Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Channel 9 just showed this live - CLARK GUILTY ON ALL CHARGES

girler
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Hang the SOB!

Davii
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
It will never bring DWill back, but hopefully this brings his Mom some sort of closure.

Rest In Peace Darrent, at least one of your killers will rot in prison.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/local/verdict.willie.clark.2.1554186.html

A jury finds Willie Clark guilty on all 21 counts in the death of Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

Jurors began deliberating the Willie Clark case Wednesday morning.

Clark is charged with first-degree murder in the New Year's Day 2007 shooting.

Prosecutors said Clark went into a murderous rage after a confrontation at a nightclub, and that he later told friends he fired the fatal shots.

Defense attorneys say Clark wasn't in a vehicle that pulled up besides Williams' rented limousine when someone inside fired the shots. They say Clark is being made a scapegoat.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
JUSTICE PREVAILS !:salute:
now he has to wait for sentencing and go through another murder trial and fed drug charges trial.
that dude is as good as toast !

Dean
03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
It will never bring DWill back, but hopefully this brings his Mom some sort of closure.

Rest In Peace Darrent, at least one of your killers will rot in prison.

Yeah, it won't bring DWill back but then again Clark won't be killing a third victim. Society, any society, must protect itself.

topscribe
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Great. He gave D-Will death. So he gets life. :tsk:

-----

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 02:35 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/cbsnews/2007/01/01/image2319372.jpgDarrent Williams
1982-2007
To say the least, this has been an emotionally draining day here at Dove Valley, and I apologize for not posting here sooner.

There are candles lit outside the front entrance of Broncos headquarters now. The office is silent; the hallways desolate. In other words, it’s the precise antithesis of any room into which Darrent Williams entered.

That was evident from the moment he arrived.

I have never seen anyone walk into a building in his first day on the job with the enthusiasm that this fast-talking Fort Worth native showed.

It was April 24, 2005, and the final four rounds of the draft chugged along. It is Broncos custom to bring their first-day draftees into Dove Valley on this day to meet the coaches and staff, answer questions at press conferences and display their newly-minted jerseys. Some players handle the event with distant, almost dour stoicism. Others bound from stop to stop in the building with the giddiness of someone barely one-third his age.

You could count Williams among the latter category.

A broad smile seemed tattooed to his face as he moved about the building with his fellow rookies — two of which shared his position: Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah. They drank the proceedings in sips with cool professionalism. Williams, on the other hand, quaffed the environment in gulps, grinning all the way, seeming to lead his fellow rookies along their quick trip around Dove Valley.

Perhaps I should have seen his unbridled joy coming, because Williams was never the kind of fellow who was going to slink meekly around. Three months earlier during Senior Bowl week, I chuckled as he high-stepped after an interception — in practice! Granted, Senior Bowl practices are about the most intense imaginable because each player hopes to impress the hundreds of coaches and scouts on hand, but that showed an ebullient, excitable spirit that would become his calling card any time he donned a helmet — whether it was in front of 76,000 onlookers at INVESCO Field or 76 media observers at a mini-camp practice during the horse latitudes of the football year.

Two years in the NFL wilds seemed to harden Williams just a smidgen. It does that to many; it is, after all, a collection of the best of the best at the game of football. Many players arrive in the NFL having known nothing but peaks on the football field; traversing the valleys and doing so with dignity and resolve is a lesson that not all are able to learn and a condition to which some cannot fully adapt.

Williams found those on the field in 2006. The Oct. 29 loss to Indianapolis in particular was crushing for him, so much so that the usually talkative cornerback didn’t meet the media following the game. A day later, though, he did, and even though the blame for the big day that Colts wideout Reggie Wayne had at the Broncos’ expense was shared by many, it was the second-year cornerback who owned up to what happened.

“I’m cool with taking the heat, because it just makes me mentally tough,” Williams once said to me.

In this case, Williams vowed to make changes in the game’s wake, even when the reasons for Wayne’s receptions went well beyond his realm of responsibility.

“I’ll play a little more aggressive,” he said at the time. But even when assessing frustration, he did so with a bounce in his voice and optimism in his heart. Sure, he’d been beat, but like the great cornerbacks he sought to emulate, he forgot about and soldiered onward. Six days later, as though he wanted to prove his point, he became the first Bronco in a decade to recover two fumbles in a single game in the win at Pittsburgh, pouncing on the football on a kickoff return and again after a deep reception to stifle a Steelers threat.

