PDA

View Full Version : Andra Davis Released

Buff
03-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Per Vic Lombardi's twitter...

Wow...this one's a bit of a shocker. Broncos release LB Andra Davis today.

I'm equally surprised. I thought he played really well before he got hurt. I'm not 100% sold on Rolando McClain, but I'd say the chances of drafting him just went up.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 03:56 PM
yep

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm equally surprised. I thought he played really well before he got hurt. I'm not 100% sold on Rolando McClain, but I'd say the chances of drafting him just went up.

No kidding... this was definitely unexpected.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I have to say that this move surprises me. I don't understand it. He was one of the more solid defenders we had last season. Why release him now? Why not release Moss? :confused: This move stumps me a bit

dogfish

I'm equally surprised. I thought he played really well before he got hurt. I'm not 100% sold on Rolando McClain, but I'd say the chanced of drafting him just went up.

doesn't have to be mcclain, but the chances of drafting a middle linebacker just went up considerably. . .

i don't know that i really understand the timing. . . there's very little help available in free agency, and i can't see us going into next year with undersized woodyard as a starting ILB-- and we barely used larsen there last year. . .

just kinda feels like this backs us into a corner in the draft-- i wish we had waiting until we had a replacement lined up before letting him go. . . i don't see what we gain by releasing him now-- he did wear down and lose effectiveness down the stretch, but it's certainly not like he was so terrible we just wanted him gone regardless of who else we can find. . .

i do wonder if we might slide haggan inside. . .

Traveler
Now I'm getting confused. Although no superstar, Davis was one of the few LB that ciould diagnose and fills the proper gaps most of the time.

Northman
Unexpected but i do think we need a LB with more attitude and ability.

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
This one came out of left field. I'll be interested to see what the plan is. I wonder if they are going after Morrison.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/11/broncos-release-andra-davis/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter&utm_content=Twitter

In what may be the Broncos’ most stunning transaction of the offseason, the team released inside linebacker Andra Davis.
The Broncos also released defensive tackle J’Vonne Parker.
Davis, 31, started 13 of 16 games at the strongside inside linebacker position while helping the Broncos make the conversion from the 4-3 to 3-4 defensive system. He and had 90 tackles.
Parker, 27, missed the entire 2009 season due to injury.

Dreadnought
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Davis played very well most of last year. Smart and tough. This is idiotic, but then I am not shocked either

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
was there a roster bonus due?

Traveler
03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing something must be in the works.

underrated29
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
well since we have a thread on it now, i will repeat what i said just in case...

Are there any ILB that are RFA that anyone knows about? Guys that got tendered....We may be looking at signing an offer sheet or even a trade.

***just a far off speculation that will NEVER happen, but what about guys like tatupu, willis etc... I know not them, but are there any bigger names that our RFA out there?

BroncoWave
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Davis played very well most of last year. Smart and tough. This is idiotic, but then I am not shocked either

Almost as idiotic as simply calling a move idiotic without waiting to find out what the reasoning was behind the move.

West
03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Disagree with the release. It'd be really wise to keep Davis as McClain (if we select him) matures under him for a year or so.

I'm baffled. Bring on McClain!!!

Dreadnought
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Almost as idiotic as simply calling a move idiotic without waiting to find out what the reasoning was behind the move.

No. It was simply idiotic. He is a proven pro and proven performer. he doesn't cost much money, and we are entering an uncapped year.

What exactly are you trying to prove here?

claymore
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. We are right on schedule guys.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
brandon spikes anyone ?

Poet
03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm guessing Denver thinks that they can cut him and resign him cheaper.

BroncoWave
03-11-2010, 04:15 PM
No. It was simply idiotic. He is a proven pro and proven performer. he doesn't cost much money, and we are entering an uncapped year.

You're right, McDaniels just got bored and was like "I'm just going to cut a good player for no good reason".

That makes soooo much more sense than assuming that he cut him for a good reason or already has a plan in the works for a sufficient upgrade! :lol:

Ziggy
well since we have a thread on it now, i will repeat what i said just in case...

Are there any ILB that are RFA that anyone knows about? Guys that got tendered....We may be looking at signing an offer sheet or even a trade.

***just a far off speculation that will NEVER happen, but what about guys like tatupu, willis etc... I know not them, but are there any bigger names that our RFA out there?

Kirk Morrison.

West
brandon spikes anyone ?

No.

underrated29
03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
No.

Yes please.

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
i don't think this release was because of mcclain, specifically. it might be because the team grades this draft as having outstanding depth at linebacker. but to assume the team is targeting one player so much so that they released a guy in advance is silly.

because it's always so fun to invoke the mcd/shanny comparisons, this feels like the first shannyesque move made by mcd - releasing a guy at a random time for no apparent reason.

West
03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes please.

McClain is twice the LB that Spikes is. Spikes might be more talented but McClain brings WAY more to the table than Spikes. One is, he cares about the other players' vision.

underrated29
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
i don't think this release was because of mcclain, specifically. it might be because the team grades this draft as having outstanding depth at linebacker. but to assume the team is targeting one player so much so that they released a guy in advance is silly.

because it's always so fun to invoke the mcd/shanny comparisons, this feels like the first shannyesque move made by mcd - releasing a guy at a random time for no apparent reason.

Agree with the first part. Why tip our hand in the draft? That would be stupid.

And shanny had plenty of reasons to release the mustard, then sign, then release, sign, release, sign, release, sign and then for no apparant reason release.

underrated29
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
McClain is twice the LB that Spikes is. Spikes might be more talented but McClain brings WAY more to the table than Spikes. One is, he cares about the other players' vision.

Cant disagree there, but Spikey can be had in 2, still leaving us a #1 for whoever we deem worthy at 11.

Dreadnought
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
You're right, McDaniels just got bored and was like "I'm just going to cut a good player for no good reason".

That makes soooo much more sense than assuming that he cut him for a good reason or already has a plan in the works for a sufficient upgrade! :lol:

That's merely silly and insulting, and not even remotely close to what I posted. I restricted myself to discussing a roster move (for starters) and didn't insult another actual member here.

I don't like the move. It is IMO stupid and a self inflicted injury by a team management in whom I have zero faith. Disagree with that if you want but do not be sarcastic and insulting about it towards another member.

yardog
03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Andra Davis Released.

:tsk:

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
could also be that davis was one of the guys who "wore down" late season. and mcD said he was going to address every position and try to avoid a repeat....uhhhh 3peat.....4peat of that.

