PDA

View Full Version : Seattles Draft day Play?

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
They use the 6th pick.

Then sign Brandon right there in the draft room.

Compensation left? 14th selection.

:coffee:

The look on the Broncos faces in the draft room:

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

BroncoWave
03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure that's allowed. I think you have to have YOUR OWN first round pick to be able to sign someone with a first round tender.

I highly doubt your scenario is legal.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure that's allowed. I think you have to have YOUR OWN first round pick to be able to sign someone with a first round tender.

I highly doubt your scenario is legal.

Well, I know for sure it doesnt have to be YOUR pick. Im not sure this can be done, but I dont know of any rule personally that would circumvent this.

BroncoWave
03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, I know for sure it doesnt have to be YOUR pick. Im not sure this can be done, but I dont know of any rule personally that would circumvent this.

Show me where you are allowed to use someone else's pick that you acquired to pay the tender on someone. I haven't found anywhere that says that's legal.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I think on draft day, the Seahawks offer up a second for Marshall, and maybe a second in 2011. This after they have just selected Clausen (if he gets past Washington), andShillings (the rb?)....

underrated29
03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Doesnt matter because he will be traded then anyway. And or we match the offer.

Brandon is going to be used in a draft day trade, its almost guaranteed. Someo one is going to miss out on their guy and cough up what we want for him. Or we use him as bait to move up to our guy.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 04:16 PM

i think you are mistaken on this but it's a great idea if it were allowed....and i'd still be ok with it ! #14 and #11 would be ok,or we could likely quick trade the #14 FOR a 2nd and 3rd

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
All transactions and contracts have to be approved by the league office. No way they approve his contract in minutes. It's a fun thought Warhorse, but not happening.

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Someone just pointed out to me that the period to sign a RFA by another team ends 8 days before the draft.

Ah.....now I get it.

Restricted free agents can be tendered up until June 1st I believe.

But since teams are allowed 7days to match an offer, doing a draft day deal would circumvent the process.

False alarm.:D

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
i have to imagine that all RFA deals must be completed before the draft, since the tendered compensation is a 2010 draft pick.

also, my gut says marshall plays for denver this season.

claymore
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Show me where you are allowed to use someone else's pick that you acquired to pay the tender on someone. I haven't found anywhere that says that's legal.

NO can make the offer sheet, give up there #1 pick (32 overall) and seattle can then trade their #14 pick to NO for the rights to marshall.

Its legal, and NO moves up in the draft for doing a little paperwork.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 04:31 PM
NO can make the offer sheet, give up there #1 pick (32 overall) and seattle can then trade their #14 pick to NO for the rights to marshall.

but bowlen would just match the offer and decline the #32 because he basically said he wants marshall back,and the #32 is too close to a 2nd rndr....not what the team would consider "fair comensation" i'd say

e-Lou-sive1
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
So far Seattle is interested then Cincinatti,Chicago,Washington and probably Miami only because there was article where Zach Thomas thought Miami should seriously consider acquiring Marshall.This is beginning to give Denver more options and probably several teams making multiple player trades so that one of them can acquire Marshall.Denver will probably not wait for Seattle to make a last minute decision not without them throwing in either second round pick this year and with a first round pick next year.Either way I think we will get what we want for him.

claymore
03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
but bowlen would just match the offer and decline the #32 because he basically said he wants marshall back,and the #32 is too close to a 2nd rndr....not what the team would consider "fair comensation" i'd say

We dont know that. I personally doubt Bowlen would pay Marshall top 5 WR money just because he didnt like the pick.

If he wanted Marshall back he would have added the 3rd rd tender on him as well.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
By the time of the draft, the deadline for offering contracts to RFAs will have passed (April 15th). By then, Marshall will have already been traded, will have officially signed his tender offer from the Broncos, or will have not signed his offer (his rights still default to the Broncos) and would be officially "holding out".

The only thing that can happen on draft day will be a straight trade. By that day, Marshall will no longer be what's considered a "RFA" and will be either the sole property of the Broncos or of another team.