It was almost as though Williams declared to the world, “Is that aggressive enough for you?” as his procurements of the football sparked the Broncos to a six-takeaway day. Two weeks later, he bounded into INVESCO Field’s south end zone with his second NFL touchdown via an interception return.

A month later, though, I crossed paths with a more introspective Williams in the locker room following the win over Cincinnati. In the course of answering queries from a horde of inquisitors, he’d referenced some criticism from the media, and how he didn’t worry.

“I don’t care what nobody says about me,” he said. “My teammates have got my back.”

I don’t know why, but I sensed something below the surface of his remarks, so I waited until the crowd thinned to ask him more about the subject — to find out just how aware he was of what was written and spoken about his play. I figured he’d brush off the topic with a laugh and a smile. Those were the two best weapons in his arsenal; with those at his disposal, nothing seemed to faze him.

But when the question was posed, something different happened. For the first time since I’d met Williams, I heard a quiver of pain in his usually upbeat voice. It was not for what the public assessments of his play did to him. Rather, it was for those he held closest, and how they absorbed everything that was said and written about their beloved young NFLer.

“You know, I hate it when my mom and people in my family call me and say, ‘Keep your head up; don’t worry about what they say,’ and I’ll (reply),’ ‘What did they say?’ They tell me stuff they say,” Williams said on Christmas Eve. “It’s kind of sad, just how people think that way.

“It’s really hurting my family more than anything. That’s why I come out here and give it my all every week, because I’m playing not only for me, but my family, my teammates and my coaches. I really don’t care what people say about me, but ultimately, (my family) does.”

That day, Williams was feted by Broncos observers for his end-zone interception of Cincinnati’s Carson Palmer. But what meant more to him was how his teammates embraced him … just as they always did. It seemed like Williams was always at the epicenter of any on-field celebration, whether it was slapping hands with Champ Bailey after one of his many interceptions or getting a hug and a ride from John Lynch after scoring against San Diego six weeks ago.

His enthusiasm and disposition made him a sterling teammate — whether the team was the Broncos, or his family back in Fort Worth. He would do anything to protect and support both without hesitation.

Without hesitation … really, those words encapsulate the Darrent Williams to whom I asked many a question. He spoke boldly and honestly. Some might have construed his words as cockiness. But he always spoke from the heart — the same heart that bled just a tad on Christmas Even when he spoke of how his nearest and dearest reacted to what was written and said.

It’s still hard to believe that we won’t hear that voice around here again.

Late this afternoon, as the building had mostly emptied of the staff and players who gathered here today, I hobbled into the darkened, silent locker room just to glance at the spot where Williams held court so many times with the press, staff members and teammates.

Yet even if the room were filled, it would still seem desolate without Williams around.

A lively, engaging, bright light at Dove Valley has died. It shone with every smile that Williams shared with a teammate, a coach, a staffer or an interviewer.

All the while on this sad night here, candles burn out front, giving hope that the light burns on somewhere else.

But that light is no longer with us, and for this, my heart — and I surmise, the collective heart of Broncos Country — breaks tonight.

Spiritguy
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
A statement from Pat bowlen

"Nothing can ever bring Darrent Williams back or ease the suffering for (his mother) Rosalind and her grandchildren. But after three long years, it is very gratifying to see closure brought to this case. This process has been extremely difficult for the Williams family, his friends and teammates, this community, and the entire Denver Broncos organization.

"I would like to praise the long and hard work of the Denver Police Department and the Denver District Attorney's Office," he continued. "I also want to thank the Denver community for the overwhelming support that both the Williams family and the Broncos have received during this unimaginable tragedy.

"Darrent's legacy will live on for all of us in the Broncos organization, and the outstanding work done each day at the Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center is a tribute to his impact on this community. Our hearts continue to go out to the entire Williams family."

link (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-legacy-of-darrent-williams-will-live-on-for-all-of-us/1)

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9964

DENVER -- A process that began in the early morning hours of January 1, 2007, came to a close Thursday afternoon in a Denver courtroom.

After a jury deliberated over a span of three days, Willie D. Clark was found guilty on all counts, including the first-degree murder of former Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

"Nothing can ever bring Darrent Williams back or ease the suffering for (his mother) Rosalind and her grandchildren," President and CEO Pat Bowlen said in a statement. "But after three long years, it is very gratifying to see closure brought to this case. This process has been extremely difficult for the Williams family, his friends and teammates, this community, and the entire Denver Broncos organization.