West
03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Cant disagree there, but Spikey can be had in 2, still leaving us a #1 for whoever we deem worthy at 11.

I don't think there's a player that's worthy enough of a pick at 11 except McClain that fills a need.

claymore
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM

OK. If it was a smart move the solution is already on our roster. Who is it?

dogfish
03-11-2010, 04:25 PM

why does it make more sense to assume that mcdaniels has a "good" reason?

you're assuming just as much as he is. . .

that would be a more defensible position if JMFMCD was a proven HC/personnel exec. . . you tend to give guys like parcells or bill polian the benefit of the doubt because they've earned it over the years. . . mcD is a one-year coach with a .500 record-- what has he done to make him above criticism?

just because he's getting paid a fat salary to run the team doesn't mean that he can't make idiotic moves-- note that i'm not saying this one is, but teams make personnel blunders all the time. . .

Poet
03-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't think there's a player that's worthy enough of a pick at 11 except McClain that fills a need.

Says Bama Boy. ;)

dogfish
03-11-2010, 04:30 PM
McClain is twice the LB that Spikes is.

no he's not. . . :lol:

higher-rated prospect? yes, but spikes is a hell of a prospect in his own right, and there's a perfectly good chance that he develops into just as good a pro as mcclain. . .

West
03-11-2010, 04:31 PM
no he's not. . . :lol:

higher-rated prospect? yes, but spikes is a hell of a prospect in his own right, and there's a perfectly good chance that he develops into just as good a pro as mcclain. . .

Yes, develops. But AS OF RIGHT NOW, McClain is twice the LB that Spikes is.

dogfish
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM

sure he is-- and i'm sure all the other tide fans out there would agree with your assessment. . . . :lol:

West
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
sure he is-- and i'm sure all the other tide fans out there would agree with your assessment. . . . :lol:

And the rest of the nation. McClain won the Butkus Award (Nation's Top LB).

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM

so does that mean he's twice as tall, twice as fast and can bench press twice as much weight?

come on. whether true or not you read like a mclain fanboy.

i can't wait until denver's first round draft position pops up and the team selects a D lineman. this board will be puking up criticisms.

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
If McD has indeed actually just cut Davis without a plan to replace him with anything other than a rookie before the draft happens, the move is completely idiodic. Let's see what happens over the next week or so.

West
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
so does that mean he's twice as tall, twice as fast and can bench press twice as much weight?

i can't wait until denver's first round draft position pops up and the team selects a D lineman. this board will be puking up criticisms.

A DLmen in the first round would not get any criticisms from me. I'd be more than happy to trade down a few spots to get Dan Williams. Our DL is embarrassing and it'd be a great pick, but McClain is #1 on my wishlist.

Traveler
03-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Spencer Larsen, come on down!

Poet
03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
To be fair to West, Spikes logged a mediocre 70ish tackles last year.

I don't remember what McClain logged, but he's better at almost everything. He's the better tackler, better in coverage, he makes more plays (Spikes is the Taylor Mays of LBs), and I believe that he's the better pass rusher.

Spikes could very well be the Rey Maualuga of this year's draft...and could wind up in the same place. :lol::lol:

However, we must make fun of Bama Boy and his homerism at all times.
:salute:

getlynched47
03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
This move makes me shake my head, scratch my head, then bang it against shit.

What the hell man? Andra Davis was one of our better players last season. I don't understand the move at all.

Not happy with this move at all.

Timmy!
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Hmm...I don't get it.

Spiritguy
03-11-2010, 04:47 PM
The biggest question for all of us now is; If your letting him go now, whats the plan? What's the stinkin plan?

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
maybe mcD just finished lunch with kieth bullock:confused:

silkamilkamonico
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM

McClain also has a much lower ceiling in terms of potential, which makes it a good pick, but not all that exciting. McClain is like a more polished Andra Davis in an ironic, unexperienced sort of way.

claymore
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Maybe its like the Nolan situation. Maybe JMCD asked Davis if he wanted to play for us? :D

underrated29
03-11-2010, 04:52 PM

I only have D guys for us as our frst pick...IMO the order is

1.Oderick
2.graham
3A.pierre paul
3B. Mclain
4. williams
5. Haden

Like last year, we have so many needs, I dont really think I could be upset at who we take unless its a kicker....Even Saftey-which we do not need would be cool if it was berry/thomas.

*****edit--- of course with this recent news Mclain could be bumped up to #2 depending onwhat happenes between now and draft.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, I really hope we bring in somebody in FA to compete for the spot. Leaving another vacancy to fill in the draft really shoots us in the foot when it comes to being able to draft BPA.

It would really suck to have Bradford, Berry, or who knows who else might fall only to feel overly obligated to take McLain (who, after seeing a good amount of Bama games this past year, don't think he's as good as he's cracked up to be IMO).

getlynched47
03-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Look who rated as the #5 Inner Linebacker in the entire NFL in the 2009 season:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=ILB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Will somebody please give me a legitimate explanation for this stupid, shitty move? Why Andra? Especially when scrubs like Jarvis Moss are still on the roster.

silkamilkamonico
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I only have D guys for us as our frst pick...IMO the order is

1.Oderick
2.graham
3A.pierre paul
3B. Mclain
4. williams
5. Haden

Like last year, we have so many needs, I dont really think I could be upset at who we take unless its a kicker....Even Saftey-which we do not need would be cool if it was berry/thomas.

*****edit--- of course with this recent news Mclain could be bumped up to #2 depending onwhat happenes between now and draft.

What's with the DE/OLB tweeners? Are we likely not expecting Doom to be in Denver, or are we already labeling Ayers a bust?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=ILB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Will somebody please give me a legitimate explanation for this stupid, shitty move? Why Andra? Especially when scrubs like Jarvis Moss are still on the roster.

Makes no sense. You'd think in an uncapped year, we'd dump all the worthless big money guys (Simms, Moss) and keep around (and maybe even pay what they're worth) some of our more solid, reliable starters.

Ah well, I'm confused.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
i heard he called mcD....."howdy mcDoody"....and that was that !;)
sorry just passin' time til' there is some breaking news as to why the move was made:rolleyes:

underrated29
03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
i dont know what our plan is for ayers. but he is not a bust imo. Doom will stay. he better...

but last year we had tyson Jax as our #1 guy then raji. we missed on both. This eyar we are looking hard a pierre paul...Both DE- and IMO jarvis green is not expected to be a starter. So I think they want DE help big time. Same for NT, although with Jamal now on board that might get pushed back...