D1g1tal j1m
03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Why are people speculating these kinds of scenarios in which the Broncos get hosed in the deal. Are people so hateful of the FO (i.e. McD) that they figure they would come up with scenarios that make him look foolish.

The Broncos will get the compensation they think they deserve for Marshall or they will just match the contract and have him catching passes from Orton next year. Any poison pill scenario or trade scenario that tries to circumvent the system will be shot down by the league as soon as possible. There is no CBA so all transactions will be closely monitored to ensure chaos will not ensue...

UnderArmour
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
By the time of the draft, the deadline for offering contracts to RFAs will have passed (April 15th). By then, Marshall will have already been traded, will have officially signed his tender offer from the Broncos, or will have not signed his offer (his rights still default to the Broncos) and would be officially "holding out".

The only thing that can happen on draft day will be a straight trade. By that day, Marshall will no longer be what's considered a "RFA" and will be either the sole property of the Broncos or of another team.

This is absolutely correct. The June 1st deadline that was mentioned only applies to RFAs who were not tendered. The right of first refusal expires for non-tendered RFAs on June 1st, that is not the deadline though for tendered RFAs. The reason the deadline is April 15th is because teams have 6 days to match, making the last day April 21st, the eve of the draft.

Buff
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

What he said.

shank
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
What he said.

this

BroncoWave
03-11-2010, 05:38 PM
this

That

shank
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
That

qft

WARHORSE
03-11-2010, 06:04 PM
That

Thing he said.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Right... so he would have signed the tender from the Broncos, and will be traded away

arapaho2
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM

plain stupid..bad as some ideas on the broncomania

first off marshall would have to sign this offer sheet...second, denver would have 7 days to match ....certainly they would match any offer the saints would give instead of settling for the last pick in the 1st round...marshall has alot more value then the 32nd pick

Northman
03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Sure, Seattle drafts Suh and then tries to get cute and sign Marshall only to have Goodell take Suh and send him to Denver. Works for me. :)

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 06:31 PM
plain stupid..bad as some ideas on the broncomania

first off marshall would have to sign this offer sheet...second, denver would have 7 days to match ....certainly they would match any offer the saints would give instead of settling for the last pick in the 1st round...marshall has alot more value then the 32nd pick

This scenario can not happen because the Restricted Free Agency period ends on April 15, which is before the draft. If Marshall doesn't sign the tender then he's considered a holdout. After the 15th he's property of the Broncos again and the only way he can be gone is a straight trade with another team.

Lancane
03-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Actually Warhorse it does have to be the teams original pick, otherwise the league would have higher tenures, such as two first round picks. But there is no such thing, if Seattle wants Marshall it is the 6th or bust, unless they use a poison pill through a three-way trade, but it could cost them more in the end. I think Seattle will try and trade for Kolb, if they succeed then they use the 6th overall pick on Marshall. But Denver may sign him long-term before they pull it off too. So who really knows...lol.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Actually Warhorse it does have to be the teams original pick, otherwise the league would have higher tenures, such as two first round picks. But there is no such thing, if Seattle wants Marshall it is the 6th or bust, unless they use a poison pill through a three-way trade, but it could cost them more in the end. I think Seattle will try and trade for Kolb, if they succeed then they use the 6th overall pick on Marshall. But Denver may sign him long-term before they pull it off too. So who really knows...lol.

Couple things. NO WAY Seattle signs Kolb. Philly is keeping him, and it might take 2 firsts to get him. WOuld be stupid for Philly to get rid of him at this point for a mere 1st rounder.

2...Seattle can deal with Denver and not give away the 6th. Don't be foolish into thinking that Denver will only accept the 6th pick. They will literally JUMP at the 14th. I don't think Denver gets that, in the long run. I think Denver signs Marshall to his tender, and then trades him away for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next. But its not th 6th or bust. No way.

Lancane
03-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Couple things. NO WAY Seattle signs Kolb. Philly is keeping him, and it might take 2 firsts to get him. WOuld be stupid for Philly to get rid of him at this point for a mere 1st rounder.

2...Seattle can deal with Denver and not give away the 6th. Don't be foolish into thinking that Denver will only accept the 6th pick. They will literally JUMP at the 14th. I don't think Denver gets that, in the long run. I think Denver signs Marshall to his tender, and then trades him away for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next. But its not th 6th or bust. No way.