"I would like to praise the long and hard work of the Denver Police Department and the Denver District Attorney's Office," he continued. "I also want to thank the Denver community for the overwhelming support that both the Williams family and the Broncos have received during this unimaginable tragedy.

"Darrent's legacy will live on for all of us in the Broncos organization, and the outstanding work done each day at the Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center is a tribute to his impact on this community. Our hearts continue to go out to the entire Williams family."

Williams was 24 years old when he was shot and killed near downtown Denver mere hours after the Broncos' 2006 season came to an end.

Though his life was cut tragically short, as Bowlen alluded, his memory lives on in Denver through the Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center, which opened its doors in Montbello in May of 2008. A sculpture of the 5-foot-8 cornerback stands outside, seemingly watching over the center, a place that provides a safe haven for many children in the community.

"This is going to bring some positivity to this community and this city of Denver," Champ Bailey said at the time. "And what better way (to remember Williams) than to put his name on it and have people remember that tragic things happen, but at the same time we can have something positive for these kids to come to and steer them away from that. It's a good feeling."

Darrent Williams: 1982 - 2007.

camdisco24
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm sure Darrent is smiling down on us today.
Justice has FINALLY been served.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 03:29 PM
God Bless Rosalind

http://twitter.com/PostBroncos

Rosalind Williams: "No one wins. My family didn't win. The Clark family didn't win. ... This doesn't bring him back."

Northman
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Defense attorneys say Clark wasn't in a vehicle that pulled up besides Williams' rented limousine when someone inside fired the shots. They say Clark is being made a scapegoat.

Well if he's a scapegoat i guess it didnt pay off to brag about killing a man.

T.K.O.
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Well if he's a scapegoat i guess it didnt pay off to brag about killing a man.

and now ...a recipe for "scapegoat"
http://fromargentinawithlove.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/25/dsc05015.jpg

claymore
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
God Bless Rosalind

http://twitter.com/PostBroncos

Rosalind Williams: "No one wins. My family didn't win. The Clark family didn't win. ... This doesn't bring him back."

The City of Denver won. A murdering cowerd is off the street. I hope he lives his remaining years in fear and pain.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e380c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Suspected gang member Willie Clark was found guilty of murder Thursday in Denver in the drive-by shooting death of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

A jury returned the verdict after an 11-day trial and a day and a half of deliberation.

Clark showed no emotion as the verdict was read, but he leaned back and looked at the ceiling once the jury was dismissed. He gave a small smile to relatives before he was taken from the courtroom in handcuffs.

There was no immediate word on a possible appeal, but defense attorney Darren Cantor told three sobbing people in the courtroom, "Try to breathe, OK? That's what appeals are for."

Williams' mother, Rosalind, wept as she left the courtroom. Cantor told reporters that Clark's family was upset and didn't want to speak to reporters.

Clark faces life in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for April 30.

UnderArmour
03-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Despite all of the nasty things said about Marshall's role in escalating the situation, as a human being I cannot blame him for the death of Darrent Williams. Brandon Marshall did not pull the trigger that killed Darrent Williams and he is no murderer. I realize this is not something that has come up on these boards, but reading the role of Marshall on that night incredibly saddened me. I can only imagine what Marshall has gone through and I fully understand why he has wanted to leave the city of Denver.

As a fan of the Denver Broncos, as a human being, I do not hold Marshall at fault. I hope that I'm not alone and that blame is placed where blame is due, on the ******* who fired on Darrent's limo that night. Justice has been done, but nothing can bring D-Will back. Blaming Marshall will not bring D-Will back. Nobody on this board to my knowledge has been bashful of Marshall for this incident and I hope it stays that way. He made some stupid decisions but even he doesn't deserve to live in a constant state of guilt for what happened.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Very interesting - Krieger tells how this all came together.

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/audioondemand/Story.aspx?ID=1205850

Northman
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
He made some stupid decisions

Yes he has, some very bad decisions.

FanInAZ
03-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I was on Broncosfreak back when DW's murder first occurred. Many of the fans at that time were impatient and wanting the police to arrest someone right away. I assured everyone back then that it takes time for the police to do a proper investigation so that the murder doesn't get off on a technicality. It took over 3 years, but Denver PD and Colorado's Prosecutors did it right and got it done. The city of Denver just became a little safer place to live because they did.

