PDA

View Full Version : Server downtime this afternoon

Tned
03-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, we had about an hour of downtime this afternoon. Here's an update about what happened. (beware, there is some tech talk here).

First, the main reason for the delay in resolving the outage was that I was at a wedding (not mine) out in the boonies with cell reception bouncing between no service and 1 bar. I pay for a monitoring service that checks every 2 minutes to see if Broncosforums.com is up and running, and if it fails two checks in a row, then it sends me a text message/page. So, typically, I am going to be alerted within 4-6 minutes of the server going down. However, because I had limited cell coverage, that automated alert (and an email from Jrwiz) didn't arrive for about 30 minutes after it went down. Typically, this isn't the case and I am alerted almost immediately.

As to the outage itself, I run Broncosforums.com on what is called Virtual Server. Anyone that follows the tech world or stocks might have heard of Microsoft virtual server or VMware virtual servers. It is the movement in server technology. How it works is you take more powerful machines than you would normally dedicate to a single server, and than use a virtualization software to create multiple 'virtual servers', each one running its own operating system, having dedicated ram and dedicated CPU or processing power.

Anyway, the amount of money I spend on Broncosforums.com gives me two options. I low end dedicated server or a high-end Virtual Server. I have opted to go with a virtual server for two reasons.

First, the low end dedicated servers are typically single or possibly dual core processors, a minimal amount of RAM and only one hard drive, or possibly a mirrored hard drive setup for some redundancy in case a hard drive failed. With the virtual server I purchase, it is housed on a high end Dell server with an 8 core (dual - quad core) processor(s), a large Raid 10 disk array with 15,000 RPM drives, 32 gigs of Ram, etc.

Since I elected to purchase the highest level package they offered, I am guaranteed a large amount of that processing power and a dedicated amount of RAM. The actual performance of a high end virtual server on the high end hardware is much greater performance than a low-end dedicated server.

Second, with the high end VPS I get more support than if I purchased a dedicated server. If I leased a low-end dedicated server, it would be what they call unmanaged, which means I would have to do everything myself. With the high-end, managed, virtual servers I am expected to do a lot of the server maintainance, upgrades, etc., but I have support staff available to help me if I run into a problem.

So, what happened? Well, the currently virtualization software that are used in linux hosting can guarantee RAM and CPU time to each virtual server, but does not guarantee disk access. Typically, this isn't a problem, especially on a server with a very fast, RAID-10 disk array like the one Broncosforums.com is hosted on. However, one of the other virtual servers on the hardware node (underlying server) was hacked and apparently completely overloaded the server with disk I/O access. Therefore, other virtual servers, like Broncosforums.com, were essentially locked out from the disk drives, which resulted in database errors.

Since I upgraded from standard hosting to a virtual server 5 months ago, this is the first time this has happened. We have had an doutage (once brief and once about 30-40 minutes, for other reasons) based on another virtual server being hacked.

So, at this point, I think the virtual server still offers the best performance for the money. However, if this type of problem becomes more than a very rare occurence, I will consider moving broncosforums.com to a dedicated server. Over the last 5 months, I have learned a great deal about managing a linux server and while I would prefer not to be 'on my own' when something went wrong, I think I could properly mange the server.

Anyway, if you made it this far in the post, you know the details of the great Broncosforums.com outage of March, 2008. Hopefully, these types of outages are few and far between, and that next time one occurs, I will be in decent cell coverage and get the server down alert much sooner.

claymore
03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks Tned for caring so much. The Time, money etc........ its unreal. Thanks again buddy.

Den21vsBal19
03-29-2008, 08:50 PM
At least it wasn't just me then............I've been paranoid about any failure messages since my internet died!!! ;)

Appreciate all the work :beer:

MOtorboat
03-29-2008, 08:52 PM
I have no clue what you said, but thank you...now sit down and have a cold one :beer:

BeefStew25
03-29-2008, 09:15 PM
This is when I am glad the Freak imploded. What a great man. Tned, I :salute: you.

Tned
03-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the thanks guys and sorry for the downtime.

Lonestar
03-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Next time you can't leave town or go somewhere where you have not cell service..

BTW my email was within a few minutes of it going down as I was trying to reply to a post..

I rebooted got the same response and emailed..

Anyway thanks for all you do for us..wayward kids..

Tned
03-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Next time you can't leave town or go somewhere where you have not cell service..

BTW my email was within a few minutes of it going down as I was trying to reply to a post..

I rebooted got the same response and emailed..

Anyway thanks for all you do for us..wayward kids..

I have the monitoring service I pay for not page me unless it has two consecutive failures, to try and reduce middle of the night false positives (such as if there is just a temp internet hiccup that causes a single failure). It checks every two minutes, so theoretically, the page could go out 5 minutes and 59 seconds after the server goes down, if the server went down the second after the last check. Then, typically the text message/page arrives almost instantaneously, but didn't this time because of the cell reception.

When they arrived, you had sent your email a couple minutes after the page was sent from the monitoring company, but it took close to 30 minutes before they hit my phone.