Graham is the BPA and a Stud, so is Mclain. Williams and Odrick also but they are highly skilled..Just what I see....i mean until we get within a couple weeks we are all shooting in the dark.

Timmy!
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
After thinking about it, I blame Orton. :heh:

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 05:07 PM
This eyar we are looking hard a pierre paul...

your opinion or something you've heard/read? if the latter, source?

CrazyHorse
03-11-2010, 05:08 PM

I always thought we should have picked up Spikes and Trotter when then they were FA's.

silkamilkamonico
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
i dont know what our plan is for ayers. but he is not a bust imo. Doom will stay. he better...

but last year we had tyson Jax as our #1 guy then raji. we missed on both. This eyar we are looking hard a pierre paul...Both DE- and IMO jarvis green is not expected to be a starter. So I think they want DE help big time. Same for NT, although with Jamal now on board that might get pushed back...

Graham is the BPA and a Stud, so is Mclain. Williams and Odrick also but they are highly skilled..Just what I see....i mean until we get within a couple weeks we are all shooting in the dark.

None of those guys are DE's in a 3-4 scheme. They are either pass rushing ends in a 4-3 scheme or rushing OLB's in a 3-4.

Personel wise those picks don't make any sense for our team, unless there are issues with Doom not being here or Ayers has already been conceded a bust by the coaching staff.

underrated29
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
your opinion or something you've heard/read? if the latter, source?

Not opinion.

SOCALORADO.
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
There could be any number of moves that are available to DEN in releasing Andra.
Kirk Morrison for a 3rd is the 1st.
I would much rather have Morrison a proven star in the NFL , than the top 5 LBs in this years draft. A HUGE upgrade. They might have a deal in the works.
MCD might also think that Larsen is ready for the next step, and he can play with DJ in the middle.

yardog
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
After thinking about it, I blame Orton. :heh:

I knew you would tell the Orton story Timmy and now the have cut Andra.

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
There could be any number of moves that are available to DEN in releasing Andra.
Kirk Morrison for a 3rd is the 1st.
I would much rather have Morrison a proven star in the NFL , than the top 5 LBs in this years draft. A HUGE upgrade. They might have a deal in the works.
MCD might also think that Larsen is ready for the next step, and he can play with DJ in the middle.

though i feel odd fueling speculation, the morrison theory might have some legs; at least when you consider martindale's connection to him. but i have hard time believing the broncos will part with draft picks - unless they feel this is a team capable of going deep into the postseason.

TXBRONC
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM

I don't think it's that big of a surprise. His tailed off badly from about the midway point in the season.

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Even if it is Morrison, or even D'quell Jackson, releasing Davis before they are obtained makes no sense whatsoever. They both have to be signed to offer sheets, and thier teams can match.

West
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
McClain also has a much lower ceiling in terms of potential, which makes it a good pick, but not all that exciting. McClain is like a more polished Andra Davis in an ironic, unexperienced sort of way.

I disagree. I think Davis is a tad bit more physical but McClain is a better leader and has a higher IQ of the game.

And when you're picking at 11, you don't necessarily want guys with high ceilings. You want guys that can come in and make an impact.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
bowlen just saved some coin to throw on doom's contract:cool:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2595&line=169683&spln=1

Josina Anderson of Fox 31 KDVR in Denver reports the Broncos have released ILB Andra Davis. The Denver Post confirms.

The move is a surprise as the 31-year-old had a fine first season in Denver, exceeding expectations with 90 tackles and 3.5 sacks as a key figure in the team's surprising 6-0 start. The move could signal the team's intention to move Spencer Larsen into the starting lineup, though Alabama's Rolando McClain could be an option at No. 11 overall. Davis should draw free agent interest from teams with a 3-4 defense.

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
[B]The move could signal the team's intention to move Spencer Larsen into the starting lineup,

great. linebackers with poor pass coverage skills are awesome.

TXBRONC
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM

I don't think Andra was that great in coverage.

dogfish
03-11-2010, 05:30 PM
And the rest of the nation. McClain won the Butkus Award (Nation's Top LB).

no big deal-- plenty of guys have won that award who never did shit in the pro's. . . congrats to the young man on the accomplishment and all that, but it doesn't do anything to make him a better NFL prospect than anyone else. . . it's an award for the guy who had the best college season, not the guy who's expected to make the best pro. . .

West
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
no big deal-- plenty of guys have won that award who never did shit in the pro's. . . congrats to the young man on the accomplishment and all that, but it doesn't do anything to make him a better NFL prospect than anyone else. . . it's an award for the guy who had the best college season, not the guy who's expected to make the best pro. . .

I've been watching Rolo play for 3 years now, he's as big of a sure thing as there is in this draft. He'd be the wisest, and safest pick at 11.

West
03-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Hell, Doom sucks in run support but 95% of Bronco fans have a raging boner for him.

rationalfan
03-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I've been watching Rolo play for 3 years now, he's as big of a sure thing as there is in this draft. He'd be the wisest, and safest pick at 11.

heard that too many times about too many players, always in the weeks leading up to the draft.

dogfish
03-11-2010, 05:38 PM

he's pretty much gotcha there, westicles. . . .

no chance. . . i can predict with complete confidence that this place would errupt in celebration if we drafted a D-lineman with our first pick. . . a very large number of the old schoolers here have been BEGGING for us to upgrade the D-line for YEARS. . . it's been the number one hot-botton topic in draft discussions for longer than this board has even existed, dating back to mania. . .

of course you're always going to have someone bitch about the pick-- that's every bit as certain, as inevitable and as inexorable as death or taxes. . .

West
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM
heard that too many times about too many players, always in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Probably from guys that don't know dick about football.

How's that? Congrats to him for taking an exaggerated compliment and twisting to a literal compliment.

SOCALORADO.
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Lets slow down on this, we have not seen enough of Larsen in a 3-4 yet.
He has alot of upside, and he's been put into alot of different positions so far, which was totally unfair to him. Lets see him when he can just concentrate on ILB.