That is your opinion, but the rumor in Philadelphia is Kolb wants a shot to start, and if he does not get to that he is likely to go elsewhere after the season and not re-sign with the club, because he feels he is not getting his due. So Reid can say what he wants, but he is smart enough to know this could backfire, no matter what he is demanding, he knows that Kolb is no Cutler and to ask for more is asinine. We all have our own opinions on the matter.

As for the Marshall issue, if McDaniels and company traded Brandon Marshall for two second round picks he would find himself being highly ridiculed by the media and around the league; let alone many of the fans would be up in arms. He may not care what the fans think, but his boss does...and Bowlen wants to keep him, and is likely to only want to part from him with fair compensation...

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
That is your opinion, but the rumor in Philadelphia is Kolb wants a shot to start, and if he does not get to that he is likely to go elsewhere after the season and not re-sign with the club, because he feels he is not getting his due. So Reid can say what he wants, but he is smart enough to know this could backfire, no matter what he is demanding, he knows that Kolb is no Cutler and to ask for more is asinine. We all have our own opinions on the matter.

As for the Marshall issue, if McDaniels and company traded Brandon Marshall for two second round picks he would find himself being highly ridiculed by the media and around the league; let alone many of the fans would be up in arms. He may not care what the fans think, but his boss does...and Bowlen wants to keep him, and is likely to only want to part from him with fair compensation...

I would say that he would play hardball for a player that he wants on the team, but I don't think Marshall is that guy. I truly believe McD does NOT want him on the team. He's absolutely not going to get the 6th pick, and he knows that. The 14th is his best hope right now. If Seattle gives up a 2nd (38th pick) and a player, and a 2nd next year... that may be the best value McD can get. I just don't think McD passes that over .. not when he doesn't want Marshall on the team.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Of course he's not going to get 2 for Kolb, but it woudl be stupid for them to trade Kolb away now, after they JUST drafted him. That would be retarded. WHats the gain?

You keep Kolb because you know if (IF) you keep McNabb this season, then you give Kolb the chance to compete for the starting role. If he's not your starter at the beginning of the season, he very well could be by the end. Then, if you find that he has the skills to be your starter, you franchise tag him as its the last year wht McNabb on the roster. You sure as hell aren't going to have Vick as your starter. So you franchise so that you can work out a long-term contract with him.

I just think it would be absolutely ridiculous for Philly to do this with an aged (near retirement) QB on the roster and Vick. Makes no sense. They would end up having to use that pick, on yet ANOTHER QB.

But hey.. we'll find out.

Lancane
03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I would say that he would play hardball for a player that he wants on the team, but I don't think Marshall is that guy. I truly believe McD does NOT want him on the team. He's absolutely not going to get the 6th pick, and he knows that. The 14th is his best hope right now. If Seattle gives up a 2nd (38th pick) and a player, and a 2nd next year... that may be the best value McD can get. I just don't think McD passes that over .. not when he doesn't want Marshall on the team.

I understand what your saying, but I am of the opinion that McDaniels is not the boss, no matter what he wants to believe. Remember Bowlen pretty much stated the same thing before hiring McDaniels, and Xanders has more say in this or so I believe then the Head Coach...but you may be right, I do not think any of us really knows who is actually wearing the pants out of the three...but I have a hard time seeing Bowlen as McDaniel's *****, if you know what I'm getting at! Either way the draft will come upon us quickly and we fans will know the truth of it, no matter which way it goes...But Schefter already stated himself that he did not think Denver would take less then a first for Marshall, and usually he is dead on or close enough.

Lancane
03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Of course he's not going to get 2 for Kolb, but it woudl be stupid for them to trade Kolb away now, after they JUST drafted him. That would be retarded. WHats the gain?

You keep Kolb because you know if (IF) you keep McNabb this season, then you give Kolb the chance to compete for the starting role. If he's not your starter at the beginning of the season, he very well could be by the end. Then, if you find that he has the skills to be your starter, you franchise tag him as its the last year wht McNabb on the roster. You sure as hell aren't going to have Vick as your starter. So you franchise so that you can work out a long-term contract with him.

