PDA

View Full Version : RUGBY LEAGUE - Knight's Cory Paterson a potential NFL punter

monaroCountry
03-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Paterson the punter

By James Hooper | March 30, 2008 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5960611,00.jpg
Punting whiz ... Corey Paterson has been identified by NFL scouts. / The
Sunday Telegraph

THE Newcastle Knights' boom young forward Cory Paterson has been identified
by Australian NFL talent scouts as a potential punt kicking star in the
lucrative world of American football.

Paterson can place kick the ball 70m (77 yards) on the fly and make a
spiral bomb come down with frost on it.

Spotted showcasing his kicking talents in a Newcastle trial against Cessnock
last month, Paterson was approached by Ozpunt NFL talent scout agency to
film a highlights reel for screening in the US.

Taped at EnergyAustralia Stadium a fortnight ago, the footage will be sent
to the Denver Broncos and New York Jets for analysis.

"I'd have to weigh up the options if the NFL thing goes further. I'm
contracted to the Knights until the end of next season. If it comes off I'd
obviously have a look at it.

"They were just watching me do some kick-offs one day and then I just got a
phone call off them.''

The NFL talent scout who spotted Paterson, Ozpunt's Paul Shepherd, rates the
Newcastle forward as "a cut above'' American football standard.

Shepherd predicted the NFL would soon become inundated with Australian punt
kickers due to the wealth of talent here.

"Cory's definitely got what it takes to cut it in the NFL - he's kicking
above NFL standard at the moment but his technique just needs some work,''
Shepherd said.

Retired AFL player Darren Bennett pioneered Australian punt kickers in the
NFL, establishing himself as a star for the San Diego Chargers throughout
the 1990s.

Other retired AFL stars who have made it in the US market include Ben
Graham, who signed a $6million six-year contract with the New York Jets in
May 2006, and Sav Rocca, brother of Collingwood star Anthony Rocca.

Testing done by Oztag revealed his "hang time'' with an NFL ball was the
equal of other punt kickers in the US. But his only drop kick in an NRL
match wasn't exactly out of the Nathan Cayless play book.

As Channel Nine commentator Ray Warren called it last Friday night against
the Eels: "Well, he's pulled out the sand wedge instead of the seven iron.''

Paterson's reply? "I should have got the driver out.''

Cory Paterson Stat

Height: 6’5
Weight: 232lb

Newcastle NRL video of Cory Paterson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8D5ivwn5-g

shank
03-30-2008, 12:42 AM
this is exactly what i want.

i have been preaching to my friends about how badass an aussie rules/rugby guy would be as a punter in the nfl. they are tough as nails, actual athletes, can tackle, and i've seen aussie rules guys punt a ball like 40 yards while running full speed sideways, and have the punt land in the arms of a teammate in stride. these guys are good, and signing one will free up a pick.

i'm on board.

honz
03-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Punter? Stick him in as a WR!

That would be sweet if he wanted to come here and is actually an above average punter...he looks like the type of punter that could save a few touchdowns with some badass tackles as well.

shank
03-30-2008, 02:11 AM
holy shit, he's only 2 months older than me.

NameUsedBefore
03-30-2008, 02:42 AM
We had a rugby-player as a punter in Mat McBriar. He plays for the Cowboys now :tsk:

We shouldn't pass up another opportunity.

BOSSHOGG30
03-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Interesting prospect. I like his toughness and size. Thanks for the article. I hope he does well. Denver badly needs a punter too, so it shouldn't be hard to make this team if he can learn quickly.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 09:10 AM
...and those Rugby guys usually like to take someone head off if the ball is returned too...

Den21vsBal19
03-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Don't forget, he'll also be used to drop kicking goals as well............

BOSSHOGG30
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
too bad Denver doesn't check out Sebastien Chabal. The guy would make for an interesting MLB. The guy is a beast.

BOSSHOGG30
04-05-2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0HkXqFlec
Sebastien Chabal Video 6'2" 255lbs

Kapaibro
04-05-2008, 11:09 AM
too bad Denver doesn't check out Sebastien Chabal. The guy would make for an interesting MLB. The guy is a beast.

I think the NFL has laws against using defrosted Neanderthals as players.

Darren Bennett made a number of tackles in his career. His first game he made about 4 and scared the crap out of the coach.

AFL players are much better kickers than NRL. Rugby guys tend to be better for place kicking.

haroldthebarrel
04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I wish Denver would use their practise squad with players like him other than cbs and rbs who never really become great players anyway.

The idiotic thing is that we have had such little patience with especially punters and thus have had punters like Harris, Baker McBriar and more becoming decent to above average punters for other teams.
I am also certain, or nearly certain that Ernster will be a good punter elsewhere.
He has the legs but doesnt seem to make it in games. That usually means it is mental, and that is correctable.

Hoshdude7
04-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Damn! He could punt to Devin Hester and then tackle him!

Lonestar
04-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I wish Denver would use their practise squad with players like him other than cbs and rbs who never really become great players anyway.

The idiotic thing is that we have had such little patience with especially punters and thus have had punters like Harris, Baker McBriar and more becoming decent to above average punters for other teams.
I am also certain, or nearly certain that Ernster will be a good punter elsewhere.
He has the legs but doesnt seem to make it in games. That usually means it is mental, and that is correctable.

So far it has not been correctable.. now for how many years?