SOCALORADO.
03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Quick thought that just hit me.
Were doing alot of talk recently with SEA.
Trading Marshall for Tatupu and the seachickens 2nd round pick would be something MCD might just be interested in. Aaron Curry was drafted last year, and signing Davis off the street might be worth it to Carroll.
Could be a deal is in the works.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM

no chance. . . i can predict with complete confidence that this place would errupt in celebration if we drafted a D-lineman with our first pick. . . a very large number of the old schoolers here have been BEGGING for us to upgrade the D-line for YEARS. . . it's been the number one hot-botton topic in draft discussions for longer than this board has even existed, dating back to mania. . .

of course you're always going to have someone bitch about the pick-- that's every bit as certain, as inevitable and as inexorable as death or taxes. . .

True that, dog... I remember how excited everyone was the year we drafted Moss, Crowder, Harris, and Thomas. 2 DEs and a DT in the same draft and the world didn't end? We were ecstatic. Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out the way any of us hoped... :tsk: Damn you Jarvis Moss!!! You were supposed to bring balance to the D-line, not destroy it! :D

Ravage!!!
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Trading Marshall for Tatupu and the seachickens 2nd round pick would be something MCD might just be interested in. Aaron Curry was drafted last year, and signing Davis off the street might be worth it to Carroll.

Tatupa AND a 2nd round pick?? I don't see that happening

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Larsen can't get on the field last year when we're getting hammered for multiple hundreds of yards on the ground, but now he's supplanted Andra Davis relatively late in the offseason when nothing's changed? Unlikely.

I'm a Spencer Larsen fan, but we didn't suddenly drop Andra just to make room for Larsen. I don't want Haggan getting more playing time either. Ugh - that'd be ugly.

You also never PLAN to take a guy in the draft and cut your own players before draft day. McClain could go top 10 and we'd never get a shot at him. I'd guess we're taking a long look at the Raiders' LBs, with McClain as a fingers-crossed fallback plan. Cutting the guy you've got before making SURE you can sign the guy you want is risky business, though.

I'm with the rest - there's no NEED to replace Andra now. No roster bonus I can see that's due now, no harm in hanging onto him a while. Andra said he appreciated being let go early so he can find a job before draft day, so at this point I'm considering it a courtesy to him.

But we'd better be ready to go with our next ILB option soon, and not creating holes to HOPEFULLY be patched in the draft. Andra would have been better behind our improving DL. Let's hope whoever comes in here will be better still.

~G

Spiritguy
03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
A quote from Andra

“I respect how they handled it, letting me go now instead of waiting till later on. They gave me that respect. I really want to thank all the fans for their support and welcoming me and my family. It’s a great town. That’s going to be one of the hardest parts knowing we’re going to have to leave here.”

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-legacy-of-darrent-williams-will-live-on-for-all-of-us/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-legacy-of-darrent-williams-will-live-on-for-all-of-us/1)

TXBRONC
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Tatupu is a pro bowl caliber linebacker. That would be quite a drop off to go from Tatupu to Davis.

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 06:10 PM

This move would both make sense, and seriously upgrade the D at the same time. The Seahawks 2nd rounder is high enough(40) to get a likely player with a 1st round grade also.

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I can't see us taking Tatupu for our defense (assuming Carroll would give him up). He's Vilma-like, and Vilma struggles in the 3-4 just like I'd expect Lofa to. If Carroll lets him go it's because he's moving to a 3-4 and needs to swap some LBs out.

~G

broncofaninfla
03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Actually I thought Davis was a huge liabiliy in the passing game, te's routinely beat him. No doubt about it Denver has a plan, curious to see what it is. I'd like to see Larsen and woodyard get a shot to compete with who ever we bring in.

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Most 3-4 LBs will have a tough time matching up on some of the WR-like TE hybrids like Scheff that are popular on passing teams. They have to be big enough to shed OGs, they can't also be fast enough to cover TEs that weigh less than them and run 4.5 40s.

That's why McD doesn't want to have to blitz all the time. If he's not blitzing he can spare a safety to take the TE out of the equation. As long as that safety isn't Dawkins.

~G

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I hope we don't get Mcclain because of this. Mcclain is slooooow. He's intense and a hard hitter, but he's slow. Like a slow not as good version of Al Wilson. The one thing I think he would bring is leadership, but I really feel like Andra Davis brought that as well. Kind of surprised by this move. I wonder what we'll do to replace Andra.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm with the rest - there's no NEED to replace Andra now. No roster bonus I can see that's due now, no harm in hanging onto him a while.

NTM, Andra is only making ~ $1.5 mil this year which is pretty much peanuts for a starting vet. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe we've got our eyes on Antonio Pierce? He's a UFA that got cut by NYG. He's about the only FA ILB I can think of that's big enough to play the "Mack" position in the 3-4.

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 06:26 PM

I respect your opinion, but highly doubt this scenario. Tatupu is not a 3-4 ILB. Also Denver has already said they won't negotiate a trade for Brandon Marshall. It's a first round pick or nothing. Now they could be just saying that especially with Cincy and Baltimore out of the picture but I still think Denver will hold on to Marshall if they don't get a first round pick in the top 15. If I am wrong and they are negotiating, I don't think they'll trade for Tatupu because he really isn't fit to be a 3-4 ILB.

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm pretty much with whoever compared McClain to a younger Andra. I'm not sure what exactly we'd be gaining - other than a longer-term plug for that Andra-sized mold. I'd rather take a DT and sit him behind Williams for a year, learning the trade. DL take a while to get good. I want to start on that process now, so that when Jamal's knees explode we're not scrambling to start a rookie DL the next year.

~G

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
NTM, Andra is only making ~ $1.5 mil this year which is pretty much peanuts for a starting vet. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe we've got our eyes on Antonio Pierce? He's a UFA that got cut by NYG. He's about the only FA ILB I can think of that's big enough to play the "Mack" position in the 3-4.

Right. That was on my mind too. It's...curious. I wouldn't call Andra the perfect solution to the heart of our defense, but it's not like he suffered a career-ending neck injury or something...

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I hope we don't get Mcclain because of this. Mcclain is slooooow. He's intense and a hard hitter, but he's slow. Like a slow not as good version of Al Wilson. The one thing I think he would bring is leadership, but I really feel like Andra Davis brought that as well. Kind of surprised by this move. I wonder what we'll do to replace Andra.

Actually, he's not. He's not much of a "hitter" at all. He's a good wrap-up tackler, but he doesn't bring a lot of "pop" and rarely leads with the shoulder pads when tackling. He's a wrap up and drag down tackler more than a punisher. After looking at these, I'm not very impressed with him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJwMCgaxKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG6bwopKTc

Whoever put these together did a pretty good job of showing him in different situations, not just "highlights". The one thing that struck me and that I really didn't like is that if the play gets by him, he slows down and jogs. He NEVER tries to run down a receiver or ball carrier from behind.

