filing.

“The Resolution reflects general leaguewide concerns about the financial health of the league, and in particular about the level of league and club debt, in an uncertain economic environment, especially one in which its clubs are operating with very thin margins,” wrote Levy, a partner with Covington & Burling. “(The League office estimates debt levels under current League policies to be above $9 billion.)”

The NFL debt figure is far higher than that of other leagues. MLB clubs owe $3.1 billion, according to MLB CFO Jonathan Mariner, though that number does not include the roughly $2 billion in financing for the two pending New York ballparks because that debt, technically, is not carried by the teams. The NBA declined to make public its debt total, but the league’s policies limit all team borrowings to $175 million per club. The NHL also declined to discuss any aspect of its debt, but finance sources have previously said that the league allows teams to carry debt up to half of their franchise value.

“It is a very significant figure,” said Marc Ganis, a sports consultant with ties to several league teams, of the NFL figure. “I would estimate half is related to stadium debt.”

While the $9 billion figure may seem high, the NFLPA’s outside counsel, Jeffrey Kessler, said he is not concerned by it because league cash flows can support the costs. He declined to say how much league cash flows are. League revenue in 2006 was $6.97 billion, the union said in a collusion complaint made to Special Master Stephen Burbank, and NFLPA Executive Director Gene Upshaw, in announcing that case, said league revenue was expected to rise to $9 billion.

The NFL’s debt load has become a bone of contention with the union, which last month filed the collusion complaint against the league because of the debt reduction plan. In his Oct. 31, 2007, letter, Levy wrote to Kessler that the debt reduction resolution addressed concerns by the league about steep borrowings and general credit conditions.

The letter was contained as an exhibit in the union’s March 7 response to the league’s effort to remove Judge David Doty from oversight of the collective-bargaining agreement. The league, in a complaint filed earlier this year in his court, the U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, charged that Doty is biased against management.

Both sides have been making aggressive moves in anticipation of the owners opting out of the CBA. Since signing the deal in March 2006, owners have decried it as too player-friendly.

In addition to seeking the removal of Doty from the CBA matter, the league has asked that all federal court supervision of the CBA be removed and has hired Proskauer Rose attorney Bob Batterman as a labor adviser. Batterman is well-known for steering the NHL through its lockout in 2004-05.

The NFLPA, meanwhile, has filed the collusion case and is preparing its players for a possible lockout in 2011. If the owners opt out this year, the 2010 season would become the last year of the deal and contain no salary cap.

The NFL debt figure likely includes all team borrowings and the league’s G-3 stadium funding plan, which has granted nearly $1.4 billion to 11 stadium projects since 1999, and might include the league’s lending pool, or credit facility. The NFL did not respond to requests for comment.

Another factor in the debt figure is that a select few projects eat up a large chunk of the amount. The New York Jets and Giants borrowed $1.3 billion for their new stadium and received $300 million from the G-3 program. The Dallas Cowboys borrowed $475 million for their new stadium and got $76.5 million from G-3. That totals nearly one-quarter of the league’s entire debt burden.

In addition to the plan to reduce team debt caps from $150 million to $120 million by 2010, the NFL wants to reduce overall debt by $1 billion in that period.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.main&articleId=58377&requestTimeout=900

BeefStew25
03-31-2008, 05:14 PM
You may be right, and you pegged that one, but who picked Denver to pave the way?

Im lookin at Jerry Jones building a stadium that could house NASA on its patio, and selling huge private suites cause thats one area the CBA doesnt allow anyone else to tap the individual franchises at.

Bowlen better bring us up to speed quick, or we wont be in the top ten for very long. Forget about fronting your position. Try and make it so that no matter what happens, the Broncos are gonna be sittin pretty.:mad:

Bowlen is one of the CBA dudes. He is going to head into the negociations with the Union claiming that because of the players share, he has to cut salary on the non-ops side.

Of course, maybe he needs to look at some of the dead money he is paying out.

The guys he fired made a pittance compared to his bottom line. It was all show.

Lonestar
03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Bowlen is one of the CBA dudes. He is going to head into the negociations with the Union claiming that because of the players share, he has to cut salary on the non-ops side.

Of course, maybe he needs to look at some of the dead money he is paying out.

The guys he fired made a pittance compared to his bottom line. It was all show.

But it was still a cut..

I have zero tolerance for some clown player that makes 2.5 mil a year in salary and bonuses crying poor me..

They have to get control of back loaded contracts and rookies that get 10-30 mil guaranteed contracts..

I also think that most contracts should have incentive clauses, based on the number of snaps, and any particular measurable like tackles, sacks, harassments, pick, yards etc.

Get rid of the true clowns and get back to real football.

NO one IMO can justify getting $37.5K for each time their foot strikes the ball.

I could care less about these clowns having a short career.. for the most part none of them has take advantage of the education they received for playing football.

So a guy only makes $25 million in a short career . Frankly I will not weep for him if he has to retire after 4 years..

Figure out how to invest wisely up front..

BeefStew25
03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Jwhiz, if you feel that strongly, you might need to maybe watch pro soccer or something.

WARHORSE
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Jwhiz, if you feel that strongly, you might need to maybe watch pro soccer or something.

Beckham looks really cool with his shirt off.

I dont watch soccer unless Im sleeping, but thats what my daughter said.:coffee:

BeefStew25
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Beckham looks really cool with his shirt off.

I dont watch soccer unless Im sleeping, but thats what my daughter said.:coffee:

Becks has some underwear spread coming out. I will mail you the hard copy, War.