Den21vsBal19
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
To be fair though, last year was the first time in how long we actually had a recognised Special Teams coach, rather than one of Shanny's projects like Ronnie Bradford

haroldthebarrel
04-06-2008, 04:56 PM

perhaps more time knowing that we totally lost out on mcBriar and Harris who are now pretty good punters and we suck.

Lonestar
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
To be fair though, last year was the first time in how long we actually had a recognised Special Teams coach, rather than one of Shanny's projects like Ronnie Bradford

perhaps more time knowing that we totally lost out on mcBriar and Harris who are now pretty good punters and we suck.

The issue is mikey IMHO..

Even with a ST's coach, his disdain for anything but Offense..

Will the new coach make a difference? Frankly I'm not all that sure that even great coach can make a difference between the ears of a punter..

Maybe surrounding them with other players might help and those players can be coached and have schemes made for strategies..

Coach and punter are probably just be next years scapegoat..

Den21vsBal19
04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
The issue is mikey IMHO..

Even with a ST's coach, his disdain for anything but Offense..

Will the new coach make a difference? Frankly I'm not all that sure that even great coach can make a difference between the ears of a punter..

Yeah, if the guy can't understand the difference in the command 'Punt to Hester' & 'Punt AWAY from Hester', there's not really a lot of hope

Maybe surrounding them with other players might help and those players can be coached and have schemes made for strategies..

I'd like to see us employ two, revolutionary new tactics on Special Teams......

1-> On returns, all players other than the one with the ball in his hand are to get between the opposition & the ball carrier & place the nearest member of the oppoisition flat on his ass

2-> When covering a kick, it is allwoable to tackle the opponent's returner BEFORE he get's into our half of the pitch ;)

Coach and punter are probably just be next years scapegoat..

Yeah, I'm sure we can find someway to screw up on that side of the game, sufficiently that someone's head has to roll

Lonestar
04-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, if the guy can't understand the difference in the command 'Punt to Hester' & 'Punt AWAY from Hester', there's not really a lot of hope

I'd like to see us employ two, revolutionary new tactics on Special Teams......

1-> On returns, all players other than the one with the ball in his hand are to get between the opposition & the ball carrier & place the nearest member of the oppoisition flat on his ass

2-> When covering a kick, it is allwoable to tackle the opponent's returner BEFORE he get's into our half of the pitch ;)

Yeah, I'm sure we can find someway to screw up on that side of the game, sufficiently that someone's head has to roll

Todd was told to punt to him it was in an interview that had with him.. With NO ONE fro the Broncos denying it..

Todd would never have kicked to him without orders even you know this.. He would not have survived the trip home..

mikey has never placed a huge priority for improving ST's maybe the new coach can make the difference if and that is a BIG IF he does not get purged like all the other PROVEN coaches have been..

Den21vsBal19
04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Todd was told to punt to him it was in an interview that had with him.. With NO ONE fro the Broncos denying it..

Todd would never have kicked to him without orders even you know this.. He would not have survived the trip home..

mikey has never placed a huge priority for improving ST's maybe the new coach can make the difference if and that is a BIG IF he does not get purged like all the other PROVEN coaches have been..

Yeah, I know..........makes it even more painful

And we'd better make it a priority this time out, 'cause the only part of the ST's that worked the way it was supposed to is now plying his trade in Georgia

monaroCountry
05-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Another rugby league player with potential

Hit-run victim's wish to win big on the NFL punt

A HIT-RUN survivor struggling to ignite his rugby league career could become the next Australian to make it big in America's National Football League.

Ben Matterson has already confounded the experts by resuming his football career in the National Rugby League with the Gold Coast Titans after being knocked from his bicycle by a speeding car. And now the 21-year-old is taking on another ambitious challenge by having trials for an American football contract.

Matterson is on a meagre deal with the Titans and does labouring work to supplement his income. While he is scraping to make ends meet now, he could hit the jackpot as an American football kicker.

"I was always able to kick a ball reasonably well, so it just seemed a different avenue to rugby league or anything else in Australia," Matterson said. "I'd love to break through to the full-time squad in the NRL, but in the meantime if the NFL come to me and say, 'We've got a position for you', I'd take that."

The Australian Punting and Kicking Academy (Ozpunt) invited Matterson and Newcastle Knights forward Cory Paterson to a kicking session recently. Ozpunt's Cameron McGillivray was impressed and said the pair's physique and skill levels were attributes keenly sought in the US.

"A lot of the kickers in the NFL are five feet nine inches (175 centimetres) and 180 pounds (82 kilograms)," McGillivray said. "Ben Matterson is six foot four (193 centimetres) and 240 pounds (109 kilograms). NFL coaches are looking at guys like him and saying, 'This is awesome', because they are the usual size requirements of a tight-end or receiver. They're saying what we're doing will change the game."

For Matterson, the fact he is kicking a ball at all is a minor miracle. A junior athletics champion, Matterson didn't play a game of football until he was 15. And it seemed the former Melbourne Storm centre/back-rower wouldn't play again after the hit-run incident.

The crash left him needing shoulder and knee reconstructions, yet he somehow pedalled the four kilometres to his home to call for help after the collision.

"I was basically told I'd never play football ever again due to the severity of the accident and the uniqueness of my injuries," Matterson said. "I always thought I could play again, even though doctors said I couldn't or that it wouldn't be wise to."