Italianmobstr7
03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Actually, he's not. He's not much of a "hitter" at all. He's a good wrap-up tackler, but he doesn't bring a lot of "pop" and rarely leads with the shoulder pads when tackling. He's a wrap up and drag down tackler more than a punisher. After looking at these, I'm not very impressed with him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJwMCgaxKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG6bwopKTc

I'm not impressed with him either. I'd rather have Sean Lee from Penn State.

broncobryce
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Davis was HORRIBLE at coverage. I really don't have a problem with this move. I am a little suprised to see so many people pissed about it.

West
03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
LMAO @ you fools for degrading the guy for not bringing the wood. :lol::lol::lol:

That's about all you can find wrong with the guys game. And slow? The guy ran a 4.68 at Alabama's Pro Day. What more do you want?

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Davis was HORRIBLE at coverage. I really don't have a problem with this move. I am a little suprised to see so many people pissed about it.

McClain isn't likely to be better. He's...okay at pass coverage as long as he knows what's happening. If the TE gets by him though he's not gonna chase the guy down. McClain's not big on trying to make up for a mistake play while it's happening, from what I saw.

*shrugs* It's not like we're going from Andra Davis to a pass-coverage stud who kills ball carriers (assuming we were replacing him with McClain). We're going from a decent MLB leader with pass coverage issues and the tendency to get sealed for the big play to...a decent MLB leader with pass coverage issues who might have the tendency to get sealed for the big play.

So who are the better options? I guess I'm not sold enough on McClain or the Raiders LBs to be confident about replacing Davis with a better player.

~G

Timmy!
03-11-2010, 06:43 PM
LMAO @ you fools for degrading the guy for not bringing the wood. :lol::lol::lol:

That's about all you can find wrong with the guys game. And slow? The guy ran a 4.68 at Alabama's Pro Day. What more do you want?

http://vnmedia.ign.com/vault.ign.com/images/rerolled/homer-simpson.gif

hotcarl
03-11-2010, 06:43 PM
maybe he's gay? v:shocked:v

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd take David Hawthorne and Seattles 2nd rounder also. He's not well known, but can play the middle.

West
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
McClain isn't likely to be better. He's...okay at pass coverage as long as he knows what's happening. If the TE gets by him though he's not gonna chase the guy down. McClain's not big on trying to make up for a mistake play while it's happening, from what I saw.

*shrugs* It's not like we're going from Andra Davis to a pass-coverage stud who kills ball carriers (assuming we were replacing him with McClain). We're going from a decent MLB leader with pass coverage issues and the tendency to get sealed for the big play to...a decent MLB leader with pass coverage issues who might have the tendency to get sealed for the big play.

So who are the better options? I guess I'm not sold enough on McClain or the Raiders LBs to be confident about replacing Davis with a better player.

~G

Actually McClain is good in pass coverage. His length is a very big plus. There just aren't that many ILB's with his wing span. It covers a lot of passing lanes that most LBs can't cover.

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Now that I've said McClain doesn't blow my skirt up, I have to admit that I admire the hell out of Mike Singletary and he said McClain is a badass. I also preferred Vilma's brain and football instincts over DJ Williams and his athletic talent in that draft, so I'd be a fool to put everything on athletic ability. McClain recognizing a play .2 seconds faster than somebody with better footspeed makes them equivalent players. I think it's proven out that Vilma is a better LB than DJ, so McClain can make up for his weaknesses with his football acumen.

With Andra Davis here, though, we could have focused on a different position because the spot was already filled with a B-grade player.

*shrugs* We'll see what happens in the next little bit to clear this position up.

~G

G_Money
03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Actually McClain is good in pass coverage. His length is a very big plus. There just aren't that many ILB's with his wing span. It covers a lot of passing lanes that most LBs can't cover.

His length IS a plus. He has arms that go on for days. It helps mitigate the weakness, and will also help him keep blockers away from his pads.

~G

Lancane
03-11-2010, 06:53 PM

I doubt this means we are going to draft McClain, or that is my opinion. Actually, I think this opens the door for what is likely to be our biggest move before the draft; signing Kirk Morrison and though it will cost us our third round pick, it is well worth it. If we do sign him, look for him to get a huge contract.

atwater27
03-11-2010, 06:53 PM

And since when is there a good reason found after the broncos other idiotic moves?

West
03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
His length IS a plus. He has arms that go on for days. It helps mitigate the weakness, and will also help him keep blockers away from his pads.

~G

I don't think its a weakness at all. I've never seen him struggle in pass coverage. Sure, he's gotten beat before but who doesn't?

And yes it is a plus, he does a good job of using his hands when engaging blockers. The ONLY downfall to his game is that he isn't as physical as a Brandon Spikes.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I doubt this means we are going to draft McClain, or that is my opinion. Actually, I think this opens the door for what is likely to be our biggest move before the draft; signing Kirk Morrison and though it will cost us our third round pick, it is well worth it. If we do sign him, look for him to get a huge contract.

I really hope we don't waste money on Morrison. He had one good year (2007) but the last two he has been extremely average.

Lancane
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I really hope we don't waste money on Morrison. He had one good year (2007) but the last two he has been extremely average.

Well, I will give you that...who knows. But either way, I don't see Denver drafting McClain; call it a hunch, but right now that is my opinion. I think Denver is really going to try and fill the needs defensively before the draft.

West
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, I will give you that...who knows. But either way, I don't see Denver drafting McClain; call it a hunch, but right now that is my opinion. I think Denver is really going to try and fill the needs defensively before the draft.

Could be true but as of right now, we have a hole to fill at ILB and McClain would be an ideal pick at 11.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

Busy Broncos: Denver re-signed DL Le Kevin Smith and released inside linebacker Andra Davis and defensive lineman J’Vonne Parker.

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Our defensive coordinator was his coach in Oakland, and knows him inside out. If he says that Morrision can play, I'll take his word for it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 07:08 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=69121

West
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Our defensive coordinator was his coach in Oakland, and knows him inside out. If he says that Morrision can play, I'll take his word for it.

Has there been any indication that we're pursuing Morrison?