I just think it would be absolutely ridiculous for Philly to do this with an aged (near retirement) QB on the roster and Vick. Makes no sense. They would end up having to use that pick, on yet ANOTHER QB.

But hey.. we'll find out.

Good point, like you said we'll see...who really knows, sometimes clubs do the strangest damn things...lol. I'm still surprised we cut Davis and Peterson.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I understand what your saying, but I am of the opinion that McDaniels is not the boss, no matter what he wants to believe. Remember Bowlen pretty much stated the same thing before hiring McDaniels, and Xanders has more say in this or so I believe then the Head Coach...but you may be right, I do not think any of us really knows who is actually wearing the pants out of the three...but I have a hard time seeing Bowlen as McDaniel's *****, if you know what I'm getting at! Either way the draft will come upon us quickly and we fans will know the truth of it, no matter which way it goes...But Schefter already stated himself that he did not think Denver would take less then a first for Marshall, and usually he is dead on or close enough.

Yeah. I know what you mean. But, sometimes the media is USED in situations like this. If all Shefter was told, is all he can report. Plus, that may actually be their (the FO's) intentions (meaning getting a 1st).

But, there is a reason that that Bowlen didn't/couldn't simply fire our DC around Shanahan. Now I don't know, as you said, exactly who has the contractual duty of being in charge of the hiring and firing. But I'm pretty damned confident that Xanders does NOT have more say in these matters than McD. We have not seen a SINGLE thing that would suggest this in the least. Not from day one. Everything that has been expressed from the FO of the Broncos, has always been that McD is fully in charge of player personnel. All we ever hear Bowlen say is that he "fully supports his coach." That to me, means... "I support his choices, and he's the one in charge of those moves."

I don't mean to say that Bowlen simply looks away, however.... it seems that is exactly how he likes things to be run. With him at a distance, and the coach having those responsibilities.

During the Cutler debacle, a writer (moriarty?sp?) ran into Cutler at a resturaunt, and wrote in an article that he found it strange that he could simply run into Jay when not even looking for him, out in the open, with Jay willing to talk with him freely..... yet our owner couldn't even get ahold of him??? Seems, to me, that Bowlen is/was just going along with McD on the entire ordeal. Now I know I don't know this, its just a strong feeling that Bowlen prefers to be hands-off. To the point of trusting his coach to trade away the talent if that is what the coach wants.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Incorrect. It has to be YOUR pick that you earned by your record.

claymore
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Why are people speculating these kinds of scenarios in which the Broncos get hosed in the deal. Are people so hateful of the FO (i.e. McD) that they figure they would come up with scenarios that make him look foolish.

The Broncos will get the compensation they think they deserve for Marshall or they will just match the contract and have him catching passes from Orton next year. Any poison pill scenario or trade scenario that tries to circumvent the system will be shot down by the league as soon as possible. There is no CBA so all transactions will be closely monitored to ensure chaos will not ensue...If this FO didnt make such frequent, weird, brash moves they might be given the benifit of the doubt more often.

SOCALORADO.
03-12-2010, 02:06 PM
In regards to Kolb, his contract is up at the end of the season.
He wants to start, and has said so publicly. he will not sit around and wait after this year.
Look at Brett Farve. Hes just had the best season of his life. Hes 40!
I dont think folks realize just how tied at the hip Reid is to McNabb.
Its McNabb, whom Reid drafted, or nothing. Hes defended him time and again, even when he benched him for a mere half a game, and he will stick with him till the bitter end.
McNabb is going nowhere. Hes healthy, hes a proven winner, and hes Reids guy.
Kolb was a ownership pick, in response to McNabbs injury issue at that time.
Reid will either win a SB with McNabb in the next 2 years, or be fired.
And it will not suprise me to see McNabb go with him to wherever he gets his next HC job, as long as hes healthy.
As for Kolb, PHIL is just trying to get all they can get. In the end i see Kolb as a draft day trade for a 2nd and a 3rd, or two 2nds.

SOCALORADO.
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Now watch, McNabb gets traded to MIN!!!!!