:2thumbs: To all of those who had a role in this investigation and conviction, GOOD JOB :2thumbs:

Bozo Jr.
03-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I hope that SOB fries!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
http://twitter.com/josinaanderson

Former Bronco Nate Webster on Dwill: "I guess we will have to settle for catching (his killer) who called upon his life. We can never bring back Darrent back, or his sense of humor. His kids will have to grow up fatherless, and deal with all those negatives because of someone trying to prove themselves with a trigger. We miss him, and his spirit. Dwill was our soldier."--Nate Webster

Former Bronco Nick Ferguson on Dwiil: "It's long overdue. It's been a lengthy process. I'm glad my teammate can finally rest in peace."

Ferguson to Fox31: "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about (Darrent Williams.) Even now I can hear him saying 'all ready.'"

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14659724

The verdict is in, closure still awaits and the memories remain.

When Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey heard reputed gang member Willie Clark had been convicted Thursday of Darrent Williams' 2007 murder, he said his first thought "was just what might have been, what should have been."

"It does give you some closure, but at the same time you think, 'God, what were all the possibilities that were ahead?' " Bailey said. "That's the frustrating part, that's the sad part because Darrent's not here and he's not coming back."

After roughly 12 hours of deliberations over three days, a jury found Clark guilty of Williams' murder, which occurred in the early-morning hours of New Year's Day 2007. Clark is scheduled to be sentenced April 30.

"It's nice to see justice prevail, and it's a credit to all those who have worked diligently on the case over the years," said Washington Redskins secondary coach Bob Slowik, who was Williams' position coach with the Broncos. "But the fact is I still miss D-Will."

Bailey and former Broncos cornerback Domonique Foxworth echoed those sentiments. They also said the verdict will trigger an emotional time for Rosalind Williams — Darrent's mother — who attended the trial.

"Rosalind's always been calm and collected, a loving person, but one thing I think is (Clark) is going to prison, maybe for the rest of his life, Darrent is not with us anymore, Darrent's kids don't have him and it's not a happy situation and I know Rosalind feels some for that guy's mom as well," Bailey said. "I'm sure it's just a little relief the trial is over, but it's not a happy situation for anyone."

"I haven't talked to Ms. Rosalind about it, if this makes her feel better, then that makes me happy," said Foxworth, who now plays for the Baltimore Ravens and was instrumental in the construction of the Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center at the Denver Broncos Boys and Girls Club.

"But honestly, it doesn't make me feel good that another life has been wasted. Not that this kid was going to cure cancer or anything. Obviously, he's not my favorite person, but I don't feel celebratory or have a sense of relief from bitterness or joy at that thought of somebody is going to jail for the rest of his life."

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen released a statement Thursday shortly after the verdict was announced: "Nothing can ever bring Darrent Williams back or ease the suffering for Rosalind and her grandchildren," Bowlen said. "But after three long years, it is very gratifying to see closure brought to this case. This process has been extremely difficult for the Williams family, his friends and teammates, this community, and the entire Denver Broncos organization."

Bowlen also praised the Denver Police Department as well as the district attorney's office in the investigation and prosecution of the case.

Bailey is one of the few Broncos on the current roster to have played alongside Williams and the only player remaining in the secondary to have been Williams' teammate. He called Thursday's verdict "another chapter in a long, sad story about someone who could do much who's not here anymore."

"You know, a lot of times I'll break it down in practice with little stuff he used to say, just to keep it around us," Bailey said. "Just little stuff like that keeps the memories there. I think we're always going to have the memories and we're always going to wish we had Darrent instead."

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/12/champ-lynch-to-help-darrent-williams-teen-center/

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey and former Broncos safety John Lynch will co-chair a fundraiser for the Darrent Williams Teen Center in September.

The exact date won’t be set until the Broncos get their 2010 schedule but it will be held at Morton’s Steakhouse in the Denver Tech Center.

The teen center opened May 29, 2008, nearly 17 months after Williams, a Broncos’ two-year starting cornerback, was slain in a drive-by shooting. Willie Clark was convicted of the killing Thursday by a 12-member jury.

pnbronco
03-13-2010, 12:13 AM
This is just so sad and what a waste. I will miss Darrent till the day I take my last breath. I'm glad the trial is over but I thought I would have more closure.

I'm glad that John and Champ are going to do something positive for the teen center and that it was built. I think in the long run that will bring peace for Darrent's family more than this verdict.

I can't begin to imagine how painful this has been for Mrs. Williams. When my Mom died from cancer it took me 3 years to feel semi normal again. That poor women has been in hell for the last 3 years and now maybe she will have time to grieve and work through all this pain. My prayers will continue to be with her and her family.