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=69121

I can't download that video here at work. Anyone want to sum it up for me?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Personally, I think McDaniels is making all of these moves in FA on the defensive side of the ball so he can devote most of the draft to the offense. Just you wait, I already see him drafting a QB, G, C, WR (even if we don't lose Marshall), another TE if we lose Scheffler, and even a late round RB. He's an offensive minded coach and he (just like Shanny) wants toys to play with.

The only move I see him making on defense right now is CB because we're still pretty short (not intentionally ripping on Alphonso Smith or Tony Carter) in that area even with the new guy. We absolutely have to start looking to the future for real replacements with our entire starting secondary being over 30.

Ziggy
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Has there been any indication that we're pursuing Morrison?

None that I've heard of. It's one of the many ideas that are being floated by us armchair GM's.

Buff
03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Davis was just on 104.3 the fan... Guy's definitely a class act.

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1205875

spikerman
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I sense another Junior Seau "unretirement" on the horizon. :D

hotcarl
03-11-2010, 08:01 PM
who cares

Tned
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
i do wonder if we might slide haggan inside. . .

As I was reading your post, this is exactly what popped into my head. Assuming Ayers is going to take over Haggan's spot, and since I believe Haggan played pretty good, moving him inside is one possibility.

I don't believe this move could signal a move for McClain or another LB in the draft, because there is no guarantee we would get any impact LB. If that was the reason, the release should come after the player was secured, not 6 weeks before the draft.

This must mean that they don't believe he has a spot with the guys on our roster, but quite frankly I have trouble understanding that. While I know that he didn't play much in passing downs, on the early downs, he was in on a lot of plays.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I sense another Junior Seau "unretirement" on the horizon. :D

merriman maybe...no jr

Tned
03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Spencer Larsen, come on down!

Who's going to play FB, JJ Arington?

LRtagger
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Who's going to play FB, JJ Arington?

Coach doesn't implement 2 back sets too often...and he can still use Spencer in goal-to-go situations.

Spencer's best game of his career was in 08 against Atlanta where he started at FB and LB.

Tned
03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Coach doesn't implement 2 back sets too often...and he can still use Spencer in goal-to-go situations.

Spencer's best game of his career was in 08 against Atlanta where he started at FB and LB.

He used Larsen at FB quite a bit last year, especially in the second half, likely because our running game sucked so much.

As to playing both ways, that was an emergency situation. I don't think any coach would plan on that as the routine.

Rick
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Perhaps they feel Woodyard can step in.

When it comes to the inside linebackers, one is generally a run stuffing player who is better able to handle offensive linemen and stop running backs when the offense features a running play, while the other is often a smaller, faster player who excels in pass coverage. However, the smaller or cover LB should also be able to scrape and plug running lanes decently.

Maybe they feel DJ and Woodyard fit.

Foochacho
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Alot of the theories everyone is suggesting make sense, except for one thing. Why Davis when a scrub like Moss is still around? At least Davis can handle a starting role when needed.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Could this be a money move - i.e. they released LeKevin Smith a few days ago, and then re-signed him today. Possibly, this will be the same with Davis.

xzn
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I love Woodyard but I don't want to see him starting in a 34 defense. He's not even in the right zip code for being a starter ILB.

He's a demon on kick teams and an asset in Nickle packages, heck he's even okay in base personnel as a reserve, but not a starting 34 ILB, at either Mack or Jack.

xzn
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Could this be a money move - i.e. they released LeKevin Smith a few days ago, and then re-signed him today. Possibly, this will be the same with Davis.

I hope so, he'd at least be good depth.

LRtagger
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
He used Larsen at FB quite a bit last year, especially in the second half, likely because our running game sucked so much.

As to playing both ways, that was an emergency situation. I don't think any coach would plan on that as the routine.

Well my point was that was the best game he has played on either side of the ball in his career...so it is an option for short yardage situations.

We already have another FB on the roster that everyone has a boner for who can play in two-back sets.

JDL
03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
He had 9 or more tackles 5 of the first 9 games and then dropped off considerably after that... his decreasing level of play at the end of the season was a major factor in our collapse. He played very well early in the season but was mostly a ghost after that.

Never a bad idea to keep a vet around, but this probably isn't all that different than losing our DC... Davis probably wanted out... he'll probably go to Jacksonville, Miami or TB and return home to Florida.

Quite honestly... average ILBs are a dime a dozen... I'm not worried about it in the least... it is one of those positions where you can find guys to play adequate (in fact that is almost all you can find) - great D's have GREAT ILBs leading the D and we needed that more than anything and if this leads the way to that... I'm cool with it.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
it goes like this....
bowlen: hey get those young guys out there and play them.i gotta come up with enough cash to pay doom,marshall (or sign another 1st rounder)and bring in a heavy hitter from FA....
mcD:with another set of ota's and my super intense TC we'll get the younguns up to speed !.....gotcha chief:salute:

getlynched47
03-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Actually I thought Davis was a huge liabiliy in the passing game, te's routinely beat him. No doubt about it Denver has a plan, curious to see what it is. I'd like to see Larsen and woodyard get a shot to compete with who ever we bring in.

Unlikely.

Andra Davis was rarely ever in pass coverage. And when he was, he was in zone coverage. I don't even recall one time where he was in man coverage because it would be stupid to man him up.

He was a beast in the run game and good enough as a zone coverage linebacker.

TXBRONC
03-12-2010, 01:01 AM

I like Woodyard a lot but I don't think he's big enough to be a starting inside linebacker. Larsen is big enough but does he have enough range?

xzn
03-12-2010, 01:15 AM
There's no way in hell that Woodyard can start as a base ILB in a 34.

Love him as a coverage backer on passing downs, in a nickle package, or on kicking teams but he has far too little bulk to hold up in base.

He'd be undersized as a Will, no chance at all he could be a regular as a Jack, let alone a Mack.

SOCALORADO.
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
None that I've heard of. It's one of the many ideas that are being floated by us armchair GM's.

Its one of the 2 (Tatupu 2nd rounder) that i threw out there, hoping some shit would stick. All's we can do right now is speculate randomly right now.
It wouldnt suprise me at all if DEN does go after Morrison though.

broncofaninfla
03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the Broncos feel the solution to the spot that Davis held last year can be filled by somebody currently on their roster. It just doesn't make sense to cut a guy then HOPE you sign or draft somebody else. Is it Woodyard, Larsen, Haggan not sure but I'd bet unless they plan on bringing Davis back plan A is to use somebody currently on our roster. Free agency and the draft will most likely give us an idea on who will start come game one but for now I'd bet they have somebody on our roster in mind. BUT I'd say it's probably that the starter in 2010 probably isn't currently on our roster.