Lonestar
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I have the monitoring service I pay for not page me unless it has two consecutive failures, to try and reduce middle of the night false positives (such as if there is just a temp internet hiccup that causes a single failure). It checks every two minutes, so theoretically, the page could go out 5 minutes and 59 seconds after the server goes down, if the server went down the second after the last check. Then, typically the text message/page arrives almost instantaneously, but didn't this time because of the cell reception.

When they arrived, you had sent your email a couple minutes after the page was sent from the monitoring company, but it took close to 30 minutes before they hit my phone.

While cell phones are great we have come to rely on the damned things to much..

There have been many times it get 3 voice mails all at the same time from a client that has been leaving them over the past 3 hours. Does not happen often, only when they count the most.. And they do not even show up as a missed call..

Going to church see you later

Escobar
03-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Anyway, if you made it this far in the post, you know the details of the great Broncosforums.com outage of March, 2009. Hopefully, these types of outages are few and far between, and that next time one occurs, I will be in decent cell coverage and get the server down alert much sooner.

slow down speedy..........we are only in 2008

topscribe
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
At least it wasn't just me then............I've been paranoid about any failure messages since my internet died!!! ;)

Appreciate all the work :beer:

Wow, after all the troubles you've been through, I'll bet it did cause some angst. :nod:

-----

Den21vsBal19
03-30-2008, 01:00 PM
slow down speedy..........we are only in 2008

:lol:

Wow, after all the troubles you've been through, I'll bet it did cause some angst. :nod:

-----

You'd better believe it!!!!

Tned's lucky with the text service though, I was Anfield a while back for a Liverpool game, and got a text message from my brother, saying that his train was running late..............I'd last taken him the footie 3 months earlier :laugh:

Lonestar
03-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Tned's lucky with the text service though, I was Anfield a while back for a Liverpool game, and got a text message from my brother, saying that his train was running late..............I'd last taken him the footie 3 months earlier :laugh:

Could you translate this into English please? For us Amrcian dummies.. :salute:

Tned
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Could you translate this into English please? For us Amrcian dummies.. :salute:

He was in anfield to watch a Liverpool soccer game.

He received a text message from his brother, stating that his train was running late.

The text message was sent three months earlier when he last was meeting his brother to go to a soccer game.

How did I do with the translation, Den?

Lonestar
03-30-2008, 04:03 PM

He received a text message from his brother, stating that his train was running late.

The text message was sent three months earlier when he last was meeting his brother to go to a soccer game.

Try again some of us missed that class in school:eek:

Den21vsBal19
03-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Spot on :2thumbs:

Try again some of us missed that class in school:eek:

Long and short of it, my brother sent me a text message that for some bizarre reason took three months to get to my phone :confused:

Lonestar
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Spot on :2thumbs:

Long and short of it, my brother sent me a text message that for some bizarre reason took three months to get to my phone :confused:

Sounds like the pony express is not working in the UK.. :mad:

Tned
03-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Sounds like the pony express is not working in the UK.. :mad:

You don't want to hear ALL the things that don't work right in the UK!!!!

LordTrychon
03-30-2008, 09:30 PM
You're not allowed out of cell range again, Tned... ;)

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 09:37 PM

TIA.

Tned
03-30-2008, 09:42 PM

TIA.

That is why I have all but given up golf. I get cell coverage on two of the eighteen holes :sad:

Bronco9798
03-30-2008, 09:54 PM

If he's hanging out in Arkansas, he's out of range of reality and the real world. :D

Tned
03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
If he's hanging out in Arkansas, he's out of range of reality and the real world. :D

Not hanging out in Arkansas, I think of it more like exiled or imprisoned. :lol:

Bronco9798
03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Not hanging out in Arkansas, I think of it more like exiled or imprisoned. :lol:

Imprisoned is a good word. I have (work) experience there!!

LordTrychon
03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
That is why I have all but given up golf. I get cell coverage on two of the eighteen holes :sad:

You kidding me?

I WISH I couldn't get calls from work on the rare occassion I make it to the course.

:salute:

Den21vsBal19
03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
You don't want to hear ALL the things that don't work right in the UK!!!!
You don't know the half of it ;)

Tned
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
You don't know the half of it ;)

lol, having more or less lived there for 8 months, I have some clues. Something you can relate to, I could never get ISDN working properly in the appartment I staid in towards the end of the trip (most of the time was in hotels). That's just the tip of the iceberg/horror stories...

Den21vsBal19
03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Have you head about the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow? :eek:

A right screwup!!!!!

Heathrow chaos could cost BA £50m (http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2160473.0.More_flights_grounded_as_Hea throw_chaos_could_cost_BA_50m.php)

Tned
03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Have you head about the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow? :eek:

A right screwup!!!!!

Heathrow chaos could cost BA £50m (http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2160473.0.More_flights_grounded_as_Hea throw_chaos_could_cost_BA_50m.php)

I'll read it. Last time I flew out of Heathrow (about 6 years ago) it was still pretty early in the construction from what I remember. I have heard some of the people there I know talking about it.

I fly Delta, so I always fly into Gatwick.

Den21vsBal19
03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Let me know in advance, I'm sure we can find some way to screw that up for ya ;)