Tned
03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the Broncos feel the solution to the spot that Davis held last year can be filled by somebody currently on their roster. It just doesn't make sense to cut a guy then HOPE you sign or draft somebody else. Is it Woodyard, Larsen, Haggan not sure but I'd bet unless they plan on bringing Davis back plan A is to use somebody currently on our roster. Free agency and the draft will most likely give us an idea on who will start come game one but for now I'd bet they have somebody on our roster in mind. BUT I'd say it's probably that the starter in 2010 probably isn't currently on our roster.

If Davis' replacement isn't currently on the roster, than cutting him reflects the ultimate level of incompetence in managing an NFL team. While I haven't agreed with all the moves made, or things said, by McDaniels and company, I don't believe they are incompetent.

There would have been little, if any, penalty for holding Davis on until after the draft, unless he was due a roster bonus between now and the draft. So, I don't think there is any way they cut Davis with the plan to replace him with a free agent or in the draft. That is simply too risky a move, because neither free agent signings or players targeted in the draft, are sure things.

SOCALORADO.
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
If Davis' replacement isn't currently on the roster, than cutting him reflects the ultimate level of incompetence in managing an NFL team. While I haven't agreed with all the moves made, or things said, by McDaniels and company, I don't believe they are incompetent.

There would have been little, if any, penalty for holding Davis on until after the draft, unless he was due a roster bonus between now and the draft. So, I don't think there is any way they cut Davis with the plan to replace him with a free agent or in the draft. That is simply too risky a move, because neither free agent signings or players targeted in the draft, are sure things.

Yeah, it does seem a bit ballsy to just release him and not have a replacement.
I guess they feel Larsen is the man.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
None of those guys are DE's in a 3-4 scheme. They are either pass rushing ends in a 4-3 scheme or rushing OLB's in a 3-4.

Personel wise those picks don't make any sense for our team, unless there are issues with Doom not being here or Ayers has already been conceded a bust by the coaching staff.

Odrick is a perfect 3-4 DE and Dan Williams could play DE or NT. Otherwise, I agree w/ ya.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Tatupu is a USC alum...no way Carroll deals him away.

Biz1
03-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't know what's going on in Denver, but at this price tag Halas Hall needs to pick up the phone. You can never have enough LB's stockpiled.

After seven seasons with the Cleveland Browns, Davis became a free agent and signed a two-year, $3.3 million contract with the Broncos prior to the 2009 season that would have paid him $1.56 million in 2010. His 90 tackles last season were third on the team behind his linebacker partner D.J. Williams (122) and safety Brian Dawkins (116).

Broncolingus
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm...:confused:

Obviously, there must be something more to this story - as many have already said...

While I wouldn't say Davis was the second-coming of Mike Singletary, he sure did seem to be a reliable and serviceable linebacker...

Biz1
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Hmmmm...:confused:

Obviously, there must be something more to this story - as many have already said...

While I wouldn't say Davis was the second-coming of Mike Singletary, he sure did seem to be a reliable and serviceable linebacker...

Another player in McD's dog house?. He was still under contract for peanuts. It sure as hell wasn't a cap move.:confused:

underrated29
03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Maybe it is larsen... The dude hits harder than a ton of bricks. And his main job at that position would be to clog the run. Something he is very capable of doing.....Infact last year MUG and i were having a discussion about how we though Larsen should have gotten the job and not signed davis. simply because of his punishing style, and that he does not have to have great instincts because he is soley getting the ball carrier- nothing else.....

However during camp it became more evident we were wrong, but who knows, maybe he has said/done the right things to earn the job. Although I swear I read somewhere that haggan is the guy who is moving inside.......

Lancane
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Another player in McD's dog house?. He was still under contract for peanuts. It sure as hell wasn't a cap move.:confused:

Well, after listening to his phone interview, I really do not think is would be that. Could be wrong but the guy is a class act. Sounds like more or less that the Broncos have someone in mind to fill the position.

Slick
03-12-2010, 06:15 PM

I think they cut him to allow him more time to find work with another team. Davis' comments were all positive towards the Broncos, at least that's what I took from it when I read them.

Tned
03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I think they cut him to allow him more time to find work with another team. Davis' comments were all positive towards the Broncos, at least that's what I took from it when I read them.

I think cutting a player, that you have every intention of cutting, early enough to hook on with another team is a class move, and one worth of the Broncos. That said, from a team standpoint, they still have to have his replacement on the roster before releasing him. Hopefully they do.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, after listening to his phone interview, I really do not think is would be that. Could be wrong but the guy is a class act. Sounds like more or less that the Broncos have someone in mind to fill the position.

I think cutting a player, that you have every intention of cutting, early enough to hook on with another team is a class move, and one worth of the Broncos. That said, from a team standpoint, they still have to have his replacement on the roster before releasing him. Hopefully they do.

While I get that cutting him loose so that he may find another job seems classy and whatever. But when our team could always use depth at ANY position, why cut a guy that showed to be productive in what we were doing? If nothing else, he's solid depth and security. Teams that go well into the playoffs aren't thin in depth, and this just doesn't make sense from that standpoint. Even if we do have someone on the roster for fill that roll, isn't that yet ANOTHER depth spot we have to fill with a rookie or someone else?

I just wish someone could give me a logical answer as to how this improves our team.

dogfish
03-12-2010, 07:23 PM

ya know. . .

i'm actually wondering if nick greisen isn't who they have in mind. . . he missed all of last year after a TC or preseason injury, but he's still on the roster and listed at ILB. . .

he's nothing special, but he's another competent vet who's been around, has some starting experience earlier in his career and played at an adequate level-- and he's one of those guys who's played in a few different schemes and has some versatility. . . i don't know off the top of my head if he's played in the 3-4 before or not, but i know he's played both inside and out in the 4-3. . . and he's had a year to attend meetings, learn the playbook and watch film. . . i wouldn't be surprised if he's healthy now and the coaching staff/FO decided he gives us some additional depth and can compete with larsen and woodyard for PT if we don't land anybody we want in the draft. . .

edit: he played for the ravens in '07-'08, so he does have some experience in the 30 front. . . 33 career starts, 30 years old-- 6'1" 241 according to denverbroncos.com, 6'1" 250 according to NFL.com. . .

http://www.nfl.com/players/nickgreisen/profile?id=GRE808228

Elevation inc
03-13-2010, 06:03 AM
could be we are ready to see what larsen brings, could be they want haggan inside since he wasnt great outside, and a guy like brandon graham or derrick morgan could be a avenue they look at.....could be they really like nick griesen who was out all last year but is a former raven backer with inside expierience, he is pretty solid, but he was on IR all last year.

could be they really like the ILB class, with guys like mcclain, weatherspoon and spikes....

ikillz0mbies
03-13-2010, 06:21 AM
could be we are ready to see what larsen brings, could be they want haggan inside since he wasnt great outside, and a guy like brandon graham or derrick morgan could be a avenue they look at.....could be they really like nick griesen who was out all last year but is a former raven backer with inside expierience, he is pretty solid, but he was on IR all last year.

could be they really like the ILB class, with guys like mcclain, weatherspoon and spikes....

A lot of the media speculation is saying that Larsen has a legit shot at starting in the MLB position next to DJ. Woodyard also has a shot at the starting gig.

I don't know who said it, but they said that if the Broncos cut Davis to draft a MLB in the draft is rather dumb. You don't cut a guy before the draft since no one knows how its going to turn out, so I doubt that is the reason.

Biz1
03-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Seems to me they already had someone qualified to fill the position, this still makes no sense.

Ravage!!!
03-13-2010, 12:10 PM

so whats the reasoning? when do we find out? If we take one in the draft, is that justifying since we don't know if a MLB is going to be available?

If we plan on trading for one, does that justify cutting him now, when nothing is written in stone? When are we allowed to express the opinion that something is idiotic?

Lancane
03-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Seems to me they already had someone qualified to fill the position, this still makes no sense.

Well, it doesn't at that. When you look at the roster there are too many variables. Griesen is coming off an injury and is questionable at this point to whether or not he can even help the team in regards to depth. Woodyard is at least in my opinion too small to be a mainstay on the inside, I admit that I could be wrong, but a 225lbs. starting inside linebacker would be a rare feat in itself. Leaving Larsen as the favorite on the current roster, but even then Davis was not costing the team a whole hell of a lot fiscally and would have been solid veteran depth.

Sounds to me like Denver has something in the works, a trade or a free agent or agents they are looking to sign...something. Otherwise this really makes no sense, and to hope on someone in the draft being able to step in quickly to fill that role would be idiotic on a whole new level.

Elevation inc
03-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Well, it doesn't at that. When you look at the roster there are too many variables. Griesen is coming off an injury and is questionable at this point to whether or not he can even help the team in regards to depth. Woodyard is at least in my opinion too small to be a mainstay on the inside, I admit that I could be wrong, but a 225lbs. starting inside linebacker would be a rare feat in itself. Leaving Larsen as the favorite on the current roster, but even then Davis was not costing the team a whole hell of a lot fiscally and would have been solid veteran depth.

Sounds to me like Denver has something in the works, a trade or a free agent or agents they are looking to sign...something. Otherwise this really makes no sense, and to hope on someone in the draft being able to step in quickly to fill that role would be idiotic on a whole new level.

well i do know as well as the rest here should that martindale absolutely loves kirk morrison in oakland, he is a 3rd rd tender pick-up(al davis is a idiot)....but the guy is worth the 4-5 year contract, could be they have something for him in the works....morrison and Dj inside would be pretty nasty.....

Zweems56
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe i'm an idiot, but I think that I would love to see us hold off on ILB, leave the job to Larsen, and pick up Pat Angerer later on in the draft.

atwater27
03-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I still don't understand why we cut Davis? How did it improve our team?

Tned
03-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Well, if it puts Larsen at ILB, puts Hillis back in at FB and the RB mix, then it would help our team. Considering all the short passes we do, to not have Hillis' hands in the mix is crazy. By the accounts of his teammates, and based on what he did at Fayetteville, he has some of the best hands on the team.

Lancane
03-13-2010, 06:03 PM
well i do know as well as the rest here should that martindale absolutely loves kirk morrison in oakland, he is a 3rd rd tender pick-up(al davis is a idiot)....but the guy is worth the 4-5 year contract, could be they have something for him in the works....morrison and Dj inside would be pretty nasty.....

Completely agree, I think Kirk Morrison is the likeliest target, but as to the reason of why Denver has not signed him is fairly simple. or in my opinion that is; because I believe that Denver is trying to trade down from the 11th pick and add more picks or hoping that someone signs one of their restricted free agents before doing so...I really don't think they want to lose a pick. As for me? I think they are trying to trade down the 11th overall pick and the likeliest canidate is San Francisco...but will they do it, that is the question.

Biz1
03-13-2010, 06:17 PM

It didn't. You cut a proven productive vet(with a good attitude on his way out the door to boot)under contract for a measly $1.5 M or so 2010 contract.

There is no rationale.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/3/11/1368710/broncos-release-lb-andra-davis-dt

I know some here were happy with Davis play while I was critical of the signing, having watched him here in Cleveland. After eating crow for the 1st half of the season after Davis impressed, I was gradually disappointed by his play. The inside backers have to make the plays in the run game in a 304 defense and today's move, combined with the moves of the past week, say the Broncos were not happy with how that triangle performed over the final weeks of the season.

Biz1
03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/3/11/1368710/broncos-release-lb-andra-davis-dt

I know some here were happy with Davis play while I was critical of the signing, having watched him here in Cleveland. After eating crow for the 1st half of the season after Davis impressed, I was gradually disappointed by his play. The inside backers have to make the plays in the run game in a 304 defense and today's move, combined with the moves of the past week, say the Broncos were not happy with how that triangle performed over the final weeks of the season.

Are you defending this move?. If he was a Shanny leftover I could start to understand the release.

But McD just signed him just last year, and this guy was squeaky clean unlike Marshall.

Too bad we're stocked in LB's here...I'd LOVE to have Davis in Chicago.

sneakers
03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
I thought he played pretty well last year?

:whoknows:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2010, 09:27 PM
http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Get ready, Buffalo. RT @JosinaAnderson: LB Andra Davis told me that he has a visit with the Buffalo Bills on Mon & Tues.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Good for him. I hope he gets a legit chance to play.

Biz1
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
You should have kept him...unfortunately Josh McDaniels still thinks he's the shit in Denver.

Good luck with that.

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
You should have kept him...unfortunately Josh McDaniels still thinks he's the shit in Denver.

Good luck with that.

Nothing like average one dimensional over the hill MLB's in the NFL, I mean, those are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire.